zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

431 posts in this topic match your search for posts by whysnow. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2601 8 years ago

would love to see a spinner on the right orbit of aliens!

#2606 8 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

There's already one on the left.

I like symmetry of spinners and ripping one on an arbit shot

#2607 8 years ago

I would also like to see the return or lighting a spinner to increase value! and an insert light to go along with it.

2 months later
#3223 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe Alien will be a trojan horse to give Full Throttle more of a chance.

For me, full throttle is what is giving alien a chance. That is the game actively being built and getting the gears moving. Sure will be cool to see alien but without fullt i would not even be considering alien.

What i really hope is that we eventually see a wooly kit!

1 week later
#3464 8 years ago

Looking forward to the reveal Aurich!

Side note, fing thread becomes like swiss cheese once you put a person on ignore. i have never used it till recently and have found it to be a pretty slick feature and has streamlined much of my reading on pinside. just wish more would do it and then the noise ratio may drop over time.

#3756 8 years ago

Looks pretty cool Aurich. Lightin is going to be VERY important for the immersion on this game!

#3800 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The only bits that at the moment seem a bit incongruent are the red bug stomper the nostromo ship/emblem. The style of those seems different to the rest of the p/f.

agreed that this feels a bit out of place but cant really decide till full populated. I am guessing more color and texture for the plastics.

#4095 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Last PF art that I didn't hear a negative peep about was Metallica.

that was before Pinside became certified in art critique...

1 month later
#4751 8 years ago

really looking forward to shooting this deck! I like the looks and the layout appears fun.

3 weeks later
#5021 8 years ago

I can say that after just 4 days of Full Throttle in house (well my house for initial setup/play testing and now out at Pooleys in Madison) that I am VERY pumped to see aliens unfold!

I am hyper critical of games and the build quality all around, overall great engineering, and LEAPS forward in pinball that Heighway have shown are really phenomenal! The only thing I see left for them to do it ramp up production when Aliens is ready and hopefully have another deck ready just after that.

If I can start seeing 2 new titles each year then I know where the majority of my pinball dollars are likely going in the future. Toss on that that the price point/bang for the buck is loads better than any other 6k game out there(and the possibility of a kit for 60%?; that is a bargin if you are space challenged and like to have more games).

I highly suggest that anyone thinking of where you are spending your money to go put some time on FullT now and see what you really think.

If anyone is ever in the Madison area (or coming to MGC since Madison Pinball is taking the game there to share) wants to see under the hood at how well designed and beautiful the game is then let me know. Assuming I am available I would be happy to meet you and give you a tour. The quality is so good it desrves to be shown off!

#5026 8 years ago

do we know if an Alien prototype will be at TPF?

If not ready for TPF then Andrew should bring it to MGC a month later. Since we will already have our FullT there it only makes sense

#5029 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

We are hoping!!! Ill let you know on Friday. If so he will probably reveal it at the discussion on Fri night at 7
--Jeff

fingers crossed! I can say it will be a highlight of the whole trip for me if it is there!

#5111 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

At the end of the day, $1,500 is a small amount to put down/invest in Alien & Heighway Pinball, & it's fun to feel like your vested in the project.

on top of that they are already proving they can do the most difficult part of making a game, the actual production and delivery!

3 weeks later
#5294 7 years ago

Thought this may also be a good place to ask...

wondering if anyone has swapped coin doors and put a DBV on their Full Throttle?

#5296 7 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

So Heighway games do not come with a coin door that has a DBV slot??

nope. At least currently they come with the same crappy door that Spooky uses. 2 coin slot and no space to even install a DBV.

given the price I am not sure why both Heighway and Spooky are not using the 2 slot w DBV slot that Happ makes. about $100 and I bet they can get a bulk buy discount to bring the price way down.

#5298 7 years ago

I do believe the change is coming for heighway to a 2 coin door WITH a DBV. We are game #41 so I am still OK with cutting them a little slack. They did reengineer the trough to be positioned differently so a DBV will fit (at least that is how I understand it). Lats I was told, Alien will come with a door that accepts a DBV.

I think coins are the more common thing in UK so I can understand them not having them at the start. Heighway has been AMAZING about making adjustments so I am sure this is something that will happen also.

#5299 7 years ago

to the questions at hand, has anyone tapped into their FullT to put in a new coi door with DBV?

this is the door I am planning to order and woudl liek to know if it will work and ALSO, if a DBV upstacker will fit or if I need to use a dumper? I am wondering where you gabbed power from? Where you tapped into switches or if there is already wire harness slot for DBV? and also how things fit and if door will close once DBV is installed?

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_doors/40-0696-30

1 month later
#5907 7 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

How great would it have been to have Nordman see this machine to completion. It's a shame, but we can be grateful for the early input he provided...it lends confidence to the final product. I'm getting more and more excited to see/play this thing as time goes on.

he left to go work on Elvira 3 and a few other projects he is trying to get Stern to make. While Dennis provided a PC reason for his leaving based on the logical reality of the game not being ready for a ways out, he also had his own personal reaosns which he left

#5913 7 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

If this is true I'll shit my pants again...you've made my day!
You're likely right about the personal reasons too, that makes more sense.

I was originally told it was slated for late 2016 but with delays at Stern I could see it being a bit further out.

1 week later
#6325 7 years ago

this is the game I am most excited about currently (by a long shot!)

#6371 7 years ago

hey Dave, not to be off topic, but when is the next software update coming for FullT?

Dont forget to support us while also working on Aliens.

1 week later
#6451 7 years ago

I have seen the video ( a while ago actually) and it is fricking awesome looking.

I will say that an IN PLAYFIELD screen is revolutionary. Backbox is really cool for spectators (and that is a big part of pinball), but the in playfield screen is really great for feedback and possibilities are cool. It does take a while to get used to the in playfield screen oddly enough.

We have Full Throttle on route (it is doing very well despite currently only taking quarters; but DBV door is soon on its way) and all the players take 10 or so games it seems before they stop looking up at the backbox screen and train them selves to look at the in playfield screen They then all universally say how cool it is for playing and the feedback. I think FullT is just scraping the surface in current code of how the in pf screen can and will be used in the future.

#6480 7 years ago

we bought direct and had it shipped direct. I see no reason not to do that.

1 month later
#6823 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

This is actually the first use for the large backglass screen that has interested me. It would have to be homebrew, without a doubt, but it would be a really cool mod to do to the game. But, I'm happy sticking with the smaller screen for now. I can always add that in later.

I would rather the micro camera be at the top of the backbox and show the whole playfield (inverted so right side up). This would be great for others hanging out and watching each other play.

#6835 7 years ago

Le or not, the big screen is 100% the only way to go

1 week later
#6937 7 years ago

Worth note that the thing I am most excited about with heighway.

We have games from EVERY manufacturer currently making games for play (on route in Madison) and Full Throttle is by far the best built, least headache, best engineered, and all around most sturdy of ALL the games we have put out in the past 3 years.

#6967 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryno:

Cheers. Assumed you can remove the head if needed though? So 73cm's is about 29". Think I have 30" frame so might be ok. Thanks.

entire head comes off VERY easily. It will fit through a standard 30inch door no problem.

#6990 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Quick question. When I played Full Throttle at TPF, I was dismayed to find the playfield screen to be a bit blurry, like the plastic wasn't crystal clear. Is this just how Heighway's games are, or did the this machine has some kind of protective coating or Mylar over it?

that game still had the protective coating on it. Guessing the distributor left it on to protect the screen during TPF?

Screens are in fact super clear and sharp!

1 week later
#7028 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's your prerogative but it's more than just me you'd be explaining to. I'm not the only one with concerns here. And I think these unanswered questions will linger for you and create doubt. What a pity.

why the witch hunt all of a sudden Kim?

Are there really concerns here? Heighway has delivered a bunch of Full Throttles to large aclaim and praise. Their customer service has been nothing short of amazing. They seem to be very deep into development of Aliens with expected reveal in the near future and I would assume a flippable game/prototype at Expo in under 2 months.

Companies come and go but by all accounts the current Heighway is doing alot of things right.

#7133 7 years ago

all I want to know is can I take my kit home from Expo to drop in my FullT on route?

1 month later
#7601 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

will only come to light after the US team is actually standing in front of the game and flipping for the first time.

I would love to help tweak and provide rulseset comments if you need someone with a good idea, tons of ruleset experience, and some novel ideas. I have helped to polish other games and enjoy the process.

#7605 7 years ago

Rubberducks, i missed it and would like the context...

Who are you and how do you have all this info?

#7674 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I really think the game needs to be at expo working well or it will be a big missed opportunity for heighway pinball. These guys should be working around the clock to get this done. Make it happen Andrew! I'm pulling for you guys see you at expo.

agree 100%!!! I need to see and PLAY aliens!

#7743 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

the middle of the Adam West meet and greet..

where 30? 'special' people will be. Make sure someone brings the calipers to help them measure

#7790 7 years ago

WOW! All together this looks amazing!

I count 19 main shots (more if looking at extra flipper shots), drop targets, 2 spinners, magnet, 2 interactive toys, 2 METAL ramps, 4 flippers, and it appears to have a really nice layout of shot.

SUPER excited to play this at expo!

#7793 7 years ago

Aurich, the art looks really nice as a package!

great job! looking forward to seeing it in person where I am sure it will 'pop' even more.

#7796 7 years ago

I have said it before but will say it again.

The quality if engineering, design, and assembly on Full Throttle is a log scale better than ALL other companies.

I route and help maintain over 25 pins ranging from spooky, JJP, Stern, and FullT. The build quality on FullT is the absolute top of the pile and that was their first game.

Now they have a great theme, a real artist, a better layout (FullT already rocks to play), the good induction switch technology which means the ball just screams!, good coding team. I mean... I dont want to be too excited, but hot damn this is gonna be fun to play!!!!

Then you toss on the price point and WOW! Looking forward to talking with Andrew and playing this thing in less than a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7813 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now I just hope that the code support for Alien is strong as that is part of the reason why I didn't buy a Full Throttle (same with a GB premium). Without solid and deep code any pinball machine regardless of how cool the playfield looks or how many toys it has is just a box of lights.

Have you played Full T?

The current code is great and just needs minor polish/tweaks to make it finished. I am yet to complete the game and probably have 300 plays on it myself.

It was solid from the start, got some updates, and heighway has made clear that they are committed to finishing the polish after they get some breathing room post Aliens.

#7845 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It looks like a Sega machine from the 1990's.

I like Segas but have to disagree. This has its very own unique feel/look to it.

Really looking forward to checking it out in person. Looking forward to sipping some burbon and playing it with you Kim!

#7849 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It takes away from the playfield art, and we all probably look at display screens all day long too much as it is. I think it's going to either be a distraction from trying to make shots, or ignored to make shots.

I have found with Full throttle it is the perfect place for a feedback screen. Makes it easy to figure out where you are and where you are going. Also the screen art is good at times and integrates well with the physical pf art (guessing that will be even better on Alien give the theme and dark nature of the theme).

#7854 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Here is a stupid question.
With that side art being lit, from inside, is this art work panel held in securely? Could some one kick out, or pry out that panel to access the coin box area?
Using the side of the cabinet for lit artwork is really cool, BTW.

There is a whole 2nd layer of cabinet behind the lit art. no way to kick it out.

#7881 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Thanks for all the positive messages.

The Xeno model has changed a little - due to requests from FOX. But the same level of detail remains, and will be present on all games.
Hilton - we are having a brand new coin door design manufactured especially for us. The current 2-slot door can clash with our ball trough. The new design brings the 2 x coin mechs aligned to the left of the door. The note validator plate swaps to align on the bottom right of the door.
One of the reasons the engineer model was dropped is that we realised we couldn't give a good enough representation due to the height restraints at the front of the playfield. The turret, and its angle, simply wouldn't fit.

thanks for that Andrew! Looking forward to seeing you at expo. Please set aside 10 minutes for us to chat about a possible US launch party. I will be there from Thursday 10am. I would love to get some time on the game and help you set it up. Please let me know if you need a hand. Happy to help.

#7922 7 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

No plunger is a major disappointment as that's one of the things that makes a pinball machine a pinball machine. The Heighway website still shows plungers on the standard and LE cabinets. I love the Alien movies and am excited by the potential but I want to see more of a finished product and get some impressions on how it plays before I put down any money.

I would not be so sure about that. Heighway has designed the cabinents to be very interchangable. Could be just photos? Would be easy to drop in a regular plunger mech with 3 bolts.

#7925 7 years ago

thnks for confirmation.

Do you know if this is a 4 flipper button game or just 2 with staged flippers?

Hoping for the option in settings and ability to use 4 as I love that (i.e. SST with 2 independant buttons on right side)

#8112 7 years ago

Plays fantastic, even as proto stage!

#8268 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#8269 7 years ago

#8270 7 years ago

#8271 7 years ago

#8276 7 years ago

Got about five games on it this evening. these are prototypes but look close to me. They look AMAZING in person! THey play very good, esp for being prototype/pre-production/whatever you want to call them.

The audio is phemonenal and will likely get way better. LOTS of shoots any they feel good. I played a few games w Steve Bowden and he agree that it is solid and fun to shoot as first impression and going to be great once at production.

Most importantly for me (and iceman). They have the X factor. IMERSION! Toss on your headphones, turn it up, rock a beverage, and step into the world under the glass.

Super pumped to see the final product. ICeman, just send the deposit! It is just a deposit and you are gonna want to get in the cue now IMHO.

#8282 7 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Yeah, I gotta admit, I was excited to buy Alien thinking release was soon, but the fact they brought prototype games to Expo, that didn't work correctly, I think they have a long way to go and I'm not into financing unless they wanna pay me interest on my money or a GUARENTEED delivery date.

I played both games tonight and they worked fine. A few small ball hangups, but those are expected. Both seemed to be functioning as expected from mynpoint of view. A few feaure not available to play, but things look close.

Most important to me is that is shoots very good!

#8319 7 years ago

Posted in the other thread, but figured some may like them here. ( the problem w two threads)

#8320 7 years ago

#8321 7 years ago

#8362 7 years ago

Being played tons at expo today and responses were VERY positive from all i spoke to

#8575 7 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

from the horses mouth:
In OOM (out of mode) hitting the targets elicit a variety of Xeno sounds. We do not use the rifle sounds to blow Xenos apart in either Alien nor Aliens mode when hitting the Xeno. That is reserved for the combat modes like Bug Hunt, Sentry Gun Multiball and others.
Keep in minds that once the Xeno mech is fully implemented there will be a number of 'pupetering' options available as a response to hitting the targets in front of it beyond the 'mouth coming out and grabbing the ball' event. Lights and sounds will add to making these hits memorable.
The sounds for the Xeno are being designed thoughtfully for greatest impact when the time is right. We have plenty of resources from both films to accomplish this.
Just like programming, I cannot finish my job till I have a machine to test all the audio assets and their behaviors. This will happen before Alien gets into full production. Tuning up Xeno audio will be one of the many tasks that I will do then.
horse out.
ddt

Thanks so much DT!

Your work on this game is a big part of the reason I am so pumped for it!

#8710 7 years ago

HAPPY BDAY ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8727 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks.
So Alien LE with the LCD in the head is $8700.00 not including shipping.
These prices are....unfortunate.

Just contact heighway and get a quote. Then you can figure out exact price for the options you want.

#8767 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Forgive me for not reading all 176 pages...I'm just curious if anything official has been said about whether I'll have to get a new CPU in my Full Throttle in order to get Alien to work. Do we have details on that process?

Paraphrasing but Andrew said all FullT customers would be taken care of for a new CPU. IF? They are needed.
THey are still figuring things out but not to worry. They value FullT customers and will make sure we are able to upgrade and swap in any future kits.

#8768 7 years ago

P.s. Hang tight. They are slammed with Aliens, which is a good thing. they will get to us in due time. Need to remember this is still a new company, they are getting things worked out, and they deserve a little patience as thye have already delivered one great game.

Aliens is the big title they need. We should give them a little slack while they get it going and things hopefully take flight for the long haul.

#8773 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Did I miss something? Why would FT need a new cpu to run the Alien kit?

not sure of the real reason, but my understanding is the new CPU will be a future proof state and something easily available in the longer future off the shelf.

#8774 7 years ago

thanks nephasth

#8781 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So the very first time that Full Throttle owners have an option to add a kit (Alien) to their lineup, it won't work without updating the CPU?
Not sure what the cost is of upgrading, but I wouldn't be too happy if I were a FT owner. That upgrade should be offered for free IMO.

Settle down ROb.

Are you a FullT owner?

I am and most importantly I am willing to sit tight and wait it out to see what Heighway offers up before going crazy. I assume I will have to pay something, but it will be a drastically reduced rate. I am also under the impression that it will be a huge upgrade and bring lots of added value.

As an owner, I expected some kinks along the way from being a first game adopter. I am very happy to see they are working these things out now with #2. I am also happy that Andrew has said he wil make it all work out.

While sometimes a little delayed (while they ramp up for Alien/s) Andrew has ALWAYS come through on his word.

#8784 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Does anyone have a sense for how
technically difficult it will be to swap out the CPU?

About 5min and almost no technical know-how needed.

#8791 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

GTFO with this crap. I'm tired of people like you who think that you can only have an opinion if you have bought the product in question. It's complete BS, and you should be ashamed for throwing crap like this around.
I bet if I made a post saying something to the effect of "this is no big deal, it's part of growing pains of a new company and I'm sure that Heighway won't charge too much for the upgrade" you would not have replied to my post asking me if I were a FullT owner, would you?
Hypocrite.

You are entitled to your opinion and I did not mean to insinuate differently.

I will say that this is one of those times where your opinion holds very little value if you are not a FullT owner and hence not impacted at all.

Quoted from RobT:

"this is no big deal, it's part of growing pains of a new company and I'm sure that Heighway won't charge too much for the upgrade"

you are correct about this. It does not appear to be a big deal and relatively low on the priority list. It also seems most FullT owners feel similar to your sentiment which adds some value to this opinion.

I personally just see little reason to get so worked up about something that is a non-issue for the majority, Heighway has proven they take care of customers, and heighway has said they will figure out in the future.

#8797 7 years ago

yup, completely get it. However, how about chilling out and actually seeing how they deal with it.

I am confident they will make it right and take care of all us actual owners.

Why is it so tough to just relax for a bit and then see what they do? THEN form your opinion and decide if you want to slam or praise them.

#8799 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You were the one that took it upon yourself to escalate this discussion with your initial response to me by telling me to "settle down Rob" when my post was pretty even handed and pretty non-controversial. Only a fanboy would have taken offense to it.
And I don't have to wait for anything before having an opinion. To repeat myself, it is my opinion that Heighway should offer the CPU upgrade free of charge to all Full Throttle owners. Maybe even you!

sorry, I read your intitial post as negative. Likely the syntax and writing style plus knowing you have not been real positive on many of the newly revealed games recently. My appologies. text does not always come through with intent or meaning.

I am not a fanboy of Heighway, but rather appreciative of what they have currently done, their customer service, and excited for what Alien/s appears to offer.

I am of a similar opinion but will wait to make any jundgement until I hear of the details. Pretty odd that so many people are jumping to conclusions and ideas. Just listening to yet another podcast where people are assuming that it will cost them hundreds of dollars to update the CPU. I think the lesson here for Heighway is no need to even announce this untill they have the details worked out and can lay it all out to the actual owners. There was no positive for them to even post anything about it.

#8808 7 years ago

I personally will take the spare out and store it under another game, just like I did with SWEP1 when I had one for a short bit along with RFM.

Main difference is RFM was fun but SWEP1 was a turd of a game so it was not even worthwhile to own as a kit/space.

It was also a PITA to swap.

The heighway platform is super easy to swap and I cuols see feasibly doing it every so often.

Would be pretty cool to eventually be able to have 5 cabs and 10 games in the 5 games worth of space.

For operating it would be really nice to evantually be able to just load over and swap in a pf, while the older game pf goes home for shop out.

#8816 7 years ago

thanks for the reply Andrew!

Super looking forward to more time playing Alien soon!

#8826 7 years ago

I am sure if you buy an Alien kit it will come with a new CPU...

Speaking from experience in having fullT on route and likely getting more plays than any other FullT that sits in a home, in the rare times where we had a question or need of service, Heighway has been top notch.

I expect it to be the same in regards to buying a kit to drop into the FullT cab.

I fully assume there may be a cost associated with a cpu upgrade so I can run and Aliens kit, but guessing that cost will just be wrapped into the price of the Aliens kit. I also assume there will be no upcharge for that portion of the kit. Again this is based on experience that Heighway has gone above and beyond with customer service.

#8860 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

If you take the playfield and the computer out of a Heighway pin... what exactly are you leaving behind?
A wooden cabinet, speakers, some mounting hardware, and maybe a sub-$100 LCD display?

I would be happy to show you the next time you are over in madison.

#8866 7 years ago

I was told at expo that there will be no need to update the CPU on FullT for future code updates.

The talk about swapping in a new CPU is in relation to swapping in Aliens only, which has some greater needs for the real time rendering/upgraded processing.

I was also told that they have a list of tweaks/changes for the next FullT code drop but it is all hands on deck for Aliens currently.

#8955 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You talk a lot.
I have Alien coming with a Full Throttle playfield in the same order. That's called putting my money where my mouth is. Buy/don't buy, who cares what you do. Who cares what I do?
At the first opportunity to buy one Heighway cabinet and two playfields I am doing so. Don't know what else I can say to the point.

dont waste your time, timebandit.

User is Kaneda once again (if not him then an obvious dup account with some issues and an axe to grind). The guy has some serious issues. Best practice is to just ignore him and click the report to mod team button. He is not even remotely part of the hobby. His hobby appears being an internet troll as he spends hours of his days trolling arcade, pinball, and even collectible figurine websites. He has little knowledge of anything pinball, has only owned 2 games ever (which he pays top dollar for since he has no idea how to actually work on them), and most notable aspect of the pinball hobby is him getting booted from Pinside multiple times to the point of starting a podcast so now you can listen to all the glorious improper pronunciation, misunderstood pinball vocabulary, and ignorance first hand if you like.
The sad part of it all is that Chris is actually a decent guy in real life and he just wants a couple friends, but has still not learned how to make friends. Toss on the fact that any interaction can be assumed to become part of his further online hate fueled rage or obsession with podcasting about people rather than pinball, and I have learned to just ignore him rather than even give him a chance to become a friend again. I tried to give him a chance at an event last year, which it then became obvious was just storyboard for his podcast. I have since stopped listening and throw his dup accounts on ignore. Trolls just crave attention. Unfortunately with Chris he seems to have some deep seated issues. Normal trolls tend to disappear after so much effort is needed to maintain multiple fake accounts. Chris seems to just feed off the negative interaction and like to go scorched earth on anyone that even attempts to be a friend. Life is too short to deal with this amount of negative energy. Best to just ignore.

On topic, I was originally planning to buy an Aliens kit to swap into the FullT cab like you timebandit. Now I am thinking full Aliens game. FullT is still a top earner on route so no reason to swap it out at this stage.

For any operators out there. If you want to talk percentages, feel free to reach out. You all know what games we have out and we have put FullT at 2 of our 3 locations and it has done well at both. IMHE, FullT has been a good purchase for route and you should try it out if you are on the fence.

#8991 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you have actual facts to counter this, provide them. Otherwise you're just making yourself look like a delusional sycophant.

I am not willing to share actual numbers but happy to tell you that FullT has been on route for the past 12 months among 20-25 other games we put out.

It has consistently been a top 5 earning games for over 12 months.

Route players on location definately enjoy it enough to put money in it. The competition of games is pretty stiff also. Every new Stern for the past 3 years, Spooky games, JJP games.

I am not disputing that it has not sold as much as GB, but i will wholey debate that people dont like it. The coin box does not lie. People on route regularly choose FullT over other games and that has been steady for over 12 months (most games seen an exponential decline in play after 3-5 months).

2 weeks later
#9298 7 years ago

awesome!!!!!!

2 weeks later
#9454 7 years ago
Quoted from j69:

I don't know many children that can afford an $8000 pinball machine

I cant figure out WHY some people keep trying to inflate the perceived cost of the game?????

http://www.heighwaypinball.com/product-category/alien-pinball-machine/alien-standard-edition/

$6450... it says it right on the website.

This is a steal compared to other options on the market.

#9456 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Obviously it's the LE price they're referencing...

oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the majority of Pinsiders are LE buyers, doh.

#9473 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Any idea what the cost is adding the lcd to the backbox, Fiber Optic for ramps, and beacon toppers?

not sure? I think like $500 for the monitor??

I would email to andrew and the sales person (I think Jay?) I got a quick response when I contacted with a few questions.

#9504 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

With the new replacement toy...how fast can it go from design, test, approval, etc to production, delivery and re-test? Or is it pretty much done already?

thinking about upgrading that SS Ted? About time you stepped into this century

Figured this may be on your short list.

#9571 7 years ago

You are wrong

Std has just a smaller screen, but i would think most will upgrade to the big one.

#9577 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

3, neither edition comes with backbox LCD small or large

I thought the standartd came with the regular (smaller) LCD like on FullT?

Granted, not sure why anyone would not upgrade to the larger one

screenimage-500x693.jpgscreenimage-500x693.jpg

#9579 7 years ago

my bad. I was wrong.

either way, get the big screen! It kicks ass!

#9597 7 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Are those optic fibre lightning ramps (Alien LE) the same as the tron LE ramps?

as far as I have been told, yes.
alleged... and paraphrased, but you will get the idea

The man that invented/developed fibre optic ramp lighting which was used by Stern in TronLE was then told by Stern"thanks but we have this from here" (i.e. cool, now we are going to reverse engineer it, make it cheap and crappier for the next time we use it, and cut you out if the picture).

That same guy was brought on by Heighway and was the man behind their fibre optic ramps.

* worth mention and somewhat funny is that the next time Stern attempted to use fibre optics was on the proton streams for GB... look how that worked out, lol. Guys could not figure it out properly and they were unable to call the guy that could have worked it out for them.

Q:"Who you gonna call?"
A: not the guy that you screwed over and stole and idea/technology from.

again, all alleged and just a fun story

#9607 7 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I have a suggestion for the Alien pinball
I think the game looks great!! But there is one thing that I don't like, it's the plastic part under the flipper that sticks in the playfield. The color is so wrong. It looks good on Full Throttle but on Alien it has to be black.
So Heighway Pinball, please order thes parts in black for the Alien pinball
Thank you.

good suggestion!

#9641 7 years ago

looking great!

#9696 7 years ago

looking good and happy to see the progress!!!

Enjoy your Holiday Andrew and looking forward to all things coming together in the new year.

#9721 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

To be honest, myself and everyone I played Alien with at Expo never got our info from the playfield LCD. As good of an initial idea as it was, the new giant screen is just easier to read. I know not looking up is helpful, but the font is small enough that I can't just make a quick glance to soak it all in anyway. I wish they would ditch the 3rd LCD and rather than mirror the backbox and playfield, they would make the playfield LCD more of a HUD with mode/shot related info. The reason they "need" the 3rd LCD is because they're not really optimizing how to use the two they already have.
I love Heighway and want both Alien and Full Throttle, but you can see this LCD thing is a victim of evolving their original concept rather than stepping back and rethinking.
I'm sure I have some of the details here wrong, but essentially:
Originally they ONLY had the playfield LCD, so it had to have all the info.
People clamored for a backbox LCD, so Heighway accommodated with the small version and the screens were mirrored.
Heighway surprised everyone with a full size backbox LCD. This is where they should have rethought the use of the two, but I think there were hardware issues with 2 video streams.
They teased a possible third screen, but this was to be for short clips, etc. and they still had an issue with the technical ability to add another video stream.
Now they apparently have figured out how to add another video stream for the third screen to show mode info. Isn't this exactly the info you want without having to look up. Sounds like a great role for the playfield LCD rather than putting general game info in front of the player and making them look to the back of the machine for the immediate mode related stuff.
I refuse to believe that if Heighway re-conceptualized everything knowing what they know now that they would purposely incorporate 3 LCD screens. Seems like it would be cheaper and a better end experience to re-think how they're using the screens they already have versus adding a new one to supplement what the playfield one could have been doing all along.

sorry but you need more time on the machine. I have watched MANY people learn on Full Throttle. Without question, EVERY single person ignores the in pf screen for the first 10 games. They then slowly realize that it is super important and where you get ALL your info. your brain learns to look there and stop looking up.

The back box screen is for the other players that are playing along and watching you do stuff, not for info.

I am a huge fan of the in pf screen and I suggest getting more time on the game with a whole afternoon or evening session. I am 100% positive you will change your opinion. The in pf screen and implementation from Heighway is done extremely well. your brain will adjust over time.

#9820 7 years ago

I think the extra screen is going to be really cool once refined and sized w bezel correctly.

#9823 7 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

He's not returning my email and i'm a customer, not sure for how much longer.

Pretty sure you live in australia? Andrew has posted NUMEROUS times that they are working out logistics to aus shipping and distributor so just sit tight.

#9867 7 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Man I am so tired of everyone new being suspected of being Kaneda. Get over it already.
Best be on finding out about shipping time frame would be to contact heighway directly, anything else is speculation.

just pointing out that it appears to have been him as that account is now gone along with the posts.

nothing wrong with calling out the obvious...

1 week later
#9986 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

how could anything other than "we're shipping today" be considered reliable?

"we are shipping the first batch and here are updated photos" would also be cool

always love seeing the photos as things come together.

#10023 7 years ago

23 Standards are on the line. Parts are arriving every day.
We are flat out finishing the first 3 games for EAG next week. This is the major European coin-op trade show in Europe.
We aim to have 3 x Aliens there and 3 x Full Throttles.
With heavy snowfall forecast over the next 24 hours, we are hoping the roads will be clear as more parts are due to be collected tomorrow.
Finishing off the other 20 SEs won't take long. Most parts are in stock. LEs still on course for next month.

great news!

If you have time to share photos I am sure people would love to oggle them

I love seeing new games get built!

#10097 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope.
And neither have some long ago requested refunds, apparently.

? sounds like they took care of it?

I have spoken to Richard directly and apologised for the delay. The situation has been dealt with.

#10100 7 years ago
Quoted from j69:

A refund should take a matter of hours. Over a month is taking the piss

fully agree, but glad to hear they have it resolved.

#10156 7 years ago

would love to see some video, esp the new left ramp and return.

#10223 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Coin door - to be discussed

last I was told from Andrew (I think he called on me at Expo but I missed the talk) it will have a slot for DBV.

#10232 7 years ago

new left ramp looks like a nice shot now.

looking forward to more/better video with hopefully better players.

#10241 7 years ago

super excited to see this coming along nicely! Looking forward to playing one again.

#10287 7 years ago

you know when people are just pissing and moaning about the toppers then things are going better...

#10319 7 years ago

I have to say things keep getting better and better on this title!

#10369 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

It seems strange to me how much enthusiasm there is over this title - Highways first game was a big cheap feeling dud, this one is way delayed, has not been completely revealed, it obviously has not been tested since it didn't work half the time at the last show, and it's gonna ship (hopefully)with shallow, early code. I really want you early owners to love your games, but it would be a while before the game could get good with code. I hope I'm wrong & you all love your shiny new toys!

Have you even seen the code thus far? Seems pretty good already and progressing quickly from what it was at expo compared to eag.

full T is the exact opposite of what you describe. IT is actually very solid and the best construction of any new pin I have seen in the past 10 years.

#10378 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

The only issue I have with the game is the right ramp...it seems like it curves a bit early and makes it really hard to hit...not impossible, but hard. I've got maybe 15-20 games total on FT at shows, so maybe if I owned it I would get better at hitting the ramp.

once you learn it, then it is pretty easy to hit. Aside from that, I have found that a small adjustment to the ramp flap helps immensly.

#10487 7 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

but why did they pull the pins from the show?

to fix the issues and put them out the following day where reports are they held up and played beautifully.

#10509 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Maybe Andrew can respond to this prior post regarding the board issues?

does it need response Rob? It was clearly documented that the games were on the floor the following day and ran for the duration. MANY people reported this, stated that there we some positive changes since expo and the only odd thing was the scaling on the monitor (which was documented to be a code thing that is also since fixed).

You seem to be looking for smoke and brought your fan Rob.

#10511 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Typical fanboy response from you, and very reminiscent of the Predator fiasco and your actions in that thread. You didn't like people asking the tough questions then, and you don't like people asking questions now. All because you have money down on the game.
Your credibility was completely shot back then. But it's in your nature, so I'm not surprised that you learned nothing from that experience, despite your supposed apologies for how you acted.

really rob? Typical BS response of hatred and attacks from you. I am capable of change. I encourage the tough questions and thus far am happy with the responses I have seen from Andrew (would like a bit more follow up on the refunds and showing those whom request are getting them and things are all taken care of).

You are not paying attention to people clearly stating that the "board" issue was obviously rectified as the games were up and running on D2 of the international show and apparently ran all day.

Do you have any real questions that dont fly in the facts? Your shit gets pretty old Rob and I only chimed in because I get tired of you saying the same stupid shit when people have previously debunked you on the same questions.

#10512 7 years ago

On topic of customer service form Heighway. We recently had an odd issue on our Full Throttle. Game would not fully boot one day.

We emailed Heighway on D1 of the issue coming up. That same day we got an email response with a few things to try out, a contact phone number for sandor (sp?), and an offer to skype to help trouble shoot. They correctly diagnosed that we needed to reload a file on our microSD card (it had gotten messed up from something else we did). Tech support emailed us the file as they were leaving for the day and gave us their home phone number and reminded us of the offer to skype along with providing some more direction. The direction worked perfectly and the game was back up and running in less than 24 hours of us contacting them.

All things said, this was way better than I expected based on previous interactions with UK companies (they seem to not have the same work ethic I am used to in USA) and even previous communication with Heighway team (they have been slow to respond in the past but I have always attributed it to the time difference and culture). A+ service and communication on a product more than a year old.

#10518 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Please quote a post of mine where I asked about the board issues in this thread before you criticized me for asking about it. Hint: I didn't.

sorry, I forget I have to specifically spell out every last specific detail for you .....

Same question was asked by underlord as to why the games were pulled form the show on D1. I commented back then that whatever the issue was, the games were back out on D2 and for the duration. If this is really your tough line of questioning then you need to buff up on your skills.

Here is pinball news confirming the same thing. The games were not playable on D1, but were playable on D2 and D3. Someone apparently invented some big conspiracy that the boards were messed up. I was just debunking you regurgitating this incorrect information yet again. If the boards were all screwed up, then I suppose Heighway deserves more accolades for completely re-engineering the boards over night ad getting teh games working on D2 and D3 of EAG, lol.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/eag2017/index.html

#10519 7 years ago

I have the tough question...

Where the heck are the games and when is the first batch shipping. That is what I really want to know.

I am tired of the continual over promise and under deliver on timelines. I want to see photos of the first production games being packed up. I also would like some photos of what is happening at the factory.

That said, I would rather just see games ship. I am anxious to play one as I reall liked what I saw at expo and it seems the one thing I really did not like (the left ramp) has been improved.

#10526 7 years ago

I did miss it - I apologise.
The board issue simply came down to Chinese New Year. Some Chinese companies require more than 3 months notice in the run up to holiday for orders. We missed the boat to have assembled PCBs (called PCBAs) in time for the EAG show, so bare PCBs arrived instead. We had to manually solder the first boards - and that led to unexpected problems on the eve of the show - which only got fixed on day 2.
Since then, new boards have been soldered professionally, and locally. Quantities of PCBA boards will arrive from China within 2 weeks once the factory we use reopens on Monday.

huge accolades for your team being able to not only solder up the proto boards in such short order but to also fixed them overnight at EAG between D1 and D2!

#10531 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

We had beacon-fest and now board-gate, but it would be nice to see the main toy actually grab a ball, which is something we haven't seen during a gameplay video.

oh crap... Queengate has begun...

#10532 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

See Hilton, like I said, "easy peasy."

yup, super easy to also use logical and deductive reasoning to know the games worked well on D2 and D3 for EAg so they must have resolved something. Funny part is that I hear the chineese new year really borked up a bunch of pinball stuff. I have heard a few aftermarket mod boards that popular companies put out were all messed up do to the 3 week shut down.

#10535 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

So you're an official spokesperson for Heighway? No? Then you need to take a step back and allow other people to ask questions and receive answers from Heighway.
I don't know you, but I know you from these forums and I know not to take anything you say seriously because you really just don't have the answers you think you have. You've certainly steered many people wrong in the past with your assumptions being presented as stone cold facts.

you could at least acknowledge I was correct in this case

I was merely pointing out the obvious for the boardgate people. Games worked at EAG, boards were obviously working for the games to work. I dont know you IRL either but we all know that you stalk a few people and constantly berate them whenever you get a chance. We also know some people are not merely asking questions. They ignore facts and try to cause more issues.

I am happy to see Andrew is answering these questions even when they are stupid and fly in the face of common sense.

Ask the tough questions.

Where it the Queen! How come we are not seeing photos of it from back alley? Where are game play videos of it?

lol

The only tough question is what are the hold ups and when are the games shipping?

#10537 7 years ago

I am the one on the left

#10538 7 years ago

can we talk about the beacons some more?

#10546 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I have to get back to the LG forum, I'm helping them fine tune a front load washer.

now that was funny! I dont care whom you are... that was funny!

#10565 7 years ago

well said Flyynn

#10583 7 years ago
Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

Stern do not take people's money before their game is ready. You can't really compare the two.

Pretty sure they often take a 1k deposit to hold a spot and more recently some distributor are taking full payments and then 'delays' have stretched out deliver for months.

#10585 7 years ago
Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

That's not Stern though, surely? That's distributors. It's not a fair comparison. That's all I'm saying.

can you buy direct from Stern now? My understanding is that the only way to buy from Stern is a via a distributor and EVERY stern distributor I last checked with was requiring a deposit to hold a spot and then payment prior to game actually being ready.

#10613 7 years ago

that xenomorph grabbing the ball is great! I hope it eventually is sped up for certain modes. Would be great to "WHAM!" and grab it or also sometimesto use the tongue/mine jaws thing to slam it off the magnet back down the pf.

#10618 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Hilton.. take a step.. BACK??
NOT ram himself (and his opinions) repeatedly into every crevice he can find in the hobby?!?
You MUST be joking!!

you sound a bit turned on there buddy...

#10641 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ack, that would be terrible. The "tongue" only moves straight forward and backward, and is directly above the center drain... so doing what you describe would most likely just slam the ball SDTM. That's not fun.

you would be the one to know. Just a thought that it is a sweet toy and the more the code can utilize it to do fun things, the better.

I thought it was just slightly off center? That way the magnet could drop sometimes without the xeno picking it up?

#10668 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

This is their 2nd title, there's an actual factory making Alien's.....you are now conflating refunds/other pinball company scams failures and so on. Read the thread. You are way off.

I agree 100%. I can completely understand the hesitation and concern of anyone thinking of putting down a deposit given the delays and missed deadlines. I would say if you have concern then simply wait it out. There is no danger of missing out if you wait.

However, you would think most can see how very different this is from Jpop/SkitB. For cripes sake, the company has successfully produced 1 great game already, pushed forward the pinball industry with some innovative things, and has shown a huge factory being built up. To put them in the same category as the aforementioned just makes people look silly/spiteful and incapable of anything remotely positive in their life.

I agree that they need to deliver good playing games that are complete and rock in the near future. That is the only real answer that will satisfy many people. That is also the one thing that will bring in many more sales.

As things stand; the theme is great, Heighway has shown they can deliver and deliver a high quality production grade commercial quality machine, they have a great designer and fun flipping machine, and the code even at expo was super fun (the full ruleset looks amazing honestly. Toss on the full immersion of the lights and sound package and the only thing left to do is actually deliver.

I am still looking forward to the next time I get to flip one and hope there is one within driving distance for me to play.

For me personally it really comes down to the fact that we have a Full Throttle on route that has held up very well, people like it, i like it, and it is still leaps and bound above the quality of any ohter game I have bought in the past 4 years. That earns some degree of respect and goodwill for what Heighway has done.

People can be spiteful or hate on them if they like, but that is the reason I will give them more rope. I love pinball, plain and simple.

#10719 7 years ago

Andrew,

Has Ice requested his refund and is it being processed/completed. As you know, it is very important for people to have transparency and confidence around this.

Quoted from iceman44:

I don't even want to be involved with a project that is politically polarizing. Nor do i want to support it. And Alien looks to be an awesome pinball machine.

It's been a long F in haul, no doubt about it and I wish the crew well but I'd like to be taken out.

And I haven't had good luck with email or pm communication so tell me what needs to be done.

#10723 7 years ago

Hi Hilton,
Due to customer confidentiality, I can't comment on this - sorry.
If you want to know if Ice has requested a refund or not, then you must ask him directly.
Thanks,
Andrew

thanks and completely understand!

Iceman >> please confirm if you did in fact request a refund and it has be processed. This is important for the community to know.

#10726 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I had a good conversation with Andrew today and ended up NOT requesting a refund. He contacted me first to see if I wanted to follow through with the refund, provided me with a good update along with info i was seeking and i decided to stick it out a little longer.
He did offer it and said he would process it immediately but my fickle nature took over and stayed in! I really want these guys to succeed on what could be a great pin.

thanks for the confirmation ice

#10747 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seems that some people in this thread (mostly Whysnow) get a little upset with me for asking certain questions

I dont get upset with you asking reasonable and good questions.

I do get tired when people ask stupid questions and demand answers for everything or attempt to make things more difficult than needed for what is proven as a legit company that has already successfully delivered 2 commercial products (1 being a pinball machine of critical acclaim of build quality and fun factor even if the theme did not do well for collectors). I can understand your skepticism but think at times it crosses the line from healthy to spiteful. In all reality there is probably a happy medium from someone like me that tends to give too much rope and someone like you that tosses on gasoline and stands their with a lit match.

#10781 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Imagine what would happen if the posts on so many Stern threads came here. If stern threads are a 1 for inflammatory posts this thread is a 0.001. BM66 is crazy. This is a free ride here.

there is a reaosn for that... Stern has been putting out poor QC game after poor QC game as of late. They have major issues and on top of it some pretty big code issues. Those are real concrete things and easy to be mad about. Spending 8-12-15k on a BM66 and some of the shit is crazy.

Here the only thing concrete is missed deadlines. People for the most part seem to have down a small deposit and are frustrated for waiting.

apples and oranges.

I am sure once games start shipping then there will be more concrete feedback. I personally am hoping the level of QC and construction matches FullT or has even improved since.

#10784 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

When you have years to work on a particular title one would think the code would be ready and the quality would be outstanding, with maybe some minor issues.

that is my expectation. Honestly FullT quality is leaps and bounds better than anything else. From what I see of Aliens code thus far it appears to be a super solid foundation for the start/when games ship (i am sure there will be suggestions/polish once players get on it)

#10835 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I think being upset about those white flipper markers on the playfield is totally appropriate. This is an obvious oversight and flat out mistake that is trying to be glossed over. An undeleted layer and no one at a press check and boom you've got a bunch of misprinted playfields. Talk about QC. If games ship out like this its just shameful in my opinion. For everyone hoping to be immersed in this theme its really going to tear down that fourth wall every time you flip the flipper and flash back into reality. But to overlook the egregious error would only be par for the course in this thread. Imagine how a mistake like this could spoil the fun in some of your favorite games.

lol. I see those photos you took all the time to photoshop and think... Man, sure would be nice if I could swap in a rebuilt flipper on any of those games in 30seconds flat. Or heck, just pull out the whole mech and make and adjustment on the bench so easily. Makes me wonder why nobody has stolen this genuine innovation in design that heighway came up with. It is a bloody genious idea.

Then I remember, that some around here dont even know how to rebuild a flipper. Guessing that includes you, lol

#10951 7 years ago

FANTASTIC!

Looking forward to #2 heading out the door right behind #1!!!

#10965 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ok so who is the lucky guy getting this pin!

wish it was me!

#10980 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Not me this time. I'll be getting a kit when they become available to swap in my full throttle cabinet.

amazed it is not you!

#10984 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

would be pretty expensive and pointless Heighway just shipping out one customers game alone instead of a truck load.

air frieght is 1 at a time and the shipping company picks them up. Guessing the first ones will almost all go freight as buyers are willing to pay the extra to get the game sooner

I would have to assume down the line that they will go out by the truckload or more likely boatload.

I am glad the line is starting to move and Heighway seems to have a measure approach of getting the first few out slowly and ramping up pace and things get worked out.

#10988 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Is the main toy the alien grab now programmed into the game and active?

there are videos of it in action (and pretty damn cool if you ask me!)

I was told they had a test rig with over 15000 grabs and working all good. Made me happy to hear they are giving the mechs a good work out.

#10990 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I know this is nit-picky, and I apologize if this has been addressed, but is the alien head's mouth agape or is that just me? Why doesnt it close when not in use? I think having it open and close when the screaming noise happens would be a nice touch.
Still looking sweet. Cant wait to see these in peoples hands and....dare I say...PLAY ONE ON LOCATION!?!?!

how far are you from Madison?

#11000 7 years ago

so 2.5 hours to come play a rare game? I have done that on an afternoon post work before.

#11002 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

the first owner may not be a pinside guy , although when the pic still showed who he was , i put in a facebook friend request

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-on-its-way-to-starport-in-morgantown-wv#post-3600605

#11005 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

And we all know you a crazy person. LOL

are you free on April 1st?

#11023 7 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

Is this an open invite? I'll bring beer. I'm in MI, about five hours away (via Google Maps). I've probably driven longer for less.
Chris

open invite (assuming all goes as planned)

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=18064#

#11031 7 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

That's right I forgot the rails and lock bar lift up instead of the glass sliding out like usual. Hmmm it probably won't fit

I think it is standard glass size? (not sure if that is WB os standard size, but I think it is common dimensions either way)

#11035 7 years ago

Andrew, when does the next game ship?

#11051 7 years ago

It is Friday Party time. Let's see some photos

#11092 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

You earn weapons by winning modes or completing the five weapon standup targets around the playfield. If you have more than one weapon, you can select amongst them using the Extra Ball button. Launch button fires the currently selected weapon. Each weapon has a different ability, always earned in order: VP70 Handgun (Advance Bonus X), Ithaca 37 Shotgun (spot 2 Xeno hits), M56 Smart Gun (spot "best" lit shot), M41A Pulse Rifle (start 2X playfield), M240 Flame Thrower (start short ball saver). Advanced players can strategically use the right weapons at the right time to make much goodness happen. But they don't get in the way of casual players. (You could just jam the launch button as your ball is draining and hope that 2 Xeno hits is enough to start Ambush Multiball or something.)
In addition to their abilities, weapons that haven't been used contribute to multipliable end of ball bonus, and also boost scoring of the mini-wizard and final wizard modes.

sounds like lots of fun and I am really liking your style on rulesets.

do weapons carry over form ball to ball?
if you use a weapon on Ball 1 (i.e. advance bonus X), will the next weapon you gain be m240? or do you always restart at the first weapon after you use them?

last question on this >>> will this be a selectable option in menus? i.e. weapons carry over between balls (Y/N)? restart weapons gained order after weapon used (Y/N)? You would of course set default to be your intent.

#11097 7 years ago

As promised, we are showing you a gameplay video where Alien Pinball is played continuously to illustrate the shots and flow of the game - along with various modes and features being activated.
» YouTube video

I have watched this vid like 10 times now. So excited to get to play it again soon. I really like the left ramp now.

If someone shoots another video, please have them focus on showing what shots are back-handable.

#11111 7 years ago

So excited to have you doing this David! You really have the immersion thing down!

#11128 7 years ago

Really excited to have ypu coding JOE

#11146 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is anyone ordering direct? My understanding is that there are additional taxes i go through cointaker and have it delivered to a PA address?

I have ordered direct from Heighway and it has been fantastic service and easy to deal with. I am not sure why anyone would order via any other method TBT.

#11179 7 years ago

TNT screwed up and it won't be collected until Monday morning now.

TNT is dynomite!

Show me the money Andrew

#11190 7 years ago

The next one left today. More later in the week

a beautiful site Andrew!

Where is that one going?

#11193 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

There's something very wrong in all those pictures of Alien boxes being loaded into trucks: None of them are marked "Norway". I expect this horrible mistake to be looked into right away.

it is how it works in pinball

First games always go overseas, lol.

#11195 7 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Such as the North Sea?

lol

#11201 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Question for those who have sent a deposit for alien... Have you been asked to send your deposit money via EMT or via paypal as gift?
The distributor in Canada will only accept paypal if the customer eats the merchant fees. Seems odd to me as they are not a friend or individual, but a company. Also, surcharges for accepting PayPal seem to go against the paypal user agreement.

bank wire if paying direct.

I think credit card can also be used but asume extra fees?

#11212 7 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Well, he did the layout.

and what an awesome job he did!

Dave is the new king of flow, period! Seriously, no other produced game can even come close.
Having Dave on Aliens to tweak and fine tune was a big reason I went for it!

#11215 7 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Prismatic core online.

awesome!!!!!

You must be pumped! Let us know how setup goes and take lots of video!

#11267 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

What is the reason for the flipper infills? Are they used for flipper alignment?

they are awesome! You can literally unscrew the whole mech with the standard 8 screws (actually better than standard since they are inset into a female reciever in the of), disconnect the wires, and drop the entire and correctly aligned flipper in under 30 seconds.

This makes it easy to just drop a new flipper mech in or work on the one you pulled on the bench/table.

It is a genius idea and very well engineered IMO.

The white pf insert for this will be black. You are just seeing one of the first few Aliens to go out which has the white inserts still.

#11269 7 years ago

getting excited...

22 February 2017 21:58 (Local time)
New York Jfk Airport 22 February 2017 21:58
Shipment arrived at connection point

#11274 7 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Hi all, I don't Internet much so is there a way to post video I took of the unboxing and such? Just trying to share on here so you can have a better idea at the build quality etc? Thanks much. I can link to Facebook if not.

curious if you had any tips for unboxing and getting it up. Someone mentioned on the stream that you had a fuse issue at start but when I tuned in it all looked great.

Looks like #2 will arrive any day now, so want to be prepared.

#11281 7 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Mr snow,
Check out the video see if that helps you, if not I can call you and guide you as I have unboxed heighway games before.
Best,
C

thanks and will do. I will try to check them out this afternoon. Guessing it is just th need to change out the one fuse, same as FullT? for USA voltage.

#11284 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Are you putting this one out into the wild? The people of Madison are so lucky you have a lot of great games on location. Congratulations and please share some pics or video.

yes sir. Aliens #2 is owned by Madison Pinball (myself and 2 good friends that put our personal games out on location and do our best to provide a good pinball route experience).

We are big supporters of Heighway with a Full T on route which has done exceptionally well and has steadily grown to a favortie of many locals. We were also a D1 commitment for Aliens. Excited to be getting game #2 off the line and to be able to share it with the local and supportive players in the area.

It will be at Alt Brew a local brewery in Madison from when it arrives and we are also throwing an official Launch Party on April 1st if anyone wants to come hang out.

I am actively working to try and get a twitch superstar form Chicago to make the trek up and Stream the game, so if you know him then be sure to ping him and tell him to come on up.

#11285 7 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Yes I would go for a 6amp slo and keep an eye on it. My 3 year old actually was the one to blow the fuse. Game operated flawlessly after the change. Also I had great support from Andrew on any issues. I really had none. Only other tip would be to remove filler bolts so that the head can be properly attached from the inside of the back box.
Good luck with your game and I am sure it will be a great earner for you guys.

thanks! Is yours staying on route?

so happy to be able to play ours in the next week or so. It made it safe to JFK and now just needs to make it safely to Maidson!

#11288 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

If this Alien will be open to the public, I'm not too far from WI. Please let us know where we can go play it.

Alt Brew

1806 Wright St in Madison, 53714
Follow Madison Pinball on FB and I will update when it is available for public play/ after it arrives.
My cell is on all the games at the location and if you experience any issues then just shoot me a text and I will be out. With any new game I am always on top of it to work out the bugs.

#11299 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Alt Brew
1806 Wright St in Madison, 53714
Follow Madison Pinball on FB and I will update when it is available for public play/ after it arrives.
My cell is on all the games at the location and if you experience any issues then just shoot me a text and I will be out. With any new game I am always on top of it to work out the bugs.

I should mention that any pinheads which seak this place out for the game, please be sure to buy a beer/ nachos at the bar and specifically tell them thanks for having pinball. I have found they really appreciate this feedback and we are of course very thankful that they let us take up space with pinball.

#11314 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don't really get unboxing videos, can someone please explain the appeal?

exciting to open a new game. Some want to share in that unboxing.

#11351 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Any possibility of streaming Alien with deadflip? https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

I have asked/offered. Our game arrives on Wed if transport goes as planned.

#11543 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Aurich said this is Dave's game now, not Dennis's

Dennis has also said that and made it clear that it is far from the original mock up Dennis did.

Rob > look back at the photos and you will see a comparison. The game is 99% Dave! It shoots very distinctly like a Dave S game. the guy is a fantastic designer and obviously puts tons into this! I have been super impressed with the layout and geometry of both his games!

#11581 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'm of the opinion the playfield LCD should be removed, save the $75 it probably costs and use the difference to help make the main screen standard.
I never looked at it in FT or Alien. They've done a fantastic job with the text, typeface and feel of Aliens but it's hard to read on the little screen.
Or perhaps if their SoC can do dual screens, if large screen installed make the PF one just have mode shot arrows and basic, large text info.

sorry Ben. You dont have enough time on the game yet to make a properly educated opinion on this IMO. I have watched over 50 people learn how to play FullT and now Aliens. It takes around 10 games and the brain starts to retrain to pay attention to the in pf screen.

Seriously, without fail, every time. For some people it takes a little longer, but everyone learns to use it and then loves it. It is a funny thing to watch, but we are trained as pinheads to look up for status all the time. the in pf screen on Aliens especially does a great job of giving cues to the player. It also really sets the mood in some modes and is one of the best intergrated new things in pinball in decades.

You are right on many things Heckendorn, but this is one where you could not be more wrong IMO

#11589 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm on the fence if I would do the backbox screen.. it looks very nice, but is totally not necessary @ home

I cant imagine it without the backbox screen. It is stunning.

Even in the home it is a sure thing IMO.

#11641 7 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Again, as I flip the game a lot of things are going to get more intense.

excited for you to flip the game and be able to tweak from there!

I can only imagine where it will go once you get your hands on it!

#11644 7 years ago

That is a symptom of the board problem only

yup that pop bumper light works totally fine. I tested by plugging lower into other pop connectors and no issues. Will all be resolved with production light boards.

#11666 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've suggested this before, but I'll mention it again... just make the you have failed an optional operator setting.
In most mode based games, I never really notice if I've been successful or not. But in Alien, success makes a difference on other modes, so it's more important to reiterate.

I like the "You have failed" Pinball machines used to heckle us and I ove that!

I like user options in the menu, but I would rather the time be spent on more important options than how "green ribbon" the failure screen needs to be.

Aliens is a pretty rouch theme to begin with. You fail in the movie and you die. Failure here just means another start button press

#11673 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is the game being marketed to hardcore pinheads, or something bigger?
I'm sure Andrew's business plan calls for more than just Pinside sales even if that's where the early adopters are and low hanging fruit. That's all I'm getting at.

I wont share numbers specifically, but can tell you that Aliens has done better on route in the first 3 days than most new games do in the first 3 weeks.

This is not indicative of how it will do elsewhere, but it is indicative that the general public is not only willing to drop in a buck, but willing to replay it a few times also. Only time will tell, but I think the game is going to sell beyond pinside.

#11680 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Oh yeah, came here to say: If you don't have the spare cash for this game, don't watch the Dead Flip stream!! This game looks more stunning every time I see it. And who knew Whysnow could actually play?

lol. Not really. I kept bricking my skillshot. I was nervous to be on stream and play

It was a really fun experience and I encourage others to do it if you get the shot.

#11682 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think the suggestion was to add other ball endings, as this ending seems to appear as the Only ending in many cases.

more endings would be great!

#11733 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Well it's been just over a week since I first saw and played Alien and the game has been on my mind ever since. I finally broke down and put down a deposit tonight on the standard! I really think this game is something special and I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews of the game from TPF. I can tell that Andrew and his crew are passionate about this game and really put their all into making it great and I'm excited to be a part of it!

awesome Mike!

#11773 7 years ago

Yes, to both points. They arrived last night and my guys worked till late last night to get boards assembled and onto games. This work will continue all weekend, as we push to ship 6 games out on Sunday

awesome news!

Really looking forward to installing the production boards as soon as they arrive in Madison!

If you have a spare (evnn old beat up one) xeno head you can send along, I would love to make a sweet trophy out of it for the launch party on April 1st!

#11776 7 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I know if feels like 3 months since those two games shipped - but in reality, it's been what, 3 weeks between the two of them?

Madison Pinball game arrived 11 days ago. It has been out for public play for only 8 days.

You are correct that internet time can feel much different than real world.

#11778 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The fact you can't trust much that is said

I think "timing" is the important part you are missing.

Seems to me that everything shows Andrew is VERY trustworthy. He also seems to be getting much better on predicting timing on not over promising

#11783 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryno:

Has any Alien machine been fitted and tested with these 'production' boards before?
I think it is very optimistic to say the boards have arrived, being fitted to have 6 completed machines out by Sunday if not. We have only heard of hand produced boards being made on the 2 we know have gone out.
Not trying to jinx it, or be negative, but that is a very bold and confident statement. Hope all goes well guys.. Fingers crossed that they are all working and as fully functional as everyone hopes. And congrats to those 6 who are going to receive them.

boards from factory and boards that are 'production' are the same for all intents and purposes of design and fit from what I gather.

'produciton' boards are same design and fit, just the pro shop doing all the component drops and soldering as I understand it. This is not a dramatic change. The first 2 went out with the factory assembled boards in order to get them out the door to us select few locations.

The produciton board delay was due to china new year celebration (same issues homepin and colorDMD encountered with delays)

#11793 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Did I see a BOP 2.0 in the factory? About 8m29s

Saw a fire and a space shuttle also. Love seeing other games. Shows they are actual pinheads.

#11855 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Where do yo have this information from? Because I dont think it is correct.

games dont have any plastic covering.

Playfield is a regular pf with nice printing and clear coat. The in pf screen is an actual screen and seems to hold up just fine. Our Full Throttle has been on route for over a year now with hundreds of plays and looks clear. It cleans and waxes just like the pf.

#11881 7 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

The computer change out sucks , but I can live with that , I'm wondering more along the line of whether or now the side blades will work .

Side blades are an add on from what i understand.

#11892 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Or just the cabinet sides shipped flat. I believe the cabinet is screwed together like a piece of Ikea furniture?

? ikea is crap.

These are built like a tank!

#11898 7 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

i thought i read that they have now recessed them for clearance when lifting the playfield , perhaps i read/took that wrong ?

you are correct. I should have been more clear. The light up side and back blade is an option.
The side blades themself are on the side like normal from what I can see. The difference between our Full T cab and our Aliens cab is that the Aliens cab has a spot routed out behind the side blade which accepts the el light to light the blades up.

#11948 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Is the 27" really worth the extra $500? Give me your opinions please.

100% Y E S!

Super awesome. Crisp image, you will love it.

As others have said, a colorDMD is $400 upgrade. Makes this a bargain in comparison.

#11960 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I was under the impression that only the 2 on route machines in the US shipped and then the ones that went to the trade show in Italy.

I think they are at 10+ out the door now?

I know my produciton light boards arrive either today or Friday. I am guessing that the #s will start to tick up at a quicker rate in the next month or 2?

#12014 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'm afraid that the answer may not paint their company in a flattering light, and that may be why we haven't heard anything.

I am pretty sure they just dont have all the things worked out quite yet.

Given Andrews customer service and dedication to taking care of those that were early adopters, I believe him when he says he will take care of us with Full Throttle. No need to be skeptical Russ. Let the man figure out the kit logistics for those of us with original FullT and then we can lynch him if we are not happy

#12016 7 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Why the F**K would you spend $550.00 on a 27" commercial LCD for home use only?

simple

it looks amazing. It also really sets the mood of the game (lighting/ light) in many ways.

#12033 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I hear you. I support Heighway. But, why would they not have done the kits first? It seems like it would be simpler than building complete games. It would've built good will for the early adopters and supporters of a new company. Instead, complete games are going out and orders are being placed. We, the very few Full Throttle early adopters are left waiting. Poor form, imho.

I see it as the game was developed as a whole entity. They obviously determined that the original CPU was not going to perform up to their desires with the new title and hence made a change. Once that happened they have pushed forward as the full game entity and stated their commitment to take care of us early adopters. I assume we will get info on what the kit cost is shortly.

We are currently talking about just over 10 games out the door as of now and appears the full production parts are just now in. I dont really think it is poor form to get the first 20 games (sample, early production, whatever you want to call them) out to operators, play testers, loyal customers. I actually think that is good for all of us. It gets the games out where they will gets tons of play and people willing and able to give feedback to Heighway crew on adjustments for the full production games. The team has been EXTREMELY receptive to all my feedback and because of that the full production games will be even better.

I basically think your frustration is premature. If Andrew does not deliver in his commitment to take care of Full Throttle customers with fair kit pricing, then I will raise hell with you I have every reason to believe that they will honor that commitment. I also knew as an early adopter that things change and that is part of the gig of being and early adopter, so I think that plays in as a factor.

It is not really poor form to me, when full production games are not going out in large numbers. They need to walk before they run and getting a handful of full games out there is a the best thing for the overall whole process. In internet time is all seems so long. In real world time, Aliens #1 sample and #2 sample have been alive for under 1 month and part of that was spent on a trip over the ocean

edit to add: what would be the potential cost of upgrading the PC in a worst case scenario in your mind? I dont know squat about PCs but one of the partners said the new PC "was a nice upgrade" and "probably not too pricey if we need to later upgrade out Full T"

#12060 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Until they can get the price of kits down... and reliable... your logic is pretty sound. The kit idea just doesn't work well unless the incentive is there in lower costs.. and lower costs won't get there without great volume. Volume is still an unproven thing here..

I actually think kits hold their value just like a full pin.

I have to imagine there will be LOTS of Alien full game buyers and likely some full throttle full game that may be willing to sell their kit after swapping in Aliens. Costs have gone up for games since Full T originally shipped, so selling the kit should be pretty easy on its own.

#12061 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

If changes to that system are needed it should be possible to also update older systems to the new norm at any give point in time.

I assume you are referencing the side blades being recessed on Aliens and not on Full Throttle?

If so, then I think that is tough luck. The side blades are an additional feature offered on Aliens that were not offered on Full T full game. You will still be able to drop in full alien game and play it just fine even without light up side blades. I disagree with any thought that you would expect a manufacturer to upgrade your old cabinet to a new one.

If a person is planning on having a base cabinet style to swap in multiple games then the Full Throttle cab is the best one anyway. Easy to not have to worry about die art at all when swapping between games.

#12063 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'd love to be able to wager on this point, but unfortunately we're on the wrong sides of it. (You own both full games, I am considering the kit.). I suppose a wager could be a hedge...

Quoted from Russell:

I'd love to be able to wager on this point, but unfortunately we're on the wrong sides of it. (You own both full games, I am considering the kit.). I suppose a wager could be a hedge...

I am planning on a kit also, likely multiple.

#12067 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The center ramp.

?

just loosen and raise the right ramp flap entrance so it does not swoop up as much. Butter smooth after that. Right ramp is every bit as awesome to hit as left after that adjustment.

You may need to put a small piece of double side foam down under the spot where the blue steel is to raise it a bit. (similar to what is under TAF for example; if you are familiar with it)

Quoted from Russell:

flippers too flat

You can easily change the coil stop of you want to be able to trap easier. I personally like the angle on them and find it to increase the pace of the flow.

Quoted from Russell:

How many FullTs do you have?

Just 1, but I assume with 2 Heighway cabs, we will be swapping in kits in the future. heck if Aliens continues to dominate like it has, then we may be getting an Aliens kit in the future.

#12119 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Kits sound good on paper to guys who are out of space. Otherwise, not so much. The unrecognized problem is that storing a PF takes nearly as much space as a game.
BTW, how much is the savings when you just buy a kit? I can't believe reduced cost would be a driver on buying a kit.

kit slides right under the game.

kits are ~60% the cost of a full game.

It is feasible and desired for me (both home and for route)

At home, slide the spare under the current game in wasted space under the table. BAM, 2 games in the space of 1.

On route, say you have an issue that would be easier to work on at home... Just slide out the deck having issues and then slide in another deck. Go back home to work on the issues. Bring back the fully shopped pf later that week.

#12121 6 years ago

worth note, that with the Highway support rail system, you can also slide out the entire pf and have something to easily set it on.

Makes it possible to work on the ground or bench very handy.

#12123 6 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

I assume you can probably fit 2 boxed playfields under the cabinet?

no idea. I would guess they would be too tall?

#12126 6 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

I assume you can probably fit 2 boxed playfields under the cabinet?

actually, I am now wondering if you could put them on their sides and fit 2?

#12138 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I would never buy a kit, but I sure would like to have the games.

lucky for you... You can buy full games.

Kits are pretty sweet options for those with limited space and a desire to move around games more easily.
It actually makes perfect sense for me and I wish more manufacturers would offer a kit.

For route, the reality is that games need to go home for full shop out ocassionally. Also, games tend to drop off in play over time. You can rotate them among locations, or you can take them home to shop and then return them at a later date and see coin drop go back up. As a hobby operator, it is sweet to pull just a pf home to clean up and then leave stored under a personal game for a few months till it heads back on route.

At 60% the cost of a full game, the numbers make sense if you crunch them (at least for many they will)

#12148 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is a terrible comparison because JPOP screwed the pooch on SWEP1.

funny part os SWEP1 does not fit in my AFM no matter how hard I try, lol

#12173 6 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

The upper left flipper can't hit the drop targets? It looks like it should be able to.

yeah, there are actually LOTS of other shots I left out of that drawing. I made it in 2 minutes to demonstrate that Aliens is a 3-way fan layout. People were discussing other popular games and I used it to illustrate that Aliens if multiple fans laid on top of each other.

I can draw a new one with ALL the shots and the many backhands I left out.

#12176 6 years ago

yeah, tough shot but the geometry is no problem at all.

#12182 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

whysnow Not sure if you saw my question, but I was wondering if the wider sidewalls of the cabinet are enough to give the playfield clearance to slide under the cabinet from the front, between the legs.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

sorry missed this.

I can measure next time I get a chance. I appears it will fit fine, but I have not tried it myself yet (no reason since we dont have a kit yet)

#12287 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Suggestion to Heighway: I've been watching and re-watching the dead flip video. Currently I'm more than an hour into a 3 hour video.
The Xenomorph has never grabbed the ball. The 4 players are commenting about the Xeno not doing anything and are now rather obsessed with getting it to grab the ball. I don't know what the number of hits required is, but a code update or a menu setting to control the number of hits required would be nice. I think 5 would be plenty. But currently 4 guys have been hitting the thing for an hour and still no action. The Xeno does screach when hit, but still no action.
» YouTube video

I can add to what others have said and I mention it in the video also. THat is a preproduction game and I needed to adjust the opto. yhe new code also has bette mag pulse to help the opto see the ball.

In other words the xeno head works, just needed some operator adjustment

#12289 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Thanks WhySnow for the update.
If you have time, it would be awesome to see a new video of the game play with the head working.
Assuming you are Madison Pinball, if you have some time to shoot a short video to share of game play where the xeno head does its thing I'm sure lots of people would like to see when it happens and how many hits are needed, what mode or mission is in progress when the head works. Its the only interactive toy so its of great interest to see what role it plays.

I am hoping for a few final pieces needed to finish up the production light board install and then getting things prepped for the launch party next Sat. Ill try to grab some video and also trying to get a local buddy that has been wanting to try out streaming to possibly set up a rig next weekend on Aliens. We shall see, but all this is also couched in my ticking clock to get my Viking restoration finished up in time for MGC...

eeeekkkkk, I need another weekend!

#12374 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Yeah, pretty sure they are just standard pinball legs.

I can confirm. Standard legs.

#12377 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Outlane posts: I'm not trying to take peoples money, I want to have fun. I tightened the outlane posts. EASY adjustment.

what do you mean by tighten the outlane posts? Did you move the left outlane up to make it more conservative. I have moed ours up to mid way to help but still gets the ocassional walkback to the outlane form ramp exit.

Is yours all the way blocked now on left?

#12399 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I don't think they've actually begun shipping production games yet.

curious what you define as a production game?

#12425 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Games built as a large order with parts intended for mass production. not trial runs or samples intended to be tests

so, the batch of 100 being built after the first 10 that were preprodcution qualifies?

#12467 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Your a good dude Astro, but to answer your question, and after going over the financials (public) that you can access, I would 1000% be taking the machine home with 400 plays on it.

Have you come up with a new method for assessing relative risk in pinball manufacturers?

Lol

#12498 6 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

non of the call-outs were working (in terms of where you should shoot) so the game was hard as hell to figure out what you had to do.

there are not really any callouts to instruct shots. I think if our lights were working correctly, they would not really be needed, given how good the lighting is.

#12538 6 years ago

poorly delivered humor would be more accurate. Many things dont come across in text.

1 week later
#12690 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There is something else…and I'm waiting for a conversation to end and get permission to use it. Stay tuned…..

If people have not realized Ted's MO, then go back in history. He like to get in the middle of all sorts of things and perpetually has 'insider' info that is coming any day.

#12744 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Specifically, the CPU issue

no issue.

I was told they will have Aliens kits for Full Throttle owners. I assume this means they will include the new zotac PC for easy conversion.
I would guess at the volume they are purchasing this PC that it will be a nominal cost and built in to the kit cost.

#12746 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

How is the installation performed?

this is the only thing I know. There is a video online of the swap process. Can be done in 5 minutes for the pf and super easy.

As for install of the new PC, looks pretty simple. Just plug in the cords in the right spot and affix the new pc in place when swapping for the first time. After new PC in place then just a USB dongle to swap back and forth.

You should email Heighway for your toher questions. They are the only ones that can answer on price and timing. Last I hear they were finishing up the specially designed shipping box which will also serve as storage box under the game for your unused pf while the other is swapped in.

#12750 6 years ago

My impression is at least 20 built and sounds like another 10 are shipping to cointaker ? this week?

Quoted from HighProtein:

I'll amend my last question...
How many pre-production units have shipped and how many production ones have shipped?

From what I gather, only the first 2? (maybe 5) were prototypes) Starting with the TPF ones they appears to have produciton boards and production flipper inserts. Froim what I know, there is an updated Xeno mech board that needs to be installed but those are coming. (all based on feedback and some redesign/coding changes to how the mech operates and is coded. Some great changes to make it more robust and function reliably. In short, not relying on opto to sense and ability to adjust over time to be correct action; think thing flipper auto adjust style)

I think you can consider anything prior to #10 a sample/pre-produciton pf. Anything after #10 appears to be full production with likely a few minor tweaks that are easy to do for an owner.

I personally am very glad they have done this method of trickling out in smaller batches and making adjustments as they go based on feedback and audits. It should help to really bullet proof the game for those future owners (ones that also are not as adept and making some to the modifications and giving the feedback)

#12754 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What on earth have they been doing over the past couple years?

from the looks of the videos, it appears that they are building up to do lots of inhouse parts production and have the ability to make games at the eventual pace they want/plan for? just my personal guess. I am happy for them that they are building and shipping games (even at a calculated and slower pace)

Quoted from Cheeks:

But there are serious red flags here.

I guess I dont look at the need to swap out a single small board on a few pre-production units as a red flag.

If anything I look at it as a positive that they are making changes and doing so at this stage.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Using customers as quasi-QA/beta testers is going too far for me.

I cant speak for others, but I knew exactly what I was getting when we negotiated to get game #2 built. I can also say that the service, reaction to feedback, and adjustments to make improvements has been exceptional. I have to assume everyone else buying an early run game was also not only knowing but excited to get one and more than happy to help out.

#12759 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

did a fair bit of research when tech support told me that's what they were using. They seem as solid as any brand out there from what I read--lots of positive reviews actually. What specifically are you talking about?
Also, full disclosure, your posts are usually overwhelming negative in this thread so I am suspect of your intentions. No offense!!!

I also researched the exact model in our Aliens and reviews were acrossed the board good.

#12791 6 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

if the tongue was at ball level then hit by a fast moving ball I can see it getting damaged very quickly.

tounge is heavy duty geared steel piece. I think the ball would get hurt first?

Quoted from windoesnot:

One very minor issue, in Queens nest mode it tells you to shoot the pops yet shots to the orbits don't make use of the up post to drop the ball into the pops, seems very odd

tell them to adjust their orbit proximity switches in test mode. Likely just need to be pushed up towards the pf a bit to register better. This switch is what tells the diverter to trigger and put ball into pops.

#12795 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is disappointing. There are now 3 LCD screens so there's no excuse for not giving the proper information.
This is just another reason why I wish they would make the backbox LCD a standard feature so they could design to that spec. I feel like the movie clips could go on the backbox LCD and then use the playfield screen as more of a HUD for constant realtime status. Information could be formatted differently and sized up to make it easy to read on the fly. Things could be so much more efficient if they created uses and information for each specific screen separately rather than creating something that has to work in the backbox and then is just scaled down for the playfield.

the 3rd mini LCD was added late in development. I expect it will be used in a completely different and better way in future code updates (the code team has specifically already said that).

You need to also keep in mind that it takes a few games to train yourself where to look on any screen and to know what to shoot for. Similar to DI, it could use a few more and better cues, but after 10-15 games you know the modes pretty well and then the lights cue you in on what to shoot for.

I agree that it needs some better cues and quicker feedback as a player learns, but the info is mostly there already (you just have to learn where to look for it)

#12797 6 years ago

when can I get the next code update Joe?

#12805 6 years ago

it is way up the pf and side hits are unlikely based on code. I think they are making some further updates to how that works to help reduce/prevent it.

#12815 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

From Heighway pinball:
"The price for the Alien game kit is $4,350. The CPU swap is an additional cost and this is cost is $225. This cost can be lowered if you return the original CPU from the your Full Throttle the price then becomes $150. There are slight differences between the two cabinets. The Alien cabinet has additional slots on the inside of the cabinet to accommodate for the EL lighting system where as the Full Throttle cabinet does not have this feature. There will be a playfield storage solution that we will offer in the future as a product."
Let me know if anyone is interested in buying my Full Throttle.

That is a great deal and nice to see some hard numbers around it. only $150 to upgrade the PC seems like a more than fair solution.

#12818 6 years ago

yeah they would have been better off just saying "Aliens kit is $4600 and includes the new PC; return your old PC and get $100 back"

Reality is that is what it is a still a good deal. They are also pretty darn close to the original estimate of 60% of the full game price so that is good.

Some will complain no matter what, but lets be honest $150 to upgrade your game is a small % of the total cost

#12821 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'll just say this cpu thing was mishandled.

whom knows. a 1 off email is not official communication. Maybe it will change?

#12825 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

What is a promise of forward compatibility

I dont think I was ever promised forward compatability? were you?

All I remember was being told I would be able to buy a kit for future machines to drop into a current cabinent. Serious question, were we told specifically that all hardware would be future compatible? I just dont remember it like that.

#12831 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

From the videos I've seen it looks cool but the GI is more than enough to light the game.

GI is plenty. I diconnected the LE side/back panels at one time and checked it out. They look cool, but needed from a light perspective at all.

#12835 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Regarding the CPU upgrade - the kits should have priced in a new CPU for the early adopters

agreed and I said that already.

Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah they would have been better off just saying "Aliens kit is $4600 and includes the new PC; return your old PC and get $100 back"

controlling the message is something so many pinball companies seem to not recognize. That said, I will wait to hear exactly what the company message is rather than a 1 off email.

no lawyer here, just asking a simple question of what we were actually told.

#12849 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Just ask the RFM guys how often they switch out to SWEP1.

never.
1.SWEP1 sucks
2. Pin2K swap is a PITA, but you already knew that and are trying to paint a false picture. Heighway swap is super easy and 5 min with one person.
3. SWEP1 sucks

We went over this all 3 months ago when you brought it up.

Quoted from Russell:

I bet Heighway is wishing they had never even done this modular thing.

I think they are very happy with the modular nature and it is a great long term play with future state in mind. I can eventually see having 4 Heighway cabinents and 6 games. Shop out one whole kit and then drop it in a cab. Bring the new pf home shop it. Rinse and repeat. Now I can more regularly swap pfs among locations with less space, effort, and cost.

#12853 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Example: operator has 4 locations. They buy Full Throttle, Alien, HP game #3, and HP game #4, and place one at each location. They wish to rotate titles regularly to keep things fresh (= robust coin drop) at each location. It's MUCH easier for a solo tech to move just a playfield rather than the entire machine: it weighs less, easier to navigate around tight spaces, don't have to screw with taking on/off legs or backbox, releveling, etc.

Yeah, I can move just a pf all by myself without any help and no dolly even needed.

#12855 6 years ago

Kinda hard to believe it's 5 minutes - I spend that changing out a bad bulb.

someone can link the video.

Pull off glass, slide pf forward, unplug 3? connectors, slide pf rest of way forward and rest front on ground.
Carry away and reverse process for new pf.

it REALLY is that easy.

#12930 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Probably referring to the playfield glass not sliding out in a traditional manner, but being mounted to a frame that lifts up.

It is a really nice design!

I like it because:
no more sliding out means it is easy to pull glass in a tight spot.
frame around glass means it is easy to set on concrete and not worry about thermal shock.
frame and snug glass means the game is seaed up better so less coil noise on the outside
drop in a beefy sub and still no glass rattle

#12933 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is it quieter, really?

yes, it seems to be quiter relative to other games. I would say similar to anti-rattle tape.

Basically the framed glass design means the sound from coil clack does not come out the gaps between normal glass and side channel set up. May also be that the cabinent itself is super hefty and dense.

#12979 6 years ago

so May 19th?

#13137 6 years ago

Similar to other manufacturers, production number and game number are not identical

I am sure you have le game number three jim.

#13145 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

You're awfully sure about a lot of things that you cannot possibly be sure of. Unless you're now a Heighway employee or spokeperson?

Quoted from BackFlipper:

Yep, Andrew already contacted me. Sorry, I guess I was confused. I still have Alien LE #3 reserved. Glad to have that clarified early this morning. Hopefully, LE's will start shipping soon. I want mine for League play at my house in July.
Peace!

#13149 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Point being, let Heighway respond or a person contact them for their answer. You just happened to guess right this time.

It was pretty obvious that Heighway has integrity and is an upfront business, despite what some of you like to infer.

They did not double sell a LE. The simple and obvious answer when you are not trying to start some drama is exactly what it ended up being...

#13159 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'm not inferring anything about Heighway. Never have. It's just you always jump in and answer for Heighway when you don't know for sure what the deal is. Like jumping in and saying you're sure Heighway will take care of FT customers and give them a CPU or whatever. Just chill, enjoy your Alien pin and let Heighway answer the questions asked of them. That's all I'm saying.

Ugggghhh

Put your knife away.

I was answering for myself and nobody else. I was sure Jim had le #3. Jim ordered early on. Someone made a simple mistake in referring to a number and some people pull out the wet stone and start sharpening...

#13163 6 years ago

There have been some suggestions that we have only shipped 2 or 3 Alien games. This is simply not true.
I understand the knives are out for us on Pinside again right now.
We have shipped out a good quantity of games and continue to do so every week. We have a good number of customers with Alien games in 6 different countries right now.
For example, 3 more games left only 5 minutes ago - please see the photo below.
As for the Cointaker shipment - there have been no delays at our end. Please direct any enquiries about the shipment to Cointaker. Their consignment is due to leave very soon in any case.
More parts are coming in daily and production is already ramping up ... and will continue to ramp up until we reach our target of at least 100 games a month

Looking great andrew!!

For the second month in, our Alien has been killing it on route!
Almost double the earnings of the next closest pin in a nine game lineup with solid titles.

#13201 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's a little different don't you think? He's received TWO game from Highway and service from Highway already. So not exactly "apples to apples".

He is just pissed since he made a pass at me a while back and i turned him down. Ever since then it is all personal attacks on my character.

#13427 6 years ago

Sorry, i have not kept up on the payment stuff...
Wasnt it only 1k deposit? Why are people paying the full amount?

In some cases people seem to have paid the full amount just a few weeks ago (to jump the line?) and now are wanting out? Anyone that fickle, i would advise you are better off sitting on the sidelines until you can buy a game ready to go.

#13504 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My guess is these are hitting local customers on his side of the pond, and yes, there are substantial people that buy these things that don't post here ( can't say I blame them, actually)....

I have been in communication with a few other owners of games that have them. Suffice to say, pinball is MUCH bigger than Pinside and they only reached out to me as they got my contact info after seeing the jack danger stream.
We have seen and heard of at least 20 games going out the door it seems. I am happy they are taking a slow and steady pace and working to fine tune on these first few batches with understanding owners.

#13506 6 years ago

How many is a few, and what did these other owners want?

Two plus all the pinside known owners of course.

Just talking aliens pinball stuff. Only a handful of us that know the game well at this stage so fun to chat about the cool stuff or ocassional bug (which have been quickly adressed from code team).

#13563 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'll be playing again in a bit. Someone tell me what the best feeling shot is on the game and I'll see what I think.

They all feel great TOGETHER. Hit a 10 way combo and then you might get it.

Seriously, so many shots feel great.
Alternating ramp shots, hit the right ramp from upper right flipper, the inner loop from right upper, successive orbit shots, the shot around the right outlanes, ramp ramp scoop combo to start a mode. The flow is phenomenal and anyone that thinks the game is slow, honestly sucks at playing and needs to make some shots.

Like any new game it will take you a session to learn the shots and to be able to hit them consistently.

If you are a passive player that likes to catch and then hit a shot, rinse and repeat, then this may not be the game for you.

If you like to flow play and the challenge of hitting super flow shots that scream around the deck,then you will likely love this game.

#13652 6 years ago

PoMC has just become the mouth piece for his buddy, since his buddy is not allowed here.

He has been trolling the tread on and off for month now. We all get it... he wont be buying an Aliens. check

back to your regular programming.

Tommy > awesome that you got there! I am not going to watch since I want to experience it myself, but great job and nice to hear the light show is already tits in that sub wizard mode.

I keep wondering if there is a super wizard mode if you complete all 3 sub wizard modes?

#13661 6 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

There are only 2 "mini-wizard modes". What you're calling the third one is in fact something much greater...

I thought there were 3 sub wizard? 1 for Alien, 1 for Aliens, 1 for all the multiballs?

#13682 6 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Ball trough kicker sucks,shoots out so hard goes back in most of the time.
Didn't see a setting for coil strength. I hope it's just not there yet ferret
Easy fix if it's added.

I agree. Would be nice to have operator adjustment for this coil.

That said, i improved ours by bending the tab at top of ball trough just slightly with pliers. Helped a ton.

#13700 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Do you know what the changes/improvements to the mech are?

I dont know the specific changes but can likely explain the issues with the original beta ones and what the change is.

Original ones used a micro controer for the jaw and then a geared motor to move the tounge. Original ones also relied on the pf magnet to catch the ball and the sideways opto to then register the ball was caught before the jaw would engage and the tounge would come out.

A few issues with this were that it had a very tight tolerance for everything to work exactly as planned and if the tounge was out but a ball was still in play on the pf then it could smash into the tounge. That smash could cause the tounge to lodge/stick. A robust built mech so not a big deal to unstick, but needed to be done by hand.

Last I heard the new mech has an improved logic, better micro controllers, and the ability to unstick itself in the case it needs to (in short, if the order of operations fails in the middle then the game will jsut correct itself)

I am looking forward to what the new mech actually looks like. I had some long conversations with some of the team members about it and I am sure it will be a nice improvement.

#13726 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Ok so a few things for you Ferret (or Andrew):
Stuff we found last weekend, Dan Mentioned:
- Airlock needs a cliffy, or its going to get blown out fast.
- Right invert ramp exit switch plastic washers break fast, metal ones on top and bottom hold well.
- if possible coil power adjustment mainly for the trough would be great
As Ty mentioned:
-50m skill shot lol, didnt get to play much at yegpin but got it well playing with a buddy here - easy 100+million game!
Other stuff:
Code:
-Modes are too easy to cycle through, I would think that not necessarily making guys complete a mode before starting the next but maybe make it so you have to at least get a few shots first or it stays on the same mode next time you start one?
-A timer on either screen to let you know how much time you have left in a mode would be great
Physical:
-The EL light blades induce a good squeal into the speakers, if possible better shielding on sensitive cables?
-the ramps have tabs on the end, are they just first gen didnt get used? or is that for the EL wire etc?
All in all, so far I'm really liking it - I have it set up steep (7.2 ish) and its much faster and less floaty, however I cant for the life of me make the chest burster shot at this angle so I'll have to bring it down.
The code, animations, and sound are really really good, cant believe (compared to 'other' companies) how much further ahead it is at launch. The ambiance and shots and layout are fantastic.

what code version are you on?

#13734 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I have a timer on airlock screen for some modes but not others. I assume some aren't timed.
Doh get me that .97 code!

what code version are you on Tommy?

#13739 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Maybe. But check out the metal parts behind the airlock screen and queen head on your game and see if it looks the same. The Alien at Allentown had a lot of metal back there with the same worn finish.

ramps are not worn at all. They look industrial and fit the theme/game very well IMO.

I have no idea if they are doing anything to change them in the future, but they are NOT "pitted" or "worn". They are 'raw' would be more appropriate. Either way, they look cool as is IMO.

#13743 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I am also on .94 code.

same here.

Sounds liek we will get out new xeno mechs/xeno boards along with the next code update?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
9,999 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
431 posts in this topic match your search for posts by whysnow. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.