• 24,679 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by WolfManCat
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24679 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 494.
#3751 3 years ago

Guys, it's no big deal. There's no way to predict me waking up in CA to post some images vs someone taking a pic of a flyer at a show across the ocean. It happens, I don't care, we're just having some fun together looking at things.

It's just the bare playfield. It's going to look pretty different populated and lit up, so no reason to get too picky about how it's presented now.

So moving on, let's take a look at the mode inserts.

As was correctly guessed earlier there are 3 branches, all laid out with the motion tracker layout. We're going to use the RGB LEDs to do a blue "pulse" through the inserts to simulate the tracking, maybe just for the attract mode or something, should be cool looking.

Each branch has 4 modes or multiballs, and then a wizard mode. You pick your film to start the game, and then you need to finish the 4 modes for that film (just start them, not complete) and the wizard mode before you can move on to the other film.

Some things will stack, but this isn't a big stacking game, the modes are about atmosphere and the film, so they won't all jumble together.

The Weyland Yutani inserts are the inlanes, and you need to light both to qualify the mode shot.

modes_(resized).jpg

#3752 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Didn't even see the Alien creature in the green

or the one by the left upper flipper

#3753 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield

Like it a lot. Job well done!

When the playfield is fully populated this is going to look killer.

Now back to look and absorb all the details

Quoted from Aurich:

I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want. full-playfield_(resized).jpg

Please, more talk

#3754 3 years ago

Looks exactly as it should be. Tied together with the screen, plastics and toys this will be one awesome machine. Great work Aurich and the rest of the team !

#3755 3 years ago

First off--I'm really digging it after pouring over it for some time. Sorry that you didn't get the proper reveal that you were preparing for. A couple of thoughts: I really like the subtlety of the artwork. I like how you can zoom in and pour over the detail and suddenly realize "Holy crap, there's a xenomorph hiding behind that flipper" that you didn't notice before. Depth of artwork is really important for me. If I can take thirty seconds and give a table a once over and think "That's it?", I tend to lose interest. Another thing that stands out to me is the "vast expanse of space" that you seem to be going for here. The scale of the ships in relation to the playfield give you the sense that you're trying to capture a grander scale. I also really like the attention to detail regarding the subtle things that probably only the fans of the films will pick up on. The things like the graffiti, the flight suit patches, the attention to detail with choosing the correct fonts to be used for the inserts. Things like that will really set the attention to detail apart for fans that pay attention to these types of things. You went deeper than what I think a lot of people were expecting (i.e. marines, ships, guns, aliens, eggs, done). You peeled back the superficial layers and captured the spirit of the films, the finer detail that I think the fans deserve. Nicely done.

#3756 3 years ago

Looks pretty cool Aurich. Lightin is going to be VERY important for the immersion on this game!

#3757 3 years ago

Hard to judge without seeing everything put together, but looking super promising!

#3758 3 years ago

The playfield looks great. I initially thought I would want some very bold Alien images, but as I think how lighting may come into play with some of the less obvious or half hidden Alien images, the making of this pin seems anything but "tossed together.

I am really looking forward to seeing a populated playfield and a light show.

I have my money ready to purchase. So far so good. Great job Aurich!

Looking forward to hearing Andrews thoughts on the playfield and future steps as well.

#3759 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Guys, it's no big deal. There's no way to predict me waking up in CA to post some images vs someone taking a pic of a flyer at a show across the ocean. It happens, I don't care, we're just having some fun together looking at things.
It's just the bare playfield. It's going to look pretty different populated and lit up, so no reason to get too picky about how it's presented now.
So moving on, let's take a look at the mode inserts.
As was correctly guessed earlier there are 3 branches, all laid out with the motion tracker layout. We're going to use the RGB LEDs to do a blue "pulse" through the inserts to simulate the tracking, maybe just for the attract mode or something, should be cool looking.
Each branch has 4 modes or multiballs, and then a wizard mode. You pick your film to start the game, and then you need to finish the 4 modes for that film (just start them, not complete) and the wizard mode before you can move on to the other film.
Some things will stack, but this isn't a big stacking game, the modes are about atmosphere and the film, so they won't all jumble together.
The Weyland Yutani inserts are the inlanes, and you need to light both to qualify the mode shot.
modes_(resized).jpg

It's an updated Space Invaders

image_(resized).jpeg

#3760 3 years ago

Looks great...excited to see it fully populated...great job Aurich!

#3761 3 years ago

For me this is the most imporant and most impressive pic of them all, I love the amount of multiball modes and general games modes, PF art looks good as I prefer more ambience than a ton of pics and squeezed in art, I think once its populated its going to come together real nice, very happy with the star filled background.

c8a4ae6308886b08ae5ebd94b8350e1becba63fc_(resized).jpg

#3762 3 years ago

Now on to all the other stuff that got approved by fox

Great stuff, Aurich!

#3764 3 years ago

Pan right and pull back.
Stop…
track 45 left.
Stop.
Enhance 15 to 23.
Give me a hard copy right there

oh wait wrong movie

--Jeff

#3765 3 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

You went deeper than what I think a lot of people were expecting (i.e. marines, ships, guns, aliens, eggs, done). You peeled back the superficial layers and captured the spirit of the films, the finer detail that I think the fans deserve. Nicely done.

Thanks man. I'm pretty obsessive about details just for myself, but it's really nice to hear when other people appreciate it.

Quoted from anthony691:

Hard to judge without seeing everything put together, but looking super promising!

I think this is a tough one to view out of context, because a big part of it is the fact that there's a high rez LCD screen embedded right in the middle of everything. I purposefully made it dark around the screen, I wanted it to be really visible, but it means the playfield by itself looks a little dark and empty there.

As I said earlier, ignore that flyer image when you're picturing the screen in your head. I'll work on seeing if we can't put up the dashboard at some point, it will help I think. The screen interface matches the looks of the playfield.

#3766 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just shaking my head, not at the image, but how sloppy this reveal was handled. Aurich starts by teasing a few inserts and then the first full reveal is done with a crappy flyer by someone not even with Heighway? WTF is that? After all of the hard work on this, you think people would invest in a good camera and stop using what looks like a cellphone to capture an image. But it is what it is.
Still processing the art. Really hard to judge a playfield that's void of ramps/toys/mechs. Want to look at it some more before passing judgement. But Heighway, get your marketing shit together guys...piss poor reveal.

Geeze it was less than 30 minutes between the crappy flyer reveal and Aurich's post of a high definition playfield image. You make it sound like it was such a travesty. Try to lighten up dude.

#3767 3 years ago

Aurich, an outstanding effort - congratulations, and thank you!

#3768 3 years ago

I think the playfield looks fantastic! It's going to look even better populated with all the toys & plastics! The inserts are amazing, love the artwork on them!
I can't wait to see a completed prototype flipping the ball around with the RGB lights doing their thing! Well done sir!

#3769 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

first full reveal . . . But Heighway, get your marketing shit together guys...piss poor reveal.

You realize that wasn't their "reveal", right? I don't know why you would get mad at them for someone leaking the flyer. Also, it's an unpopulated playfield, not the full game. Relax.

#3770 3 years ago

Looks good...

Two things that throw me off a bit:

1) there are about 6 squares in the grid areas where the shading inside the square is very different to the surrounding square. The most obvious ones are the two squares below the bottom pop bumper. I think the shading in those squares should match the surrounding squares. When they don't, they stick out like a sore thumb to me.

2) I don't like the cartoon flames - especially the big one. Looks a little overdone/forced to me. Not sure if more realistic flames would be better or not, just feels off as it is now.

One thing that I'd like to see added:

1) In the dark areas around the playfield LCD, I think it would be great if there were more shadowed images in the background - something very subtle and hardly noticeable. Just to break-up the black. Probably wouldn't see anything during a game with all the lighting and everything else going on, but would just give that area a bit more depth when the machine is static.

Outside of that, I think the playfield is very good - should look great populated.

#3771 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Geeze it was less than 30 minutes between the crappy flyer reveal and Aurich's post of a high definition playfield image. You make it sound like it was such a travesty. Try to lighten up dude.

Exactly. Kaneda doesn't even understand what "marketing" is...yet is quick to lecture pinball companies as though he's an expert. Who's the only pinball company that wanted his "marketing" experience - JPOP! Telling.

This isn't marketing Kaneda, this is an art reveal on a pinball forum...something hardcore pinball fans find interesting. A random person posting a pic of a flyer isn't "bad marketing" by Heighway. Two seconds later, Aurich shared the high rez pf image. Big fucking deal. "Marketing" is when the game is actually finished and they are actively manufacturing and selling the game to the 99% of the world who doesn't read pinball forums.

#3772 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

As much as I disagree with how the troll kaneda worded it, I do agree with the point. First counts.

I posted the amateur version of this to a Facebook feed, and then 30 minutes later posted the high res version. Guess which one is taking all the likes, comments, shares and getting the most publicity? Yep, the amateur one...

Anyway, all publicity is good publicity It's a really nice piece of work Aurich

#3773 3 years ago

Lots of detail, the more you look the better it gets.....excellent.

PS....stop quoting kaneda....f n a

#3774 3 years ago

Well ya know that seems to be my mo in life, always the advocate for integrity...

just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should...

back to Alien...I like the top half (screen area up)

Bottom area compared to say Hobbit is a meh...But better than the lower of RZ, imo...

waiting on population and lighting to make a final decision about how I feel.

Still in!

#3775 3 years ago

Guys, I am relaxed. All I am saying is this...a good plan to reveal avoids this type of stuff from happening. But look, it's over with and no big deal. Just hate seeing people's work presented incorrectly or in bad quality, that's all.

Back to the playfield itself. I really can't judge this until seeing it complete. What's exciting me the most is what they are going for...creating an atmosphere with the game. With that in mind, it needs to be judged as a whole, not by each part. Have to wait to see toys/mechs/lights/effects to see how it all ties together. It looks like a space game. Alien is a space movie. I'll have to wait on more feedback.

#3776 3 years ago

Nothing easier than being a critic. I really don't think you can be critical until you see it populated. I don't think the playfield should be too busy, loud, or be some kind of artwork that you would hang in your living room. The toys, plastics, ramps, lighting, etc. should be able to stand out. The inserts look very clean and I like the colors up top. It looks like there is a ton of detail that would be easy to miss. I look forward to seeing more because I like what I see so far. Thanks for sharing!

#3777 3 years ago

Is the red area a reference to something? Reminds me of Ghostbusters 2's river of slime.

#3778 3 years ago

Loving the space jockey ship wrapping around the top, it shows off some of that great Giger artwork I was hoping to see. The Weyland-Yutani inserts are great...hopefully more will come on the cabinet, etc. The ship flame trails might have to grow on me, but overall I think it's great work!

Actually maybe that's not the ship from 426? Either way, I like it.

#3779 3 years ago

From UK pinball forum

Image00038_(resized).jpg

#3780 3 years ago

Ok, it is feedback time and as ever that can be + or - .

Overall really like the top of the p/f and the bottom of the p/f. Very atmospheric.

The only bits that at the moment seem a bit incongruent are the red bug stomper the nostromo ship/emblem. The style of those seems different to the rest of the p/f.

But it's going to look different populated, lit etc so only looking at a photo right now.

It will certainly be good to play in the dark! And whilst easy to nit pick overall it's very good

#3781 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the full playfield. I was going to talk about some more details first, but since the flyer is out that seems silly. I can still do that more later if people want.
full-playfield_(resized).jpg

I think the composition looks great. I think the inserts look great. I really like the color palate as well. I think you've done a great job with the playfield. Tons better than the stuff Stern is cranking out.

The few things I dislike. The blood spatters on the playfield in what looks like the inner loop and the chest burster insert. I think since it will have RGB lighting, you should just make the insert flash red for the effect. I also don't like the flame trails on the ships. It looks like a totally different style and I think it clashes with the rest. I like the graffiti and patches, but they look a little out of place just floating around in space. Maybe they would like better on plastics? I'll reserve judgement on that for when the whole package is revealed.

Overall, I think you did a great job.

#3782 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

kind of a dick move to post the flyer...I mean if it was weeks ago and kind of a sneak attack like the gb leak, it would have been kind of cool....But right in the moments before the artist having his little moment to put it up in a fun way he had planned out for everyone is pretty shitty!

I'm not sure if you're recently out of kindergarten, but not everyone is looking for pointless melodrama and willy waving. I can't speak for Aurich (or Heighway) but somehow doubt he was put out. This was and is not priveleged information. They're sales flyers. A couple of the staff had stacks of them to give away to anyone who was interested. Andrew didn't press it into my hand, making me swear on my mother's life not to show or tell anyone. It's not under NDA. It had already launched. You and more than 99% of the people looking at the thread aren't or won't be at the trade show. People are constantly begging for more information. I was in a position to share what they did have at the show, which people were obviously interested in given the short time since approval. If I'd posted about what was (and wasn't) at the show without the flyer (which I made sure was a decent enough photo to show detail) I assume you'd have been crying and calling me a liar. If you have no idea what a 'leak' is, try not to expose your stupidity.

#3783 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is the red area a reference to something? Reminds me of Ghostbusters 2's river of slime.

I thought it was a helmet initially, but I didn't notice the walls of the ship on the sides.

Quoted from Perspex:

Loving the space jockey ship wrapping around the top, it shows off some of that great Giger artwork I was hoping to see. The Weyland-Yutani inserts are great...hopefully more will come on the cabinet, etc. The ship flame trails might have to grow on me, but overall I think it's great work!
Actually maybe that's not the ship from 426? Either way, I like it.

It appears to be inside the ship on LV 426. Not sure why the choice for red, but it doesn't look bad.

eSy3P[1]_(resized).jpg

#3784 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Nothing easier than being a critic. I really don't think you can be critical until you see it populated. I don't think the playfield should be too busy, loud, or be some kind of artwork that you would hang in your living room. The toys, plastics, ramps, lighting, etc. should be able to stand out. The inserts look very clean and I like the colors up top. It looks like there is a ton of detail that would be easy to miss. I look forward to seeing more because I like what I see so far. Thanks for sharing!

There's a difference between being too busy/loud and being very dark and generic-looking. Nothing really pops, nothing really screams ALIENS, etc. Little too Space-Generic looking to me. But maybe with the plastics, etc...it'll pull it together? Right now, it's a bit of a let down, honestly.

#3785 3 years ago

Andy, Aurich and team, this looks absolutely killer. I'm putting this on my wanted list for sure. Way better then I ever could've have imagined!

#3786 3 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

It's an updated Space Invaders

Eh, not quite. Hand drawn PF art from the 80's is so incredibly detailed. Too bad the gameplay is shallow compared to todays pins...

That being said, I do like the Alien PF art better than 95% of what I'm seeing from Stern.

space_invader_pin_playfield_(resized).jpg

#3787 3 years ago

Its always hard to live up to the type of expectations you have on a high priced game that everyone has been looking forward to see for over a year. Having said that, I really like the bottom half with the motion tracker look and the aliens behind it. I also like the subtle grid that covers it, giving it that vintage computer appearance that lends to the era and feel of these films. I think once populated it will look fantastic. I will say that I'm not sure how the green armor is going to compliment the artwork we see so far, but there may be another color option before its all said and/or the plastics may handle that.

#3788 3 years ago

Pouring over the high res image with this music in my head...

#3789 3 years ago

Was really hoping for something with a tone of isolated or obscure fear in the landscape. Maybe these type of settings can be used on the ramps(see pics)?
Like the bottom of the playfield and the space, but feel you need to put more Alien hive stuff on the surroundings. Good job for first attempt.

BioLandscape_II_(resized).jpg

tumblr_m691udhGeP1qjz8xzo1_1280_(resized).jpg

hr-giger-dark-water_(resized).jpg

#3790 3 years ago

Great job - will be even better when playfield population gives the context. The only thing I do really not like is the cabinet - but nevertheless I am totally in!

According to http://heighwaypinball.com/Gamenew/ it will have...

The widebody game, currently in development, features
4 Flippers
Alien Xenomorph Models
Facehuggers
Chest Bursters
Space Jockey
Pulse Rifle Gunfights
Robot Sentries
+ Much Much More!!

#3791 3 years ago

I like the color transitioning throughout and I'm really digging the bloody alien mouth on the left side that is coming out of the dark. It is a good base for what will be a great pin. Bring on the toys!

#3792 3 years ago

Can we get a better picture of the standard edition cabinet on the left, shown on the flyer, if possible? It seems to show the playfield (with artwork) in the cabinet.

#3793 3 years ago

I reserve judgment till I see the entire game but not liking at all what I see so far art wise

#3794 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm not sure if you're recently out of kindergarten, but not everyone is looking for pointless melodrama and willy waving. I can't speak for Aurich (or Heighway) but somehow doubt he was put out. This was and is not priveleged information. They're sales flyers. A couple of the staff had stacks of them to give away to anyone who was interested. Andrew didn't press it into my hand, making me swear on my mother's life not to show or tell anyone. It's not under NDA. It had already launched. You and more than 99% of the people looking at the thread aren't or won't be at the trade show. People are constantly begging for more information. I was in a position to share what they did have at the show, which people were obviously interested in given the short time since approval. If I'd posted about what was (and wasn't) at the show without the flyer (which I made sure was a decent enough photo to show detail) I assume you'd have been crying and calling me a liar. If you have no idea what a 'leak' is, try not to expose your stupidity.

It's not your fault at all man. You are right. Once a company hands out any materials, it's fair game to share. Heighway should have done a midnight drop of assets if it knew this was happening today. But like other's have said, it's not big deal. You do get one chance at a reveal and that's marketing 101 Rare

#3795 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Kinder was 30 something years ago for me so some of you here may think that's fairly recent....But I just kind of pictured Aurich, head down, hands in pockets, kicking a can down the street after your big poster reveal...Enough melodrama for you there?

#3796 3 years ago

Do the xenomorphs show up better when the blacklight mode starts?

#3797 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Was really hoping for something with a tone of isolated or obscure fear in the landscape. Maybe these type of settings can be used on the ramps(see pics)?
Like the bottom of the playfield and the space, but feel you need to put more Alien hive stuff on the surroundings. Good job for first attempt.

I was just going to say that....looking for a pic. I was hoping for a bit of the bio wall look...
I also wish the green Alien on top had the arms and claws exposed.
Nit picking, I know....

alien_wall_texture.jpg_(resized).jpeg

#3798 3 years ago

Bottom 1/3 looks okay, the rest, pretty bland. Kind of a shame to have all the awesome Giger concept stuff to draw from and feel like we are in the world of Alien and best they can do it some hazard construction colors. Probably due to licensing but frankly kinda tired of that excuse, pick a more flexible license if you wanna make something inspired.

#3799 3 years ago

What are thoughts on the gray armor shown on the standard? I think black would be better

#3800 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The only bits that at the moment seem a bit incongruent are the red bug stomper the nostromo ship/emblem. The style of those seems different to the rest of the p/f.

agreed that this feels a bit out of place but cant really decide till full populated. I am guessing more color and texture for the plastics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
There are 24679 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside