pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 601.
#9851 7 years ago

I think the LCD screen is crap and should be replaced by a hologram projector. In a certain mode a full scale queen is projected that dances next to you to make you feel happy. Enjoy the holidays and a happy new year to all of you

#9852 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I have sent you a PM - did you receive it?
If you have been charged sales tax by us on an invoice then that is incorrect.
Please forward the invoice to me at [email protected] and I will address it.

no need for a distro in australia, if you are shipping direct to customers yes ?

#9853 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone here wants to stand up and claim that Andrew doesn't listen to his customers please feel free.
You don't make a good game by asking everyone what they want, and then trying to make them all happy.

Technically this is wrong as Homer was the sole designer... He was the only ONE made happy....

#9854 7 years ago

Quoted from ledge:no need for a distro in australia, if you are shipping direct to customers yes ?

There are enough of us to warrant a local distributor when it comes to after sales service etc.
Hopefully the machinations will be finalised soonish and we get a local contact to liaise with directly
We're all fans and think this could be a damn fine pin!

#9855 7 years ago

As promised, here is the latest teaser video for Alien Pinball
Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode
» YouTube video

Andrew, I have a question regarding the LEDs you are using as it would appear in this clip the inserts under the playfield screen are showing signs of ghosting can you please explain what is causing this?

#9856 7 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Andrew, I have a question regarding the LEDs you are using as it would appear in this clip the inserts under the playfield screen are showing signs of ghosting can you please explain what is causing this?

We have shot the videos using our prototypes. Our prototypes use individually wired LED boards. With the large amount of wiring, it causes interference and LED 'ghosting'.

The production versions use 3 large PCBs and this eliminates the ghosting

#9857 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Looking forward to January

Feburary?

#9858 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Technically this is wrong as Homer was the sole designer... He was the only ONE made happy....

Heh, true, but at least you got the reference!

Had a really helpful call last night with Kelly and Joe and Brian last night to discuss details of the new airlock LCD. All the talk about it in this thread was motivating, discussion is definitely not a bad thing! It's just, can we keep it to discussion, and not make it all personal?

The call was at 10pm west coast time, which means Brian and Joe were sitting there at 1am trying to make sure this all made sense. People are working hard on this. I promise you we all make more money from our day jobs, no one is going to get rich off pinball. This is a passion project, through and through. Don't get me wrong, we all hope it sells, but that's not why we're here. We get just as frustrated as you, trust me. But we're still here, still pushing to get this game out.

Anyways. Talking it through was super helpful, we came up with a couple use cases that hadn't occurred to us already. I'm now really confident that this screen is the answer to some problems we had, and not just something flashy for the sake of flashy. It will make the game better, and clearer, and hopefully more fun too.

#9859 7 years ago

When you shared earlier, Aurich, some of the examples of How to use the screen, where it is an "Animated Target"
along with "info" has great opportunities, and in my mind could be an amazing part of the experience!

See, the Peppers Ghost in GB is cool, but the code is stopped at about 9-12 Animations, The explosion part is a "Reaction", to the shot, hence an animated target.

JJP in Dialed in, appears to be adding more.

In this game, where you have purpose for the shot, the Animation to make the shot, plus the resulting reward, if done in the way you have described actually blows me away a bit.

(Think about the animation sequence for Multiple hits, Rewards for Kills....It can serve as the best little mini video game in a Pin in terms of
reactionary display!)

Id only suggest that for some of these you have a variety of clips to keep it interesting for the same purpose, if Possible.

Sounding like this has been tweaked to a Gem of a game I would want next to TWD or AC/DC.... A top shelf Game that brings 100% of Pinball into the Experience!

#9860 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When you shared earlier, Aurich, some of the examples of How to use the screen, where it is an "Animated Target"
along with "info" has great opportunities, and in my mind could be an amazing part of the experience!

We decided this shouldn't be the book from Hobbit, it's going to stay more directly tied to the scoop, and be informational more in the sense of showing you useful info, but not in a "here's some text to read" sort of way. It's not that big a screen, things on it need to read 'large' to be easily visible.

Again, the discussion here is helpful, I do welcome people's thoughts. People are right in that there are already potentially two other screens. We don't need another place to showcase animation per se. But if the airlock doors are closed by default, and you light Weyland and Yutani, then they can slide open to reveal an animated icon letting you know the airlock is lit and ready to start a mode.

We can flash an eject icon when the scoop is ready to push the ball back out, that along with David Thiel's sound cue will make sure you're ready for the ball.

The screen can show the mode timer, but we also thought it would be handy to show you the currently selected weapon, since the main dashboard is not visible during a mode as the screen gets taken over with mode stuff. And if you finish the mode objectives you want to end with an airlock shot, so we can light up an icon letting you know that shot is ready.

That's the kind of thinking we're focusing on in terms of big picture gameplay use. Not something distracting or competing, but something useful, that contains quickly parsed information, but is more dynamic and interesting than a simple LED lighting at the scoop.

#9861 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But if the airlock doors are closed by default, and you light Weyland and Yutani, then they can slide open to reveal an animated icon letting you know the airlock is lit and ready to start a mode.

This is going to be great, I really think the airlock will be a great combination of functional design enhanced by impressive visuals. This, combined with potential for software enhancements and the passion the Heighway team has for this project, makes me believe this will really be an amazing pin.

#9864 7 years ago

Best be on finding out about shipping time frame would be to contact heighway directly, anything else is speculation.

#9865 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

There are enough of us to warrant a local distributor when it comes to after sales service etc.
Hopefully the machinations will be finalised soonish and we get a local contact to liaise with directly
We're all fans and think this could be a damn fine pin!

absolutely

#9866 7 years ago

We are running behind schedule - but not by much. The 20 Standard Edition games should now be ready to ship within 2 weeks of us returning on 2nd January.

Not much to say now till the 16th and hopefully that week something will be shipped, do I believe that? nope, but I hope I'm wrong.

#9867 7 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Man I am so tired of everyone new being suspected of being Kaneda. Get over it already.
Best be on finding out about shipping time frame would be to contact heighway directly, anything else is speculation.

just pointing out that it appears to have been him as that account is now gone along with the posts.

nothing wrong with calling out the obvious...

#9868 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly feel like people are just posting now without stopping to actually look at the game first. Or maybe without playing it first, not everyone made it to Expo, and that's fine. But turning the queen into a facehugger in a tube? WTF? Why??
There are already two leaping facehuggers on the slings. This game, after removing the queen sculpt, still has 6 sculpted toys on it, all of which move or light up and all interact with the ball.
Another facehugger? And in a tube, that sits there, and what? Wiggles a little? What would be the point of that? How does it fit in with any of the modes? How does it further the game? How would a third facehugger make sense? What mode does that work with? And now there's no queen at all?

I do have thoughts to your questions but mate, it was just a suggestion.........not sure I deserved that!

Quoted from Aurich:

Again, the discussion here is helpful, I do welcome people's thoughts. People are right in that there are already potentially two other screens. We don't need another place to showcase animation per se.

#9869 7 years ago

i was happy with the coffee can i am happy with the lcd. build this pin already.

#9870 7 years ago

I like some of the ideas about the new uses for the Airlock LCD, but I really feel like things could be more strategically implemented going forward if they made the large backbox screen standard and then designed each of the dedicated screens for specific uses. I have to imagine that the overwhelming majority of people get the large screen, and duplicating the playfield screen is pretty much pointless outside of needing to do it for those that don't have the backbox screen. If the large backbox became standard, then the development team would be designing around known quantities rather than accounting for contingencies, not knowing what configuration users have.

There isn't a single other instance in all of pinball where the game designers are faced with not knowing whether a user's machine has a feature this integral. Everything could be optimized and strategically used if there was a fixed core configuration that they were designing to.

Aurich mentions the large readability of the design for the airlock LCD, but that mentality should extend to the playfield display as well. If it didn't HAVE to be designed as potentially the only display, it could be used in much more helpful and readable ways than a mini version of the full backbox.

#9871 7 years ago

I would just like to see the Queen modes on the backbox LCD I don't care if there on all 3 screens at once but the queen up on the big 27" display and the playfield LCD in the players eye line would just be pure immersion especially if there is a mode from the end of Aliens trying to escape her lair and the countdown till the nuke gets dropped having that on the big screen would be awesome, with the queen looking down on the player!

#9872 7 years ago

A 'classic' cabinet is what I'm waiting to see. Having swappable playfields are great for those who want to go that route. To me, Alien is a stand alone theme that deserves a dedicated cabinet for it. Full cabinet artwork on the cabinet sides and head is what I'm hoping for. When Heighway comes out with the next must have title, I'll want a dedicated cabinet for it too! I'm getting an Alien pin either way though!

#9873 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

When Heighway comes out with the next must have title, I'll want a dedicated cabinet for it too! I'm getting an Alien pin either way though!

Agreed 100%. I'm wondering if someone should do a poll about this? Just curious how many others feel this way? Because I'm also not interested in a swappable playfield title and will probably prevent me from buying a Heighway pin. But I would so love to own an Alien, so I may have to reconsider.

#9874 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

will probably prevent me from buying a Heighway pin.

why? Just because the playfield is swappable doesn't make it any less of a game than any other full game...? It's still a full, completely functioning Alien pinball machine. They don't "make" you swap playfields and the game doesn't cost more because it's swappable.

#9875 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Agreed 100%. I'm wondering if someone should do a poll about this? Just curious how many others feel this way? Because I'm also not interested in a swappable playfield title and will probably prevent me from buying a Heighway pin. But I would so love to own an Alien, so I may have to reconsider.

Why would a playfield that CAN be swapped stop you from buying a machine? Just don't swap it.

#9876 7 years ago

I guess others can chime in here as well, since I'm not the first to express that I wouldn't buy this or would prefer a dedicated cabinet. Or maybe I am? For me, I like the look of the cabinet to fit the theme. I think the swappable unit makes it look swappable even if you never plan to swap it. I just would prefer the cabinet art in full blown detail to be part of the machine.

I suppose it's just a personal preference... and of course I finished by saying I may have to reconsider. So not set in stone.

#9877 7 years ago

... and if WOOLY happens to be the next Heighway pin, then it would it be a no-brainer for me to ignore the swappable cabinet.

#9878 7 years ago

The look of the cabinet has zero effect on gameplay...

#9879 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

The look of the cabinet has zero effect on gameplay...

Right, but it does have an effect on the aesthetics in your home. This is essentially a huge piece of furniture on full display.

#9880 7 years ago

Toys are not furniture, no matter the size.

#9881 7 years ago

I was interested in what others thought, so I'm going to start a poll in a separate thread. But in researching to make sure this hasn't been done before, I found a thread with over a hundred responses about swappable playfields. Only read the first page, but was mixed opinions (as I would suspect). However, it was very telling that the two posts with the most upvotes were discussing how people wanted permanent cabinet art in all its beauty. Not a poll, but definitely supports my thoughts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-entering-a-new-era-of-swappable-games#post-2999587

Nobody has EVER argued that gameplay is a reason to not buy a Heighway or other swappable pin, but many of us see these games quickly approaching 10k as a piece of art for our living rooms, rec rooms or other.

#9882 7 years ago

I guess we're all in this hobby for different reasons. Some are pinvestors, some are art collectors, and some are just here to play.

#9883 7 years ago

I think it will be cool to have the lit strips on the side rather than an old style cab, it will look unique in my game room. Also the headbox looks great.

The LE will have a gloss black cab I belive and look pretty high end.

#9884 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Toys are not furniture, no matter the size.

Quoted from nephasth:

I guess we're all in this hobby for different reasons.

Right, and everyone is entitled to their opinion of course even if it differs from yours.

#9886 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Right, and everyone is entitled to their opinion of course even if it differs from yours.

Exactly why I'm stating mine.

#9887 7 years ago

Looks pretty bad ass to me.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

As stated multiple times before, there is NO need for a large oversized head now that the boards have gotten much smaller. Have you even seen a Full Throttle machine in person, because the lit side art looks stellar in a darkly lit gameroom. Heighway is trying new designs & fresh ideas, and this is why many of us support the company. Again....you cannot please everyone. Have faith in your vision & your product

#9888 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I think it will be cool to have the lit strips on the side rather than an old style cab, it will look unique in my game room. Also the headbox looks great.

The lighted side art looks great, I don't give the head a second thought. Unless you NEED all your games to look EXACTLY the same, this is a non-issue. I have different sizes, shapes, eras so my Full Throttle looks completely at home in our row of games.

I could see someone preferring "more" cabinet art, I guess, if they had this as their only game sitting in their dining room or something. For me I have 2 rows of games so you see the side art on exactly 2 games...and 1 of them is Full Throttle because the lighted art looks cool.

#9889 7 years ago

The question is would you pay more for non swapable side art?

#9890 7 years ago

The swappable vs non swappable side art is less of an issue for Alien anyway, since both the frame and the Alien image background is black. You'll barely notice that it isn't non-swappable.

#9891 7 years ago

It seems fairly clear to me that someone will come up with decals for the cabinet that would alleviate any concerns about the art not being wrapped all the way around. So... where's the issue? I'd even pay a premium for static stick decals that you could remove if you *do* choose to do a playfield swap.

#9892 7 years ago

“There’s a great quote by Henry Ford, right? He said, ‘If I’d have asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me ‘A faster horse’. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."----Steve Jobs

Stick to your vision Heighway. Your ideas are changing pinball for the better

#9894 7 years ago

This has already been addressed by others earlier in this thread...but what a customer service minefield that would be for Heighway. Someone convinced they want a single dedicated game....and then next year Heighway announces their ultra OMG!!!! dream theme, and they start wanting some way to change their machine to a swappable cabinet. The cabinet looks great - keep it dedicated if you want. This seems like such a complete non-issue.

#9895 7 years ago

I think the pinball community has always been pretty traditionalist and resistant to change in design and play. It's like we want more depth and innovation, but not too much or we freak out. That's why there was resistance to Pin2K, there is resistance to Heighway's cabs, resistance to Jersey Jack's pins and why Dialed In has a bunch of people annoyed. Personally, I think it's all great, I love people pushing the envelope and embracing technology, new ways of doing things, and keeping things interesting and exciting in this hobby.

#9896 7 years ago

I don't see why you can't have a dedicated cabinet that is still swap-able, the only issue would be mismatched artwork. I agree that Alien done correctly would be a showcase machine, completely deserving of a dedicated cabinet.

#9897 7 years ago

I dont have a problem with how they look but i do understand why some people would just want a standard cab. Like nwpinball said that the pinball community is slow to like change. They want the latest and the greatest but when it has big changes its too much!

Heck there are probably people who didnt want a dmd on the back box, or wire form ramps, or maybe some are still mad that they added flippers to the machines!

In the end they should still make a standard cabinet for those who want it to match their decor

#9898 7 years ago

The pin looks totally "Badass" in that pic Poakey posted.

I'm just waiting for a video release before sending in my next "production payment".

I've waited this long, if it moves me further down the build list I can live with that, still want to see the final package.

#9899 7 years ago

Copied from the poll thread:

Swappable playfields or permanent cabinet art? Why not have both at the same time? If you have 10 minutes, the physical cabinet front and sides can be replaced easily.

Here is something Andrew had to say a year ago in the quote below. Remember, Heighway has smartly designed in modularity and with that idea, swappable full cabinet panels are possible (not talking about the swappable lighted art panels). I think we could have the best of both worlds by having dedicated full cabinet art replacement panels with pemenant dedicated art decals and the lit up interior replaceable light signs on both sides of the cabinet at the same time that could change with theme for people that just have to have themed art all over the cabinet sides. As a bonus everything remains swappable so no one would get left behind with a fixed cabinet if a dream theme comes along and space is a factor. As for as a traditonally shaped backbox with dedicated art on the sides... leave that to the Heighway team should they decide to design a traditional back box but with swappable side panels. Just thinking out loud...

Here is the quote about replaceable cabinet side panels (that could be covered in themed art possibly)

We have all seen how tatty cabinets can become over time. Worse still, vandalism can make a game look very poor. Nobody likes to see "I LOVE MY MOM" etched into a cabinet side! So, it's a good time to report that even the cabinet side panels, cabinet front panel and backbox front frame are all interchangable too. This means that should a panel ever become damaged, for example, then it can be easily replaced. In the future, new trims will be available to allow customers to fully customise their machines. For example, your sitting room may have a lot of pine in it. So, you will be able to purchase a pine-effect trim package for your cabinet in the future to allow your game to really blend into its environment. Such a changeover should take no more than 10 minutes.

If Heighway should decide to design a traditional back box but with swappable art side panels for it I vote they should be liighted like the lit swappable cabinet side art panels. Innovation!

#9900 7 years ago

Does anyone know why there's no artwork beneath the flippers?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/198 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.