pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 272 of 601.
#13551 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

If a person wanted to replace the silver legs with black ones, what would you use? Stern legs, Williams legs? Is there a difference?
Ok its seems there are different lengths.
Q: What Length legs does Alien use?
Q: Is the bolt hole spacing standard across lengths?

The Full Throttle Red LE comes with black legs from Heighway, I'm sure if black legs was a deal maker/breaker for you then asking Andrew about a set of black legs direct from him with your Alien could be easily arranged, saves you sourcing a set of legs just open your Alien NIB with black legs included

#13552 6 years ago

Here are some Alien pics from Pinfest yesterday. It looks great and the line was long to play it. Has a very modern feel to it and lots going on with multiple screen in the head and on the playfield.

20170505_152157 (resized).jpg20170505_152157 (resized).jpg

20170505_152138 (resized).jpg20170505_152138 (resized).jpg

20170505_152200 (resized).jpg20170505_152200 (resized).jpg

20170505_152148 (resized).jpg20170505_152148 (resized).jpg

#13553 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I was hoping to play aliens at Allentown to see how it has progressed since I played it at expo. Unfortunately, it was down from about 1:30ish until I left the hall at 3:30. One thing that I noticed that I didn't notice before was the power cord is plugged into the bottom near the front of the pin. I like the accessibility but don't know if I like the cord laying on the ground under the pin like that. Not a big deal, just never noticed it before.

I'd use one of these...
1AnglePowerCord (resized).jpg1AnglePowerCord (resized).jpg

#13554 6 years ago

I don't like the ball launcher mech. I feel X-Files and Indy 500 did that style launch much smoother and faster. This mech on alien is very clunky, loud and doesn't feel good.

#13555 6 years ago

How do we get one of these to Pin-A-Go-Go , Dixon Ca in 2 weeks.??
The same weekend the movie comes out!!
Now thats a no brainer!

#13556 6 years ago

I was able to go out for lunch today in Shepherds Bush, buy a burger and beer and play Alien all afternoon.

First impressions from someone who wanted to like the machine is that it's not for me I'm afraid. Game seemed slow and really not at all intuitive to me. Although the Alien head was fully working and everything seemed to be operating as intended, the call-outs seemed nearly none existent and it was extremely difficult to tell what was happening, what to do next or generally what progression looked like.

The screen where the airlock toy used to be didn't seem to add anything at all as far as I could see after extensive play. For example, during the bug hunt mode it seemed to me that the doors slid open on the airlock screen, but didn't reveal any images of use to the mode or anything that contributed to the gameplay (was hoping to see a bug or alien behind the doors when they slid open, but didn't). Maybe I'm missing something, but the screens which exist (in this case 3) aren't enough to compensate for the lack of logical instructions or audio guidance. There were times during gameplay where the whole thing seemed really underwhelming both visually and aurally.

Interestingly Alien was situated alongside Funhouse which was a clear lesson in how to make a fast game that really ramps up the sound and visuals to guide you through the game. Real work needed in this area on Alien I think.

On the game I was playing, the start and launch ball button don't illuminate? Not sure that was very helpful either, but could be a fault in this particular machine.

When sitting next to the machine with my partner having our lunch during a break it was apparent how the side art is very limited compared to other games, with a big wall of black on the cabinet and nothing at all on the sides of the back box. The modular system seems to me to be a big limiting factor in regard to how the machines can offer striking visuals. Again the contrast with Funhouse stood next to it was like night and day in terms of how these machines work as the full package.

We came away thinking that Alien looks like a machine designed by engineers with way too much overthinking going into the tech and the modular nature of the machine, but not nearly enough attention paid to the theater and playability of the game itself.

On the plus side, played Funhouse for the first time in 20 years and we both had a ball. We both decided we'll get one of those instead of Alien and swap the idea of a Xenomorph eating a ball for Rudy.

You can check this out for yourself if you are in London at BrewDog pub just off Sheperds Bush roundabout. I could play all day if I wanted as there is no queue and they had an ACDC, Big Buck Hunter and Funhouse too.

For the folks in the States who want to play desperately, its quite cheap to come to London nowadays with the dollar and pound being what they are. Might be worth a trip?

2017-05-06 14.05.04 (resized).jpg2017-05-06 14.05.04 (resized).jpg

2017-05-06 14.05.16 (resized).jpg2017-05-06 14.05.16 (resized).jpg

2017-05-06 14.05.29 (resized).jpg2017-05-06 14.05.29 (resized).jpg

2017-05-06 14.05.19 (resized).jpg2017-05-06 14.05.19 (resized).jpg

2017-05-06 14.05.11 (resized).jpg2017-05-06 14.05.11 (resized).jpg

#13557 6 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Alien will be at the Nitro booth at NW Pinball Show!

You are killin' it Tommy with getting both Alien and Houdini for the show. Your booth is gonna be swamped!

#13558 6 years ago

DarthSinex summed up my thoughts and the opinions of others I was playing with yesterday and today. Just an underwhelming experience compared to all the other new pin choices. It's lacking one really fun and satisfying shot in my opinion.

Front of the cabinet looks bland and ugly with like 8 bolts showing and the side panels on this game aren't even lit up.

#13559 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

DarthSinex summed up my thoughts and the opinions of others I was playing with yesterday and today. Just an underwhelming experience compared to all the other new pin choices. It's lacking one really fun and satisfying shot in my opinion.

Thats the exact opposite I have heard from everyone who has played Alien.
Glad to see so many choices out there for every type of player. Heighway has a bright future ahead!

#13560 6 years ago

Nearly non-existent pop bumper action too. This was commented on often during game play. They need big improvement.

#13561 6 years ago

Well, regardless of how any of this plays out, Hallmark is ready.

20170506_122933 (resized).jpg20170506_122933 (resized).jpg

#13562 6 years ago

I'll be playing again in a bit. Someone tell me what the best feeling shot is on the game and I'll see what I think.

#13563 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'll be playing again in a bit. Someone tell me what the best feeling shot is on the game and I'll see what I think.

They all feel great TOGETHER. Hit a 10 way combo and then you might get it.

Seriously, so many shots feel great.
Alternating ramp shots, hit the right ramp from upper right flipper, the inner loop from right upper, successive orbit shots, the shot around the right outlanes, ramp ramp scoop combo to start a mode. The flow is phenomenal and anyone that thinks the game is slow, honestly sucks at playing and needs to make some shots.

Like any new game it will take you a session to learn the shots and to be able to hit them consistently.

If you are a passive player that likes to catch and then hit a shot, rinse and repeat, then this may not be the game for you.

If you like to flow play and the challenge of hitting super flow shots that scream around the deck,then you will likely love this game.

#13564 6 years ago

I cant wait to play one. looks like a fun layout to me.

but I have to agree with the cabs. I didn't like the look of it on FT and don't like it on alien. plus the feel of the side rails is off putting to me. but I can overlook any of that for an awesome game based off some of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still love them today.

Aliens were some of my favorite toys when I was kid, no wonder I'm so messed up today.

I hope they can get these out soon so I can finally play it

#13565 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Front of the cabinet looks bland and ugly with like 8 bolts showing and the side panels on this game aren't even lit up.

Put some googly eyes on it, then you're sure to like it. Or maybe simply it's just not the pin for you. To each his own. I'd say just keep playing. I hated TWD when it first released, now I think it's one of Sterns best.

#13566 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I hated TWD when it first released, now I think it's one of Sterns best.

The code was crap on TWD when it first came out. It's like a different game now.

#13567 6 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

When sitting next to the machine with my partner having our lunch during a break it was apparent how the side art is very limited compared to other games, with a big wall of black on the cabinet and nothing at all on the sides of the back box. The modular system seems to me to be a big limiting factor in regard to how the machines can offer striking visuals.

I agree with you there but then again when you a play a machine you don't really look / play on the cabinet so it could look bare with no artwork on it and the game will still be the same. The modular system is great for ops to change games regulary without changing machines.The only thing which I have to get used to with heighway games is that i'm so used to having my thumb resting comfortably on the corner of the lockdown bar and side rail with other games that it felt weird at first as the side rails are much larger.

#13568 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

but I have to agree with the cabs. I didn't like the look of it on FT and don't like it on alien. plus the feel of the side rails is off putting to me. but I can overlook any of that for an awesome game based off some of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still love them today.

This is really the only knock I have against Alien and FT.. just don't like the cabinet, for basically these reasons, especially the lockdown bar. If Alien turns out as good as it is looking to be, I could see a decent aftermarket biz of putting folks' Alien playfields into traditionally-built cabinets.. black market of this biz would have cabs with killer artwork on 'em Once Heighway gets more titles out, the modularity will be more beneficial.

#13569 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The Full Throttle Red LE comes with black legs from Heighway, I'm sure if black legs was a deal maker/breaker for you then asking Andrew about a set of black legs direct from him with your Alien could be easily arranged, saves you sourcing a set of legs just open your Alien NIB with black legs included

I too thought that could be easily arranged. When I order mine I requested black legs. I was told only silver legs will be available on the SE...

#13570 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I too thought that could be easily arranged. When I order mine I requested black legs. I was told only silver legs will be available on the SE...

I'm sure if it was a deal breaker it could be arranged on an individual basis, its definitely worth asking and stating how important it is to your order, chucksmith it's always worth asking, just ignore Wickerman2 downvoting the suggestion he has a hard-on for me and can't help himself

Edit: see took him less than two minutes, got my own obsessive fan, but if I can bring just a little joy to your tragic existence man then let's share the love brother!

#13571 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

just ignore wickerman2 downvoting the suggestion he has a hardon for me and can't help himself

dude, you're weird. Your post was incorrect, thus disagree, thus downvote. Let's grow up and stick to the pinball facts.

#13572 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

dude, you're weird. Your post was incorrect, thus disagree, thus downvote. Let's grow up and stick to the pinball facts.

Incorrect? Didn't realise you worked for Heighway and knew for certain if someone was willing to pay the extra for black legs they wouldn't be able to.

Heighway is a start up I'm sure if enough customers wanted black legs it wouldn't make sense to turn those orders away when black legs could be added as an extra to guarantee another order, that's just smart business, but I'm sure you will disagree like usual

#13573 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Didn't realise you worked for Heighway

I've ordered and received a pinball machine. My information is based on that experience. They may have changed policy but as someone else that chimed in said, it appears not. If Heighway answered every question in this thread themselves there really would be zero machines shipped.

No worries. Cheers to good health.

#13574 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Heighway is a start up I'm sure if enough customers wanted black legs it wouldn't make sense to turn those orders away when black legs could be added as an extra to guarantee another order, that's just smart business, but I'm sure you will disagree like usual

Well since you totally ignored the actual context of my post. As I said if enough orders showed interest in particular option such as black legs as a start up it would be hard to ignore if it ment locking in number of additional orders.

#13575 6 years ago

I played it at Yegpin today. I thought it was interesting. Felt a bit slow to me, both my friend and I had some long ball times but didn't feel like we accomplished much.

I'm excited to get more time on it if possible though.

#13576 6 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Game seemed slow and really not at all intuitive to me. Although the Alien head was fully working and everything seemed to be operating as intended, the call-outs seemed nearly none existent and it was extremely difficult to tell what was happening, what to do next or generally what progression looked like.

I'm very sorry that you didn't enjoy the game. I'd certainly welcome feedback about what you found confusing... the Dashboard (the full-screen status that shows up when no modes or multiballs are active) tries to give suggestions about what to shoot for. The basic rule structure was meant to feel familiar to players acquainted with games like TAF, TZ, LOTR, Spiderman, etc.

Just in case you'd like to try it again on your next visit to that pub, or if anyone else wants to be armed with a little background info before playing at a show or location (since that's becoming more common as the machines work their way out into the wild), here's a quick crash course on the basics of playing Alien.

=== Anyone who finds joy in exploring a new game on their own might be happier skipping the rest of this message. ===

Alien is fundamentally a modes-and-multiballs game, as you might guess from the grid of mode and multiball status lights down near the flippers.

MODES: Light WEYLAND (left inlane) and YUTANI (right inlane) to qualify mode start. That will light the Airlock shot (top scoop) to start a mode. During modes, on-screen instructions and playfield lights will guide you, but most of the time "shoot the flashing lights" is a good plan. Completing all the shots of a mode will relight the Airlock to win the mode.

MULTIBALLS:

Ambush: Hit the Xenomorph X times to start Ambush. Recent code is more helpful about showing your status toward Ambush on the Dashboard and also by flashing the Xeno targets faster and brighter as you get closer to starting it.

Hypersleep: Complete the drop target 3-bank on the right side of the playfield to light lock on the upper ramp. Lock 3 balls to start Hypersleep.

Save Newt: Complete X Lifecycles to start Save Newt. A Lifecycle represents the life stages of an Alien: Egg (orbit shots), Facehugger (1-2-3 shots), Chestburster (lane by upper-right flipper), Xeno (Xeno!). You have to shoot them in that order to progress. For the stages with multiple shots, any one suffices to progress. Flashing square inserts around the playfield indicate the next available Lifecycle shot. The right side of the Dashboard shows what stage you're at within the Lifecycle, and how many more Lifecycles are required to start Save Newt.

Sentry Guns: Collect 1000 ammo to qualify. Ammo is collected from shots and switches. The upper-right section of the Dashboard tells you how much ammo you have, and reminds you that Sentry Guns is available at 1000. Once you reach 1000 ammo, shoot the Vent 1 shot to start Sentry Guns.

During any multiball, shoot the flashing shots.

That's the basics! Hopefully not too confusing. Of course there are many secondary rules and objectives, as well as tricks to improve your score, but perhaps this summary will help you get into the game.

#13577 6 years ago

What's missing in this pic?

IMG_7250 (resized).JPGIMG_7250 (resized).JPG

IMG_7251 (resized).JPGIMG_7251 (resized).JPG

#13578 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

Damn it was shipped without one, Thats one way of defeating the xeno is by not actually having it present

#13579 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

Did both games come to YEG pin like this?
What's up with that?

QSS

#13580 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I agree with you there but then again when you a play a machine you don't really look / play on the cabinet so it could look bare with no artwork on it and the game will still be the same. The modular system is great for ops to change games regulary without changing machines

Don't play the cabinet but the cabinet would be in plain site in my gameroom on display with other games costing thousands of dollars. It would be the most expensive pin I owned and look the worst in the lineup. To me that matters.

When buying a used game, I'd like to not have one with lockdown bar holes drilled all over the front of the cabinet and filled in with rusty bolts. I certainly would hesitate on buying a brand new game riddled with shiny bolts all over the the cabinet front without even having some artwork to dress it up. I don't care about operators, I care about how a game looks and plays in my home.

#13582 6 years ago

Yes. Seems to be one in a box also

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:Did both games come to YEG pin like this?
What's up with that?
QSS

#13583 6 years ago

They are updating the xeno mechs, so shipped without - should be here hopefully in a few weeks.

The boxed game is a ft

#13584 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

Maybe the xeno crossbread with a predator and has active cloaking technology?

#13585 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Don't play the cabinet but the cabinet would be in plain site in my gameroom on display with other games costing thousands of dollars. It would be the most expensive pin I owned and look the worst in the lineup. To me that matters.
When buying a used game, I'd like to not have one with lockdown bar holes drilled all over the front of the cabinet and filled in with rusty bolts. I certainly would hesitate on buying a brand new game riddled with shiny bolts all over the the cabinet front without even having some artwork to dress it up. I don't care about operators, I care about how a game looks and plays in my home.

Dude I just looked at your lineup and Alien would be the best looking pin you own...and no I'm not joking. I can't wait to get mine and I'm purposely making room on an end for it. I think the industrial cabs with lighted side art looks pretty cool...but that's just me.

#13586 6 years ago

I've played Alien and I think it's awesome. The screen on the playfield, the sound effects and visuals are outstanding. Gameplay is also fantastic - certainly better than some other new kids on the block like WOZ and Hobbit. I've already gotten rid of my WOZ and Hobbit is next. Spooky's AMH still holds my attention and RZ is a decent game, although not as good as their first. I predict Alien LE will be the top pin of 2017/18 (depending on when it ships).

#13587 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

RZ is a decent game

Lost all credibility right there.

#13588 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

Crap,I was going to post pictures with my little pony where the Alien mech went.
Kinda crappy getting two Aliens without the bloody alien in it
What can you do,they redesigned the mech for it,and didn't have them ready.
At least they got them to us in time for the show,had a blast playing them,others did to.
We had the pitch at 6.5,could be steeper to speed it up a bit,plays great.
Also have a scoring issue on multiplayer games where it would only show 2 digits of your score per player after ball one.

Ball kicker sucks on both games,and they are both different.
Comes out to hard sometimes and falls back in.
Couple minor switch issues,they would come off the one ramp.
plastic clamps used to hold them on,slide off and break easy.

IMG_0478 (resized).JPGIMG_0478 (resized).JPG

#13589 6 years ago

The zenomorph was missing but the magnet in front worked fine... just no visual of an alien grabbing the ball with its tongue. The side panels looked badass when they turned down the house lights at the VIP party. Playfield was dark and will definitely need spotlights added. Fun game, just remember its just that... a fun game! Don't expect to see a unicorn here! Its a pinball machine!

#13590 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Playfield was dark and will definitely need spotlights added.

I'm bummed to hear this as this was clearly brought up by me with Full Throttle. Games need to be tested in zero light rooms as you can't count on external lighting conditions.

I had brought this up to Gerry @ P3, and he named their dark room test after me, The Frolic Test .

I did add spotlights to my Full Throttle and that helped, but wish this was addressed on all new games. At least it is a tweak that can be done.

For anyone wanting to add spotlights, I powered my lights from the coindoor light.

#13591 6 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

My living room.

#13592 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

For anyone wanting to add spotlights, I powered my lights from the coindoor light.

They way I light a lot of new games.....slap a strip above the drain, and done....inexpensive, fast, doesnt block view.........

#13593 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm bummed to hear this as this was clearly brought up by me with Full Throttle. Games need to be tested in zero light rooms as you can't count on external lighting conditions.

Seems like this is an oversight in all the smaller manufacturers games. Their GI lighting is lackluster to say the least.

#13594 6 years ago

I dont believe what was shown, is what the final result is to be in the GI.

#13595 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Seems like this is an oversight in all the smaller manufacturers games. Their GI lighting is lackluster to say the least.

Which is strange because lighting is about the easiest thing to set up

Woz was terrible too. Had to add lighting kit

#13596 6 years ago

I can't wait till the issue is lighting mods for my Alien LE, 2 spots at the slings maybe one near the back for the Xeno head, Apron strip and probably many other well placed strips, with the lit side panels she will glow with creepy goodness, I'm hoping Andrew gets the line moving soon.

#13597 6 years ago

More Allentown feedback :

The people i played with (mostly competitive pinball guys) thoroughly enjoyed this game "as is" . By now , we all know the shortcomings of what has been released. I expect with the addition of flashers, secondary LCD animations, and a working head; this game will blow people away. Especially if you can hear the sound. Every show game should have a headphone jack. Guaranteed you will earn profit selling more games from being able to hear ALL of the sounds. I heard none at this show.

The shots feel amazing on this game. It plays like a widebody. I like widebodies. This is not a game a newbie or a hyper-critical person will walk up to (without knowing rules etc) and enjoy. The 4 flippers alone will take dozens of game to get used to. Having to look at the playfield screen for info and recognizing the subtlety of the minor inserts; all while trying to keep the ball alive, is a lot to take in.

The point of the greatness of this game is there IS a lot to take in. This is what we want in a home use (or even location) game : Depth and challenge.

For location, this game definitely needs a brief on screen tutorial. "Hold down right flipper button for tutorial". I played 3 games and didn't even come away with a grasp for how to play properly. The instinct is still to go for the bigger flashing arrows. There is such a thing as "too complicated" for the casual player. A little push into learning the basics that is built into the machine would go a long way on this title IMO. There are so many shots to keep track of , it needs to be "super obvious" as to what is the important shot.

I would urge people who did not enjoy there first experience to revisit the game. Take Ferrets rule guide with you and try again. Games at a show can sometimes be set up wrong or not have proper voltage. Try and pay attention to the playfield screen. I didn't, but i was concentrating on just hitting the shots available.

This might be a "love it or hate it" title . But i think you can learn to like it and then you will fall in love . Give alien a 2nd chance and then a 3rd and then ....

Props to Andrew and team for hanging in there and working hard to make this as great as possible.

#13598 6 years ago

I recruited some line workers for Heighway while I'm in Prague

IMG_6143 (resized).JPGIMG_6143 (resized).JPG

#13599 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I recruited some line workers for Heighway while I'm in Prague

"they laughed at me in Prague" Dr.Tongue 1982

#13600 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

This is not a game a newbie or a hyper-critical person will walk up to (without knowing rules etc) and enjoy.

The 4 flippers alone will take dozens of game to get used to. Having to look at the playfield screen for info and recognizing the subtlety of the minor inserts; all while trying to keep the ball alive, is a lot to take in.
The point of the greatness of this game is there IS a lot to take in. This is what we want in a home use (or even location) game : Depth and challenge.

There is such a thing as "too complicated" for the casual player. A little push into learning the basics that is built into the machine would go a long way on this title IMO. There are so many shots to keep track of , it needs to be "super obvious" as to what is the important shot.

I would urge people who did not enjoy there first experience to revisit the game. Take Ferrets rule guide with you and try again.

That's the brilliance of the work Ferret has done with the code, it's designed for players by a player and good one from what I hear

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 272 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/272 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.