• 22,637 posts
  • 946 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 minutes ago by Damonator
  • Topic is favorited by 273 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,351 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0117 (resized).JPG
EF7ACBBB-EB6F-49F8-8B4F-12574A5FB3A5 (resized).jpeg
4F6C5452-EED2-4F4A-B7FD-84B88C2AD245 (resized).jpeg
EFDB044C-6569-4EB8-A357-AC39F36BF309 (resized).jpeg
hottoysripley2 (resized).jpg
20180527_182351 (resized).jpg
20180527_182358 (resized).jpg
425-3105-B (resized).jpg
Fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739 (resized).jpg
3100-a_2_1 (resized).jpg
3100-a_2.jpg
D05091EF-0E38-463C-9EEB-84BE0AE3C7BB (resized).jpeg
IMG_0855 (resized).jpg
hwwww (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
B61tYhiIgAA6waI (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 22740 posts in this topic. You are on page 346 of 455.
#17251 9 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In addition to moving ur flipper to the outlane wall, there is a new point of entry to the ul flipper. As pointed out by greenhornet, these are new shots. While these changes are really design choices, on the surface both seem to be improvements, and together make up a big one. I would like to see both of these changes designed or at least addressed by HP. Offsetting this optimism, a concern is whether the changes make the balance of design not work. For instance, it seems you could no longer be able to hit CB target B and would need to relocate it. Secondly, opening a loop to ur flipper, access may be blocked by the ramp. If you need to adjust that ramp to fit in better, I feel it would impact all the ramps and require a complete redesign. Nobody wants that, but if feasible to implement the suggested adjustments, I know it would improve playability, enhance strategy and be more better.

so now you guys want a full redesign of the game.

this is classic pinside.

We shoudl probably ask for them to change the art, theme, and call outs while we are at it.

#17252 9 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

so now you guys want a full redesign of the game.
this is classic pinside.
We shoudl probably ask for them to change the art, theme, and call outs while we are at it.

And what about Sigourney?!!? What else can we rehash?

#17253 9 months ago

Like him or agree with him or not, at least the greenhornet takes the time to back up his claims with in depth research and studying. Even if you think he is full of shit at least he attempts to back up his claims with examples.
So much more refreshing than the typical "this game sucks" post with no support.

#17254 9 months ago

It took until now for whysnow to get blocked. I just can't stand another "lording over" disguised as a fanboi diatribe. I often see the same thing when I pick up kids at school and one kid has his own football. BLOCKED!

#17255 9 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It took until now for whysnow to get blocked. I just can't stand another "lording over" disguised as a fanboi diatribe. I often see the same thing when I pick up kids at school and one kid has his own football. BLOCKED!

Damn...ejected 2 minutes later...the mod staff is lightning quick

#17256 9 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Like him or agree with him or not, at least the greenhornet takes the time to back up his claims with in depth research and studying. Even if you think he is full of shit at least he attempts to back up his claims with examples.
So much more refreshing than the typical "this game sucks" post with no support.

It only took him months of blathering on to actually say something.

#17257 9 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I appreciate that he has an opinion, but he is using bad data. Crap in = crap out.

His observations are based on watching online streams of games running initial code release. On top of that he strung it along for months with the guise of it being a fatal flaw in the design.

If he had just come out on D1 and said he thinks the chestburster shot is too difficult and the result is that people dont get the life cycle (Newt) mutliball then he would have gotten more merit in his opinion. I agree that the chestburster shot is more difficult than others but if you are going for it then it is totally makeable. I think Joes estimate is low and once you try to hit it I bet he is successful 50% of the time.

This is far from a fatal flaw. It is a challenging shot with appropriately balanced risk v reward in the code.
I am guessing that Greenhornet does not realize there is a proximity sensor in the chestburter lane to register a hit also (assuming this is still in current code/builds) so even if you dont hit a clean shot you will still get credit for making the lane.

#17258 9 months ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Well the good news is that the container was discharged this morning!

I had a discharge this morning as well!

#17259 9 months ago

I will make it a point to stop over some time this week to play some Alien and track my success % for the CB shot.

#17260 9 months ago

Well now the whole game is completely ruined! Nobody told me there would be difficult shots in a pinball game! Who wants to buy an SE?

(Do I really need to post the sarcasm sign?)

#17261 9 months ago

Hey as long as the ramps are shiny im good

#17262 9 months ago

pasted_image (resized).png

#17263 9 months ago

so not coming in today per CT. They are hoping for tomorrow but def by Friday is what I was told. Moved so many meetings to later in the week but I'll figure this out. Could be testing that cell signal during the drive.

#17264 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

here we have consequence number one.

Well hot damn... I didn't know we had alt-SteveRitchie here feeding us the knowledge that none of us can discover ourselves!!!

Can you please please please tell us more Sensei??

Or can you simply get over yourself and just add a comment if you think it's worthwhile.

Newsflash... plenty of people are playing the game. They don't need your indepth expose of all the inherent design flaws that only you have the insight to discover and reveal...

#17265 9 months ago

I disagree. I think that this forum should welcome all viewpoints. His was well thought out. It's his opinion and he should feel free to share it with us. If nothing else it's given us lots to talk about.

#17266 9 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

he should feel free to share it with us

minus the Al Capone's vault build-up next time though

#17267 9 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

pirates swapped transponder codes...it's on it's way to Somalia.

IMG_3600 (resized).JPG

#17268 9 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

wait... it gets better?
So you are not even mad about the upper R flipper feed? You are just mad that the chestburster shot is difficult so people are not progressing the life cycles in order to achieve 1 multiball out of the 7? multiballs available in the game. That is funny.

If greenhornet really thinks the shot is too hard and upsets progression, he can just adjust adjust the life cycle progression difficulty in the settings.

#17269 9 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

minus the Al Capone's vault build-up next time though

Nothing else of note going on in this thread, so why not?

#17270 9 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Nothing else of note going on in this thread, so why not?

OK ramp-man!

#17271 9 months ago

Hilton, reminding you AGAIN - i never said that.

#17272 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

green_hornet_660 (resized).jpg

#17273 9 months ago

“there are aspects of alien's physical design that severely hamper overall playability”

verb
verb: flaw; 3rd person present: flaws; past tense: flawed; past participle: flawed; gerund or present participle: flawing
1 1. 
(of an imperfection) mar, weaken, or invalidate (something)."the computer game was flawed by poor programming"

#17274 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

huh

Quoted from greenhornet:

given time, people will come to understand there are aspects of alien's physical design that severely hamper overall playability.

severe = massively
hamper = flaw

same damn difference.

you claimed the physical design seriously hampered playability...

you are wrong and it took 3 months of build up for everyone to see it. That is why people are tired of your schtick.

#17276 9 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

severe = massively
hamper = flaw
same damn difference.

wow, just wow. do you even believe what you write?
are you saying its OK for you to put words in other peoples mouths as long as its a synonym for what someone actually said/wrote? got news for you, its not the same thing. there are different degrees of tact/severity built into various synonyms/anonyms. when it come to my choice of words i try to choose, but choose wisely. don't appreciate someone else doing it for me. no wonder you enjoy the reputation you do on these forums.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you claimed the physical design seriously hampered playability...

that's right, and you haven't even heard a cohesive explanation yet.

#17277 9 months ago

This thread is stupid. Except for ferret , you're the man. Thanks for the great incite!

#17278 9 months ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

ferret , you're the man.

im sure Joe may be getting more opportunities. but keep in mind, unless he has had a change of heart, he is not going to address physical design issues with this game.

Quoted from Ferret:

I'm happy to talk about software issues,
but any physical / electromechanical questions I'll defer to heighwaypinball or ealadubhsidhe or whoever...

#17279 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

that's right, and you haven't even heard a cohesive explanation yet.

How many volumes in the series?

#17280 9 months ago

This discussion of layout and gameplay is WAY more interesting than constant, conflicting shipping updates. If you don't like it, then just skip the message and continue down the thread.

#17281 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

im sure Joe may be getting more opportunities. but keep in mind, unless he has had a change of heart, he is not going to address physical design issues with this game.

I don't really care about what you think are issues. I've read through every post in this thread, including all of yours, and your "big reveal" brought up some interesting points, but none that I really care about. I have issues like yours with plenty of games, but like ferret said, it's not as easy as just changing out one thing, it affects other parts of the game. You had all this lead up and foreplay for your post and it basically amounted to "well, if I was designing this pin, I would have designed this part differently". No shit, everyone would have. I would have put biomechanical dicks everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Then you would have posted about how if you designed it, you would have moved some of my biomechanical dicks, and I would care even less about that.

TL;DR: Everyone has their own thoughts on how things should be designed, based on how they like to play and what types of games appeal to them. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, and the game is what the game is, so stop talking about design choices as if they can be changed now. If you want to talk about that, make a new post called "Alien: What If....: One man's opinion on the design choices of Alien pinball by Heighway" and stop filling this thread with more damned fluff.

#17282 9 months ago
Quoted from zeddex:

“there are aspects of alien's physical design that severely hamper overall playability”
verb
verb: flaw; 3rd person present: flaws; past tense: flawed; past participle: flawed; gerund or present participle: flawing
1 1. 
(of an imperfection) mar, weaken, or invalidate (something)."the computer game was flawed by poor programming"

im a pinball critic, not a scriptwriter !!

how about my failure to capitalize at the beginning of sentences?
how about my failure to use apostrophes?
how about my use of [] instead of parentheses?
its a writing style.

and if you notice, everyone of those improprieties requires fewer keystrokes than what is considered proper/correct. i consider it efficient.

oh, and dont forget about that use of the slashmark separating similar terms to better clarify a thought/point.

#17283 9 months ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I don't really care about what you think are issues. I've read through every post in this thread, including all of yours, and your "big reveal" brought up some interesting points, but none that I really care about. I have issues like yours with plenty of games, but like ferret said, it's not as easy as just changing out one thing, it affects other parts of the game. You had all this lead up and foreplay for your post and it basically amounted to "well, if I was designing this pin, I would have designed this part differently". No shit, everyone would have. I would have put biomechanical dicks everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Then you would have posted about how if you designed it, you would have moved some of my biomechanical dicks, and I would care even less about that.
TL;DR: Everyone has their own thoughts on how things should be designed, based on how they like to play and what types of games appeal to them. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, and the game is what the game is, so stop talking about design choices as if they can be changed now. If you want to talk about that, make a new post called "Alien: What If....: One man's opinion on the design choices of Alien pinball by Heighway" and stop filling this thread with more damned fluff.

#17284 9 months ago

Internet fights...

#17286 9 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's a thing now?

Wonder what publication he writes for?

#17287 9 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This discussion of layout and gameplay is WAY more interesting than constant, conflicting shipping updates. If you don't like it, then just skip the message and continue down the thread.

yeah let's not talk about when people are actually going to GET the game. Let's just talk about opinions about a game barely anyone has played. That sounds right.

How about we just talk about both?

#17288 9 months ago

im a pinball critic.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's a thing now?

isnt everyone here.

#17289 9 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Internet fights...

finish him stooges.gif

#17290 9 months ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Pinside. If that's confiusing to you I don't know what site you've been reading.

Quoted from delt31:

yeah let's not talk about when people are actually going to GET the game. Let's just talk about opinions about a game barely anyone has played.

I've played it a bunch to know the Alien mech still isn't there

#17291 9 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah let's not talk about when people are actually going to GET the game. Let's just talk about opinions about a game barely anyone has played. That sounds right.
How about we just talk about both?

I'm exclusively here to talk about biomechanical dicks and dripping machine-like orifices.

#17292 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've played it a bunch to know the Alien mech still isn't there

I think you need to tell us all about this story. Oh wait, you already have...1000 times. On a game he should never have been able to purchase in the first place. Jumping the line big time and throwing cash at a cash starved Andrew just to bribe his way into an Alien prior to one of his big events...which it didn't make it to. I'd say he got what he deserved.

It will probably get fixed someday and I'm not sure I even care when that day comes...but keep us all informed.

#17293 9 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think you need to tell us all about this story. Oh wait, you already have...1000 times.

If there's a ban on saying the same shit 1000 times I don't think you're the one that needs to be pointing fingers.

Quoted from Astropin:

On a game he should never have been able to purchase in the first place. Jumping the line big time and throwing cash at a cash starved Andrew just to bribe his way into an Alien prior to one of his big events...

haha...Clay "throwing money," Jesus you are out of touch.

#17294 9 months ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

The Kaneda Gazette.

#17295 9 months ago

Hi All

This is the promised pictures of the first shipping Alien games coming to Sweden.

As promised this tuesday by Heighway pinball , 7 games reached us today

After a very long waiting it was like 2 year since this order was made and paid ,the games now finaly are in our warehouse ( well one in my game room )

The games will be sent out to the new owners this week .

Just had a fast time playing tonight , will do more gaming tomorrow.

So you who are waiting for your games , Heighway now finaly delivers.

Enjoy the pictures

sepelrum 1 (resized).JPG

spelrum 2 (resized).JPG

spelrum3 (resized).JPG

unbox sista (resized).JPG

unbox sista1 (resized).JPG

unbox sista2 (resized).JPG

unbox sista3 (resized).JPG

lager sista (resized).JPG

lager sista1 (resized).JPG

lager sista2 (resized).JPG

#17296 9 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

So you are not even mad about the upper R flipper feed? You are just mad that the chestburster shot is difficult so people are not progressing the life cycles in order to achieve 1 multiball out of the 7?

Hilton, quit clowning around trying to make it sound like you know what im thinking. there are probably a good dozen points you'll have to address. and then you'll have to answer to how/why you missed all of them.

only 1 mulitball? would you like to keep guessing? care to check your audits and tell everyone which ones arent getting started?

also note, the version of code running is of little consequence.

the design issue is this: "LACK OF QUALITY FEEDS TO BOTH UPPER FLIPPERS". not just the upper right. but the upper left as well. the existing feeds are undeniably limited and of dubious quality.

dont think there are multiple ramifications/consequences brought on by the lack of quality feeds to the upper flippers. im sure ferret [primarily thru analyzing audit results], has an excellent grasp of where deficiencies lie. Hilton, you on the other hand, came in here claiming you reviewed your machines audits, and found NOTHING wrong or out of balance.

instead you kept posting that shot chart showing 6-7 shots off each upper flipper, "saying look at all the shots, what a great game." what you weren't looking at how they were being fed. even after 6 months of gameplay it never dawned on you just how few quality opportunities you were getting off the upper flippers? anyone who takes the time and reviews all the gameplay video may see that this game plays like a two flipper game, but has four flippers. there is no doubt that people who play this game will eventually realize, 1) that they dont get a fair opportunity to attempt those 6-7 upper flipper shots because their ability to feed them sucks, and 2) that the resulting lack of attempts at key upper flipper shots definitely limits their ability to progress thru/attain several of the games objectives.

my post of the mockup was so people might see what was missing from the current machine - and that was feeds to the upper flippers. it was not my intention to open discussion about redesigning the game, because it is not the actual issue here. it was in the appendix, an illustrative example of a design that would increase quality feeds to both upper flippers. 5 UL, and 3 UR versus the 3 UL [2 being dubious] and 1 UR we have today. and, if that costs you a CB combo shot to the HSR, then its more than a fair trade.

what may not be apparent in that photo is that the left ramp [which can be made from both flippers] would now also feed the UL3 flipper [in green]. the player would have the option to flip UL3 or let the ball pass down the left inlane as it already does. while you may not realize it, this difference is HUGE when it comes to the number of times UL3 is feed. and you know what? it was part of the original Nordman design, but REMOVED. in fact, as already pointed out by another poster, feeds to UL4 were also removed from Nordmans concept. anyone beginning to see how this is starting to come together?

dont get sidetracked on a redesign. the issue here is pointing out the games shortcomings, understanding they will not change, and that we are stuck with a game that has AWFUL UPPER flipper play in almost every respect. haven't even touched on geometry issues yet and whether they can/have been be corrected.

LOWER flipper play - orbits tougher than others but, looks like you can make every shot A-L-L D-A-Y L-O-N-G. forgiving in width, wide open in access. its no wonder advocates talk about shooting combo after combo. IMHO going to be a snoozefest low, frustration on the uppers.

like Tony Soprano says,
while your working over the safe,
"i think were getting close".

hilton, i know i cant stop you from rallying your classmates to jump the bully after schools out, but for all of you who keep piling on, you apparently do not understand just how important designed feeds may be to your games.

Quoted from Whysnow:

can we get this dude thread booted for broken record status if enough people report?

galaxyquest05.gif

#17297 9 months ago
Quoted from royneblom:

Hi All
This is the promised pictures of the first shipping Alien games coming to Sweden.
After a very long waiting it was like 2 year since this order was made and paid ,the games now finaly are in our warehouse ( well one in my game room )
Enjoy the pictures

Great to hear and thanks for the pics. Would love to see a video and hear your impressions if you have the chance.

#17298 9 months ago

great to see the pics and happy to hear someone has received some of the new stock. Congrats! Keep them coming.

#17299 9 months ago
Quoted from royneblom:

Hi All
Enjoy the pictures

THIS is what we need to see!!!....Hopefully, the container and other FEDEX units stated start showing this week. It’s really all that matters at this point....

#17300 9 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Hilton, quit clowning around trying to make it sound like you know what im thinking. there are probably a good dozen points you'll have to address. and then you'll have to answer to how/why you missed all of them.
only 1 mulitball? would you like to keep guessing? care to check your audits and tell everyone which ones arent getting started?
also note, the version of code running is of little consequence.
the design issue is this: "LACK OF QUALITY FEEDS TO BOTH UPPER FLIPPERS". not just the upper right. but the upper left as well. the existing feeds are undeniably limited and of dubious quality.
dont think there are multiple ramifications/consequences brought on by the lack of quality feeds to the upper flippers. im sure ferret [primarily thru analyzing audit results], has an excellent grasp of where deficiencies lie. Hilton, you on the other hand, came in here claiming you reviewed your machines audits, and found NOTHING wrong or out of balance.
instead you kept posting that shot chart showing 6-7 shots off each upper flipper, "saying look at all the shots, what a great game." what you weren't looking at how they were being fed. even after 6 months of gameplay it never dawned on you just how few quality opportunities you were getting off the upper flippers? anyone who takes the time and reviews all the gameplay video may see that this game plays like a two flipper game, but has four flippers. there is no doubt that people who play this game will eventually realize, 1) that they dont get a fair opportunity to attempt those 6-7 upper flipper shots because their ability to feed them sucks, and 2) that the resulting lack of attempts at key upper flipper shots definitely limits their ability to progress thru/attain several of the games objectives.
my post of the mockup was so people might see what was missing from the current machine - and that was feeds to the upper flippers. it was not my intention to open discussion about redesigning the game, because it is not the actual issue here. it was in the appendix, an illustrative example of a design that would increase quality feeds to both upper flippers. 5 UL, and 3 UR versus the 3 UL [2 being dubious] and 1 UR we have today. and, if that costs you a CB combo shot to the HSR, then its more than a fair trade.
what may not be apparent in that photo is that the left ramp [which can be made from both flippers] would now also feed the UL3 flipper [in green]. the player would have the option to flip UL3 or let the ball pass down the left inlane as it already does. while you may not realize it, this difference is HUGE when it comes to the number of times UL3 is feed. and you know what? it was part of the original Nordman design, but REMOVED. in fact, as already pointed out by another poster, feeds to UL4 were also removed from Nordmans concept. anyone beginning to see how this is starting to come together?
dont get sidetracked on a redesign. the issue here is pointing out the games shortcomings, understanding they will not change, and that we are stuck with a game that has AWFUL UPPER flipper play in almost every respect. haven't even touched on geometry issues yet and whether they can/have been be corrected.
LOWER flipper play - orbits tougher than others but, looks like you can make every shot A-L-L D-A-Y L-O-N-G. forgiving in width, wide open in access. its no wonder advocates talk about shooting combo after combo. IMHO going to be a snoozefest low, frustration on the uppers.
like Tony Soprano says,
while your working over the safe,
"i think were getting close".
hilton, i know i cant stop you from rallying your classmates to jump the bully after schools out, but for all of you who keep piling on, you apparently do not understand just how important designed feeds may be to your games.

Dude you are such a drag. You ramble on and on and on and on.
I don't give a rats behind about your knowledge of this game. You've proved your point. Now bounce to another thread. There are people that are trying to enjoy the possibility of receiving a new game and you're ruining it IMHO. This isn't a debate. Find another thread to poor cold water all over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 159.00
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.95
Various Novelties
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 5.00
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 35.00
Electronics
Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
£ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 22740 posts in this topic. You are on page 346 of 455.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside