• 25,770 posts
  • 1,010 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Maurice
  • Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,048 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

585009D5-D67F-44B4-B001-2ED74F02C911 (resized).jpeg
DSCN7289 (resized).JPG
DSCN7288 (resized).JPG
E9A3F438-43B6-4EE9-B7B9-059640E61E98 (resized).jpeg
E1261283-0CCC-4A02-A73D-6474FCAEB78F (resized).jpeg
oprah alien give a way (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 5 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 4 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 3 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 2 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs (resized).jpg
yx2dpyyljmoowqz60q9i (resized).jpg
Connector (resized).JPG
c679a9e13b3dcfe925b2b43c9193f017ecf95e86 (resized).jpg
4150658_0 (resized).jpg
C97DC8BA-5D2E-4817-AB8C-373D505C5068 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25770 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 516.
#12751 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My impression is at least 20 built and sounds like another 10 are shipping to cointaker ? this week?

From what I gather, only the first 2? (maybe 5) were prototypes) Starting with the TPF ones they appears to have produciton boards and production flipper inserts. Froim what I know, there is an updated Xeno mech board that needs to be installed but those are coming.
I think you can consider anything prior to #10 a sample/pre-produciton pf. Anything after #10 appears to be full production with likely a few minor tweaks that are easy to do for an owner.
I personally am very glad they have done this method of trickling out in smaller batches and making adjustments as they go based on feedback and audits. It should help to really bullet proof the game for those future owners (ones that also are not as adept and making some to the modifications and giving the feedback)

It's April 2017. They shouldn't need small batches for owners to beta test. What on earth have they been doing over the past couple years?

#12752 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My impression is at least 20 built and sounds like another 10 are shipping to cointaker ? this week?

From what I gather, only the first 2? (maybe 5) were prototypes) Starting with the TPF ones they appears to have produciton boards and production flipper inserts. Froim what I know, there is an updated Xeno mech board that needs to be installed but those are coming. (all based on feedback and some redesign/coding changes to how the mech operates and is coded. Some great changes to make it more robust and function reliably. In short, not relying on opto to sense and ability to adjust over time to be correct action; think thing flipper auto adjust style)
I think you can consider anything prior to #10 a sample/pre-produciton pf. Anything after #10 appears to be full production with likely a few minor tweaks that are easy to do for an owner.
I personally am very glad they have done this method of trickling out in smaller batches and making adjustments as they go based on feedback and audits. It should help to really bullet proof the game for those future owners (ones that also are not as adept and making some to the modifications and giving the feedback)

I'm glad any manufacturer prioritizes a few if not most of the first runs to go on location.
JJP has been good with Hobbit and Dialed in and I'm glad to see Alien on location and look forward to see many more on location.

#12753 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's April 2017. They shouldn't need small batches for owners to beta test. What on earth have they been doing over the past couple years?

And this is my biggest concern about Heighway. We still have not seen a single game with all production parts in them. Every manufacturer is having some issues with early run games and reacting accordingly. Using customers as quasi-QA/beta testers is going too far for me. Updated Xeno mech boards? WTF! That doesn't even touch on LE art, fiber optic ramps, etc, etc.

I'm fully behind Heighway and the games they're creating. I want Alien and a FT kit. But there are serious red flags here. Glad I'm on the sidelines until things shake out.

#12754 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What on earth have they been doing over the past couple years?

from the looks of the videos, it appears that they are building up to do lots of inhouse parts production and have the ability to make games at the eventual pace they want/plan for? just my personal guess. I am happy for them that they are building and shipping games (even at a calculated and slower pace)

Quoted from Cheeks:

But there are serious red flags here.

I guess I dont look at the need to swap out a single small board on a few pre-production units as a red flag.

If anything I look at it as a positive that they are making changes and doing so at this stage.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Using customers as quasi-QA/beta testers is going too far for me.

I cant speak for others, but I knew exactly what I was getting when we negotiated to get game #2 built. I can also say that the service, reaction to feedback, and adjustments to make improvements has been exceptional. I have to assume everyone else buying an early run game was also not only knowing but excited to get one and more than happy to help out.

#12755 2 years ago

1FREAK (resized).png

#12756 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They made a point of showing the first out the door and then a few thereafter headed to US I think. These were not TPF games. Sounds like a few in Europe as well. Overall, not a lot but it is starting and there have been, factually speaking, more than just TPF games. Search heighwaypinball posts in this thread and check their last couple pages. You don't have to read 12k posts...use the search.

My apologies. I didn't realize you could search on just one person's posts in this thread, had never needed to do that before. Read back a few months, yes looks like games are trickling out. Slowly.

#12757 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

no issue.
I was told they will have Aliens kits for Full Throttle owners. I assume this means they will include the new zotac PC for easy conversion.
I would guess at the volume they are purchasing this PC that it will be a nominal cost and built in to the kit cost.

Uggg.... this is the first time I saw they were using ZOTAC. Bad choice from my experience. I've had several ZOTAC MB's. I'm using one right now. I've put them in pinball simulators as well. Yes they are cheap. I won't buy another. I have no problem if the ZOTAC MB can be changed out when it fails, but if there is any hardware lock-in.... Let's just say everyone should take a look at the part number and buy themselves a spare or two.

#12758 2 years ago

did a fair bit of research when tech support told me that's what they were using. They seem as solid as any brand out there from what I read--lots of positive reviews actually. What specifically are you talking about?

Also, full disclosure, your posts are usually overwhelming negative in this thread so I am suspect of your intentions. No offense!!!

#12759 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

did a fair bit of research when tech support told me that's what they were using. They seem as solid as any brand out there from what I read--lots of positive reviews actually. What specifically are you talking about?
Also, full disclosure, your posts are usually overwhelming negative in this thread so I am suspect of your intentions. No offense!!!

I also researched the exact model in our Aliens and reviews were acrossed the board good.

#12760 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Starting with the TPF ones they appears to have produciton boards and production flipper inserts. From what I know, there is an updated Xeno mech board that needs to be installed but those are coming.

I can confirm the above.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess I dont look at the need to swap out a single small board on a few pre-production units as a red flag. If anything I look at it as a positive that they are making changes and doing so at this stage.

IMHO, it depends on how you see the glass - half empty, or half full. Yes, it seems these issues should have been resolved by now. On the other hand, I am happy that Heighway are working to get the main toy in this game 'punched up' and working 100%.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I cant speak for others, but I knew exactly what I was getting when we negotiated to get game #2 built. I can also say that the service, reaction to feedback, and adjustments to make improvements has been exceptional. I have to assume everyone else buying an early run game was also not only knowing but excited to get one and more than happy to help out.

Yep, exactly. I knew what I was getting as Andrew and I talked about everything in person before I took the game home. I knew I'd need to make some adjustments/tweaks, and knew I'd be waiting on a new board for the Xeno to function 100%. I will echo Hilton's statement regarding service/support and reaction to feedback. Helmut (Service manager) is quick to answer emails and is willing to video skype if needed (I haven't had to). I was also contacted by David (sounds) and Joe (code). They were interested in my feedback, and also wanted to get the audits from TPF,and subsequently after a few hundred HUO games (post tweaks). From my conversations with both of them, a code update seems near, and additional (perhaps larger) code updates are also in the works. For me, being able to contribute even in a small way to the continued development/improvment of the game is pretty exciting.

#12761 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

And this is my biggest concern about Heighway. We still have not seen a single game with all production parts in them. Every manufacturer is having some issues with early run games and reacting accordingly. Using customers as quasi-QA/beta testers is going too far for me. Updated Xeno mech boards? WTF! That doesn't even touch on LE art, fiber optic ramps, etc, etc.
I'm fully behind Heighway and the games they're creating. I want Alien and a FT kit. But there are serious red flags here. Glad I'm on the sidelines until things shake out.

If you have no skin in the game (like made a payment to Heighway) then it's not you place to complain, or second guess or stir the pot. Plenty of us have put money down and are waiting patiently for our games to arrive. Your concerns are unfounded and serve no purpose other than trying to cause concern or angst for those of us waiting to take delivery.

#12762 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

If you have no skin in the game (like made a payment to Heighway) then it's not you place to complain, or second guess or stir the pot. Plenty of us have put money down and are waiting patiently for our games to arrive. Your concerns are unfounded and serve no purpose other than trying to cause concern or angst for those of us waiting to take delivery.

I don't know about patiently

I'm sure others paid in full long before me, but it's makes nervous as hell to put down that kind of cash and not have a firm date or even idea of when it'll arrive.

Everything I've seen and read about Heighway makes them look like a great company. But I do feel as having paid in full I'm owed some updates or timeline. Even if I have to sign a NDA, that's fine I just want to know when my game will arrive and what's holding it up.

#12763 2 years ago

My game took an interesting journey home from TPF as it stopped for a two week location stay in Springfield Missouri. While there the game was down for a few days as a result of an issue with an LED strip causing a short. Annoying that the game was down especially with me not there to look at it myself, but with help from both Helmut and Andrew troubleshooting the game along with the help of my friends who run the location they were eventually able to track down the problem and resolve it. While working on this issue Andrew was up personally answering text messages until 2 AM his local time to get the situation fixed, to me that is pretty damn impressive customer service.

Since I was finally able to bring the game back to my house I have had one stuck ball and everything else has been minor issues like switches not always registering (unfortunately when I picked the game up in Missouri I left the keys so I haven't been able to get into the game and adjust anything, they should be arriving today though). I'd say I put probably about 100 games on it this weekend alone and I have been very impressed and happy with it. Modes can be tough, but not impossible, multiballs are varied but don't dominate the game, and most importantly to me is its simply fun. I streamed the game and it is posted to youtube, but if anyone has questions about it I'm willing to try to help answer them as best as possible from what I have at home.

#12764 2 years ago

I watched your first stream, that one game you had (200m i think) was great, it was cool to see all the modes and effects/etc.

#12765 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I've pre-ordered (paid in full) at least half a dozen machines over the years. I have concerns and reasons why I won't pre-order from Heighway right now, but it's not my place to articulate that? I've never been a sky is falling person on any game, I've been fully supportive of Full Throttle, and have made clear my intentions to eventually buy both Alien and Full Throttle. If your comment was directed toward one of the countless yahoos on this site that want to rip down everything for the sake of it, that would be one thing. But I've been pretty Pro AND Con about things and feel completely justified expressing an objective opinion about concerns. Putting down money is not a prerequisite to having a legit opinion.

#12766 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I watched your first stream, that one game you had (200m i think) was great, it was cool to see all the modes and effects/etc.

Thanks, I'm getting the hang of it. I do like that its possible to have those games but they certainly aren't occurring every time. I can see all tournament players making sure they shoot each ramp 4 times before starting all the modes to constantly double scoring as they are relatively easy shots and have safe returns. Right now I'm still trying to just see all of the game before I worry about maximizing score.

#12767 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Thanks, I'm getting the hang of it. I do like that its possible to have those games but they certainly aren't occurring every time. I can see all tournament players making sure they shoot each ramp 4 times before starting all the modes to constantly double scoring as they are relatively easy shots and have safe returns. Right now I'm still trying to just see all of the game before I worry about maximizing score.

Yeah, that double scoring was sweet. SO that's what was it was shooting the ramps 4x/each? Missed that part I guess.

#12768 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Yeah, that double scoring was sweet. SO that's what was it was shooting the ramps 4x/each? Missed that part I guess.

Yes left ramp spells drop, 1 letter for each shot, right ramp spells ship, again 1 letter for each shot, when both are spelled I think it is 20 seconds or so of double scoring. It can also be a mystery award from the muthur saucer on the far left, and it can be one of the weapon "power-ups" (not really sure what to call those).

#12769 2 years ago

Thanks for the video! That was the first time I've seen the Self Destruct mode. I'm sure it's not fully coded yet, but I thought the insert/GI lightshow to simulate the yellow rotating beacons was a pretty cool effect. I can only imagine how cool that mode will look with the actual beacon toppers in a dark room

I just love what I'm seeing so far. The gameplay & ruleset is already solid, and the total package will only get better as the lighting, sound & presentation improves with further code updates. Looking forward to seeing what presentation they come up with for the Alien tongue grab & strobe lighting effect And the how the fibre optic lighting is integrated!

Keep up the good work Andrew

#12770 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks for the video! That was the first time I've seen the Self Destruct mode. I'm sure it's not fully coded yet, but I thought the insert/GI lightshow to simulate the yellow rotating beacons was a pretty cool effect. I can only imagine how cool that mode will look with the actual beacon toppers in a dark room
I just love what I'm seeing so far. The gameplay & ruleset is already solid, and the total package will only get better as the lighting, sound & presentation improves with further code updates. Looking forward to seeing what presentation they come up with for the Alien tongue grab & strobe lighting effect And the how the fibre optic lighting is integrated!
Keep up the good work Andrew

Didn't even notice it myself while playing, I will have to go back and check it out.

EDIT: Just went and saw what you were talking about, looked very cool, funny what you don't notice when trying to just hit the balls.

#12771 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

At what time in the video does that happen please?

#12772 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

At what time in the video does that happen please?

Should be linked right as the mode is starting in that video.

#12773 2 years ago

Great, thanks Tommy.

#12774 2 years ago

I like it.

#12775 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

» YouTube video

Super awesome..cant wait to see topper beacons interact with this!
I just want my machine by xmas..

#12776 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm talking about the boot and shutdown issues that appear seemingly randomly. I'm talking about random lockouts when there is hardly anything running. I chose the ZOTAC for a small run commercial sub-assemblies and regretted the choice.

But let me blow some sunshine up your asses. Zotac is a great value. It's the cheapest AND the best. THERE IS NO BETTER! I really don't have a dog in the hunt, but I look forward to alien warranty expiration for the owners in my area.

And for anyone else who has experience with hardware.. Keep your opinion to yourself, the internet knows much better and never lies.

As far as my intentions are concerned, I've been misidentified by the cheerleaders in J-Pop, SKIT-B and DP threads. Shall I provide the links? Sure.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tq&tu=SadSack

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion?tq&tu=SadSack

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club?tq&tu=SadSack

I think I've been very realistic in a sea of unknowns on this site. Just because you may have been ripped off, that doesn't earn you the right to demand cognitive dissonance from me.

I congratulate everyone involved in Alien because it looks like it's going to cross the finish line.

#12777 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

» YouTube video

Well that's f'n awesome! Alien genuinely has some of the best lighting effects in a pin.

#12778 2 years ago

I have a chance to get a standard model Alien on the next CoinTaker shipment as a spot has opened up. Would you guys say wait or go ahead and get the game? I assume, should probably confirm with Heighway, that no more production changes are planned if games are going to a distributor? Still, an LE does sound nice, damn it I can't decide, lol.

#12779 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I have a chance to get a standard model Alien on the next CoinTaker shipment as a spots opened up. Would you guys say wait or go ahead and get the game? I assume, should probably confirm with Heighway, that no more production changes are planned if games are going to a distributor? Still, an LE does sound nice, damn it I can't decide, lol.

If it's a finalised production model with all the final production parts - light and xeno boards I say go for it Panzer! Doesn't a SE with all the extras work out a little cheaper in the US compared to an LE?

#12780 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If it's a finalised production model with all the final production parts - light and xeno boards I say go for it Panzer! Doesn't a SE with all the extras work out a little cheaper in the US compared to an LE?

It would certainly be a bit cheaper but the difference in price isn't terrible. I think the LE would be about $900-$1100 more for me versus a standard.

#12781 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the LE would be about $900-$1100 more for me versus a standard.

In that case what are you waiting for? That's a good about towards a Heighway kit (game #3 maybe? ) get it ordered

#12782 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

In that case what are you waiting for? That's a good about towards a Heighway kit (game #3 maybe? ) get it ordered

Haha, yeah that is true! I think the LE is going to be awesome for Alien. Lots of extra being offered for a reasonable price and with 500 being made it seems more limited compared to other LE titles out there.

#12783 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Haha, yeah that is true! I think the LE is going to be awesome for Alien. Lots of extra being offered for a reasonable price and with 500 being made it seems more limited compared to other LE titles out there.

True it all depends how patient you are, I literally have no patience so when I want something if I can get it now I will, the only thing that would stop me in your position is the wait on the LE art, it could be awesome but other than that what extras are there on the LE (other than the usual numbered plaques & certificates) that you can't add to a SE - that along with the kit model is the biggest selling point of Heighway imo everything is accessible through upgrades.

#12784 2 years ago

I honestly feel bad for the LE buyers. The early adopters. April 17, 2017 and they still don't even know what their game looks like or when it may ship. I commend your patience. I don't think I would hold up. How many have switched to a standard?

#12785 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

It's all detailed a few pages back. It's $280 difference if you put the same options on both, and that $280 gets you the artwork, gloss black cabinet, different color legs, and the goody bag.

#12786 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I honestly feel bad for the LE buyers. The early adopters. April 17, 2017 and they still don't even know what their game looks like or when it may ship. I commend your patience. I don't think I would hold up. How many have switched to a standard?

I'm still hanging onto the LE dream from day one! #44. I've had plenty of history with patience and pinball.

I've got plenty of other pins to keep me busy in the meantime. And there are plenty of other tempting pins coming out so hopefully the LE hits real soon.

#12787 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've had plenty of history with patience and pinball.

Hang in there Ice, you won't be disappointed when this one shows up.

IMG_1934 (resized).JPG

#12788 2 years ago

Watched Alien and Aliens last night back to back! Loved seeing just where/how they came up with some of the modes and multiballs.

#12789 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Hang in there Ice, you won't be disappointed when this one shows up.

Ohhh baby! Whatta beauty

#12790 2 years ago

Having had the chance to put in about 20+ games on the Alien at the UK 8bitflip event over the Easter weekend, here are my thoughts on the machine.

Pros:

The artwork on the playfield is great, sets the mood and tone for the theme very well.

The music and sound are also great with lots of well placed call outs from the films

Heighway has nailed the theme overall, great use of the licence and also the toys on the playfield are all nicely detailed (face huggers on slings, pop bumper eggs and the Xeno head), they don't look like cheap Poundland toys

The shot layout is so unique compared to the standards of more modern games. Not just the shots up the playfield but across too with very good use of both upper flippers as both have a number of shots each. Also the outlane setup felt very different and posed their own challenges. I could see bits of Williams Indiana Jones (right outlane nudging), Wheel of Fortune (left outlane nudging and U shape return right ramp), Metallica (Xeno head targets and magnet infront of it), Xmen (the upper right flipper shots) and Transformers (far left scoop to left orbit to left ramp area)

The lighting was so good and great GI effects in particular all over the playfield

The ruleset (although confusing, see below) seemed well advanced for a recent release, not like some newer Sterns that are bare bones on release

Cons:

My biggest issue so far is that the ruleset not being very good at giving the player feedback, at times you felt a bit lost in what you are supposed to be doing both during modes, multiball and single ball play. The display does help show things but so often it is showing clips and animations that the info is not there. For example when you start a mode the display tells you what to shoot but then if the shot needed then changes, it will only say so after the video clip has finished and by that point you're often not in a position to be able to read it. The insert colouring could be made better to help with what you are to shoot too. Finally its not obvious either say for Ambush multiball how many more Xeno hits are needed. It works the same way as Sparky multiball in Metallica but at least that has 3 progression inserts by the shot, here there is no clear indication of how close you are to starting it. Obviously continued work on the code can help make all this better

I never heard the use of 'Game over man, game over' at any point. Such an obvious one to use, surely this will be added in a later code release

The left ramp on the odd occasion has a wierd ball spin causing the ball when dropping from the ramp to go upwards toward the left outlane, kind of how some Hobbit machines are with the right wireform ramp exit. Maybe the ramp exit point needs lowering slightly.

The Xeno tongue grabbing the ball, whilst it looks great is a bit inconsistant. When it works it works well but it all seems to depend if the magnet grabs the ball correctly. Again on Metallica its rare that a shot to start Sparky multiball will not stop on the magnet as the targets infront of it have a small funneled area to contain where the ball goes, on Alien there is nothing bar the 2 large standups so the ball can go anywhere after hitting them. I've seen the tongue go to grab the ball while the ball goes toward the upper right flipper, if the tongue was at ball level then hit by a fast moving ball I can see it getting damaged very quickly.

One very minor issue, in Queens nest mode it tells you to shoot the pops yet shots to the orbits don't make use of the up post to drop the ball into the pops, seems very odd

Overall I was very impressed and the early signs are excellent. It has such a unique layout with some fun and tight shots, plenty of modes, multiballs and well designed toys. It just needs some code polish and a couple of mechanical adjustments. If Heighway can get them built in good time then they will have a winner on their hands.

#12791 2 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

if the tongue was at ball level then hit by a fast moving ball I can see it getting damaged very quickly.

tounge is heavy duty geared steel piece. I think the ball would get hurt first?

Quoted from windoesnot:

One very minor issue, in Queens nest mode it tells you to shoot the pops yet shots to the orbits don't make use of the up post to drop the ball into the pops, seems very odd

tell them to adjust their orbit proximity switches in test mode. Likely just need to be pushed up towards the pf a bit to register better. This switch is what tells the diverter to trigger and put ball into pops.

#12792 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

It's all detailed a few pages back. It's $280 difference if you put the same options on both, and that $280 gets you the artwork, gloss black cabinet, different color legs, and the goody bag.

Plus the Limited Edition Number Plate with LE Status

#12793 2 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

My biggest issue so far is that the ruleset not being very good at giving the player feedback, at times you felt a bit lost in what you are supposed to be doing both during modes, multiball and single ball play. The display does help show things but so often it is showing clips and animations that the info is not there. For example when you start a mode the display tells you what to shoot but then if the shot needed then changes, it will only say so after the video clip has finished and by that point you're often not in a position to be able to read it. The insert colouring could be made better to help with what you are to shoot too. Finally its not obvious either say for Ambush multiball how many more Xeno hits are needed. It works the same way as Sparky multiball in Metallica but at least that has 3 progression inserts by the shot, here there is no clear indication of how close you are to starting it. Obviously continued work on the code can help make all this better

This is disappointing. There are now 3 LCD screens so there's no excuse for not giving the proper information.

This is just another reason why I wish they would make the backbox LCD a standard feature so they could design to that spec. I feel like the movie clips could go on the backbox LCD and then use the playfield screen as more of a HUD for constant realtime status. Information could be formatted differently and sized up to make it easy to read on the fly. Things could be so much more efficient if they created uses and information for each specific screen separately rather than creating something that has to work in the backbox and then is just scaled down for the playfield.

#12794 2 years ago

I think the displays have done a good job of informing on what shots to hit. The only mode that I have struggled with is Find Jonesy but that wasn't because of the display, the display makes it clear to shoot the orange insert, the problem is the orange insert is only lit very briefly and then disappears. I thought this was maybe a code issue but it was explained to me that it is supposed to simulate the cat hiding in the shadows and darting about so the orange lights and then fades. The mode is best played by cradling up and waiting for the orange shot to be lit and then hitting it, and it is not a good mode to stack a multiball with...as I was advised by Heighway staff.

On my machine I have had no problems with my up-post directing the balls into the pops for Queens Nest, but getting actions out of the pops has been my issue, I haven't had the chance yet to go in and adjust the switches on those but I will as soon as my keys arrive. I do suggest attempting to control the ball coming out of the scoop so you can take a second to read the display, and then locate the inserts for the shots you want/need to hit for the modes, it is really clear compared to a lot of other newer games like WoZ and GB (both games I also enjoy, but can be difficult for new people to figure out)....my girlfriend who is very new to pinball was able to figure out Alien much easier than the other two games according to her.

#12795 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is disappointing. There are now 3 LCD screens so there's no excuse for not giving the proper information.
This is just another reason why I wish they would make the backbox LCD a standard feature so they could design to that spec. I feel like the movie clips could go on the backbox LCD and then use the playfield screen as more of a HUD for constant realtime status. Information could be formatted differently and sized up to make it easy to read on the fly. Things could be so much more efficient if they created uses and information for each specific screen separately rather than creating something that has to work in the backbox and then is just scaled down for the playfield.

the 3rd mini LCD was added late in development. I expect it will be used in a completely different and better way in future code updates (the code team has specifically already said that).

You need to also keep in mind that it takes a few games to train yourself where to look on any screen and to know what to shoot for. Similar to DI, it could use a few more and better cues, but after 10-15 games you know the modes pretty well and then the lights cue you in on what to shoot for.

I agree that it needs some better cues and quicker feedback as a player learns, but the info is mostly there already (you just have to learn where to look for it)

#12796 2 years ago

I am very receptive to any specific suggestions on communicating status/instructions to the player. If you feel that in mode/multiball X you didn't understand Y, please tell me exactly that and I'll see what I can do. Find Jonesy is a little bit of an exception, we were intentionally going for a "I'm looking for that cat, where the heck is he?!... oh, THERE!" vibe, since in the film he was darting around the shadows (because cat ). The latest code hopefully makes it a little easier (while maintaining that vibe) by decluttering combo arrows when the cat's on the move, and also making him meow when he moves so you get an audible cue too.

Latest code also improves status about Xeno hits until Ambush: the GI around the Xeno now flashes brighter and faster as you get closer to Ambush, and when not in a mode, the Dashboard status line now specifically says "4 Xeno hits for Ambush" or whatever.

As for "Game Over Man"... it's currently one of the tilt quotes. There will be more Game Over A/V sequences in the future besides Bishop's current one; I'd be willing to bet that Game Over Man will get more use there.

#12797 2 years ago

when can I get the next code update Joe?

#12798 2 years ago

Been noticing a ton of Alien stuff lately. SF Bart just got scarier.
Can't wait to see this game at Pin a Go Go! IMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPG

#12799 2 years ago

Code updates are sent out by Heighway support, not me. I kinda think they have all hands on deck getting Xeno issues resolved and getting machines shipping, so I can't speak to code rollout schedule.

#12800 2 years ago

As a supplement to my earlier note: I don't intend to have every_ game rule spelled out to the player ... partly because that could be confusing by inundating the player with too much information, and partly because it is (IMHO) fun to have secret tricks and bonuses in the game that you can discover over time. There are a decent number of those in the code.

But certainly the primary rules for modes and multiballs are not meant to be secretive or confusing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 50.00
10,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Helsinki
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 25770 posts in this topic. You are on page 256 of 516.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside