• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 244 of 493.
#12151 2 years ago

Oh, what's the matter? You all butt hurt now?

#12152 2 years ago

Now now. No need to get all butthurt.

2313de0ff614726fc39eced31105dd5b57087188 (resized).jpg

#12153 2 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I don't plan to Dick face!

Ummm......I don't plan to dick face either???

#12154 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Ummm......I don't plan to dick face either???

A fellow Yooper!
I tried to attach it to a quote but it didn't take and I didn't notice.

#12155 2 years ago

Not quite a Yooper (only if you remove the "Lake")....but I am up there often enough with work that I have a Mackinac Bridge "MacPass".

#12156 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Not quite a Yooper (only if you remove the "Lake")....but I am up there often enough with work that I have a Mackinac Bridge "MacPass".

Wish I had one. Moved down state a few years ago.
Cheers!

#12157 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Skipping the monitor is an option if you prefer to save some money, but personally, I want my pinball machines to look and feel the same as the ones on location. That's why I want a coin door even though I don't "need" it. Keep in mind this is a pinball machine. Its expensive, so $550 for a full color HD "DMD replacement" is fine by me. .
As a side note:
From what I've seen so far, (& heard from people who have seen the display in person) the Alien backbox display looks amazing.

You guys are going to talk me into it!

#12158 2 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

You guys are going to talk me into it!

I wasn't going to get the backbox screen. I play "mostly" on my own and the screen in the playfield is all I will ever really look at.

That being said all the talk of "future proofing" your one cabinet and being able to essentially spread the cost of that one screen against potentially multiple games (kits) made a lot of sense......so I added it.

#12159 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I wasn't going to get the backbox screen. I play "mostly" on my own and the screen in the playfield is all I will ever really look at.
That being said all the talk of "future proofing" your one cabinet and being able to essentially spread the cost of that one screen against potentially multiple games (kits) made a lot of sense......so I added it.

Agreed. That is exactly why I added the monitor to my backbox after I so adamantly stated the opposite. Being prepared is never a bad thing.

#12160 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Agreed. That is exactly why I added the monitor to my backbox after I so adamantly stated the opposite. Being prepared is never a bad thing.

It's possible in a future game that the backbox may display additional details that aren't on the other screen.

#12161 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It's possible in a future game that the backbox may display additional details that aren't on the other screen.

I thought the new processor could only handle 2 separate feeds?

#12162 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

I thought the new processor could only handle 2 separate feeds?

No, it can handle 3 separate HD outputs. That was one of the key objectives of the CPU upgrade... even though Alien only provides 2 distinct outputs, we wanted to ensure that future games could potentially move up to 3 distinct outputs without having to go through the CPU upgrade hassle again.

#12163 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is a terrible comparison because JPOP screwed the pooch on SWEP1.

Nobody could possibly have given their best work on SWEP1 given how restrictive the licensors were in curtailing communication even between different departments in order to curtail any movie information from getting out.

#12164 2 years ago

It's a shame I can't push a button and the playfield rotates end to end and there's two games in one.

#12165 2 years ago

Just two more days 'till we get to play Alien at TPF!!

#12166 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Nobody could possibly have given their best work on SWEP1 given how restrictive the licensors were in curtailing communication even between different departments in order to curtail any movie information from getting out.

Have you ever heard the audio from when George Gomez spoke about JPop working SWEP1? George was pretty much disgusted by what Jpop did with the video content in the game and that was all on JPop. What Jpop did was not the vision that Gomez and Lawlor had for Pin2000.

From the JPop failure thread:

Quoted from gambit3113:

He obviously never listened to the Topcast episode with George Gomez. Gomez made it very clear that he blamed John for effing up SW1 and not using the Pinball2000 platform competently. There was no ambiguity to his feelings toward JPOP. George wasn't signing off on bringing him into the Stern fold.

Quoted from PinB:

For those that haven't heard this, here's a link to the Gomez Topcast episode:
http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=40
Skip to the 1:53:20 mark to hear Gomez go off on JPOP & SWEP1.

#12167 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

No, it can handle 3 separate HD outputs. That was one of the key objectives of the CPU upgrade... even though Alien only provides 2 distinct outputs, we wanted to ensure that future games could potentially move up to 3 distinct outputs without having to go through the CPU upgrade hassle again.

Just another reason to futureproof your cabinet & add the 27" backbox LCD. That's awesome. I have a feeling that it will come standard on Game 3 and after. That way they can program their games accordingly if the screens are standardized, and they also won't need to create so many different translights.

There's a lot of potential there for different outputs on the big backbox & the playfield screen.

#12168 2 years ago

Can't wait for Sanders interview, or any Alien news.

#12169 2 years ago

I came across this photo in another thread, but didn't see it posted here so thought I'd share. It's impressive how many shots are in this game.

Alien (resized).jpg

#12170 2 years ago

To add to the current derail...

16864867_642862362587316_8188786105090022886_n (resized).jpg

#12171 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I came across this photo in another thread, but didn't see it posted here so thought I'd share. It's impressive how many shots are in this game.

The upper left flipper can't hit the drop targets? It looks like it should be able to.

#12172 2 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

The upper left flipper can't hit the drop targets? It looks like it should be able to.

Yes, it can.

#12173 2 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

yeah, there are actually LOTS of other shots I left out of that drawing. I made it in 2 minutes to demonstrate that Aliens is a 3-way fan layout. People were discussing other popular games and I used it to illustrate that Aliens if multiple fans laid on top of each other.

I can draw a new one with ALL the shots and the many backhands I left out.

#12175 2 years ago

Seeing as it's possible to shoot the ball off a bottom flipper in any game and hit the bottom post of the other sling.... those targets should be relatively easy from that upper flipper.

#12176 2 years ago

yeah, tough shot but the geometry is no problem at all.

#12177 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, there are actually LOTS of other shots I left out of that drawing. I made it in 2 minutes to demonstrate that Aliens is a 3-way fan layout. People were discussing other popular games and I used it to illustrate that Aliens if multiple fans laid on top of each other.
I can draw a new one with ALL the shots and the many backhands I left out.

I'm fond of sick back handable shots in games. That to me makes ooh and ahh shots.

#12178 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'm fond of sick back handable shots in games. That to me makes ooh and ahh shots.

Yes I get so mad when I can't backhand cetain shots. Lotr and Totan come to mind. The way the ramps twirl makes it almost impossible.

#12179 2 years ago

Yes, all three APC drop targets are shootable from the UL flipper... though it's not necessarily a good idea, could cause some wicked side-to-side motion. Personally I'd rather let the ball fall from the saucer without flipping (should roll nicely into the left inlane) and shoot the drops from the LL flipper.

BTW, a couple weeks ago I reduced the power on the saucer kickout... makes the ball come out a little slower and thus makes UL flipper shots a bit easier. IMHO nicer for the difficult Chestburster and Vent 2 shots.

#12180 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yes, all three APC drop targets are shootable from the UL flipper... though it's not necessarily a good idea, could cause some wicked side-to-side motion. Personally I'd rather let the ball fall from the saucer without flipping (should roll nicely into the left inlane) and shoot the drops from the LL flipper.
BTW, a couple weeks ago I reduced the power on the saucer kickout... makes the ball come out a little slower and thus makes UL flipper shots a bit easier. IMHO nicer for the difficult Chestburster and Vent 2 shots.

Love the tiny details and insights you give us regarding how and why you are tweaking certain things

#12181 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Can you slide the playfields under the game from the front of the cabinet? Or only from sides?

whysnow Not sure if you saw my question, but I was wondering if the wider sidewalls of the cabinet are enough to give the playfield clearance to slide under the cabinet from the front, between the legs.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#12182 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

whysnow Not sure if you saw my question, but I was wondering if the wider sidewalls of the cabinet are enough to give the playfield clearance to slide under the cabinet from the front, between the legs.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

sorry missed this.

I can measure next time I get a chance. I appears it will fit fine, but I have not tried it myself yet (no reason since we dont have a kit yet)

#12183 2 years ago

What is the cost of a wooden cabinet, a backbox with LCD and metal legs? Is that really 40% of $6450 or $2580? Will someone else sell a compatible shell for less?

So many times here I read about people who are too lazy or busy to go down to their basement to flip a power switch, that I wonder about how much of a deterrent switching out a whole playfield will be?

I've even heard rumors of a man who was so lazy he hacked a 100 disc CD changer to remotely change his XBOX360 games for him without leaving the couch.

#12184 2 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

I've even heard rumors of a man who was so lazy he hacked a 100 disc CD changer to remotely change his XBOX360 games for him without leaving the couch.

If true, this would be completely awesome.

#12185 2 years ago

What is the cost of a wooden cabinet, a backbox with LCD and metal legs? Is that really 40% of $6450 or $2580? Will someone else sell a compatible shell for less?

the computer and electronics would be on that list as well

#12186 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

the computer and electronics would be on that list as well

Yeah my guess is that the non kit portion of the game makes up closer to 60% of the total cost and not the other way around.

#12187 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

wider sidewalls of the cabinet are enough to give the playfield clearance to slide under the cabinet from the front, between the legs.

Looks like playfield is 23" and the legs are 25" but taper in obviously so depends on the "case" they come up with I think.

#12188 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Looks like playfield is 23" and the legs are 25" but taper in obviously so depends on the "case" they come up with I think.

Oh they case! I forgot all about that too. We built a "trunk" and used 1/4" plywood for the sides and thicker edges and corners. The goal was just to protect it a little but not sturdy like a travel case. It added at least 1/2" to each side. Ended up being fairly tall. I only had this pic of it standing on end.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

IMG_7101 (resized).JPG

#12189 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-does-it-take-to-swap-a-heighway-pinball-game

Probably not "the" case obviously but this gives an idea of size...

" It added at least 1/2" to each side " I think it would squeeze in if that were the size. You could probably go thinner with a mass produced hard plastic shell.

#12190 2 years ago

A Weyland-Yutani playfield container would look sweet in my gameroom

400px-WeylandYutaniShippingCrates (resized).jpg

#12191 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

A Weyland-Yutani playfield container would look sweet in my gameroom

Oh that needs to be done! I would happily pay a little more for custom game cases, great idea

#12192 2 years ago

What is the cost of a wooden cabinet, a backbox with LCD and metal legs? Is that really 40% of $6450 or $2580?

Standard backbox actually doesn't include the LCD (but it does include a hinged door and LED lighting).

But besides what you mention, the full cabinet includes the power system (transformer and power board), computer, cabinet I/O board, speakers and amplifier, coin door, flipper buttons, operator button panel, tilt bob, etc...

#12193 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Oh that needs to be done! I would happily pay a little more for custom game cases, great idea

Even better replace the legs with a crate like Whoa Nelly

#12194 2 years ago

Ya if they did make a hard plastic case I think people would like it better as it will look slot nicer than a wooden crate.

They should make it look like a breif case so you can carry it like a boss. " I'm off to work honey. No name bar down the street needs a new playfield!"

#12195 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Crap, now I want to add coin mechs too. Anyone know their cost?

If you want real mechs they are about $10.

If you just want to be able to drop in a quarter or a token (or whatever) then you can get the Any Coin mechs for about $3. I use them in all my arcade machines and my, currently, lone pinball machine:

https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-v3-replacement-arcade-coin-mechs

#12196 2 years ago

Just an FYI. Heighway is speaking tomorrow at 4pm at The Texas Pinball Festival. Hopefully we hear some good things about Alien.

#12197 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just an FYI. Heighway is speaking tomorrow at 4pm at The Texas Pinball Festival. Hopefully we hear some good things about Alien.

Man, wish there was a stream we could watch this on. Would really love to hear what Andrew has to say.

#12198 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Man, wish there was a stream we could watch this on. Would really love to hear what Andrew has to say.

Agreed! I just hope someone is extremely nice and posts a video of it on Youtube.

#12199 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quoted from JeffF:

Agreed! I just hope someone is extremely nice and posts a video of it on Youtube.

Yeah if anyone could record it on an iPad or something or maybe take some notes and post them here that would be awesome!!

#12200 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

If you want real mechs they are about $10.
If you just want to be able to drop in a quarter or a token (or whatever) then you can get the Any Coin mechs for about $3. I use them in all my arcade machines and my, currently, lone pinball machine:
https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-v3-replacement-arcade-coin-mechs

Thanks Lamprey, I've not seen these before.
Just to clarify .. its 3 bucks if you buy 50 or more. Its $8 for 1.
Check the site for qty pricing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 244 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside