• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 494.
#9701 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So, no rotating Jonesy?

#9702 2 years ago

Hmmm. Replace airlock can with something else...maybe something nobody has seen before...something innovative...how about...another screen? Brilliant!

screenovation (resized).jpg

#9703 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Hmmm. Replace airlock can with something else...maybe something nobody has seen before...something innovative...how about...another screen? Brilliant!

Innovative comment. Brilliant

#9704 2 years ago

I dunno - I can just hear that head saying "can't I get ANY respect here?". Now there is a distracting picture frame jammed right up against it. Even if it's moved over a tad it seems too close.

It's actually the huge decorated bezel around the mini screen that catches the eye. If it was a slim black bezel that didn't attract your attention the screen would look less cumbersome and further away from the Alien.

That's my armchair quarterback comment.

#9705 2 years ago

I reckon it is getting to busy and cluttered, scrap the lcd as bordering an lcd overload and reduce the size of the air lock a little so not to dominate over the alien head, maybe the backboard of the playfield simply has an image of space.

alternatively maybe instead of the airlock some sort of 3d modelling that represents hallways etc

#9706 2 years ago

It's simple....

The focus is the Alien, not the screen.

Just leave the queen there, you have the plastic part, and light it. No need for an airlock or LCD. The LCD is overkill, more expense, and more coding.

Also, it's actually a pity the Alien wasn't more side on. It's the profile of the ugly thing that's the most scariest.

Anyway, put the queen back without the airlock around it.

#9707 2 years ago

Yeah, it's the huge bezel that makes the screen appear too large for that area. Probably would fit better in that spot with just the screen and no bezel.

#9708 2 years ago

This makes me wonder more what a fully realized Nordman ALIEN game would've looked like.
It is what it is however, and there's enough here to still grab my money.

#9709 2 years ago

Disclaimer: Massive Alien fan, like to bling and mod, LE #316 + backbox LCD, Paid in Full. Personal opinions.

I generally prefer the screen over the airlock and would have immediately ordered/replaced Airlock Chamber with it. For me there was a perpetually distracting scale issue with the permanent Queen toy adjacent to the Xeno head.

Yes, the large bezel also introduces visual competition and some scale stuff with the Xeno head, and even moved more to the left, I think there will still be some issue. And I do agree with voodle that the Xenon head is a lot more iconic and scary in more of a profile view, but I personally still find the screen less distracting than the Airlock Chamber.

I also agree that using the display more subtly (compared to the playfield/backbox display activity) should enhance modes as opposed to distracting from them if this is done by providing either super-simple, contextual data or maybe a static or subtly animated "environmental" visual (e.g. if there was/is a Nostromo Self Destruct mode, just having a shot of a hallway with steam jetting - something that has some visual movement to it, but not super-distracting and easy for the brain to "background").

In the future, I actually really like the idea of having several very small displays integrated into toys or playfield areas to provide some options for mode enhancements. I like Sparky Pinball's Micro Display Mods as a first pass at "dumb" displays and think the TV mods look great in some machines (TSPP, TZ, TAF, etc.), but I welcome options that can be more supportive of modes and controlled as an integral part to the game though not quite to the point of PACMAN's "brilliant" recommendation. 8-)

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Kg

IMG_3389 (resized).jpg

#9710 2 years ago

Ill solve this!

Shrink the Airlock a bit, and put the LCD screen inside!

Animate the screen with Torture hits that the quite reacts violently too, while locked in the Chamber!
A video animated "countdown" to her defeat!
The affect could be amazing, and made to look like shes inside and reacting.

or, again an airlock toy, 1/2 front, a little smaller, and it rotates to the screen.

Should cover everyone...almost.

#9711 2 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Kg

Since your dead, can I have your LE. Great Picture!!!!

#9712 2 years ago

To be honest, myself and everyone I played Alien with at Expo never got our info from the playfield LCD. As good of an initial idea as it was, the new giant screen is just easier to read. I know not looking up is helpful, but the font is small enough that I can't just make a quick glance to soak it all in anyway. I wish they would ditch the 3rd LCD and rather than mirror the backbox and playfield, they would make the playfield LCD more of a HUD with mode/shot related info. The reason they "need" the 3rd LCD is because they're not really optimizing how to use the two they already have.

I love Heighway and want both Alien and Full Throttle, but you can see this LCD thing is a victim of evolving their original concept rather than stepping back and rethinking.

I'm sure I have some of the details here wrong, but essentially:

Originally they ONLY had the playfield LCD, so it had to have all the info.

People clamored for a backbox LCD, so Heighway accommodated with the small version and the screens were mirrored.

Heighway surprised everyone with a full size backbox LCD. This is where they should have rethought the use of the two, but I think there were hardware issues with 2 video streams.

They teased a possible third screen, but this was to be for short clips, etc. and they still had an issue with the technical ability to add another video stream.

Now they apparently have figured out how to add another video stream for the third screen to show mode info. Isn't this exactly the info you want without having to look up. Sounds like a great role for the playfield LCD rather than putting general game info in front of the player and making them look to the back of the machine for the immediate mode related stuff.

I refuse to believe that if Heighway re-conceptualized everything knowing what they know now that they would purposely incorporate 3 LCD screens. Seems like it would be cheaper and a better end experience to re-think how they're using the screens they already have versus adding a new one to supplement what the playfield one could have been doing all along.

#9713 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Since your dead, can I have your LE. Great Picture!!!!

"LV-462? Honey, did you order something from Las Vegas...."

#9714 2 years ago

I'm pumped on replacing an outdated, boring and ugly toy with something that is flexible and offers more room to give the game atmosphere.

To those complaining, tell me, which reminds you more of the movies, this:

or this?

1300x-Alien_Queen2[1] (resized).jpg

'nuff said.

#9715 2 years ago

Just wondering if you all have seen these? They may make very cool additions to our machines.

IMG_4961 (resized).JPG

IMG_4962 (resized).JPG

IMG_4963 (resized).JPG

IMG_4964 (resized).JPG

IMG_4965 (resized).JPG

IMG_4959 (resized).JPG

IMG_4960 (resized).JPG

#9716 2 years ago

I like the LDC screen, and think it's a big improvement over the rotating chamber. Just a thought - it could replicate the look of the original computer screens form the 1st movie - while still relaying specific player information.

download1 (resized).jpg
download2 (resized).jpg
images4 (resized).jpg

images3 (resized).jpg

#9717 2 years ago
Quoted from billycrna:

Just wondering if you all have seen these? They may make very cool additions to our machines.

Hallmark mods are the best-est!!! and I think it's great that the Queen looks like she is in heels.

and as long as we are in the Holiday spirit, I thought I would share our tree topper...

IMG_0305 (resized).jpg

#9718 2 years ago

I prefer the screen over the queen airlock, though a 3rd LCD does seem a bit overuse. I don't even mind the bezel around it and would reserve judgement until I see it in person. As some others have mentioned, I would reserve the use of it to key points only. To further this I would do the same with the playfield LCD. Keep it for things like the motion sensor, computer displays, cads, ect and not so much with movie clips. Use the larger LCD for those. The 3rd smallet LCD use only for mode specific shots, otherwise keep it dark.

#9719 2 years ago
Quoted from KevinG-ATL:

and I think it's great that the Queen looks like she is in heels.

I thought the same thing!

#9720 2 years ago

The standard lcd playfield on Full Throttle took a little time to get used to, but after a while I really liked it and couldn't imagine the game without it.

When you get used to it, it's a much better view for the player than looking up every time. Just takes a little time getting used to.

I love the new airlock lcd. The extra hobbit lcd did a great job with helping the player during modes and I love that Alien will have the same benefit.

quick information about what to shoot for during multiball and modes is some of the things that I think newer Sterns are lacking of.

Williams did this with sound. Stern uses lights only. It works in some places but are lacking in other moments. Interaction with the player is important and this new feature will greatly enhance that part of the experience.

Too much info on one screen is much more difficult to follow than having a second screen with rules info and countdown. The second screen can also be used to show clips to illustrate things happening in the airlock. I think it is a much better choice than to have 2 toys right next to each other.

Very impressed about how quickly Heighway was able to change this.

In the end, it's about what benefits the playing experience and I believe that this is a huge step up.

It will probably demand a huge extra load on the programmers, though. But I am betting they are up for the challenge

Well done, Andrew!!!

#9721 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

To be honest, myself and everyone I played Alien with at Expo never got our info from the playfield LCD. As good of an initial idea as it was, the new giant screen is just easier to read. I know not looking up is helpful, but the font is small enough that I can't just make a quick glance to soak it all in anyway. I wish they would ditch the 3rd LCD and rather than mirror the backbox and playfield, they would make the playfield LCD more of a HUD with mode/shot related info. The reason they "need" the 3rd LCD is because they're not really optimizing how to use the two they already have.
I love Heighway and want both Alien and Full Throttle, but you can see this LCD thing is a victim of evolving their original concept rather than stepping back and rethinking.
I'm sure I have some of the details here wrong, but essentially:
Originally they ONLY had the playfield LCD, so it had to have all the info.
People clamored for a backbox LCD, so Heighway accommodated with the small version and the screens were mirrored.
Heighway surprised everyone with a full size backbox LCD. This is where they should have rethought the use of the two, but I think there were hardware issues with 2 video streams.
They teased a possible third screen, but this was to be for short clips, etc. and they still had an issue with the technical ability to add another video stream.
Now they apparently have figured out how to add another video stream for the third screen to show mode info. Isn't this exactly the info you want without having to look up. Sounds like a great role for the playfield LCD rather than putting general game info in front of the player and making them look to the back of the machine for the immediate mode related stuff.
I refuse to believe that if Heighway re-conceptualized everything knowing what they know now that they would purposely incorporate 3 LCD screens. Seems like it would be cheaper and a better end experience to re-think how they're using the screens they already have versus adding a new one to supplement what the playfield one could have been doing all along.

sorry but you need more time on the machine. I have watched MANY people learn on Full Throttle. Without question, EVERY single person ignores the in pf screen for the first 10 games. They then slowly realize that it is super important and where you get ALL your info. your brain learns to look there and stop looking up.

The back box screen is for the other players that are playing along and watching you do stuff, not for info.

I am a huge fan of the in pf screen and I suggest getting more time on the game with a whole afternoon or evening session. I am 100% positive you will change your opinion. The in pf screen and implementation from Heighway is done extremely well. your brain will adjust over time.

#9722 2 years ago

I liked the idea of the playfield screen, but the big 27" really sucks up all the oxygen. The other thing to consider is with playfield swaps, including that small LCD in the playfield of every game adds to the costs when the game could just share the big LCD across all titles.

It is what it is at this point, but I think the more inexpensive the playfield swaps, the more weight the entire concept has. It's possible without including the playfield lcd with every game you could get to under $4k US for a playfield, and that would be pretty attractive.

#9723 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well you're wrong, it's not a last minute thing, it's an idea I pitched to the team after Expo,

So something pitched after the game has been developed for years, has final approval, and is supposed to be going into production isn't "last minute"?

I appreciate Andrews commitment to improvements... but the presentation as previewed... yuk. It really does look like some bolt on whose mass hurts the toy next to it

#9725 2 years ago

There's also these blind box figures, they're made by Kotobukiya. I got them at my local comic shop.

P1020067.JPG

#9726 2 years ago

I like the idea of animating a trapped alien within the LCD. It could be a chamber one second and anything else the next.

A lot of possibilities for the programmer to innovate.

It can freak out during a multiball or mode to add to the excitement. Adding a shake effect would heighten the experience as well.

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Please ignore the cable at the top and the alignment/ratio of the screen. The positioning and angle of the screen is also subject to change.

Maybe a Cadd rendering or something similar will clear up the confusion about how this will look.

#9727 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Innovative comment. Brilliant

Made me laugh.

#9728 2 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

This makes me wonder more what a fully realized Nordman ALIEN game would've looked like.
It is what it is however, and there's enough here to still grab my money.

Dennis' vision for the Alien pin focused much more on the first film than the second.

#9729 2 years ago

Hmmm, I get why people did not like the coffee can.

But I have to say I prefer it to that screen, not really sure it needs 'another' screen to look at. And it is too big for the space as well.

I am a big fan of moving toys on pinball machines even if they are not interactive so that is probably why.

For me if they wanted a simple fix perhaps change out the queen and put in a (sizeable) face hugger that jumps at the glass on a successful hit?

Based on this........

Cryo-stasis_tubes2 (resized).jpg

#9730 2 years ago
Quoted from Cursed:

But I have to say I prefer it to that screen, not really sure it needs 'another' screen to look at. And it is too big for the space as well.
I am a big fan of moving toys on pinball machines even if they are not interactive so that is probably why.
For me if they wanted a simple fix perhaps change out the queen and put in a (sizeable) face hugger that jumps at the glass on a successful hit?
Based on this........

That would be pretty cool, and the scale would work well next to the xenomorph head.

#9731 2 years ago

Christmas came a little early this year Alien Covenant trailer...

#9732 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

As promised, here is a sneek preview of the replacement for the Queen's Chamber.
The original concept was to have a 5" Airlock LCD screen on the rear of the rotating toy. The Airlock screen will now permanently replace the Queen's Chamber.
Featuring the next mode to collect, countdown timers and more - this is an independently-controlled LCD screen.
The photos show the prototype unit. Please ignore the cable at the top and the alignment/ratio of the screen. The positioning and angle of the screen is also subject to change.
This does not necessarily mean the end of the Queen model. She may yet appear elsewhere on the playfield - but likely as an official after-market add-on/mod.

So, basically the screen in TH. Cool.

#9733 2 years ago

I want one for my next pin, I just have to save up for it after going on a spending spree for Christmas.

#9734 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I'm sorry but you guys are too serious in here...I mean did anyone else notice the screen on the xeno's forehead??

Comedy freakin gold pacman...

#9735 2 years ago

Acknowledging the prototype status of the new screen, it really does seem to crowd the xenomorph head and detract from the alien's impressiveness. Clearly the head is the main "toy" in the game, and should be its main attraction.

I have to agree with the question of: how many screens are too many? Thinking about passing on the screen in the back box in favor of the traditional back glass. 2 screens on the field might be enough for me.

#9736 2 years ago
Quoted from Cursed:

Based on this........

AND the pin could have a variety of really amazing lighting effects to illuminate. What do others think? Is there any possibility of this being considered, or is it too late in the game?

#9737 2 years ago

You can ask 10 people and get 10 great ideas. You do want to actually GET this machine, right?

#9738 2 years ago

Could do with being more like the monitors in the aliens film.

vlcsnap-2015-01-25-14h36m44s165 (resized).png

#9739 2 years ago

Change it to a mini CRT monitor

#9740 2 years ago

I am going tomorrow with the Proto Alien Pinball to Freddy's Pinball Paradise in Germany.
So I have done an initial rule sheet in which you are maybe also interested (in English).

http://www.rs-pinball.at/alien-regelwerk/

I have not written down the rules of the single modes till now, but the document will go on.

Br
Stefan From RS-PINBALL www.rs-Pinball.at

#9741 2 years ago

That rulesheet is awesome! Well done and thanks!

#9742 2 years ago

Dasfukkinwesome rulesheeet... can't wait to play this game already!!

#9743 2 years ago

That's a very nice rule sheet you have started. Well done.

#9744 2 years ago
Quoted from Cursed:

Based on this........

I would HAPPILY wait on another delay for this to be incorporated. That would look awesome.

I do think the LCD screen is a great idea if it plays clips illustrating the "theme of the mode being played" like aliens climbing the ceiling in "ambush" mode or other such examples.

Either way, this will be worth the wait. I really wish the game would start shipping so 1st owners could get them, report bugs, Heighway address the bugs/quirks/tweaks, and then I can order mine .

2017 looks good for Alien.

#9745 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

I am going tomorrow with the Proto Alien Pinball to Freddy's Pinball Paradise in Germany.
So I have done an initial rule sheet in which you are maybe also interested (in English).
I have not written down the rules of the single modes till now, but the document will go on.
Br
Stefan From RS-PINBALL http://www.rs-Pinball.at

Thanks for the rulesheet. Screen captures help explain a lot too. You da man!

#9746 2 years ago

I think Im going to visit this thread a bit more.

Much nicer than the BM66 Thread!

Merry Christmas to all!

#9747 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

Br

That's awesome. Thanks!

#9748 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

Br

1ED583B0-9E64-43A1-9222-D7980393FB68-13312-00001218C200A4FF_tmp (resized).png

#9749 2 years ago

Stefan is a super nice guy, excellent machine technician (y'all have no idea how much he helped making the prototypes at Expo work well), and now he writes a great rulesheet too... well done, sir.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 195 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside