• 24,834 posts
  • 989 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by VividPsychosis
  • Topic is favorited by 268 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,864 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4911 (resized).jpg
IMG_4910 (resized).jpg
Unbenannt (resized).JPG
36C12A21-ACB7-4C77-AA6E-93870258191D (resized).jpeg
12078675-4704659829489674 (resized).jpg
9A1AD931-4F86-4CAC-A73C-8318A968E54C (resized).jpeg
07445D35-9F91-4590-9914-57FDDA690747 (resized).jpeg
D09745A7-95CD-4576-AA7E-88E1EF02E6AA (resized).jpeg
AEDE433F-D01E-4758-9089-F84807756690 (resized).jpeg
71A48A9B-1FFA-4761-8F8A-3CF514A5E4A9 (resized).jpeg
6FE7CC81-88E9-43CD-AA7A-46024E118C7B (resized).jpeg
E9D0CD76-07B8-40A2-95C0-9F9A6628AC0A (resized).jpeg
89006E32-605F-44EE-A01D-AF7DE43870DE (resized).jpeg
Through (resized).JPG
4842E1BF-995A-4668-9732-CA12FB7194AB (resized).jpeg
7741AAFD-69CD-4683-B1E1-5A6D5CF8C059 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24834 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 497.
#4051 3 years ago

Episode 214 "An Evening With Aurich Lawson"
- Aurich Lawson, Art Director for Heighway Pinball's Alien talks Alien art package, Heighway Pinball, and more.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-214-an-evening-with-aurich-lawson_67962

#4052 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People were critical of the rob zombie playfield and got; both of which look way better then this artwork; which just looks well not that inspiring at all

Maybe only if you're comparing thumbnail images of them? And to be fair both RZ and GoT were revealed complete whereas we're viewing the Alien art devoid of virtually any context.

Interestingly, the RZ playfield criticism was based on the fact that it was clearly painted without regard for insert placement and design, nor practically any other playfield parts. Alien, on the other hand, is virtually the complete opposite of this which makes for a totally incomplete experience seeing the playfield art out of context.

#4053 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Maybe only if you're comparing thumbnail images of them? And to be fair both RZ and GoT were revealed complete whereas we're viewing the Alien art devoid of virtually any context.
Interestingly, the RZ playfield criticism was based on the fact that it was clearly painted without regard for insert placement and design, nor practically any other playfield parts. Alien, on the other hand, is virtually the complete opposite of this which makes for a totally incomplete experience seeing the playfield art out of context.

I agree this already looks better than got and rz without it being populated . Just with the line drawing over top of this you can see its gonna make it really all come together and you can see what the artist was going for . Cant wait for the full reveal I bet the plastics and toys will really make the playfield art make total sense

#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

... the Alien playfield proves that it is possible, even for a less experienced company.

that's YOUR point of view that i respect.

i don't know if JJP has more experience but WOZ and The hobbit playfields are awesome! that's the word that immediately came to my mouth when i saw them for the first time.

it just does not do it for me now. nothing serious, just my tastes and certainly too much expectations about this title.

#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

... the Alien playfield proves that it is possible, even for a less experienced company.

that's YOUR point of view that i respect.

i don't know if JJP has more experience but WOZ and The hobbit playfields are awesome! that's the word that immediately came to my mouth when i saw them for the first time.

it just does not do it for me now. nothing serious, just my tastes and certainly too much expectations about this title.

#4056 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think I'm going to call it a night, go play some SFIV

Bagsies on Blanka.

#4057 3 years ago

Looks interesting, I will await the final product with plastics, lights and hardware before making my mind up

One question, as JJP did with the hobbit, are Heighway pinball open to recieving feedback regarding the playfield art which can potentially be incorporated before the game is finished? Or are Heighway bound quite strictly by FOX IP?

Keep it up!

Cheers!

#4058 3 years ago

I just hope that the human characters which are on screen for the majority of the time are somewhere in the plastics etc

#4059 3 years ago

One of my favorite franchises!

Not sure if anyone pointed it out yet, but I think "insure" here should be "ensure":

alien_(resized).PNG

Edit: as anthony691 and TimeBandit pointed out, I'm wrong

#4060 3 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

Not sure if anyone pointed it out yet, but I think "insure" here should be "ensure":

alien_(resized).PNG

Eh. "Insure" v. "ensure" is a minor point of debate among grammarians (a minority of whom will advise the use of "insure" in both instances).

To me personally, "insure" does connote Zurich, etc.

Not a big deal one way or the other.

#4061 3 years ago

I have to agree with the majority, lose the cartoon images that look like an after thought. Simple fix that does a lot to improve to over all playfield look. I get what Aurich was trying to do and respect it, but the truth is, it doesn't execute well and does not fit into the overall playfield theme or composition at all.

#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

I've add my own interpretation to the artwork and photoshopped the original by deleting the 'cartoon' elements and non-core element like the badges, flames, text and some color splatter around the space ships.

Yep, the only thing I don't like about it as well.

#4063 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

People were critical of the rob zombie playfield and got; both of which look way better then this artwork; which just looks well not that inspiring at all

Really? I think the RZ playfield and the artwork on it are uninspiring. The entire RZ playfield has a cheap / cheezy look to it in my opinion and the artwork + lack of inserts in the bottom 1/3 of the game look terrible. I think Alien is much more impressive and the layout looks pretty slick with a ton of shots.

In terms of inserts between the flippers RZ has...1 (the "shoot again" insert) while there's 18 on Alien.

#4064 3 years ago

We all have opinions and are entitled too them and if you don't think the art on the cabinet is bad ass and the translite then wow don't know what to say because it is bad azz

#4065 3 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

alien_(resized).PNG

Nope, it's good. Just watched the scene.

#4066 3 years ago
Quoted from S0RRY:

alien_(resized).PNG

Unless you mean they should have used "ensure" in the movie?

#4067 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Unless you mean they should have used "ensure" in the movie?

Nope, I thought it was incorrect on the table but it looks like I'm wrong. Thanks for doing the legwork, I'll edit my post.

#4068 3 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

In general I really like it, but I do have to admit (even with the descriptions as to why they're integrated) the 'hot rod flames,' the "Fly the Friendly Skies" helmet writing, the Bug Stomper decal, and the skull and knife drawing all just feel...well, out of place to me.
It looks almost like a second artist came in on top of an already clean work of art, but wanted to add to it and did so by writing on the playfield with a silver sharpie and slapping on a couple of stickers. As if too much time was had and a "what else can I do" attitude was taken - and in turn too many things were added.
While some of the ideas as to why they're integrated make sense when described, why not save some of those elements to be incorporated via plastics or even simply used on the LCD rather than directly on the playfield? It just takes the depth away from the whole scene for me.
Again. I generally really like it. I'm just scratching my head at a few decisions made. I'm sure it'll grow on me...

Well said, can I say too busy? Sometimes less is more, planets/moon look (ahem) not good, looks crammed in with a shoe horn. I'm not saying that Star Trek is the best PF art, but IMO space is mostly empty.

To me this art is more STTNG and less ST (it's fine) but I prefer the later rendition of outer space.

#4069 3 years ago

Some people are being rough on the playfield, especially when it's our first shot seeing it. We haven't seen any plastics or mechs on it, or from the angle you see it as a player.

I think Aurich did a great job, especially on a license where they probably shoved some things down his throat and took some of his freedom away.

I especially like the lower section of the playfield, which is the area that gets the most attention.

#4070 3 years ago

I don't want to sound as a negative Nelly, but the bottom half of the PF is excellent, the top half looks like it was drawn by a completely different artist. The glow around the ships in not great.

Oh well, it's fine, I'm just saying it's not the greatest PF art of all time. Also I have some not great art like my AcDc pin which doesn't bother me. Primary will be the rules and shots how it plays and sound effects and lighting effects. Last-ish will be the art as a deciding factor for me.

Hope the LE back glass art is nice.

#4071 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Game of thrones looks better than this? Get your eyes checked, that is an absurd statement.

#4072 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Ok, I'll be bold.
I've add my own interpretation to the artwork and photoshopped the original by deleting the 'cartoon' elements and non-core element like the badges, flames, text and some color splatter around the space ships.
You can click on it to get a larger view.
Mine is on the left, the original on the right.
Personally I think it looks cleaner and they need make sure the planet art doesn't cut into the LCD screen.

sideBysideAlien_(resized).jpg

That's a thousand million billion times better.

#4073 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Ok, I'll be bold.
Personally I think it looks cleaner and they need make sure the planet art doesn't cut into the LCD screen.

Nicely done. Small changes, but a large effect in the right direction.

#4074 3 years ago

I like it. It's probably not what everyone was expecting, but I don't think that makes it bad. When the CAD was layered on it, it brought it to life. I think it's one of the better playfield art drawings in recent memory. Good job, Aurich.

#4075 3 years ago

This is the essentially the final product...no offense, but you are wasting your time recommending and making changes--it's a fun exercise but as long as you know it won't happen. It's over Johnny.

#4076 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Ok, I'll be bold.

Certainly looks better as wall art, but I wouldn't speculate which will work better in the built machine---except to give Aurich the benefit of the doubt because he knows what the context will be better than anyone.

#4077 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

This is the essentially the final product...no offense, but you are wasting your time recommending and making changes--it's a fun exercise but as long as you know it won't happen. It's over Johnny.

Seeing as Fox just approved it, it's not like they've already printed thousands of these things.

#4078 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Seeing as Fox just approved it, it's not like they've already printed thousands of these things.

I am just relaying what the Heighway employee stated. This is it. Sorry. I like it BTW.

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I am just relaying what the Heighway employee stated. This is it. Sorry. I like it BTW.

I'm sure that's what JJP said at Expo 2014.

#4080 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm sure that's what JJP said at Expo 2014.

good luck.

#4081 3 years ago

Honestly don't care that much. I made one comment about someone's changes that I liked.

#4082 3 years ago

They want to have the game at TPF in March. Let's just call it a day and get this game out the door. It's already a year late.

#4083 3 years ago

It looks just fine. In some games, especially those light on toys and such, perhaps the playfield should be bold and really grab your eye. In others, that job is left to other parts of the game. In this case that will be the toys and the LCD. The art in the playfield is quite literally in the background. It's not supposed to be the main focus of attention. I suspect when we see the final product, the playfield art will do exactly the job it's supposed to do, and the whole thing will look beautiful.

#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

Eh. "Insure" v. "ensure" is a minor point of debate among grammarians (a minority of whom will advise the use of "insure" in both instances).
To me personally, "insure" does connote Zurich, etc.
Not a big deal one way or the other.

The two words are homophones, which is probably why some people don't realize there is a difference between them. Insure has to do with obtaining insurance. Ensure basically means "to make certain".

It's like the difference between "buy" and "bye" or "break" and "brake".

#4085 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The two words are homophones, which is probably why some people don't realize there is a difference between them. Insure has to do with obtaining insurance. Ensure basically means "to make certain".

Isn't it as direct rip from the movie anyway? Not sure if the suggestion was there was an error in the art or an error in the film.

Either way, art's done, assemble the playfield and box up the swap kit.

#4086 3 years ago

(with respect to Aurich who has always been helpful and thoughtful)

Congratulations on the release, I know it is the culmination of countless hours of thankless work.

Unfortunately, my overall impression so far isn't great. I can really tell that your hands were tied by the license. It's a real shame. The other art I have seen from you has had so much more drama and grandeur.

Overall, it just looks... boring.

I have to agree with previous comments. I don't like the cartoonish elements. They look out of place. I realize they are sort of "fan-service", but I consider myself a fan, and I don't care for them.

Definitely get rid of the cartoons and the odd-looking (ahem) triangles.

And you can do so much better with the side art and backglass...so far it's a total snooze-fest.

Keeping my credit card in my pocket for now, but I remain optimistic that Aurich can fix this.

#4087 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The two words are homophones,

Careful. You can't talk about that stuff on Pinside.

#4088 3 years ago

I like the rendering without the cartoon elements as well. Like someone else posted, the emblems might look good on the apron. Overall, I like it with the cad rendering. Looking forward to TPF. Hopefully there will be a get together for those of us in on this.

#4089 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To be perfectly honest I think showing just the playfield is probably the worst possible way to show a pin. You're just missing too much context.
In this case it was also obviously the right thing to do. Waiting until there was a complete game to showing something would have been a horrible idea, no one here wants that.
I'm waiting for the final CAD file from Dave to start doing some updates, but I quickly overlaid the latest version over my art. A lot of the space that feels "blank" is covered, there was no reason to put art there that no one would see. And if you look you can see that the Weyland Yutani logos need to move up a bit, the upper right flipper is shifting slightly. Etc etc.
I'll make those tweaks soon. I can repost that art then just to keep a public record of the latest version probably.
But the reality is you're just missing too much of what makes the game the game right now. It's a three dimensional beast, with ramps and wireforms and plastics and toys etc.
New CAD lines in pink (not necessarily final, just a reference for where things are, doesn't include toys).
l3ppkfd-_(resized).png

At first, I was a bit underwhelmed. But, seeing the CAD layout overlayed pulls things together a bit more.

It reminds me a bit of Sega artwork, like X-Files, ID4, and Starship Troopers. Lots of gradients punctuated with shapes with solid colors. Not really a style that speaks to me, but some people seem to like it.

I was probably expecting something more along the lines of Giger-inspired artwork.

I think that a lot of folks just imagined it looking differently, so they weren't blown away by it.

Overall, it's ok. Some playfields are really eye-catching to the point where you might want an extra just to hang on your wall, but with this one, I'm not really seeing that happening, unfortunately. That doesn't mean it's bad though--not all playfields are destined to be wall hangers.

Either way, I appreciate all the work you did put into it and how open you have been about it through the whole process. It has been very interesting to follow along in the process of developing a game.

#4090 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

This is exactly my point. The grid lines HAVE to go as well. It brings the cheese level to a maximum as do the random "planets". This was the first thing people who got a warez copy of 3dsmax were doing was making cheesy planet art because they could skin the sphere object.
Also the mixture of the drawn alien (with the unfortunately placed groin insert) and the movie snap aliens at the bottom looks odd. Pick one.
No additional comments from me.
</end>

while i tend to agree with your views on this playfield, i feel there could be a better way of saying it. especially from you, who works for a direct competitor.
and shouldn't your association with JJP be registered on the Pinside Business Directory (so it shows under your username)? this is a good example to show how your posted opinions might be exaggerated or have an agenda behind them. not everyone who's reading this knows who you work for.

#4091 3 years ago

The pinside design-by-committee pitchfork mob has fully ramped up again. Just like with Every. Other. Release. The Hobbit set a terrible precident in that it empowered the foot stomping handful of people here that they can affect change (it also did some good in that case, but the fallout is this). Now, when every new pin is announced this same exact dance happens. The foot stompers rush to lock in on some detail and start whipping themselves into a frenzy that it *has* to be changed. This seems to be driven - consciously or subconsciously - by the desire to insert themselves into the design process and nothing more. Pinsiders confused that the reality is their knee jerk reaction to art is not some universal truth....just their opinion. I also have to say it was disheartening to watch Aurich lead the charge on the RZ of as he is normally a calm voice of reason here.....because the same reaction to Alien was also inevitable. I am a lifelong fan of Alien and can think of 50 totally different directions the play field could have gone in.....of course, those seem more interesting to me but I am not making the pinball. I didn't start with a blank page and create something that needed to adhere to and accommodate more people than just me. The play field is just fine and will work great with the rest of the game....plastics, toys, video, lighting. I am focusing on how awesome pinball is right now because of companies and pins like this....relish in being on a forum where you see things first and interact directly with pinball companies. If you want to design a pinball, the go do that too! Seriously, that would be a much better and positive use of energy. Also - you will pry that Nostromo patch element from my cold, dead hands. It is what it is people.....deal.

#4092 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Isn't it as direct rip from the movie anyway? Not sure if the suggestion was there was an error in the art or an error in the film.
Either way, art's done, assemble the playfield and box up the swap kit.

Yup, just looked back on some screenshots and they use "insure". That doesn't necessarily mean it's grammatically correct today, but it's true to the original appearance in the movie, at least.

#4093 3 years ago

Last PF art that I didn't hear a negative peep about was Metallica.

#4094 3 years ago

It's really, really, difficult to judge playfield art without context, like the insert lighting.

In this thread, there's an animated gif illustrating that point demonstrating what the insert illumination sequence might look like, and it makes the playfield art look better as it gives meaning to the chosen images.

I think it looks great.

#4095 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Last PF art that I didn't hear a negative peep about was Metallica.

that was before Pinside became certified in art critique...

#4096 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I have to agree with the majority, lose the cartoon images

Please don't count me in that majority. The movie ephemera is my favorite part of the design. This playfield is obviously a love letter to the franchise. I wouldn't change a thing.

#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

The pinside design-by-committee pitchfork mob has fully ramped up again. Just like with Every. Other. Release. The Hobbit set a terrible precident in that it empowered the foot stomping handful of people here that they can affect change (it also did some good in that case, but the fallout is this). Now, when every new pin is announced this same exact dance happens. The foot stompers rush to lock in on some detail and start whipping themselves into a frenzy that it *has* to be changed. This seems to be driven - consciously or subconsciously - by the desire to insert themselves into the design process and nothing more. Pinsiders confused that the reality is their knee jerk reaction to art is not some universal truth....just their opinion. I also have to say it was disheartening to watch Aurich lead the charge in the for RZ as he is normally a calm voice of reason here.....because the same reaction to Alien was also inevitable. I am a lifelong fan of Alien and can think of 50 totally different directions the play field could have gone in.....of course, those seem more interesting to me but I am not making the pinball. I didn't start with a blank page and create something that needed to adhere to and accommodate more people than just me. The play field is just fine and will work great with the rest of the game....plastics, you'd, video, lighting. I am focusing on how awesome pinball is right now because of companies and pins like this....relish in being on a forum where you see things first and interact directly with pinball companies. If you want to design a pinball, the go do that too! Seriously, that would be a much better and positive use of energy. Also - you will pry that Nostromo patch element from my cold, dead hands. It is what it is people.....deal.

The "Enter" key is your friend. Why do you hate it?

#4098 3 years ago

I think the artwork is mostly really solid. Great job Aurich.

The one thing I will critique, and maybe there is room for change, is handling the transition of PF art to PF LCD. It really almost looks like an afterthought. I hope there is room to create some visual interest in the areas that surround that screen.

#4099 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nah. NYT style guide, for example, advises the use of "insure" in both instances. Your understanding is the more dominant usage.

Edit: I checked and I was wrong. NYT switched over to recognizing "ensure" in 1999. Broader point remains valid.

#4100 3 years ago

Congratulations to the team, the playfield looks terrific.

Now please start building them because I won't order until you are ready to ship.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 50.00
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
$ 49.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 19.95
There are 24834 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 497.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside