• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 493.
#11101 2 years ago

I have been following this thread for almost two years and I've mostly just been silently lurking. Mostly.

I wore out my VHS copies of ALIEN & ALIENS when I was younger. This theme has grail written all over it for me. I watch these gameplay videos and I don't see or hear major moments with the actors. It looks and feels very generic to me. Where is Ripley? Hudson? Hicks? Vasquez? Gorman? Assholes and elbows? How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit? Where is the Alien popping out of Kane or Ash malfunctioning? I just keep seeing cut scenes of MU/TH/UR and the monochrome computer screens, or a black silhouette of Ripley looking for her cat.

Great examples of what I am getting at are GB & TH. They are absolutely RIDDLED with quotes, music and moments from those movies. Alien pinball does not appear to have this level of movie content. For nearly $7K after shipping I expect more. I played it as much as I could at Expo and hoped it would flesh out more since then. And these "two week" delays are just not adding up anymore. There have been so many promised dates missed for too many reasons at this point. That is my 2 cents.

#11102 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In regards to music is all the of the music recorded for the game currently in the game? My only critique of the game (it looks really good) is that the game seems to possibly be missing a general upbeat ass kicking main audio track that I think would fit theme. I may not have heard the main track very well yet either. Does the main audio track change depending on which film mode is being played?
I can understand a main track for Alien based modes being a bit more subdued but the one for Aliens should be more of the ass kicking vibe variety, lol.

First, yes the Out Of Mode music is unique to each mode tree (Alien, AlienS). The AlienS OOM music is a lot more militaristic than Alien but is more about staging the missions on the Sulaco. The 'ass kicking' music has been reserved for the many combat oriented modes and phases within modes.

Once I can mix and adjust Alien sound on a pin in my studio some of the music cues will be refined. Some of the music cues are first versions and will be enhanced once I can experience the audio in context.

Very soon.... so for early acquirers be assured that it will only get better.

#11103 2 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I watch these gameplay videos and I don't see or hear major moments with the actors. It looks and feels very generic to me. Where is Ripley? Hudson? Hicks? Vasquez? Gorman? Assholes and elbows? How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?

The game is loaded with quotes from many of the actors. Not all of them, as we don't have carte blanche with all actors.

I'll let David give a running total of how many callouts are currently in the game.

Please bare in mind that we don't WANT to show every single aspect of this game in advance of owners receiving games. That would spoil it.

Can we show you more? Absolutely. We already have another gameplay video scheduled for this coming week.

#11104 2 years ago

What gamepla/rules questions to fellow Pinsiders have? It might be fun discussing while we wait. Here are some of mine:

1. What sort of playfield multipliers are there?
2. Are there add-a-ball features in any multi-balls?
3. How many balls does Alien have?
4. Are modes/multiballs stackable?
5. Is there a overarching wizard mode for finishing all 3 tiers (I didn't see an insert for one, so I'm not sure... Although an insert isn't necessary I suppose)?

#11105 2 years ago

Andrew, I wish you could bring a few extra Alien pins to TPF. I'd love nothing more than to hand you a fat stack of cash and bring one of these bad boys home with me. ...suspect I wouldn't be the only one too.

#11106 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I'll let David give a running total of how many callouts are currently in the game.

Integrating callouts correctly into highly interactive pinball action is a time consuming task. Joe and Brian have done a fair amount of it and there is more to come.

as for callouts - Hudson (121), Hicks (70), Apone (56), Dallas (41), Burke (34), Lambert (19), Parker (31), Brett (22) and so on

Addressing the elephant in the room, no there is no Ripley. As you can imagine we tried. I leave that detail to Andrew.

This is a 'dream theme' for the developers as well and we have made best efforts to immerse the game play in Alien stuff.

#11107 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Integrating callouts correctly into highly interactive pinball action is a time consuming task. Joe and Brian have done a fair amount of it and there is more to come.
as for callouts - Hudson (121), Hicks (70), Apone (56), Dallas (41), Burke (34), Lambert (19), Parker (31), Brett (22) and so on
Addressing the elephant in the room, no there is no Ripley. As you can imagine we tried. I leave that detail to Andrew.
This is a 'dream theme' for the developers as well and we have made best efforts to immerse the game play in Alien stuff.

Any Bishop?

#11108 2 years ago

Yes - back over to David

#11109 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Andrew, I wish you could bring a few extra Alien pins to TPF. I'd love nothing more than to hand you a fat stack of cash and bring one of these bad boys home with me. ...suspect I wouldn't be the only one too.

I can't confirm how many Aliens will be in Texas - only that there will be multiple games there

#11110 2 years ago

Sure, I have extracted 21 callouts of Bishop from AlienS though only about three of them have found a place in the action so far. He is not a chatty artificial person.

#11111 2 years ago

So excited to have you doing this David! You really have the immersion thing down!

#11112 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What gamepla/rules questions to fellow Pinsiders have? It might be fun discussing while we wait. Here are some of mine:
5. Is there a overarching wizard mode for finishing all 3 tiers (I didn't see an insert for one, so I'm not sure... Although an insert isn't necessary I suppose)?

Search Ferret posts, he's covered a lot of that I believe

#11113 2 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

It looks and feels very generic to me.

I think you are jumping the gun a bit, I'd wait for more gameplay videos...

#11114 2 years ago

I just wanna see the Alien Tongue Thingy snatch the ball!

#11115 2 years ago

So wait, I did some math and that's only about 400 call-outs plus a bunch more? That's it?

I want my deposit back.

#11116 2 years ago

I want to see this game get into homes. For me, that is the big thing stopping me from ordering. Good to see one or two going out; what I am counting on is seeing Bowen getting his hands on one and really showcasing the game. I want one, I really do, but I want to see it in action in people's homes where the cameras are steady, the sounds are up, and the game is showcased.

Looking forward to dropping the cash. More and more, Alien is pulling me away from TZ, SS, and CFTBL...

#11117 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I just wanna see the Alien Tongue Thingy snatch the ball!

I like that you worked "tongue", "thingy" and "snatch" into a sentence.

#11118 2 years ago

What is the maximum combo shot in the game, trying to figure out on the layout. Anything to rival the 7 shot combo in The Shadow?

#11119 2 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

That is my 2 cents.

Your feedback is fair but I'd wait for more games to ship and a post ship software update or two before making a final decision about purchasing this game or not.

In a perfect world Im sure Heighway would want to be able to use all the actors likenesses and any callouts from the two movies and keep the price the same. Obviously we live in an imperfect world but I think Heighway will do the best to balance what they have licensed and integrating it into the pin. The gameplay video shows the pin has a lot of shots , good flow and lots of potential. It also doesn't hurt that the owner, audio engineer, programmer, artist and other heighway folks are interacting frequently in this thread.

#11120 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I almost feel like i'm nitpicking, but the ball says its locked and then is released. maybe there was already balls in the lock..

It's a virtual ball lock - the up post is raised briefly to announce any awards, then the ball is released. It's working correctly.

#11121 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

First, yes the Out Of Mode music is unique to each mode tree (Alien, AlienS). The AlienS OOM music is a lot more militaristic than Alien but is more about staging the missions on the Sulaco. The 'ass kicking' music has been reserved for the many combat oriented modes and phases within modes.
Once I can mix and adjust Alien sound on a pin in my studio some of the music cues will be refined. Some of the music cues are first versions and will be enhanced once I can experience the audio in context.
Very soon.... so for early acquirers be assured that it will only get better.

Great to hear, thank you very much for the information David!

#11122 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes, "All Out War" is the final wizard mode. It has an insert in the center tier.

And it's actually implemented, I promise

#11123 2 years ago

I can tell by the video this table is going to be a good player. Good Job, can't wait to see the LE with the lighted ramps.

#11124 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

do weapons carry over form ball to ball?
if you use a weapon on Ball 1 (i.e. advance bonus X), will the next weapon you gain be m240? or do you always restart at the first weapon after you use them?

Yes, the next one in the rotation always gets awarded, even if you used some along the way or it's a different ball. We tried several variations during development and this seemed to be the only way that made sense as far as letting players get the more powerful weapons without dissuading them from using what they've earned.

#11125 2 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Great examples of what I am getting at are GB & TH. They are absolutely RIDDLED with quotes, music and moments from those movies. Alien pinball does not appear to have this level of movie content.

You honestly have nothing to worry about on that front. There are a ton of quotes from the films, every mode is packed with clips from the films, and all the animation and editing is done with a glitchy, analog style that mirrors the CRT/old school world of the Alien films. I think people will find it very immersive in a dark room.

This definitely isn't a "Walking Dead situation" where people felt the need to mod the show back into the game, it's not a generic space game, the films are front and center all the time. It's also not a "Stern Indian Jones situation" where you have to sit through long clips that break the flow of playing, if you want to watch the movies then turn on your TV, we keep things moving, the game always comes first.

Only you can decide if the game is for you, but I can promise if you don't buy it that it won't be because it wasn't full of the movies.

(Not taking shots at Stern to be clear, just using games people are familiar with as examples)

#11126 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

1 - There's a 2X playfield multiplier, accessible a few different ways.
2 - Yep.
3 - Six.
4 - Yes, with some restrictions. Most notably, only one mode can run at a time. The modes are very atmospheric and we didn't want to ruin that effect by having them stomp on each other. (Really, for atmosphere it would've been better to not allow stacking multiballs either, but we wanted to make a good pinball rule set, not just show the movie in a pinball cabinet.)
5 - Yes, All Out War. Scoring is highly influenced by how you performed in modes and multiballs, so you'll be unhappy with it if you just time out everything to get there.

Quoted from jonesjb:

What is the maximum combo shot in the game, trying to figure out on the layout. Anything to rival the 7 shot combo in The Shadow?

Infinite way combos are allowed, fun, and valuable. However, the rule is designed so the two most recent shots can't be reused, so you can't just left ramp-right ramp indefinitely.

#11127 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

1 - There's a 2X playfield multiplier, accessible a few different ways.
2 - Yep.
3 - Six.
4 - Yes, with some restrictions. Most notably, only one mode can run at a time. The modes are very atmospheric and we didn't want to ruin that effect by having them stomp on each other. (Really, for atmosphere it would've been better to not allow stacking multiballs either, but we wanted to make a good pinball rule set, not just show the movie in a pinball cabinet.)
5 - Yes, All Out War. Scoring is highly influenced by how you performed in modes and multiballs, so you'll be unhappy with it if you just time out everything to get there.

Infinite way combos are allowed, fun, and valuable. However, the rule is designed so the two most recent shots can't be reused, so you can't just left ramp-right ramp indefinitely.

Is it wrong that everytime I see your avatar I know a boatload of information is coming our way?

Also, the lil' ferret makes me go "awwwww" mentally everytime.

#11128 2 years ago

Really excited to have ypu coding JOE

#11129 2 years ago

Thanks guys!

#11130 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I want to see this game get into homes. For me, that is the big thing stopping me from ordering. Good to see one or two going out; what I am counting on is seeing Bowen getting his hands on one and really showcasing the game. I want one, I really do, but I want to see it in action in people's homes where the cameras are steady, the sounds are up, and the game is showcased.
Looking forward to dropping the cash. More and more, Alien is pulling me away from TZ, SS, and CFTBL...

I'm the complete opposite! The more I read about this game from pinheads and actual game designers who have put their hearts and soul into the contributions they've made....the more I want to just be in the que and get one home! Now the only problem is do i go with a standard or LE?!!?

#11131 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

It's a virtual ball lock - the up post is raised briefly to announce any awards, then the ball is released. It's working correctly.

It also turned out to be the best possible move from a gameplay perspective. Much as it's nice to be able to see three physical balls in the chamber, that ties the lock down to three shots by default with no flexibility. With a comparatively tough but satisfying shot like the upper ramp is, it's better to give all owners the chance to set it according to their players' own skill levels as a reward for making it.

#11132 2 years ago

I'm not in on the pre-order yet. But intend to do so. Have most of you ordered direct or via or Coin Taker? Which do you recommend. Please PM me if you can offer any advice... This would be my first NIB.

#11133 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'm not in on the pre-order yet. But intend to do so. Have most of you ordered direct or via or Coin Taker? Which do you recommend. Please PM me if you can offer any advice... This would be my first NIB.

I have had a great experience with Melissa at CoinTaker. I bought my Full Throttle LE through her and she has been fantastic. I also have my Alien module ordered through her. Highly recommended.

#11134 2 years ago

FYI. I was told 2-3 weeks for Alien standards from Melissa the other day.

#11135 2 years ago

Is anyone ordering direct? My understanding is that there are additional taxes i go through cointaker and have it delivered to a PA address?

#11136 2 years ago

Is that post between the flippers optional? Or will they all come with a hole drilled there.
That narrow of a flipper gap shouldn't need one.
Well maybe for some on this forum it might.

I got to the part in the video where the ball first bounced off that post and couldn't watch anymore.

#11137 2 years ago

Troll2 (resized).jpg

#11138 2 years ago

Is there a matrix showing the difference between Regular & LE ?
There have been many changes ( such as the Queen toy vs the LCD chamber) I'm not sure what is current, what is old, what is LE & what is regular.

#11139 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Is there a matrix showing the difference between Regular & LE ?
There have been many changes ( such as the Queen toy vs the LCD chamber) I'm not sure what is current, what is old, what is LE & what is regular.

Heighway Pinball Game Versions Comparison Chart (resized).jpg

#11140 2 years ago

You have a problem with my opinion Wickerman? I was simply pointing out that having a center post on a modern game with a narrow flipper gap IMO is pretty weak.

Perhaps Heighway can shed some light on the decision to use one. Instead of guys like you getting their panties in a bunch.

#11141 2 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Are the light boards being used a new design or are they based on the same design as the ones in Full Throttle?

Basically I'm wondering if there's a benefit to waiting a few months to get a game versus an early one. I just don't want to end up having to make major tweaks / fixes to the game a couple months down the road. Has a lot of reliability testing been done such as burn in testing for the light boards and for the Alien toy mech?

Thank you

#11142 2 years ago

Andrew said the Alien toy mech has been through extensive and long life testing

I should also add with no issues and working beautifully but I'm sure he'll chime in

#11143 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Andrew said the Alien toy mech has been through extensive and long life testing

Thank you. That is good to know.

#11144 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You have a problem with my opinion Wickerman? I was simply pointing out that having a center post on a modern game with a narrow flipper gap IMO is pretty weak.
Perhaps Heighway can shed some light on the decision to use one. Instead of guys like you getting their panties in a bunch.

Francis (resized).jpg

#11145 2 years ago

o-din I've seen previous posts from our European members who indicated that the post is customary in many countries. Anecdotal data, but I've seen it repeated from EU locales several times.

#11146 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is anyone ordering direct? My understanding is that there are additional taxes i go through cointaker and have it delivered to a PA address?

I have ordered direct from Heighway and it has been fantastic service and easy to deal with. I am not sure why anyone would order via any other method TBT.

#11147 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

o-din I've seen previous posts from our European members who indicated that the post is customary in many countries. Anecdotal data, but I've seen it repeated from EU locales several times.

Lol. That's hilarious. I don't know which are these "many countries" but I have never heard this tale before and never seen this post in recent pins imported to France, Germany, Belgium, UK, Sweden, Spain...

#11148 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Well, if it was up to me, I'd just include that post in the goody bag or whatever and let those that want to use it drill away. And those that don't won't have an empty hole to look at after removing it.

#11149 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, if it was up to me, I'd just include that post in the goody bag or whatever and let those that want to use it drill away. And those that don't won't have an empty hole to look at after removing it.

Are you saying the flipper space is less than T2? I love it because it is a strategic element to have it on T2.

#11150 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They already did, months ago.

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The centre mini-post is a deliberate design choice. The flipper gap isn't any wider than standard, but there's a lot of lateral movement on this game which means more outlane drain potential. The post balances things pretty well, and you can't knock the satisfaction of a successful save with it.

If that's how the designer wants it, then that's the way to play it IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside