zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 417 of 601.
#20801 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

If you show me which gear you need I will pull it from mine and print you one

#20802 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I ♡ pinside

#20803 5 years ago

Ilushka85

Heres the part he needs i was going to offer to print it as well but easier for you as you have one to model

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/412#post-4337595

#20804 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

People give Pinside grief - but I've run across some of the nicest, most helpful people EVER on this site. You sir, are a shining example of that! If you do this, I'd print several, as I suspect this part will wear out on many machines. Oh - and since I've said the same to Heighway - I will make this promise to you as well. I will happily PAY for these parts!! You name the price - it's worth a lot to me.

Here's two pictures - the first shows the Xeno mech, and the second shows the stripped gear. It's stripped at the center - the motor turns but the gear doesn't.

IMG_4480 (resized).JPGIMG_4480 (resized).JPG

IMG_4482 (resized).JPGIMG_4482 (resized).JPG

#20805 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

CT is looking out for their customers. They are sitting on Alien games right now that do not work and have long been awaiting parts to repair them (in same cases months). They see the hazards of releasing funds to HW and having 40 of their customers with potentially broken games and no support/parts to follow up with. That would create a nightmare for CT and their reputation. I applaud CT for taking caution with their customers cash. At least they either have a game or refund to offer. Much more than can be said for many of the unfortunate folks that sent cash to HW. What can you do when the only person that responded to inquiries has now left the company?

THIS!

#20806 5 years ago

I posted this on the other Thread....
Well, maybe this...... Most people know they are getting machines that will probably have some kind of trouble. CT can tell Heighway they will take the machines COD. They can also tell their customers they take machines "as is"..... Just a thought....

#20807 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They can also tell their customers they take machines "as is"

Sorry but that is a flawed idea on many different levels. I wouldn't do it if I were Cointaker and I damn sure wouldn't do it as a customer. Would you do it?

#20808 5 years ago

Just outsource deep root to manufacture it?

#20809 5 years ago

I'd be willing to re-engineer the xeno head mech for everyone if it comes to that. If @kneissl's breaks, I'm all over it like stink on shit.

#20810 5 years ago

you need to replace that delrin one with a brass one. I bet they come from ondrives.com

#20811 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Would you do it?

I thought people were doing it now. They are buying machines, and still want them, even though they know they will not function 100%

#20812 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

You totally just redeemed yourself for the scorpions comment lolol. Very awesome of you!!

#20813 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I thought people were doing it now. They are buying machines, and still want them, even though they know they will not function 100%

That brings up a good question. For those people who have money with Cointaker, would you prefer a refund or a game, on the condition that Cointaker is not responsible for any warranty work?

#20814 5 years ago

Pinocchio.

Quoted from frolic:

So who is left in Wales?

#20815 5 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

So how do the US customers with money down on an Alien pinball that is ready to ship feel about CT's refusal to pay for the shipment?
No supplier in their right mind would ship the container without payment regardless of what has gone on before.
I hope it can be resolved but what could Heighway do for CT to released payment?

Payment terms of 30 days or more is pretty standard practice, certainly for businesses operating in the UK. I would say it is unreasonable for HP to expect full, upfront payment from a customer who is a) ordering 30-40+ machines, b) has already ordered X machines in the past and therefore established themselves as a trustworthy partner.

As a rule of thumb, companies operating hand to mouth don't tend to last very long because it's a vicious circle. Suppliers doing business with them will look up their credit rating and decide not to give them preferential terms, which leads to a knock-on situation where the company itself can't afford to offer terms itself.

EDIT: I don't know if this is a recent development but I can't see Alien for sale anywhere on the Cointaker website.

#20816 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They can also tell their customers they take machines "as is"..... Just a thought....

Even with all the "ifs" associated with that idea, it's hard to imagine someone actually writing the page on their website:

"$8,000 plus options, but it may not work out of the box. If you have any problems, you're just outta luck. Some folks have had no problems though, so your odds might be ok".

I have to say, while I am deeply disappointed that I won't be getting an Alien LE anymore, I am just as deeply impressed with the way CT has handled the situation. Melissa was very honest and forthright with me, and I am convinced that they made a difficult call to protect their business and their customers.

They're doing it right, and I'll definitely be a customer again in the future.

#20817 5 years ago

Yup, CT has taken down the machine. In essence, it's dead. *in the U.S.

#20818 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You suggested they buy them "as is". That's not what people are doing now or have been.

As already reported, many of those people have return those games to Cointaker for a full refund. And it would seem Cointaker is now stuck with those machines.
Without some kind recourse, why take the chance especially during such desperate times for Heighways's future. Without a significant price reduction, your offer wouldn't even appeal to the extreme fringe hobbyist.

#20819 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You suggested they buy them "as is". That's not what people are doing now or have been.
As already reported, many of those people have return those games to Cointaker for a full refund. And it would seem Cointaker is now stuck with them.
Without some kind recourse, why take the chance especially during such desperate times for Heighways's future. Without a significant price reduction your offer would only appeal to the extreme fringe customer.

I would have done exactly what CT did. In fact, I kinda feel like they bent over backwards to make it work. It costs them money and customers if parts can’t be found, customer support time lost, and a poor reputation. They didn’t make the game but their name is on the invoice. That means something. I am super curious what they will do with the bum games though. How much is CT out? 5k each? That sucks!

I do kinda hope they fire sale them somehow, at least to recoup, and make customers sign a document that there is NO support and they assume all the risk. But even that, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. What a huge CF.

#20820 5 years ago

Thread needs a new pole.

A. Getting a refund from CT
B. Rolling-over my deposit into a different game through CT
C. Curling up on the floor, sobbing, and drinking myself to death

#20821 5 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Thread needs a new pole.
A. Getting a refund from CT
B. Rolling-over my deposit into a different game through CT
C. Curling up on the floor, sobbing, and drinking myself to death

Started out with C, then moved to A.

Thought about B a LOT, but realized I could score a Funhouse AND a RFM for the money. Anybody in the PNW looking to part with either one???

#20822 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

As already reported, many of those people have return those games to Cointaker for a full refund. And it would seem Cointaker is now stuck with those machines.
Without some kind recourse, why take the chance especially during such desperate times for Heighways's future. Without a significant price reduction, your offer wouldn't even appeal to the extreme fringe customer.

Even if CT suggested this sort of thing, I'm not sure how it would stand up in a US court? I have no experience but I assume like most first-world countries consumers have certain protections that supercede any terms a company may seek to impose. In essence you can't waive away your statutory rights.

In the UK, even if you're selling something as "used" as a business you have obligations regards its "fitness for purpose". In other words, you can't just go around selling stuff to people saying "sorry it's sold as seen!".

With the best will in the world CT might (and seem to) decide that the availability of spare parts and response times make continuing to do business with HP untenable.

#20823 5 years ago

I thought my LE was going to come anyday now.. haha.. well its over. I will likely ask for my deposit of 2k back. Check out my new video reviews, more to come! Just getting started!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJE2NBhlqLAvAF2IZ1IPDGA/featured?view_as=subscriber

#20824 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Most people know they are getting machines that will probably have some kind of trouble. CT can tell Heighway they will take the machines COD. They can also tell their customers they take machines "as is"..... Just a thought....

I know you mean no harm, but I have to disagree with you on this one (except may be as last resort).

What you are suggesting is exactly what I accepted and signed for when I pre-ordered Nemo and Wooly. But it was clear from the beginning ! It would no be a production machine, but a very small run and labor of love. I accepted the risks and shortcomings from day 1, and I have no regrets.

I don't think the majority of Alien customers would be ready for this.

#20825 5 years ago

I'm interested in approx how many are in the US right now...

#20826 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I don't think the majority of Alien customers would be ready for this.

I only meant that maybe some people would want the game bad enough to take it as is. I'm sure CT could sell the games with problems to someone who would love to work on it. Just a thought...er, I guess not a good one....

#20827 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

That brings up a good question. For those people who have money with Cointaker, would you prefer a refund or a game, on the condition that Cointaker is not responsible for any warranty work?

This is the situation that I'm in, and I'm waiting to see if I can get the game. Seems like if something breaks (or doesn't work out of the box), people here have shown they will help fellow Alien owners.

The only way I'll get my money back is if Cointaker calls or emails me and tells me they decided they aren't going to take the risk and cancels all orders. I pre ordered through them last summer, and paid in full maybe 6 or so weeks ago.

#20828 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

People give Pinside grief - but I've run across some of the nicest, most helpful people EVER on this site. You sir, are a shining example of that! If you do this, I'd print several, as I suspect this part will wear out on many machines. Oh - and since I've said the same to Heighway - I will make this promise to you as well. I will happily PAY for these parts!! You name the price - it's worth a lot to me.
Here's two pictures - the first shows the Xeno mech, and the second shows the stripped gear. It's stripped at the center - the motor turns but the gear doesn't.

Can you pm me ? I’m going to pull mine today.

#20829 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I only meant that maybe some people would want the game bad enough to take it as is. I'm sure CT could sell the games with problems to someone who would love to work on it. Just a thought...er, I guess not a good one....

That's essentially what I did when I accepted my game back in October. The handwriting was already on the wall and I expected I was going to have to troubleshoot this game on my own...especially down the road. I've been lucky so far but if the node boards don't hold up over time that could be a big issue.

#20830 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I would have done exactly what CT did. In fact, I kinda feel like they bent over backwards to make it work. It costs them money and customers if parts can’t be found, customer support time lost, and a poor reputation. They didn’t make the game but their name is on the invoice. That means something. I am super curious what they will do with the bum games though. How much is CT out? 5k each? That sucks!
I do kinda hope they fire sale them somehow, at least to recoup, and make customers sign a document that there is NO support and they assume all the risk. But even that, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. What a huge CF.

I agree 100% that CT actually bent over backwards to get this game over here and bc they did, I had the opportunity to own the best new pin out there. It's bc of that dedication that I'm going to CT for new games (almost about to pull the trigger on IM - going to try it out today to see if the sweet layout effects and sound can get me over the hump that is the music).

It's too bad it didn't work out but Melissa and CT atleast gave us a chance.

#20831 5 years ago

I have limited experience but more than most with the home use reliability of an Alien pin. Like any solid state electronics, if you get past infant mortality you will be fine for a long while (unless the solid state board has cheap Chinese electrolytic capacitors which the IOboard does not).
So across two machines over nearly a year I have had one IOboard go south. This was not a production machine and it went after playing more than 600 games at a show. Once replaced it worked till it went to it's real owner.
There is a design defect that mounts the two Xeno targets too close to the jaw so that when it lowers jaw rubs the back of the targets. Removing some material from the tops of the targets and bracket fixes this (you'd never notice this). If you don't eventually it will stress the $5 servo that moves the jaw and it will fail (I speak from experience). I have replaced mine.
Other than that all works. In my experience (which is more like home use than location) it is as reliable as any of the 25 machines that has passed through here in the last 12 years. Better than many, it is a very sturdy build.
It would be wise to buy an extra IO board if you are still considering trying to acquire and Alien pin.

Other than personal experience I have no knowledge of where this is going to go. I find the Alien pin fun to play. It is a bit eccentric but once I figured out what it wants I find that it is one of my favorite games.

I will be very sad if the current owners do not find a way to deal with the problems and realize the potential of a product that is proven fun. On the other hand I will end up with a very collectable pin that you will have to pry out of my dead hands.

David

#20832 5 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

It would be wise to buy an extra IO board if you are still considering trying to acquire and Alien pin.

Any idea where to get these?

#20833 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Any idea where to get these?

I've been trying to get a couple.. I don't want to reverse engineer that beast. Everything else looks repairable/replaceable.

#20834 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

As am I...I'd wager <100 at this point?

#20835 5 years ago

Let me rephrase - is there anyone besides Heighway that sells 'em?

#20836 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I have paid almost 100% in full for one and they don't contact me or return my e-mails does that count?

#20837 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I thought my LE was going to come anyday now.. haha.. well its over. I will likely ask for my deposit of 2k back. Check out my new video reviews, more to come! Just getting started!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJE2NBhlqLAvAF2IZ1IPDGA/featured?view_as=subscriber

Yep

#20838 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Seems like a big part of the problem is spare parts, and a manual/schematics. Some way to support the machines post sale.

I suspect if Heighway did this:

-produced service manual
-produced and delivered a batch of spare parts
-had a dedicated tech support person on a dedicated system (some sort of ticket system)

A lot of good could come of that. And in all seriousness, how can anyone continue to deal with a company that did not have the above in place?

I would like to think that when you are having manufacturing and funding issues, that the one thing you would try to do is stay on top of service and give people the resources (info and parts) they need to repair their machines. People expect issues with new machines and certianly with new companies, it is how you respond to those that sets the tone for the success of the company and clearly Heighway's response to issues has been pretty poor for a long, long time.

If we were hearing a lot about the game plays great (which we have), and when people had issues that HP was responsive (which we have not), plenty of the folks here would put their pitchforks and torches away, and would be willing to be patient and give them time to get games out. The support needs are only going to grow, IF they get more games out, and if they are not keeping up with it now (and lost the one guy who at least seemed to be responsive), hard to see it getting better anytime soon, so why anyone would take the risk unless you have already given them money?

Other then Jpop, has any company been this lax in support? How is there no manual? Not saying you need a JJP 'war and peace' size tome, but is there any other game out there with no manual? Do Houdini and spooky games have have manuals? I assume AFMr, and MMr original manuals cover a lot, but are there updated ones for the changes in electronics? I suspect the answer to these questions is yes.

Love this theme, and have heard a lot of good talk about game play and theme integration, but, as I continue to sit on the sideline watching this clusterf***, my hand keeps pulling further and further away from wallet.

#20839 5 years ago
Quoted from CalibrunKnight:

Yup, CT has taken down the machine. In essence, it's dead. *in the U.S.

More for Europe then

Got my LE this month, after waiting 2.5 years. Fantastic package, the sound is just outstanding, even with the standard subwoofer.

#20840 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think it's a very good thought Ted! If this really is the death knell for Heighway, I expect people will be lining up to snag one of the existing games. And rightly so, by all accounts it's an excellent game and the rarity will make it very valuable. People will figure out how to keep them running. This is no box of lights like Magic Girl.

Quoted from legionsoup:

This is the situation that I'm in, and I'm waiting to see if I can get the game. Seems like if something breaks (or doesn't work out of the box), people here have shown they will help fellow Alien owners.
The only way I'll get my money back is if Cointaker calls or emails me and tells me they decided they aren't going to take the risk and cancels all orders. I pre ordered through them last summer, and paid in full maybe 6 or so weeks ago.

Cointaker is in weird predicament. They could probably buy the container full and sell them as is at a nice profit if Heighway goes under. However, they're smart not to take shipment on the games if they have to support them in the normal way as a distributor.

#20841 5 years ago

For what its worth.. nitro also hasnt talked to heighway for some time either i just found out.

#20842 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

They could probably buy the container full and sell them as is at a nice profit

At this point I'd only buy COD!

#20843 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Let me rephrase - is there anyone besides Heighway that sells 'em?

Not that I am aware of. HP should acknowledge the precarious position that they are in without any tangible support structure (especially in North America). They can help us and help their cause if they just ordered 20% more IOBoards in their next order and sell them to whoever wants them for a modest markup. At this point I am just an owner of an Alien pinball like everybody else. There are more sound assets in the build than are being used and HP has everything they need to make a good final release.
Anything I say at this point is as an owner of an Alien pinball.

I still have some hope (but some have called me an optimist).

ddt

#20844 5 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Not that I am aware of. HP should acknowledge the precarious position that they are in without any tangible support structure (especially in North America). They can help us and help their cause if they just ordered 20% more IOBoards in their next order and sell them to whoever wants them for a modest markup. At this point I am just an owner of an Alien pinball like everybody else. There are more sound assets in the build than are being used and HP has everything they need to make a good final release.
ddt

Theres also a 1.2 beta apparently... althought i have not seen it.

#20845 5 years ago

This is too bad, I already told my wife I won another pinball machine and its on the way.. (trying to hide the cost of my machines from her). Oh well, guess Ill tell her the prize was taken back.

#20846 5 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

There are more sound assets in the build than are being used and HP has everything they need to make a good final release.

I really appreciate your reply's here. But even more - THANKS for making Alien one of the most BADASS sounding pins....ever!

Quoted from daudioguy:

I still have some hope too. ...mostly. I really want those folks who've paid to get their pins. Alien is fun

Quoted from Ilushka85:

Theres also a 1.2 beta apparently... althought i have not seen it.

I PM'd with ferret today (don't think he'll mind me mentioning), and yes - version 1.2 of the code is being tested, and he 'likes what he's seeing'. ....more 'fling' perhaps? ...hmmmm.

#20847 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I really appreciate your reply's here. But even more - THANKS for making Alien one of the most BADASS sounding pins....ever!

I still have some hope too. ...mostly. I really want those folks who've paid to get their pins. Alien is fun

I PM'd with ferret today (don't think he'll mind me mentioning), and yes - version 1.2 of the code is being tested, and he 'likes what he's seeing'. ....more 'fling' perhaps? ...hmmmm.

He is making the magnet fling so strong that it will propel the container of Alien pins to the USA!

#20848 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

This is too bad, I already told my wife I won another pinball machine and its on the way.. (trying to hide the cost of my machines from her). Oh well, guess Ill tell her the prize was taken back.

Number 1 - this is a great idea. Gonna have to steal it.
Number 2 - "another"?? How many times have you used this? lol

#20849 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Good luck with that dude, that doesn’t sound suspicious or anything! Lol

#20850 5 years ago

SOOOOOO glad I got out of this train wreck while I still could. Thank goodness. Dream Theme, but not worth a 8k brick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,999 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 417 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/417 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.