• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 493.
#11701 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Some real first world problems right here. This is hilarious.

Quoted from jwilson:

Congrats, you guys managed to find something to nitpick. I think this is a new low.
At least it's been civil.

Hey now, I personally find this to be a very important issue and it's upsetting that others do not.

I'm sure once people are informed enough, it will get every bit as much traction as:

Omg-another-preorder!-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate
Playfield-art-gate
Andrew's-prior-business-history-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate redux
No-Sigourney-Weaver-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-yet-again-gate
Refund-gate
Beacon-gate
Weak-pop-bumper-gate
Doesn't-sound-like-an-80s-machine-gate

(I feel like I'm still missing a few...)

Seriously, the game looks freakin' awesome and every bit what I'd hoped for. Props to everyone working on it.

#11702 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Is it for sure going to be revealed then?

I don't know, just wondering. Seems like a good event for a reveal.

#11703 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm for "dumbing" or "smarting" it to whatever level allows them to sell a boatload of them and keep the company in the $$$ to make more games. Going all hardcore balls to the wall might be great for super hardcore testosterone drenched pinsiders but if the numbers don't crunch to = more sales, it's pointless. There has to be a balance.
Randomize the message.

Yeah that adult themed, bloody & violent Walking Dead sure was a real poor selling dud for Stern huh? There is a market for this stuff, and if the gameplay & code are stellar, the majority of people aren't going to care (which seems like the case here).

#11704 2 years ago

Aurich, I'm so psyched to get mine to put out in NYC, I can hardly contain myself. I almost want to bring it to my apt. I'm hoping I can't refuse but to get a second. Thanks for and teams hard work. Looks like it was worth it.

#11705 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Walking Dead sure was a real poor selling dud for Stern huh

it might have helped that it was/is(?) currently the #1 show on television...

#11706 2 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Aurich, I'm so psyched to get mine to put out in NYC, I can hardly contain myself. I almost want to bring it to my apt. I'm hoping I can't refuse but to get a second. Thanks for and teams hard work. Looks like it was worth it.

pasted_image (resized).png

#11707 2 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Hey now, I personally find this to be a very important issue and it's upsetting that others do not.
I'm sure once people are informed enough, it will get every bit as much traction as:
Omg-another-preorder!-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate
Playfield-art-gate
Andrew's-prior-business-history-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-gate redux
No-Sigourney-Weaver-gate
Shipping-is-delayed-yet-again-gate
Refund-gate
Beacon-gate
Weak-pop-bumper-gate
Doesn't-sound-like-an-80s-machine-gate
(I feel like I'm still missing a few...)
Seriously, the game looks freakin' awesome and every bit what I'd hoped for. Props to everyone working on it.

Love it!

#11708 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Wow - Personal attack? Really? Its a PINBALL MACHINE.

Lighten up, it was just a phrase. You know the point I was trying to make, and you are blowing that out of proportion for attention.

Do I believe anyone is going to cry over the message: No
Do I believe anyone is going to run away and hide under their bed when they see the message: No
Do I think anyone is going to quit high school, develop a drug habit, and commit suicide all from the lack of self-esteem caused by this pin: No

I was simply saying a different message might be a bit less personal in an arcade setting.....but to tell you the truth it was just an opinion and in the great scheme of things, I could care less what eventually ends up there.

I can't believe this is even a topic worth the debate. I stated my preference, and others stated theirs, but all of the rest of the insults and jabber is just crazy with so much other stuff going on with this pin that we could be talking about.

Gotta love this place........

#11710 2 years ago

Lotta expected chest pumping going on here but I certainly am secure enough to say that I don't find seeing "YOU FAILED" every three minutes fun. At all. And my favorite game is TWD which kicks my ass consistently but doesn't do a repetitive, video-gamey "YOU FAILED" after every mode attempt.

It just seems to take you out of the whole movie feel (I won't use the "I" word ... just a splash of blood and skull symbol would say it all.

I LIKE the way it doesn't scream "jackpot" during the multiballs. I'd much rather here the voices yelling in a firefight.

So at the end of a mode attempt you'll either die (lose the ball) or go on with the fight... there wouldn't be a guy standing over you holding a big sign saying "YOU FAILED".

Just seems to take you out of the mood and add an arcade quality that the rest of the game nicely does not. Why stick to the whole movie feel for everything else, including the multiballs and then lose the feel every mode attempt with a jarring "YOU FAILED"?

Just doesn't seem to fit... to me anyways. Plus as often as it will happen (which is not a bad thing) it seems mindlessly repetitive - while the rest of the game fortunately does not.

You guys can now send me my "attempted to make a point in a forum thread" consolation trophy that I can display in my safe place

#11711 2 years ago

Good posts above (except for yours Ted ). ...and I will agree with Manic here. Anything too repetitive gets old real quick - especially in the home setting IMHO. To be honest, that is one of the reasons I sold Ghostbusters. Well, that - and to make room for Alien.

#11712 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Lotta expected chest pumping going on here but I certainly am secure enough to say that I don't find seeing "YOU FAILED" every three minutes fun. At all. And my favorite game is TWD which kicks my ass consistently but doesn't do a repetitive, video-gamey "YOU FAILED" after every mode attempt.
It just seems to take you out of the whole movie feel (I won't use the "I" word ... just a splash of blood and skull symbol would say it all.
I LIKE the way it doesn't scream "jackpot" during the multiballs. I'd much rather here the voices yelling in a firefight.
So at the end of a mode attempt you'll either die (lose the ball) or go on with the fight... there wouldn't be a guy standing over you holding a big sign saying "YOU FAILED".
Just seems to take you out of the mood and add an arcade quality that the rest of the game nicely does not. Why stick to the whole movie feel for everything else, including the multiballs and then lose the feel every mode attempt with a jarring "YOU FAILED"?
Just doesn't seem to fit... to me anyways. Plus as often as it will happen (which is not a bad thing) it seems mindlessly repetitive - while the rest of the game fortunately does not.
You guys can now send me my "attempted to make a point in a forum thread" consolation trophy that I can display in my safe place

Nailed it.

#11713 2 years ago

That would be a first!

#11714 2 years ago

I actually don't mind the "You Failed" message, just mix it up so I'm not seeing it constantly. I suck and will see it a whole more that I'd like to admit. How about adding "you suck" "you fucken suck" "you worthless POS" "please die" "you're dead" "Alien dinner" "facehuggin sperm bank" (does that last one make any sense??

I'm good with a variety and I can handle the insults.

#11715 2 years ago

Nice to not be talking about ghosting playfields, huh?

#11716 2 years ago

RE: "You Failed"... not really sure what the big deal is, other than it does seem kind of like something from an FPS video game. Not sure everyone who enjoys pinball really digs FPS shooters & that sort of interaction. But in the end, this is Heighway's game and for me, it's not a big deal. It could be one of their signature messages that they put in all games

#11717 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

...you're ugly too...

#11718 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I actually don't mind the "You Failed" message, just mix it up so I'm not seeing it constantly. I suck and will see it a whole more that I'd like to admit. How about adding "you suck" "you fucken suck" "you worthless POS" "please die" "you're dead" "Alien dinner" "facehuggin sperm bank" (does that last one make any sense??

Then it sounds like you need a RZ pinball! That'll scratch your masochistic itch.

#11719 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Then it sounds like you need a RZ pinball! That'll scratch your masochistic itch.

I do like the theme, I just didn't like the layout.

#11720 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

RE: "You Failed"... not really sure what the big deal is, other than it does seem kind of like something from an FPS video game. Not sure everyone who enjoys pinball really digs FPS shooters & that sort of interaction. But in the end, this is Heighway's game and for me, it's not a big deal. It could be one of their signature messages that they put in all games

lol Maybe we should get some buttons made for shows "Alien Pinball - YOU FAILED!"

It's not a huge deal - but it's a forum so we talk. HP has been the best at communicating and actually listening to some of the more sane suggestions from the group so I think it's helpful... somehow.

#11721 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Is it for sure going to be revealed then?

Yes, because that's what "fingers crossed" means...

Just everyone being eager and hopeful. No official statement one way or the other from Heighway AFAIK. I'm sure they'll show as soon as they can.

#11722 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Quoted from luvthatapex2:
Curious, is there going to be a tournament mode or competitive mode?
Both Full Throttle and ALIEN already support a tournament mode feature. It can be enabled in the operator's menu, or you can hold the left flipper for 5 seconds before starting a game and it will go into competition mode for the next game only.
This removes all random features. For ALIEN this means Muthur Mystery will award items in a fixed sequence. Presently it just gives points every time, but this will probably evolve.

It actually does more than that in Alien. Two mode scenes (Find Jonesy, Acid Burn) and two multiballs (Ambush, Save Newt) have semi-random shot selections in normal play. These are all de-randomized in tournament mode.

#11723 2 years ago

Have more games been shipped or have only two gone out?

#11724 2 years ago

Does anyone know the major difference between sending the deposit and paying in full difference is? If you pay in full does that mean you will receive the game sooner? Is that the only difference?

#11725 2 years ago

Yah, the way I understood it was paid in full get priority over the deposits.

#11726 2 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Does anyone know the major difference between sending the deposit and paying in full difference is? If you pay in full does that mean you will receive the game sooner? Is that the only difference?

Paid in full gets first run, so when you pay, you go to the end of that run. Same with half-pay...if you do that, then you go to the end of that run. For me, the decision on how much to pay comes down to a couple of things. 1. While I have every faith in Heighway being a class act, there have been a lot of folks burned by other companies the past couple of years, and putting down a full deposit does have some risk no matter who you are dealing with. 2. Again, I am sure they will stand behind their product 100%, but I would rather be in a bit later run to make sure any kinks or bugs are taken care of ahead of time. But the decision to go that route means I will have to wait while others enjoy their pins! lol

#11727 2 years ago

Can't wait to play this at TPF. How many games are going to be there? I hope three so the lines are manageable.

Eric

#11728 2 years ago

I've heard three will be there...but I'm not an official spokesman - just a tipsy Pinsider.

#11729 2 years ago

Well it's been just over a week since I first saw and played Alien and the game has been on my mind ever since. I finally broke down and put down a deposit tonight on the standard! I really think this game is something special and I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews of the game from TPF. I can tell that Andrew and his crew are passionate about this game and really put their all into making it great and I'm excited to be a part of it!

#11730 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Gotta love this place........

Don't be so sensitive. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's..........

even if no one agrees with you!

#11731 2 years ago

Whatever happened to the Dave sanders interview that was supposed to be posted last Friday?

#11732 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Whatever happened to the Dave sanders interview that was supposed to be posted last Friday?

We shot some additional footage for it the other day to make it more visually interesting, it's in the editing phase today.

#11733 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Well it's been just over a week since I first saw and played Alien and the game has been on my mind ever since. I finally broke down and put down a deposit tonight on the standard! I really think this game is something special and I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews of the game from TPF. I can tell that Andrew and his crew are passionate about this game and really put their all into making it great and I'm excited to be a part of it!

awesome Mike!

#11734 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Don't be so sensitive. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's..........
even if no one agrees with you!

Not sensitive at all, and it doesn't matter to me if anyone agrees with me or not. I'm still secure in my manhood. The comment was in reference to the fact that we can't just give our opinions and leave it at that...it always has to twist into some sort of strange argument/personal attack. Take your comment for example.......

#11735 2 years ago

Can't recall if this has been answered before, but it's there a headphone jack on Alien?

#11736 2 years ago

Do we know what the Blade El Lighting or the Fiber Optic Ramp lights look like yet? Highways website is pretty weak to start with and right now all they have is blank place holder pics for their accessories.

#11737 2 years ago

I haven't seen the Fiber Optic ramp lighting but the Madison game has the blade EL lighting on the inner side panels and it looks awesome! it's also a great source of supplemental lighting if you play in the dark.

Check out pics and video in this thread if you want to see what it looks like:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aliens-have-landed-in-madison

#11738 2 years ago

Never mind!!

#11739 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I haven't seen the Fiber Optic ramp lighting but the Madison game has the blade EL lighting on the inner side panels and it looks awesome! it's also a great source of supplemental lighting if you play in the dark.
Check out pics and video in this thread if you want to see what it looks like:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aliens-have-landed-in-madison

They also had the blade EL lighting on a game at Expo. It looks great in person and i fully agree with everyone who's said it's a "must have" upgrade.

#11740 2 years ago

alien pin looks very good so far, its gonna need a few tweaks of course. some of the complainers need to go revisit bm66 code thread. I don't see stern on there answering questions, all I see are complaints about when the next code will be released and the empty promises from Gomez.

#11741 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

If you don't like the "you failed" message there's a foolproof way to avoid it...

#11742 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

If you don't like the "you failed" message there's a foolproof way to avoid it...

#11743 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Well since we have so far seen *nobody* avoid it even ONCE...ever.... the only foolproof way would be not to buy or play the machine.

But I'd hate to use this "foolproof" option

#11744 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I was simply saying a different message might be a bit less personal in an arcade setting

rs_560x415-150107143918-1024.Oregon-Trail-Game-MS-Dos.jl.010715 (resized).jpg

#11745 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Well since we have so far seen *nobody* avoid it even ONCE...ever....

We have some theories about that, the game isn't quite as hard as "no one will ever finish a mode". Amongst other things we think it need to be a little more clear that you need to shoot the airlock to finish out the mode.

#11746 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We have some theories about that, the game isn't quite as hard as "no one will ever finish a mode". Amongst other things we think it need to be a little more clear that you need to shoot the airlock to finish out the mode.

FWIW I've finished modes on the game when I've actively tried for them. When I played during the Deadflip stream I basically ignored them as my goal was primarily to show off the flow and the shots and rack up combos, and try to get multi-ball when I could. If I would have played in my normal playing style I would have been trapping up and playing in a far more controlled manner vs. shooting on the fly. I figured I'd save everyone the boredom of that... I really don't think any of the other guys were focused on completing modes either.

I think as software gets more polished on the game it will do a better job of letting you know what shots you need to hit.-particularly using the 3rd playfield screen to do so. I think getting the production light boards installed in the Madison game (they are on their way) will also help a ton as we couldn't always rely on the lights to tell us what we were supposed to hit.

#11747 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Amongst other things we think it need to be a little more clear that you need to shoot the airlock to finish out the mode.

Really looking forward to seeing how the airlock LCD screen is further implemented. Seems like it's almost at alpha code right now with that small timer in the upper left corner. Lots of potential there though. Seems like it would be best utilized to display critical priority info, timers, etc. Care to share any ideas on using it?

Also had a question about the modes like Find Jonesy, where the orange insert is moving around & your bonus value get penalized for hit hitting blue shots. From watching the videos, sometimes its hard to find exactly where that orange insert is, but maybe it's easier in person. I'm aware you're still working on the coding of lighting effects.

Also if you keep hitting blue shots (not intentionally), is there any other shot to get those penalty points back? I'm guessing you keep hitting the orange shots to rank up value, perhaps extending the timer, then hit the airlock scoop to finish mode & collect reward? It's probably similar to Acid Burn as well correct?

#11748 2 years ago

OK, if one were to order an Alien today -3/8/2017, from Heighway's US distributor, when is a realistic date to expect this to be in their game room?

#11749 2 years ago

Ha...played that game many times a lifetime and many operating systems ago. But you have to admit, it is much better than "you shit yourself to death"...........

#11750 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Really looking forward to seeing how the airlock LCD screen is further implemented. Seems like it's almost at alpha code right now with that small timer in the upper left corner. Lots of potential there though. Seems like it would be best utilized to display critical priority info, timers, etc. Care to share any ideas on using it?

Yeah, I'd agree about the alpha status, because it was a late addition to the game we didn't develop a lot of things with it in mind. The way I see it there are some obvious main ideas for it, such as :

- central place for timers, move them off the other LCD and have one spot to check, like TSPP does with the TV
- it might be handy to show your current weapon there, you can't see what you're on if the main LCD is say showing Tunnel Hunt's custom animations
- act like a custom light/flasher for the scoop, like right now it does the eject icon to help tell you the ball is coming out, it should probably do more for end of mode to indicate you need to shoot the scoop
- and then of course it's replaced the Queen sculpt, so during the times it was meant to rotate to show her we want more of a Queen show going on with the screen

That's the off the top of my head stuff. You don't want to overly rely on it, it's not a huge screen, but I think it's going to be be super useful. Definitely will get more updates.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside