• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 493.
#8551 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I got games in in both modes suffice to say that the Alien mode is every bit as Alien as the Aliens Mode is Aliens.
As for production im pretty lax but i would like to see games start shipping this year
Come on, cat
--Jeff

I played a few games in each mode, and agree with this 100%. I was real blown away by how well the game captured the tone of each film, and by the game as a whole. My expectations were exceeded, by a lot (and they were high - our daughter's name is Ripley for crying out loud).

#8552 2 years ago

One word for greatness of a pin. Immersion!

#8553 2 years ago

I also can't say enough about Aliens! Indeed, a few bumps, but all to be worked out.
Andrew and his team must have drank all the coffee there to keep up, as the energy and enthusiasm was
Unmatched.
But I do have something to say on the game. I'd call this a strategic game, like we haven't seen before!
Gameplay rules shine in the way players want. This is not a game you play and walk away from.
It's like chess to checkers. A user competitive game among friends or alone in battle.
It succeeds in this way different than others.
It's so much more than shoot the blinking light. Strategic play will give this game tenure and respect once more people
get to play.
The toys are great, the screen clips integrate beautifully, and in chatting with Andrew about lighting
....thats not even been touched as to what's coming!

It's not Batman, or Dialed in. It's not better or worse, it's just so creatively different, that I'd say it's the most challenging!

Based on guessing Batman, which will be Nostalgic fun, and Creative code, Dialed in for fun, it's Aliens for a challenge, a battle,
and the endless fun of repeat game, point, mode, and battle strategy!

I get the feeling when these start getting in locations, tournaments, and homes, more will share their unique strategies in play.

IMO, if I had all 3 new games, I'd play dialed in for fun, Batman for nostalgia, and Aliens for battle.

There's so much to get excited about on this game, I'd need months of play to scratch the surface.

I honestly feel this a game that is needed in every collection, for what it offers in brilliant play.

Now, which games to sell to make room.....

Damn great job! Thanks to all at Highway and on the team.
Your passion shows, and we are all rewarded with an instant classic of endless challenges!

#8554 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This game looks like fun. I may be in for one once shipping begins. As I stated before, I don't think it will be ready until 2017. But I also say, let's not rush them. If it takes longer so be it. Get it right.

Yeah, and let's not act like saying that you don't think it will be ready until 2017 is being critical. It's not. If anything it is being optimistic if you think it's going to be ready in early 2017.

I love that post by Ferret on the code. Sounds sweet.

#8555 2 years ago

Damn looks great and the commitment to code is definitely there! Will be keeping an eye on how things progress...

#8556 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

A word on lighting effects in the game. If you thought they were nice at Expo, thank you, but you literally have seen nothing yet. I've intentionally been deferring "decorative" lighting (the cool swooshes and sweeps and explosions of lights that we all love) until my physical game arrives. Brian's simulator is fantastic, but it's not able to represent things like lamp diffusion, blockages by plastics and metal, etc. Brian and I have done some decorative effects anyway, but there is much more to be done to really make the game sparkle (literally!). Once my game arrives (maybe this week, fingers crossed!), I expect to spend a lot of time focusing on lighting effects, because the whole team agrees those are a big part of providing the great atmosphere that the game demands.

Wow, this is really cool. The possibilities with programmable LEDs are so great, but I have yet to see a game really take full advantage and do something totally theatrical. Looking forward to what you all come up with!

#8557 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Thanks that's good news to hear.
I'm hoping that they alter the SFX to suit each film, for example the xenomorph head targets which prompt the alien getting blasted sound effect from Aliens - it would be nice if this was better suited to the vibe of Alien.

There's a ton of stuff that is tailored to which film you're in, but at a certain point you can go insane with that. The game is about both films, and there's bleed through and blending. You can still start Find Newt multiball even if you're in the Alien branch for instance.

The priority is always going to be about using the best assets we have, and not always trying fit an artificial balance.

Still, your point is well taken, and we are following that idea in a lot of places.

#8558 2 years ago

Reveal was well done. Having hi-rez pics, a cool video, prices for add-ons and a new website was/is spectacular. Only saw one video of gameplay from Expo, and nobody realized so much of the coding was done until Ferret just stated 90 percent. When can we see a writeup of the rules? I'd love to start thinking about the general game and all the ins, outs and what have you's. .

#8559 2 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Wow, this is really cool. The possibilities with programmable LEDs are so great, but I have yet to see a game really take full advantage and do something totally theatrical. Looking forward to what you all come up with!

I didn't want to interrupt Andrew during the seminar, but any time he was referring to "individually addressable LEDs" just to be clear he was leaving out the phrase RGB. Every lamp on the game is a color changer.

We've talked about a ton of ideas for how to take advantage of that, but as Joe/Ferret mentioned he really needs to have the physical game in front of him to be able to try them out.

#8560 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly don't think many people were intentionally picking a movie, they might not have realized they even could. You know how it is, you're at a show or a party, you step up to a brand new game, and there's a certain amount of pressure to just jam the launch button and play.
I actually was thinking we might need to spell it out just a little bit more. For home use it's totally fine, but location players might be missing it. On the other hand you can't force people to read instructions, it plays just fine if you jam it. I *think* Joe has it set to switch between films as the default selection every other game.

People on location can barely find the start button. They never realize they can pick a song on ACDC or choose sides on Transformers. They won't get it - it is what it is ...let the home players enjoy it.

#8561 2 years ago

After that video posted in this thread played, this one also started which I'd not seen before:

#8562 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Wow, I just caught up on a few hundred messages from the weekend. Glad to see so much excitement about the game. Thank you to the many people who came up to me at Expo with feedback on the game... it's an extraordinary thrill to produce something like this and hear/see what people think about it.
A few random comments...
Someone asked what Lifecycle was. If you examine the playfield, you'll see that many major shots have an additional insert besides the arrow, with icons for Egg, Facehugger, Chestburster, and Xeno. These inserts light up in that exact sequence (representing the lifecycle of an Alien). Completing that 4 shot sequence (no timer or combo requirement) completes a Lifecycle. Your progress is indicated on the playfield inserts, and also shown on the on-screen status when nothing more important (modes, multiballs) takes priority. The on-screen status also tells you what happens when you complete X Lifecycles. The biggest reason to complete Lifecycles is to progress towards Save Newt Multiball, one of the four primary multiballs in the game. However, completing Lifecycles also has other side effects, such as increasing the spinner value, increasing the value of Ambush Multiball, and progressing toward Extra Ball lit. And the Lifecycle shots award points, of course. Lifecycle progress can be made pretty much any time you're not in a multiball.
I've been trying hard to ensure that every game rule has value beyond just points. I dislike game features that just award nominal points that no one cares about. So I've tried to build a meaningful web of interactions between features. As an example: when you hit X number of pop bumpers (eggs), an egg is destroyed. (Think "pop level completed" in other games.) Yay. But each egg destroyed also boosts the scoring in every mode that specifically uses the bumpers... so if you're trying to maximize your score, you might not want to start an egg-based mode until you've racked up some sweet pop bumper action. It's important to me that these sorts of rules exist for advanced players to strategize about (because I totally geek out on complicated rules interaction in pinball, without needing a 45 minute game to do it all) but not act as blockers for more casual players who just want to shoot around and have fun with the game.
Overall, I'm proud of the rules we've done for the game. I think no one will be disappointed in the breadth or depth of rules. Incorporating feedback from the entire team, Wales and US, I've written and maintained our internal rule sheet for the game (that I use as a task list / checklist, and David Thiel and Kelly Mazurowski use as their guide for what A/V assets they need to provide), and it's about 20 pages long, filled with, hopefully, interesting subtleties. 90%+ of this rulesheet (that's an educated guess, not a scientific analysis) is completed and was available on the games at Expo.
A word on lighting effects in the game. If you thought they were nice at Expo, thank you, but you literally have seen nothing yet. I've intentionally been deferring "decorative" lighting (the cool swooshes and sweeps and explosions of lights that we all love) until my physical game arrives. Brian's simulator is fantastic, but it's not able to represent things like lamp diffusion, blockages by plastics and metal, etc. Brian and I have done some decorative effects anyway, but there is much more to be done to really make the game sparkle (literally!). Once my game arrives (maybe this week, fingers crossed!), I expect to spend a lot of time focusing on lighting effects, because the whole team agrees those are a big part of providing the great atmosphere that the game demands.
There's still some work to be done in all departments, but getting to experience this game for real for the first time this weekend, I'm really optimistic that the end result is going to be amazing.

Some things only get better. Man, must feel like a kid in a candy shop when unpacking my Alien kit.

This one is for team Heighway

#8563 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a ton of stuff that is tailored to which film you're in, but at a certain point you can go insane with that. The game is about both films, and there's bleed through and blending. You can still start Find Newt multiball even if you're in the Alien branch for instance.
The priority is always going to be about using the best assets we have, and not always trying fit an artificial balance.
Still, your point is well taken, and we are following that idea in a lot of places.

Cheers for that Aurich.

Appreciate there will always be some bleed, but these targets are going to get battered so thought these in particular would benefit from a movie-appropriate effect. For example rather than the xeno screaming effect, something like a hiss to sound more sinister fitting with the suspense feel of Alien. Hopefully assets would not put a limit on this!

#8564 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Cheers for that Aurich.
Appreciate there will always be some bleed, but these targets are going to get battered so thought these in particular would benefit from a movie-appropriate effect. For example rather than the xeno screaming effect, something like a hiss to sound more sinister fitting with the suspense feel of Alien. Hopefully assets would not put a limit on this!

This actually sounds cool. I originally thought your suggestion was a bit overboard with the detail, but I like this. Your recommendation is more about atmosphere of the film vs bring OCD about the Alien universe.

#8565 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

But I do have something to say on the game. I'd call this a strategic game, like we haven't seen before!
Gameplay rules shine in the way players want. This is not a game you play and walk away from.
It's like chess to checkers. A user competitive game among friends or alone in battle.
It succeeds in this way different than others.
It's so much more than shoot the blinking light. Strategic play will give this game tenure and respect once more people
get to play.

Sounds like the perfect companion pin to the Shadow.

#8566 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think a black nickel option would look great on an Aliens LE and be more compatible with Full Throttle and future games.

Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know that plan right now, so don't take this as gospel, but I think until the LE art is done we won't worry too much about the trim color. So I'd just file it under "special trim that matches art in a cool way" for now.

So now that we're getting closer to production & the LE artwork is getting created, can someone please comment if Andrew is still considering making a black nickel trim option? That option did have quite a bit of support in this thread a few weeks back.

I'm sure I'm not the only owner who plans on playfield swapping on their Alien LE, and that green trim is so specific to this theme that something more neutral like black nickel would work better with other titles. And while the chrome trim option looks beautiful, it's still pretty pricey. Perhaps their will be some type of mid-tier option, other than the green?

I know trim color is probably last on your priority list right now, but my fingers are crossed for another option

#8567 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This actually sounds cool. I originally thought your suggestion was a bit overboard with the detail, but I like this. Your recommendation is more about atmosphere of the film vs bring OCD about the Alien universe.

Yeah I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. If you're playing Alien and keep hearing xenos getting blown to pieces when hitting those targets that could be jarring. If a multiball stars like Newts which is a parallel mode then fair enough.

#8568 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Too bad Predator is such a sore subject as it would be a perfect third game

I think its coming at some point and that would be amazing outside of the fact that I would have to have Alien and Predator side by side and I don't think I would want to swap out those playfields, its only money.

#8569 2 years ago

Looks like I know what my first NIB pin will be... holy hell... I don't have space for another one!!

#8570 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't want to interrupt Andrew during the seminar, but any time he was referring to "individually addressable LEDs" just to be clear he was leaving out the phrase RGB. Every lamp on the game is a color changer.
We've talked about a ton of ideas for how to take advantage of that, but as Joe/Ferret mentioned he really needs to have the physical game in front of him to be able to try them out.

That's super cool. I've seen some really nifty things done to older pins that really add a visual oomph, like a BSD with strong deep blue lights on the lower playfield so the ball had this long, eerie horizontal shadow. It seems like there's a lot of awesome stuff you can do now.

#8571 2 years ago

Any timeline on when we will get to see the fibre optic ramps and the production airlock toy? Also, is there any chance to see the game played in a more controlled environment where the lighting and sound can be more easily observed?

#8572 2 years ago

Photo below is from pinball news http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html

Anyway I just love the pride that's evident on everyone's faces . Great photo

IMG_0875 (resized).JPG

#8573 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

If you're playing Alien and keep hearing xenos getting blown to pieces when hitting those targets that could be jarring.

from the horses mouth:
In OOM (out of mode) hitting the targets elicit a variety of Xeno sounds. We do not use the rifle sounds to blow Xenos apart in either Alien nor Aliens mode when hitting the Xeno. That is reserved for the combat modes like Bug Hunt, Sentry Gun Multiball and others.

Keep in minds that once the Xeno mech is fully implemented there will be a number of 'pupetering' options available as a response to hitting the targets in front of it beyond the 'mouth coming out and grabbing the ball' event. Lights and sounds will add to making these hits memorable.

The sounds for the Xeno are being designed thoughtfully for greatest impact when the time is right. We have plenty of resources from both films to accomplish this.

Just like programming, I cannot finish my job till I have a machine to test all the audio assets and their behaviors. This will happen before Alien gets into full production. Tuning up Xeno audio will be one of the many tasks that I will do then.

horse out.

ddt

#8574 2 years ago

Is there any eta on when they well start building them / shipping ?

#8575 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

from the horses mouth:
In OOM (out of mode) hitting the targets elicit a variety of Xeno sounds. We do not use the rifle sounds to blow Xenos apart in either Alien nor Aliens mode when hitting the Xeno. That is reserved for the combat modes like Bug Hunt, Sentry Gun Multiball and others.
Keep in minds that once the Xeno mech is fully implemented there will be a number of 'pupetering' options available as a response to hitting the targets in front of it beyond the 'mouth coming out and grabbing the ball' event. Lights and sounds will add to making these hits memorable.
The sounds for the Xeno are being designed thoughtfully for greatest impact when the time is right. We have plenty of resources from both films to accomplish this.
Just like programming, I cannot finish my job till I have a machine to test all the audio assets and their behaviors. This will happen before Alien gets into full production. Tuning up Xeno audio will be one of the many tasks that I will do then.
horse out.
ddt

Thanks so much DT!

Your work on this game is a big part of the reason I am so pumped for it!

#8576 2 years ago

Really cool that the team chimes in with updates on art/sound/code etc.

If I wasn't remodeling my house I would be ordering one of these.

#8577 2 years ago

I'm building a game room, This may very well be the game to open the game room with

#8578 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

from the horses mouth:
horse out.
ddt

Cheers for that DT, I have total faith!

#8579 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Really cool that the team chimes in with updates on art/sound/code .

Absolutely.

#8580 2 years ago

My search-fu is letting me down right now. I have looked at the design of both Heighway machines and the side rails seem really wide/think over the glass. I've also read about some "system" that allows you to swap between games. Is that the reason the boarder around the glass is so thick? If so, does anyone have a link with more info about it?

The aliens design looks very promising from what I've seen so far. Looking forward to playing it!

#8581 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

My search-fu is letting me down right now. I have looked at the design of both Heighway machines and the side rails seem really wide/think over the glass. I've also read about some "system" that allows you to swap between games. Is that the reason the boarder around the glass is so thick? If so, does anyone have a link with more info about it?
The aliens design looks very promising from what I've seen so far. Looking forward to playing it!

The bezel around the glass is to allow the glass to lift up rather than slide off.

#8582 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm building a game room, This may very well be the game to open the game room with

I'm opening a pinball pub/cafe, and was waiting for the reveals from Expo to decide which show piece to bring in. This is a strong contender!

#8583 2 years ago

Plus, the cabinet walls are thicker due to the drop-in side art blades.

#8584 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Plus, the cabinet walls are thicker due to the drop-in side art blades.

This. I don't know a ton about the system, but I did have to pop the glass a couple times when manning the booth, and the thick bezel hides the fact that the sides are "double sided", with the drop in art going between them. So an ordinary rail wouldn't cover the top. It's a functional decision.

#8585 2 years ago

I'd been holding off on buying a Ghostbusters, waiting for the reveal of Alien. And boy am I glad I did. I think I'm going with Alien for my first NIB!

#8586 2 years ago

How friendly is the game for public location? Language/gore...

#8587 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Hopefully totally unsuitable.

#8588 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

All callouts from the movie have beeped versions that can be selected in the non-adult state.

ddt

#8589 2 years ago

selectable is good !

#8590 2 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Hopefully totally unsuitable.

Ha! (And yes!)

#8591 2 years ago

Do any of you guys order with coin mechs for the commercial asthetic in a home use enviornment?

Are coin mechs included and if not how much to add 2 when ordering?

My TWD came with 2 and I have to say I like the novelty and the look even though it's just for home use.

#8592 2 years ago

This is something for me.... I was quite impressed with Full Throttle and how sound isolated the cabinett is.. For me they really benchmarked things there. The sound got to me in a better way, which got me into the flow without the mechanical "clonks" dominating.. Anybody agree ?

I will be shipping pins to finance Alien.

// Matt

#8593 2 years ago

I think someone mentioned it not long ago, what about this possible black nickel trim selection that was mentioned awhile back? I don't love chrome on this machine at all and with being an LE I am kind of worried the green is not going to translate well from game to game and not 100% sure it is all going to be interchangeable(I have e-mail in to Andrew to try and understand better). Just wondering if anyone heard any other update at the show, I wasn't able to catch up with him to talk.

#8594 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

All callouts from the movie have beeped versions that can be selected in the non-adult state.
ddt

Thank you sir.

#8595 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So now that we're getting closer to production & the LE artwork is getting created, can someone please comment if Andrew is still considering making a black nickel trim option? That option did have quite a bit of support in this thread a few weeks back.
I'm sure I'm not the only owner who plans on playfield swapping on their Alien LE, and that green trim is so specific to this theme that something more neutral like black nickel would work better with other titles. And while the chrome trim option looks beautiful, it's still pretty pricey. Perhaps their will be some type of mid-tier option, other than the green?
I know trim color is probably last on your priority list right now, but my fingers are crossed for another option

Paint it Pink! I don't give a S*°°*, I just want to play it! Lol

#8596 2 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

think someone mentioned it not long ago, what about this possible black nickel trim selection that was mentioned awhile back? I don't love chrome on this machine at all and with being an LE I am kind of worried the green is not going to translate well from game to game and not 100% sure it is all going to be interchangeable(I have e-mail in to Andrew to try and understand better). Just wondering if anyone heard any other update at the show, I wasn't able to catch up with him to talk.

Great question as I agree 100% with you. Chrome is not a great choice for this title and I would like to have the black nickel as an option. I ordered my LE from the beginning and if I'm stuck with the green as the only option, I'll send the trim out for the black nickel treatment. Hoping Andrew comes thru with the nickel option. The darker the better on this game!

#8597 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

IMO, if I had all 3 new games, I'd play dialed in for fun, Batman for nostalgia, and Aliens for battle.

Well said Art, are you trying to get the Voice of Reason award?

#8598 2 years ago

Nah, its a side affect of being a full blown
Oxy addict!

#8599 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

I ordered my LE from the beginning and if I'm stuck with the green as the only option, I'll send the trim out for the black nickel treatment

Just an idea, if the black nickle isn't available and you still don't want the LE color after it gets revealed maybe you could request your LE with the SE trim and decide what to do from that point?

Myself? I'm in on the 30th Anniversary LE green. If the unforseeable rare day would come where I wanted to swap in a new theme in my Grail Pin and I didn't like the green any longer I'd just order a standard SE trim kit separately at that point. Or the new theme in a second Heighway cabinet.

#8600 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Just an idea, if the black nickle isn't available and you still don't want the LE color after it gets revealed maybe you could request your LE with the SE trim and decide what to do from that point?

Something to think about. Thanks...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside