• 24,463 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by noitbe1
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24463 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 490.
#11301 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I should mention that any pinheads which seak this place out for the game, please be sure to buy a beer/ nachos at the bar and specifically tell them thanks for having pinball. I have found they really appreciate this feedback and we are of course very thankful that they let us take up space with pinball.

Well said Hilton! Please do this at any place you find a good location that you enjoy, so it doesn't disappear. BTW, I plan to put Alien on location at Brixies when I get it but not really sure when it's coming yet since the dates have moved many times. I'm sure Hilton's will get here before mine does though plus I like to try to shake out the ball traps and bugs before I put it out, so if you've really got the itch, you'll need to hit his place up first.

#11302 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No worries man, the pinside purge has us all on edge!!

lol

#11303 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Why people REFUSE to create a Facebook account when so many videos they end up wanting to watch are there, is beyond me. I get it, FB has a stigma from the "older" crowd (which I'm a part of). I literally don't understand why people use FB. But they do, so get over it.
There are things posted there that have nothing to do with "using" FB that you want to see. Regardless, people are on here almost daily saying "screw FB, when will someone post that video somewhere else?!?!" Get over yourselves.
I have a FB acct with EXACTLY zero friends. I don't "use" FB, but I have an acct so I can see this sort of stuff I want to see that people post there. It's free, took seconds to sign up for, and I still get to tell people I don't use FB. That's right people, you can have a FB acct without actually "using" FB.
Or I suppose you can keep torturing yourself and complaining while you wait for someone to post the video somewhere you feel is worthy of you accessing. So be it.

Feel better after that rant Dad? There'll be plenty of videos on YouTube soon. I have the patience to wait it out.

I love the "I use Facebook, but I don't "use" Facebook.

#11304 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

There'll be plenty of videos on YouTube soon

I'm waiting for the filmstrip.

#11305 2 years ago

For the record I did attempt to do this on you tube and I signed up for an account but the upload kept timing out on my mobile data. Sorry for that. If one of you can transfer the Facebook video to YouTube then awesome. If not I can try to sort it when I am done for the day.

#11306 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I should mention that any pinheads which seak this place out for the game, please be sure to buy a beer/ nachos at the bar and specifically tell them thanks for having pinball. I have found they really appreciate this feedback and we are of course very thankful that they let us take up space with pinball.

I'll make a trip up soon to check out Aliens. Never been to Alt brew but I'd be happy to let them know exactly what brought me there

#11307 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'm waiting for the filmstrip.

I'm waiting for the first premature analysis hater, from someone who has only seen a video, and has reached the final determination that the game is complete utter garbage.

Looking forward to my LE more than ever now.

#11308 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Why people REFUSE to create a Facebook account when so many videos they end up wanting to watch are there, is beyond me. I get it, FB has a stigma from the "older" crowd (which I'm a part of). I literally don't understand why people use FB. But they do, so get over it.
There are things posted there that have nothing to do with "using" FB that you want to see. Regardless, people are on here almost daily saying "screw FB, when will someone post that video somewhere else?!?!" Get over yourselves.
I have a FB acct with EXACTLY zero friends. I don't "use" FB, but I have an acct so I can see this sort of stuff I want to see that people post there. It's free, took seconds to sign up for, and I still get to tell people I don't use FB. That's right people, you can have a FB acct without actually "using" FB.
Or I suppose you can keep torturing yourself and complaining while you wait for someone to post the video somewhere you feel is worthy of you accessing. So be it.

I DONT have a fb, twitter, instagram, pintrest ect. account. Too much politics, people showing you how awesome they are and BS. In fact, the only social media i use is pinside and i just joined less than a year ago. Im 26 btw so its not just older people who say scew facebook.

#11309 2 years ago

ALIEN PINBALL UNBOXING: parts 1,2,3

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4U73f7CEz07ofnGDz5fzFJXMkl3jYEm

SHARED ON YOUTUBE
Shared with permission from Starport Arcade

#11310 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

If I was not relocating to Eglin AFB on Saturday, I was SO make the drive to come see this game right now. All about the timing...!!!

I spent a week on Eglin when I was a soccer coach in 2005. Fort Walton Beach is lovely and I met a lovely local girl who worked in Hooters! Good memories

#11312 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

ALIEN PINBALL UNBOXING: parts 1,2,3
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4U73f7CEz07ofnGDz5fzFJXMkl3jYEm
SHARED ON YOUTUBE
Shared with permission from Starport Arcade

I don't really get unboxing videos, can someone please explain the appeal?

#11313 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Diff'rent Strokes.

#11314 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

exciting to open a new game. Some want to share in that unboxing.

#11315 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It's not the same without the smell.

#11316 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Introducing...AROMA-SCOPE!

IMG_0420 (resized).JPG

#11317 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

That's what she said.

#11318 2 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I like that the default "All Out War" Champ is listed as RIP. Subtle nod right there

#11319 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What is the Dropship, complete for 2x play field?

Left ramp shots spot letters in DROP. Right ramp shots spot letters in SHIP. Upper ramp shots spot a letter in both DROP and SHIP. Once DROP SHIP is fully spelled, 2X Playfield scoring starts for awhile. That is one of 3 ways to start (or extend the time of) 2X Playfield.

I only watched a bit of last night's stream, but it looked to me like the left ramp wasn't registering shots, so DROP letters weren't getting spotted. Probably need to adjust the left ramp made switch to ensure that the ball is consistently activating it. ( cjmjmm2006 )

#11320 2 years ago

I'm diggin' the spinners.

#11321 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Left ramp shots spot letters in DROP. Right ramp shots spot letters in SHIP. Upper ramp shots spot a letter in both DROP and SHIP. Once DROP SHIP is fully spelled, 2X Playfield scoring starts for awhile. That is one of 3 ways to start (or extend the time of) 2X Playfield.
I only watched a bit of last night's stream, but it looked to me like the left ramp wasn't registering shots, so DROP letters weren't getting spotted. Probably need to adjust the left ramp made switch to ensure that the ball is consistently activating it. ( cjmjmm2006 )

Yeah and not to belabor it but I didn't hear much of sound effect with the left ramp. So maybe indeed it wasn't registering at all. Love the outer orbit sounds though... deep and scary.

#11322 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Some people enjoy living vicariously through others and its educational too .
The viewer can feel (sort of) what its like to open a new pinball machine.
Pinball unboxing is more fun because .. well come-one, its way better than opening a new toaster.
The Alien pinball opening was interesting to me to see how this (not stern) manufacturer packed their machine and how it went together such as mounting the head vs just flipping it up and installing 2 bolts.
In these videos we were also able to see the playfield lifted which is also interesting to me.
I totally understand that unboxings are not for everyone. I normally don't care about them , but in this case I did want to see it.

#11323 2 years ago

Watching an unboxing video is like watching an "adult-education" video... you get to vicariously settle a primal urge without any of the associated cost, commitment or clean-up.

#11324 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Now that's clever.....wonder if that's a first for pinball?

No, Tag Team 1985 Premier, has a similar feature called "Last Chance" in the left outlane.

#11325 2 years ago

The playfield art works really well once the game is all lit up. Its also nice seeing someone play that can make shots, proving that it has some pretty good flow. One of the things that needs to be done is come up with something to replace those posts in the left outlane. They seem add very little to the game visually. I realize there was a toy there in the original design that was scrapped due to fit. I wonder what could mount over them or in their place?

#11326 2 years ago
Quoted from j69:

Fort Walton Beach is lovely and I met a lovely local girl who worked in Hooters! Good memories

Now there's an unboxing video we need to see!

#11327 2 years ago

I may have missed it in this thread, but at some point are we going to see hi-res images of the add-ons for Alien on the Heighway pinball site versus placeholder images? As some add-ons are cosmetic in nature, a picture is worth a thousands words and a video is better.

(my comment excludes the beacons which have been addressed before)

#11328 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The playfield art works really well once the game is all lit up. Its also nice seeing someone play that can make shots, proving that it has some pretty good flow. One of the things that needs to be done is come up with something to replace those posts in the left outlane. They seem add very little to the game visually. I realize there was a toy there in the original design that was scrapped due to fit. I wonder what could mount over them or in their place?

From what I've read regarding the rules the left outlane posts are there for a reason. If you lock a ball one of those two inserts lights up, so when draining you need to nudge it into the lit insert lane. If you can manage that the ball you have locked comes into play. The lit insert will flip back and forth as the slings are hit. So it's a ball save feature. If two balls are locked both inserts are lit and when the ball drains one will shoot out from the two you have locked.
So you get to save the ball but it cost you a locked ball.
I think this is how it works.

#11329 2 years ago

Games are shipping. That is awesome news. I hope to find an Alien on location in the not so far off future.

#11330 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

From what I've read regarding the rules the left outlane posts are there for a reason. If you lock a ball one of those two inserts lights up, so when draining you need to nudge it into the lit insert lane. If you can manage that the ball you have locked comes into play. The lit insert will flip back and forth as the slings are hit. So it's a ball save feature. If two balls are locked both inserts are lit and when the ball drains one will shoot out from the two you have locked.
So you get to save the ball but it cost you a locked ball.
I think this is how it works.

Ok. I seen that mentioned, but didn't realize that you had some control over it. Makes more sense now. Still the posts are a bit ugly in that spot. At least posts that fit the theme visually? Black? Probably easy enough for someone to alter. I'm just nit picking really.

#11331 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Ok. I seen that mentioned, but didn't realize that you had some control over it. Makes more sense now. Still the posts are a bit ugly in that spot. At least posts that fit the theme visually? Black? Probably easy enough for someone to alter. I'm just nit picking really.

This should help a lot readers while everyone discusses shots & playfield features.
Heighway-AlienShotMap (resized).jpg
alien-pinball-map-photo (resized).jpg

#11332 2 years ago

Actually no they won't help because those schematics are ancient history. The playfield & ramps look nothing like that now.

They never officially released the final schematic, but it sure would be nice if they did

#11333 2 years ago

Wow, so Alien has 10 shots that either drop into a hole, pass through an area, or go into a ramp. That could be a record. Really digging the layout.

#11334 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Actually no they won't help because those schematics are ancient history. The playfield & ramps look nothing like that now.
They never officially released the final schematic, but it sure would be nice if they did

Isn't it still the same? The only things changed to my knowledge is the queen toy and far left ramp adjusted to be smoother but none of the layout was changed.

#11335 2 years ago

After watching that gameplay video, you guys were serious about the outlane drains. But I love the "Indiana Jones/Centaur" RT outlane configuration. A skilled player could really make a lot of drain saves with proper nudging, and it looks like there could be some speed through there when a shot from the LT upper flipper goes to the 2nd vent. Kinda similar to Full Throttle's LT outlane, but man I just love that outlane design.

I would also think that it would be an important strategy to go for hypersleep chamber ball locks on the upper LT ramp as soon as they are available. I'm not sure what you have to do to light the lock though. Since the out lane drains are common, at least you can exchange a ball lock for a LT outlane drain if you hit the lit rollover.

#11336 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Isn't it still the same? The only things changed to my knowledge is the queen toy and far left ramp adjusted to be smoother but none of the layout was changed.

You're not looking closely enough. U-turn ramp different, entire Lt upper ball lock ramp changed, Rt upper loop magnet gone, queen chamber gone, etc etc. Again it would be really nice to see a black & white final schematic of the finalized playfield.

#11337 2 years ago

Did the additional games ship out today?

#11338 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I would also think that it would be an important strategy to go for hypersleep chamber ball locks on the upper LT ramp as soon as they are available. I'm not sure what you have to do to light the lock though. Since the out lane drains are common, at least you can exchange a ball lock for a LT outlane drain if you hit the lit rollover.

Light lock by completing the APC drop targets on the mid-right. Lock balls by shooting the upper ramp.

I kind of agree with you about that being an important strategy... with that in mind (as well as the difficulty of the upper ramp shot), I just checked in code changes a couple days ago to make Hypersleep Multiball more valuable points-wise. Tricky balancing act on this one... if HSMB isn't worth enough, players may just avoid starting it at all in favor of the outlane protection... if it's worth too much, it's unbalanced.

#11339 2 years ago

I ordered my LE yesterday.
This game looks amazing!

#11340 2 years ago

There is a stream promised tonight (Starting roughly between 8pm and 9pm EST) from WV follow in this thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-a-l-i-e-n-p-i-n-b-a-l-l-stream#post-3618704

#11341 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

There is a stream promised tonight (Starting roughly between 8pm and 9pm EST) from WV follow in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-a-l-i-e-n-p-i-n-b-a-l-l-stream#post-3618704

Buffer stream is back

https://www.twitch.tv/heyplaythis

#11342 2 years ago

Ok - question.
Pre order differences between directly ordering from Heighway and Cointaker?
Any preferences?

#11343 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

There were tweaks to the right side too. That whole magnet idea there just didn't work right. One of those sounded good on paper but in practice didn't pan out things I guess. I know some other stuff was adjusted too, honestly it's hard to remember the order of changes now. Dave's really revised the sh*t out of this game, he's really thought it through, which is why I really feel like it's entirely his game, and not at all Dennis Nordman's.

Nothing but respect for Dennis, he's one of my favorite designers of all time, and we've talked Alien over drinks, and I know he feels the same way. This is Dave's game. If you've shot Full Throttle you know he has a great sense for shot geometry. I trust his instincts on things.

It's been a very different experience doing long distance digital work for a physical product that I can't see and touch myself. So in a lot of ways, as involved as I've been the whole way, I'll experience it much like any new owner. I'm excited to flip a final one, and see how it all works in person myself.

I'm not at my main computer now, and I don't want to post CAD files, leave that to Dave and Andrew, but since the game is 'released' now I'll find a photo of the new ramps, maybe post the original art files or something, the pics I have are a little blurry.

#11344 2 years ago

Towards the end of the stream (or at least at 1 am Eastern Time) I see some people getting frustrated with the machine and I realize...so far... I have NEVER:

Seen anyone successfully use the ball save feature on that ridiculously hungry left outlane (maybe 1 or 2 drops should be spotted from the start?)

Seen anyone come close to finishing a mode (understandable as it's new but maybe a longer stock timer amount?)

Seen the xenomorph head light up... react in any way... or snatch a ball (it seems DOA)

I saw one poor guy's game literally last less than 3 minutes. Lost each ball almost immediately and maybe ONE ball save was offered.

Still the good news is people seem fascinated with it

#11345 2 years ago

I was watching the last hour or so of the stream and taking notes... needless to say, it's a totally different perspective for me to watch this way vs just playing the prototype. Thanks to the stream team!

I think at the very least, I'll add a "Revive = Easy" adjustment that spots one Revive lane per ball... to give the option for the outlane nudge maze to be a useful feature for everyone right off the bat. (On my prototype, the left outlane area is tough, but not as tough as it appeared to be on the stream. A little of that might be due to what looked like a very sensitive tilt on the Pittsburgh game... perhaps also steeper than normal? Hard to say.)

Mode timer = 40 seconds for most modes. Modes on average require 5 shots to complete. (Alien modes tend to require fewer but more precise shots; Aliens modes tend to have more shots lit at once but also require more to complete.) If you collect Mother during a mode, she'll always extend mode time (once per mode). Half the modes also have other ways to extend the mode time.

No clue why the Xeno isn't growling and eating balls.

I invite (constructive ) software feedback from anyone who's played it...

#11346 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

No clue why the Xeno isn't growling and eating balls.

It was explained by the streamer and i witnessed it once during play; that the Xeno magnet stops ball , mouth opens , tongue comes half way out and magnet releases ball. Not sure if there are any variations to the behavior (different release sequences) , but it would appear to suggest that it isn't working properly or still under development.

For some reason the lower pop bumper and the inserts on the right loop were not lighting. The right loop itself seems to be a bit clunky; the only flow problem i could detect. The upper inner loop was fantastic as are the ramps flow.

If the ball can be detected near the opening of the left outlane drain , an animation on the lcd showing to nudge to the lit lane might help newbies understand to do something. For LCD games , i am a big proponent of having a short video tutorial of features built into attract mode or available via flipper code.

Is there anything more planned for some of the mystery awards (not 100% sure if its mystery). They are indicated by simple text and a couple of lines on the screen (Like AWARD LOCK or 15 second ball saver). Seems like it could be jazzed up a little since the ball is being held and you actually can enjoy some graphics.

Again, thanks for answering questions and to thanks to the Heighway team for making the game the best it can be.

#11347 2 years ago

Good points Ezeltmann. It would be nice to have some tutorials being played in attract mode. Maybe Heighway could add a mode status screen as well that is played during attract mode and can be accessed during the game. It's always been cool in a game like WOZ for example to see the two cool status screens and where you are at in terms of beating the game.

I hope the Xeno toy is used for multiple modes and multiballs. It's such a cool toy and unique toy.

#11348 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for tuning in and thanks SAK for contributing with equipment and the stream to let the world see this game. From an operator prospective I'm very pleased with this unit. I have some good data to relay back to the heighway team so they can translate it into a better product down the line. There have been 700 plays in 3 days, I'm very happy with it.

Tuesday evening I will attempt to have a friend of mine play some on stream. He is a top 20 player, he may be able to get this game to sing.

Thanks again to everyone that made the stream and participated in playing.

#11349 2 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Tuesday evening I will attempt to have a friend of mine play some on stream.

Thanks! As a person who's new to owning pinball machines, I've been doing my research and Alien really has my attention (has since i 1st saw the promo video months ago). Seeing a machine being played with some friendly conversation about what's happening on the PF is going top help a lot of people. If its possible, please think about lighting and a mounted camera running in HD so we can really see what's going on. Many videos so far are shaky and dark which makes it hard to appreciate this beautiful looking machine.

EDIT: Just found the stream and its well done. Until the next video, check this out: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124542041

@ 24:00 they try to turn up volume and realize its at max already.
** As I recall there is an audio-amp with a volume control knob in the belly.
That's the master volume. The digital volume is a trim vol. control.

#11350 2 years ago

Any possibility of streaming Alien with deadflip? https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 24463 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 490.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside