• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 493.
#11651 2 years ago

Agreed, I love games that give you shit, it makes you want to immediately play another game.

#11652 2 years ago

Wow that is the best video yet. It really shows off the complexity of the lighting/video/sound. Great stuff!So much to take in, I can't wait to play it again. I didn't see any ball locking on the left ramp, but maybe they are virtual locks?

2 small things:
* I agree with others that say there should be more play in the bumper area. Its a nice space and there should be some rocking and some rules associated with the bumpers. Then you can put those color changers to work too!
* The YOU HAVE FAILED message can simply be removed and I think it would be presented better. You have a skull/crossbones type image when you fail, simplicity would be best in this case at the end, so just remove the YOU HAVE FAILED message and I think that would be great!

Awesome game fellas! Well done!

Quoted from rcbrown316:

i'm sure this has been posted. if not...enjoy. » YouTube video

#11653 2 years ago

Leave the You have Failed. Because, you just did. You are on a mission, a failed mission.

#11654 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Leave the You have Failed. Because, you just did. You are on a mission, a failed mission.

Or at the very least, include it as an optional setting.

#11655 2 years ago

Tunnel Escape, that music and breathing, holy shit
1min into this vid

#11656 2 years ago

This game is sick. I have literally sold 5 games in the last couple of weeks as I just know after this game most of the pinball machines I have owned are going to pale in comparison. I really think this game is going to change many people's perspective of pinball.

#11657 2 years ago

I really like the way the game is shaping up. Great Job team Heighway!

One thing I miss is a shot that consistently sets up the upper right flipper like in High Speed. This is especially important with the significance of the lock ramp. The upper left flipper sort of does this since the pop bumpers aren't very active. That might not be the case if the pop bumpers are more sensitive.

Perhaps disabling the pops when the ball comes out of the Mystery shot for a few seconds will allow the upper left flipper to feed the upper right flipper.

Edit: Could even make it so the pop bumpers are only deactivated while the left flipper button is held after the mystery shot, so the player can choose to feed the upper flipper or go for the pops.

#11658 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Reminds me of Dark Souls....YOU DIED. Saw that message more than once.

#11659 2 years ago

Never mind. Nothing to see here.

#11660 2 years ago

I've been following the production on this pin for a while and recently placed a deposit on a L/E. This will be second pin, and first NIB. Here's my thinking...

From what I've been reading, the Alien theme is a passion project of Andrew Heighway, and while it looks amazing already, it's likely going to keep getting better and better as it's refined. Being a personal passion project of Andrew's, this won't be a cash grab pump and dump. We'll likely keep getting more nuanced code updates, and given that Heighway only has 2 pins created now, they will remain committed to make this kick ass, instead of moving onto the next big thing. I'm reminded of Avis' iconic advertising campaign: “When you’re only No. 2, you try harder.”

With a unique playfield design with multiple shots, aurich's beautifully appropriate artwork, and from what I've been reading from ferret about his considered rule set, this looks to be a clear winner with staying power. I predict this being rated a top 5 pin within the year.

#11661 2 years ago

Maybe a compromise on the "You Have Failed" message is just to put something like "Mission Fail"....it takes the personal attack out of it...you didn't fail, the mission did. I like being challenged as others have said, but we also need to keep in mind a lot of these games will be in arcades (we hope) where folks never exposed to pinball might be playing them. The last thing you want to do is to tell someone they are a failure...not good for repeat sales. People come to bars and arcades to get away from reality and criticism for a while.

#11662 2 years ago

Yeah I agree, you want to encourage people to keep trying, not kick 'em in the junk.

And from a philosophy standpoint, the whole point of the Heighway system was for more location pinball. Then you have to assume you are dealing with a whole generation of people that don't play pinball.

#11663 2 years ago

Come on, "You Have Failed" is too harsh? heres an idea when you see that message pull ur skirt over head and run away crying.

#11664 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Maybe a compromise on the "You Have Failed" message is just to put something like "Mission Fail"....it takes the personal attack out of it...you didn't fail, the mission did. I like being challenged as others have said, but we also need to keep in mind a lot of these games will be in arcades (we hope) where folks never exposed to pinball might be playing them. The last thing you want to do is to tell someone they are a failure...not goo for repeat sales.

I've suggested this before, but I'll mention it again... just make the you have failed an optional operator setting.

In most mode based games, I never really notice if I've been successful or not. But in Alien, success makes a difference on other modes, so it's more important to reiterate.

#11665 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've suggested this before, but I'll mention it again... just make the you have failed an optional operating setting.
In most mode based games, I never really notice if I've been successful or not. But in Alien, success makes a difference on other modes, so it's more important to reiterate.

I like the "You failed" message and think it's much better than not putting out any message at all. I like the feedback of knowing whether you failed or not. Plus it makes it more fun and you feel more accomplished when you do finally pass a mission. I'd vote to keep it in at least on default settings.

They could put in a "You tried really hard, hold your head up. Maybe you'll get them next time. Here's a Snickers bar" message on the Novice and easy settings

#11666 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I've suggested this before, but I'll mention it again... just make the you have failed an optional operator setting.

I like the "You have failed" Pinball machines used to heckle us and I ove that!

I like user options in the menu, but I would rather the time be spent on more important options than how "green ribbon" the failure screen needs to be.

Aliens is a pretty rouch theme to begin with. You fail in the movie and you die. Failure here just means another start button press

#11667 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Come on, "You Have Failed" is too harsh? heres an idea when you see that message pull ur skirt over head and run away crying.

Personally, I wear pant-suits, I don't have the legs for a skirt. The message doesn't offend me at all....I was merely looking at it from the viewpoint of some young adult in an arcade who has never played pinball before, and who has probably never seen the movie either.

#11668 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like user options in the menu, but I would rather the time be spent on more important options than how "green ribbon" the failure screen needs to be.
Aliens is a pretty rouch theme to begin with. You fail in the movie and you die. Failure here just means another start button press

I agree, while making this an option sounds like an easy task, I am not sure it is that simple. You have to write a menu and put in code to toggle the option. Maybe later when the code is really mature, but right now there are bigger Aliens to fry......

#11669 2 years ago

We are really asking for options on how we are told a mode/game has ended? I missed the point in time when pinheads developed feelings...

#11670 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Maybe a compromise on the "You Have Failed" message is just to put something like "Mission Fail"....it takes the personal attack out of it...you didn't fail, the mission did. I like being challenged as others have said, but we also need to keep in mind a lot of these games will be in arcades (we hope) where folks never exposed to pinball might be playing them. The last thing you want to do is to tell someone they are a failure...not good for repeat sales. People come to bars and arcades to get away from reality and criticism for a while.

Wow - Personal attack? Really? Its a PINBALL MACHINE.

#11671 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

We are really asking for options on how we are told a mode/game has ended? I missed the point in time when pinheads developed feelings...

Is the game being marketed to hardcore pinheads, or something bigger?

I'm sure Andrew's business plan calls for more than just Pinside sales even if that's where the early adopters are and low hanging fruit. That's all I'm getting at.

#11672 2 years ago

Watched part of the Dead Flip play last night and I'm really impressed, the game and screen integration and story telling through modes are really well done. I can't wait to play one near me, maybe at Rocky Mountain Showdown in June.

#11673 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is the game being marketed to hardcore pinheads, or something bigger?
I'm sure Andrew's business plan calls for more than just Pinside sales even if that's where the early adopters are and low hanging fruit. That's all I'm getting at.

I wont share numbers specifically, but can tell you that Aliens has done better on route in the first 3 days than most new games do in the first 3 weeks.

This is not indicative of how it will do elsewhere, but it is indicative that the general public is not only willing to drop in a buck, but willing to replay it a few times also. Only time will tell, but I think the game is going to sell beyond pinside.

#11674 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like the "You have failed" Pinball machines used to heckle us and I kove that!
Aliens is a pretty rough theme to begin with. You fail in the movie and you die. Failure here just means another start button press

Agree. I love when TSPP throws out the Homer quote "Stupid Failure". It made my 6 year old daughter cry awhile back but she laughs about it now.

#11675 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think a "You Have Failed" Trophy would help kids cope with the disappointment. No need to try harder, that would be uncomfortable.

#11676 2 years ago

To clarify, I want the "You have failed" to remain. I was just worried with people requesting the removal it might mean it'd be taken away, so I suggested keeping it as an option as the next best alternative.

But my preference is to keep as is.

#11677 2 years ago

I am STOKED about this game! If one of the biggest points of debate after watching the Deadflip stream is around the 'you have failed' message - I think we are off to a GREAT start.

#11678 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from DylanFan71:

Agree. I love when TSPP throws out the Homer quote "Stupid Failure". It made my 6 year old daughter cry awhile back but she laughs about it now.

I agree too, same with RZ.

"I'm the one wearin' the grease paint, why are you playin' like a fkn clown?" has yet to deter anyone from hitting the start button again.

#11679 2 years ago

Oh yeah, came here to say: If you don't have the spare cash for this game, don't watch the Dead Flip stream!! This game looks more stunning every time I see it. And who knew Whysnow could actually play?

#11680 2 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Oh yeah, came here to say: If you don't have the spare cash for this game, don't watch the Dead Flip stream!! This game looks more stunning every time I see it. And who knew Whysnow could actually play?

lol. Not really. I kept bricking my skillshot. I was nervous to be on stream and play

It was a really fun experience and I encourage others to do it if you get the shot.

#11681 2 years ago

I dont think people want the "You failed" Message Removed, I think the suggestion was to add other ball endings, as this ending seems to appear as the Only ending in many cases.
Just mix it up with a few others.....pretty simple, and turn the failure into a positive negative in some endings to encourage another play. "Play Better" on AC/DC is an example...Im sure there are plenty more ways.

I believe its just something coming in the future updates....

#11682 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think the suggestion was to add other ball endings, as this ending seems to appear as the Only ending in many cases.

more endings would be great!

#11683 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

The message doesn't offend me at all....I was merely looking at it from the viewpoint of some young adult in an arcade who has never played pinball before, and who has probably never seen the movie either.

Ok, but young adults play video games and the message's you get upon failing or dying are not sugar coated in anyway, just about 90% of all video games are so much more violent and harsh and in ur face when you F up so I doubt they will feel slighted by the message "you have failed" in a pinball machine.

#11684 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Call me crazy, but I just want my pinball machine to be a pinball machine, not a home theater.

1947 - "Call me crazy, but I want my pinball to have just pins on it, I don't need those fancy flipper thing-a-ma-bobs."

1976 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need my pinball running on solid-state electronics."

1991 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a digital display with cool animations; a simple numerical score is just fine."

2013 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display with incredible graphics in the backbox."

2015 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display in the playfield giving me instant feedback that allows me to keep my eyes on the playfield and not look up at the backbox."

Just messing with you.

Keep in mind though, if these incredible people had never thought "what if..." right now we'd just be bitching about clearcoat issues on a flipperless pinball machine with just nails in wood. (and that assumes pinball would have survived without the innovation continually making it more interesting and relevant.)

#11685 2 years ago

Wow, interesting that people are taking sides on this, lol.

I suggested it should be removed simply because it's redundant. It doesn't bother me, I'm not offended in any way. You already have a big red icon that shows before the message showing you failed (like a skull cross bones, I forget the icon). I get it, I failed, why tell me again? It's like showing a big stop sign and then following up with a message that says "Don't forget to STOP!" No big deal either way, it was just a suggestion.

Carry on, more important things to discuss.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont think people want the "You failed" Message Removed, I think the suggestion was to add other ball endings, as this ending seems to appear as the Only ending in many cases.
Just mix it up with a few others.....pretty simple, and turn the failure into a positive negative in some endings to encourage another play. "Play Better" on AC/DC is an example...Im sure there are plenty more ways.
I believe its just something coming in the future updates....

#11686 2 years ago

Looks like we need a pinball safe space here.

#11687 2 years ago

I think pinball needs more machismo.

#11688 2 years ago

The rules for Alien are looking great. I was wondering what others think of the idea of the game offering different difficulty options for the rules.

For example "normal" mode would have a player play through modes as they are written today which means not requiring them to be completed before moving into the next. A "pro" mode would require players to have beaten a mode before moving on to the next one.

I suppose this could also just be setting.

#11689 2 years ago

Curious, is there going to be a tournament mode or competitive mode?

#11690 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I like the "You failed" message and think it's much better than not putting out any message at all. I like the feedback of knowing whether you failed or not. Plus it makes it more fun and you feel more accomplished when you do finally pass a mission. I'd vote to keep it in at least on default settings.
They could put in a "You tried really hard, hold your head up. Maybe you'll get them next time. Here's a Snickers bar" message on the Novice and easy settings

I think everyone needs to put their big boy pants on. This is Alien, not Jetsons.

#11691 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Both Full Throttle and ALIEN already support a tournament mode feature. It can be enabled in the operator's menu, or you can hold the left flipper for 5 seconds before starting a game and it will go into competition mode for the next game only.

This removes all random features. For ALIEN this means Muthur Mystery will award items in a fixed sequence. Presently it just gives points every time, but this will probably evolve.

#11692 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

1947 - "Call me crazy, but I want my pinball to have just pins on it, I don't need those fancy flipper thing-a-ma-bobs."
1976 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need my pinball running on solid-state electronics."
1991 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a digital display with cool animations; a simple numerical score is just fine."
2013 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display with incredible graphics in the backbox."
2015 - "Call me crazy, but I don't need a HD display in the playfield giving me instant feedback that allows me to keep my eyes on the playfield and not look up at the backbox."
Just messing with you.
Keep in mind though, if these incredible people had never thought "what if..." right now we'd just be bitching about clearcoat issues on a flipperless pinball machine with just nails in wood. (and that assumes pinball would have survived without the innovation continually making it more interesting and relevant.)

Valid point, and I absolutely agree with you!...I just don't think "let me watch tv on my pin" is in the same ballpark as "give me more gameplay or even game-related features". I'm all about new technology, it's half of the reason why I'm supporting Heighway and JJP over Stern as of late (and I would support other companies if I had interest in their themes and gameplay). I followed the WOOLY development partly because of that (and an interesting, original theme). I want to see deeper gameplay, more features, newer features, things that haven't been done before, etc.

I hate to bring up other games in this thread unless it's relevant, but many people complained about the cell phone integration on Dialed In, but like it or not it is just that: integration. That's my problem with "let me watch a movie"...it's not integrating into the game whatsoever.

#11693 2 years ago

Kind of a funny debate - "You have Failed". I am not keen on the message either but not because it hurts my feelings. I just don't think it quite fits the machine as much as a message like "Mission Aborted" or "Mission Failure" would. You have an entire movie based upon interactions between tough-as-nails military jocks, Alien's and an emotionless computer "Mother". I just don't see Sarge looking you in the eye and saying "You have failed" or "Mother" saying "You have failed" - but I do hear Mother saying "Mission Failure"!

Sure as heck isn't the type of thing that would keep me from owning it. It is great that this is the only thing we are finding objectionable.

Now toughen up you maggots and go bug-huntin! (Wrong movie)

Awesome pin (from where I am sitting behind a keyboard). Can't wait to play and own.

#11694 2 years ago

I have to laugh at some of the stuff I'm reading here.

This is an ADULT theme, based on two classic R-Rated movies, about an Alien that bursts out of victim's chests & violently kills anything it sees. Don't waste one minute of valuable programming time dumbing it down for the masses or fainthearted. If you buy this pin or step up to play, you know what you're getting into. Operators aren't buying this pin to put it in Chucky Cheese, ok?

I don't give a rats ass about your kids getting exposed to the theme, violence or it's language. I don't care about sensitive players whose fragile egos get shattered by mode messages that taunt their lousy skills. Perhaps the coindoor should spit out little participation egg trophies after every game that say "You lost.....BUT YOU'RE STILL A WINNER!!!" I mean come on, give me a break.

This is a dream theme loveletter pin made for superfans, and we want Heighway to make it as badass as possible. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

#11695 2 years ago

Some real first world problems right here. This is hilarious.

#11696 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes, tournament mode removes all the award randomization. Already in the programming. (Edit: oops Brian already gave a better answer than me)

#11697 2 years ago

Congrats, you guys managed to find something to nitpick. I think this is a new low.

At least it's been civil.

#11698 2 years ago

Fingers crossed that the LE will be revealed at or before The Texas Pinball festival

#11699 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Don't waste one minute of valuable programming time dumbing it down for the masses or fainthearted.

I'm for "dumbing" or "smarting" it to whatever level allows them to sell a boatload of them and keep the company in the $$$ to make more games. Going all hardcore balls to the wall might be great for super hardcore testosterone drenched pinsiders but if the numbers don't crunch to = more sales, it's pointless. There has to be a balance.

Randomize the message.

#11700 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Fingers crossed that the LE will be revealed at or before The Texas Pinball festival

Is it for sure going to be revealed then?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside