PXL_20240523_145229871 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240523_145441369 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240522_120844572 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-22 140349 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20190607_210830_Bokeh (resized).jpg
dome (resized).jpg
61nF69aZEFL._AC_SL1200_ (resized).jpg
Programming - Blank Servo Board.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 601 of 602.
#30001 77 days ago

I wanted to thank Averell again for his investment in the Alien game and
for its latest version 1.3 of the rules sheet.
I had a question: it would be possible to create a page in the book on the electronic part of the cards, with photos illustrating them by name and detailing their function. I think it could provide some knowledge.
I understand that this brings additional work.

#30002 77 days ago

Unfortunately we have no schematics or wiring diasgrams, so we have not so much information, but I think a later revision could have a section with some information about IOBoards and Powerdriver.

#30003 75 days ago

Hello everyone,

the design is ready and the files are going to China this evening.
They will check whether it is feasible and I will find out whether I can get a test board first.
If that works, we can think about having these things built.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#30004 75 days ago

Hello everyone.
It's really cool for the IO Averell card, more than waiting,
Would it also be possible to consider the xeno servo board which is not found?

#30005 75 days ago

Does anyone have any news regarding the new hyperAlien mod?

#30006 73 days ago

@enzare45:

Do you still have an issue with no more working flipper fingers sometimes?
Maybe you have an older I/O-Board installed without having deactivated coil current protection.
All I/O-Boards 1.4B have zero resistors, but their resistance is often higher as the resistors with 30 mOhm used before... tolerance.
That's why Heighway decided to bridge all zero resistors on both sides of the board.
Take a closer look to the I/O-Boards you have installed in your machine.
In detail they should look like this...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30007 73 days ago

Hi Averell,
Thanks for the suggestion. I still have an issue with the I/O board that controls the upper right flipper, VUK kick out, etc. Thought it was fixed when I moved the USB cable away from the coils, but the I/O board still cuts out every once in a while when the ball is in the POPs. Requires power cycling the game.

Does that sound like it could be related to your zero ohm resistor issue?

#30008 73 days ago

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to assess this precisely because we do not have any proper documentation.
But you can swap the I/O board with another one and see if the problem disappears or if the error occurs with other coils.
Interestingly, I have installed an I/O board that has no bridges and it still works without any problems.
The circuit of the boards at this point is also not so easy to understand.

#30009 72 days ago

Hello everyone,

we will start a small batch of new improved I/O-Boards next week and I like to pronounce that I'm working on a new release of the rulesheet for our beloved ALIEN.
The new release 1.4 will include some more technical information about Schematics, Wiring Diagrams and Circuit Theory and there will be some more sections regarding Troubleshooting, Nice to have and Tools.
You will find detailed information about how to use a coin controller, activate a hardware knocker, change misaligned Buttons and install a Shaker Motor.
There will also be a section about the ALIEN Tester, which was only produced in a very small number.

#30010 72 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,
we will start a small batch of new improved I/O-Boards next week and I like to pronounce that I'm working on a new release of the beloved rulesheet for our ALIEN.
The new release 1.4 will include some more technical information about Schematics, Wiring Diagrams and Circuit Theory and there will be some more sections regarding Troubleshooting, Nice to have and Tools.
You will find detailed information about how to use a coin controller, activate a hardware knocker, change misaligned Buttons and install a Shaker Motor.
There will also be a section about the ALIEN Tester, which was only produced in a very small number.

Looking foward to the I/O boards greatly!!

#30011 72 days ago

Hell yeah Averell

#30012 72 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,
we will start a small batch of new improved I/O-Boards next week and I like to pronounce that I'm working on a new release of the beloved rulesheet for our ALIEN.

Count me in

#30013 71 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,

we will start a small batch of new improved I/O-Boards next week and I like to pronounce that I'm working on a new release of the rulesheet for our beloved ALIEN.

Interested

#30014 70 days ago

Hello Averell
I checked the I/O cards they are all bridged I no longer have a problem thank you for any news on this subject

#30015 70 days ago

Can someone tell me if this is normal on the power supply board, the diode lights up steadily, it's D5 and the other flashes, the D1 start lamp? I have doubts? Does this show an abnormality detected in the pinball machine? do you have the same thing in your pinball machine? please reassure me

IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpgIMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
#30016 70 days ago

It seems working properly, but you should cover that area with a decal...

DSCN7035 (resized).JPGDSCN7035 (resized).JPG

DSCN8668 (resized).JPGDSCN8668 (resized).JPG

#30017 70 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,

Any chance you can call these boards V1.5 or V2.0 or just anything other than V1.4 so it will be obvious as to what board you are selling? Thanks for considering it.

#30018 69 days ago

Of course, they will be signed with 1.5 and they have another color and some changes in detail, so they are easy to identify.
But I think they will be hardly to get, because we have a limited batch first for Germany only.
I don't know who is selling these boards in the US or Canada?
Maybe someone can start a bulk order for the US and if enough boards come together, the colleague could contact China and make a batch for the US?
I'll be happy to send you the contact details, so it won't be a secret.
After all, we don't get any official support anymore, so we have to help ourselves.
There is no financial interest either, we just want to keep the Xenomorph alive.

#30019 69 days ago

Just gotta say, nice job Averell!!! I dont even own an Alien, but Ive watched this thread forever and your dedication is unmatched!

#30020 69 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Of course, they will be signed with 1.5 and they have another color and some changes in detail, so they are easy to identify.
But I think they will be hardly to get, because we have a limited batch first for Germany only.
I don't know who is selling these boards in the US or Canada?
Maybe someone can start a bulk order for the US and if enough boards come together, the colleague could contact China and make a batch for the US?
I'll be happy to send you the contact details, so it won't be a secret.
After all, we don't get any official support anymore, so we have to help ourselves.
There is no financial interest either, we just want to keep the Xenomorph alive.

And Australia?Certainly interested.

#30021 69 days ago

I don't know who is selling these boards in Australia either, but I definetely know that someone ordered that older soldered crap last summer.

#30022 69 days ago

I'm currently working on revision 1.4 of the Rulesheet & User Guide.
These are the new sections that will be released next time.

#30023 69 days ago

great job for all your involvement Averell and your services rendered to the Alien community and for France, it should also go for the I/O cards

#30024 69 days ago

hello MK6PIN
do you have any news regarding your future hypersleep Alien mod?

#30025 68 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I don't know who is selling these boards in Australia either, but I definetely know that someone ordered that older soldered crap last summer.

I have what you call older solder crap Io Boards 1.4b that work fine and have helped many alien owners as well as the xeno boards and many other alien boards, Inc Complete Xeno mechs, sensor boards leds, ball trough boards etc.

#30026 68 days ago

What you have... is nothing but an overpriced board that doesn't even work properly.
This also applies to the XENO boards with the stupid servo connection and the power supply board, which was fried so that it can be used without a toroidal transformer.
If Heighway had done his homework there wouldn't have been so much crap floating around.

#30027 64 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

What you have... is nothing but an overpriced board that doesn't even work properly.

So far mine has appeared to work properly. Please explain how it isn’t.

#30028 64 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

This also applies to the XENO boards with the stupid servo connection and the power supply board, which was fried so that it can be used without a toroidal transformer.
If Heighway had done his homework there wouldn't have been so much crap floating around.

Yes well the crap has helped people get dead games up and running and my original one works fine with these crap boards

#30029 64 days ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Yes well the crap has helped people get dead games up and running and my original one works fine with these crap boards

Yes, that is for sure.
My game is still running with its original boards, and for the worst case I have some spares. So if I had no spare boards I would be pretty happy to order a board from you to be safe for the next years.
However, what Averell is doing is top of the notch: He knows about flaws in the design and tries to eliminate this with the chines producer. That is no easy task and very risky ordering a batch of this expanded boards. We all will benefit from it.
I understand that not everybody, me included, understands about the function and flaws of this nodeboards nor is able to eliminate this flaws.

1 week later
#30030 57 days ago

@all:

I'm searching for any kind of schematics of PCBs to publish these in the next revision of the Rulesheet & User Guide.
If you like to share please send information to: [email protected]

1 week later
#30031 46 days ago

Today I resurrected a damaged I/O-Board, which never worked properly and always froze trying to update from 0.8 to 0.9.
I will publish the entire procedure in the next manual so that everyone is able to repair a defective I/O board themselves.
And believe me, it's very easy.

#30032 46 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Today I resurrected a damaged I/O-Board today, which never worked properly and always froze trying to update from 0.8 to 0.9.
I will publish the entire procedure in the next manual so that everyone is able to repair a defective I/O board themselves.
And believe me, it's very easy.

Awesome! Have 5 IO boards that do this.

#30033 46 days ago

All you need is to solder a 5-pin pin header at P1 and use a PICkit 3 (with MPLAB IPE v6.20 from Microchips) to read out the PIC32 from a properly working board.
But be careful what you do - keep a closer look at the voltage the PIC has to be read out with!
Then you can write this HEX-file into the "broken" boards and update them in the Pinball Machine.
You also can read out a working board from FT and write the information into an ALIEN-board. After updating the system, the Pinball Machine "recognize" the environment - it's the same.
Currently I'm writing down all the information and describe the process in the next release of the Rulesheet & User Guide.

#30034 44 days ago

Here we go...

#30035 40 days ago

Hi all
I would like to have your opinions I have a 12v LED lighting mod I would like to plug it directly into the 12v port card is it possible to do so? Thank you for your answers

IMG_20240228_104826 (resized).jpgIMG_20240228_104826 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#30036 32 days ago

Good morning,

here are some pictures of the first produced IO board Rev. 1.5.
The test board went through the production process and passed the functional tests on the workbench.
Next I will be sent this test board to check all the functions in the ALIEN.
In detail we have some other transistors, Metal Jumpers, solid USB and 5-pin Header.

#30037 26 days ago

Despite some confusion from FedEx (not possible), the test board has now arrived.
I have to say that the workmanship looks very good, I've already seen 1.4b that were cooked much worse.
Now I will first look at what software (bootloader) is on it and compare it with the latest version.
I then inserted the test board into the ALIEN - gradually on all interfaces - to ensure that everything works correctly.
So now it’s time to “keep your fingers crossed.”

PXL_20240429_170619948.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240429_170619948.MP (resized).jpg

PXL_20240429_170634397 (resized).jpgPXL_20240429_170634397 (resized).jpg

#30038 26 days ago

Just as I thought, Fastech uses the very first bootloader ever - version 0.6.
You can't do anything with that in ALIEN anymore.
I put the board as IO3 at the top of the playfield... so far everything is ok, communication is established and you can flash the board.
After updating to version 0.9, I validated the file again against the previously read file from my most current board - 100%.
In the next step, the Chinaman gets my HEX file and can write it into the microprocessor using the described procedure using PICkit.
Then all boards will be delivered with the latest version 0.9 and all you have to do is plug the things in and play.
So that would be done then.
I also noticed that a few components differ from the BOM, so I will consult about this and test the test board extensively in the ALIEN tomorrow or Wednesday.

#30039 25 days ago

Hello everyone,

I tested around for a while today and completely replaced the board in all four interfaces of the ALIEN - everything works perfectly.
The deviations in some components are due to the manufacturer used, but the values are all correct.
The Chinaman will use my exported HEX file, so the latest firmware 0.9 will then be installed directly.
The boards will be shipped on May 6th due to the holidays in China.

#30040 22 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,
I tested around for a while today and completely replaced the board in all four interfaces of the ALIEN - everything works perfectly.
The deviations in some components are due to the manufacturer used, but the values are all correct.
The Chinaman will use my exported HEX file, so the latest firmware 0.9 will then be installed directly.
The boards will be shipped on May 6th due to the holidays in China.
[quoted image]

That's great news Averell!

#30041 22 days ago

Help please, for some reason if someone double flips on my Alien all the flippers die except the upper right flipper. Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting?

#30042 22 days ago

I would look for the cause in the wiring and take a closer look at the IO boards.
It would be very interesting to know what could be causing this. I've only ever read that these problems exist, but haven't experienced them myself. What firmware do the IO boards have and what game revision does the machine run with? Does the ALIEN have a switching power supply or the toroidal transformer?

#30043 21 days ago

Hi everyone
I am about to buy some new Titan rubbers for my HW LE.
Anybody have a complete list with the rubber and post sizes needed?

#30044 21 days ago

Look into the Rulesheet...

#30045 21 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I would look for the cause in the wiring and take a closer look at the IO boards.
It would be very interesting to know what could be causing this. I've only ever read that these problems exist, but haven't experienced them myself. What firmware do the IO boards have and what game revision does the machine run with? Does the ALIEN have a switching power supply or the toroidal transformer?

I’m running version 1.4 and it has a switching power supply. I reseated the leads going to all the coils and found a couple loose connections and it seems to have fixed the problem. I’ve played a few games and double flipped the hell out of it and haven’t had any problems since so, fingers crossed, I’m hoping it was an easy fix. I’ll keep you all updated if it happens again. Thanks for the help!

#30046 20 days ago

Very good, we have actually only read about a few defective components recently. With the switching power supply, at least the 70 volt side should be stable.

#30047 20 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Look into the Rulesheet...
[quoted image]

Thanks

#30048 20 days ago

Was there ever made a flyer specially for the Heighway LE Version?

#30049 20 days ago
Quoted from marschner:

Was there ever made a flyer specially for the Heighway LE Version?

Not sure but here's what I have on Alien if you want to take a look:

https://nypinball.com/category/heighway-pinball/?s=alien&post_types=flyers

#30050 19 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

Not sure but here's what I have on Alien if you want to take a look:
https://nypinball.com/category/heighway-pinball/?s=alien&post_types=flyers

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

8,999 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 30,085 posts in this topic. You are on page 601 of 602.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/601 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.