zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 601.
#9251 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No, it doesn't require anything. They answer an email, take the money, issue an invoice, a truck arrives at the factory and it arrives in NZ x days later.
No effort required. No regulations, no red tape, nothing. Just a sale to a regular joe blow who happens to be shipping it somewhere.
rd

What I mean is them figuring out the cost to ship and what duties and tariffs are imposed and managing a custom order outside their normal web shop which introduces its own set of issues, manual credit card payments triggering fraud warnings with the bank etc. I've rarely had a simple process spending several thousand dollars on anything from overseas from a supplier that hasn't before shipped to New Zealand. Half the time they ignore me entirely, just too much hassle for one order. Maybe I've just always had bad luck!

#9252 7 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

What I mean is them figuring out the cost to ship and what duties and tariffs are imposed and managing a custom order

They don't do any of that. The buyer has to handle it. That's how export/import works.

When you are the Stern agent, they send the machines to a port and then its your problem to get them to wherever you want them. Stern issues you an Invoice, delivers the goods to the port (FOB) and you have to handle it from there.

When I bought my Spooky games, same deal as Heighway would be. I had a truck collect them from the factory, and now they are here in my house. No difference to Spooky if I am living 10 miles down the road or 8000 miles away. They put the machines on the cart dock and someone came and took them away.

Even easier for Heighway as NZ is same voltage/Hz as the UK. Just ship out a domestic U.K. game.

rd

#9253 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No, it doesn't require anything. They answer an email, take the money, issue an invoice, a truck arrives at the factory and it arrives in NZ x days later.
No effort required. No regulations, no red tape, nothing. Just a sale to a regular joe blow who happens to be shipping it somewhere.
rd

And what about knowing consumer laws regarding sales in NZ? Warranties? Import restrictions? Duties and taxes? Stuff the company should do due diligence on before doing business (even online) to other countries.

#9254 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And what about knowing consumer laws regarding sales in NZ? Warranties? Import restrictions? Duties and taxes? Stuff the company should do due diligence on before doing business (even online) to other countries.

If I import something from overseas, I get no more warranty than I get from the local Stern agents. Lol

I had a couple of small things to sort out with my Spooky pins, I received exactly the same support a local person would get if he needed it. Top notch.

All the taxes etc are the buyers responsibility to pay on arrival at port.

In NZ we only have to pay our version of VAT which is 15% based on the invoice supplied by the manufacturer. You can import anything you want as long as it is not an endangered species or live bees lol

Consumer laws don't apply to a company that is not based in NZ. If I buy an Alien pinball and it burns my house down, that's on me.

rd

#9255 7 years ago

Right, I see. If Heighway want to do it that way then I'd be happy with that. Will see how things pan out next year.

#9256 7 years ago

Just curious, Heighway will quote airfreight door to door right? Once you pay that charge what more does a consumer need to do other than track it and sign for it when it appears at your location?

#9257 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

what a crap statement that is
There is and will be Heighway Games in NZ,

You are right, you did make a "crap statement" but don't worry, your mum says your special and I'm sure you are.

None as of yet. However, hopefully in the near future.

#9258 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Just curious, Heighway will quote airfreight door to door right? Once you pay that charge what more does a consumer need to do other than track it and sign for it when it appears at your location?

Don't worry, our NZ discussion doesn't affect what they are offering you guys in the USA. Totally different scenario.

They are shipping themselves to a distribution point in the USA and trucking them from there. I believe you only have to pay the truck costs.

rd

#9259 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don't worry, our NZ discussion doesn't affect what they are offering you guys in the USA. Totally different scenario.
They are shipping themselves to a distribution point in the USA and trucking them from there. I believe you only have to pay the truck costs.
rd

Thanks for that clarification rotordave. I do recall now that being the case. I'm relieved.

#9260 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If I import something from overseas, I get no more warranty than I get from the local Stern agents. Lol
I had a couple of small things to sort out with my Spooky pins, I received exactly the same support a local person would get if he needed it. Top notch.
All the taxes etc are the buyers responsibility to pay on arrival at port.
In NZ we only have to pay our version of VAT which is 15% based on the invoice supplied by the manufacturer. You can import anything you want as long as it is not an endangered species or live bees lol
Consumer laws don't apply to a company that is not based in NZ. If I buy an Alien pinball and it burns my house down, that's on me.
rd

All assuming you took the responsibility to import the product.. and your view would apply if you basically bought the product overseas yourself and then imported it yourself. But when you sell international as a business, even online, more can be in play. For instance, your Fair Trade Act applies, even if the company isn't based in New Zealand if they are selling online to new zealand customers (see http://www.comcom.govt.nz/fair-trading/fair-trading-act-fact-sheets/buying-and-selling-online/) . They would also be responsible for ensuring the product meets the country's import and environmental constraints... because ultimately they would be the ones responsible for the shipment and declarations.. not the receiver.

Flying loose works most of the time.. but if you start doing things like shipping a container worth of goods.. or just high dollar items in general.. you sure need to know what costs you will face, what risks, and what steps must be taken.

#9261 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

In NZ we only have to pay our version of VAT which is 15% based on the invoice supplied by the manufacturer.
rd

Just a question Dave, if the invoice price includes the UK 20% vat tax do you have to pay both the UK20% AND the NZ tax when it arrives?

#9262 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

All assuming you took the responsibility to import the product.. and your view would apply if you basically bought the product overseas yourself and then imported it yourself

That's what I am referring to. Heighway aren't about to open a branch in NZ any time soon.

rd

#9263 7 years ago

VAT isn't charged for outside UK.

For Canada, I had my Full Throttle shipped air freight direct. The freight company did the brokerage for me, for a nominal fee, and they collected the 13% HST that we pay here. Not double taxed.

#9264 7 years ago

Any updates coming? Man I need something again, how about an in house video? Game looks great but

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#9265 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's correct. No UK VAT on exports. Tax is payable in your country if applicable.

rd

#9266 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Or Super Hi Invisible Tech (SHIT)

Quoted from Frax:

S hi T ? : P

Ha, ha. I didn't even think about that acronym when I posted but heck..... why not. "Heighway Pinball,..... our new games with revolutionary technology are The SHiT!!"

I like it.

QSS

#9267 7 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Just a question Dave, if the invoice price includes the UK 20% vat tax do you have to pay both the UK20% AND the NZ tax when it arrives?

Hey Toads. My understanding is that you should only need to pay HP their price excluding the UK 20% VAT given it is being exported or alternatively you need to claim back the VAT as part of the export. Once it lands is Aust, customs will ask you to pay the 10% GST and most likely import duty on top of this.

From Andrew's posts it looks like our local distributor here in Aust will be announced shortly. You should talk to Andrew as to what his approach will be for you guys (in Aust) that have already paid deposits, as to whether you still buy direct or if your orders will be changed to go via the distributor (clearly there'd be benefits of shared shipping costs although it may delay your machine)

Cheers

#9268 7 years ago

A couple of things I've recently seen for fans of the franchise:

Alien Queen Tree Ornament:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jgtp/

The Ultimate(ly expensive) Collection of Giger Art:
http://www.werd.com/36739/taschen-hr-giger-limited-collector’s-edition/

#9269 7 years ago

The fog machine hook-up is still a possibility.

Played Full Throttle 4 times in competition at Sanctum 24hr tournament. Very impressive flow.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9270 7 years ago

We only charge sales tax on UK and European retail orders.

European distributors who are registered for their equivalent of VAT/Sales Tax also do not get charged sales tax.

Anyone outside of the EU does not get charged any sales tax by us.

#9271 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We only charge sales tax on UK and European retail orders.
European distributors who are registered for their equivalent of VAT/Sales Tax also do not get charged sales tax.
Anyone outside of the EU does not get charged any sales tax by us.

Thanks Andrew, I will send you an email.

#9272 7 years ago

Just to add my experience of contacting Heighway after listening to the Spooky Pinball podcast interview of Andrew from Heighway. 2 emails over a 3 week period and still no reply.

Do not they want my money? Or at least follow up on sales enquiries.

#9273 7 years ago

Please accept our apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
We are overhauling many aspects of our business and are behind on emails. We are catching up - but not as quickly as we would like.
We do have an Australian distributer lined up, and will be announcing this shortly.
I will also personally respond to your email tomorrow.
Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I did re-send another email last Thursday referencing this exchange from last week on Pinside so you could identify me. I hope you got it ok.

Regards
Daniel

#9274 7 years ago

Whats happening Andrew? update please and thank you.

#9275 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

For Canada, I had my Full Throttle shipped air freight direct. The freight company did the brokerage for me, for a nominal fee, and they collected the 13% HST that we pay here. Not double taxed.

What did that end up costing you? PM me if you don't want to post it. Thanks Frolic

#9276 7 years ago

Any new info on Alien gameplay, videos, rules? I'm eagerly awaiting anything!

#9277 7 years ago

Thought u guys might like this balaclava

IMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPG

#9278 7 years ago

Hi everyone.

An update post will follow within the next 24 hours.

Thanks for your patience.

Andrew

#9279 7 years ago

Hi everyone.
An update post will follow within the next 24 hours.
Thanks for your patience.
Andrew

Now that sure beats, "Stay Tuned" !!

#9280 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Now that sure beats, "Stay Tuned" !!

Yes, very exciting!

#9281 7 years ago

8 hours to go....

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg

#9282 7 years ago

t-minus four hours and counting ....

alien29 (resized).jpgalien29 (resized).jpg

#9283 7 years ago

I can tell you the game is being played really a lot now in Budapest at the both of RS-Pinball.

At the Hungarian Pinball Open are a Full Throttle standard and one of the 2 Alien standard from the Expo ;

You find some pictures on Facebook and soon also Videos

RS-Pinball

#9284 7 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

I can tell you the game is being played really a lot now in Budapest at the both of RS-Pinball.
At the Hungarian Pinball Open are a Full Throttle standard and one of the 2 Alien standard from the Expo ;
You find some pictures on Facebook and soon also Videos
RS-Pinball

alien (resized).jpgalien (resized).jpg

#9285 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here is the promised update.

Everyone in the company, and involved with the company, is working flat out to release the first 20 Alien Pinball Standard Edition games in early December. 10 more games are due to follow before our 2 week Christmas/New Year shutdown (16th December - 2nd January).
These 10 games may or may not be LEs - depending on progress in the coming weeks.

100 LE games are scheduled for January, and every month thereafter, as a minimum. This means that we will be able to deliver games much faster to our customers in the future.

Expo and Pinside have proved invaluable feedback for our game. We have listened and made a few key changes, without bringing big delays to our production schedule. This means that everyone has had to work twice as hard in order to make such changes without causing any big delays.

So what changes have been made? We have made some significant alterations to the left ramp. Previously, the ball ricocheted off the target at the top of the ramp, and then stopped by hitting the platform wall. We never liked this shot either, and now the ramp has been changed at the top to bring the ball quickly 180 degrees back down the platform and to the left flipper. This now brings flow to a shot that previously had little.

The unloved "Queen Chamber" has now been removed and replaced with something else. We will reveal this feature as we get closer to our release date. The Queen is still planned to appear eleswhere - but again, we will reveal details of this later

We have also made a number of changes based on extensive play over the Expo period - such as fixing software bugs and making some playfield alterations, where there were ball hang ups, for example.

We made the decision not to publish videos that show entire modes being played out, as we feel that removed the excitement for players that want to explore the game themselves. Instead, we will show a number of teaser videos for some of the modes in the game. These teaser videos are designed to show some highlights of the mode, but do not reflect the depth of rules that exist in these modes.

A lot of work has gone into making the modes easy to understand and play - but then give a lot of depth to experienced/returning players at the same time.

We will release more videos over the coming weeks. After games have begun shipping, we will release a tutorial video that will explain the basic rules of the game.

We have replaced some staff and increased staff numbers in key areas such as technical support and customer service. We are catching up in all areas and aim to give the correct levels of service and support over the coming days and weeks.

Thanks for reading. Here is the "Bug Hunt" teaser video:

#9286 7 years ago

That gave me the chills. Glad to see a darker video and the sound / video , just amazing.

#9287 7 years ago

Whoa!!! This will be big for sure!!! Great clip!!!

#9288 7 years ago

Holy shit! Now that's what I expected that "secret video" to be like!

#9289 7 years ago

Thanks for fixing the left ramp shot!

#9290 7 years ago

Great stuff.

#9291 7 years ago

That video was awesome. Mode looks fun and the video ads to the suspense. My only fear is I would be watching the cut scenes. They looked beautiful on either screen. Well done Andrew and team.

#9292 7 years ago

Looks great! Any updates on the LE art?

#9293 7 years ago

Sweet

#9294 7 years ago

Sweet!

#9295 7 years ago

Wow. now that's the way to use a license.

#9296 7 years ago

Thanks Andrew, what a great video! I'm having a great time with my Full Throttle LE. Will you be including some Alien modules in the first or second quarter production of the new year for those of us with Full Throttle games or will they come after full game production?

#9297 7 years ago

My prediction: This game will be on the Pinside top 10 list within 6 months.

#9298 7 years ago

awesome!!!!!!

#9299 7 years ago

Great update and great job Andrew and team!! This pin keeps getting better and better!! Can't wait to see the final version!!

Brian

#9300 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

That video was awesome. Mode looks fun and the video ads to the suspense. My only fear is I would be watching the cut scenes. They looked beautiful on either screen. Well done Andrew and team.

No cut scenes. Everything is custom edited, and the pace is quick. You can skip the longer stuff like mode intro animations with a double tap, but they're not super long, maybe 8 seconds if I recall. Scenes edited together to set the mood, a title treatment, and David Thiel's audio.

The only "movie clips" are the slow panning scenes that play behind the game credits.

Kelly and I worked together on a lot of tests and samples to get the glitchy analog look of the videos right. Alien is a world of CRT screens, used equipment, dirt, it's lived in. We wanted the videos to match that feeling. A little bit of VHS action.

The full screen clips in that video are taken straight from the source files, that's why you don't see the dashboard overlay with the scores etc. That's composited in game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
9,999 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/186 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.