• 25,535 posts
  • 1,000 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 272 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,007 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ALIEN (resized).PNG
DSCN7187 (resized).JPG
DSCN7186 (resized).JPG
DSCN7185 (resized).JPG
DSCN7184 (resized).JPG
DSCN7178 (resized).JPG
DSCN7176 (resized).JPG
DSCN7037 (resized).JPG
DSCN7036 (resized).JPG
DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
DSCN7030 (resized).JPG
DSCN7029 (resized).JPG
Elm-HCG-Alien-Queen-2018-8-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpg
IMG_2645 (resized).jpg
F6EDF501-8119-424A-B55D-1BA15F1CA890 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25535 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 511.
#2601 3 years ago

would love to see a spinner on the right orbit of aliens!

#2602 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Me too! Remember, this is in Wales, I haven't flipped it. I'm as excited as any of you to get to play it. 4 flippers, and they all have real and meaningful shots? Yes please. This isn't another fan layout, there's something new going on here.

Agreed. Full Throttle for me was a breath of fresh air too. Different layout with unique feeling shots. I love what Heighway is doing.

As soon as there in stock somewhere in the US I'm going to pick one up and then add an Alien playfield when it comes out.

#2603 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the shot map and a clearer photo. There are actually a fair amount of changes, more shots, and more flow. The shot map came out a bit ago, so this isn't Expo news, just the physical whitewood.
Alien Shot Map
Alien Whitewood
Edit: also, I should note that the whitewood is still in a testing phase. So beyond just not having ramps yet, there are other things. Like the standups on the right are temporary, those are going to be drop targets.

that is awesome...

#2604 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

would love to see a spinner on the right orbit of aliens!

There's already one on the left.

This layout is so much more interesting than anything we've seen in years! Upper flippers with more than one meaningful shot to aim for! Love it.

Also, that clockwise ramp! It's rare that you'll have a upper RIGHT flipper ramp shot that delivers the ball to the lower RIGHT flipper! Very cool (and a little awkward in the best way possible)!

#2605 3 years ago

https://img-f.pinside.com/201510/2748492/465227-i.jpg

Could the dot above the translight be a camera? I thought there was talk of online connectivity and maybe the camera could be for streaming purposes. One of these days someone is going to make a machine that can connect via Wi-Fi where high scores and gameplay can be directly uploaded. I see it coming.

#2606 3 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

There's already one on the left.

I like symmetry of spinners and ripping one on an arbit shot

#2607 3 years ago

I would also like to see the return or lighting a spinner to increase value! and an insert light to go along with it.

#2609 3 years ago

Hey Aurich, awesome work on the art package as revealed so far

I'm curious, have you petitioned Andrew to adopt a single-colour version of the Heighway logo? It has been commented that the Heighway logo sticks out like a sore thumb on the artwork. Looking at how the B/W logos were treated, in a single colour matching palette of the art, they really came across being a mark of pride (particularly the Bally logo IMO).

Heighway logo isn't in the same league as the B/W logos (which is a shame — it should be) but at the very least a single colour version would integrate better with the art package.

Looking closer at the logo it is already irrelevant, depicting a game with a traditional backbox shape and DMD.

#2610 3 years ago

For the preorder folks:

If Heighway removed the playfield screen but gave you the small screen in backglass as an included feature but offered the large screen as an upgrade, would this be a deal breaker?

#2611 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:
If Heighway removed the playfield screen but gave you the small screen in backglass as an included feature but offered the large screen as an upgrade, would this be a deal breaker?

I'm not in on a pre-order but intend to purchase at some stage next year.

I can't imagine why in the world they would remove the playfield screen. And if they did I'd be disappointed because it's one reason I am attracted to the Heighway platform. For my purposes I wouldn't even front up the cash for either backbox display. Just the playfield one is fine for me.

#2612 3 years ago

I'm not in on the pre order either, but personally, I don't like the playfield screen.

I played quite a bit of Full Throttle and didn't even look at it. I didn't like the look of the wood around the screen either. I much prefer the screen in the backbox.

I prefer the look and the way a regular playfield plays vs one with a portion of it as plastic. There are great games with plastic as part of them: ACDC, CFTBL, Congo for example, but I would prefer not to have that in every Heighway game.

#2613 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I can't imagine why in the world they would remove the playfield screen

like it...you don't look up that much during game. makes sense.

#2614 3 years ago

I'm loving the layout, L ramp looks like an upside down ramp (whatever you call it) like PotC

#2615 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm loving the layout, L ramp looks like an upside down ramp (whatever you call it) like PotC

I dunno where this name came from, but I've heard people refer to that as a reverse-o-matic.

#2617 3 years ago

I would like the screen removed from the playfield for 2 reasons;

1) any edge a ball rolls over is a potential chip/wear point.
2) price of add on playfields will be higher if you have to pay for a display every time.

#2618 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:

It is part of their philosophy. I don't think that this is changed anytime soon.

A deal breaker, not for me. The biggest appeal for me is the modular concept. Having room for just one pin and having the possibility of owning many games is just great.

Heighway uses new technology now and I think will do so in the future. They also have innovative designs and the virtual to physical conversion of pins has many advantages.

They make many parts in-house, have set a goal to assemble a pin in 6-8 hours. And are shipping pins now.

Andrew and his team are great to talk to and I think they will achieve that Heighway will become a big player in the entertainment industry.

So will the playfield screen removal be a deal breaker.......I don't think so

#2619 3 years ago

Looking at that whitewood I wonder how it would work to remove the post in front of the UR flipper and tweak the orbit guide to allow for orbit shots from the UL flipper while UR is held up.

I'm sure that post is there for a reason (flipper mech protection?) and if the orbit guide was tweaked to allow for this then it wouldn't feed from there to the LR flipper, it would be a WCS-style orbit feed into the slings.

#2620 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:

What is awesome is that I have an upgrade path should i want it as well as swapping out the games. Could not feel better about buying Full throttle and most importantly its fun!

#2621 3 years ago

I was bored so I decided to look a bit closer at the Alien shot map

The amount of shots and features on this game is incredible. Just take a look at what you can hit from each flipper.
(A few of the shots is not 100% certain)

Lower left flipper:

1. Left ramp (perhaps),
2. Airlock and 2 weapon targets near the queen
3. 2 xenomorph targets and magnet
4. Right ramp and 2 weapon targets
5. Chest buster lane/drop target/magnet (perhaps)
6. Right orbit
7. Weapon target right above the shot to the shooter lane
8. 3 bank drop targets on the right

Upper left flipper:

1. Shot into the shooter lane and weapon target above it
2. Right orbit (perhaps)
3. Chest buster lane/drop target/magnet
5. 3 bank drop target bank
6. Shot to the bumpers (perhaps?)

Lower right flipper:

1. Scoop/Air lock 1 on the far left
2. Shot under the upper left flipper when in up position (perhaps)
3. Left orbit with spinner
4. Left ramp
5. Airlock scoop and 2 weapon targets near the queen
6. 2 xenomorph targets and magnet
7. Right ramp and 2 weapon targets

Upper right flipper

1. Time target
2. Upper left ramp
3. Upper left lane/Airlock 3 with magnet/ loop possibilities
4. Airlock scoop and 2 weapon targets near the queen

Features:

1. Right outlane Space jockey feature
2. Rotating Queen toy feature (looking forward to seeing them fit this one in there )
3. Xenomorphic Toy, with a tongue to follow :O
4. 3-bank drop-target
5. Chestburster drop-target
6. 2 magnets. one for the xenomorph tongue and one for the chest burster
7. 3 ramps
8. 4 flippers
9. 5 small weapon stand-up targets, 1 small time target, 2 big xenomorph stand-up targets
10 At least one spinner
11. 3 Egg chamber pop-bumpers with 2 top-lanes
12. 2 scoops (left lane and queen airlock)

Choose to play either Alien or Aliens movie when you start the game and continue to the next movie when one is finished

Have I forgotten anything?

The only thing I am missing from the first cad drawings of importance is the upper middle lane to the bumpers,
but we got the xenomorph instead. Not a bad trade-off

#2622 3 years ago

Layout looks a lot like X-Men... one of my favorites... lots of shots.

#2623 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

There are a couple posts that can pop up in the orbit in different spots to direct the ball, so the code can change that orbit flow.

#2624 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Layout looks a lot like X-Men... one of my favorites... lots of shots.

Oh no! As long as Wolvie isn't crowding the left part of the play field.

#2625 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:

It's Never going to happen. It's their trademark design feature & a cornerstone to their design philosophy.

#2626 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:

No, but it would be dissapointing, and its not going to happen so who cares really?

#2627 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh no! As long as Wolvie isn't crowding the left part of the play field.

alien_vs_wolverine_by_pipin.jpg

#2628 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

The amount of shots and features on this game is incredible. Just take a look at what you can hit from each flipper.
Lower left flipper:
1. Left ramp (perhaps),
6. Right orbit
Upper left flipper:
2. Right orbit (perhaps)
Lower right flipper:
4. Left ramp
Upper right flipper
1. Time target
2. Upper left ramp
Features:
2. Rotating Queen toy feature (looking forward to seeing them fit this one in there )
4. 3-bank drop-target
7. 3 ramps
8. 4 flippers
9. 5 small weapon stand-up targets, 1 small time target, 2 big xenomorph stand-up targets
10 At least one spinner
Choose to play either Alien or Aliens movie when you start the game and continue to the next movie when one is finished
The only thing I am missing from the first cad drawings of importance is the upper middle lane to the bumpers,

Great post.

I'm not knocking Stern, they make great games. but it's been a while since I've seen angles and shots like this game (RBION is an oldie). XM is a good example of a pin with a lot of shots which I love, but Alien being a Wide Body pin will have a few extra inches of room and even more flippers and shots and unlike The Hobbit the upper flippers actually have shots that can't be hit by the main flippers.

#2629 3 years ago

My main concern (as always) is the code. Hard to know if this game will be as good or better than typical modern games. Hopefully it will be deep and interesting with lots of strategy and missions both scoring as well as story based rules.

#2630 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm not in on the pre order either, but personally, I don't like the playfield screen.
I played quite a bit of Full Throttle and didn't even look at it.

I'm with you. I don't like the idea of a score and animations permanently sitting in your eye-line. I don't like the idea of the ball going over animation in the screen. I just think a better use of the table would be for art and lights. I also don't like the idea of a wooden/black border around the screen.

I like the old-school DMD approach. The dots. It's abstract but quite interesting too. And it needs to be in the back box.

Bring back the dots!! Full color though, and in a modern LCD.

Also, it's going to be faster, cheaper, easier, to make animation for this type of display. A LCD which is say 1024x768 or 1920x1080, is going to need 3D rendered graphics and hi-res artwork. I can see when the pressure is on to make a deadline things could get compromised, resulting in less than exciting art.

#2631 3 years ago

I respectfully disagree voodle

While I haven't had the opportunity to play FTH, I do enjoy the score displays embedded in the playfield of games like Black Hole, Wheel of Fortune, and particularly cocktail pinballs like Caribbean Cruise and Night Moves.

I totally understand the potential issues with a bright display in the middle of the PF making it difficult for your eyes to keep on the action. I find some games with lots of inserts in the middle of the PF that have bad strobing LED jobs done on them quite difficult to keep my eyes on the action (e.g, No Fear). There are two ways to combat this: use dark/black background on the display graphics, offer the ability to dial down the display brightness (is this possible with FTH?).

I also understand the rose tinted appeal of the DMD but Heighway is looking to the future. I'm not sure I agree that LCD display necessarily means more work. Programming dots on a DMD looks like a pain in the ass to me and at this point it is an anachronism that few designers/programmers in the world understand how to work with. Just look at the hundreds of thousands of excellent-looking video game interfaces created for consoles, PCs, smart phones and tablets these days. Heighway's LCD joins the modern era, leaving the vanishingly small niche of DMD programming in the past where it belongs, IMO. The fact that there is an order of magnitude (or three) more talent to draw from means Heighway won't have any trouble getting great UI designs in a timely manner for their games.

#2632 3 years ago

Whatever they make I hope their next game gets as much attention and demand as Alien!! Look at Addams Family followed by Twilight Zone. Didn't sell nearly as many. Having said that, I actually prefer Twilight Zone. Then again, I'm probably one of the only ones that likes Monopoly!

#2633 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For the preorder folks:

No, but not happening.....looking forward to screen on playfield and large in back box.....but mostly looking forward to a Killer game!!!

#2634 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Lower left flipper:
1. Left ramp (perhaps),
6. Right orbit
Upper left flipper:
2. Right orbit (perhaps)
Lower right flipper:
4. Left ramp
Upper right flipper
1. Time target
2. Upper left ramp
Features:
4. 3-bank drop-target
7. 3 ramps
8. 4 flippers
10 At least one spinner

Wow...just wow!!!

#2635 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Lower left flipper:

It certainly looks as though you can't shoot this lane from the lower left flipper. Looks like the only way is to shoot from the upper left flipper. I wonder what the feed from the scoop will be like to set up shots from this flipper. Scoop ejects tend to be a lot faster than saucer ejects so it might be quite tough!

And I reckon you could shoot from the lower left flipper though the shooter lane gate by caroming off a raised upper right flipper. Could be some interesting carom kinetics to play around with up there!

#2636 3 years ago

Any hint if LE's still left?....just curious....500 not a big #.....

#2637 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Any hint if LE's still left?....just curious....500 not a big #.....

Not sold out that I'm aware of. I would guess they'll be easy to find until the full package is revealed. Hoping they vanish fast after that!

#2638 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Programming dots on a DMD looks like a pain in the ass to me and at this point it is an anachronism that few designers/programmers in the world understand how to work with.

I would agree with this. Just look at Stern and how they use ripped video instead of actual dedicated animation. The art of the DMD is sadly already dead but their were some good years.

#2639 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not sold out that I'm aware of. I would guess they'll be easy to find until the full package is revealed. Hoping they vanish fast after that!

I think this game is gonna rock.

#2640 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just made the layout I needed to do as interesting as possible, with lots of detail, and I think it will light up great, and be instantly recognizable by fans of the films.

Aurich -

I am a huge fan of the Alien Franchise. I paid crazy money for a DVD player when they first became available and Alien was the first box set that I bought.

From what I see - you took a what could have been a super dark and boring Alien Egg back glass and with a limited color palette you created an interesting design that is indeed instantly recognizable by film fans - and took full advantage of the canvas provided by a pinball back glass. Excellent job.

Not sure if you are you really serious about putting this on the speaker panel? I don't see it since the colors would definitely detract from the required egg background - and I know you could do something much cooler - but hey - I admittedly have no artistic talent.

Weyland-Yutani_logo.jpg

Nothing but mad respect for your skills. Kudos!

Seeing your work makes me want to pre-order the game.

#2641 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

alien_vs_wolverine_by_pipin.jpg

This reminded me of this superpower beatdown

#2642 3 years ago

.....and that guy went too far lol

#2643 3 years ago

I say slap the Weyland logo on everything, like in the movie. Ridley even put tiny WY logos on their sleep pop underwear.

#2644 3 years ago
Quoted from Perspex:

I say slap the Weyland logo on everything, like in the movie. Ridley even put tiny WY logos on their sleep pop underwear.

I will definitely appear in the game, their branding being all over is part of the vibe of the film.

#2645 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I will definitely appear in the game, their branding being all over is part of the vibe of the film.

Oh you will, will you?

#2647 3 years ago

I'll admit I have not paid any attention to Full Throttle and Heighway pinball UNTIL I went to their expo party at twin peaks. I was blown away by how fun full throttle was and seriously considering purchasing one now. And very excited to see more of Alien soon! Great job Heighway and crew!

#2648 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's the shot map and a clearer photo. There are actually a fair amount of changes, more shots, and more flow. The shot map came out a bit ago, so this isn't Expo news, just the physical whitewood.

That looks awesome!! I never thought I would get so excited over a drawing and photo of a pretty much blank playfield. I cannot wait to see this thing finished...

#2649 3 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

I'll admit I have not paid any attention to Full Throttle and Heighway pinball UNTIL I went to their expo party at twin peaks. I was blown away by how fun Full Throttle was and seriously considering purchasing one now. And very excited to see more of Alien soon! Great job Heighway and crew!

I heard a lot of variations on this at Expo. "I wasn't interested in Full Throttle until I played it" stuff. The theme just doesn't grab Americans off the bat, we don't follow Moto GP. But it's just a lot of fun to shoot.

#2650 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I heard a lot of variations on this at Expo. "I wasn't interested in Full Throttle until I played it" stuff. The theme just doesn't grab Americans off the bat, we don't follow Moto GP. But it's just a lot of fun to shoot.

Should slap a few sharks on there and call it Moto Shark, who doesn't love sharks?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 229.99
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 47.00
There are 25535 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 511.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside