• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 493.
#8901 2 years ago

Personally i am going to go the route of making some vinyl alien side art to trick out the cabinet. I will give no fucks if that art stays on if i swap out a FT playfield to play for awhile

-Jeff

#8902 2 years ago

I raise my hand.
(Wouldn't know how else I could store all parts in my apartment.)

#8903 2 years ago
Quoted from Farhan:

just tucking it away in a box doesn't seem like a viable option.

tuck it somewhere else then. This is the system. What should it be in? A bag? A bottle? A display case? Where the *&^% else would you store it other than a box for crying out loud? You don't think this will work. Noted.

How is Alien? There are about 6 or 7 pages of comments right after Expo describing it.

#8904 2 years ago

HUH? People buy pinball machines 100% based on how they look? I think the Heighway cabinets look pretty crappy. I think the backlit art is cool, but the huge black voids around it looks like ass. You know what? I'm 100% in on Alien and Full Throttle. I couldn't give a rip what the side of the cabinet looks like. I have almost 30 games and you know how many of them I can see the side of the cabinet on? Only 3. I know some people care, but when the games are in a row, I just don't get why the cabinet matters. I can guaranty you, nobody is basing their purchase decision 100% on how the cabinet looks. smh

#8905 2 years ago

Lol so many complaints about storing the boxed PFs. Do people not have closets?

#8906 2 years ago

If you have to sign your posts that way, you're doing it wrong.

#8907 2 years ago

So you speak for 90% of the pinball community?
I think swappable playfields are a great idea .

#8908 2 years ago

Hi Kaneda.

#8909 2 years ago

A LOT of incognito trolling in this thread. Perhaps it's just one person, but they're super bitter and have a serious hard-on for Heighway to fail.

#8910 2 years ago

Raises hand. The perfect place to put pinball related stuff. I also have an RFM and keep the Episode 1 playfield stored underneath it.

#8911 2 years ago

Whatever you say Kaneda.

#8912 2 years ago

Re: modularity, in principle it's a great idea. In practice I don't think it will work all that well due to a number of issues, whether it be in the Heighway form (price, space etc) or the P3 model (technology isn't ideal yet). Also, both really need the kind of scale that neither is likely to achieve in the near term.

I suspect in the next 2-5 years someone will nail the P2K / Heighway model, and 4-10 years the P3 model. But I don't expect either to hit the ground running right now.

For the record, I think the latter will be way more compelling once 240hz 4k / 8k QD/microLED/OLEDs are available and cheap enough to replace the PF. Especially as with inkjet printing it will become way easier to order displays with cut outs and custom sizes and shapes.

#8913 2 years ago

Honestly, I liked playing Full Throttle, but the theme isn't for me. I like the shot map in it, but I couldn't care less about motogp (and I say that as someone who owns 5 motorcycles). With that in mind, I don't care about changing the playfield out, and I won't until I see what the next theme they come out with is. So, based on timelines so far, I doubt I'll need to care for a couple more years. In the meantime, it will be an Alien pin, which is all I care about anyways. Alien is a dream theme for me, and as far as I'm concerned Heighway has knocked it out of the park with this one. Would I have done some (minor) things differently? Sure, but I'm not making the pin, so I can live with those minor things I would change if I was.

#8914 2 years ago

I have tons of shit under my pins! It's great storage space.

#8915 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Word. The government is going to tax that space even if I'm only putting AIR under there, might as well use it.

#8916 2 years ago

Heh-HEM.

IMG_0432 (resized).JPG

#8917 2 years ago

You guys got a lot of junk under your machines. CLEAN IT UP.

#8919 2 years ago

Haha

#8920 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ok, you can continue repeating yourself now.

Ha, like no one else repeats themselves in this thread or any other thread? This thread would be 100 pages instead of 178 if people didn't keep repeating their opinion over and over.

#8921 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

if people didn't keep repeating their opinion over and over.

Can someone explain the "swap" system to me?

#8922 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Can someone explain the "swap" system to me?

#8923 2 years ago

I think everyone is guilty of this and has to raise their hand, you have to put that subwoofer enclosure somewhere.

#8924 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup, me too.

#8925 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Re: modularity, in principle it's a great idea. In practice I don't think it will work all that well due to a number of issues, whether it be in the Heighway form (price, space etc) or the P3 model (technology isn't ideal yet). Also, both really need the kind of scale that neither is likely to achieve in the near term.

I agree. The modular systems aren't a selling point to me at all. The only game I'm interested in is Alien, so swapping doesn't even enter in the picture for me.

#8926 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I agree. The modular systems aren't a selling point to me at all. The only game I'm interested in is Alien, so swapping doesn't even enter in the picture for me.

...but lets say Heighway sticks around and in a year or two they come out with another game you think is super sweet....and you don't feel like taking up room with another cabinet. Get a kit! New game for less than usual. It's a cool option, if it all pans out.

#8927 2 years ago

People are buying a lot of playfields to mount to their walls and light up. I was wondering how hard it would be to build a cabinet for the wall to hang the playfield in, maybe even plug it in while not in use to light it up during fun time. Not too handy or electrical, so could be harder to do than say, but I thought this would be a good option for storage of the playfield when not in use and show it off.

#8928 2 years ago

I'll be considering an Alien once it's been available for at least 6 months and the gameplay has been proven and any issues debugged. But I sure do wish there was an option for a normal cabinet with awesome artwork. I'll never consider swapping a playfield and having $4000 sitting in a closet or in a box under the cabinet, at least not while Full Throttle is the only other game option.

Too bad that the swappable cabinet and normal cabinet with artwork aren't both options available to buyers. I was also happy to see some gameplay videos from Expo because the secret video that was supposed to blow everyone away was severely underwhelming. Kinda disappointed in the cheerleaders who kept hyping that secret video and telling everyone to send their money because of it. Really? That video blew your socks off when you saw it and you sent money in because of it? Meh. The gameplay videos from Expo were much much better than the in house marketing video and a new in house video should be created to show the game off.

#8929 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a cool option, if it all pans out.

I definitely agree with that. With prices the way they are, a package that came with a cabinet and 2 or 3 compelling games would be really, really strong.

Gotta have those killer games though.

#8930 2 years ago

Quickly carved this yesterday for my friend's Halloween party tonight:

IMG_20161029_200156 (resized).jpg

#8931 2 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I get the chest buster but that could be interpreted other ways!

So is there any word at this point on what Heighway's next pin will be?

#8932 2 years ago
Quoted from nman:

When seen in the dark some kid's parent's will probably call the cops on your friend

#8933 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

When seen in the dark some kid's parent's will probably call the cops on your friend

Ha, yeah. No kids here, but there have already been some amusing poses with it for pictures

#8934 2 years ago

I must say....Full Throttle was not a theme I was interested in, but literally blew me away with the flow and speed when I played it at Expo. It was truly a " fun" play, and some of the loop shots were refreshingly new for me. This only reinforces my take on Alien, and my excitement on future titles.

Can't put my finger on it, but the games felt very, very solid, and had a very satisfying element to gameplay. ( don't know if this fits into current thread activity, but figured I'd post it)....

#8935 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I must say....Full Throttle was not a theme I was interested in, but literally blew me away with the flow and speed when I played it at Expo. It was truly a " fun" play, and some of the loop shots were refreshingly new for me

It's a fun game to play. Shame some people seem to have a hang up on the theme.

rd

#8936 2 years ago
Quoted from keithrh76:

People are buying a lot of playfields to mount to their walls and light up. I was wondering how hard it would be to build a cabinet for the wall to hang the playfield in, maybe even plug it in while not in use to light it up during fun time. Not too handy or electrical, so could be harder to do than say, but I thought this would be a good option for storage of the playfield when not in use and show it off.

I was thinking this exact thing before I read your post. Perhaps the a controller for the light matrix could be supplied so that your wall mounted spare game could be in full attract mode. That would be much better than a cardboard shipping container laying on the floor.

#8937 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Perhaps the a controller for the light matrix could be supplied so that your wall mounted spare game could be in full attract mode. That would be much better than a cardboard shipping container laying on the floor.

You'd wanna make sure the brackets on the wall were pretty beefy ... or else, booooofo!

"Hello Heighway, my playfield broke into 3 pieces, can you tell me what glue to use to fix it?"

rd

#8938 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's a fun game to play. Shame some people seem to have a hang up on the theme.
rd

Thing is, I really enjoying playing it, I just have limited space for pins so it's not a must-have theme for me. I might consider picking up a pf for it once I have my Alien, but I think it would just be to play for a while then swap back out with Alien.

#8939 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I was thinking this exact thing before I read your post. Perhaps the a controller for the light matrix could be supplied so that your wall mounted spare game could be in full attract mode. That would be much better than a cardboard shipping container laying on the floor.

The problem is that we are talking about a populated playfield, that would collect dust for weeks, if not months, while being displayed on the wall. Unsure if that would be very healthy in the long run?

Now you could imagine a cocktail table with a transparent box and the same controller for the light matrix...

#8940 2 years ago
Quoted from keithrh76:

I was wondering how hard it would be to build a cabinet for the wall to hang the playfield in, maybe even plug it in while not in use to light it up during fun time.

Are you listening HeighwayPinball? Another option to add to your options list? Build a box that the playfield plugs into and runs some 'attract/lighting code' which is mountable and displayable. Maybe even have different models with options like speakers with an on/off switch?? I'm sure you would sell a lot of these.

#8943 2 years ago

Rant mode on:

Why are some people so hung up on the swap system. If that is not your thing, then just buy complete machines instead.

Heighway is still reasonable prized. Nobody is forcing you to buy playfield kits. It's an option, and a very good option at that, for a lot of us.

If you don't care for the cabinet design, and that part of having a pinball machine is important to you, then buy another machine from a different company. It is what it is (for better or worse)

Every 3 months, the same discussions cycle back. (it wouldn't surprise me if it is the same people who keep bringing it up.)

If every company did it like Stern, with hardly any new innovations at all, we would be worse off. These new companies, with new ideas are what drives the hobby forward. They do this with a big risk to themselves. Charting the unknown and moving the hobby forward is dangerous territory. They should all be congratulated, not frowned upon!!!

The argument that if this was a smart solution, Stern would have done it long ago is silly, at best. Stern is never pioneers at anything.

Warning: Stern Rant incoming!

Would we even have LCD in Stern machines if not for these companies? No! They are all about cost cutting and squeezing as much out of customers as they can. Would we even have original cool artwork from new talent at Stern if it where not for the competition? I have my doubts.

If you don't like change,(or just small refinements added to what is a known and beloved formula) then stick with Stern and be happy. But for me, the only reason why I still buy Stern machines is because of the talent they brought to their company from Williams. That is the only difference to me, at least, from the Sega machines most of us do not care for and Stern. Just think of Stern machines without people like Steve R, George G, Lyman S, etc. And all of those talented creators have fought an uphill battle with Stern, all the way from the beginning.

But, hey, they have survived for a long time, doing it their way so that is fine, and I respect them for that.

In my view, there are mainly four factors that Stern should be very thankful for and these are the reason why they are doing so well at the moment. It all happened ca 2012

01. Those who were ca 20 years old and hung around in bars ca 1992 when machines like TAF made a big splash are now in their early 40's and are ripe and ready for nostalgia
02. The Pinball arcade App was launched. Mock it if you will, but this had a pretty huge impact on getting new people into the hobby (and old ones who had forgot how much fun pinball can be)
03. Jersey Jack
04. Stern had a Surprise big hit with their great title, Ac/Dc after rehiring Steve R. Perfect timing

Edit: I will tag along a fifth reason: 05. People not understanding that a premium = Standard and a Pro = Cost cutting, but with old standard sales prizes

You can disagree with a lot of what I have ranted about here, but if you disagree that all the new companies in the pinball industry is a good thing, (something it sounds like in some of the posts on pinside) you are out of touch with reality (in my humble opinion)

Happy flippin'

#8944 2 years ago

You talk a lot.
I have Alien coming with a Full Throttle playfield in the same order. That's called putting my money where my mouth is. Buy/don't buy, who cares what you do. Who cares what I do?
At the first opportunity to buy one Heighway cabinet and two playfields I am doing so. Don't know what else I can say to the point.

#8946 2 years ago

Oh Mike you really need to have a clean up under those machines.

#8948 2 years ago

It's hardly a negative issue to get so hung up on, yeah currently it might be of little benefit to most of us and not a selling point but if Heighway drop killer themes for games #3 & #4 and can reduce production length at the same time and get their next 2 or 3 games out faster then the system might become very useful for some pinheads with limited space.

I agree I'd want more art on display with Alien and if once i have Alien I plan to never swap that particular game I'll make a set of custom decals, easy!

#8949 2 years ago

Breathe Kaneda! 1...2...3 breathe, 1...2...3 breathe, remember what the therapist said, remain calm, ignore all of those voices and breathe

Pinball is supposed to be fun bro you need to chill out and not take sh*t so serious, no pinball company is perfect but aslong as their all a little different it gives us choices & options man and that ain't a bad thing, so have a smoke and chill

#8950 2 years ago

IF this was true, then what is so wrong with that? Are you just here to trumpet that something has failed? Are you pointing out failure as if it's a bad thing? Failures happen all the time, and are called learning opportunities. People who TRY a LOT of things know this to be true.

How exactly would you like to quantify that? Let's say that Andrew Heighway has access to so much generous funding that he doesn't care how long it takes to get things going. Let's say the pockets at Multimorphic are deep enough so that the boys never get forced out of what they are doing and to go get a real job. Then what? What do you shout about then?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside