DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 159 of 601.
#7901 7 years ago

Looks great team! Very excited. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more later in the week.

#7902 7 years ago

Ok.
Why is it in 2 parts? On the pic, one seems to be lit but not the other?

#7903 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Ok.
Why is it in 2 parts? On the pic, one seems to be lit but not the other?

Guess the game is in attract mode?

#7904 7 years ago

The image doesn't have high enough resolution to tell for sure but it looks to me like the two inserts of the hypersleep ball saver outlane are 'SCREAM' and 'AGAIN'. In the photo 'SCREAM' arrow is unlit because it has been claimed and so the 'SCREAM' insert above the outhole is lit.

I'm guessing you have to get both hypersleep inserts to fully light 'SCREAM AGAIN' in order to have the ball saver activate. I wonder if it is like a kickback where only balls down the left outline will be saved, or whether any drained balls will be saved?

#7905 7 years ago

The more I look at the pictures the more I get excited!

#7906 7 years ago

Maybe this was answered but what is the reason the ramps aren't clear like in Full Throttle? I feel the fiber optic lit ramps really give a futuristic vibe.

#7907 7 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I'm guessing you have to get both hypersleep inserts to fully light 'SCREAM AGAIN' in order to have the ball saver activate. I wonder if it is like a kickback where only balls down the left outline will be saved, or whether any drained balls will be saved?

Scream Again is a normal ball saver, and when lit, any balls drained will be returned in the normal way. The left 'Revive' feature comes into play when physical balls are locked in the Hypersleep Chamber (left ramp). If you have a ball locked and a ball drains on the left side, 1 of the locked balls will be released into play - you are revived. You then have to lock that ball again.

But only 1 of the revive lanes will be lit (at random) so some furious nudging is required to get the ball into the correct lane for the revive.

#7908 7 years ago

i was just answering first about the shoot again insert that i couldn't located.

what is the link with the ball saver? what are the scream again inserts?

#7909 7 years ago

Is the final ball arch going to be off center from the flippers like that? Is Full Throttle that way? Maybe it's just because it's missing the final artwork, but it looks like the wrong size was put in.

Also, did the game lose a manual plunger as the original photos showed? Will the LE still have one? That would be a bummer as I far like that over pressing a button.

Finally, Aurich mentioned in another thread the LE artwork hasn't been done yet which to me sounds like FOX will still need to approve that separately? So does that mean LE's won't be in production shortly, just the regular models?

#7910 7 years ago

The apron isn't 'off-centre', it's the same size and shape as the Full Throttle apron. It's the flippers that are 'off-centre' and placed further to the right.

No manual plunger, autolaunch only on this game.

#7911 7 years ago

When should the video be available to view?

#7912 7 years ago
#7913 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

all the mod cons

I see what you did there. Weller would be proud.

#7914 7 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I see what you did there. Weller would be proud.

It wasn't a sarcastic pun, just common mode of phrase here.

mod cons
mɒdˈkɒnz/
nounBRITISHinformal
the amenities and appliances characteristic of a well-equipped modern house that contribute to an easier and more comfortable way of life.
"the property has all mod cons". modern conveniences.

#7915 7 years ago

No plunger is a major disappointment as that's one of the things that makes a pinball machine a pinball machine. The Heighway website still shows plungers on the standard and LE cabinets. I love the Alien movies and am excited by the potential but I want to see more of a finished product and get some impressions on how it plays before I put down any money.

#7916 7 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

No plunger is a major disappointment as that's one of the things that makes a pinball machine a pinball machine. The Heighway website still shows plungers on the standard and LE cabinets. I love the Alien movies and am excited by the potential but I want to see more of a finished product and get some impressions on how it plays before I put down any money.

So the various WPC games without a traditional plunger are not pinball machines in your opinion?

#7917 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

So the various WPC games without a traditional plunger are not pinball machines in your opinion?

No. They are automated Bagatelle machines.

#7918 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

No. They are automated Bagatelle machines.

Make sure you write Robin to get them removed from the top 100 pinball list. That would be Bagatelles like MM, MB, AFM, IJ . . .

#7919 7 years ago

Sarcasm missed.

#7920 7 years ago

Indeed.

#7921 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Maybe this was answered but what is the reason the ramps aren't clear like in Full Throttle? I feel the fiber optic lit ramps really give a futuristic vibe.

I'm interested in seeing what optic lighting will look like on metal ramps, could be great, in fact fits this theme much better than plastic.

#7922 7 years ago

I would not be so sure about that. Heighway has designed the cabinents to be very interchangable. Could be just photos? Would be easy to drop in a regular plunger mech with 3 bolts.

#7923 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm interested in seeing what optic lighting will look like on metal ramps, could be great, in fact fits this theme much better than plastic.

As i understood it, the fibre optic lighting will go dowm the ramp returns that run parallel to the left and right side of the cabinet. I don't think it'll be on the metal ramp entrances.

#7924 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would not be so sure about that. Heighway has designed the cabinents to be very interchangable. Could be just photos? Would be easy to drop in a regular plunger mech with 3 bolts.

Dave already stated no plunger for Alien.

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

No manual plunger, autolaunch only on this game.

I think the ball always needs to be shot at the same way due to the path it must travel

#7925 7 years ago

thnks for confirmation.

Do you know if this is a 4 flipper button game or just 2 with staged flippers?

Hoping for the option in settings and ability to use 4 as I love that (i.e. SST with 2 independant buttons on right side)

#7926 7 years ago

The upper ramp return is definitely curious. Looks like they've designed the angle that's cut into the ramp return to dump the ball properly into the orbit while avoiding the plastics. Unless something else is missing from the picture.

#7927 7 years ago

ok...

#7928 7 years ago

Then go to EXPO and play it and decide. Certainly worth the trip.

#7929 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thnks for confirmation.
Do you know if this is a 4 flipper button game or just 2 with staged flippers?
Hoping for the option in settings and ability to use 4 as I love that (i.e. SST with 2 independant buttons on right side)

I have only seen 2. But that is just an observation, I do not have insight information on that one.

#7930 7 years ago

Likely just 2, to be consistent with the Heighway standard cabinet with modular system.

#7931 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Likely just 2, to be consistent with the Heighway standard cabinet with modular system.

could be 4 since the buttons on the side are also supposed to be modular, but the flyer only shows one on each side. If someone really wanted to they could probably get a module with two buttons and use it instead, assumed the games is programmed with staged flippers.

#7932 7 years ago

I dont know if this has been posted:
http://212.48.74.59/~heighwaypinball/

342432 (resized).PNG342432 (resized).PNG

I love that it is made in Europe. The prices are so temping

#7933 7 years ago

Oh my a company tries something else than the norm

#7934 7 years ago

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker for a machine, but yes, I prefer a manual plunger over the auto ball launch. It's one of the tactile elements of pinball that is part of the whole experience for me. Just my own opinion, and plenty will disagree. As I said, I'm excited about the potential of this machine and I may be buying one.

#7935 7 years ago

I see some playfield similarities with Timeshock. Not exactly Tron vs Funhouse, but an interesting comparison.

#7936 7 years ago

How dare they remove the manual plunger!

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 12.07.53 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-10 at 12.07.53 PM (resized).png

#7937 7 years ago

I personally don't mind the lack of manual plunger. Sure, they're nice, but TBH on Stern games they feel like throwaway elements for the most part because they usually just go straight into a pop nest anyway or hold the post down for a full skill shot — both don't make use of the manual plunger at all.

Just look at the shooter lane for Alien. There's nothing to be gained by having a manual plunger. The ball just shoots straight up a short wireform and drops onto the ramp return platform. Just like i500, for example. There would have to be significant layout tradeoffs that reduce the total shot possibilities of the playfield in order to make a manual plunger worthwhile. I think the design team knows what they're doing an they've made the right tradeoffs for he betterment of the game as a whole.

#7938 7 years ago

You guys find the dumbest stuff to pop in & bitch about. If you were following this thread or looking at the schmatics, you would know a plunger is not needed because the ball launches up a very short launch ramp habitrail...

The launch ramp habitrail simply pops the ball onto the right platform, to be deposited in the right inlane.

This layout offers plenty of multiple skill shot opportunities at different levels. For instance, from the delivery to the right flipper, shoot for the xeno (easy, regular points), airlock (medium, points plus instant mode start), or orbit to the upper flipper immediately followed by the ramp (hard, big points plus instant lock).

It's all about choosing your skillshot from the RT flipper, so a manual plunger is pretty pointless.

#7939 7 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

I didn't realize that twilight zone didn't have a manual plunger
tz front (resized).jpgtz front (resized).jpg

#7940 7 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

TZ?

#7941 7 years ago

Eh.....it was a quick IPDB search...mostly correct. Point made.

#7942 7 years ago

There are 7 distinct skill shots that can be made from the right flipper. You don't have to select in advance, but the timer is short so you only have one chance to make the shot. Each shot awards some number of points (depending on the relative difficulty of the shot) as well as an associated award or power-up. (e.g. shooting the left orbit increases spinner value for the rest of the ball... shooting a weapon target instantly awards a weapon)

Additionally, making three different skill shots over the course of a game gives a large Super Skill point bonus.

#7943 7 years ago

The shadow has no plunger, I don't care. My Indy has the coolest gun ever. Love that shot.

#7944 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There are 7 distinct skill shots that can be made from the right flipper. You don't have to select in advance, but the timer is short so you only have one chance to make the shot. Each shot awards some number of points (depending on the relative difficulty of the shot) as well as an associated award or power-up. (e.g. shooting the left orbit increases spinner value for the rest of the ball... shooting a weapon target instantly awards a weapon)
Additionally, making three different skill shots over the course of a game gives a large Super Skill point bonus.

Something tells me you would know, Joe

#7945 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

I dont know if this has been posted:
http://212.48.74.59/~heighwaypinball/

I love that it is made in Europe. The prices are so temping

No its not. It's made in Britain. We're not in the euro gang anymore

#7946 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Sounds awesome! If this is the kind of thinking you're applying to the whole game then I'm very excited.

#7947 7 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I personally don't mind the lack of manual plunger. Sure, they're nice, but TBH on Stern games they feel like throwaway elements for the most part because they usually just go straight into a pop nest anyway or hold the post down for a full skill shot — both don't make use of the manual plunger at all.
Just look at the shooter lane for Alien. There's nothing to be gained by having a manual plunger. The ball just shoots straight up a short wireform and drops onto the ramp return platform. Just like i500, for example. There would have to be significant layout tradeoffs that reduce the total shot possibilities of the playfield in order to make a manual plunger worthwhile. I think the design team knows what they're doing an they've made the right tradeoffs for he betterment of the game as a whole.

While I get what you're saying, sometimes you strategically want the option to soft plunge to keep it out of the pops if you've got other modes and things running but that's hardly a deal breaker and is fine with me either way.

#7948 7 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

While I get what you're saying, sometimes you strategically want the option to soft plunge to keep it out of the pops if you've got other modes and things running but that's hardly a deal breaker and is fine with me either way.

As far as I know the ball will never plunge to the pop bumpers but always to the right flipper

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/159#post-3388899

#7949 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Straight from the horse's ... err.. ferret's mouth!

#7950 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You guys find the dumbest stuff to pop in & bitch about. If you were following this thread or looking at the schmatics, you would know a plunger is not needed because the ball launches up a very short launch ramp habitrail...

It's all about choosing your skillshot from the RT flipper, so a manual plunger is pretty pointless.

Totally agree.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 159 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/159 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.