zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 601.
#13651 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I got through the Alien mini-wizard mode Self-Destruct, (at least I'm pretty sure I completed it), on Saturday morning while streaming and I made a highlight of it. Finished the game with 245 million my second best so far. Anyway figured some of you may be interested in seeing it and the awesome light show for the mode, others may want to wait.
SPOILER ALERT Don't watch if you don't want to see one of the mini wizard modes.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the video @tsskinne, the lighting on Self Destruct looks awesome, it perfectly captures the feel of the scene even without the backbox beacons, great work Ferret brilliant attention to detail.

#13652 6 years ago

PoMC has just become the mouth piece for his buddy, since his buddy is not allowed here.

He has been trolling the tread on and off for month now. We all get it... he wont be buying an Aliens. check

back to your regular programming.

Tommy > awesome that you got there! I am not going to watch since I want to experience it myself, but great job and nice to hear the light show is already tits in that sub wizard mode.

I keep wondering if there is a super wizard mode if you complete all 3 sub wizard modes?

#13653 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Just keep seeing you post and think "why doesn't he just accept that he hates the game and move on?". It happens man.

Hey, it's first time I finally got to see it in person and play it after the years of hype on this thread. I don't want to accept I hate it, because I don't "hate" it and I wanted to like it a LOT more than I did. Maybe by the time the York show arrives Alien will be fully working and I'll be able to give it another try.

I'm also stating what other people were saying while I was watching and playing and conversations I had with guys I was playing against. I can certainly repeat what I've heard and was told on a discussion forum. Plenty of rah-rah cheerleaders hyping the game in this thread, so a little counter balance is fine.

#13654 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We all get it... he wont be buying an Aliens.

No one can buy an Alien. So yes, you are correct that I won't be buying an Alien right now. It's a possibility though when the bugs are worked out, the gimmick is fixed and at least a 100 games have been shipped and are being played in homes. My wife is actually wanting to buy a new pin, so our money is ready.

For every 1000 posts you've made about Alien, surely you can allow me to have several of my own after finally getting to play one?

#13655 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Hey, it's first time I finally got to see it in person and play it after the years of hype on this thread. I don't want to accept I hate it, because I don't "hate" it and I wanted to like it a LOT more than I did. Maybe by the time the York show arrives Alien will be fully working and I'll be able to give it another try.
I'm also stating what other people were saying while I was watching and playing and conversations I had with guys I was playing against. I can certainly repeat what I've heard and was told on a discussion forum. Plenty of rah-rah cheerleaders hyping the game in this thread, so a little counter balance is fine.

I'm pretty anti-social so I wasn't yucking it up with people but I didn't hear a ton of negative. I heard some VERY vocal negative people(who also bragged about being on Pinside) and was really put off by it. In fact at one point my sixteen year old son had to walk away because he was laughing so hard at some of these guys. I never knew people valued being a member here so highly? It was sad... and then really funny because you could tell they were serious.

Eh, to each his own. Just saying it's OK to dislike a game and move on. Hell... I did that with Spooky and can't believe all the rah, rah that goes on with their games(and I owned an Americas Most Haunted for a while).

#13656 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I keep wondering if there is a super wizard mode if you complete all 3 sub wizard modes?

There are only 2 "mini-wizard modes". What you're calling the third one is in fact something much greater...

#13657 6 years ago

Almost every game I own, and as a "keeper", I did not like the first few different times I played it.

If I was vocal, Id say I hate them, after a few months of playing at a show.

Lets check out a few:

TWD: Hated it playing it for 8 months at different shows.
Now: Keeper with code update
Shadow Hated it for many years, couldnt get past the crappy movie, bricks
Now: Keeper
AC/DC Hated
WOZ Hated
TSPP didnt like..................

I could go on, but many games I didnt like theme, play, soundtrack, toys, shots, etc.
But, I gave it time, I let the game develop, and 6 months, a year or more after release, it develops!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but on a brand new game, I simply wait and see.

OK, to say you dont like something, but fighting for the negative, does nothing to help a company try to succeed.

I want that, because the next game might be it!

#13658 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

I heard some VERY vocal negative people (who also bragged about being on Pinside) and was really put off by it. In fact at one point my sixteen year old son had to walk away because he was laughing so hard at some of these guys.

it's sad isn't it. Pinside has lots of great people but there are also a truckload of people here for whom the glass is not only half empty, but someone took a shit in it. that's something i read the other day on another forum, a far friendlier one where there is a hell of a lot less bitching. so far then, i see there are loads of people in this thread who like the game, and also some that don't like it so much. sounds normal.

#13659 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I got through the Alien mini-wizard mode Self-Destruct, (at least I'm pretty sure I completed it)

Thanks for posting! Even though you got it in the scoop at the end, I think you timed out though, because it didn't show the Alien getting blasted out the airlock. Looks intense though, and sure to score some big points. Going to be great in a dark room with the beacons & the music blasting!

#13660 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I would expect the main gimmick to actually work several years after it was designed and especially when it's on display for buyers to play and evaluate. Not to mention the other issues that frustrated people when it was their turn to play after waiting 20 min in line.

Mention those other issues that frustrated people were having!

#13661 6 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

There are only 2 "mini-wizard modes". What you're calling the third one is in fact something much greater...

I thought there were 3 sub wizard? 1 for Alien, 1 for Aliens, 1 for all the multiballs?

#13662 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought there were 3 sub wizard? 1 for Alien, 1 for Aliens, 1 for all the multiballs?

All out War is the main wizard mode, have to do all 4 multiballs, and then also all 4 modes for both films, and both mini wizard modes to get to it. I haven't seen it yet.

#13663 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

She's home and almost in, can't wait to give it a proper setup and spend some time with it!

BIG thank you to you and Pingod for letting us play your Alien Pins at YegPin! I really enjoyed that when I could actually get on the machines as they were quite popular. This actually helped me make a decision on buying the Full Throttle NIB sitting next to them. It too is home now and nicely setup in my game room. Can't wait to save enough money to order the Alien Kit.

I actually had planned on setting it up at YegPin Saturday evening after purchasing Full Throttle from Tommy. It was getting late and Tommy wanted one of the guys to help who wasn't around at the time. I really wanted to unpackage it and make sure everything was good before the 9 hour drive home in the morning. I ended up taking it back to my uncle's garage instead where I set it up and played several games...all was good!

Next year I'll consider bringing it back to YegPin as it really is a Sleeper in my opinion...great fun! Would have been nice to have it setup next to your Alien pins to give everyone the full experience of what great Pins Heighway Pinball has to offer...oh well.

Again...thanks guys!

#13664 6 years ago
Quoted from cooldan:

it's sad isn't it. Pinside has lots of great people but there are also a truckload of people here for whom the glass is not only half empty, but someone took a shit in it. that's something i read the other day on another forum, a far friendlier one where there is a hell of a lot less bitching. so far then, i see there are loads of people in this thread who like the game, and also some that don't like it so much. sounds normal.

You stole my glass half empty analogy Dan!

#13665 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in.
And thanks for the excuse to play more of those two-player games with my wife, it had been a couple weeks... (Although when we replicated the bug this afternoon, she was player 1 and was the beneficiary of the 68.5M skill shot, and promptly gloated about how badly she was crushing me...

Awesome! Thanks for looking into that and getting it sorted, I'm sure everyone who already has their machine is going to appreciate that one hah.

#13666 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in...

Ah, well, what can you expect from crufty old hardware that's been floating in space for so long, neglected...

I think a glitchy computer fits the theme perfectly.

Seriously, awesome that you are here and responding to issues and suggestions!

#13667 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks for posting! Even though you got it in the scoop at the end, I think you timed out though, because it didn't show the Alien getting blasted out the airlock. Looks intense though, and sure to score some big points. Going to be great in a dark room with the beacons & the music blasting!

Doh.....I fail, my apologies.

#13668 6 years ago

Was fortunate enough to get some quality time on pingod and libtech ’s Alien machines at YegPin on the weekend. Played probably 10 games on Friday just hours after they came out of the box(es). Was especially awesome playing against friends during the late-night VIP party where the house lights were lowered, music was pumping, and beverages were flowing - lucky us!

Since these were just unboxed, being played uncalibrated on a show-room floor, ability to hear varied between a little to not at all (due to loud show conditions, not the game), and didn’t have the Xeno head installed, I will reserve final judgements until I can play the game in a controlled setting, fully equipped, etc.

Initial Impressions:

I really like the cabinet, it looks and feels industrial strength. Side blade lighting and side cabinet lighting is really great in a darker room. I like the refined details like the recessed legs and the industrial looking plates. The glass bezel really frames the playfield and provides an extra level of security when you pull the glass against accidental shattering.

The game feels really solid, when the slingshots fire, for example, you feel it, but nothing like the cabinet thumping that you get from a recent Stern game. I would wager these cabinets may be virtually indestructible and are definitely built to last many years with different games installed in them. I get why traditionalists won’t like them at first, but I think playing on one would grow on most people, it feels really good to me.

The 27” backbox screen is completely extraneous from a player’s perspective, when I’m playing I rarely have time to look up and all the information is right there on the playfield, which is a great approach IMHO. However, for people watching the game, or if the game was on location, the large backbox screen is amazing! Feels huge when you are right in front of it, and really grabs your eye from a further distance out. Animations and effects are fantastic as well, they’ve done a great job of it.

But how does it shoot? I was able to make all the shots in the game while I played and once you get some flow going with successive shots it really speeds up fast. However, it is definitely a wide-body game and it is also easy to brick a lot if you aren’t on the mark. It actually reminds me of STTNG a bit, in that if you are off your game (or the game isn’t setup well) you will may have a tough go of it being unable to make the shots, but on a properly setup game and a little skill/experience on the game you will have an amazing good time. The game has a ton of shots from different angles. I think it would offer a lot of depth in a collection as it would take some time to master them all, which is a plus in my book. When I was playing well on Friday night I found the ball times quite long, actually, so not a real drainfest. It’s not looking to rob your ball at every turn like a GB.

What I really enjoyed about the playfield is the way the shots can be so counter-intuitive to most other games. For example, nailing the left loop from the upper right flipper instinctively feels like it will return the ball the upper right flipper, ala STTNG, ST, TS, etc., but instead it goes whipping behind it and down the playfield. That sucker surprised me everytime! Also, the center post is great for the same reason, you have to keep your wits about you to use it effectively, and not many recent games have one. I really like a game that has challenging shots and variety so this is a win in my book. Forces me to up my game, both physical and mental (do the right thing, at the right time, and not the same thing everytime). When you do string a combination together it feels really good.

Didn’t get much of a feel for the modes, but I did play a variety of them and a couple multiballs, but was hard to figure out what to do in the show setting. The Ambush (?) mode with the scanner is awesome, very adrenaline inducing to hit the incoming aliens before they reach you. Like a hurry-up mode on steroids. Find Jonesy was fun too, with the need to follow the orange insert “Jonesy” as it sneaks around the playfield, and avoid other shots at the same.

I’m looking forward to getting more time on this game in a controlled setting with the Xeno mech, etc. to truly experience it, but my initial impressions are mostly positive. It’s not perfect, certainly, needs some additional GI lighting on the centre of the PF for darker play conditions, several glitchy switches and sw, missing xeno, but I guess I discount a lot of that as being relatively minor stuff that will get worked out eventually.

#13669 6 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

You stole my glass half empty analogy Dan!

sure did, snotty, sure did

#13670 6 years ago

Been wanting an alien, sold a couple pins to have cash on hand. Played it at allentown and have to say I wasn't all that impressed. Imo the playfield lo9ked abused, and the ramps looked unfinished to me. With that being said....I'm hardly ever impressed with games at a pinball show. Lighting,sound, and atmosphere are HUGE aspects of wether or not I take a shine to a game. The fact that I couldn't experience any of these at the show negatively affect my first impression of the game. I'm sure all that will change if and when I'm able to buy one to put it in my gameroom cuz it's still tops on my want list because of the unique layout, and shot variety.

#13671 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Been wanting an alien, sold a couple pins to have cash on hand. Played it at allentown and have to say I wasn't all that impressed. Imo the playfield lo9ked abused, and the ramps looked unfinished to me. With that being said....I'm hardly ever impressed with games at a pinball show. Lighting,sound, and atmosphere are HUGE aspects of wether or not I take a shine to a game. The fact that I couldn't experience any of these at the show negatively affect my first impression of the game. I'm sure all that will change if and when I'm able to buy one to put it in my gameroom cuz it's still tops on my want list.

Pretty sure if that was Cointaker's it may be the one from TPF that had glass break on it before.

#13672 6 years ago

How was it Cointakers when Andrew sold them for cash. Wake up.

#13673 6 years ago

OK, if one were to place an order for an Alien TODAY (5/8) WHEN could one expect delivery?

#13674 6 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

WHEN could one expect delivery?

That's the $64,000 question.

#13675 6 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

OK, if one were to place an order for an Alien TODAY (5/8) WHEN could one expect delivery?

Not sure anyone can answer that, only an Estimate from the man, himself.

#13676 6 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

While playing at YEGpin we also noticed another issue where if player one plays Alien, and player two plays Aliens, every skill shot that player one makes on Alien gives him 50 million (instead of what should be 50k, if I'm correct). It really imbalanced the game, but it was pretty consistent and easy to subtract that. Seems like a strange thing to miss in coding, but it wasn't a huge deal.

Thanks for sharing this. I couldn't figure out how I was scoring around 20 to 30 million and every other person was around 100 million at the show.

#13677 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Thanks for sharing this. I couldn't figure out how I was scoring around 20 to 30 million and every other person was around 100 million at the show.

Yeah it was really bizarre, while learning a game you're focused more on gameplay than points, so when you look up and see that it's a bit jarring hah.

#13678 6 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Umm... Two Weeks!

AH (resized).jpgAH (resized).jpg

#13679 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Has Cointaker shipped out any of the 20 they were supposed to get?

have you checked with Cointaker? they would be able to answer that immediately.

and would be interesting to know..

#13680 6 years ago

Fytr Thanks for doing all the writing
Fixed my sound issues,put a new speaker cable in.
Ken,come by and play it this Week.

I think I figured out my Flipper dead issue when it goes into the pop area.( I'm not a tech)
Looked like it had one closed switch,gapped it the same as the rest.
Now it is hardly popping,but no more dead flippers.

*Edit* I didn't fix the flipper issue.
When ball drops down through the V lane it shuts off the flippers,kills the play field.
Only when lane is not lit up,and during a mode.
I don't remember which mode I was in.

I think the game plays really good.
It could use some easy fixes though.
The switch above the ramp,slides off the end of the bracket a lot.
Plastic doesn't stay put long on steel.
The plastic washers broke,the first time being put back on.

Playfield chipping at the scoop already,needs a Cliffy.
Put mylar on there after the first day,already gone through that layer as well.
I think the scoop shoots it down at the edge of the play field. Need to check that further.

Magnet in front of Zeno is taking a beating already,can see lifting of the play field around it.
It does have a mylar there already.
Magnet was adjusted so it was not to low to start with to.

Ball trough kicker sucks,shoots out so hard goes back in most of the time.
Didn't see a setting for coil strength. I hope it's just not there yet Ferret
Easy fix if it's added.

Overall very happy with the game,the sounds and play really draw you in when you are playing.
Great for the people watching to.

If you are close by come give her a try
BYOB

#13681 6 years ago

Bummer about the ball drop chipping. I really want this title but hope they come up with a few mods in short order that help with the playfield wear.

If it helps, I spent a better part of my evening tweaking my Full Throttle as well. Changed out those ridiculous Super Bands on the flippers; changed out the audio amp as it had a broken wire clamp; added a rubber post ring on the right outlane post and narrowed the outlane posts
then spent an assload of time on tweaking the flipper settings to get them feeling like a Williams/Bally. Still need to take apart the ramps and make the left orbit smoother but hey, did I mention it's great fun...playing it is pretty cool too...haha.

#13682 6 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Ball trough kicker sucks,shoots out so hard goes back in most of the time.
Didn't see a setting for coil strength. I hope it's just not there yet ferret
Easy fix if it's added.

I agree. Would be nice to have operator adjustment for this coil.

That said, i improved ours by bending the tab at top of ball trough just slightly with pliers. Helped a ton.

#13683 6 years ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Nope was not sarcastic at all just happy. Games are shipping....will have it in a few weeks at my house.
Order was from Cointaker, still a few left in the coming shipment.

This was eight weeks ago, did you ever get your game?

#13684 6 years ago

Decided to hold off on getting one of the first games from CoinTakers initial order. Would rather wait a few months or more so any bugs are worked out and any fixes are implemented.

Until then I'll be playing some fake Alien pinball on Pinball FX2, lol.

20170507_210629 (resized).jpg20170507_210629 (resized).jpg

#13685 6 years ago

What is that? A custom emulator pedestal? Any more pics of that if it is? Or is it just a control panel sitting on top of a pin?

#13686 6 years ago

It's a custom emulator pedestal. I had the cabinet itself prebuilt locally and then added all the hardware and painted it. I use it mainly for VR pinball but also use it for Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vr-pinball-mame-cabinet

752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg

#13687 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

This was eight weeks ago, did you ever get your game?

I am supposed to be in the first order and we all know that they have not shipped yet due to the issues that are being addressed. I also have an AFMr coming so not really worried about waiting, as long as I have it for the Cle Show I'm good.

#13688 6 years ago

When is the Cleveland show? Would like to play Alien in person. It's been about eight weeks since cointaker returned an email lol

#13689 6 years ago

Boom!!!! ( As The Pinball Amigos Say, lol) I just got the word (and photos)
My Alien pinball has been shipped today!
Very excited to add this to my collection.
Andrew and Morgan have been a pleasure to work with and have always responded quickly.
Can't wait to get flipping on this next week!
Thanks again to Heighway Pinball!
I will be a return customer for sure for game #3

IMG_2266 (resized).JPGIMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPGIMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2271 (resized).JPGIMG_2271 (resized).JPG

#13690 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

When is the Cleveland show?

Early Sept....but here is hoping I get mine WAY before then.

#13691 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Boom!!!! ( As The Pinball Amigos Say, lol) I just got the word (and photos)
Very excited to add this to my collection.
Andrew and Morgan have been a pleasure to work with and have always responded quickly.
Can't wait to get flipping on this next week!
Thanks again to Heighway Pinball!
I will be a return customer for sure for game #3

Is this game another "beta testing game" that you worked out a deal with Andrew personally... knowing there are issues? Or is this part of the first run of machines for the masses?

#13692 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Is this game another "beta testing game" that you worked out a deal with Andrew personally

Does it have the Xeno Head?

#13693 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Is this game another "beta testing game" that you worked out a deal with Andrew personally... knowing there are issues? Or is this part of the first run of machines for the masses?

Normal Production Game

#13694 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Does it have the Xeno Head?

Yes, the new Design Zeno Mechanism

#13695 6 years ago

Do you know what the changes/improvements to the mech are? If it was annouced I must have missed it but curious to know what's been changed/improved for production games, currently trying to lineup a SE for my lineup

BTW congrates on your game heading your way, you maybe one of the first Pinsiders to receive a production model.

#13696 6 years ago

Yes I also was expecting an update from heighway stated that he Zeno mechs are in and production has begun... I know they have been more quite for some time, but instances such if this would usually be posted

#13697 6 years ago

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

#13698 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Do you know what the changes/improvements to the mech are? If it was annouced I must have missed it but curious to know what's been changed/improved for production games, currently trying to lineup a SE for my lineup
BTW congrates on your game heading your way, you maybe one of the first Pinsiders to receive a production model.

I am not sure of the differences, but I can post pictures next week for sure!

Thanks for the Congrats
I can't wait!!

#13699 6 years ago

Fake news. So sad.

#13700 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Do you know what the changes/improvements to the mech are?

I dont know the specific changes but can likely explain the issues with the original beta ones and what the change is.

Original ones used a micro controer for the jaw and then a geared motor to move the tounge. Original ones also relied on the pf magnet to catch the ball and the sideways opto to then register the ball was caught before the jaw would engage and the tounge would come out.

A few issues with this were that it had a very tight tolerance for everything to work exactly as planned and if the tounge was out but a ball was still in play on the pf then it could smash into the tounge. That smash could cause the tounge to lodge/stick. A robust built mech so not a big deal to unstick, but needed to be done by hand.

Last I heard the new mech has an improved logic, better micro controllers, and the ability to unstick itself in the case it needs to (in short, if the order of operations fails in the middle then the game will jsut correct itself)

I am looking forward to what the new mech actually looks like. I had some long conversations with some of the team members about it and I am sure it will be a nice improvement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,999 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 30,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 274 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/274 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.