• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 494.
#12851 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Word UP! I'm still trying to understand how this could be useful for operators. The only place I see any play for this is from guys who have expensive collections and no room for their games. Why would I ever want a nice game sitting in a box. I don't care if it only takes a second to switch it out.
We have experience with this. Just ask the RFM guys how often they switch out to SWEP1.

I think the modular idea is genius but of course Heighway needs to produce a game more often than once every 2-3 years to make it viable. Hopefully this will be the case going forward and we will see Alien flying out the door soon and game #3 released shortly thereafter.

Would Heighway really be saving much money per unit by going non-modular? Really the only advantage to going standard is that you can have artwork on all cabinet surfaces vs just the drop in side panels and translite area. I like at least having the option on future games of buying a kit vs. a full model and that's worth the trade-off of having less cabinet art to me. Games are usually crammed between other games anyway. It's also nice that you can pull the full playfield out of the cabinet really easily to work on.

I know I'm always out of space so the modular idea appeals to me. I even have a WPT populated playfield that I use as a kit that I can swap into my WOF. It's a PITA to swap because the game doesn't have full service rails and you have a lot more connectors to connect. I would really like to see all manufacturers go modular as I think it's a great idea for those of us that are space limited.

#12852 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'm still trying to understand how this could be useful for operators.

Example: operator has 4 locations. They buy Full Throttle, Alien, HP game #3, and HP game #4, and place one at each location. They wish to rotate titles regularly to keep things fresh (= robust coin drop) at each location. It's MUCH easier for a solo tech to move just a playfield rather than the entire machine: it weighs less, easier to navigate around tight spaces, don't have to screw with taking on/off legs or backbox, releveling, etc.

#12853 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Example: operator has 4 locations. They buy Full Throttle, Alien, HP game #3, and HP game #4, and place one at each location. They wish to rotate titles regularly to keep things fresh (= robust coin drop) at each location. It's MUCH easier for a solo tech to move just a playfield rather than the entire machine: it weighs less, easier to navigate around tight spaces, don't have to screw with taking on/off legs or backbox, releveling, etc.

Yeah, I can move just a pf all by myself without any help and no dolly even needed.

#12854 2 years ago

Kinda hard to believe it's 5 minutes - I spend that changing out a bad bulb.

#12855 2 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Kinda hard to believe it's 5 minutes - I spend that changing out a bad bulb.

someone can link the video.

Pull off glass, slide pf forward, unplug 3? connectors, slide pf rest of way forward and rest front on ground.
Carry away and reverse process for new pf.

it REALLY is that easy.

#12856 2 years ago

I don't why sadscrote cares so much? don't buy it. Andrew any kind of update would be appreciated

#12857 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

rehash the system

you'll come around. Hell, it only took you 3 months to realize AFM and RFM were different games! That's progress!!!

#12858 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Is the savings greater than having two games out where previously there was one? I see no justification to have .55 of a game in storage.

#12859 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Is the savings greater than having two games out where previously there was one? I see no justification to have .55 of a game in storage.

???

Do you even read? In his example Zero games are in storage.

#12860 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Are you only here to troll or can't you read?

#12861 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Quoted from tezting:

Are you only here to troll or can't you read?

You know, those two things aren't mutually exclusive...

#12862 2 years ago

Has anyone heard if David Thiel got his game? I recall him posting that he would be working on tweaking a bunch of sounds once he got his game.

#12863 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard if David Thiel got his game? I recall him posting that he would be working on tweaking a bunch of sounds once he got his game.

I don't know that he has his game but he did contact me about my stream of game and said he is using it to help him with sounds.

#12864 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That would largely depend on whether he's getting an LE or standard model I would think? I'm guessing that most of the employees/contract staff are opting for LE's which is probably the biggest delay in them not receiving games yet.

#12865 2 years ago

So I've been watching lots of these twitch feeds from early adopters, and it seems that Hypersleep & Nute Multiball are somewhat difficult to achieve. Or perhaps people just keep going for the clear cut modes instead.

Getting Nute Multiball seems pretty straightforward, just keep going for lifecycles to start, like around 8 shots I think. But I still haven't seen it in a video yet. But the lifecycles sound pretty important overall, since they increase scoring values for the modes & multiballs. Seems like starting Nute first before diving into modes might be a good strategy.

Hypersleep Multiball sounds really cool by the way Ferret described it. I'm guessing it's the hardest of the multiballs to start. But I'm still a little confused how the locks are acquired & how they are used for ball saves in the left outlane. I also noticed that the drop insert lights change color, but not sure what that signifies. Because as I understand it, you have to knock down the drops to light the lock, but it can be pretty hard to make the ramp shot from the upper RT flipper, let alone getting it to feed to that flipper when the lock is lit. Sounds pretty tough, which is a good thing! You have to do that three times to start it, but you can also lose one of those hard earned ball locks via a LT outlane save. I hope the scoring for this mode is worth all the effort

Maybe Ferret can clarify.

#12866 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Example: operator has 4 locations. They buy Full Throttle, Alien, HP game #3, and HP game 4

So, in 2025?

#12867 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I've been watching lots of these twitch feeds from early adopters, and it seems that Hypersleep & Nute Multiball are somewhat difficult to achieve.
Getting Nute Multiball seems pretty straightforward, just keep going for lifecycles to start, like around 8 shots I think. Seems like starting Nute first before diving into modes might be a good strategy.

IMG_1905 (resized).JPG

Any true Aliens fan will get the play on words

#12868 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Any true Aliens fan will get the play on words

Maybe she's a Knut.

#12869 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe she's a Knut.

Eh... they kind of mangled the beginning of the clip... but...

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8b113757-2f82-4948-b6ac-a61f7a9f1282

#12870 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Getting Nute Multiball seems pretty straightforward, just keep going for lifecycles to start, like around 8 shots I think. But I still haven't seen it in a video yet. But the lifecycles sound pretty important overall, since they increase scoring values for the modes & multiballs. Seems like starting Nute first before diving into modes might be a good strategy.

By default (Medium difficulty), Save Newt takes 3 Lifecycles = 12 shots to start the first time. Here's the gotcha: one of those shots (the third in the sequence) is the Chestburster shot (the lane above the UR flipper), which is a pretty tough shot. The existing code requires the ball to strike the standup target at the end of that lane for the shot to count. I recently added a "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" adjustment which, if set to Easy, allows that lane to be awarded just by the inductive switch in the lane, which means that weaker shots or even sometimes a well-placed kick from the pop bumper could award the shot. Owners/operators will have to decide if they prefer that behavior, and/or want to lower the Save Newt MB difficulty (e.g. "Easy" would only need 2 Lifecycles to start the first time), if they feel Save Newt MB isn't getting started often enough. I also recently made Mother more likely to award "Advance Lifecycle" when the Chestburster is lit to help with this.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hypersleep Multiball sounds really cool by the way Ferret described it. I'm guessing it's the hardest of the multiballs to start. But I'm still a little confused how the locks are acquired & how they are used for ball saves in the left outlane. I also noticed that the drop insert lights change color, but not sure what that signifies. Because as I understand it, you have to knock down the drops to light the lock, but it can be pretty hard to make the ramp shot from the upper RT flipper, let alone getting it to feed to that flipper when the lock is lit. Sounds pretty tough, which is a good thing! You have to do that three times to start it, but you can also lose one of those hard earned ball locks via a LT outlane save.

Again by default (Medium difficulty), completing the drop targets lights all 3 locks for the first Hypersleep MB, so then it's 3 upper ramps and you're off to the races. The upper ramp shot is not easy, but it's not terrible either... to me it feels similar to the Millions Plus ramp on Whirlwind. The game will often divert orbit shots to the pops when Lock is lit, to give a ~50/50 chance of the ball exiting for a UR flipper feed. Recent code revisions also make Mother more likely to award Advance Hypersleep Lock (though she won't award Lock 3 that way, gotta start the MB on the ramp).

Also, somewhat sadly, we removed the "steal your own locked ball" rule. Now the upper ramp always adds a lit "Revive" lane, but using a Revive lane to save your ball does NOT decrease your locked ball count. That change was based on play-testing and watching streams: the ratio of left outlane drains to upper ramp shots was very skewed, and we didn't want Hypersleep MB to be Unobtanium.

#12871 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hypersleep Multiball sounds really cool by the way Ferret described it. I'm guessing it's the hardest of the multiballs to start. ... as I understand it, you have to knock down the drops to light the lock, but it can be pretty hard to make the ramp shot from the upper RT flipper, let alone getting it to feed to that flipper when the lock is lit. Sounds pretty tough, which is a good thing! You have to do that three times to start it, but you can also lose one of those hard earned ball locks via a LT outlane save. I hope the scoring for this mode is worth all the effort

You are correct. ...and I agree, as the hardest multi-ball to get, you should be rewarded with big points.

And I just cross posted with the man himself!!

BTW, I have all my multi-balls set to 'easy' (not super easy so don't give me any grief ) ...with that setting, it's only takes two life-cycles to start Save Newt, and only two captured balls to start Hpersleep ....I'm pretty sure, but defer to Ferret of course.

Quoted from Ferret:

I also recently made Mother more likely to award "Advance Lifecycle" when the Chestburster is lit to help with this.

I've heard about SO MANY cool things that are 'in the next release' ....excited to see that.

#12872 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There is no reason the new CPU won't last through the next 4-5 games unless something major changes in the display technology.

I bet heighway can give you 150 reasons why it won't work on game #3!

#12873 2 years ago

How much? ...seriously.

#12874 2 years ago

One fiddy

Quoted from SunKing:How much? ...seriously.

One fiddy

#12875 2 years ago

...and we will settle up in two weeks.

#12877 2 years ago

Honestly..i love the way this game has turned out, and the fact they waited to make it right the first time. But it did take almost two years longer than planned and in computer years..that's a long time. Just wondering if maybe the whole idea of swapping pf's is gonna turn out to be a good thing in the end. To both router's and huo customer's. Considering it seems like all their eggs are in the Alien-basket.. Would they hold game 3's potential back just to re-use the old system if it takes a few years to develop and better software is available?!? Time will tell.. and grown men will argue on the interweb 'til then!

#12878 2 years ago

Double post ..i will add tho that I'm not a grown adult..i'm a 40 year old kid!

#12879 2 years ago

Matt @ Back Alley or maybe even Brock needs to make a PinGulp cover so the PinGulp can look like an Aliens/Facehugger Egg

#12881 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The existing code requires the ball to strike the standup target at the end of that lane for the shot to count. I recently added a "Chestburster Lane Difficulty" adjustment which, if set to Easy, allows that lane to be awarded just by the inductive switch in the lane, which means that weaker shots or even sometimes a well-placed kick from the pop bumper could award the shot.

Also, somewhat sadly, we removed the "steal your own locked ball" rule. Now the upper ramp always adds a lit "Revive" lane, but using a Revive lane to save your ball does NOT decrease your locked ball count.

Thanks for the explanation. After months of studying the layout, I never realized that when you guys removed the chestburster popup target & magnet from that area, you put a standup target in the lane instead. Looks like it's one of LED standups like on Full Throttle, so I'm guessing it will pulse when the chestburster shot is ready? That's pretty cool.

I think you made the right call on the Revive lane rule change. It's clear you've really put a lot of thought into this ruleset. Watching videos is nice, but I'm really looking forward to exploring this game on my own

#12882 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Looks like it's one of LED standups like on Full Throttle, so I'm guessing it will pulse when the chestburster shot is ready? That's pretty cool.

Actually, I'm not using the LED in that standup at all, but that's a good idea, I'll try it and see how it looks. The Chestburster shot, like all the Lifecycle shots, has a dedicated square insert on the playfield (next to the base of the UR flipper).

#12883 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Actually, I'm not using the LED in that standup at all, but that's a good idea, I'll try it and see how it looks. The Chestburster shot, like all the Lifecycle shots, has a dedicated square insert on the playfield (next to the base of the UR flipper).

Yes please.

#12884 2 years ago

I'm starting to think that LEs are looking at late summer for shipping now? So I'm looking at a possible Christmas delivery on mine. I would love to at least see the fiber optic ramps in action, even if the artwork is held up at Fox. Has there been any tangible movement on getting those working?

#12885 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm starting to think that LEs are looking at late summer for shipping now? So I'm looking at a possible Christmas delivery on mine.

I think Fall/Xmas will be the earliest we see any LE's, its a dream theme and I know its happening so I can wait but I really hope Heighway starts ramping up the manufacturing, any updates Andrew? from a very loyal paid in full LE customer Jan 2015.

#12886 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think Fall/Xmas will be the earliest we see any LE's, its a dream theme and I know its happening so I can wait but I really hope Heighway starts ramping up the manufacturing, any updates Andrew? from a very loyal paid in full LE customer Jan 2015.

I think you should get the Second LE off the line.....

#12887 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wow - would xmas make it about 3 years late?

#12888 2 years ago

Not for those of us that came in late! lol

#12889 2 years ago

Yep. I put in my money 10/17/14. It's been a long wait. At this point, I'd like them to get it right rather than on time.

#12890 2 years ago
Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

Yep. I put in my money 10/17/14. It's been a long wait. At this point, I'd like them to get it right rather than on time.

So I gotta ask, are you a full paid or down payment?

There is no way I could stay sane waiting 3 years on a full payment. I would have bought and sold many many machines in that time!

#12891 2 years ago

I thought of the same idea for this target now. Make it pulse color to a blood red! Simulate the chest bursting

#12892 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I thought of the same idea for this target now. Make it pulse color to a blood red! Simulate the chest bursting

IMG_2068 (resized).JPG

#12893 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm starting to think that LEs are looking at late summer for shipping now? So I'm looking at a possible Christmas delivery on mine. I would love to at least see the fiber optic ramps in action, even if the artwork is held up at Fox. Has there been any tangible movement on getting those working?

Well it depends on getting the "production line ramped up" doesn't it

Those getting in late will get their pin ahead of me who has been in for 3 yrs patiently waiting on the LE reveal. Love the standard it's jam packed

That is if you are fully paid up. I'm just not gonna do it until I see LE and significant production

My concern would be the Star Wars announcement swamping everything else

I'm not sure what's going to get production moving if it didn't happen after TPF. I'm assuming cash flow?

If it drags out much longer I'll get a refund and then buy one when it's readily available

#12894 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Yes, like a slow throbbing at first, that speeds up as it gets further and further towards some objective.

ferret is the target up most of the time, and only lowers when the ball is in the bumpers? Or is there something else going on?

#12895 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

There has been some great suggestions in this thread, some of which ferret has implemented, like the strobing and flashing lights of the Xeno, but this one has to make it into the game!

#12896 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If it drags out much longer I'll get a refund and then buy one when it's readily available

I hear yah there Ice. It's easy to start to lose the enthusiasm after a while. Besides, we can always just jump onto a loaded standard later.

#12897 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

ferret is the target up most of the time, and only lowers when the ball is in the bumpers? Or is there something else going on?

The Chestburster drop target was removed last year. There is now a normal standup target (or "touch target" as some folks call them) at the end of the lane.

#12899 2 years ago

I posted this in the Paxton thread but thought I might drop it here too. Textualtees has this shirt on sale for $5.99

IMG_2784 (resized).PNG

#12900 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I posted this in the Paxton thread but thought I might drop it here too. Textualtees has this shirt on sale for $5.99

Thank you. And your phone needs to be charged.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside