zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 601.
#10201 7 years ago

People seriously complaining about the look of the beacons? J.C., people will bitch about anything.

#10202 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

People seriously complaining about the look of the beacons? J.C., people will bitch about anything.

Including bitching about people bitching!

#10203 7 years ago

Weakest rebuttal ever.

#10204 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I have not yet said a word about the beacons. Well, at least not publicly.

Based on your post, I feel the need to give my opinion, when I didn't before: those beacons look terrible. The proportions are way off, they completely overwhelm the backbox.

So there you have it. Me "bitching about anything!"

#10205 7 years ago

Would there be room to recess the bottom portion into the bb so just the lenses were visible? I've never seen a HW pin in person so am unsure of their dimensions.

#10206 7 years ago

You know that alien head in the movie would've been a lot larger than what it is in the machine too?

Oh, the horror.

#10207 7 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Would there be room to recess the bottom portion into the bb so just the lenses were visible? I've never seen a HW pin in person so am unsure of their dimensions.

I wonder if anybody with a Full Throttle could post a picture inside the backbox for a comparison? The Alien hardware should be similar and this may give some insight into the space that's available. Of course nothing is guaranteed to be the same on Alien but just an idea.

#10208 7 years ago

There's about 40 options of yellow safety lights on amazon that you can clip the wires and harness into the machine. Problem solved.

#10209 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You know that alien head in the movie would've been a lot larger than what it is in the machine too?
Oh, the horror.

I'm paid in full for this machine, have been on board since very early, started the Alien club thread and hardly ever complain about anything.
The beacons look dumb. Too tall and clunky and look like ears or something. And that's not technically a complaint, just a statement of fact. Do they look good? No. Do they look dumb? Yes. Complaining would be, "I hate how those dumb beacons look! I'm withholding any further payment until they change those beacons! Where's my game?" Do I want them changed? Don't really care.

#10210 7 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Would there be room to recess the bottom portion into the bb so just the lenses were visible

I think this is the way they could improve them if they were to. Recess the lower portion into the BB. This would also save them from scrapping the parts they already have for new. I think what looks off is that you can see the bases and we only want to see the globes.

#10211 7 years ago

The game is part of the swap system, holes in back box seems like terrible idea. Swapping out for beacons aftermarket and getting game months quicker makes sense

#10212 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

The game is part of the swap system, holes in back box seems like terrible idea. Swapping out for beacons aftermarket and getting game months quicker makes sense

Or maybe instead of holes in the bb, add a cover that matches the size of the bb top, which essentially raises it to the height of the globe bases. It is a topper after all.

#10213 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

has to be the older style rotating yellow beacons as per in the film

I'll just ask it then before someone else does...

Do they have to replace all three LCD's with CRT's to be consistent with the film too?

#10214 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Does anyone else look at this game and immediately think: Sega?

Not really to me although you might be able to argue the overall "background" layer could be somewhat similar.
The real issue with Sega (for me) was the horrible color coding of inserts and the the big blocky inserts on those later table; so ugly.

#10215 7 years ago

If the beacons are all we have to complain about I guess things are looking good, besides the beacons will turn out looking diminutive once owners slap some of their Alien Bling up there between them.

Inevitably some modder will come up with a molded plastic one piece that will cover the black beacon bases and rise above and between them with a face hugger or some such Alienccentric prop.

#10216 7 years ago

beacons (resized).jpgbeacons (resized).jpg

#10217 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'll just ask it then before someone else does...
Do they have to replace all three LCD's with CRT's to be consistent with the film too?

The Batman topper is simulated beacon with LEDs and I haven't heard anyone say it was anything less than awesome. No one complaining that it doesn't look "60s".

#10218 7 years ago

Alien has to please everyone though

#10219 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

No one complaining that it doesn't look "60s".

It doesn't look 60's

#10220 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The Batman topper is simulated beacon with LEDs and I haven't heard anyone say it was anything less than awesome. No one complaining that it doesn't look "60s".

Yeah, but that was Batman, totally fake and not real like Alien...

I think having one beacon in the middle would look better and less like little antlers. But really, WGaF, let's play the game already!

#10221 7 years ago

Discussion list:
Xeno head - check
Airlock LCD - check
Game art - check
Beacons - under discussion
Start button - to be discussed
Coin door - to be discussed
Overall look - not important
Game play - not important
Design - not important
Rules - not important

#10222 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think the BM66 topper is probably the best topper I've ever seen, but if it had an actual rotating beacon in it, it'd be better!

I agree the beacons on Alien look a bit funny, but I don't see it as big enough to change anything. Ship it!

#10223 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Coin door - to be discussed

last I was told from Andrew (I think he called on me at Expo but I missed the talk) it will have a slot for DBV.

#10224 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

If the beacons are all we have to complain about I guess things are looking good,

No that just means the videos haven't come in yet...just wait a bit longer I'm sure they'll be a ton more complaints

#10225 7 years ago

The 2-sided Nostromo elevator beacon would be cool, but not sure anything like that even exists.

IMG_2420 (resized).JPGIMG_2420 (resized).JPG

#10226 7 years ago

The beacons look dumb, they should have made miniature ones and put them under the glass...

Game goes black, flasher on Alien head and beacons spinning in game.

#10227 7 years ago

Honestly, I'm still pissed off that the cabinet isn't made up of Giger-esque (since, unless Andrew can raise the dead, that's the best we can get) biomech orifices and dicks. Why do the legs just look like angled pieces of metal? Why not biomech dicks? Are you guys really going to stand there and tell me those coin slots wouldn't be a million times better if they were dripping facehugger orifices? Come on.

Serious oversight on the part of Heighway.

But, real talk, the beacons look like shit because they are too tall, but I'm never going to look up there so I give exactly 0 f*cks about them. My advice to everyone in this thread: give less f*cks.

#10228 7 years ago

Thanks to the Beacon-gate dead enders game ships 2018.

#10229 7 years ago

Im thoroughly impressed with how far the game has transformed since Expo.....Actually Im more like Alien Drool now!

I can see the vision as its reaching its completion. Bravo!

Im hoping Andrew will keep an open ear to his customers with code and Video to blow this Game off the Planet!

#10230 7 years ago

A video from EAG!!

#10231 7 years ago

Another EAG vid

The new ramp definitely flows way better then before!

Go team Heighway!

#10232 7 years ago

new left ramp looks like a nice shot now.

looking forward to more/better video with hopefully better players.

#10233 7 years ago

Looks pretty fucking cool.

#10234 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looking forward to more/better video with hopefully better players.

It's an approximate representation of you playing

#10235 7 years ago

Here's the gameplay video I shot of Alien:

We took the playfield glass off to avoid reflections and have a better view.

#10236 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Here's the gameplay video I shot of Alien: » YouTube video
We took the playfield glass off to avoid reflections and have a better view.

Nice job! Waiting for the morons to complain aboot vertical video of a vertical machine

#10237 7 years ago

We sampled many beacons and this was the best of them by far. Many use LEDs now but that's not the look we wanted. They have to be rotating yellow beacons with an incandescent bulb - as in the films.

Funnily enough - I remember the first beacon I tested. It ran off a cigarette lighter. I went into my car, plugged it in ... and watched it catch fire on my lap. We decided not to run with this version!

I hear the comments about the neck of the beacon. I will say this though - the raised beacons rotating in a dark room were simply awesome in my own personal experience - the beams bounce all around the walls in your peripheral vision, when you're playing the game.

The screen alignment issues were down to software adjustments only. We needed an update just before the show and unfortunately I couldn't download a 1GB file at the show. It's a very quick fix - but shouldn't have happened.

The game is actually a lot more finished than it appeared to be.

#10238 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I will say this though - the raised beacons rotating in a dark room were simply awesome in my own personal experience - the beams bounce all around the walls in your peripheral vision, when you're playing the game.

And in the end, that's all that will matter!

#10239 7 years ago

The xeno head in the back looks all shiny and sexy in the back but it's sad not to see it doing something. Any chance of making do a random hiss here and there until it's ready eat balls for dinner?

#10240 7 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

The xeno head in the back looks all shiny and sexy in the back but it's sad not to see it doing something. Any chance of making do a random hiss here and there until it's ready eat balls for dinner?

That's exactly what the xeno will do. It's all programmed in - just the activation timings aren't all programmed in - which is again a quick and easy fix.

Xeno snarls ... hisses ... and of course, eats pinballs!

#10241 7 years ago

super excited to see this coming along nicely! Looking forward to playing one again.

#10242 7 years ago

Awesomesauce, I can't wait to play this thing!

#10243 7 years ago

My Life is Compete, Now! 5000 Thumbs Up!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10244 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Life is Compete, Now! 5000 Thumbs Up!

Love the pic.
Just found my new computer background shot

#10245 7 years ago

Looks great and seems like some pretty significant play improvements from Expo. Well done! Looking forward to seeing an LE next

#10246 7 years ago

the raised beacons rotating in a dark room were simply awesome in my own personal experience

That was my first thought...you see the light when it's on, not the actual device. This is where guys chime in about how a game looks "turned-off" and want to feature it in their living room etc.

Update the software and let's ship these babies!!!

#10247 7 years ago

I love the spinner SFX, I'm really looking forward to getting my LE.

#10248 7 years ago

That's exactly what the xeno will do. It's all programmed in - just the activation timings aren't all programmed in - which is again a quick and easy fix.

That's pretty cool. Maybe have it open it's mouth or something when the ball hits a switch that's close to the head.

Too bad Xenos don't have eyes to track the ball like Rudy.

#10249 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I haven't seen it because that game is such a rip-off I'd never consider it, however if they've done a good job simulating an "old school" rotating beacon with LEDs good for them! I just don't think a strobe would be the same, it needs that rotating action. BTW - if you've never driven a vehicle with those on the top during a snow storm, be grateful, it is extremely weird and distracting, at least for a while.

#10250 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

biomech orifices and dicks. Why do the legs just look like angled pieces of metal? Why not biomech dicks?

He looooooooves the (biotech) dick!

Quoted from aeonblack:

My advice to everyone in this thread: give less f*cks.

That's some golden advice right there. The way some are carrying on, the size of the beacons is going to cause the implosion of the planet....

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,999 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/205 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.