(Topic ID: 172968)

New feature: Key posts (+ Pinside Editors wanted!)

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by idealjoker
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

key-posts-2 (resized).png

#1 7 years ago

TLDR

"Key posts" is a new feature that allows for the highlighting of important/interesting/useful posts in a thread and which together essentially create a "topic index": a table of contents for the thread. Read on to find out more!

Why do we need key posts?

Challenges/problems:

• The sheer amount of posts in a topic can be overwhelming and make you miss key information.
    • People asking the same questions over and over again, because they don't want to dig through hundreds of posts to find the information they are looking for;
    • People providing information that was already given a few hundreds posts ago, unaware that this information was already there;
    • Topics loosing direction or getting derailed due to lack thereof.

Key posts are our answer to these challenges. Essentially, a key post is nothing more than the notion that a post is to be considered essential, the information it provides should be known by everyone who is interested in the topic. It's a piece of information or an update that brings a topic forward and will frequently lead to a whole new series of questions, opinions, and discussion.

In a way, you could compare this to the index of a book. If you're looking for information in a book, you need an index to quickly find something that you're looking for. And you need the table of contents to get a feeling of the topics the book contain. Key posts are meant to work the same way; they should give direction and purpose to a topic. Ideally you should be able to get fully updated about (everything that has happened in) a topic just by reading all of its key posts.

What makes a key post?
    Basically any post in the forum can be marked as a key post by Pinside Staff and "Pinside editors" (more about them below). When marking a post as a key post, the editor is required to give a short summary of its contents.

Key posts have the following characteristics:

• They should be essential information that's vital to the topic;
    • They should contain factual information. Opinions or suggestions are generally not key posts;
    • They should bring the topic forward. In practice, this means they will frequently continue or lead to new discussion.

A list of all key posts linking to their associated posts, called the "topic index", will be displayed at the top of every topic that has them. This will allow reader to jump right in and start reading a topic at the spot they are most interested in. Or to quickly monitor a discuccion for new developments (e.g. "New pricing announced" or "New developments").

Who gets to mark posts as key posts?
    As you can see, marking posts as key posts is a task that requires precision and a knack to discern the most important elements in a discussion. For the system to work, it's important that everyone who marks key posts follows the same guidelines. This is why, for now, we will only allow Pinside staff and Pinside Editors to mark posts as key post. Note that we take the task quite seriously; editors are hand picked by us. To ensure key posts are marked in a consistent manner, we ask all editors to honor the criteria set by us. That being said, being an editor doesn't require a lot of extra time or effort. Even better, you can do it while doing what you already love doing: browsing the Pinside forums. And now you even have a great excuse to do so!

How do I become an editor? Pinside Editors wanted!
    To become an editor, send a PM to Robin or Martijn with a short explanation (300 characters at most) on why you would like to become one and what makes you a good candidate. Also, please let us know which section(s) of the forums you find most interesting or visit most frequently. This is to ensure that we will have adequate coverage throughout all areas and sub-forums. From the applications, we will select a small group of members to begin with. Once we get things running smoothly, we will expand this group based on the need for it.

Note that this function is only the beginning, and if things work out successfully, there will be more privileges we will make available to editors in the future that will help make Pinside even better!

How do I mark a post as a key post
    Just keep on doing what you're already doing and read the topics that interest you. When you see a post that meets all requirements of being a key post, you can indicate so by clicking the 'key post' button on the bottom left of that post (next to the 'drain post' button, only visible once you are an editor). Doing so opens a form where you can fill in a summary of the post and confirm your nomination. Note that if the post was already nominated by another editor, you will see the previous summary instead. You can edit this summary, if you see anything that can be improved (the idea being that editors work together as a team), or you can confirm your nomination without changing it.

Can you give me an example of a key post?
    To make clear what we had in mind when we were developing this feature, have a look at this thread for which we marked posts we considered key post worthy.

key-posts-2 (resized).pngkey-posts-2 (resized).png

As you can see, the result summarizes the thread rather nicely, and gives a good idea of its contents, its progress over time, and indicates you where to jump to in order read about a certain aspect of the discussion.

3 weeks later
    #2 7 years ago

I like this feature and think it could be valuable if used properly. One suggestion though. The KEY icon usually indicates that something is locked. I'll probably get used to it, but so far I have found it confusing. Have you considered using a compass rose icon instead?

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from KerryImming:

I like this feature and think it could be valuable if used properly. One suggestion though. The KEY icon usually indicates that something is locked. I'll probably get used to it, but so far I have found it confusing. Have you considered using a compass rose icon instead?

There is a padlock symbol for a locked thread. I was confused at first when I saw the key symbol though.

3 weeks later
    #4 7 years ago

bumping just to say as someone that doesn't browse pinside often, this feature is really really useful.

much thanks.

edit; would there happen to be a place that only shows a list of newly added key posts for all threads?

1 month later
    #5 7 years ago

Feedback on Key Posts feature from an editor: It takes me several days to go through an eighty page thread. To help me keep the index consistent I use my browser tabs. One tab I have the index open, another tab I have the thread open where I am working. This lets me look at the index without losing my place in the thread.
    Some key posts describe a process in steps.
    Example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration
    I think it's helpful to number the steps. A reader can then see if many posts cover the same process. I'm using the format step x of x right now but I think if all editors use the same format (whatever we decide is best) users will get the most benefit from an index.

I also try to summarize the post subject and answer into one or two sentences. "Repairing Insert Ghosting - clamp overnight," is better than, "How to repair ghosting."

I already see some of my earlier key post summaries I want to fix, lol. Soooo much good information in Vid's guides.
    Happy indexing everyone!

2 weeks later
    #6 7 years ago

What do you think about Key Posts including a button or link to the next key post, or maybe even a "view all key posts"? The thread below has over 140 key posts spread out over fifty pages or more. As the Key Posts feature usage grows there may be more long indexes such as this one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#

Currently I simply scroll to the next yellow background post.

I'm just thinking towards the future. User interface design can be complicated and robin & Martijn do a great job. Maybe right now this would only be useful in such limited circumstances the effort required to build the feature outweighs the usefulness?

#7 7 years ago

It was brought to my attention that the index (at least in some cases) is showing posts on the order they were marked as key posts, not the order they appeared in the thread.
    Example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion

Martijn is this by design? I think the index arranged by post number is the most helpful but I haven't thought much about it.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What do you think about Key Posts including a button or link to the next key post, or maybe even a "view all key posts"? The thread below has over 140 key posts spread out over fifty pages or more. As the Key Posts feature usage grows there may be more long indexes such as this one.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#
    Currently I simply scroll to the next yellow background post.
    I'm just thinking towards the future. User interface design can be complicated and robin & martijn do a great job. Maybe right now this would only be useful in such limited circumstances the effort required to build the feature outweighs the usefulness?

Thanks for the feedback. I agree it would be useful to be able to jump quickly through key posts using a navigation button. In fact we already thought of this, it just hasn't been added yet. Might be a bit of work indeed, will discuss this with @robin. I also like the idea of having a key post filter! Makes sense to add this as well.

#9 7 years ago

It was brought to my attention that the index (at least in some cases) is showing posts on the order they were marked as key posts, not the order they appeared in the thread.
    Example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion
    martijn is this by design? I think the index arranged by post number is the most helpful but I haven't thought much about it.

No, not by design. They should appear in posting order, so this appears to be a bug. We will look into this shortly.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

No, not by design. They should appear in posting order, so this appears to be a bug. We will look into this shortly.

This has been fixed and should work properly now. Let us know if there are still issues with this. Thanks!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

This has been fixed and should work properly now. Let us know if there are still issues with this. Thanks!

Duplicate account!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

Thanks for the feedback. I agree it would be useful to be able to jump quickly through key posts using a navigation button. In fact we already thought of this, it just hasn't been added yet. Might be a bit of work indeed, will discuss this with robin. I also like the idea of having a key post filter! Makes sense to add this as well.

This button has been added as well, btw. Apparently Robin had already added this feature on our development server, he just hadn't pushed it to live yet.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Duplicate account!

Mhm, you hereby win the quickest-reveal-of-a-duplicate-user-attempt-achievement. I only need to implement this achievement now!

Now, is there somebody aware of a way to dodge the moderators around here?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

This button has been added as well, btw. Apparently Robin had already added this feature on our development server, he just hadn't pushed it to live yet.

Excellent feature, nicely implemented!
    Is there a way to see what threads are marked favorite by the most users? When deciding which threads to mark with key posts it might be helpful to prioritize the threads with the greatest number of favorites.

2 months later
    #16 6 years ago

Just a suggestion on the topics that dont have key post editors. It would be great to have the opportunity to flag as a key post.
    Then the people that kan make that post keyed can verify it and make it so.

Added over 7 years ago: robin

6 months later
    #17 6 years ago

So 1yr later... robin is the feature being used? It doesn't seem to come up in conversation much... any monitoring of the links in the logs to see if users are using the indexes?

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So 1yr later... robin is the feature being used? It doesn't seem to come up in conversation much... any monitoring of the links in the logs to see if users are using the indexes?

A number of the large mega-threads and tutorial threads have dozens of key posts in them. For most of the everyday discussion or troubleshooting threads, they aren't used much.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A number of the large mega-threads and tutorial threads have dozens of key posts in them. For most of the everyday discussion or troubleshooting threads, they aren't used much.

I know this... as I helped index them the question is more towards "are they being used" - aka does the feature have any traction

It takes diligence to keep tagging stuff and I was wondering if the effort is paying off

#21 6 years ago

I appreciate the efforts
    and use them when i come across threads that utilize them,
    especially threads that are 10+ pages long.

#22 6 years ago

as a editor and user I find the key posts invaluable. got my AFMR coming and was able to find the key issues with the key posts very quickly. This was a great addition.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I know this... as I helped index them the question is more towards "are they being used" - aka does the feature have any traction
    It takes diligence to keep tagging stuff and I was wondering if the effort is paying off

This is not easy to monitor, i.e. key post clicks are not monitored/counted - but I would guess that they do help a lot of people find the good stuff.

I have some cool ideas to further develop the concept - but it will be a while before I can work on it because I'm currently occupied with a bunch of other developments for the site.

3 years later
    #24 2 years ago

robin - On occasion I come across a post that would qualify as a "Key Post" but I don't want to become an editor just to gain the ability to make these decisions. I just don't participate on here enough to deserve that designation.

So...could there be a way for users to suggest posts for "Key Post" consideration? In my ignorance, I'd see it working in much the same way the "report post" feature works - i.e., there's no guarantee that it would get booked as a "Key Post" but at least an expert could weigh in and make a determination.

For example, I'm buying a Taxi and am working through the 50+ pages in that thread to get ready. One common issue with the game is the Spinout plunge/skill shot often gets messed up. There are dozens of posts with people complaining about it not working and then the inevitable replies about how to get it sorted out properly. This post (linked below) seems to be the best explanation (43 pages in) about how to get it working properly:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/43#post-5807869

As you can see...it's probably a "Key Post". The thread isn't that active, so I doubt any of the editors would ever have the chance to stumble upon this naturally.

Anyway, just something for you to consider.

I love this place and thank you for all you do to keep the hobby going.

#25 2 years ago

I marked it.

Also note there is no index generated until multiple posts have been marked. So if only one post 43 pages in is marked as a key post almost no one will know until they scroll past the different colored post.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

robin - On occasion I come across a post that would qualify as a "Key Post" but I don't want to become an editor just to gain the ability to make these decisions. I just don't participate on here enough to deserve that designation.
    So...could there be a way for users to suggest posts for "Key Post" consideration? In my ignorance, I'd see it working in much the same way the "report post" feature works - i.e., there's no guarantee that it would get booked as a "Key Post" but at least an expert could weigh in and make a determination.
    For example, I'm buying a Taxi and am working through the 50+ pages in that thread to get ready. One common issue with the game is the Spinout plunge/skill shot often gets messed up. There are dozens of posts with people complaining about it not working and then the inevitable replies about how to get it sorted out properly. This post (linked below) seems to be the best explanation (43 pages in) about how to get it working properly:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/43#post-5807869
    As you can see...it's probably a "Key Post". The thread isn't that active, so I doubt any of the editors would ever have the chance to stumble upon this naturally.
    Anyway, just something for you to consider.
    I love this place and thank you for all you do to keep the hobby going.

Thank you!

Also note there is no index generated until multiple posts have been marked. So if only one post 43 pages in is marked as a key post almost no one will know until they scroll past the different colored post.

Knowing that...I'm going to furiously scroll through the 50 pages of that thread and find a second "Key Post" for you to note.

#27 2 years ago

This would be a great feature. I recently when through all bazillion pages of the White Water thread and was shocked there were zero key posts with how popular of a game it is.

#28 2 years ago

I'd be happy to add key posts as needed too. Just send me a message!

I think the problem is some of us, or at least me, only looks at certain threads so may not see a lot that should be marked. It would also be nice to have those with "key posts" ability shown by their avatar.

#29 2 years ago

I would think that the thread starter should be allowed to mark key posts in their own topic as well.

5 months later
    #30 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I would think that the thread starter should be allowed to mark key posts in their own topic as well.

Is this under consideration/development?

1 year later
    #31 10 months ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Quoted from jfh:

Is this under consideration/development?

This seems like a no-brainer, thought it had already been done! Just a friendly check-in on this

#32 10 months ago

Another idea to minimize repeat questions: A dedicated “owner’s thread” for every game.

Some have created these threads independently, but I think it would be good to have a master index by game name and a corresponding thread.

6 months later
    #33 3 months ago

Submitted my request to be an editor for key posts as private messages but posting here as well. Please let me know if you need the help.
    Thanks!

#34 3 months ago

I am trying to delete a key post that is no longer valid. I can click on the little X button and I get a window asking for confirmation. I confirm, and the post disappears. I re-load the page and the key post is there again. Any help appreciated.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/key-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.