pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 242 of 601.
#12051 7 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Crap, now I want to add coin mechs too. Anyone know their cost?

Coin mechs are cheap and they are an industry standard. Pick them up from twistedquarter.com or their eBay Store. For about 10 clams each .

#12052 7 years ago

#12053 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also knew as an early adopter that things change and that is part of the gig of being and early adopter, so I think that plays in as a factor.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is an excellent point that should not be forgotten.

As an early adaptor I would like to add something to the context. For 'small' changes like the CPU upgrade that can be solved due to the modular build I agree. For other parts, like changing the design of the cabinet that cannot be solved as a modular change it is going to depend on the impact of that change on the experience of the player. I find that in respect of the unique selling point of Heighway being the Heighway Pinball Game change System (HPGS) the system should be future proof. If changes to that system are needed it should be possible to also update older systems to the new norm at any give point in time.

#12054 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Wait so I can't play my PS4 games in my Playstation 1?

When you bought PS1, they never said you'd be able to play future titles.

#12055 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

When you bought PS1, they never said you'd be able to play future titles.

But I think you'd expect the technology to be current for more than one title.

If I was a FT owner I'd expect Heighway provide the necessary upgrade when I purchased Alien, and I'm sure they will.

#12056 7 years ago

Here's a hypothetical. I'm not sure if this is valid, but let's see what the group thinks.

Scenario 1: I paid $6200 for FullT, I decide to get Kit, for (let's say) $4500 with computer upgrade...I've now paid $10,700. What's my game + PF worth after 1 year of play? No idea. I'm guessing $7K-8K and possibly a tough sale.

Scenario 2: I paid $6200 for FullT, then pay $6300 + tax for Alien. I paid $12,500+ What are my games worth after a year? I'd guess I get $5k each, $10K for the pair. Perhaps easier to sell?

These are guesses. Lots of assumptions.

I'm speculating that the game with 2 play fields depreciates faster than the 2 separate games.

So, given plenty of available space and the ability to afford the initially higher cost of scenario 2, perhaps this is the better approach.

What do you think?

#12057 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The Carpenter collection, an amalgamation of:
They Live
Assault on Precinct 13
The Thing
Halloween
Escape from NY
*EDITED* to include Big Trouble in Little China

How about these Carpenters? When I first read it, thats what I thought you actually meant. Haha

rd

IMG_4612 (resized).JPGIMG_4612 (resized).JPG

#12058 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Here's a hypothetical. I'm not sure if this is valid, but let's see what the group thinks.
Scenario 1: I paid $6200 for FullT, I decide to get Kit, for (let's say) $4500 with computer upgrade...I've now paid $10,700. What's my game + PF worth after 1 year of play? No idea. I'm guessing $7K-8K and possibly a tough sale.
Scenario 2: I paid $6200 for FullT, then pay $6300 + tax for Alien. I paid $12,500+ What are my games worth after a year? I'd guess I get $5k each, $10K for the pair. Perhaps easier to sell?
I'm speculating that the game with 2 play fields depreciates faster than the 2 separate games.
So, given plenty of available space and the ability to afford the initially higher cost of scenario 2, perhaps this is the better approach.
What do you think?

Good point. In my situation its more space than money. So if I can only fit one more cabinet in, the process of swapping a playfield is much easier than selling and moving a complete game. Even if I don't get the same $ return, the value for me is being able to change a game in a few minutes rather than going through a potentially month long process of buying and selling a game.

#12059 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

What do you think?

Until they can get the price of kits down... and reliable... your logic is pretty sound. The kit idea just doesn't work well unless the incentive is there in lower costs.. and lower costs won't get there without great volume. Volume is still an unproven thing here..

#12060 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Until they can get the price of kits down... and reliable... your logic is pretty sound. The kit idea just doesn't work well unless the incentive is there in lower costs.. and lower costs won't get there without great volume. Volume is still an unproven thing here..

I actually think kits hold their value just like a full pin.

I have to imagine there will be LOTS of Alien full game buyers and likely some full throttle full game that may be willing to sell their kit after swapping in Aliens. Costs have gone up for games since Full T originally shipped, so selling the kit should be pretty easy on its own.

#12061 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

If changes to that system are needed it should be possible to also update older systems to the new norm at any give point in time.

I assume you are referencing the side blades being recessed on Aliens and not on Full Throttle?

If so, then I think that is tough luck. The side blades are an additional feature offered on Aliens that were not offered on Full T full game. You will still be able to drop in full alien game and play it just fine even without light up side blades. I disagree with any thought that you would expect a manufacturer to upgrade your old cabinet to a new one.

If a person is planning on having a base cabinet style to swap in multiple games then the Full Throttle cab is the best one anyway. Easy to not have to worry about die art at all when swapping between games.

#12062 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I actually think kits hold their value just like a full pin.

I'd love to be able to wager on this point, but unfortunately we're on the wrong sides of it. (You own both full games, I am considering the kit.). I suppose a wager could be a hedge...

#12063 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'd love to be able to wager on this point, but unfortunately we're on the wrong sides of it. (You own both full games, I am considering the kit.). I suppose a wager could be a hedge...

Quoted from Russell:

I am planning on a kit also, likely multiple.

#12064 7 years ago

How many FullTs do you have?

Btw, I think FullT is a great game, and wildly underrated. One bad shot, flippers too flat, but otherwise great. I need to put together a formal review.

#12065 7 years ago

Which shot is the 'bad' one?

#12066 7 years ago

The center ramp.

#12067 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The center ramp.

?

just loosen and raise the right ramp flap entrance so it does not swoop up as much. Butter smooth after that. Right ramp is every bit as awesome to hit as left after that adjustment.

You may need to put a small piece of double side foam down under the spot where the blue steel is to raise it a bit. (similar to what is under TAF for example; if you are familiar with it)

Quoted from Russell:

flippers too flat

You can easily change the coil stop of you want to be able to trap easier. I personally like the angle on them and find it to increase the pace of the flow.

Quoted from Russell:

How many FullTs do you have?

Just 1, but I assume with 2 Heighway cabs, we will be swapping in kits in the future. heck if Aliens continues to dominate like it has, then we may be getting an Aliens kit in the future.

#12068 7 years ago

Aslong as Heighway distributors have a cabinet only option to go along with full game and kit options I don't see why kit prices would devslue any more than a full game, providing kit prices are competitive enough to offer a signification insentive to buy over a full game in the first place.

#12069 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

What do you think?

Also, if they are bought to route on location
2 games always earns more than 1.

#12070 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Wait so I can't play my PS4 games in my Playstation 1?

Shit, you can't play PS1 games on a PS4...

#12071 7 years ago

I thought of this thread when I saw this picture for an advert skin on a train...
IMG_1737 (resized).JPGIMG_1737 (resized).JPG

#12072 7 years ago

I think kits will hold there value similar to an average used pin. Meaning you will lose a little but not enough to worry about.

#12073 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm in! Order placed for an Alien!

What's the ETA on the game getting to you?

#12074 7 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

What's the ETA on the game getting to you?

I currently have no idea. I'm in no flaming hurry. I'll get it when I get it

#12075 7 years ago

Must say I am impressed with Heighway Pinball. I sent an email with questions yesterday and received a detailed response today.

Can't wait to see Alien at TPF on Friday. Woot!

#12076 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume you are referencing the side blades being recessed on Aliens and not on Full Throttle?
If so, then I think that is tough luck. The side blades are an additional feature offered on Aliens that were not offered on Full T full game. You will still be able to drop in full alien game and play it just fine even without light up side blades. I disagree with any thought that you would expect a manufacturer to upgrade your old cabinet to a new one.
If a person is planning on having a base cabinet style to swap in multiple games then the Full Throttle cab is the best one anyway. Easy to not have to worry about die art at all when swapping between games.

No, I am referring to this:

I find that in respect of the unique selling point of Heighway being the Heighway Pinball Game change System (HPGS) the system should be future proof. If changes to that system are needed it should be possible to also update older systems to the new norm at any give point in time.

In other words the base concept that is not adjustable should be the same and any changes should be resolvable by using the modular build of the pin.

As I have room for only one pin, but multiple kits above selling point was a very important one for me to decide to go for Heighway.

#12077 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The side blades are an additional feature offered on Aliens that were not offered on Full T full game.

I think this option will also be available for their future titles and not be specifically related to Alien. So in that respect it is the new norm of the cabinet.

#12079 7 years ago

There have been rumours coming out of Fox for a few years now that since Marvels success with the MCU, that upper execs at FOX have wanted to expand the Alien franchise into a "shared/expanded" universe.

I just hope Covenant is better than Prometheus, I thought Ressurection was bad but Prometheus was bad & boring!

#12080 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I just hope Covenant is better than Prometheus, I thought Ressurection was bad but Prometheus was bad & boring!

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus? I thought it was a great movie, Resurrection wasn't great but it was entertaining, it had alot of cheese but I like cheese, I'm a like a big mouse.

#12081 7 years ago

Can't get excited about Alien movies any more. I understand they make money, so they'll keep coming, but they don't seem able to come close to the earlier achievements.

It was exciting that a real sequel to Aliens was considered and bringing back Hicks with Ripley, but that idea was shitcanned, and all the other ideas they have are garbage.

#12082 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus?

You may be. Prometheus was beautiful to look at, but the HUGE plot holes and just completely unbelievable characters ruined it for me.

Oh, and I am also SO VERY EXCITED to play Alien at TPF in just a few days!

#12083 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Can't get excited about Alien movies any more. I understand they make money, so they'll keep coming, but they don't seem able to come close to the earlier achievements.
It was exciting that a real sequel to Aliens was considered and bringing back Hicks with Ripley, but that idea was shitcanned, and all the other ideas they have are garbage.

Alien went the same way as other iconic franchises: Terminator & Predator are the best and most similar examples after the first 2 (although I like Alien 3, would loved to have seen a hidden ladder in the pin with Alien 3 modes) the series all took a huge dive bomb in quality.

Yeah Ridley coming back to the franchise really shafted Blomkamp and his vision for Alien 5, Sigourney, Biehn and even Cameron where all on board with his screenplay and script.

#12084 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus? I thought it was a great movie

It was a good movie. There was too much hype and expectation, especially from people who fancy themselves "hardcore" fans.

#12085 7 years ago

In other words the base concept that is not adjustable should be the same and any changes should be resolvable by using the modular build of the pin.
As I have room for only one pin, but multiple kits above selling point was a very important one for me to decide to go for Heighway.

Well I think that's the whole concept with Highway Pinball. Kits and 2 minutes for two people to make an entire switch. One person can do it in well under 5.

#12086 7 years ago

right on. You can't market the system and then make changes to the "base" of the system...a CPU is one thing, a different cabinet is not cool. If future titles have blades but because you supported the team early (and helped fund these new titles) you get screwed out of that feature? And if they made 1 game with those features they sure aren't going to waste the opportunity to add it to future games...

#12087 7 years ago

I guess if you really want the EL blades, you can sell your Full Throttle and order an Alien, then order a full throttle kit.
Personally I would buy a full throttle without the new cabinet as the EL blades don't matter to me. I'd probably want the chrome upgrade though, that look awesome.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

right on. You can't market the system and then make changes to the "base" of the system...a CPU is one thing, a different cabinet is not cool. If future titles have blades but because you supported the team early (and helped fund these new titles) you get screwed out of that feature? And if they made 1 game with those features they sure aren't going to waste the opportunity to add it to future games...

#12088 7 years ago

If you really want the EL blades then buy a router and mod your cabinet to fit them. End of. Too much whining here over nothing.

#12089 7 years ago

Ok, looks like people are just trying to find anything to talk about since there is no new news from Heighway....ok, I'll contribute too.....how about those leg levelers that they are using...are they the same as the ones on the Full Throttle pin? If not, they need to change them asap! does anyone know what color they are? I tried looking in the pics, but I just couldn't see.....I wish they would add them to the option chart so we know, I mean, WTH!

Brian

#12090 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Here, I'll reuse your pic for you.
4df97fc27cd73d2cd1d070c52d64e55e67d08ac6 (resized).jpg4df97fc27cd73d2cd1d070c52d64e55e67d08ac6 (resized).jpg

#12091 7 years ago

Let's discuss rules and gameplay. Far more interesting.

#12092 7 years ago

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Discussing a fundamental change in the cabinet after 1 title that is the basis for a swap system....that's waaaaay off base and reaching. OK. THAT'S whining. Got it. Thanks internet pinball gurus and arm chair moderators. Thoughtful positive dialogue as usual.

Is it a deal breaker? No. Not knowing how they will be implemented on future titles is a mild bummer and completely legitimate discussion. I already have a router and if I wanted to build my own pinball cabinets I wouldn't have dropped $7k supporting the company so they could, in part, bring Alien in to production.

Again, not a huge deal. Andrew is a great guy and I'm happy to support him.

I was using the crying pic because I was sad...sad that people didn't agree with me on the internet!! Pleeeeease validate me!!

#12093 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

a standard alien with the 27" monitor is $10500 in Canadian funds.. plus shipping to your door

Yup,that's what FT was .

#12094 7 years ago
Quoted from Almost4200hp:

If you really want the EL blades then buy a router and mod your cabinet to fit them. End of. Too much whining here over nothing.

It is not about the blades but about the basic concept. But as always, lot of fundamental discussion going on here. Thanks for that.

#12095 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I already have a router and if I wanted to build my own pinball cabinets I wouldn't have dropped $7k supporting the company so they could, in part, bring Alien in to production.

Couldn't agree more, it's bizarre that in this hobby any questioning of an issue is instantly whining or bashing. With the way Heighway has setup their swappable system I'm sure there are multiple options so early Heighway customers don't feel left in the cold.

Cabinet only option is one easy solution to allow users a quick and cheap upgrade option, it would also allow anyone with a kit in the future they decide to turn into a dedicated game to buy a cabinet only and drop their kit into it.

If cabinet only is something Heighway consider could offer self assembly or pre built by offering self assembly (replacement panels for damaged route pins) users could just buy two new side cabinet panels again another simple solution, so no customers are ever left behind.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

I was using the crying pic because I was sad...sad that people didn't agree with me on the internet!! Pleeeeease validate me!!

IMG_1195 (resized).JPGIMG_1195 (resized).JPG

#12096 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Coin mechs are cheap and they are an industry standard. Pick them up from twistedquarter.com or their eBay Store. For about 10 clams each .

Are the doors otherwise ready to accept mechs? Don't want to get a blank door for example.

#12097 7 years ago

So when you eventually buy a kit do you add that game to your Pinside collection? I know I would. It's not a full separate game....but then again it only takes a few minutes to swap. Hell you could have a league night and play both (or more) games.

#12098 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus? I thought it was a great movie, Resurrection wasn't great but it was entertaining, it had alot of cheese but I like cheese, I'm a like a big mouse.

Same here, if you come to YEGpin we'll have to be sure to stand around the alien singing the praises of Prometheus lol

#12099 7 years ago

When you swap between kits do you need to update the game software each time or does the PC hold multiple game profiles and automatically detect which playfield is plugged in similar to what Nucore does? I know I'd be apt to swap games more often if it didn't require a software update and having to readjust your settings each time.

#12100 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

When you swap between kits do you need to update the game software each time or does the PC hold multiple game profiles and automatically detect which playfield is plugged in similar to what Nucore does? I know if be apt to swap games more often if it didn't require a software update and having to readjust your settings each time.

Plug in a USB stick with the game you want to plays software. Takes a couple extra seconds to boot up. No big stern type of updates or process. USB stays in the CPU with current game software.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 242 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/242 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.