zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 383 of 601.
#19101 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Since neither I nor the animator have received a game or frankly even played one it's the kind of touch that hasn't been worked on.

I played one on location in the bay area. It's a cool game.

Oh, and whoever did the pf art deserves a lot of credit. Looks great.

#19102 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That was always the plan actually, from when I first proposed the airlock screen. Since neither I nor the animator have received a game or frankly even played one it's the kind of touch that hasn't been worked on.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You guys haven’t gotten a game? Do you guys not also do work at Heighway? Sheesh that is crazy.

Perhaps you need to take a trip and come visit aurich

#19103 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I played one on location in the bay area. It's a cool game.
Oh, and whoever did the pf art deserves a lot of credit. Looks great.

Aurich did the playfield art.

#19105 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

You guys haven’t gotten a game? Do you guys not also do work at Heighway?

Work, yes....paid, no....

#19106 6 years ago

Ferret @aurich, I suppose if the animation cannot be done due to not having a game, the sound could still be added for whenever you press the extra ball button during multiballs it can still use the call outs that are already in the game that says the name of the weapon, which would indicate which one is active....

#19107 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

can post a video of their game working 100% and with the right up post stopping balls as intended. Until then they don't count as fully working. It is a pretty major thing to be needed for accurate game play. I believe that all game stats will need to be reset because of: this issue, occasional infinite game, following addition of wizard mode, following confirmation chest burster switch is working correctly, following confirmation ramp enter switch on hypersleep ramp is working correctly, following confirmation 5 standup weapon targets register AND that Xeno head is working as intended. Combined these affect many stats and there is an option to reset all game stats.

My right up post can be twitchy working right sometimes and other times it drops too fast. Everything else you mentioned works perfectly on mine.. yes including the Chestburster switch and target. I've never had any issues with my Xeno head working correctly. All switches and targets register....ALL.

#19108 6 years ago

Yes!!!! I just beat my first mini wizard mode! Self destruct complete!!

#19109 6 years ago

Im sure its in this thread, I just don't want to read through 19000 posts. lol Anyway, can anyone tell me what was replaced to taken off/added from the earlier games? And any word on updating code from where it is now? Thanks Mike

#19110 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Im sure its in this thread, I just don't want to read through 19000 posts. lol Anyway, can anyone tell me what was replaced to taken off/added from the earlier games? And any word on updating code from where it is now? Thanks Mike

Ask Ferret. Or he'll pop up an answer at times. He's great.

#19111 6 years ago

Made some Full Throttle Gameplay Videos for those who would like to deep dive in to the game.
Enjoy!
Coin door opened by accident in the last one lol

#19112 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This is bullshit! These games are being rushed and shipped out the door with no Quality Control because they know people are just happy to get them no matter what. Sorry, but there is no excuse for this! (yes, I had tequila!) Dilly Dilly!

They haven't rushed any out the door to the game designers..what up wit dat?!? Let's get these guys games already HP

Quoted from Aurich:

That was always the plan actually, from when I first proposed the airlock screen. Since neither I nor the animator have received a game or frankly even played one it's the kind of touch that hasn't been worked on.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#19113 6 years ago

sound could still be added for whenever you press the extra ball button during multiballs it can still use the call outs that are already in the game that says the name of the weapon, which would indicate which one is active....

If you have more than one weapon when you press the extra ball button you will get a sound effect that includes the sound of the selected weapon. For instance, the shotgun is very distinctive. Muthur might be too much but we will consider it.

Added recently is your active weapon displayed on the airlock screen during modes.
Your available weapons and selected weapon is displayed whenever the dashboard is available.
Displaying the currently selected weapon on the airlock during Ambush sound feasible

Adding more useful information is what we intend once we have everything in place. There are a number of enhancements that we have on the list. Using the airlock screen for useful information is one of them Improving they test status at the bottom of the dashboard is another.

We have to get the AV assets into the final final mode first and then we will start enhancing things. Hopefully by that time the other US developers will have machines and this will be easier.

BTW - The Vent 3 shot is the Super Jackpot during Ambush. Hudson goes bonkers when you make it. There are improvements to Ambush on the table as well.

This is an exciting time to be able to 'polish the apple' in Alien development. There are too many things out of our control to be able to suggest when this enhancement upgrade will be available but first quarter should be right.

tip: When you get the shotgun make sure it is the selected weapon and that you are at the '2 Xenos left' state. If you are heading for a sure drain - whack the launch button. This will start Ambush Multiball (in spite of the drain). A very satisfying maneuver.

ddt

#19114 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

If you have more than one weapon when you press the extra ball button you will get a sound effect that includes the sound of the selected weapon. For instance, the shotgun is very distinctive. Muthur might be too much but we will consider it.
Added recently is your active weapon displayed on the airlock screen during modes.
Your available weapons and selected weapon is displayed whenever the dashboard is available.
Displaying the currently selected weapon on the airlock during Ambush sound feasible
Adding more useful information is what we intend once we have everything in place. There are a number of enhancements that we have on the list. Using the airlock screen for useful information is one of them Improving they test status at the bottom of the dashboard is another.
We have to get the AV assets into the final final mode first and then we will start enhancing things. Hopefully by that time the other US developers will have machines and this will be easier.
BTW - The Vent 3 shot is the Super Jackpot during Ambush. Hudson goes bonkers when you make it. There are improvements to Ambush on the table as well.
This is an exciting time to be able to 'polish the apple' in Alien development. There are too many things out of our control to be able to suggest when this enhancement upgrade will be available but first quarter should be right.
tip: When you get the shotgun make sure it is the selected weapon and that you are at the '2 Xenos left' state. If you are heading for a sure drain - whack the launch button. This will start Ambush Multiball (in spite of the drain). A very satisfying maneuver.
ddt

Added recently? As in the not yet released code? My game does not give gun sound effects in ambush multiball to indicate which gun you have selected when you press the extra ball button, and it also doesn’t show it on the airlock display.

#19115 6 years ago

Anyone here Ever had any issue with the airlock struggling to shoot the ball out? Tonight it started to shoot out weak and now it takes like 4 or 5 tries. Update: nothing is loose the coil fires strong. It appears that it fires so strong that it shoots it straight up and hits the top of the curved metal at the top of the scoop and then comes back down. I’ve tried to bend it up and then it doesn’t go forward it just shoots up, hits the metal curve and then back into the hole, o tried down and it works but it makes the ball hop hard onto the pf infront of the airlock shot making dents on pf and then barely rolling down the pf... it’s almost like it needs to move forward and add more curve, it’s like the curve is too far back as the ball isn’t traveling along the back it’s shooting in the middle of the assembly and hitting the top and going back down. Any ideas? I have no idea how I would do that. Or perhaps someone else has a better solution?

#19116 6 years ago

Sorry folks, I'm a couple days behind here, been rather busy of late... and that's when y'all took the opportunity to liven up this thread. Here are a few scattered comments on recent stuff...

@VividPsychosis: congrats on your new game, so glad that you're happy with it despite teething pains. Maybe I need to come visit you to experience a production game... at least you're in the same state as me.

Ambush Multiball: the Xenos attack in waves. They'll approach from one of four quadrants, represented both on the display scanner, as well as via playfield lights (leftmost quadrant = red lights, 2nd quadrant = green lights, 3rd quadrant = blue lights, 4th quadrant = yellow lights ... note that some lights are on targets, not just "shots"). Shooting any lit quadrant shot/target kills that Xeno, which you can think of as a "jackpot". We rarely use the term "jackpot" in Alien, which was a conscious decision... "jackpot" doesn't mean anything in the Alien universe, but killing a Xeno means something! Once you've killed all the Xenos in an attack wave, a Super will become available on the Vent 3 shot (including the cleverly labeled insert "Super"), also indicated by a cluster of Xenos in that position on the radar tracker. Shoot Vent 3 to collect the Super Jackpot and release the next attack wave. We have considered tweaking this rule a bit to allow the next attack wave to start if you haven't collected the Super after some time, just so the player doesn't feel like they're "in jail"... if this happens, there will probably be a scoring penalty imposed on the Super. Further details (if any) TBD.

Orbit up-posts: the intention is that when they're supposed to go up, they're supposed to stay up for 2 seconds, in order to deflect the ball. We're aware that on some machines, some up-posts don't stay up for the full duration, which can prevent the ball from getting deflected into the LV lanes and pop bumpers as intended. I don't know the rhyme or reason of why some posts work properly and others don't, but in the upcoming v1.1 code we've strengthened these coils with the expectation that they'll work properly for everyone... fingers crossed.

Weapons info: as daudioguy noted, when pressing the Extra Ball button to cycle the "active" weapon, there is a distinct sound effect (not speech) when each weapon is selected, if you have code v1.0 or later. In code v1.1 or later, anytime the main screens are busy (modes and multiballs), the Airlock LCD provides more information, including info on the currently active weapon, so you always have guidance to help select your desired weapon.

Code v1.1 is currently in testing, and will be made available to anyone who currently has v1.02 on their machine. We're being quite cautious with the release; we want to ensure as much as possible that we don't break anyone's game with the update. Just to "whet your appetite", as someone requested, I'm attaching the release notes for v1.1... it's radically improved over v1.02, as we've turned our attention from "making it work" to "making it more awesome". (It was already awesome IMHO )

Changes since 1.02:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where a player would not be able to enter initials for a high score, if another player had already entered initials.
• Fixed a display glitch after one player entered initials, if another player also made the high score table but hadn't entered initials yet. The "pending" entry was rendered incorrectly.
• Fix presentation of Host Value award.
• Fixed several bugs in the extra ball buy-in logic.
• Fixed "0 Credits, Press Start" message in attract mode.
• Fixed Airlock scoop switch from reporting the inverse of its switch level sometimes.
• Fixed Save Newt insert not blinking during its multiball.
• Fixed mismatch between display instructions, playfield lighting, and what shots actually scored during Derelict Ship. Everything should match now.
• Fixed infinite ball saver bug that would occur if ball saver was turned on after a left outlane "Revive" was started, but before the ball returned to the trough.
• Fixed multiball modes sometimes not ending after returning to 1-ball play.
• Fixed IO board firmware update failure if interrupted by pressing another coin door button.
• Increased duty cycle to the up posts as some machines were not holding reliably.
• Center magnet now activates sooner when attempting to grab the ball; this should eliminate some cases of the magnet missing the ball.
• Fix Xenomorph eating the ball when you had 1 more Lifecycle to go for Save Newt and multiple shots to be completed.
• Added a brief delay between knocker and shaker motor during replay/match effects.
• Fixed the General Brightness adjustment. Setting it to 9 or 10 (the highest) would not turn on the backbox/side panel lights at all. This now works.
• Reduced the factory default shaker motor power to 50%. Existing users will need to apply this adjustment manually.
• Reduced duty cycle on the center magnet when flinging the ball.
• Fixed entering test mode from within a game and returning all balls to the trough before the game resumes. Previously the game would wait forever. Now, the game will either end ball, or, if the playfield was never validated, put a ball back to the shooter. Note: setting adjustment OPEN DOOR SAVE to YES will ensure that balls get returned to play from the trough instead of ending the ball.
• Fixed a sound system bug that caused the bonus background to be louder than intended.
• Progress towards Ambush MB was counted if you entered test mode during a game and activated the center targets; this has been corrected.
• Ambush MB would continue advancing Xenos toward the center if you entered test mode during a game; this has been corrected.

System Features:

• Added the coil adjustments menu. Each coil can be individually adjusted between 25% weaker and 25% stronger from the recommended value.
• Improved knocker sound plus increased its volume.
• Added knocker sound to sound test.
• Improved the communications between the CPU and the I/O boards in several ways, so that the game should feel more responsive than before.
• Added support for IO board firmware version 0.8.
• Improved the way that the front cabinet lights (start, launch) are strobed.
• Coin door lamp is now illuminated anytime credits can be added.
• Increased delay between ball launches slightly.
• Auto launch will now retry a few more times before going into panic mode.
• Auto launch will now wait a little longer before launching a ball just kicked from the trough. This should reduce failed attempts that bounce back because the ball had not settled.
• Added playfield coordinates to Coils Test.
• In tests which display the playfield map, the selected item is now highlighted with a blinking marker.
• Extra-ball buyin adjustments have changed. The on/off adjustment now configures the price of an extra ball, and may be set to OFF (default), 1/2 CREDIT, or 1 CREDIT. Also added an adjustment BUYIN LIMIT which determines the maximum number of times a player may buyin when not set to OFF. Default is 3.

Game Features:

• Don't start background lamp effect for Mother award during multiball play, as it makes it harder to follow the other ball(s).
• Changed insert color for Drop Ship/2X scoring to differentiate from other similar colors.
• Smart Gun now much smarter about which shot to award, including considering an implied value of advancing towards or starting multiballs.
• Light Extra Ball at a certain number of Lifecycles (adjustable; default is 3).
• Light Special after a certain number of modes won (adjustable; default is 4).
• Extra Ball/Special point awards added when they can't be awarded.
• Add Hypersleep MB difficulty adjustment, which controls how many ball locks are required to start the first Hypersleep MB. Subsequent Hypersleep MBs require an extra lock, to a limit of 3.
• Add Recharge difficulty adjustment, which controls whether Recharge can be used multiple times per mode/multiball (Easy), or only once (Hard). Default is EASY.
• Add new rule for increasing the Host Value by making Combos.
• Add points when winning some modes, where nothing was awarded before.
• Drop targets no longer validate the playfield.
• Add additional sounds for the upper left loop
• Pop bumpers no longer pause timers during multiball.
• Don't bring out the xenomorph toy if Ambush MB is started by activating a weapon. This is to prevent damage to the mechanism caused by a free ball on the playfield.
• Derelict Ship now shows progress towards completing the first phase on the display.
• Airlock LCD now shows more information during modes and multiballs.
• Added new sounds for the Vent 2 and Vent 3 shots.
• Added new sounds for Double Scoring.
• Added a sound for active ball saver.
• Changed how the Chestburster shot is scored to improve tolerance for a bad inductive lane switch:
• If Chestburster Lane Diff is set to Easy, either the lane switch OR the standup will award the shot. This is now the default behavior.
• If Chestburster Lane Diff is set to Hard, the standup is required, and the lane switch is effectively ignored.
• Slightly reduce the ammo boost provided by the main shots towards qualifying Sentry Guns.
• During Queen's Nest, Vent 3 now diverts to the eggs, unless mode win is qualified.
• Add information about how to qualify Hypersleep locks to the status line.
• Improved choreography during Ambush MB.
• Scenes can now be resumed from grace periods correctly. This fixes the false awarding of "Add More Time" from Mother when the mode had expired due to the ball sitting in the eject for too long.
• Multiballs can now be resumed from grace periods correctly. This fixes the false awarding of "Add-A-Ball" from Mother when the multiball had drained out due to the ball sitting in the eject for too long.
• Combo lamp effects are reduced in priority.
• Improved lighting for Queen's Nest start.
• Mother Mystery now more likely to give "Reset Tilt Warnings".
• Mother Mystery "Special" now possible, though very low probability.
• Egg Value raised during Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest.
• Add +2X shot multiplier for completing drops sequentially during APC mode.
• Increased Rescue scoring; reduced frenzy timer.
• Added Rescue pot multiplier rule. Completing the APC targets in order during Rescue multiplies the pot collected. This can be repeated multiple times.
• Changes to All Out War:
• AOW now shows a simple background display with mode instructions.
• AOW now starts with 5 balls instead of 4.
• Completing all weapons targets now adds a ball if possible, else starts a ball saver.
• Completing all 6 "big arrows" now increases the shot multiplier for all "big arrow" shots.
• Bleeped a few more callouts when adult content turned off.
• Adjusted volume levels better at start of Acid Burn.

#19117 6 years ago

Wow awesome list. I have to ask..... Before Christmas? Great job!

#19118 6 years ago

Ferret please do come over! nothing would please me more. I have so much positivity to send your way on this game, I freaking love it and I’d love to brag about playin aliens with ya! I got a guest room if your concerned about the distance, no worries.

I just checked mine again, I hear what you all are saying about the gun noises, but I have the most up to date version and in ambush multiball my game doesn’t use the gun sounds when I press extra ball to switch weapons. So I dunno.

Wow, what an update @ferret, talk about working hard. Cannot wait to try it out. Wanna come do a beta test on my machine? Lol

#19119 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Changes since 1.02:

Can you write up all the changes since code version 0.94?

KIDDING!!

Yeah, someday (probably around the March timeframe) I will finally get to experience all the great code updates Ferret and daudioguy have been working on over the past year.

#19120 6 years ago

Write in candidate for best post of the year 2017. Actually all of your posts plus those from daudioguy have been top notch. As mentioned, the game is already fantastic and I can see how each one of tweaks will add some more shine.

#19121 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Write in candidate for best post of the year 2017. Actually all of your posts plus those from daudioguy have been top notch. As mentioned, the game is already fantastic and I can see how each one of tweaks will add some more shine.

+1000!!!! makes my wait much more tolerable. While I enjoy working on these things, the more "complete" it is upon arrival, the happier I will be. The new code sounds sick!!!!!

#19122 6 years ago

So, I know I have been posting a lot, but please don’t let that detract from how incredible the game is. Anyways, I just got to the very end of loader battle but lost and had 7 missions started and 2 multiballs complete. So I wanted to post some photos of scores for everyone. Not the best, but I’m getting all the shots down more and more each time I play! Hoo rah!

FF575437-1B2E-44B1-93E1-9A75228977B3.jpegFF575437-1B2E-44B1-93E1-9A75228977B3.jpeg

7FEBFA32-9634-4638-A5D3-CCB403D62A27.jpeg7FEBFA32-9634-4638-A5D3-CCB403D62A27.jpeg

9005AED1-0ACB-412E-BF1E-5920737EC4E1.jpeg9005AED1-0ACB-412E-BF1E-5920737EC4E1.jpeg

FF5F6299-0D9C-4E52-B299-3155C263675C.jpegFF5F6299-0D9C-4E52-B299-3155C263675C.jpeg

C0044FD0-9551-43C7-A7C6-ED75CC283E65.jpegC0044FD0-9551-43C7-A7C6-ED75CC283E65.jpeg

D3D03900-9B9A-40A1-8674-D6A5F22FF6FB.jpegD3D03900-9B9A-40A1-8674-D6A5F22FF6FB.jpeg

#19123 6 years ago

Ferret and Daudioguy. The only 2 reasons im still holding on.

#19124 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

+1000!!!! makes my wait much more tolerable. While I enjoy working on these things, the more "complete" it is upon arrival, the happier I will be. The new code sounds sick!!!!!

Well by 2019 id say it will be pretty “complete”.... : too soon?: lol jk!

#19125 6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Even though he doesn’t post here as often, Brian (@bcd) has been working hard on this, so send love his way also.

#19126 6 years ago

Love for Ferret bcd @daudioguy!!!!
Dilly dilly!!!!

#19127 6 years ago

The a/v and theme integration on this game are incredible. I hope Heighway can pull through.

#19128 6 years ago

Well by 2019 id say it will be pretty “complete”.... : too soon?: lol jk!

Ouch!!!!....Im reaching for straws here.....

#19129 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ouch!!!!....Im reaching for straws here.....

I’m just over here practicing so you don’t put up a GC on my machine when you visit lol

#19130 6 years ago

Love for ferret bcd daudioguy!!!!
Dilly dilly!!!!

Dilly Dilly!

#19131 6 years ago

Ahhhh! I just logged in to ask why can't i stop saying "Dilly Dilly" today? haha

#19132 6 years ago

I was at Logan's on Sunday and got some time on a new build Alien.

It played VERY well. Only issue I noticed was that the RGB GI was doing the color changing/ flashing thing. It does in fact appear to be vibration based on this one and combined with some bleed over in the electronics that then cause the lights to rapidly cycle.

The RGB cycles between a bunch of colors rapidly with vibration (sling kick, flipper, etc) It does appear to be an electronic interferance issues also based on the symptom I see.

I think the root is a loose GI bulb(s) that are not seated properly in the socket on the light board. The problem is that the serial light chain seems to make it difficult to diagnose which bulb is loose.

Heighway team, can you please publish the chain of lights associated with each light string? This would help to then be able to figure out which set of bulbs to check over and reseat.

#19133 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was at Logan's on Sunday and got some time on a new build Alien.
It played VERY well. Only issue I noticed was that the RGB GI was doing the color changing/ flashing thing. It does in fact appear to be vibration based on this one and combined with some bleed over in the electronics that then cause the lights to rapidly cycle.
The RGB cycles between a bunch of colors rapidly with vibration (sling kick, flipper, etc) It does appear to be an electronic interferance issues also based on the symptom I see.
I think the root is a loose GI bulb(s) that are not seated properly in the socket on the light board. The problem is that the serial light chain seems to make it difficult to diagnose which bulb is loose.
Heighway team, can you please publish the chain of lights associated with each light string? This would help to then be able to figure out which set of bulbs to check over and reseat.

Well, I don’t know if my issue is the same, but I look forward to seeing the end result after pushing all the lights in.... I think it would be quicker to actually do every bulb before you are gonna get a schematic lol

#19134 6 years ago

Well, I don’t know if my issue is the same, but I look forward to seeing the end result after pushing all the lights in.... I think it would be quicker to actually do every bulb before you are gonna get a schematic lol

yeah, If I were you, I would first document which bulbs are flickering rapidly, then turn off the game and pull down the light/switch board (I think for this you could likely just drop the board slightly instead of full removal?), then check each bulb and make sure they are seated well.

Keep us posted if the symptoms change after that.

#19135 6 years ago

Hello gang,
I promised a review of the nib alien experience and so I am here to follow through. Here....we...go....

When I received the game from CT, it came a few hours later than expected but arrived on the day of expected delivery so no biggie, it was just like awaiting Christmas morning. I had my buddy Dan come by to help me with unpacking. The box arrived in good condition. As we took everything out of the box, we slowly took each piece upstairs. Being able to bring the head of the game, the legs, and then the glass in its magazine made it really nice to bring a game upstairs!

We took a look upclose at the playfield, the xeno mech and the rest of the ramps, scoops etc. The game is pretty stunning when you first see it. For some reason it appears larger than other games, even wide bodies. I kept telling Dan how much bigger everything looked than in all those videos I saw. The Xeno mech is beautiful and well done. The details really bring it to life. Back alley creations did a fantastic job on the eggs, and personally, I enjoy them even more than the Xeno (perhaps cause mine didn't end up working. =( The cabinet is really special. Seeing it in a home setting and turning the lights down is just a joy. It has this exoskeleton like feel and look. It is super well built and feels like it could withstand any type of punishment.

After we got it up there, setup was pretty straight forward. My game did not come with any "insert these fuses first or any other notes on a piece of paper," like some others have experienced. The game didn't have any goodie bag or manual included. My buddy Dan and I, looked over the entire game and checked for loose connections. We found a few loose screws, but nothing major. We did find that there was only 3 screws holding in my PF screen. We used a extended magnet stick and looked around the cabinet but we unable to find any screw with lock nut (as in in the game). Then we placed some vinyl cling around the pf screen and put some mylar in the appropriate places. Afterwords, we spent the next 5 minutes unscrewing all 10 freakin nuts and screws from the slingshots (be careful) I noticed the plastics are thick but really brittle. I tested out different slingshot protectors from Titan_Pinball and found that 1 and 1/4 inch protectors are the perfect size. I let Titan know, and they will be made available soon. The ramps on the PF, were absolutely disqusting. They had this sticky substance all over them, they had spots and other grime. I just don't know how else to describe it. Dan spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing and wiping down the ramps with a chemical degreaser and things to get them to a place where they were useable. Additionally they felt really rough and bumpy along the sides. We took some additional time with a cloth and scrubbed them down till it was back to normal.

We lifted the playfield and found that we needed to change over the game from EU power settings to US. (DONT FORGET THIS STEP). Then we connected the cord in the back of the head. The EL blades came preconnected now, so no need to worry about that. Last but not least, we attempted to find place to run subwoofer wires into the machine and decided on the back left grate that is under the PF. It fits 18 gauge audio wire perfect. We then alligator clipped it to the existing sub. Dan and I then took the original glass out of the magazine. It takes about 20 screws to do so, but the glass is held in really securely and it has tape included to reduce a chance of vibration during the bass in the game. Additionally, I noticed that they have included some blue pieces of felt to protect the glass from shattering against the screws during delivery. After we put that back on the game and took a look at what had arrived, we were amazed.

So it was almost time to turn this sucker on. We pushed it into place and went to find the balls and power cord. After cleaning the balls and placing them in the game, I took the power cord from Dan and realized.....IT WAS FOR EU... =( We didn't find an adaptor so I don't know if that was left out or if the wrong cord was placed in the box. So, after having a panic attack and feeling like I wouldn't even be able to turn on the machine even though we just spent nearly an hour setup and cleaning, we realized we could use a computer power cord, so I quickly disconnected my 1000 watt gaming PC and plugged it in.....The game turned on slowly, making some really weird noises as you will see in the video link below, it freaked me out. But finally, the game booted up and all seemed right with the world. The initial sounds and light show were incredible. We played our initial games and just fell in love with the shots, the immersive experience and the audio pumping through this sick sound system and external bass. After a few games....well we noticed some issues that began to appear...but I have spoke about those in previous posts, so I wont drone on about them again here.

All in all, it was an incredibly emotional experience for me. The extra wait to get the game, the late delivery nearly made me go crazy. Then it was followed by elation and excitement once I got to see the machine and the incredible playfield and cabinet. Suddenly a turn to panic as there was no power cord, followed by pure joy the moment that the game successfully booted and played its first game. All in all, this experience hasn't been anywhere near the same as when I have done other unboxings.

Time will tell what the final outcome will be. Currently, I rate the gameplay a 9.5, the sound a 10, the shots and layout a 9 ( I CANNOT HIT VENT 2 for the life of me), theme integration a 10, Cabinet 9, reliability a 5 and customer support.....well that is yet to be determined. So far, Ferret bcd and daudioguy have been the saving grace for this company. How Helmut handles my inquiries into a warranty and replacement of the xeno mech and EL inverter will really make my mind up about the future of my purchases with this company and ultimately whether or not I get to keep this otherwise fantastic game.

Last surviving crew member of the Nostromo Signing off,
-Vivid

#19136 6 years ago

Don't sign off yet. You forgot the link.

#19137 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Heighway team, can you please publish the chain of lights associated with each light string?

This information is available in the operator test mode, albeit subtly. If you go into Tests > Single Lamp, the display will show something like "1-A1 GI Left Orbit Top". The "1-A" part is what you're looking for: that's IOBoard #1, string A. If you step through the lamps in this test, at some point you'll see it bump to "1-B", then "2-A", etc.

I CANNOT HIT VENT 2 for the life of me

There are (at least) two ways to hit Vent 2. The obvious way is from the kickout from the Vent 1/Mother saucer, using the UL flipper. The less obvious way is a ricochet off the backside of the UR flipper or off the post at the tip of the UR flipper. So perhaps if you're trying the direct shot from the UL flipper and it's not working for you, try the ricochet instead and see if that's any easier for ya.

#19138 6 years ago

Finally reached All Out War tonight! Everything went white and flashing like crazy. Don't remember much video though.
I kind of liked the two mini wizard modes better. I didn't last long in AOW because everything stayed so it seem like there was any point to go further, another words it kind of just felt like a victory lap.

Hey Ferret, is there going to be any more programming/video for the final wizard mode? Just curious

Machine is spectacular even with some minor flaws. Heighway and all a part of it should be really proud of this design.
This type of immersion is the future of pinball and a whole another level compared to what Stern has been pumping out.
Now I can add some beacons and do some powder coating to spice this machine up a little!

#19139 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Finally reached All Out War tonight! Everything went white and flashing like crazy. Don't remember much video though.
I kind of liked the two mini wizard modes better. I didn't last long in AOW because everything stayed so it seem like there was any point to go further, another words it kind of just felt like a victory lap.
Hey Ferret, is there going to be any more programming/video for the final wizard mode? Just curious
Machine is spectacular even with some minor flaws. Heighway and all a part of it should be really proud of this design.
This type of immersion is the future of pinball and a whole another level compared to what Stern has been pumping out.
Now I can add some beacons and do some powder coating to spice this machine up a little!

At least it wasn't as bad as GoT Iron Throne. Beating that is less satisfying than hitting a random switch.

#19140 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Finally reached All Out War tonight!

Congrats! That's not easy to do.

Quoted from kklank:

Hey Ferret, is there going to be any more programming/video for the final wizard mode?

The upcoming 1.1 release adds instructions (crazy concept, that) and some rules tweaks. I hope that future code updates improve it further.

#19141 6 years ago

There have been an incredible amount of problems for the team and new owners / management to fix, so I understand some things are bound to slip through. But VividPsychosis seems to suggest that machines are still being shipped with no adequate pf screen retention, acrylic plastics, and lack of factory mylar.

These omissions are just going to create headaches for them and their customers.

The pf screen, even if they don't design a better retention system, what are the cost of a few lock nuts? What is the cost of cutting and applying a little mylar? Pennies, and probably 5 minutes extra time to apply the mylar during assembly.

Presumably they are trying to exhaust old stock before moving to PETG plastics. But given the low unit cost and likely breakages, it seems a questionable thing to do.

Latter I assume is a decision by management ... but the former, it's difficult to imagine that being a conscious ongoing instruction. Production clearly still needs much better oversight at the site itself.

#19142 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There have been an incredible amount of problems for the team and new owners / management to fix, so I understand some things are bound to slip through. But vividpsychosis seems to suggest that machines are still being shipped with no adequate pf screen retention, acrylic plastics, and lack of factory mylar.
These omissions are just going to create headaches for them and their customers.
The pf screen, even if they don't design a better retention system, what are the cost of a few lock nuts? What is the cost of cutting and applying a little mylar? Pennies, and probably 5 minutes extra time to apply the mylar during assembly.
Presumably they are trying to exhaust old stock before moving to PETG plastics. But given the low unit cost and likely breakages, it seems a questionable thing to do.
Latter I assume is a decision by management ... but the former, it's difficult to imagine that being a conscious ongoing instruction. Production clearly still needs much better oversight at the site itself.

I am under the impresion that the current/next batch is going out with mylar in needed places. (per what Helmut has told me)

Sounds like vivid has a screw fall out from his screen retention in shipping and go MIA. The screen on Full T never had any issues and after proper leveling the screen on our Alien has been fine also.

I think the plastics are what they are? Would be great to see PETG but I would assume they will be acrylic for a while.

#19143 6 years ago

I wouldn't be too worried about the plastics. I've had an early (pre?) production machine since March, and I haven't broken or chipped any. On the other hand, those facehuggers may not hold up in the long run...

IMG_3778 (resized).JPGIMG_3778 (resized).JPG

IMG_3780 (resized).JPGIMG_3780 (resized).JPG

#19144 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I wouldn't be too worried about the plastics. I've had an early (pre?) production machine since March, and I haven't broken or chipped any. On the other hand, those facehuggers may not hold up in the long run...

Oh no. This is terrible!!

#19145 6 years ago

On my machine the facehuggers are very flexible, doesn't appear to be stiff in any regard. I would doubt that my tails would break off. I feel much more sure I will break a plastic before a facehugger. Either way, right now I just want Helmut to contact CT to discuss my machine and perhaps we can Skype or w.e.

#19146 6 years ago

On my machine the facehuggers are very flexible, doesn't appear to be stiff in any regard. I would doubt that my tails would break off. I feel much more sure I will break a plastic before a facehugger. Either way, right now I just want Helmut to contact CT to discuss my machine and perhaps we can Skype or w.e.

Joe from Laserrific has contacted me a while back about making plastic protectors. I just have to take them off and scan them to him, he'll then mass produce. Coming soon.

#19147 6 years ago

The ramps on the PF, were absolutely disqusting. They had this sticky substance all over them, they had spots and other grime. I just don't know how else to describe it. Dan spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing and wiping down the ramps with a chemical degreaser and things to get them to a place where they were useable. Additionally they felt really rough and bumpy along the sides. We took some additional time with a cloth and scrubbed them down till it was back to normal.

So that crazy guy was RIGHT??

#19148 6 years ago

It's hard to describe. The ramps are a matte finish, but it's like they're not "finished". Mottled and weird rough spots, but only noticeable on close inspection. Not to mention it seems like they didn't get degreased after going through the press. They only other thing I remember is an adjustment needed on the right flipper button's switch. Definitely needs a little love out of the box but man was it fun to play! Overall I think buyers will be happy with their purchase as long as they're patient which most of y'all have already proven in spades. I also know a tech who can help with setup if you live anywhere close to Central VA

#19149 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

On the other hand, those facehuggers may not hold up in the long run...

I wonder if they need to be replaced with a hard plastic version instead of soft bendy. Like a plastic spider.

#19150 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if they need to be replaced with a hard plastic version instead of soft bendy. Like a plastic spider.

Or some kind of material with wire substructure...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,999 (OBO)
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 383 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/383 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.