• 24,652 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 minutes ago by adamross
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,840 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24652 posts in this topic. You are on page 236 of 494.
#11751 2 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

OK, if one were to order an Alien today -3/8/2017, from Heighway's US distributor, when is a realistic date to expect this to be in their game room?

I'm a bit curious about this too... I'd only be ordering a standard if that makes a difference.

#11752 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Really looking forward to seeing how the airlock LCD screen is further implemented. Seems like it's almost at alpha code right now with that small timer in the upper left corner. Lots of potential there though. Seems like it would be best utilized to display critical priority info, timers, etc. Care to share any ideas on using it?

What Aurich said. Yes, it's fair to say that the Airlock LCD code is very immature right now. Definitely will add weapon info there, since otherwise it's nigh impossible to strategically choose your weapon in the middle of a mode/multiball. And Kelly has already provided me with a bunch more assets for it that I haven't hooked up yet.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also had a question about the modes like Find Jonesy, where the orange insert is moving around & your bonus value get penalized for hit hitting blue shots. From watching the videos, sometimes its hard to find exactly where that orange insert is, but maybe it's easier in person. I'm aware you're still working on the coding of lighting effects.
Also if you keep hitting blue shots (not intentionally), is there any other shot to get those penalty points back? I'm guessing you keep hitting the orange shots to rank up value, perhaps extending the timer, then hit the airlock scoop to finish mode & collect reward? It's probably similar to Acid Burn as well correct?

No, you're right, it's a little too hard to find the "hiding" lights in Find Jonesy. I think the biggest problem is that if combos are active, the combo arrows provide too much visual clutter, so I'll probably squelch those while FJ is running.

You can regain some of your penalty points by hitting the Recharge target, but if you hit too many errant shots, the mode just won't be worth as much. Find Jonesy is all about patience and accurate shooting. If you have those things, you can clean up FJ in 3 shots and 8-9M, which is very strong points/shot. Acid Burn wants accuracy too of course, but it's more about speed.

#11753 2 years ago

Q: How tall is the Alien Pinball machine and how much height is added with the topper-beacons ?

#11754 2 years ago

I just got my place in line for a standard!

#11755 2 years ago

Seems legit.

IMG_2978 (resized).PNG

#11756 2 years ago

Martin Ayub, of Pinball News fame, visited our factory today. Our media producer, Russell Speak, asked Martin for his impressions of our new game, Alien Pinball

#11757 2 years ago

Still wondering how many have shipped? Also other pinsiders question about if I order tomorrow what is the wait time? The few that have gone out are these beta test versions or completed versions as it seems that the production of these pins is really slow given the huge pent up demand. I want to order so badly but have heard some many horror stories about failed start up/development pins.

#11758 2 years ago

Thanks for answering guys. I love the fact each mode was designed with a variety of specific gameplay strategies. That should really help to keep them interesting over time.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but what is the intended purpose of the 5 crosshair standup targets/inserts? Is that how you collect weapons?

#11759 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Q: How tall is the Alien Pinball machine and how much height is added with the topper-beacons ?

search heighwaypinball posts. they gave that info early on I think (2100mm?)

#11760 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thanks for answering guys. I love the fact each mode was designed with a variety of specific gameplay strategies. That should really help to keep them interesting over time.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but what is the intended purpose of the 5 crosshair standup targets/inserts? Is that how you collect weapons?

Yes those are the weapon targets.

#11761 2 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

Still wondering how many have shipped? Also other pinsiders question about if I order tomorrow what is the wait time? The few that have gone out are these beta test versions or completed versions as it seems that the production of these pins is really slow given the huge pent up demand. I want to order so badly but have heard some many horror stories about failed start up/development pins.

If you've been following this thread at all you would know why they shouldn't give any timeline of when your particular pin should ship. Also, if he's got enough time to tell everyone when each pin walks out the door then he needs to get off the forum and back to work, just saying.

#11762 2 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

If you've been following this thread at all you would know why they shouldn't give any timeline of when your particular pin should ship. Also, if he's got enough time to tell everyone when each pin walks out the door then he needs to get off the forum and back to work, just saying.

Well what you said makes absolutely no sense. One would think given that it has been more than a 100 years since the advent of the industrial revolution that mass production of items have some type of assembly schedule. I am not asking to know when every pin walks out the door just when production is going to ramp up....just saying.

#11763 2 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

Also, if he's got enough time to tell everyone when each pin walks out the door then he needs to get off the forum and back to work, just saying.

Seems like a legit question that's been asked several times without an answer. If they were flying out of the factory and people were receiving them and posting about it then it wouldn't be a question. The first two went out with fanfare and then....nothing. A little odd to be honest.

#11764 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Seems like a legit question that's been asked several times without an answer. If they were flying out of the factory and people were receiving them and posting about it then it wouldn't be a question. The first two went out with fanfare and then....nothing. A little odd to be honest.

My point exactly.

#11765 2 years ago

Well what you said makes absolutely no sense. One would think given that it has been more than a 100 years since the advent of the industrial revolution that mass production of items have some type of assembly schedule. I am not asking to know when every pin walks out the door just when production is going to ramp up....just saying.

Asking when production is going to ramp up is different than how many have shipped.

#11766 2 years ago

The main determining factor depends on when orders were placed and when deposits/payments were received. Some standards will be shipped first, and the LEs will come later on. Again, it's always best to email questions directly to Andrew or the Heighway sales staff, or cointaker.

I'm paid in full & just patiently waiting for my LE. Until then I'm just happy watching the videos, interacting with the Heighway staff & hearing from people who have played the game firsthand. Won't be much longer until they're in full swing.

#11767 2 years ago

This is not another JFlop of SkidB pinball fiasco. The games are coming; we saw two of them get out the door. Great things take time.

And yes, I want to order one too. Spoke to CT for a good 15-20 minutes asking every question I could think of. I have made peace with the very real fact I am not ordering this game until end of August at a minimum. Middle of the pack is far greater a place to be than out in front where the bumps and learning lessons are.

#11768 2 years ago

I just really looked into this game. It looks pretty fantastic and the price is right! I may just have to pick one up at some point in the future. Great job Heighway!

#11769 2 years ago

I wonder if the boards arrived from china and everything is good now?

#11770 2 years ago

Quoted from Deadpin:

As Dano said, if you've been following this thread at all, you'd know why they shouldn't be giving out completion dates. Heighway has flagrantly missed every single deadline they have ever given out. Hell, they can't even release gameplay videos or Q&A with the designer videos when they say they're going to. So at this point, why continue to ask? You are right that it's a fair question, and one we all should expect to get SOMEWHAT accurate answers to, but it just doesn't happen. If we push hard enough, Andrew will give some answer, and then it will be wrong. What good did that do anybody?

I'm 100% in on Alien and Full Throttle, but I've given up needing to know when I'm going to get them. I'll just wait until this Summer (or at this rate, maybe even Fall) and pick them up. I've had to come to grips with the fact that Andrew seems like a great guy with no bad intentions. And thus far they're 2-for-2 on kick ass games. But there are a TON of things outside of designing cool games that Heighway still REALLY SUCKS at. Accurate communication is one of them.

To me, the no-brainer course of action is to determine I want the games, get comfortable with not trying to own them until mid-to-late this year (since I'm intending to buy Alien and FT together), and ignore everything else about Heighway because most of it can be more frustrating that I need.

#11771 2 years ago

I think you give a big disservice to heighway with that last comment. Andrew does not suck at communication. If anything Heighway is a company that excels at communication in this crazy industry. We've seen more videos and news from their factories at every step of the way over the past 4 years. They have missed every date that they given out, that's true, but it hasn't been for lack of trying or deception. So believe in their product, its real, it exists, its getting better and better, but just take dates given for completion/delivery/approvals as a guess-timate.

Quoted from Cheeks:

As Dano said, if you've been following this thread at all, you'd know why they shouldn't be giving out completion dates. Heighway has flagrantly missed every single deadline they have ever given out. Hell, they can't even release gameplay videos or Q&A with the designer videos when they say they're going to. So at this point, why continue to ask? You are right that it's a fair question, and one we all should expect to get SOMEWHAT accurate answers to, but it just doesn't happen. If we push hard enough, Andrew will give some answer, and then it will be wrong. What good did that do anybody?
I'm 100% in on Alien and Full Throttle, but I've given up needing to know when I'm going to get them. I'll just wait until this Summer (or at this rate, maybe even Fall) and pick them up. I've had to come to grips with the fact that Andrew seems like a great guy with no bad intentions. And thus far they're 2-for-2 on kick ass games. But there are a TON of things outside of designing cool games that Heighway still REALLY SUCKS at. Communication is one of them.
To me, the no-brainer course of action is to determine I want the games, get comfortable with not trying to own them until mid-to-late this year (since I'm intending to buy Alien and FT together), and ignore everything else about Heighway because most of it can be more frustrating that I need.

#11772 2 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

I wonder if the boards arrived from china and everything is good now?

Yes, to both points. They arrived last night and my guys worked till late last night to get boards assembled and onto games. This work will continue all weekend, as we push to ship 6 games out on Sunday

#11773 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Yes, to both points. They arrived last night and my guys worked till late last night to get boards assembled and onto games. This work will continue all weekend, as we push to ship 6 games out on Sunday

awesome news!

Really looking forward to installing the production boards as soon as they arrive in Madison!

If you have a spare (evnn old beat up one) xeno head you can send along, I would love to make a sweet trophy out of it for the launch party on April 1st!

#11774 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Now that's an answer that speaks to the question - and I think that's what most people were looking for.
They haven't shipped any more than the 1st 2, but they have the prod boards and hope to ship 6 more on Sunday.
Not exactly an assembly line, but at least some progress and transparency.

Thank you for speaking to the issue.

#11775 2 years ago

I've followed this thread since the beginning, and realize that there have been repeated missed deadlines, etc. and that everyone's enthusiasm is raised from the positive response on the shipped games. I'm as excited as anyone to order one of these. But also, maybe not the worst idea to remember that internet forum time is different than actual real world production time? Sitting on here hanging on every post, it *feels* like it's been forever since the two games have shipped. I know it feels like 3 months since those two games shipped - but in reality, it's been what, 3 weeks between the two of them? The video posted within the last two days shows 6 or 7 games in the background being worked on.

Things are in motion, we've all made it this far - just thinking that maybe some perspective on internet forum time vs. production time might help us get through this last stretch...especially when dealing with part manufacturers, last minute changes like removing the coffee can, etc.

#11776 2 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I know if feels like 3 months since those two games shipped - but in reality, it's been what, 3 weeks between the two of them?

Madison Pinball game arrived 11 days ago. It has been out for public play for only 8 days.

You are correct that internet time can feel much different than real world.

#11777 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm 100% in on Alien and Full Throttle, but I've given up needing to know when I'm going to get them. I'll just wait until this Summer (or at this rate, maybe even Fall) and pick them up. I've had to come to grips with the fact that Andrew seems like a great guy with no bad intentions. And thus far they're 2-for-2 on kick ass games. But there are a TON of things outside of designing cool games that Heighway still REALLY SUCKS at. Accurate communication is one of them.

I suppose it depends on how you define communication, but point taken. I edited my post to say "accurate" communication, which is what they obviously struggle with. The frequency and willingness of Andrew's communication on Pinside is not in question. The fact you can't trust much that is said, is another issue. To me, this falls under the umbrella of shitty communication, but whatever. I like Andrew, I believe his heart is in the right place, and I don't feel he's being purposely dishonest with his inaccurate promises.

#11778 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The fact you can't trust much that is said

I think "timing" is the important part you are missing.

Seems to me that everything shows Andrew is VERY trustworthy. He also seems to be getting much better on predicting timing on not over promising

#11779 2 years ago

We've gone from "when will the games start to ship" to "why aren't they shipping faaaasterrrr?!?"

Chill (resized).jpg

#11780 2 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

I'm as excited as anyone to order one of these. But also, maybe not the worst idea to remember that internet forum time is different than actual real world production time? Sitting on here hanging on every post, it *feels* like it's been forever since the two games have shipped.

Haha, man, you're so right. Forums are dangerous that way, a couple days worth of posts can suddenly make things feel like forever. Also, Andrew hasn't mentioned that game #3 has already shipped to Europe, just not to a Pinsider, so you're not likely to hear anything about it here.

#11781 2 years ago

Has any Alien machine been fitted and tested with these 'production' boards before?
I think it is very optimistic to say the boards have arrived, being fitted to have 6 completed machines out by Sunday if not. We have only heard of hand produced boards being made on the 2 we know have gone out.
Not trying to jinx it, or be negative, but that is a very bold and confident statement. Hope all goes well guys.. Fingers crossed that they are all working and as fully functional as everyone hopes. And congrats to those 6 who are going to receive them.

#11782 2 years ago

Is #3 an oursler layout?

#11783 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryno:

Has any Alien machine been fitted and tested with these 'production' boards before?
I think it is very optimistic to say the boards have arrived, being fitted to have 6 completed machines out by Sunday if not. We have only heard of hand produced boards being made on the 2 we know have gone out.
Not trying to jinx it, or be negative, but that is a very bold and confident statement. Hope all goes well guys.. Fingers crossed that they are all working and as fully functional as everyone hopes. And congrats to those 6 who are going to receive them.

boards from factory and boards that are 'production' are the same for all intents and purposes of design and fit from what I gather.

'produciton' boards are same design and fit, just the pro shop doing all the component drops and soldering as I understand it. This is not a dramatic change. The first 2 went out with the factory assembled boards in order to get them out the door to us select few locations.

The produciton board delay was due to china new year celebration (same issues homepin and colorDMD encountered with delays)

#11784 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The most accurate post of the day.

#11786 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Is #3 an oursler layout?

Yes

#11788 2 years ago

Just sent the deposit for a SE thanks to Andrew being a great communicator! He saw me post here in this thread that I was curious when an SE could be expected to ship if you ordered right now. *HE* messaged me. Then a little back and fourth went on. And now I ordered.

"That was easy!"

#11789 2 years ago

I believe that this was just published online:

#11790 2 years ago

Nice video, pretty neat how much they are trying to manufacture in house

#11791 2 years ago

That video did it for me. I just bought an SE with glo-blades for the sides of the PF, 27" monitor, and beacon lights. Paid in full.

It's time to visit LV-426.

#11792 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I believe that this was just published online:
» YouTube video

Did I see a BOP 2.0 in the factory? About 8m29s

#11793 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Did I see a BOP 2.0 in the factory? About 8m29s

Saw a fire and a space shuttle also. Love seeing other games. Shows they are actual pinheads.

#11794 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Saw a fire and a space shuttle also. Love seeing other games. Shows they are actual pinheads.

Missed those. No question there is a lot of passion for pinball at Heighway.

Great vid. Nice to see plenty of action on the line. Things are picking up nicely in the last couple of weeks.

#11795 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Missed those. No question there is a lot of passion for pinball at Heighway.
Great vid. Nice to see plenty of action on the line. Things are picking up nicely in the last couple of weeks.

They were folded up on shelves near the ceiling.

I highly recommend that if you are on the fence to getting Alien, you do it before Texas Pinball. There will be 3 of them to play at TPF, and I highly suspect once that weekend is over, the orders will come flooding in.

#11796 2 years ago

Great video. Really impressed with all the capabilities of the factory and all the machinery! I'm kind of curious what the special offer will be to Alien buyers for the FT kit. Something tells me I might be saving up for 2 Heighway machines!

#11797 2 years ago

Was hoping to see the LE art in the backround hiding somewhere

#11798 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That video did it for me. I just bought an SE with glo-blades for the sides of the PF, 27" monitor, and beacon lights. Paid in full.
It's time to visit LV-426.

Nice! Why didnt you get an LE if your paying for those extras?

#11799 2 years ago

Great video on the factory production process. I am sure I will be ordering one after I play it at the pinball show in Edmonton. Congratulations to Heighway!

#11800 2 years ago

Man, that is a lot of overhead and will require skilled employees to run that stuff. I just hope they have a savvy accounting and financial management team.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
There are 24652 posts in this topic. You are on page 236 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside