• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 494.
#11601 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, if you buy a Heighway machine, and in particular the standard Alien, we will be able to swap out playfields and back boxes on future titles? The standard model comes with the 27" display?

My understanding is that you can swap out playfields and art. (Some extra computer upgrades need to be done for Full Throttle to get Alien)
Here is a the swap video

The back box LCD is something like a $550 addition and can be put in the standard model.

#11602 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

My understanding is that you can swap out playfields and art.

That's it. Pretty easy too.

Side note, Back boxes come off on their games with 2(?) connectors. Makes moving easier. I think you could actually play the game without a backbox

#11603 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's it. Pretty easy too.
Side note, Back boxes come off on their games with 2(?) connectors. Makes moving easier. I think you could actually play the game without a backbox

Do you have the backbox screen on your Full Throttle? If not are you getting Alien with or without backbox screen?

Just curious from someone who's currently a Heighway owner and saying you could play the pin without the backbox just wondering what you have chose, thanks.

#11604 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

550 seems like a lot for a 27 in HD TV. Bought a 55in Samsung for 650. Still worth it though and will definitely add to the awesome atmosphere of the game

Does anyone know what kind of 27" LCD Heighway installs? If it's a commercial grade wells Gardner or similar monitor it probably runs close to $500. If it's consumer level it's probably closer to $200. Has anyone de-cased and installed their own display in a FT to save some cash?- although you'd have to get a bezel as well. Probably not worth the hassel!

#11605 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

It would be interesting if you could add a TV tuner to the LCD then be able to use it as a TV in the game when the game wasn't being played.

If the backbox display is a mirror of the playfield display, then I would absolutely want a setup where the backbox display would be able to play tv/movies.

My development cabinets have had a 32" LCD in the backbox and I love watching movies while tinkering with pinball.

Assuming it is an HDMI display, it would only take a HDMI switcher. Andrew. Do. This!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

IMG_1678 (resized).JPG

#11606 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Does anyone know what kind of 27" LCD Heighway installs? If it's a commercial grade wells Gardner or similar monitor it probably runs close to $500. If it's consumer level it's probably closer to $200. Has anyone de-cased and installed their own display in a FT to save some cash?- although you'd have to get a bezel as well. Probably not worth the hassel!

It's a commercial grade LCD.
This question has been bought up a number of times.

#11607 2 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

My understanding is that you can swap out playfields and art. (Some extra computer upgrades need to be done for Full Throttle to get Alien)
Here is a the swap video » YouTube video
The back box LCD is something like a $550 addition and can be put in the standard model.

I thought this was specific to the Multimorphic brand but this takes Heighway to a whole nother level.

#11608 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

99% sure I remember reading a post from Andrew that it's a commercial quality monitor.

#11609 2 years ago

Commercial grade

#11610 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You don't play multi-player games?

In the 5 years I have been in this hobby, I have had 2 instances where "pinball people" came over to play. Both times were either a NIB unboxing or picking up a game and had some time to kill.

Any other time, it has been just me and some non-pinball people who are paying attention to what I am doing and why, as I explain the game to them, ala Bowen Kerins, but no where near as good as him.

That being said though...

Quoted from MikeS:

And $550 is only $150 more than a ColorDMD. Seems like a bargain considering it's a 27" full HD display!

Ooooooooooooooooo. That is making me re-think my stance....!

#11611 2 years ago

What's the brand then since you guys are so certain? Was that ever divulged?

#11612 2 years ago

The LCD monitor that Heighway uses is commerical grade according to the Pinball News Full Thorttle review.

The picture below shows that the monitor being used isn't a thin consumer grade LCD.

"The monitor is a commercial-grade one, with a metal case and mounting brackets top and bottom. It has to be said that the image quality is great on the monitor, with good black levels which is an important feature when the design of the graphics contains large areas of black."

206a (resized).jpg

#11613 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

It would be interesting if you could add a TV tuner to the LCD then be able to use it as a TV in the game when the game wasn't being played.

If it has an HDMI input available, then a Kodi modded Firestick would be a must.

#11614 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

If it has an HDMI input available, then a Kodi modded Firestick would be a must.

It runs from either a VGA or DVI cable.

There are plenty of HDMI adaptors available

#11615 2 years ago

Anyone know what time the Dead Flip stream of Alien is today?

#11616 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyone know what time the Dead Flip stream of Alien is today?

6 , maybe 7 CST , according to Deadflip post

#11617 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Or while it was being played.

Play Alien and watch the football game on your pin!

#11618 2 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

550 seems like a lot for a 27 in HD TV. Bought a 55in Samsung for 650. Still worth it though and will definitely add to the awesome atmosphere of the game

they cant give stuff away. they are making pinballs. i hope they make plenty of money to put out great pins and stay in business. most markups are 33 % - 50 % in an item like this anyway.

#11619 2 years ago

It's hard to try and nickel and dime Heighway pinball because they are putting out awesome full-featured widebody pins with game-swapping ability.

We need them to not only survive, but thrive; in order to gain the most value out of their existence. Get off the fence and order!

#11620 2 years ago

It is not only the monitor that you pay for, also the system to hang it inside the backbox, connections to the CPU (they have to use a system with three outputs instead of two), extra time to install it in the backbox etc. You cannot just buy a 150 dollar screen and then it is magically installed inside the cabinet. It is all work that has to be done.

#11621 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Reagrding the monitor: the price seems high but keep in mind that it has to withstand a lot of moving and vibration from the machine itself. What makes you think that the monitor in the picture is consumer grade ?? I have had plenty of monitors from a whole range of brands, but I never saw such a sturdy metal casing around it.
That said: it is not only the monitor that you pay for, also the system to hang it inside the backbox, connections to the CPU (they have to use a system with three outputs instead of two), extra time to install it in the backbox etc. You cannot just buy a 150 dollar screen and then it is magically installed inside the cabinet. It is all work that has to be done.

I think they said they make their own metal bracket for it. So that doesn't tell anybody anything about the brand of the monitor.

I'm sure it's a decent monitor and frankly they deserve to build in some profit on their product but I find it amusing that so many people over here parrot this "it's commercial grade!" when they have NO idea. Even that "review" didn't know the manufacturer and Andrew has never apparently divulged it.

Once again I'm sure it's more than adequate... just pointing out the typical internet "present something as fact repeatedly" when people obviously don't know for sure.

Like I told the other joker over here trying to besmirch Andrew's name by claiming his "friends" couldn't get a refund... prove it when you state a so-called fact

#11622 2 years ago

Curious if anyone knows, if you buy the standard without backbox lcd, can the lcd screen later be added as an upgrade?

#11623 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

does Cointaker charge sales tax for out of state orders?

I Don't think so. contact melissa.

#11624 2 years ago

It would be pretty cool to be able to watch the an actual Alien's movie while playing Alien pinball. Home setting or not, it would give everyone else waiting to play something awesome to watch!

#11625 2 years ago

Call me crazy, but I just want my pinball machine to be a pinball machine, not a home theater.

#11626 2 years ago

I would still give Dennis credit as one of the designers since the general layout was used and adjusted. The before and after layouts show normal functional adjustments between schematic design and final design. A good designer is going to find the problems with the original schematic design when the whitewood is built and used for flipping and then make adjustments. If you go back and look at WOZ you will see very similar if not more changes from beginning to end.

Was Dennis there for the first whitewood flipping and adjustments? Similarly, I certainly suspect people will consider JFlop one of the designers for Houdini if he did give American Pinball and Balcer a starting point layout for that game.

#11627 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would still give Dennis credit as one of the designers since the general layout was used and adjusted. The before and after layouts show normal functional adjustments between schematic design and final design. A good designer is going to find the problems with the original schematic design when the whitewood is built and used for flipping and then make adjustments. If you go back and look at WOZ you will see very similar if not more changes from beginning to end.

This is fair. I wouldn't detract anything Dennis provided me with to build upon.

#11628 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

they cant give stuff away. they are making pinballs. i hope they make plenty of money to put out great pins and stay in business. most markups are 33 % - 50 % in an item like this anyway.

I completely agree. I probably should have added that I understand the price because there is a lot more involved than just adding a TV in. Coding brackets and they obviously need to make a profit to stay in business. I was just mostly referring to the post that said 550 was cheap for a 27 in LCD monitor. In the grand scheme of things it seems like it is worth it considering the totally sweet atmosphere of the game and the bigger screen will only make it that much better.

#11629 2 years ago

I had a question for David if he wants to chime in... I noticed right when Ambush multiball starts, it plays the pulsing sounds of the motion tracker (which IMO is one of the most iconic sci-fi sounds ever created). But as the mode goes on, the motion tracker sound stops, yet the tracker is still pulsing & dots are moving on the screen.

Seems like this mode would be even more intense with that motion tracker sound slowly escalating as the aliens get closer. Is there too much to process during this mode to make that happen, or is it something you plan on adding later on after you get your hands on a game? The more motion tracker sounds, the better

I'm really just blown away with what you've accomplished so far

#11631 2 years ago

Is Pezpunk getting one of these?

pez (resized).jpg

#11632 2 years ago

i'm sure this has been posted. if not...enjoy.

#11633 2 years ago

I am considering getting a Full Throttle cabinet and the Alien drop in table as well but was wondering if anyone knew if there were any significant advancements worth looking at with the Alien system being shipped? Have there been cabinet/base control changes? Are any of the electronics from original cabinet used for the Alien table or does it essentially swap everything? My local has a good deal on Full throttle with a 27 inch monitor and that game looks pretty slick as well. I want to invest in getting all their table on the same cabinet for space reasons.

#11634 2 years ago

1) Any plans for Heighway to release a digital version of their pinball machines? Possible partnership with Pinball FX2?

2) New boards still expected tomorrow? Anxiously awaiting more games to be shipped.

#11635 2 years ago

For those of you not following other threads , i am linking some important comments and information from Andrew and David Thiel.

Hopefully this avoids people asking the same question here when those threads become inactive (if ever).

Andrew responding to Xeno head and pop bumper questions:

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

The xeno is a shadow of what it will eventually become.
Most of the improvements will be software-related. We will be co-ordinating audio and video to how and when she reacts. We also have plans to integrate real flashers here for the xeno as well.
As for the pop bumpers - we are working on this and will look to improve this part of the game too

David Thiel, responding to audio concerns:

Quoted from daudioguy:

I take into account the "acoustic war zone" that pinball games go into. First the sound from the speakers is trying not to be masked from the sounds made by anything driven by a coil (flipper, pop, sling, eject). Second the ambient sound is usually high and only the aggressive sounds survive.
It is too soon to evaluate the Alien SFX set as I have not refined it by testing the sound suite while flipping it. What is there now is my best first guess (which after 30 years is decent).
Soon I will have an Alien pin to flip and I will refine the existing sound package so that everything 'works'.
Let me assure you that very few of the event sounds in Alien were just cut out of the movie and installed. I augment them to be pinball worthy, adding sound elements to increase their presence. With Alien I am constrained to stay 'in character' for the most part as it is a very strong and appealing metaphor. When given a choice I have erred on the side of staying with the metaphor as my first pass.
After I have evaluated the sound package by flipping and tweaking I will revisit all these decisions to make the audio package as communicative and rewarding as possible.
ddt

#11636 2 years ago

Maybe this is what part of what David and some others are trying to say, but I'm still a bit confused. I've watched the 11 minute Heighway video and some of the Dead Flip video, and so far from the videos I've watched the bottom pop bumper never seems either lit and/or not nearly as bright as the other pop bumpers. Am I missing something? Is it like Twilight Zone, and the pop bumpers can be all lit or lit one at a time??

#11637 2 years ago
Quoted from CheapTrick33:

Maybe this is what part of what David and some others are trying to say, but I'm still a bit confused. I've watched the 11 minute Heighway video and some of the Dead Flip video, and so far from the videos I've watched the bottom pop bumper never seems either lit and/or not nearly as bright as the other pop bumpers. Am I missing something? Is it like Twilight Zone, and the pop bumpers can be all lit or lit one at a time??

The game featured in the Deadflip video has pre-production light boards that are hand soldered and several of the LED's have issues because of this (cold solder joints). Production boards are being shipped for this game and it shouldn't be an issue in the future since all games going forward have production boards. The bottom pop bumper light worked when they first got the game but has since flaked out due to the pre-production board issue which should be resolved when the new boards arrive.

#11638 2 years ago

OK. That makes a lot of sense. Glad that it is a very correctable situation.

#11639 2 years ago

My wife is actually more stoked than me about my recent Alien purchase..she picked this up for me to get things started..

key1 (resized).jpg

key2 (resized).jpg

#11640 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Seems like this mode would be even more intense with that motion tracker sound slowly escalating as the aliens get closer.

We have installed in the build about 25 callouts from Hudson (as he was the tech marine handling the tracker) calling out distances as the Xenos get closer. Joe (ferret) will get these in there but this kind of callout choreography is time intensive and we have had bigger fish to fry. There is a long list of "refinements" that we will be getting to soon as we are very close to feature complete. Phew.

Hudson calling out distance will make the mode considerably more intense.

Again, as I flip the game a lot of things are going to get more intense.

ddt

#11641 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Again, as I flip the game a lot of things are going to get more intense.

excited for you to flip the game and be able to tweak from there!

I can only imagine where it will go once you get your hands on it!

#11642 2 years ago

Yeah, I just want to remind everyone that the US team, who is handling the programming, the lighting, the animation, the sound, all the stuff that's updatable with a USB stick, we don't have games yet. Joe's proto doesn't even have a Xeno mech, or final ramps.

Not whining, to be clear, the opposite, I'm saying that what you see now is the results of our 'remote' efforts, and once the games are in hand and David can hear it in person, Joe can really understand the timing of the Xeno tongue with relation to events, etc etc you're going to see all of that stuff get polished up. Choreography and the like takes in-person experience to get right.

Doesn't mean I'm trying to shut up complaints. By all means keep the feedback coming, we're taking notes. Just saying that you should feel assured that this is only the baseline and there's a stack of refinements to come that will make it even better.

In the meantime there's a complete game, no useless inserts, no rules on the screen that don't work, it's not like Heighway is shipping something broken or anything. Just part of that modern pinball update cycle stuff. I think people who get the game early will actually enjoy seeing it evolve. And, if I can be permitted a little back patting, the team is here, responding and listening. There's no weird radio silence, or where is the code campaigning going on here.

#11643 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The bottom pop bumper light worked when they first got the game but has since flaked out.

That is a symptom of the board problem only

#11644 2 years ago

yup that pop bumper light works totally fine. I tested by plugging lower into other pop connectors and no issues. Will all be resolved with production light boards.

#11645 2 years ago

I'm glad to see the reasonable discussion surrounding the game. No crazy flamebait arguments, no insane ranting, just reasonable questions and answers.

Here's hoping this becomes the new normal!

Game looks amazing, too.

#11646 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm glad to see the reasonable discussion surrounding the game....

Yeah that just started like 10 pages ago. I also hope the new norm is watching gameplay vids and not hearing aboot games forever (not company specific).

This game looks pretty damn sweet and I'd love to play one.

#11647 2 years ago

Sorry, I edited my original post to further clarify... Pre-production light boards = pop bumper light issue. Will be fixed with production boards being sent out.

#11648 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm glad to see the reasonable discussion surrounding the game. No crazy flamebait arguments, no insane ranting, just reasonable questions and answers.
Here's hoping this becomes the new normal!
Game looks amazing, too.

I think that speaks for the game itself! Honesty, if there was something bitch about...we'd be hearing it! Awesome suggestions coming in from everyone as well! Congrats to team Heighway!

#11649 2 years ago

Thanks for replying David. Hudson's distance callouts were something I didn't even consider for that mode. See this game is in great hands

Since you guys are listening, I had a thought today. I love the "Not bad for a human" ending clip, and I'm sure you have others planned. But if a player had a really short lousy game & the score was under a certain threshold, I think it would be pretty funny if the Hudson clip came on and said "Hey maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

Someone also commented in the other thread that you might be considering changing the "You failed" screens after failing to complete modes, as it might be too harsh. Well please leave that in there! In my opinion, games with lastability should be difficult & frustrating, not because the layout is hard, but because I couldn't make my required shots in time. That will frustrate a player and challenge them to do better (see Flash Gordon). It's what keeps me coming back for more. So go ahead & keep reminding me that I blew it, that just makes me want to keep putting in quarters & try again!

#11650 2 years ago
Quoted from focusmediagroup:

I am considering getting a Full Throttle cabinet and the Alien drop in table as well but was wondering if anyone knew if there were any significant advancements worth looking at with the Alien system being shipped? Have there been cabinet/base control changes? Are any of the electronics from original cabinet used for the Alien table or does it essentially swap everything?

Alien has a CPU upgrade that they would provide with your kit if you bought it to put in Full Throttle cab. Swapping in the CPU is supposed to be easy. Support told me they were in the final stages of testing it on Full Throttle last week. Other than that there are no changes in terms of a swap.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 233 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside