272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mizzou0103.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#3967 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, there is a small committee, but it is still up to Mnuchin, and his reporting wont come out until 6 months of disbursements. Businesses that dont support him, will simply get less.
His personal battle with Bezos shines, in how the game is played.
Using the Pandemic, and the Stimulus, as a tool for personal gain in re-election should be called out.

There’s actually more oversight than this Warren added some last minute language that requires weekly reports on where the money is going.

#4040 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It will be great if the House can make these changes....I this happening now?
I wish a BiPartisan Committee made the decisions.
4.5 Trillion is a big issue.

It’s already in the Senate version, so it’s good from that standpoint. It just needs the House to pass it and hopefully the Rep from KY or some rogue Dem doesn’t get cute and stop it.

#4803 4 years ago

Just curious, what’s driven the increase in partisanship the last day or two. Everyone was united and on the same page with facts. The Wickerman posts used to be almost unanimously upvoted now it’s split again. Couple of questions for the folks down voting him recently:
- Is it just starting to get real for folks in other parts of the country that they’re checking the thread?
- Have you seen more memes and content on social media pop up that shifts blame to folks outside federal government?
- Have the Fox Opinion shows changed their content to shift blame?

I’m trying to figure out why this has become partisan again.

Hopefully this won’t get moderated. *hesitantly pushes send post*

*Updated with additional hypothesis.*

#4891 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Yes. He drones on and on at times.

I mean, he may, but a certain someone just bragged on Twitter about the ratings he’s getting on his press conferences, so . . . .

Which one is the bigger narcissist? Gotta play both sides on this one if Cuomo is getting criticism.

#4993 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To expand on that, if you are anywhere else in the USA using goods from China, there is a high probability it came in at the port of Los Angeles, and the container got loaded onto a train and headed eastward.
I used to see them going by just about every day.

I’ve seen the hot/dry combo is bad for the virus somewhere in all the medical professionals I follow on Twitter for work. I can’t find the source though in the constant cascade of data and posts from the front lines. You may be on to something, but I haven’t seen anything formal.

On the flip side, if I remember correctly cold/dry; cold/wet and hot/wet were all equally good environments for the virus.

#5006 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The only problem is once summer hits the weather here turns from mostly coming off the desert to coming off the ocean, and it can get just as humid as Florida sometimes.

I looked to see if I could find anything and it looks like there is a ton of conflicting evidence other than that summer heat should help slow it down, but not stop it.

#5008 4 years ago

Folks can talk all the crap they want about Trump... at least he listens to the experts and will make changes when necessary. Even Fauci gives him big props for doing that.

Wait. What? It’s been the opposite. He had the intelligence community sounding the alarm in January and February.

#5064 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

3/29 White House briefing
Begins at 1:42:00

Oh my. The answer to the question at 2:27 trying to hold him accountable to statements he said on Hannity. You can always tell when the question is a great one because instead of answering it he attacks the reporter instead.

#5289 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Do the teleconference with your doctor at home with your computer . He can prescribe you meds and do a drive threw in the pharmacy . No exposer

This is what a lot of docs I work with are doing. In the US we’re hearing most are trying to do as much through telehealth as possible.

#5312 4 years ago

Has anyone been watching this model that projects state by state impact? It’s a partnership with a population health company and University of Washington. It’s also supposedly the model the federal government is using for their internal projections.

Data was updated today. Couple of takeaways:
- We’re on track for ~80,000 deaths in total nationwide. This is under what the federal government claims. They project 100,000 to 200,000. Seems that they are trying to set the bar low to claim victory off what is the current trend.
- In the last week, PA has cut their projected deaths in half. Last week they were projecting 3,000. Now it’s down to 1,500. Looks like the measures our governor put in place are having an impact.
- Bad news: Despite some states flattening their curve, the national projection for deaths has gone up slightly. Seems like Texas, Florida and a few of the slower moving states are increasing and keeping the national mortality rate flat.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

#5756 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Community spread has been discussed since very early on. But a lot of people didn't understand it and didn't take it seriously. I personally feel that is how NY got as bad as it did...subways and other forms of mass transit. I keep seeing these running groups on Facebook posting how they "only had 6-7 people" on their group run and they kept 6' apart. The weather has been breezy here, and 6' is not enough room. Go solo or stay home!

Here’s some anecdotal evidence around spread. tl;dr

60 people without symptoms attended a choir practice. They all used hand sanitizer before entering. No one shook hands or hugged. Within two weeks 45 of the 60 had gotten it.

Update: Didn’t realize this was already referenced. I’ll keep the link.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

#6024 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Does anyone find this math to be funny?
US population = 330 million people
Two percent of US population = 6.6 million people
So, if 2% of the US population dies, that’s 6.6M deaths. If 50% of the population get the virus, we are still at 3.3M deaths at a 2% death rate.
Why are they predicting 100K US deaths? Is it just me, or does that seem like a sugarcoated estimate? That’s roughly .03% of the US population. I must be missing something, or the govt is trying to control panic....

If I understand the data correctly, that higher number assumes no protective measures are put in place and the virus moves through the population unabated. The lower number (~80k to 200k) assumes what we currently have in place from a social distancing stand point in most states.

#6453 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think you might be missing the point that was trying to be made.
The point was that journalists are generally not subject matter experts on everything. So errors and misunderstandings might be included in an article when they are writing about a subject that they are not an expert in.
If you have ever read an article reporting on pinball, you could probably pick out a handful of errors. Usually minor, but obvious to a subject matter expert (ie, pinball enthusiast).
So, with that perspective in mind, the point was to view articles written on other subjects in the same light. A lot of the significant items in the subject of an article are probably correct, but it's likely that there are minor errors that go unnoticed by readers who are not subject matter experts.

I actually disagree with this summary. I’m a former journalist that attended one of the best j schools in the nation. No longer in the profession. (The pay and hours are AWFUL.). There are two types of journalists. One is a generalist that typically works in TV or a more entertainment driven medium. Those folks are prone to the mistakes you’re talking about. The other type is your typical print journalist that works a beat. These folks at the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and your local newspaper get close to being experts and understanding the nuance of their beat or knowing enough credible sources to help them parse through the information.

I feel It’s important that everyone try to spend a bit more time finding good sources of news. My rule of thumb is the easier it is to consume, the worse it is for you. Print > TV > Some rando with an opinion on Facebook

#6498 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

There are going to be a lot of leaders in this country on both sides of the aisle that are going to have some serious ‘splainin to do when this is all over.
Having said that, let’s be on the same team right now. It’s not the time for finger pointing.

I think you’re partly right. I agree we need to be on the same team, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be pressuring leaders to ensure:
Adequate testing gets provided quickly
The appropriate stay at home measures are taken
Healthcare workers get the PPE they need
Ensure our neighbors get financial relief if they’re laid off
Educate ourselves to be ready to hold leaders and legislators accountable, the next time they are on the ballot

Those issues are policy and government related and not political. It’s important that we make sure our leaders are accountable to the population. Of course this is regardless of party. Everyone, if you’ve got time, call your leaders and your legislators.

#6502 4 years ago

I agree with you however arguing on a pinball website about politics accomplishes none of those objectives.

Fair but driving effective engagement regardless of forum is worthwhile. I belong to lots of communities, but there are few that we can exchange ideas as efficiently as forums and social media. If this was some random thread about the new Iron Man code, you’d be totally right. This is about a bigger idea and government effectiveness is imperative to us being successful.

#6505 4 years ago

Our country was totally unprepared...and it goes back many years and decades. Public and private.
To sit and armchair quarterback the how’s and why’s is making weather forecasters look like spot on geniuses! And I’ve never seen one of them fired. Lol

I politely disagree. Here is a Joe Biden op-Ed in USA Today. Not from today. Not from March. Not from February. It’s from January. It’s worth a read. It makes him seems like Tony Romo-esqe Nostradamus of pandemic response.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/27/coronavirus-donald-trump-made-us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/

Edited because I came up with something clever.

#6563 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A lot of "Empty Hospital" videos popping up, just wondered if anyone in these areas could explain or verify if they are real or bogus. The big Hospital in New York was featured by several people, they all looked like ghost towns.

If I had to guess, it’s because they are in between stages, but there’s many other logistical reasons. We’ve heard that doctors aren’t seeing patients (I work in a home office role in pharma) because no one wants to take the risk of going to the doctor regardless of geographic location, if they don’t have COVID. So there’s a lot of hospitals and doctors doing the equivalent of waiting for the hurricane to hit.

#6575 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

these are the same people that want to use the coronavirus, and the shift to online classes, to identify professors that aren't sufficiently "patriotic" in hopes of chasing them off their job. There are whole websites dedicated to stalking university professors who don't meet their ideological criteria. it's sad to think that people's minds turn to that in these dark times, but as the article says, it's really a booming cottage industry to be a "citizen journalist"

Gotta love those randos with a blog or social media account.

#6580 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I believe it was "Randos" who called CBS on the mat for using footage from an emergency room in Italy and describing it a scene from
ground zero in New York. Without Independent fact checkers much of what is presented as reality would go unchallenged.

I’m not familiar with either example. Do you have a link to a retraction from CBS or a link that outlines the claim from:
- Fox News
- AP
- Reuters
- WSJ
- New York Times
- Washington Post

#6584 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm not sure we need to dwell on "some person in the video room maybe used the wrong B-roll during a scene in a segment". There's more than enough grim facts to focus on.

Totally fair. Found an article. CBS retracted it and pulled it from all their platforms. I think to use that as justification as being intentionally misleading is out of bounds. You’re right. Totally a “grabbing the wrong b-roll in the editing bay” mistake.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/cbs-admits-to-using-footage-from-italy-in-report-about-nyc/

#6588 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

There are hundreds of other like "Mistakes". Credentialed News sources should be above approach if they wish to keep their "Credentials".

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between reputable and non-reputable is that the good ones own their mistakes and address them. Don’t let one mistake discount a mountain of solid reporting.

#6640 4 years ago

I’d like to point out that Anderson Cooper is an entertainment show that thinks it’s news. Occasionally he will do hard hitting interviews, but like a lot of prime time TV personalities, ratings are important.

Once again, I’d urge everyone to read:
- The AP
- Reuters
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Economist
- Your local newspaper
- The Washington Post
- The New York Times

A mix of center right and center left will help keep you balanced and not addicted to junk food news.

#6777 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I tried to write that without getting political, but if that went over the line, I’ll take my medicine.

Freaking hilarious and nice job walking the line.

#6786 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The main point of the article is that no one really knows. Every model is prepared differently and what the WH people/experts did was hodge podge all of them and come up with a number...that a lot of other experts - including some people in the WH - say don’t add up from a predictive standpoint. It’s kind of a weird article.
This is what is cray. The doctor that really pushed the 3 drug cocktail - which inspires some hope - lives in a town 10 miles west of me...which has the largest outbreak in my county:
Touting Virus Cure, ‘Simple Country Doctor’ Becomes a Right-Wing Star
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/technology/doctor-zelenko-coronavirus-drugs.html?referringSource=articleShare

This to me is the most interesting paragraph.

“But what remains unclear and alarming to many modelers is whether the White House is using their data to create a coordinated, coherent long-term strategy.“

#7096 4 years ago

An important article that outlines a path forward from the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2007263

#7218 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

The good news is that number stayed the same from the last update a few days ago so at least things aren't getting worse (according to the site oaken referenced above at least). Anything under 100k is a big win imo -- though numbers like these are hard to grasp. I guess over 50K died from the flu a couple of years ago in the states and I don't know anyone that died of the flu personally so it's just hard for me to find any perspective, personally.
Stay safe everyone!

The death projections have actually been low the last couple of days. The actual deaths have been on the higher end of their confidence interval. I’m expecting the projections to be revised up today when they post the next update.

#7223 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

China's numbers are not reliable. I bet millions have died.

I don’t know about millions, but it’s definitely higher than what they are reporting.

#7231 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My understanding is that this group is providing the projections that the feds are using. The big assumption (which makes the data optimistic in my opinion) is that stay at home lasts until May. I really want this projection to be accurate. Other numbers I have seen are more depressing.

Agreed. I think we’re headed for an upward revision because the deaths have been a little on the high side of their confidence interval.

#7408 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Moderators, can we get a "sociopath spreading dangerous misinformation and/or lies" tag for reporting please? And a permanent thread eject if said person receives enough votes?
I'd really like to come here to learn about the coronavirus instead of having to wade through a small number of relentless sociopaths who can't take a hint despite literally hundreds of downvotes and rational people like actual doctors trying to set the record straight.
It's going to get people killed. It's not funny or entertaining, and it's on a par with shouting fire in a theater.

Redacted

#7427 4 years ago

Redacted

#7877 4 years ago

Here’s a really good article on testing. It covers why we’re still behind and unlikely to catch up soon.
https://thedispatch.com/p/america-is-still-too-far-behind-on

#8114 4 years ago

Here’s an interesting path forward from the ex-head of the FDA. It’s one of the more thoughtful plans I’ve seen.

https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

#8229 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

We could all argue over what’s deemed a reliable news or try to discredit any news because of his or her own political preference until we all get ejected. If you haven’t noticed I post from all news sources. Even through in some satire for comic relief.

Folks may get bothered by how their preferred news source falls on here but a nonprofit rates stories for bias and charts the news source here. It’s a good general guideline for quality and differentiating opinion disguised as news for fact based reporting.

The biggest gap in news right now is that there isn’t a lot of fact based reporting that skews right. You really only have the WSJ and The Dispatch (a new online publication from the folks at the now defunct Weekly Standard).

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/?v=402f03a963ba

#8233 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My buddy in china sent me this article today. Its front a chinese news source describing how different news outlets lie to you.
It's in english.
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/myQn0D0IdeROBe42kFUVkg

I LOVE hearing from China about truth in media. They have such a history of allowing Freedom of the Press.

#8236 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

From my previous link

Why lie? (a brief history).

Calling any news a “Lie” is unnecessarily inflammatory. Bias. Yes. Lying. No.

#8250 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I slump in my chair every time I read a news article and they quote the information coming from "a reliable source". I read similar versions of that often on Pinside concerning game rumors etc. It's irritating.

It really depends on the publication. There’s a real need to have unnamed sources, especially if there’s a chance of retribution for speaking out. The true news sources have a strict process for how they determine if they’re going to go with an unnamed source. It’s not something the Wall Street Journal or New York Times does lightly.

#8311 4 years ago

From what I can see the new case rate has been steady around 27-30000 over the past three days. That is down from a spike to 37000 several days ago but that may have been an anomaly. Deaths are steady around 1000 per day.
So, it’s some good news that new case rates aren’t accelerating anymore but we aren’t on a downturn yet.
The “peak” people talk about is probably the total case numbers which won’t peak until daily recoveries exceed new cases. That won’t be for a while.
I prefer to look at new cases and watch for new cases to start to decline, that’s probably the earliest indicator that we might be coming through this.
The unfortunate news is that even once you reach the peak there are still a lot of new cases and deaths that will happen as the epidemic resolves.

I was debating the covid19.healthdata.org data with one of the secondary analytics guys I worked with previously. He seems to think we won’t see a peak as much as a long plateau where one state slows but another becomes a hot spot and takes its place. Makes for a much longer timeline for this and puts us at risk of having to play whack a mole if states let up on shelter in place too early.

#8387 4 years ago

This doesn’t seem like a good idea. Trump is removing the Inspector General who is overseeing how the 2 Trillion gets spent. And on a positive note, the Navy Secretary who criticized the captain that blew the whistle on the COVID cases on the USS Roosevelt offered his resignation.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-abruptly-removes-inspector-general-named-oversee-2t/story?id=70024680&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/thomas-modly-coronavirus-speech-resign-navy-172625

#8564 4 years ago

That’s the same guy someone posted from the Blaze. It’s the exact same article the Blaze cut and pasted. Again, if Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc cured 100% of people we’d be hearing about it from more than one ER guy in California.

Just to throw more cold water on hydroxychloroquine, my pharma marketing team hosted a non-product related medical presentation on COVID last night. The guest was one of the most influential critical care pulmonologists in the nation. He was intrigued by hydroxychloroquine at first, but he’s moved completely away from it. He doesn’t see it being used unless one of the well controlled studies shows benefit.

*updated because I didn’t realize I was using the wrong name for hydroxychloroquine. In my defense, I only know the spaces I’ve worked in.

#8820 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It's very quiet on here tonight...[quoted image]

I think it’s because all the news has slowed. We’re reaching the point where the social distancing has flattened the curve. Now we just need to figure out what the next step is. I don’t exactly know what it is but it’s some form of significant testing capacity and vector tracing.

I’m going to reshare this. It gives a good overview from the ex-head of the FDA on how we start opening things back up without creating a second wave.

https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/

#9075 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

A meat packing plant in Hazleton, PA has 130 cases now.
https://www.inquirer.com/business/meat-plants-pennsylvania-cargill-jbs-souderton-covid-20200409.html
Some businesses are life sustaining AND nearly impossible to social distance in. How do you stop the spread of the virus while not having major food chain disruptions?

Whoa. That’s not good.

#9089 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The Kansas governor issued an executive order to limit church gatherings this week, then the legislature overturned it. They are of opposing political parties.

Just another reason to hate Kansas. . MIZ.

#9551 4 years ago

This is one of the most well reported and sourced piece of journalism I have possibly ever read. It’s a play by play of what the federal government knew and when and how they responded. Worth reading every detail. It’s a long one. FYI it’s not behind the pay wall so all you need to do is register to read it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html#link-73167b75

#9668 4 years ago

This podcast does a good job outlining the four major plans on how we get out of this first phase. The Weeds is a really great policy podcast. It leans left, but they do a good job on this one giving fair debate to all the options.

One thing that all the plans require is a president or leader that is able to earn strong support across party lines.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-weeds/id1042433083?i=1000471095547

#9755 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This is really the essence of politics: making decisions. It's a lot easier to go back and ask "what-if, " but there are always opposite sides too. What if there weren't the funds to keep them over there? What if they still didn't contain it? What if they were needed elsewhere? What if administration in China had something to do with the downsize?Where was China's CDC personnel, and why didn't they contain it?
Going back and placing blame on an entire pandemic outcome due to a small personnel change is a slippery slope, and a fruitless one.

Did you read The NY Times article I posted earlier? It’s definitely a lot more than just that.

#9759 4 years ago

Here’s the link for anyone that missed it. It links to a summary but the full article is linked at the bottom.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html#link-73167b75

Here’s a direct lift from the summary.

“Dozens of interviews and a review of emails and other records by The New York Times revealed many previously unreported details of the roots and extent of his halting response:

The National Security Council office responsible for tracking pandemics received intelligence reports in early January predicting the spread of the virus, and within weeks raised options like keeping Americans home from work and shutting down large cities.

Despite Mr. Trump’s denial, he was told at the time about a Jan. 29 memo produced by his trade adviser, Peter Navarro, laying out in striking detail the potential risks of a coronavirus pandemic.

The health and human services secretary directly warned Mr. Trump of the possibility of a pandemic during a call on Jan. 30, the second warning he delivered to the president about the virus. The president said he was being alarmist.

The health secretary publicly announced in February that the government was establishing a “surveillance” system in five American cities to measure the spread of the virus. It was delayed for weeks, leaving administration officials with almost no insight into how rapidly the virus was spreading.”

#9766 4 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Lol people getting their sources from The NY Times. Very fake news

If The NY Times is “fake news,” what do you consider “real news” and why?

#9793 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

This is all factual. But it is leaving out what other information was in play in the world. Yes, we knew about it. But China launched martial control and overreaction by US at that point, as seen in such hits as - Bird flu, MERS, swine flu- was unwarranted. By end of January, there were less then 2k confirmed cases worldwide. That was about time some guy came on here, said they quarantined him, and opened a go fund me page- only giving that as a reference. Who thought closing schools and airports was a good idea at that time? With the playoffs, Super-Bowl and March madness around the corner? No way!
We never fully trusted info coming out of China. If anything, this proves danger of dealing with a pseudo communist/dictatorship country. China had only started trade negotiations with US mid January- they couldn’t afford bad press. Gravity of situation only took place when Italy was hit. Most of Europe didn’t do anything until after US. Should we have done more? Yes. Are airports, highways, and borders still open? Yes- we are playing quarantine. By time we closed flights to Europe- we knew enough that people could be asymptomatic carriers. Yet, we let those people walk off the planes and go home? We checked temperatures.. All persons responsible for that call- even if Trump- need to be fired.
Should we have kept CDC pandemic task force funded when news in China developed? Yes. That is biggest concern for me- who is in charge of CDC funding and what was their motivation? Perfectly good German test being used, we make our own?

You definitely make valid points. My take is that the key difference is that we had important medical professionals in the government sounding the alarm. I think you’re right about January being too early to institute the mass quarantine tactics, but it probably made sense to mobilize some sort of fact finding and testing plan. It seems like we wasted a lot of time trying to hope it would go away without any real concrete action.

#9928 4 years ago

Doctors don’t get a kickback from pharmaceutical companies.

Confirmed. Everything goes through a strict legal and compliance process. You wouldn’t believe what mundane things I need to justify on a regular basis.

#9990 4 years ago

Really? A tape dispenser is what you come up with?
How much money is ANY company in America spending to influence your spending choices? Is there some specific reason pharmaceutical companies should be exempted from that? This is what I don't understand. Why is a company treated differently than any other company just because they make a medication?
Just as it's your responsibility to spend your money wisely despite the barrage of advertisements you see every day, it's also the responsibility of the doctor to give his or her patient the best drug for their issue despite ads on TV for a specific drug that tell a patient to "Ask your doctor if X is right for you" or the 5 minute talk from a drug rep that came by the office that day or *gasp* seeing a tape dispenser on a counter top.
If you think a tape dispenser is a kickback, I shudder to think what your reaction would be to everyday practices in corporate America.

If he wants to know the price, it’s max $10 from one of the trinket vendors. The big cost to pharma is to the creative agency that designed the tape dispenser to have that goofy Zoloft logo

#10254 4 years ago

Well yesterday sucked. Had to tell my kids we were postponing our Disney trip they had been looking forward to for years. I just don’t see how Disney World can open fully by July. I guessing if they do open it will be under some sort of crowd limit. Can’t see spending that kind of money for half the fun. My daughters dance team had planned to go to a big competition in Orlando and we were going to piggyback a week at Disney on the end. The dance competition got canceled so the writing was on the wall.
So, we will get our airline vouchers and maybe try for a trip in January.
On the positive side we decided to do a 2 week road trip instead which we haven’t done in a few years. I’m thinking Utah and see the 4 major national parks there. I figure those have a better chance of being open than Disney World.

We literally were having the exact same discussion. We’ve got reservations at Disney for early July and are expecting to postpone. Best case we drive to the Disney Hilton Head resort in August. Either way, at this point I’m planning to turn our travel money into pinball money.

#10270 4 years ago

Aw, man! We could have met up!
No way my wife lets me turn vacation money into pinball money though!

I normally wouldn’t get that either, but we’ve already got her stuff covered, so this is kinda found money. Once we make the official call on vacay, a Willy Wonka is going to show up. My daughter gets to pick this one.

#10271 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:We've thought about a road trip, but then where do you stop to use the restroom? Is there social distance? Where do you eat? There are a lot of questions still even on a road trip. We plan on waiting and seeing when it appears safe. I am not willing to gamble anyone's life on a road trip.
Am I missing something?

That’s where I keep getting stuck. I was thinking about renting an RV and just going to a state park, but I can’t figure out how to get around all the things that are shut down.

#10280 4 years ago

Oh it’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it isn’t. My issues is with the word kickback. It implies a quid pro quo system between pharmaceutical companies and doctors and that simply doesn’t exist in modern US medicine.
Yes drug companies market their products. Yes they hire good looking people to do so. No, it’s not a quid pro quo system.

Co-signing that statement. My job (pharma marketing) is much harder now than my predecessors ever had it. It’s honestly for the better though. It requires pharma to have well differentiated products because:
- Insurance won’t pay for “me-too” products or products that don’t work better than generics
- Doctors won’t waste their time talking to a rep who has a bad product. There’s literally no upside for them other than a free lunch from Panera.

#10571 4 years ago

I might get moderated for this, but it’s too good not to share. Most cable news is infotainment, which is what Fox used to be. I love that she draws the comparison to professional wrestling. It’s pretty much Brutus’ Barbershop with out Brutus or a fake window to throw someone through.

936BA75D-D6A4-45C2-982B-688197709A3D (resized).png936BA75D-D6A4-45C2-982B-688197709A3D (resized).png
#10646 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Some of us who agree that the WHO mishandled this and should be held accountable for mistakes made aren't defending Trump's blunders and mistakes either. Im not happy with much of how Trump has handled this including his unconstitutional statements a few days back that as president, he has absolute authority over the country and states.
I think what some are getting at is you seem reticent to acknowledge or discuss this as a global disaster with multiple groups and leaders making mistakes that contributed to this mess. Intead, you make it sound as if it only domestic issue with the fault of what has happened almost exclusively on our government and leaders.
There is a lot of blame to go around everywhere, beginning with its place of origin and the failure of global organizations like the WHO to do their job instead of just parroting what they were being told by China.

My take on it is there is a lot of blame to go around across the globe. I think where I hold the president responsible is that we had the knowledge and health system to respond more like South Korea and Germany with ramping up testing and tracking, so we didn’t end up in the middle of the pack globally. I think if we had a more coordinated and less chaotic approach we’d be about 1 or 2 months closer to getting back to normal.

#10654 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I don't disagree with that. Like I said, I haven't been happy with a lot of how Trump has handled this. His propensity to make decisions off of his gut rather then listening to advisors is a weakness that has contributed to many of the blunders he is making.
His blunders don't absolve the WHO or China's government of their roles in failing to curb or adequately warm the world of the danger, though.

Completely agree. I started reading CNN articles from January and February on COVID. They have all of them archived, so you can go back and see how everything played out. You were right about using his gut. Seems like that played a role. Also, it seems like a lot of folks were “doing stuff” to address it but there wasn’t any coordinated effort. So even though folks were busy, nothing got accomplished. That’s another hallmark of his “leadership style” that’s problematic. He likes a chaotic organization where everyone is competing with each other, but that’s a problem when stuff actually needs to get done quickly, because no one leads. I think the other failing is that he was overly worried about the economic impact, since he’s tied his re-election to it, so he slow played anything that would cause a downturn in the stock market. That in and of itself wasn’t a bad call, but coupled with everything else, it amplified the poor governing and gut decision making.

#10794 4 years ago

It’s not dismissive. Aren’t you getting frustrated about all the conflicting information over this thing?
Here is what I have surmised as briefly as I can state it:
1. Everyone is gonna get it
2. It’s a coin flip as to whether we live or die when it’s our turn
3. Social distancing is to save the health care system capacity, not people
4. Good luck!

There isn’t conflicting information from the medical community. If you only pay attention to Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx everyone will be okay. It’s when we take cues from folks that aren’t using medicine as their guiding light that the waters get muddied.

#10936 4 years ago

Here’s some interesting news on Remdesivir. It’s still not the final read out of the study, but seems like the anecdotal is strong. Fingers crossed we keep getting positive results. If you’ve got Gilead stock, it’s a pretty good time to sell. They just got a big bump.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

Update: Even if the study reads out well in May, they’ll only have about 500,000 doses by October so it can only be used on a small number of patients. This means we’ll still need a combo of testing and contract tracing. This just reduces mortality. Also, checked clintrials.gov and there is no placebo arms, so *shrugs shoulders*

https://www.gilead.com/purpose/advancing-global-health/covid-19/working-to-supply-remdesivir-for-covid-19

#11015 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Those of you in the US...important...please read...
https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/
Pinside Moderators please make this a key post...thank you!

I was excited about this at first, but there’s so little information in it. There’s nothing about the plan for testing or contact tracing. Seems more of a political ploy to show something than an actionable plan.

The center right AEI plan is much more comprehensive. I was expecting something more like this.

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/National-Coronavirus-Response-a-Road-Map-to-Recovering-2.pdf

#11018 4 years ago

Has there been any intelligent explanations on why testing is such a problem? From not enough of them, to inaccurate tests, to processing, and to anything else about them? I keep reading/watching tv about the problem (lack of quality testing), but why has no news outlet explained why the problem exists?

Here’s the challenge in a nut shell.

https://thedispatch.com/p/america-is-still-too-far-behind-on

I can’t find the other source I was reading, but it seems like the execution has been chaotic. Lots of different tests. Some work well others don’t. Some return results fast others don’t. Some places have too much testing others not enough.

#11039 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have no problem. Can we know why?

You have a problem. Same question. Can we know why?

Let me take a stab at this. The news department at Fox still has some good journalists in it. Chris Wallace’s Sunday show is excellent viewing. Fox definitely lost a good journalist when Shepherd Smith left. CNN has Jake Tapper and Jim Acosta who have been trashed by some folks, but they are very good at their jobs. The best cable news, and TV news viewing in general are the Sunday morning shows. If you just watched a sampling of those, you’d be super well informed.

#11773 4 years ago

Here’s a good read from ProPublica. Here’s a quick summary. It’s same stuff we’ve been talking about, but goes into some good details.

https://www.propublica.org/article/coronavirus-advice-from-abroad-7-lessons-americas-governors-should-not-ignore-as-they-reopen-their-economies

“To help you and your aides think about this decision over the next few weeks, we’ve interviewed experts and frontline officials from Italy, Germany, Spain, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea. While they differ on the details, their views formed a startlingly united consensus of what’s needed:

- Massive, ongoing testing to detect where the disease is spreading,
- A real-time ability to trace contacts of those infected and isolate them,
- A willingness of people to wear masks in crowded public spaces,
- Reserves of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other equipment for hospital workers to handle any surge in cases,
- Reliable, easily administered blood tests to find out the number of people who have been infected. If they work well, such tests could eventually be used to identify people with immunity who could work at higher-risk jobs.”

#11798 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Yeah, this is the kind of mess I don't like, sorry. I don't need anyone to tell me I've had it, don't need a Government Agency to test me, don't want to be tracked, none of my friends tracked, I don't need mandatory isolation. This is just agreeing to a massive derailment of civil rights orchestrated by these devils.
Early on began wearing PPE, before PPE was cool. Isolated myself. I feel I had a case of this around Thanksgiving, which means all information as to origins and timeframe are a lie.
Voluntary? Fine. Mandatory? Blow it out your hind end.

Well. We’ve got two choices. We can institute some or all of these or we can shelter in place until we have a vaccine. Neither is great. The problem with instituting any of the plans is they require trust in our government. Unfortunately we’re at a point where partisanship is at an all time high. Political attacks by either party or partisan media only make it worse. Thankfully these decisions have been pushed down to the state level where things are less partisan. It at least gives us a fighting chance.

#11893 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

It was made part of the stimulus that no money could go to anything Trump owned. Also the democrats put a person in to oversee all the SBA loans.

Looks like the oversight got held up in the Senate.

“But more than two weeks later, after hundreds of billions of dollars have already flown out the door through the Paycheck Protection Program, the Treasury’s Inspector General post has not yet been confirmed by the Senate and the two panels are not fully staffed. Congress is preoccupied with the unprecedented task of managing dueling public health and economic crises remotely, and Trump, whose administration has blocked Congressional oversight for years, has already threatened to scuttle the process. When he signed the bill into law in March, he said he would not allow the Inspector General overseeing the executive branch’s committee to submit reports to Congress without his supervision, arguing it was unconstitutional.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5823510/coronavirus-stimulus-oversight/%3famp=true

#11899 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

This doesn’t seem like a good idea. Trump is removing the Inspector General who is overseeing how the 2 Trillion gets spent. And on a positive note, the Navy Secretary who criticized the captain that blew the whistle on the COVID cases on the USS Roosevelt offered his resignation.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-abruptly-removes-inspector-general-named-oversee-2t/story?id=70024680&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/thomas-modly-coronavirus-speech-resign-navy-172625

Here’s my post about the change in the Cares Act oversight from 2 weeks ago. Seems like this decision by the president had a significant impact on how the money got allocated.

#12205 4 years ago

I’m other news, I’m gonna brag on my kid. My oldest son is a junior in high school and got his ACT scores back yesterday. Kid got a freaking 36. Show me the scholarship money!

Damn! Congratulations! That’s amazing.

#12247 4 years ago

Here’s a good summary of the four plans that are being considered.

“The plans are grim. They do suggest there’s a way back to normal life, but they make clear that it will likely take a long, uncomfortable, even painful time to get there. The CAP and AEI plans in particular suggest the US won’t be able to fully end social distancing until 12 to 18 months from now — with a true end requiring a vaccine or some other therapeutic to prevent or treat Covid-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.”

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/14/21218074/coronavirus-plans-social-distancing-end-reopen-economy

#12266 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I predict they will have a vaccine available by early next winter for those willing to get it but may require signing a waiver or something.
Normally that would be too soon for safety follow up but 12-18 months from now could be disasterous for the global economy. It is bad enough right now after two months.

The earliest looks to be JNJ’s candidate. They’re producing it at risk and hope to have data by April and if it’s positive they’ll have large quantities available by April 2021.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-a-lead-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19-landmark-new-partnership-with-u-s-department-of-health-human-services-and-commitment-to-supply-one-billion-vaccines-worldwide-for-emergency-pandemic-use

#12295 4 years ago

“At Ad Fontes Media, our mission is to make news consumers smarter and news media better.

This is a tall order, because we have a big problem in our news media landscape: too much junk news. Junk news is like junk food, and just like junk food has caused massive health epidemics in our country, junk news is causing a massive polarization epidemic.

We are optimistic that together, we can rise to this challenge. It is imperative that we do.

A problem this big requires a multi-pronged solution and participation from all the stakeholders in good journalism. Our focus is on the following:

“We analyze and rank news content and display those rankings in a way that is easy for people to understand.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/?v=402f03a963ba

#12308 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Moderna started trials before JNJ. Different technology, rna vaccine so maybe efficacy and safety data will take longer?
I just have a feeling they'll have some data on several of these vaccines by mid to late fall and healthcare workers and/or those willing to take a bit of a risk could get it earlier. I hope so. April 2021 is a long ways off.

Moderna started earlier, but I haven’t seen anything around production. The benefit of JNJ’s is that if data comes back positive, there should be enough doses by April 2021 to vaccinate a large portion of the global population.

#12316 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

JNJ is waiting until September to start trials? Why?
There are other candidates outside of JNJ's already starting trials. If they show promise, there will be cooperation domestically & globally to help ramp up production capabilities.

It’s human clinics trials that won’t start until September. I’m assuming that means Phase III. The first phase is animal. The second phase is small human population tests for dose finding. Third is large scale human trials that determine efficacy and safety.

#12339 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I believe preclinical are usually animal trials. Phase 1 are usually small human dose finding, side-effect oriented type of trials. That may be accelerated in this case but just surprised they aren't starting sooner on larger scale trials.

Gosh. Learn something new every day. I’ve been in pharma on the commercial side for my entire career and thought I knew what the phases were.

#12552 3 years ago

“A government-run study of Gilead’s remdesivir, perhaps the most closely watched experimental drug to treat the novel coronavirus, showed that the medicine is effective against Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

Gilead made the announcement in a statement Wednesday, stating: “We understand that the trial has met its primary endpoint.” The company said that the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which is conducting the study, will provide data at an upcoming briefing.

The finding — although difficult to fully characterize without any data for the study — would represent the first treatment shown to improve outcomes in patients infected with the virus that put the global economy in a standstill and killed at least 218,000 people worldwide.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/29/gilead-says-critical-study-of-covid-19-drug-shows-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

1 week later
#13240 3 years ago

AP Exclusive: Admin shelves CDC guide to reopening country

“It was supposed to be published last Friday, but agency scientists were told the guidance “would never see the light of day,” according to a CDC official. The official was not authorized to talk to reporters and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

The AP obtained a copy from a second federal official who was not authorized to release it. The guidance was described in AP stories last week, prior to the White House decision to shelve it.

The Trump administration has been closely controlling the release of guidance and information during the pandemic spurred by a new coronavirus that scientists are still trying to understand, with the president himself leading freewheeling daily briefings until last week.“

https://apnews.com/7a00d5fba3249e573d2ead4bd323a4d4

#13364 3 years ago

I haven’t been as active in this thread recently, but I have been keeping up and it’s been super enjoyable for the most part and very reasonable. Kudos to the mods.

#13382 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

This is one of the most complete analyses I have seen on the manner in which the coronavirus can be spread. It is worth reading from the standpoint of protecting yourself in public and at your workplace. It was written by a biologist at the University of Massachusetts.
https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them
I am a big believer in the dosage component of contracting the virus. Our body seems to be able to fight off small infections ... we need to avoid prolonged or intense exposure.
Stay well everyone!

Thanks for sharing. I was hoping someone would compile all the information we know about spreading events. The summary makes sense. Probably means I’ll be working from home until there’s a vaccine. It also means that wearing a mask in retail makes total sense for the employees and that stores should be strictly enforcing proper mask wearing to at least reduce risk to employees.

#13575 3 years ago

Who opened the crazy flood gates? I thought posts needed approval?

#13662 3 years ago

Just got done talking to our medical director. He donated a week of his time in a COVID clinic in NYC. He took over and followed 10 patients. 8 of them died. All different ages. Some with pre-existing conditions. Some young and healthy. I know everyone’s antsy to get back to normal, but we really need to make sure we do this methodically to keep exposure low.

#13672 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I applaud his dedication.

Don’t applaud. Take the advice from medical professionals seriously and push back on those that don’t. He’d appreciate that more.

#13752 3 years ago

“What does harm reduction look like for the coronavirus? First, policy makers and health experts can help the public differentiate between lower-risk and higher-risk activities; these authorities can also offer support for the lower-risk ones when sustained abstinence isn’t an option. Scientists still have a lot to learn about this new virus, but early epidemiological studies suggest that not all activities or settings confer an equal risk for coronavirus transmission. Enclosed and crowded settings, especially with prolonged and close contact, have the highest risk of transmission, while casual interaction in outdoor settings seems to be much lower risk. A sustainable anti-coronavirus strategy would still advise against house parties. But it could also involve redesigning outdoor and indoor spaces to reduce crowding, increase ventilation, and promote physical distancing, thereby allowing people to live their lives while mitigating—but not eliminating—risk.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/quarantine-fatigue-real-and-shaming-people-wont-help/611482/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&fbclid=IwAR34HwerIm4b1-Wo3OR9ACZNsae7wnHfqLkq3Qsi4sbs04_HymQ73hrzfMQ

#13870 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

RTR's Lockdown Life:
Today I had my yard mowed. Right now there are 3 guys (all wearing masks) installing a new HVAC in my house. We are hangin' outside enjoying the sun and wearing masks when inside. Yesterday we had groceries delivered and I went to the pharmacy to pick up some things. Filled up my truck with cheap diesel. Construction crews going in the neighborhood. Weed and feed guy came by and did treatments. USPS, UPS, and Fedex all delivered stuff in the past couple of days. We've ordered food from restaurants and had it delivered. Except for 5 guys, I picked that up bc I wanted to eat some hot fries. I wore a mask and limited my time inside 5 guys. The 3 guys working in 5 guys were all masked up.
We are heading to the park later. We will stay away from others, but have masks handy.
Things I wouldn't do right now regardless - eat inside a restaurant, work out inside a gym, go to a movie, concert, funeral, or church service, strap on my AR-15 and protest with the Michigan Militia, have a BBQ with 20 of my closest friends who all swear they have 'been careful' and 'feel fine', lick a doorknob, get a face tattoo or perm, go on a cruise, criticize Dr. Fauci.

Best. Post. Ever.

1 month later
#15796 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Keep in mind that there is generally a multiple week lag between an uptick in cases and an uptick in deaths. I would suggest you watch the proportion that are positive on the test, as that also conveys important information.

We may not see an uptick in deaths right away with this spike. The folks getting it in AZ, TX and FL are skewing younger. That doesn’t mean it’s not going to be a big deal for them though. Even if they survive COVID, critical care pulmonologists are seeing significant complications related to blood flow to the lungs due to the coagulative effects of the virus. I work on a drug for pulmonary hypertension and we met with several thought leaders in our space the last two weeks. The folks from NY, Michigan and Boston who saw a lot of COVID in the first wave are worried that there is going to be a significant portion of survivors that are going to have chronic shortness of breath going forward. They’re starting to organize some registries to follow these patients long term to identify what type of complications to expect long term. This may be a virus that even if you survive you’re not completely out of the woods.

1 week later
#16071 3 years ago

It’s no smarmy meme, but thought this was valuable information from a non-biased source.

“Using anonymous cell phone tracking data from SafeGraph, Inc., as well as data on the local prevalence of COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we demonstrate that cities which had protests saw an increase in social distancing behavior for the overall population relative to cities that did not. In addition, we find no evidence that net COVID-19 case growth differentially rose following the onset of Black Lives Matter protests, and even modest evidence of a small longer-run case growth decline. These results make an important contribution not only to the current discussion around policies for controlling the spread of disease, but also to the understanding of human behavior of the general population during periods of civil unrest.”

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

#16072 3 years ago

I REALLY wish people would stop trying to point fingers every which way to deflect attention from whatever behavior they want to defend.
Conservatives are all saying that it was the protests, liberals are all saying it's the bars being open and political rallies without masking.
Guess what? IT'S BOTH.
Shut up about it and put a mask on.

Here’s some more data from testing in Massachusetts.

“ More than 17,000 people took advantage of free COVID-19 testing offered last week aimed for people who had attended Black Lives Matter protests. Of those, 2.5% tested positive for the coronavirus, Gov. Charlie Baker said Tuesday morning.

Massachusetts offered free COVID-19 testing at more than 50 sites on Wednesday and Thursday, and a handful offered testing on Friday. In total, 17,617 people got COVID-19 tests under the initiative. Baker said the results are consistent with the statewide public health data.”

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/after-black-lives-matter-protests-in-massachusetts-25-who-got-free-covid-19-testing-were-positive-for-coronavirus-governor-says.html

#16160 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

We are testing more than any other country, thats why cases keep going up. Deaths on the other hand are on the decline........thats a good thing for all you gloomer doomers.

Why do you consider those of us taking a scientific and seemingly pragmatic approach “doom and gloomers?” Agreed that the fact that deaths haven’t gone up is a good thing. We still don’t know if that will hold as the epidemic spreads further in the higher affected states. I think the concern I have is that minimizing the risk and outcomes results in folks getting lax in their behaviors. We’re currently seeing what that causes in FL, TX, Los Angeles and AZ. There’s definitely a difference between using an abundance of caution and panic. I’m definitely not panicking. I’ll stop being “doom and gloom” when we start re-bending the curve or we have a vaccine. That’s when I can get optimistic again. Just my thoughts.

1 week later
#16505 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is what may happen if kids all go back to school... this is at a Summer camp where the virus quickly spread among the campers:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/506564-missouri-summer-camp-reports-82-coronavirus-cases

One thing to keep in mind with this one is that it’s an overnight camp. We don’t know how it was spread. It was potentially in bunk houses without masks as the kids slept. It’s potentially closer to what the agriculture workers experience in bunk houses which have been super spreader situations.

1 week later
#17123 3 years ago

With safely opening schools being a question, here’s well researched and presented paper out of Harvard and should give everyone who is sending their kids back to school an idea around what they should be requesting from their school district to reduce risk of getting COVID.

HEALTHY CLASSROOMS
- Wear masks
- Wash hands frequently
- Maximize physical distancing to protect individuals
- Maximize group distancing to slow transmission chains
- Disinfect objects between users

HEALTHY BUILDINGS
- Increase outdoor air ventilation
- Filter indoor air
- Supplement with portable air cleaners
- Verify ventilation and filtration performance
- Consider advanced air quality techniques
- Use plexiglass as physical barrier
- Install no-contact infrastructure
- Keep surfaces clean
- Focus on bathroom hygiene

HEALTHY POLICIES
- Establish and reinforce a culture of health, safety, and shared responsibility
- Form a COVID-19 response team and plan
- Prioritize staying home when sick
- Promote viral testing and antibody testing

HEALTHY SCHEDULES
- Manage transition times and locations
- Make lunchtime safer
- Rethink transportation
- Modify attendance

HEALTHY ACTIVITIES
- Provide recess
- Modify physical education
- Reimagine music and theater classes
- Continue sports with enhanced controls
- Add structure to free time

https://schools.forhealth.org/risk-reduction-strategies-for-reopening-schools/

#17163 3 years ago

Here’s 20 questions to ask your school before sending your kids back. It’s from a group of professors at Harvard who are collaborating across specialty to provide guidelines for reopening schools safely.

Interactive link here: https://schools.forhealth.org/risk-reduction-strategies-for-reopening-schools/faqs/

3586302A-14AF-4AD9-B3D9-98C4742A08CA (resized).png3586302A-14AF-4AD9-B3D9-98C4742A08CA (resized).png
1 week later
#17532 3 years ago

This article has some important new findings about transmission of COVID. It talks about how aerosols play a major role. These are particles that are smaller than droplets formed when coughing or sneezing, but not the same a traditional airborne viruses like measles and tuberculosis. There’s a lot of scholarly work around it, but this is the first article that explains it for public consumption.

“In a new report, a research team based at Harvard and the Illinois Institute of Technology has tried to tease out the ways in which the virus passed from person to person in the staterooms, corridors and common areas of the Diamond Princess. It found that the virus spread most readily in microscopic droplets that were light enough to float in the air, for several minutes or much longer.

The new findings add to an escalating debate among doctors, scientists and health officials about the primary routes of coronavirus transmission. Earlier this month, after pressure from more than 200 scientists, the World Health Organization acknowledged that the virus could linger in the air indoors, potentially causing new infections. Previously, it had emphasized only large droplets, as from coughing, and infected surfaces as the primary drivers of transmission. Many clinicians and epidemiologists continue to argue that these routes are central to disease progression.

The new paper has been posted on a preprint server and submitted to a journal; it has not yet been peer-reviewed, but it was shown by Times reporters to nearly a dozen experts in aerosols and infectious disease. The new findings, if confirmed, would have major implications for making indoor spaces safer and choosing among a panoply of personal protective gear.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/health/diamond-princess-coronavirus-aerosol.html

#17533 3 years ago

Summary: The global pandemic of COVID-19 has been associated with infections and deaths among health-care workers. This Viewpoint of infectious aerosols is intended to inform appropriate infection control measures to protect health-care workers. Studies of cough aerosols and of exhaled breath from patients with various respiratory infections have shown striking similarities in aerosol size distributions, with a predominance of pathogens in small particles (<5 μm). These are immediately respirable, suggesting the need for personal respiratory protection (respirators) for individuals in close proximity to patients with potentially virulent pathogens. There is no evidence that some pathogens are carried only in large droplets. Surgical masks might offer some respiratory protection from inhalation of infectious aerosols, but not as much as respirators. However, surgical masks worn by patients reduce exposures to infectious aerosols to health-care workers and other individuals. The variability of infectious aerosol production, with some so-called super-emitters producing much higher amounts of infectious aerosol than most, might help to explain the epidemiology of super-spreading. Airborne infection control measures are indicated for potentially lethal respiratory pathogens such as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30323-4/fulltext

#17576 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Tough for teachers too. My wife just found out yesterday that her position as junior high librarian is being eliminated this year. They just can't figure out a way to safely incorporate the library into the curriculum.

Sorry to hear that. It’s honestly a missed opportunity to potentially get creative. I’ve been reading a ton of things around safely opening schools and (I don’t know if this even makes sense from an education standpoint) one of the more interesting ideas was to repurpose areas like the library, gym and cafeteria into classrooms to spread more kids out. Then you start with kindergarten and working your way up (first then second grade etc.) and determine how many kids you can accommodate in a healthy manner. You then repurpose librarians, gym teachers, etc to teach those classes. When you run out of healthy space you move the rest of the kids online. The thinking being the younger kids need more in person teaching and the older kids could more effectively be taught on line.

#17581 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hard to say whats next....Hyperinflation?

I was wondering the same thing. It’s gotta be either hyper inflation or higher taxes for richer folks, right? Only a few options to get out of the debt.

3 weeks later
#18050 3 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

I’ve had my guard up, but have been letting it down recently. I wear a mask everywhere and have sanitizer my truck. Lots of takeout and socially distanced gatherings. I did go to a bar with my friends last week and of course we all were hanging out without our masks on. The next morning I thought to myself, what was the point of that? I just spent every day for the past few months being extra cautious. I suppose the point is that it is easy to let your guard down. I’m back to being overly cautious again, but it was a breath of fresh air to see my friends. There really is something to the mental well-being argument to all of this.

Totally get the need for interaction. I wish the government would do more to open up outdoor spaces for bars and restaurants to use. It’s so much safer than keeping restaurants and bars open for indoor dining. If you’re so inclined, there’s a Federal bill to help out small restaurants that helps them pay employees and convert their spaces to more outdoor dining.

1 month later
#19147 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Like a lot of you guys, I can only handle so much network news - like almost none. I have found it helpful to follow some experts ( I use Twitter to follow them). None are currently affiliated with the government, but all are actually real live actual experts in their field - demon sperm free. The information they share is more technical, focused, and useful to me as explainers. These folks were all early on dispelling the foolishness around unproven therapies, early on mask wear/distancing, sensible about opening protocols, and in general low on the nonsense scale. Here are 3 of my faves.
Eric Topol - MD, researcher, associated with Scripps Research Institute
Tom Frieden - MD, former CDC director (Obama), infectious disease specialist
Scott Gottlieb - MD, former head of FDA (Trump), associated with American Enterprise Institute (conservative think tank), appears on CNBC and posts those clips on his twitter feed

I love Twitter for this reason. I’d add Dr. Linsey Marr(@linseymarr), Dr. Michael Mina (@michaelmina_lab) and Dr. Joseph Allen (@j_g_allen). They’re all experts in airborne diseases and/or epidemiologists.

10 months later
#25386 2 years ago

I haven’t dipped into this thread in a while. Totally impressed that PantherCityPins is still holding down the fort and explaining everything with patience. Kudos.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mizzou0103.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.