Topic Stats

• 21,385 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,078 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20210121_121739.jpg
20210121_121719.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Dentalchair_a (resized).png
ADEF9814-41EB-4103-A43B-2BB7443A3537 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210118-233900~2 (resized).png
victoria (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.33.30 AM (resized).png
Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
20210116_224325 (resized).jpg
20210116_224251 (resized).jpg
20210116_124545 (resized).jpg
E83B3B92-61CB-4D19-89B8-27605BD16F17 (resized).jpeg
AAA4A17D-1C6A-4489-AB08-FDF9811493D3.gif
Capture d’écran 2021-01-15 à 13.49.41 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.47.46 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

140 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21395 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 428.
#5751 9 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Now some stats about confirmed positive cases vs age:
Australia:
21% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
16% of cases are aged 30 to 39
31% of cases are 60 or older
New Zealand:
26% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
14% of cases are aged 30 to 39
21% of cases are 60 or older
US:
29% were aged 20 to 44
18% were aged 55 to 64
25% were aged 65 to 84
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/australians-in-their-20s-have-more-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-than-any-other-age-group

Pretty much Covid is doing what nature does. Seems like vast majority of healthy people are not affected and the people with underlying conditions and old age are. That’s Darwin’s theory of evolution

The only thing so far solving this issue is the uncredited human immune system.

#5752 9 months ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Pretty much Covid is doing what nature does. Seems like vast majority of healthy people are not affected and the people with underlying conditions and old age are. That’s Darwin’s theory of evolution

Oh man wolfemaaan, you would have been a good sample Nazi in old germany!
Yes Covid does what nature does, yes it's Darwins theory of evolution. But we are human beeings and we can fight it. Humans stand together, we can try to protect the weak and helpless and we can work together as a community. We don't have to accept everything. We can give a fight. And not only for our self we can fight for our fellow human beings.
You can choose which world you want to live in.

#5753 9 months ago

If you dont want to be scared then dont watch this. I can only hope that this guy is wrong....at least a little bit.

#5754 9 months ago

Community spread has been discussed since very early on. But a lot of people didn't understand it and didn't take it seriously. I personally feel that is how NY got as bad as it did...subways and other forms of mass transit. I keep seeing these running groups on Facebook posting how they "only had 6-7 people" on their group run and they kept 6' apart. The weather has been breezy here, and 6' is not enough room. Go solo or stay home!

#5755 9 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Now some stats about confirmed positive cases vs age:
Australia:
21% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
16% of cases are aged 30 to 39
31% of cases are 60 or older
New Zealand:
26% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
14% of cases are aged 30 to 39
21% of cases are 60 or older
US:
29% were aged 20 to 44
18% were aged 55 to 64
25% were aged 65 to 84
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/australians-in-their-20s-have-more-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-than-any-other-age-group

The real metric that we should be looking at is whether any particular group *over-indexes*, but until we get consistent mass testing in place, I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from the data we’re seeing.

For example, just looking at the numbers above as well as the hospitalization rates quoted earlier, you may say that elderly people are way more at risk. But they are way more at risk for hospitalization/death on a daily basis than younger people are anyway. So you need to compare the average rates of hospitalization against the increased rates, and see which age group experiences a greater increase. And likewise, understanding how widespread the virus actually is will also help clarify what the actual danger is to us—right now we are mostly capturing data on only the worst outcomes.

Of course, data means nothing anyway. If the risk was essentially zero, but you caught the virus and died, it won’t make your loved ones feel any better to be told that your death was a mathematical outlier.

#5756 9 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Community spread has been discussed since very early on. But a lot of people didn't understand it and didn't take it seriously. I personally feel that is how NY got as bad as it did...subways and other forms of mass transit. I keep seeing these running groups on Facebook posting how they "only had 6-7 people" on their group run and they kept 6' apart. The weather has been breezy here, and 6' is not enough room. Go solo or stay home!

Here’s some anecdotal evidence around spread. tl;dr

60 people without symptoms attended a choir practice. They all used hand sanitizer before entering. No one shook hands or hugged. Within two weeks 45 of the 60 had gotten it.

Update: Didn’t realize this was already referenced. I’ll keep the link.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

#5757 9 months ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Here’s some anecdotal evidence around spread. tl;dr
60 people without symptoms attended a choir practice. They all used hand sanitizer before entering. No one shook hands or hugged. Within two weeks 45 of the 60 had gotten it.
Update: Didn’t realize this was already referenced. I’ll keep the link.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

That’s unbelievable that something could be that contagious.

#5758 9 months ago

Funny thing happened the other day i thought i should share. I went for a drive into the country to deliver a pinball i turned off all social media and my phone and i had such an amazing day sunshine and the open road with hardly any traffic. I felt alive not stressed or living in fear.

#5759 9 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you dont want to be scared then dont watch this. I can only hope that this guy is wrong....at least a little bit.

Unfortunately he's pretty damn right. Not really new information, just that about the deathrate when you're on a ventilator. 70-85% deathrate on a ventilator is not really promising

#5760 9 months ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Funny thing happened the other day i thought i should share. I went for a drive into the country to deliver a pinball i turned off all social media and my phone and i had such an amazing day sunshine and the open road with hardly any traffic. I felt alive not stressed or living in fear.

Why did you come back to this turd?

#5761 9 months ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Why did you come back to this turd?

For you of course.

#5762 9 months ago

McCormick place, the largest convention center in North America, is being turned into a Covid hospital. It should be open this week.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/mccormick-place-could-be-ready-this-week-for-covid-19-patients/amp/

#5763 9 months ago

Post #5753 with the video of the guy who has his diploma in the background as validity that he is a doctor......did anybody notice that the
bookcase with the fancy gilded books on the shelves is a poster? Who hangs a poster of a bookcase up behind them? A real doctor? A person who really likes books but can't afford them?

I'm not hating on the guy but it just struck me as a little odd.

#5764 9 months ago
Quoted from PW79:

Man that swab goes deep. Remind me not to blow through a bag of booger sugar with one of those covid19 testers.
The stimulus shit is bogus. Just extend unemployment or give it some juice. Sending checks to anyone under a certain income level regardless of hardship is weird.
Pisses me off they cap the income too. I guess workers above that level get unlimited quantitative easing to protect their portfolio tho.
One weird thing is the ability to capture 401k dollars without penalty.
When the market is down and your income is down that puts you in a great spot to manipulate deferred taxes significantly. Especially if you roll into a Roth.
Let’s say, to keep things simple, you put $100K into a 401K to avoid 25% tax
You turned $75K of net dollars into $100K gross 401K dollars
Market crashes, it’s now $50K. Income drops, tax bracket drops. You pay 20% on a $50K capture, roll it into a Roth, same mutual fund, it recovers back to $100K, you can grab half penalty free whenever you want, since it’s a qualified contribution, the rest is growth for another day. Sure, it’s really only 90 but when the RMD’s come around you will be glad you did this. And best of all, the conversion is like a taxable investment in terms of access but the growth is tax free!
It’s like a hybrid taxable tax deferred tax fraud account
There has to be a better way to explain that.

I’ve been trying to figure out how I can take advantage of this waving of the 10% penalty and additional 3 years to pay income tax on it. And can I deduct losses against ordinary income?
And will the stock market drop lower from people taking their money out of their 401k’s that they otherwise would not have?

#5765 9 months ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Post #5753 with the video of the guy who has his diploma in the background as validity that he is a doctor......did anybody notice that the
bookcase with the fancy gilded books on the shelves is a poster? Who hangs a poster of a bookcase up behind them? A real doctor? A person who really likes books but can't afford them?
I'm not hating on the guy but it just struck me as a little odd.

I also noticed that, but nevertheless the information is good.

#5766 9 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

But actually, they only released some internal service manual documentation. No drawings, 3D files, software, firmware, mechanical designs, PCB layouts, BOM, etc. There are no files available that could lead directly to producing the product.

Not really sure why they would even put any of it out, save to show people that you aren’t going to one day just start building full-featured reliable devices because you have a motivation to. What good does a BOM (parts-list) do without a source for all 10,000+ of the exact parts mentioned? Just silly.

If people think they can build a quick and dirty ventilator that can help, they should do it. But trying to create bad guys out of the medical device companies is just wrong.

Full disclosure: Medtronic is the company I currently work at.

#5767 9 months ago

"We have top men working on it right now"

wi5ddh2di0fm.gif
#5768 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

As a society we're quickly learning that things we've been told were impossible to do are actually very possible.

And that things that aren’t very important actually are very important. And vice versa in many cases.

That “homemade style” vent project and other creative measures occurring in various areas, shows just how human ingenuity rises to the occasion. And surprisingly enough, it seems to works just fine even if a bunch of money isn’t the prize. All one has to do is focus on the right things, collaborate, and go for it.

Ben Heck right now is probably working on something amazing!

#5769 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That “homemade style” vent project and other creative measures occurring in various areas, shows just how human ingenuity rises to the occasion. And surprisingly enough, it seems to works just fine even if a bunch of money isn’t the prize. All one has to do is focus on the right things, collaborate, and go for it.

I hope you’re right about this.

#5770 9 months ago

Someone always has it worse than you.

Migrant workers sprayed with disinfectant in one Indian state
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/india/india-migrant-workers-sprayed-intl/index.html
200330125029-01-indian-migrant-workers-disinfectant-spray-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg

#5771 9 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

It’s morning again in America

It’s morning again in America - day 2

#5772 9 months ago

Did anyone else really needed a haircut when this whole thing started and now it’s completely out of hand?

#coronavirusinconveniences

#5773 9 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’ve been trying to figure out how I can take advantage of this waving of the 10% penalty and additional 3 years to pay income tax on it. And can I deduct losses against ordinary income?
And will the stock market drop lower from people taking their money out of their 401k’s that they otherwise would not have?

Seems like this is a "roth conversion ladder" without the 5 yr wait.

I dont think you "write off" the loss per se, you just pay tax on the conversion, which is wise to do before recovery IMO

fyi I am not an expert but I think I'm right

#5774 9 months ago

I need a Haircut....My wife will be watching videos today....Im scared!

#5775 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll fix this.[quoted image]

heyyyyyy nice Skill-Roll!

#5776 9 months ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Did anyone else really needed a haircut when this whole thing started and now it’s completely out of hand?

Just beware the spouse haircut.

#5778 9 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I've been cutting my own hair for years now. Cutting is an overstatement, running the clippers over my own hair for years is more accurate.

#5779 9 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

I hope you’re right about this.

Well, me too. But it seems that time and time again throughout history we humans rise to the occasion. We saw birds once and now fly heavy machinery across the sky and into space.

Also, this gave me a chuckle:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/25/821605995/a-funny-talking-dog-gives-tips-on-living-right-during-the-coronavirus-crisis

E9F150F8-5C6A-4F4F-B147-F4089C803928 (resized).jpeg
#5780 9 months ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Yes, actually.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You're lucky. Mine is ready to jump right in.

Quoted from Oaken:

Just beware the spouse haircut.

When she brought up the idea I informed her I would be returning the favor!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#5781 9 months ago

So, if this little virus originated in bats in China, should we be worried it jumping to bats locally where it could jump back after we are done isolating? What jumps out in my mind is the bat bridge in Austin but I'm sure there are other localized areas where mankind and batkind are close.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#5782 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Well, me too. But it seems that time and time again throughout history we humans rise to the occasion.

Yep. Sometimes easier to only focus on the dumb-assery... as there is a lot of it too.

#5783 9 months ago
Quoted from rkahr:

So, if this little virus originated in bats in China, should we be worried it jumping to bats locally where it could jump back after we are done isolating? What jumps out in my mind is the bat bridge in Austin but I'm sure there are other localized areas where mankind and batkind are close.
-Rob

None of this will ever be over until we have a vaccine. Then it will be over.

#5784 9 months ago
Quoted from rkahr:

-Rob

Dont believe china.

#5785 9 months ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've been cutting my own hair for years now. Cutting is an overstatement, running the clippers over my own hair for years is more accurate.

Now the hair is so little that I just bic it in the shower. I haven’t payed for a haircut in decades.

#5786 9 months ago
Quoted from rkahr:

-Rob

A jump back into animals usually doesn’t happen but I suppose it could. More common is a continued mutation cycle in the original animal host and then another jump into humans with a different strain of virus.

#5787 9 months ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Me! I’m going to look like Grizzly Adams by the time my barber reopens. If he reopens.

#5788 9 months ago

Investment tip, surge in sales coming!

#5789 9 months ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

This is wrong, AGAIN.

Evolution does not state that the young survive while the old and sick die. That’s just life.

Evolution states that an organism that can adapt to a change in environment survives while one that can’t adapt or adapts less well dies out.

So a good example of evolution would be if an organism failed to recognize the change in environment or wasn’t intelligent enough to recognize the change and then died due to the change. Examples I can think of are college kids who went to a COVID party or congregated on a beach in Florida and then contracted coronavirus. Also, someone who refuses to accept the reality of this pandemic and goes about their business without any regard for their own well being or that of others.

#5790 9 months ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

None of this will ever be over until we have a vaccine. Then it will be over.

I quickly see a world where this is liken to chicken pox. Everyone will get it sooner of later....flatten the curve....spread out the rare of infection. This isn’t to reduce the number of sick, it’s to reduce the number of sick all at once. Sooner or later we’ll start having conversations like this with friends.

“did you get the covid yet?”
“Oh ya, I had it six months ago, it was the worst.”
“I’m glad your well, my aunt just got it. I don’t think she’ll make it.”

Don’t be fooled. A vaccine will not come quick enough for most. Millions will die. Either it’s over 3 months or 3 years. The push to make ventilators won’t save all the lives. Currently if your bad enough to be put on a ventilator, then you have less then a 20% chance of making it through. The death rate of infected is much higher then China ever reported.

Stay home. Be safe

#5791 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Evolution states that an organism that can adapt to a change in environment survives while one that can’t adapt or adapts less well dies out.

Evolution is inevitable. Your ability to adapt is not.

#5792 9 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I quickly see a world where this is liken to chicken pox. Everyone will get it sooner of later....flatten the curve....spread out the rare of infection. This isn’t to reduce the number of sick, it’s to reduce the number of sick all at once. Sooner or later we’ll start having conversations like this with friends.
“did you get the covid yet?”
“Oh ya, I had it six months ago, it was the worst.”
“I’m glad your well, my aunt just got it. I don’t think she’ll make it.”
Don’t be fooled. A vaccine will not come quick enough for most. Millions will die. Either it’s over 3 months or 3 years. The push to make ventilators won’t save all the lives. Currently if your bad enough to be put on a ventilator, then you have less then a 20% chance of making it through. The death rate of infected is much higher then China ever reported.
Stay home. Be safe

Agree for the most part. If I (we) can hold out long enough then there will be better, more standardized methods of treatment. That is my goal anyway, to hold out until the pharmaceuticals and doctors catch up. The whole world of scientist are working on this. #1 priority. Something good is coming. And then the vaccine a while later.

#5793 9 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Investment tip, surge in sales coming!

well, it sure does suck

#5794 9 months ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Agree for the most part. If I (we) can hold out long enough then there will be better, more standardized methods of treatment. That is my goal anyway, to hold out until the pharmaceuticals and doctors catch up. The whole world of scientist are working on this. #1 priority. Something good is coming. And then the vaccine a while later.

This. This initial wave of infections will have a higher mortality rate vs subsequent waves. We will figure out the optimal way to treat COVID patients to minimize the death rate. Drugs will be found that help during severe infections.

Flatten the curve now and buy our medical system some time to get their feet under them.

#5795 9 months ago

I’ve played enough Plague inc. on my iPad to know that covid-19 is a winning game. The objective of that game is to infect the world before people find a cure.

I heard the game has been removed from app stores in China because it was causing too much fear.

If you have never played it. Give it a try. It’s a fun strategy game and might be eye opening for some on what we’re in for.

#5796 9 months ago

You know the old saying, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun the other guy running the bear? I think that holds true with this. I am 100% sure I will get the Kung Fu Flu. I am 100% sure you as the reader of this will also get the Kung Fu Flu. However, I am hoping that by the time it's my turn, treatment options will be better. Even if 90% of folks don't need medical care, doctors around the world are tackling this issue with varying levels of resources and approaches. Eventually, someone will figure out how to reduce the mortality rate, and I hope to catch it after that time.

Even if they don't supply of PPE and medical equipment will slowly catch up with demand. Some parts of NYC already have an infection rate in the single digits. If their rate of growth continues, everyone will have had it in those areas within a month... and within another month those who caught it and had bad reactions will be off of ventilators one way or another. Medical resources used there to fight the virus can be transferred elsewhere, along with the handful of doctors that didn't get sick, or those who were sick or recovered.

We will get through this. It will suck, but we will get through it. In the meantime, be safe folks.

#5797 9 months ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Why is everything "how old you are" or "age" related with you? That assumption has been proven untrue at this point. The maturity level of your posts are ponderous as to why you would even say such things unless its a poor attempt at trying to be funny or outrageous.

#5798 9 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve played enough Plague inc. on my iPad to know that covid-19 is a winning game. The objective of that game is to infect the world before people find a cure.
I heard the game has been removed from app stores in China because it was causing too much fear.
If you have never played it. Give it a try. It’s a fun strategy game and might be eye opening for some on what we’re in for.

I guess there will be a pin too..

#5799 9 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

Yep. Sometimes easier to only focus on the dumb-assery... as there is a lot of it too.

I’ve always preferred the term “ass-hattery” myself!

But I like to think we humans are capable of great things. That’s why I have such high expectations and get so disappointed sometimes.

#5800 9 months ago

"When asked if Covid-19 will spur unionization, I first said no—how can you unionize when there's social distancing & u can't even meet

But now I realize so many workers are angry about how their companies handled Covid19, it's spurring lots of organizing"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/opinion/coronavirus-worker-strike.html

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 179.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Various Other Swag
Circus Maximus
$ 179.99
$ 24.95
Tools
Magaro Machines
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rods Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 21395 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 428.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside