272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 576.
#5701 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Have you seen pictures of people out and about in China and South Korea? Every last one of them is wearing a mask. There doesn’t seem to be a shortage there.

Yes. It can help if many wear mask during an event like this but we need to save the mask we have for the medical professionals and those who are sick. The reason I mentioned next time is because there is no way we will have enough mask for everyone this time. I hope we never have another pandemic but if we do we HAVE to be ready for it and limit the damage.....

#5702 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Are you eating 6 meals a day, or what?? Lol
FYI...im extremely jealous!!!

And no.

Two bowls of Crispix with half and half midday, and what's on the plate. Of course I did a sampling while putting it together.

#5703 4 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

There are better things the government can do with that money to take care of the people.

Such as?

#5704 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Another? We are not through this one yet.

What exactly are you trying to say? That I am not worried about the current situation? Or that we could never have another pandemic. I have been way ahead of the curve on this crisis and how serious it is. Have you?

#5705 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I agree with the pay, but disagree with the generalization on stores making a killing. With reduced hours, supply chain issues, and people afraid to go out, our business is now down quite a bit.

After the initial hording it was bound to taper off. Imports from China have been up the past few weeks through Los Angeles port because they were ramping up production again from both Chinese New Year normal slowdown and the virus shutdowns. My prediction is that we will see imports start to drop again and continue through the end of the year. Strong imports have been a pretty good indicator of a strong economy.

#5706 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

What are those flappy things? Sinuses?

You might want to ask PantherCityPins but I'm guessing you're right.

#5707 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Pretty funny reading this thread and the talk of getting fast food, eating in restaurants, shopping etc. I cracked up at all those exceptions to the lockdown in Dallas that someone posted - “big box retail” can open? WTF! Pointless.
Here’s what’s happening in New Zealand.
Last Weds 11.59pm - the whole country was locked down for 4 weeks.
- Every store is closed - except supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and a couple of others, all operated on a one out - one in basis. No burgers. No coffee shops. No Walmart type stores. Nothing. All closed. No buses or trains either.
- People shopping stand 2m apart, no direct contact with employees.
- everyone is staying at home. If you want some exercise, you can walk around the block but keep 2m away from anyone.
- government is paying employers $580 a week subsidy for each employee to cover three months work. My brother owns a furniture store with a number of staff - he filled in a form Tuesday and had $60,000 in his account Wednesday.
- pretty much everyone is doing as they have been told. Anyone who doesn’t makes the National news and gets shamed out - like just before, we had the prime minister saying “some guys went in a group to a store to buy mince pies!” Lol.
- Internet usage is running at almost full capacity
- Three days in (its Saturday here) the infected numbers only increased the same as yesterday - ie it didn’t double. 80 more cases yesterday, 80 more today. Too early to tell, but that’s positive.
- no deaths here so far. Only 2 in intensive care, both with existing conditions to complicate things.
- almost all the 450 existing cases are from people who came here from overseas. Either kiwis returning after vacation, or tourists.
- government flagged that even if our 4 week lockdown is a success, overseas travel might be out for 12-18 months.
Lots of time on our hands to fix pinball machines ...
Here’s Auckland busiest motorway yesterday:
rd[quoted image]

So, following up on my post from the other day ...

We went into “nationwide lockdown” ... like, real lockdown ... last Weds 25th at midnight.

Appears it is working, as the numbers of new cases are trending downward.

Of course, it takes some days for a test to be completed so some of these new cases would have been tested some time ago.

Full details and data are here - very interesting. Pretty much all the cases have come in from overseas. Good reporting.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/31-03-2020/coronavirus-charts-and-graphics/

rd

D17CD958-BB97-444C-8F25-822883A94EC6 (resized).jpegD17CD958-BB97-444C-8F25-822883A94EC6 (resized).jpeg
#5708 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Last year, I got a raise after 7 years from $15 an hour to $16 an hour. And my Christmas bonus was my boss forgetting to leave me my regular paycheck.
Best job I've ever had and been there longer than any others.

You sound like a very happy, contented man who is completely at peace with the world.

#5709 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

What exactly are you trying to say? That I am not worried about the current situation? Or that we could never have another pandemic. I have been way ahead of the curve on this crisis and how serious it is. Have you?

No slight intended Extra. You are doing your best, thats all anyone could ask.

#5710 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Fat chance of that around here. My last speeding ticket was about 6 years ago. I was driving to the hospital to see a patient who was actively coding. I sped up to pass a car and the cop was sitting right where the speed limit went from 50 to 45. He gunned me doing 53 in the 45 as I passed the car. He pulled me over, I explained I was a physician on my way to the hospital in an emergency and showed him my ID badge. His response? "License and registration sir."
What an a-hole.

Around here that are called hot-head tickets. A cop missed getting a speeder because I was coming from the wrong direction and he got PO'd and wrote me a ticket. I went down town and saw the assistant DA. I told what happened and she signed me off. I had a cousin on the force at the time and he told me I got a hot-head ticket.

You get ticketed again on a coding run, I would implore you to go downtown and talk about it. Might work, might not, but you have to ask. All that can be said is "no".

#5711 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You sound like a very happy, contented man who is completely at peace with the world.

Except for those damn leaf blowers of course.

#5712 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We went into “nationwide lockdown” ... like, real lockdown ... last Weds 25th at midnight.

So when are you coming this way again? Nothing's changed at casa o-din.

#5713 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

No slight intended Extra. You are doing your best, thats all anyone could ask.

No harm done then. Stay safe.

#5715 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#5716 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Pretty much all the cases have come in from overseas. Good reporting.

Far reaching but honest assessment of the situation. Thanks!

#5717 4 years ago

The odin cooking channel was a nice break

#5718 4 years ago

Thank you sir. All I can do at this point is what I know I can do.

I'm going to try to master Mexican food next, but that is a whole different ballgame.

#5719 4 years ago

Say, with all of this money going out, where all da millionaires be?

#5721 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

What are those flappy things?

That's what some people call flippers.

#5722 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The odin cooking channel was a nice break

I'm waiting on his sushi show.

#5723 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Virginia issues stay-at-home order until mid-June.

Well, time to take a long walk around the block again.

#5724 4 years ago

I saw a guy on the news make a homemade ventilator with PVC pipe he got at Home Depot.

#5725 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I saw a guy on the news make a homemade ventilator with PVC pipe he got at Home Depot.

I liked the guy who made the face shield/mask out of a two liter plastic bottle too.

#5726 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I think they would have better off getting this money to unemployment agencies to ensure it gets to the right people. Those being people losing jobs right now that may have problems paying for rent/mortgage and/or food.

Fiscal responsibility is not a prime part of this On-Steriods money pump. If you filed with the IRS last year, then The Federals have all the info. they need to send a direct deposit to your bank. No muss. No fuss. It will be fast--well as fast can be--it gets some walking around money into the hands that need it. And even then, they say 3 weeks.

It is not state-unemployment. It is Federal. A gift. It will not go far in New York but there are a lot of places in the midwest where $1200.00 will put a roof over a frugal person for 3 to 6 months.

Add the state unemployment agencies into the mix, trying to get up to speed while adding another layer of govt. and confusion to the dog pile, and you will watch time slow down. And those people losing jobs right now will get to wait a little longer. And also cross their fingers that they "are one of the right people".

The Federals way of doing this is the way to get the best bang for the buck. Simple. One transaction. From the U.S. Treasury to your bank account. No questions asked.

Nothing is 100%. Some people are going to get lost in the dust. There will need to be work arounds.

One transaction is simple. And easy to trace.

#5727 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So, following up on my post from the other day ...
Appears it is working, as the numbers of new cases are trending downward.
Of course, it takes some days for a test to be completed so some of these new cases would have been tested some time ago.
Full details and data are here - very interesting. Pretty much all the cases have come in from overseas. Good reporting.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/31-03-2020/coronavirus-charts-and-graphics/
rd[quoted image]

The numbers could be misleading as we haven't been testing enough and who are are testing was limited. If they are still good in a week we should be sweet. It's looking good but we're not there yet.

#5728 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

The numbers could be misleading as we haven't been testing enough and who are are testing was limited. If they are still good in a week we should be sweet. It's looking good but we're not there yet.

Good luck boys we are all pullin for ya!

#5729 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

there are a lot of places in the midwest where $1200.00 will put a roof over a frugal person for 3 to 6 months.

Really? I need to find a place like that.

#5730 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This has nothing to do with anything but over 20 years ago I had a small, A-frame house all to myself for $200 a month in Central, SC (utilities included)

#5731 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

For sure.

But outside of the cluster areas (as per the linked article) its pretty unlikely that anyone locked in their houses and not leaving at all will be catching anything ...

Quoted from o-din:

So when are you coming this way again? Nothing's changed at casa o-din.

I bet! Always good times at the Casa ...

I doubt anyone will be allowed to leave or enter New Zealand for at least a year. So our next visit will be some time away ...

rd

#5732 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I feel like fn Graham Kerr today.

The Galloping Gourmet!

#5733 4 years ago

Medtronics announced that it open-sourced its ventilator design:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/30/medtronic-is-sharing-its-portable-ventilator-design-specifications-and-code-for-free-to-all/

But actually, they only released some internal service manual documentation. No drawings, 3D files, software, firmware, mechanical designs, PCB layouts, BOM, etc. There are no files available that could lead directly to producing the product.

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/30/professional-ventilator-design-open-sourced-today-by-medtronic/

#5735 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Don’t forget that the US made good $ on the GM bailout. I still won’t buy their cars though. My first new car was a Pontiac and I became a permanent “nope” on GM cars when my friend closed the door and pulled off the armrest, shrugged, handed it to me and said “um...here, sorry”.

GM is ball buster now days. This old school stuff. I would not touch a GM made anything after 4 years ago. Now days with the quality. Man you talking a less than 10th of human hair and line gets shut down. Then the CSI investigation starts in. Hold parts do your CSI thing. All I'm staying I make GM parts and would own GM car or truck. They as good as Toyota or anyone else. You asked me 6 years ago..I would told run you from a GM! I told you to run dammit! Don't give that shit that deer into the headlights look!

#5736 4 years ago

There is a choir spreading incident (washington I think) that unfortuantely alligns with this

#5737 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

What are those flappy things? Sinuses?

Turbinates. Basically ridges inside the nose that help to direct air flow and increase surface area for moisturizing and warming the air as it enters the nose.

Sinuses are contained inside the skull.

#5738 4 years ago

I'll fix this.

DSCN6757 (resized).JPGDSCN6757 (resized).JPG
#5740 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200331-003807~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200331-003807~2 (resized).png
#5741 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I’m sure there are plenty of meth dens in the Midwest that will be more than happy to take you in for $250 a month. Just don’t pay in advance. Expect to pay double that on the coasts. They will supply you with a soiled mattress and a bucket. Don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

#5742 4 years ago

Man that swab goes deep. Remind me not to blow through a bag of booger sugar with one of those covid19 testers.

The stimulus shit is bogus. Just extend unemployment or give it some juice. Sending checks to anyone under a certain income level regardless of hardship is weird.

Pisses me off they cap the income too. I guess workers above that level get unlimited quantitative easing to protect their portfolio tho.

One weird thing is the ability to capture 401k dollars without penalty.

When the market is down and your income is down that puts you in a great spot to manipulate deferred taxes significantly. Especially if you roll into a Roth.

Let’s say, to keep things simple, you put $100K into a 401K to avoid 25% tax

You turned $75K of net dollars into $100K gross 401K dollars

Market crashes, it’s now $50K. Income drops, tax bracket drops. You pay 20% on a $50K capture, roll it into a Roth, same mutual fund, it recovers back to $100K, you can grab half penalty free whenever you want, since it’s a qualified contribution, the rest is growth for another day. Sure, it’s really only 90 but when the RMD’s come around you will be glad you did this. And best of all, the conversion is like a taxable investment in terms of access but the growth is tax free!

It’s like a hybrid taxable tax deferred tax fraud account

There has to be a better way to explain that.

#5743 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

Yes, virtual world has become the name of the game. I thought they did a decent job with NASCAR last weekend. As long as it's limited to the highlites.

#5744 4 years ago

This thread needs more incentive.

#5745 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200331-012352~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200331-012352~2 (resized).png
#5746 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Man that swab goes deep. Remind me not to blow through a bag of booger sugar with one of those covid19 testers.
The stimulus shit is bogus. Just extend unemployment or give it some juice. Sending checks to anyone under a certain income level regardless of hardship is weird.
Pisses me off they cap the income too. I guess workers above that level get unlimited quantitative easing to protect their portfolio tho.
One weird thing is the ability to capture 401k dollars without penalty.
When the market is down and your income is down that puts you in a great spot to manipulate deferred taxes significantly. Especially if you roll into a Roth.
Let’s say, to keep things simple, you put $100K into a 401K to avoid 25% tax
You turned $75K of net dollars into $100K gross 401K dollars
Market crashes, it’s now $50K. Income drops, tax bracket drops. You pay 20% on a $50K capture, roll it into a Roth, same mutual fund, it recovers back to $100K, you can grab half penalty free whenever you want, since it’s a qualified contribution, the rest is growth for another day. Sure, it’s really only 90 but when the RMD’s come around you will be glad you did this. And best of all, the conversion is like a taxable investment in terms of access but the growth is tax free!
It’s like a hybrid taxable tax deferred tax fraud account
There has to be a better way to explain that.

That is the longest speech you ever wrote Curly. Relax, and watch it all play out like the rest of us.

#5747 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’m sure there are plenty of meth dens in the Midwest that will be more than happy to take you in for $250 a month. Just don’t pay in advance. Expect to pay double that on the coasts. They will supply you with a soiled mattress and a bucket. Don’t ask me how I know. Lol.

Your infatuation with dogging the Midwest is weird Vic. What's so bad about the Midwestern states?

#5748 4 years ago

Summary of a paper published in The Guardian (UK) summarizing findings published by UK scientists in The Lancet (a famous medical journal) and providing updated stats on % casualty, hospitalization...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/new-coronavirus-study-reveals-increased-risks-from-middle-age
Covid-19 danger jumps from middle age

The first comprehensive study of Covid-19 deaths and hospitalisations in mainland China has revealed in stark detail the increase in risk for coronavirus patients once they reach middle age. Four per cent of infected people in their 40s needed hospital treatment, as did more than 8% of patients in their 50s. More than 18% of those in their 80s and above needed hospitalisation after catching the virus. Only 0.04% of 10 to 19-year-olds had to go into hospital if infected.

Full paper downloadable at https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930243-7

#5749 4 years ago

Now some stats about confirmed positive cases vs age:

Australia:

21% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
16% of cases are aged 30 to 39
31% of cases are 60 or older

New Zealand:
26% of confirmed cases are aged 20 to 29
14% of cases are aged 30 to 39
21% of cases are 60 or older

US:
29% were aged 20 to 44
18% were aged 55 to 64
25% were aged 65 to 84

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/australians-in-their-20s-have-more-confirmed-cases-of-coronavirus-than-any-other-age-group

#5750 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Say, with all of this money going out, where all da millionaires be?

What a pointless video

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.