272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 576.
#6501 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Welcome to the party! This was discussed yesterday.

oh gosh was it related to Qanon? The guy who did it seems to be one of those guys. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/QAnon (I'd normally say don't read up on this stupidity, but when their mania bleeds into the headlines....)
After what conspiracy people did to the parents of Newtown whose kids were murdered, I have no tolerance for conspiracy people and their reckless fantasies. And now trying to use a train to attack a hospital ship!!! Goddamn.

#6502 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I agree with you however arguing on a pinball website about politics accomplishes none of those objectives.

Fair but driving effective engagement regardless of forum is worthwhile. I belong to lots of communities, but there are few that we can exchange ideas as efficiently as forums and social media. If this was some random thread about the new Iron Man code, you’d be totally right. This is about a bigger idea and government effectiveness is imperative to us being successful.

#6503 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

China is old news.
We are the boss now.

We're combatting it now but ultimately, this virus started there and could have been contained much better if not for lack of transparency about the breakout and attempts to downplay its severity for several months.

Sorry, a big part of this global pandemic story is and always
will be China.That isn't political, it is just a fact.

#6504 4 years ago

Our country was totally unprepared...and it goes back many years and decades. Public and private.

To sit and armchair quarterback the how’s and why’s is making weather forecasters look like spot on geniuses! And I’ve never seen one of them fired. Lol

#6505 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Our country was totally unprepared...and it goes back many years and decades. Public and private.
To sit and armchair quarterback the how’s and why’s is making weather forecasters look like spot on geniuses! And I’ve never seen one of them fired. Lol

I politely disagree. Here is a Joe Biden op-Ed in USA Today. Not from today. Not from March. Not from February. It’s from January. It’s worth a read. It makes him seems like Tony Romo-esqe Nostradamus of pandemic response.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/27/coronavirus-donald-trump-made-us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/

Edited because I came up with something clever.

#6506 4 years ago

is making weather forecasters look like spot on geniuses

Weather forecasts are incredibly accurate. Like, a 5-day forecast is accurate 90% of the time to within a rather limited set of tolerances, which is AMAZING because we're literally using science to predict the future.
The scientific research and the math modelling that goes into weather forecasting is some of the most cutting-edge practical applications of super computers and bleeding-edge math research. It's an astonishingly cool field.

#6507 4 years ago

Nice little short read, if it wasn't posted yesterday. Numbers are for the UK but some interesting numbers:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

#6508 4 years ago

One thing about weather forecasts I learned is that when they say 50% chance of rain, it doesn’t mean there is a 50% chance of rain in your area, it means they project 50% of the viewing area of their station will get some sort of rain that day.

#6509 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

But yet, we aren't supposed to discuss them on a thread about coronavirus.

Now is the time to evaluate where we are presently and look forward...there will be plenty of time down the road to look back and learn from our decisions and actions like we always do. Looking back right now and placing blame does not help save one life moving forward.

#6510 4 years ago

One thing about weather forecasts I learned is that when they say 50% chance of rain, it doesn’t mean there is a 50% chance of rain in your area, it means they project 50% of the viewing area of their station will get some sort of rain that day.

Huh...that is an interesting distinction I wasn't aware of.

#6511 4 years ago

It depends where they have their environmental monitoring equipment, the timespan they are speaking about, and the geographic area that the forecast is going to cover.
The more monitoring stations, the more specific the geographic locale you can predict for, and if you zoom into periods smaller than 24 hours, it becomes even more useful.

The idea of a TV station having their own monitoring gear at the station and relying on that to come to their predictions for that immediate spot is a thing of the past.

#6512 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Huh...that is an interesting distinction I wasn't aware of.

He is correct. So a 25% chance of rain means 25% of the viewing area will see rain, and the other 75% would not. At least that is their prediction.

#6513 4 years ago

it doesn’t mean there is a 50% chance of rain in your area, it means they project 50% of the viewing area of their station will get some sort of rain that day.

I have actually heard one of our local guys use that exact terminology, sure helped not get sooo mad when my specific area did or did not get what was forecast. After all the Houston AREA is rather large!

#6514 4 years ago

When I learned that distinction I was like “Oooohhhhh!” It was a mind blown moment,lol.

#6515 4 years ago

Georgia thankfully just went to stay-at-home yesterday. Apparently it seems some people are just now starting to get it.

‘We Didn’t Know That Until the Last 24 Hours’: Georgia Gov. Says He Just Found Out People Without Symptoms Can Spread Coronavirus

https://news.yahoo.com/didn-t-know-until-last-122146774.html

#6516 4 years ago

If you have to start a post by saying “No politics”, you’re probably about to make a political post...

It's kind of like when you start a sentence with, "No offense, but ...". Clearly, you are about to say something offensive.

#6517 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Georgia thankfully just went to stay-at-home yesterday. Apparently it seems some people are just now starting to get it.
‘We Didn’t Know That Until the Last 24 Hours’: Georgia Gov. Says He Just Found Out People Without Symptoms Can Spread Coronavirus
https://news.yahoo.com/didn-t-know-until-last-122146774.html

That seems like someone with incompetent people around him if he just now figured that out - or he's lying.

#6518 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That seems like someone with incompetent people around him if he just now figured that out - or he's lying.

both

#6519 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Weather forecasts are incredibly accurate. Like, a 5-day forecast is accurate 90% of the time to within a rather limited set of tolerances, which is AMAZING because we're literally using science to predict the future.
The scientific research and the math modelling that goes into weather forecasting is some of the most cutting-edge practical applications of super computers and bleeding-edge math research. It's an astonishingly cool field.

Weather forecasting is clearly more advanced in Canada than here in the US.

#6520 4 years ago

I am all for someone starting a basement thread, D vs R, and all political sides can argue to their heart's content there. I also think it would be an effective tool for the moderators to use by referring people there when things get squirrely. Which they often do and all over Pinside. You guys could really cut loose there rather than playing cute with the moderators.

It would be my great pleasure to put that thread on ignore.

#6521 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would think you would have to be living under a rock not to have known that asymptomatic carriers can spread the virus. This fact has been all over the news since before it even hit our country.

#6522 4 years ago
8D339E4B-3FF8-4980-9323-DB087497DF63 (resized).jpeg8D339E4B-3FF8-4980-9323-DB087497DF63 (resized).jpeg
#6523 4 years ago

There are going to be a lot of leaders in this country on both sides of the aisle that are going to have some serious ‘splainin to do when this is all over.
Having said that, let’s be on the same team right now. It’s not the time for finger pointing.

Maybe along the same line but I disagree on the time line. I thinks all citizens regardless of political persuasion should be pointing their fingers at their elected officials and demanding the truth .

for instance " I have not heard of problems with testing in weeks"

in our area testing is pretty much limited to very ill or high risk patients. due to testing backlogs results can take up to a 5 days to come back.. How is availability of testing in your area?

#6524 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I am all for someone starting a basement thread, D vs R, and all political sides can argue to their heart's content there. I also think it would be an effective tool for the moderators to use by referring people there when things get squirrely. Which they often do and all over Pinside. You guys could really cut loose there rather than playing cute with the moderators.

Not going to happen. It's been proven time and again that political discussions just turn combative and cause problems. Pinside is for pinball, not politics. If you want to engage in political discussions, there are plenty of other places available for that.

#6525 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It's not going to happen. If you want to discuss politics, that's what reddit is for.

#6526 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not going to happen. It's been proven time and again that political discussions just turn combative and cause problems. Pinside is for pinball, not politics. If you want to engage in political discussions, there are plenty of other places available for that.

Quoted from gweempose:

It's not going to happen. If you want to discuss politics, that's what reddit is for.

Jinx! Buy me a coke!

#6527 4 years ago

He is correct. So a 25% chance of rain means 25% of the viewing area will see rain, and the other 75% would not. At least that is their prediction.

cant go wrong with " partly cloudy, 20% chance of showers "

#6528 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I completely agree with you. When the basement first came into being years ago they were all sorts of different features. A slam tilt section, a pinsider deathmatch section. It would be a good place to put perhaps a couple of politics sections. I would hope there would be some actual nuanced discussion regarding policies and perhaps God forbid some understanding of one another. but they're also could just be a shouting area as needed to get people to vent. I would hope that it would tamp down some of the coy sniping that has permeated the threads for quite a while.

Edit: apparently the idea is not popular among the pinside staff.

#6529 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Jinx! Buy me a coke!

I think I just got tag team moderated.

#6530 4 years ago

I'm thinking it's another great day not to go into work.

#6531 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking it's another great day not to go into work.

I think I've asked you this before, but did you even work when you went into work?

#6532 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I think I've asked you this before, but did you even work when you went into work?

It required getting out of bed and driving 5 miles.

#6533 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from gweempose:

This thread alone has proven it isn't feasible. We have allowed some politics in the context of quotes and helpful information, but it has spurned numerous abuse reports, ejections, and countless arguments. People just can't help themselves.

There is a reason why most bars and clubs don't allow political and religious talk. Those subjects (along with money) tend to get people riled up to the point they can't see straight.

#6534 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It required getting out of bed and driving 5 miles.

Years ago I had a break fix job where I was on call 24/7 on salary, but only worked maybe 3 hours a month. (It was a great job). I used to get up, walk to the living room, look at my wife, stretch, grab the remote, turn on the tv and say 'time to go to work' and plop down on the couch. Man she hated that. lol.

#6535 4 years ago

Glad I'm not into politics. I usually watch the elections like a sporting event where my team isn't involved.

#6536 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I feel It’s important that everyone try to spend a bit more time finding good sources of news. My rule of thumb is the easier it is to consume, the worse it is for you. Print > TV > Some rando with an opinion on Facebook

I use the Google News phone app for a few reasons, but the main one is when you click on an article then bounce back out, it right away also shows you the same news story but from a totally different source. This little feature alone has let me easily see bias in various news sources, and clearly see how the same story can easily get reported in a very different manner to suit an agenda. It has also let me find endless new sources of news, many that I never heard of before. You can also block any news sources you want so stories from those sources never appear in your feed again.

#6537 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Years ago I had a break fix job where I was on call 24/7 on salary, but only 'worked' maybe 3 hours a month. (It was a great job). I used to get up, walk to the living room, look at my wife, stretch, grab the remote, turn on the tv and say 'time to go to work' and plop down on the couch. Man she hated that. lol.

Yesterday was great.

It was like a throwback to the 90s where I didn't have a job for a while but was working on my friend's car in the driveway.

Then we got pizza, drank beer, played pinball, and watched Soylent Green. That movie was supposed to take place right about now. 2022 to be exact. All the people wearing masks was kinda surreal.

#6538 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This thread alone has proven it isn't feasible. We have allowed some politics in the context of quotes and helpful information, but it has spurned numerous abuse reports, ejections, and countless arguments. People just can't help themselves.
There is a reason why most bars and clubs don't allow political and religious talk. Those subjects (along with money) tend to get people riled up to the point they can't see straight.

Who has been tattling ?!
tenorsnitches.giftenorsnitches.gif

#6539 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I would hope there would be some actual nuanced discussion regarding policies and perhaps God forbid some understanding of one another. but they're also could just be a shouting area as needed to get people to vent. I would hope that it would tamp down some of the coy sniping that has permeated the threads for quite a while.

I agree with you in terms of the "hope". But if reality has shown us anything over the last few years, what would more likely happen, is grudges and bad blood and childish acts would spill over into the rest of the site. You think people complain about / engage in stalking, sniping, and downvote bombing now? AHHAHAHA it's but a petting zoo compared to what would happen!

Ergo, politics belongs on a politics site. Period. And if you ["the collective you" not "Swainer80 only"] are so eager for political discourse, before asking for a politics thread here (or anywhere else) maybe you should ask yourself, "Gee, hmm, why *aren't* I on one of those politics sites...?"

(Ah, just imagine a world where you could get political forums talking about pinball, and ask them to open a subforum there...!)

#6540 4 years ago

1. 20% is statistically insignificant? I disagree.
2. Go back and read my posts on ARDS.

I understand principle of ARDS. Question is at less then 20% survival, why is this 1st or 2nd on list for inadequate resources? How confident are we the ventilator made the difference? With the inherent risks of putting someone on a ventilator, demand on staff, length of time on ventilator - I don’t see this being viable if we get hundreds of thousands of cases. We don’t have infinite resources of ventilators or ventilator trained staff in all corners of USA.
What is survival rate with oxygen and sedation?

#6541 4 years ago

UPMC doctors say they have created a COVID-19 vaccine that has successfully vaccinated mice. Mice successfully developed antibodies after 2 weeks.

EDIT: Much better article here:

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/region/2020/04/02/Pitt-team-makes-progress-on-possible-COVID-19-vaccine/stories/202004020135

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/upmc-doctors-say-theyve-developed-coronavirus-vaccine.html

#6542 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

What is survival rate with oxygen and sedation?

The survival rate of an ARDS patient without ventilation is basically zero.

Without mechanical ventilation I think you would see an additional 2500-5000 deaths in the next two weeks. Maybe one of the statistics guys can come up with the math.

#6543 4 years ago
6AB2A12A-665A-44CF-8CE9-A2737A52B8C7 (resized).jpeg6AB2A12A-665A-44CF-8CE9-A2737A52B8C7 (resized).jpeg
#6544 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Nice little short read, if it wasn't posted yesterday. Numbers are for the UK but some interesting numbers:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

This is very likely true for people that die from influenza too. Since lots of folks are comparing the death rates of the two they need to stay consistent.

#6545 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I actually disagree with this summary. I’m a former journalist that attended one of the best j schools in the nation. No longer in the profession. (The pay and hours are AWFUL.). There are two types of journalists. One is a generalist that typically works in TV or a more entertainment driven medium. Those folks are prone to the mistakes you’re talking about. The other type is your typical print journalist that works a beat. These folks at the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and your local newspaper get close to being experts and understanding the nuance of their beat or knowing enough credible sources to help them parse through the information.
I feel It’s important that everyone try to spend a bit more time finding good sources of news. My rule of thumb is the easier it is to consume, the worse it is for you. Print > TV > Some rando with an opinion on Facebook

Pretty much this. And good publications spend a lot of time and effort on research and fact checking, etc. most people aren’t experts on anything, so why that should e the responsibly of a reporter or investigative journalist makes no sense. What you want in a journalist is integrity. It doesn’t matter if they have an opinion on something, or vote a certain way. That shouldn’t disqualify anyone as a responsible journalist. Or anything else for that matter.

#6546 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

for instance " I have not heard of problems with testing in weeks"

That statement by Trump was SO disingenuous. You can't even hide under a rock these days without hearing about testing issues.

#6547 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I understand the why's of it. You see how quickly people start being nasty to each other. I have a strict no politics and religion rule with family get togethers too...but then I also have a strict no family get togethers rule..so..

My family rules. We all agree more or less on everything politically. There’s like one cousin in St Louis we can’t stand but that’s strictly Facebook.

#6548 4 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

That statement by Trump was SO disingenuous. You can't even hide under a rock these days without hearing about testing issues.

You have to get out your decoder ring to translate such exaggerations, clearly he meant in the past 5 minutes.

#6549 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

You have to get out your decoder ring to translate such exaggerations, clearly he meant in the past 5 minutes.

If he had what that guy in Momento had, it make sense of many many things...

#6550 4 years ago
91877934_2668860846668705_6213490094330871808_n (resized).jpg91877934_2668860846668705_6213490094330871808_n (resized).jpg
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/131 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.