Topic Stats

• 21,385 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,078 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20210121_121739.jpg
20210121_121719.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Dentalchair_a (resized).png
ADEF9814-41EB-4103-A43B-2BB7443A3537 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210118-233900~2 (resized).png
victoria (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.33.30 AM (resized).png
Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
20210116_224325 (resized).jpg
20210116_224251 (resized).jpg
20210116_124545 (resized).jpg
E83B3B92-61CB-4D19-89B8-27605BD16F17 (resized).jpeg
AAA4A17D-1C6A-4489-AB08-FDF9811493D3.gif
Capture d’écran 2021-01-15 à 13.49.41 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.47.46 PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

140 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 21395 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 428.
#4851 9 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s Cyd (for Cyd Charisse) demonstrating how to quarantine. She spends at least half the day in this spot, and in this position.[quoted image]

Great name! And what an epic dish. I need more distractions like this:

D5DEF743-7551-4EE3-A0D7-127D25AA9019 (resized).jpegAAF07965-F4A8-4E23-8FEE-3D57931F70C4 (resized).jpegE0ED9859-B952-4FE9-827C-B05B27D4BB95 (resized).jpegFBF20FDA-525D-4AEF-8D12-069309F83D4D (resized).jpeg
#4852 9 months ago
Quoted from rkahr:

isfBob on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/isfBob , brought to my attention by this thread) posted this graphic last night - it shows the US trend line is one of the steepest in the world. He also has state-by-state trendlines in the other posts from last night.
[quoted image]
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

One thing to remind ourselves is that there is a lot of lag time with this virus. Changes we make today might not payoff in the stats for 2 weeks, so please everyone don't get discouraged and feel like all of this drastic action is for nothing.

#4853 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

This would cause severe burns in the trachea. Remember, UV light is what causes sunburns.

Not if exposure was limited. Think micro-dosing. Many treatments introduce unpleasant side effects (Chemotherapy) but through clinical trials the proper UV exposure necessary to alleviate the virus could be determined. I don't feel it could all be eliminated.

#4854 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Great name! And what an epic dish. I need more distractions like this:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wow, are those your signed photos?

#4855 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

OMGosh what a (socially responsible) cutie. And I love Cyd Charisse! here is a blog post I did about the arcade in The Band Wagon, and at the end I have a video of one of my favourite routines with Charisse. http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/01/exploring-penny-arcade-of-band-wagon.html

I’m going to read this and watch the video!

#4856 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

wow, are those your signed photos?

I wish! But then again, not really, because that would make me really, really old! Instead of just old.

#4857 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People are angry and anger drives opinion.
Those who have been paying attention for weeks are still furious this was allowed to happen.
People who are just getting the point now are newly angry and looking for someone to blame besides those who refused to prepare us properly for this and told us for months this was not a big deal and everybody should stop whining about it.

8D592B70-FE98-45D2-869C-E03108C2A88C (resized).jpeg
#4858 9 months ago

I'm not aware of any current research on this topic. The real issue with severe COVID-19 is ARDS which isn't a mucus problem. It's a lung stiffness problem. The air sacs of the lungs need to be stretchy to be able to inflate and deflate as you breathe. If they get inflamed and stiff you end up with very high airway pressures and difficulty with gas traveling across the membranes of the lungs to let CO2 out of the blood and O2 in. Eventually this problem can advance to the point we can't adequately ventilate the patient even with extreme measures like proning or high frequency oscillator vents.

Sounds like the symptoms of stage 4 emphysema at an accelerated pace where the lungs loose all elasticity. Regardless of the amount of flow in it can't be pushed out, only this virus adds the extra element of disrupting oxygen absorption on a much higher scale. Is that a fair analysis doc?

#4859 9 months ago

Ran across an article pertaining to Business interruption Insurance. Some local restaurants to me were paying for this additional insurance and being denied . ( covid 19
insurance co says not an act of God, but a Tornado is lol)

Nice little read about changes to be/could be added for Covi19 to have it included on insurance. NY NJ

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/business-interruption-insurance-coverage-and-covid-19

#4860 9 months ago

There shouldn't be any blame placed on NY, but state lockdown is a pretty good idea. That means ALL states, not just NY. If they locked down the provinces in Canada, I'd applaud it. Everyone is saying "stay the fuck home," so locking down states should only affect losers that want to travel, relocate etc. etc.

Just like Crooked Hillary (political joke, not statement - meant to be neutral for a laugh - haha from left and right and centre - funny)

Lock-them-up!
Lock-them-up!
Lock-them-up!

#4861 9 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Today’s Faheed Zacharia GPS show on CNN was one of the better shows on in recent days. Very insightful and sobering. I believe it will be replayed at 1pm eastern/noon central.

Well....Cuomo’s “daily hear himself talk” and post-conference analysis has preempted this airing. Maybe check later tonight they will re-air this. Faheed has the Prime Minister of Singapore on. Very insightful.

#4862 9 months ago

I had an acquaintance at UNC- Chapel Hill Oliver Smithies, he would have been a good one to cross a new idea with, sadly he passed away a few years ago.
Trying to reach another Scientist there with this idea, worth a shot.

#4863 9 months ago

A quick video of Denver these days.

#4864 9 months ago

Couple of shots in a Rookwood in Norwood Ohio.

Rockwood2 (resized).pngRookwood (resized).pngRookwood1 (resized).png
#4865 9 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not if exposure was limited. Think micro-dosing. Many treatments introduce unpleasant side effects (Chemotherapy) but through clinical trials the proper UV exposure necessary to alleviate the virus could be determined. I don't feel it could all be eliminated.

The problem is microdosing won’t hurt the virus either. Not only that but only the large airways are accessible via bronchoscope so you couldn’t even get to the smaller airways and alveoli where the infection is.

It’s a non-starter.

#4866 9 months ago

Well....Cuomo’s “daily hear himself talk” and post-conference analysis has preempted this airing. Maybe check later tonight they will re-air this. Faheed has the Prime Minister of Singapore on. Very insightful.

You really think Cuomo holds these daily briefings to hear himself talk? As opposed to giving very sober, fact based information to his state? And the country actually, because while it happened here first, it’s coming soon to a city near you! Cuomo’s information could be quite informative and helpful. But maybe you’re relying on other sources?

#4867 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

Hannity is an entertainment & opinion show, we shouldn't be using it in this thread regardless of politics. It's just like The View.

The View is at least 30 times worse than being subjected to non stop finger nails on chalk board for a week straight...

#4868 9 months ago
Quoted from RWH:

Sounds like the symptoms of stage 4 emphysema at an accelerated pace where the lungs loose all elasticity. Regardless of the amount of flow in it can't be pushed out, only this virus adds the extra element of disrupting oxygen absorption on a much higher scale. Is that a fair analysis doc?

Same end effect but very different mechanisms.

Emphysema is a result of cigarette smoke destroying the alveoli (tiny air sacs) in the lungs. So you lose surface area for gas exchange and become hypoxic.

ARDS is where the alveoli are still intact but the membranes themselves are thickened and inelastic, making them not usable for meaningful gas exchange and thus you lose effective surface area.

#4869 9 months ago

All I know is if last night and Little Caesars can't kill me, nothing will.

#4870 9 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Chicago has had the advantage of time, while I know this area will get crushed, there’s already large shuttered hospitals that are reopened and more in the works as we speak, and again Illinois was one of the first states to put the clamps down, hoping for the best and trying to stay positive here.
I honestly don’t care about anyone’s politics, we’re all here because we have one thing in common, the love of pinball. Stay safe everyone!

#4871 9 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

A better way for you to stay skinny is maybe cut back on the booze intake,

I have found Jack Daniels to be much easier on my figure than beer.

#4872 9 months ago

”far-UVC light cannot penetrate even the outer (non living) layers of human skin or eye; however, because bacteria and viruses are of micrometer or smaller dimensions, far-UVC can penetrate and inactivate them. We show for the frst time that far-UVC efficiently inactivates airborne aerosolized viruses, with a very low dose of 2mJ/cm2 of 222-nm light inactivating >95% of aerosolized H1N1 infuenza virus. Continuous very low dose-rate far-UVC light in indoor public locations is a promising, safe and inexpensive tool to reduce the spread of airborne mediated microbial diseases. “

From an article in Nature

This proposal does not seek to completely remediate the virus from all parts of the lungs, but could eliminate the large clusters shown in the main airway from x-rays of patients.

#4873 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

You sure it isn't "you can't see your waist as well on Jack Daniels"?

#4874 9 months ago

All I know is everyday I wake up waiting for this bug to hit, but find myself disappointed.

#4876 9 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

”far-UVC light cannot penetrate even the outer (non living) layers of human skin or eye; however, because bacteria and viruses are of micrometer or smaller dimensions, far-UVC can penetrate and inactivate them. We show for the frst time that far-UVC efficiently inactivates airborne aerosolized viruses, with a very low dose of 2mJ/cm2 of 222-nm light inactivating >95% of aerosolized H1N1 infuenza virus. Continuous very low dose-rate far-UVC light in indoor public locations is a promising, safe and inexpensive tool to reduce the spread of airborne mediated microbial diseases. “
From an article in Nature
This proposal does not seek to completely remediate the virus from all parts of the lungs, but could eliminate the large clusters shown in the main airway from x-rays of patients.

With all due respect, you don’t get it.

The article you cite is talking about inactivating viruses in the air. NOT inside the lungs. Bleach also inactivates viruses in the environment but no one is suggesting that you aerosolize bleach and have patients inhale it. You will KILL the patient.

#4877 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Jack was my friend of choice last night...he didn’t help my pinball skills at all...but I wasn’t thinking about the virus so mission accomplished.

#4878 9 months ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Jack was my friend of choice last night...

As I sip the first glass and hit my speedbag in the garage, I say to myself "die virus, die".

Although I had a guest over last night, I'm not sure I'll make a very good host.

#4879 9 months ago

The article you cite is talking about inactivating viruses in the air. NOT inside the lungs. Bleach also inactivates viruses in the environment but no one is suggesting that you aerosolize bleach and have patients inhale it. You will KILL the patient.

The article I cite shows a type of UV light that kills the virus without harming skin that is effective in micro doses. I see no reason why this could not be used to alleviate clusters in the main airway in a safe manner.
Think outside the box.
Said nothing about drinking bleach, where did that straw man come from?
You said it would cause burns Solved
You said micro doses would not work Solved

#4880 9 months ago

Exactly. If I could give more than 1 thumbs up I would.

I appreciate the intent of the original idea. It’s good to have creative out of the box ideas, but sometimes they turn out to be bad ideas.

#4881 9 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The article I cite shows a type of UV light that kills the virus without harming skin that is effective in micro doses. I see no reason why this could be used to alleviate clusters in the main airway in a safe manner.
Think outside the box.

OMG. I’m done with this conversation.

Taking a form of chloroquine intended for fish tanks is a better idea than this and where did that guy end up.

Inhaling bleach isn’t a straw man, it’s a adequate analogy. Both proposed treatments would cause severe burns to the endothelial lining of the lungs and make an already life threatening situation worse.

And again, topical therapy to the lining of the trachea and major bronchi does NOTHING for the small airways and alveoli where the virus is causing the problem.

#4882 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You really think Cuomo holds these daily briefings to hear himself talk? As opposed to giving very sober, fact based information to his state? And the country actually, because while it happened here first, it’s coming soon to a city near you! Cuomo’s information could be quite informative and helpful. But maybe you’re relying on other sources?

Yes. He drones on and on at times.

#4883 9 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The article I cite shows a type of UV light that kills the virus without harming skin that is effective in micro doses. I see no reason why this could be used to alleviate clusters in the main airway in a safe manner.
Think outside the box.

Because your skin cells and lung/throat cells are entirely different. One of Your skins’ main purpose in life is radiation protection.

#4884 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

All I know is everyday I wake up waiting for this bug to hit, but find myself disappointed.

Lets hope then you wake up every day disappointed.

#4885 9 months ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Because your skin cells and lung/throat cells are entirely different. One of Your skins’ main purpose in life is radiation protection.

Also, just think of all the medicines that are topical use only. Or how many are ingestion only. Lungs are super duper sensitive. You can’t mix and match meds like that.

#4886 9 months ago

Has anyone 3D printed their own masks? Please PM me if you have. I have some questions.

#4887 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

As I sip the first glass and hit my speedbag in the garage, I say to myself "die virus, die".
Although I had a guest over last night, I'm not sure I'll make a very good host.

Uhm. That's not how social distancing works lol

#4888 9 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

It was just Julie (Newmar), Jack (Daniels), and myself, we had a good time even though I usually play like shit when I drink. I couldn’t get to the 3 wizard modes to save my life!

#4889 9 months ago
Quoted from RWH:

Lets hope then you wake up every day disappointed.

I'm also disappointed I never have one of those hangovers people speak of.

#4890 9 months ago

To set the tone, I thought Bill was paranoid because I hadn't heard from him for a week. But he had been working his ass of in construction. So he showed up, at least one of us got drunk, and we played pinball until Star Trek was over. Frontier must have been the last game, because I could still hear the crickets long after he was gone.

#4891 9 months ago

Yes. He drones on and on at times.

I mean, he may, but a certain someone just bragged on Twitter about the ratings he’s getting on his press conferences, so . . . .

Which one is the bigger narcissist? Gotta play both sides on this one if Cuomo is getting criticism.

#4892 9 months ago

Hope I’m a bad host if any damn covidz come looking to party with me

#4895 9 months ago
Quoted from chad:

The View is at least 30 times worse than being subjected to non stop finger nails on chalk board for a week straight...

no lies detected. And Hannity / Tucker Carlson is on par, just for a different demographic. "Infotainment" garbage for people addicted to conspiracy theories and outrage. Alex Jones does the same thing as Carlson and Hannity, just with contemporary kayfabe.

#4896 9 months ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Why does a ventilator cost $24000. Is it that complicated to make?

When you manufacture things to medical-grade or military-grade standards, costs escalate quickly

#4897 9 months ago
Quoted from jhanley:

$20,000 is about what the market cost is for a fully featured vent.

#4898 9 months ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Low volume, high tooling costs, nice profit, low competition, tech support, training are all contributing factors.

#4899 9 months ago

My friend's wife's grandfather invented the hepafilter and now it all belongs to her and her siblings. How are those stocks looking these days? I know those two can't be hurting right now.

#4900 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

When you manufacture things to medical-grade or military-grade standards, costs escalate quickly

If you think those are bad, try building something for NASA. They believe in the true definition of “frozen process”.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 39.95
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 49.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 218.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 360.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.99
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 21395 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 428.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside