272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 576.
#6701 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Thanks! Think of all the traffic accidents not happening. I would imagine shootings and knife injuries are down as well.

Someone posted a graph showing the decrease in overall deaths earlier in this thread. I wonder if they can post an updated one for us.

#6702 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Just because they were all singing doesn't necessarily mean the virus was transmitted airborne. Respiratory droplets can be created when coughing or clearing the throat. In addition, singing itself is a very different activity vs talking. There is much more air being forced from the lungs so you could consider the possibility that a higher amount of virus was placed into the air. There are cases of physicians contracting coronavirus from intubating a patient or doing a bronchoscopy where large amounts of virus is put into the air. Similar situation.
Also a choir is in very close proximity to each other and likely are touching each other or common surfaces intermittently which is another possible mode of transmission.

I mean, we weren’t there. So who’s to really say how much direct contact they had with each other?

How much does a virus weigh, exactly? I think your argument is that cigarette smoke travels between distances that the virus cannot. Why? Does the virus weigh more and simply falls to the ground? Or the virus dies during travel? I’m meerily curious, as my simpleton mind thinks smoke transmission would also permit virus transmission.

#6703 4 years ago

I guess we could go down the rabbit hole of what ifs all night if we wanted to.

Would it be theoretically possible to transmit coronavirus by standing in front of an opera singer who had it? I guess, it's possible.

I will say the amount of smoke it takes in the air to allow your nose to pick up the smell is WAY less than the probable needed amount of virus to transmit a disease.

Let's not get crazy people.

#6704 4 years ago

I guess we could go down the rabbit hole of what ifs all night if we wanted to.
Would it be theoretically possible to transmit coronavirus by standing in front of an opera singer who had it? I guess, it's possible.
I will say the amount of smoke it takes in the air to allow your nose to pick up the smell is WAY less than the probable needed amount of virus to transmit a disease.
Let's not get crazy people.

I’m just trying to understand the hard facts. People recommend six feet distance. Based on what? Or maybe we just don’t know? That’s ok too, just trying to u defat and the facts.

#6705 4 years ago

What makes this virus difficult is that there isn’t many facts on it, first time we’ve seen it, good luck on the guessing game.

#6706 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’m just trying to understand the hard facts. People recommend six feet distance. Based on what? Or maybe we just don’t know? That’s ok too, just trying to u defat and the facts.

6 feet is based on the usual radius for respiratory droplet travel.

I understand the reasons behind your questions and they are good reasons. The reality though is that this virus has been around for about 4 months that we know of. We just don't have the data to determine exactly how likely it is to transmit one way vs the other so we go off of what other coronaviruses do and what we know of this one so far.

The best thing you can do to prevent transmission is wash your hands religiously, don't touch your face and limit your exposure to other people outside your own home.

#6707 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

What makes this virus difficult is that there isn’t many facts on it, first time we’ve seen it, good luck on the guessing game.

Yep, it’s is and will continue to be a learn as we go process.

#6708 4 years ago

Just because they were all singing doesn't necessarily mean the virus was transmitted airborne. Respiratory droplets can be created when coughing or clearing the throat. In addition, singing itself is a very different activity vs talking. There is much more air being forced from the lungs so you could consider the possibility that a higher amount of virus was placed into the air. There are cases of physicians contracting coronavirus from intubating a patient or doing a bronchoscopy where large amounts of virus is put into the air. Similar situation.
Also a choir is in very close proximity to each other and likely are touching each other or common surfaces intermittently which is another possible mode of transmission.

I have a question. I know your not suppose to touch your face BUT, let's just assume that your cheek or chin or forehead is itching, is it safe to scratch your face like that occasionally? I understand you shouldnt touch your mouth, rub your eyes, or pick your nose but would you get coronavirus by scratching your cheek or forehead if it was itching?

#6709 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have a question. I know your not suppose to touch your face BUT, let's just assume that your cheek or chin or forehead is itching, is it safe to scratch your face like that occasionally? I understand you shouldnt touch your mouth, rub your eyes, or pick your nose but would you get coronavirus by scratching your cheek or forehead if it was itching?

If you touched a surface that had coronavirus on it and then touched your cheek or chin then yes it's possible you could get it.

Don't touch your face while you are out in public and wash or sanitize your hands after you touch any public surface. If you are inside your home and have washed your hands since coming in from the public then it should be ok to touch your face at that point.

It's hard, I never knew how much I touched my face during the day until now!

#6710 4 years ago

I read an article suggesting that certain individuals, for unknown reasons, seem to aerosolize the virus more than most.

#6711 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I read an article suggesting that certain individuals, for unknown reasons, seem to aerosolize the virus more than most.

Dirtbags

#6712 4 years ago

The best thing you can do to prevent transmission is wash your hands religiously, don't touch your face and limit your exposure to other people outside your own home.

Reminds me of the old joke.

“Doc, what can I do to reduce my chance of a heart attack?”
“Well, you could eat better, stop smoking those cigars and get some exercise for a change.”
“Okay, but what else could I do?”

#6713 4 years ago

If you touched a surface that had coronavirus on it and then touched your cheek or chin then yes it's possible you could get it.
Don't touch your face while you are out in public and wash or sanitize your hands after you touch any public surface. If you are inside your home and have washed your hands since coming in from the public then it should be ok to touch your face at that point.

Years ago when I was still running bars/restaurants I took a management level food safety course. At the beginning of the class they picked a few people randomly and dusted their hands with a non visible substance. Towards the end of the 8 hour course they brought those people up and shined a UV light on them that showed where their hands had been. Everyone's head/face/hair was pretty much covered in the stuff, as was much of the rest of their bodies.

#6714 4 years ago
D1AB0C24-1425-4117-968B-E76506AECF7F (resized).jpegD1AB0C24-1425-4117-968B-E76506AECF7F (resized).jpeg
#6715 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man people should lay off smoking and vaping right now.
I’m sticking with edibles.

Sucks cause vaping so much quicker.

#6716 4 years ago

I learned just after high school how many germs you can really pick up just by touching your face.

In high school I had acne problems on the sides of my head at eye level. I also had a habit of resting my head on my hand while sitting at a school desk. For years now, I made it a habit to avoid touching my face with my hands at work and was only certain to do it if my hands were recently washed. I havent had ance problems since. Never needed to invest in acne "cures" or face wipes or anything. All it took was a realization.

I can only imagine how difficult it is for some people to get into the habit of not touching their face, not knowing how dirty their hands really are. Hopefully they have a realization too.

#6717 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man people should lay off smoking and vaping right now.
I’m sticking with edibles.

Having a few and rockin' the Centaur is one of my favorite momentary escapes from all of this.

#6718 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

eeeeeeeep look at the deaths in France:
Mar 30: 418
Mar 31: 499
Apr 1: 509
today so far: 1355

If you click on the links with the stats for each country sometimes it has further data. Sad news either way, but it explains the massive jump in numbers overnight.

79C354FB-EB65-40C9-9F89-A35082B5D24A (resized).jpeg79C354FB-EB65-40C9-9F89-A35082B5D24A (resized).jpeg
#6719 4 years ago

So much partisan BS here. I wish you all well, but yeah personal and family seriously at risk here.

#6720 4 years ago

Some breaking local news: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-food-bank-raises-170k-in-one-day-with-donations-from-wu-tang-clan-shopify-exec-1.5520004

Ottawa Food Bank raises $170K in one day with donations from Wu-Tang Clan, Shopify exec

#6721 4 years ago

Country and state infection trends w/timeline animation. Pardon if already posted.

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

#6722 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

An excerpt of John's Hopkins information. "The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (rna) covered by a layer of lipid (fat) which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and convert them into aggressive and multiplier cells. Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, it decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies. The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a tiny layer of fat. That's why any soap or detergent is the best remedy. Because the foam cuts the fat, that's why it the best remedy and why you have to wash for 20 seconds". As a family member scientist told me and I mentioned earlier, humidity is a factor. This explains a few things. I have been, but now know why 20 seconds of hand washing is important.

The cure was right under our noses the whole time!!

E176740F-7470-42D9-8973-71C4802E4F83.gifE176740F-7470-42D9-8973-71C4802E4F83.gif
#6723 4 years ago

It’s almost like we are all gonna get it...then it’s 50/50 if we survive it or not. That’s what it seems like to me....

#6724 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s almost like we are all gonna get it...then it’s 50/50 if we survive it or not. That’s what it seems like to me....

more like 98/2

#6725 4 years ago

Just watched a new study that is stating case fatality rate between 0.2-1.2% might be a turn in the tide.

#6726 4 years ago

There is no way we can keep this lock down going for more then a few months. If we don't have a vaccine ready by then. You can bet the second coming is going to be much. much worse.

#6727 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Country and state infection trends w/timeline animation. Pardon if already posted.
https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

quality visual tool, thanks for sharing. I like that you can choose your countries.

#6728 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

more like 98/2

You are right but for us older pinheads you are wrong. The death rate for people 50 and over is much higher than the 2% death rate for the entire population.

#6729 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

more like 98/2

92B8295E-ABF9-4853-BFD3-A6DE654CAC3A (resized).jpeg92B8295E-ABF9-4853-BFD3-A6DE654CAC3A (resized).jpeg
#6731 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Just watched a new study that is stating case fatality rate between 0.2-1.2% might be a turn in the tide.

any idea on the odds distribution by age? Since the talk here is of age 50+ being more susceptible I wonder what the new estimated fatality rate is for those ages.

#6732 4 years ago

In other news. Just found out today one of my workers isn't coming back to work. Setting it out. So far I know of 5 people at our store that called it quits. Funny because they all were younger people. Guess they really didn't need to jobs. Not sure if they just took the voluntary layoff and getting unemployment or not. That could cause a dilemma if we keep losing younger workers since about half of our workforce are in the late teens early 20's.
Oh, and we got face shields provided now. So wearing that also.

#6733 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

In other news. Just found out today one of my workers isn't coming back to work. Setting it out. So far I know of 5 people at our store that called it quits. Funny because they all were younger people. Guess they really didn't need to jobs. Not sure if they just took the voluntary layoff and getting unemployment or not. That could cause a dilemma if we keep losing younger workers since about half of our workforce are in the late teens early 20's.

Are you all still working? I think lots of people just don't want to needlessly expose themselves, even if it means walking away from a job. It's HARD to do that, to give up a paycheque, but younger people tend to have less major/serious commitments, and so it might be easier to adapt to the situation with friends.
The real tragedy is everyone who has no choice but to work while this all unfolds, exposing themselves to potential risk.

#6734 4 years ago

It was a total calculation of Italy and their numbers, no age ranges but their older population comes into the tally. The study was from a London school that is figuring the non-confirmed case total as a whole country vs the fatality number.

#6735 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Are you all still working? I think lots of people just don't want to needlessly expose themselves, even if it means walking away from a job. It's HARD to do that, to give up a paycheque, but younger people tend to have less major/serious commitments, and so it might be easier to adapt to the situation with friends.
The real tragedy is everyone who has no choice but to work while this all unfolds, exposing themselves to potential risk.

The problem is that while you can just take voluntary layoff during this, they don't have to keep your job for you if they haven't shut down/been forced to shut down. Maybe some rules around that will change, but at this time it seems to be that way.

#6736 4 years ago

They don't cough here in Australia, they just spit on police

#6737 4 years ago

21A2093B-F90D-4468-B474-2534AA7C0B46 (resized).jpeg21A2093B-F90D-4468-B474-2534AA7C0B46 (resized).jpeg
#6738 4 years ago

Shoulda left those fuckers in the sand box where they came from.

#6739 4 years ago

Wow high class

#6740 4 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

She's pissed....too bad the video didn't go on longer....she deserved what she had coming

#6741 4 years ago

This link seems to be a good source for daily infections and death rates and change from day to day:

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/usa

#6742 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

At 53 and having 12 years in, I’m going no where. I’ll have to ride it out the best I can. I look at every day as this could be the day I pick up something that can kill me. So being extremely cautious.

#6743 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[quoted image]

I spat my drink out laughing

#6744 4 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

#6745 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

At 53 and having 12 years in, I’m going no where. I’ll have to ride it out the best I can. I look at every day as this could be the day I pick up something that can kill me. So being extremely cautious.

Good luck, I hope you are safe. I wish you didn't have to take that risk.

#6746 4 years ago

Dark thoughts: if something happened to you, are all your papers in order? Your will, bank accounts, credit cards, power of attorney, DNR, organ donations, etc? I dotted all the Is and crossed the Ts earlier this year.
One thing I'm also doing is making sure my partner knows someone she can trust for getting rid of my arcade stuff. Someone we can trust to handle all the logistics and put things out for fair prices, so she wouldn't have to deal with it all.
Wondering if anyone else has done the same?

#6747 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Dark thoughts: if something happened to you, are all your papers in order? Your will, bank accounts, credit cards, power of attorney, DNR, organ donations, etc? I dotted all the Is and crossed the Ts earlier this year.
One thing I'm also doing is making sure my partner knows someone she can trust for getting rid of my arcade stuff. Someone we can trust to handle all the logistics and put things out for fair prices, so she wouldn't have to deal with it all.

I think everyone should have a will. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

#6748 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Good luck, I hope you are safe. I wish you didn't have to take that risk.

Thanks, wish none of us were going through this. We should have had one of the biggest years in new pinball releases in a while. Instead of arguing about politics and could haves and would haves. We should be arguing on how many coils and shots our new favorite game has. This just blows.

#6749 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Nope. I’ll be dead, so bye bye. I worked my ass off for my family...my kids are adults now. My wife was also an adult last I checked, so she can figure out my meager possessions. We came from nothing, we go unto the same.

#6750 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Not dark thoughts but being realistic. I just had my aunt make me executer of her will so we sat down and went over everything with my stuff. The only thing she would have an issue with is my collection. I've already told her if needed whom to contact to help organize and arrange the sales of the games. Scary times they are.
Forgot to mention she upped my life insurance policy to 2 mil. Might be the reason she keeps inviting friends over to the house.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/135 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.