272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 576.
#5901 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

wait, Pepsi is disgusting! Make it a coke.

Mexican Coke. Real sugar and no virus.

I blame this all on high fructose corn syrup.

#5902 3 years ago

Interesting article.....A highlighted passage:

Millions of masks are being purchased by foreign buyers and are leaving the country, according to the brokers, while the domestic need remains alarmingly high.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2020/03/30/i-spent-a-day-in-the-coronavirus-driven-feeding-frenzy-of-n95-mask-sellers-and-buyers-and-this-is-what-i-learned/#337f92aa56d4

#5903 3 years ago

Edited: my apologies for responding to the troll.

#5904 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mexican Coke. Real sugar and no virus.
I blame this all on high fructose corn syrup.

Christ on a cracker man...how’s your avatar ocd doing?

#5905 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Ignore him he is a troll and not worth the time.

#5906 3 years ago

Can I get some antibiotics? I think I have the flu.

#5907 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can I get some antibiotics? I think I have the flu.

No, but you can get a vaccine.

#5908 3 years ago

Looks like Fredo has tested positive. So far so good and let's hope he throws that virus down the stairs.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/media/chris-cuomo-coronavirus/index.html

#5909 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

No, but you can get a vaccine.

Isn't it a little late for that?

I think most doctors prescribe antibiotics for viral infections once they start up.
Don't know what I'm going to do when I get a serious bacterial infection.

#5910 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Does anyone else find themselves watching the sign language person? I zone out on whoever is speaking and am fascinated trying to figure out the signs.[quoted image]

I figured out WTF watching one the other day...

#5911 3 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

It's frustrating to say the least. Many here don't get the magnitude of the situation. One thing we do have going for us is very low population density.

Still a very bad idea to go forward with that type of event right now. Along with low density comes fewer healthcare providers, hospital beds, and ventilators.

You'd think other states would learn from what happened to Louisiana with Mardi Gras, etc. The fair seems like the perfect place to start a North Dakota breakout.

#5912 3 years ago

Quoted from o-din:

That's been popular around here for some time.[quoted image]

Nice, now cook us pinsiders up some food. Please!

#5913 3 years ago

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

[comment removed]

#5914 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He is appealing to my never going to see doctors train of thought.
Let's get some more prescriptions for antibiotics to cure all these viruses.

Viruses are not biotics.

#5915 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Nice, now cook us pinsiders up some food. Please!

I'm just having a porterhouse steak on the BBQ tonight, but I will be glad to share.

After I make the rounds to all my doctors so I can see what kind of drugs and antibiotics I can procure.

#5916 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Isn't it a little late for that?
I think most doctors prescribe antibiotics for viral infections once they start up.
Don't know what I'm going to do when I get a serious bacterial infection.

Prescribing antibiotics for viral illnesses is a problem that doctors are trying to police. It’s really driven, in my opinion, by patients who demand antibiotics despite the doctor telling them it won’t work. I’ve seen it way too many times in my own practice. It’s not an excuse, the doctor should be able to stand up to the patient and say no but in today’s consumer satisfaction driven healthcare market that’s often a tough choice.

#5917 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

So I have been trying to understand the following from the beginning of this. Once again, in no way am I trying to minimize the seriousness of the situation we are in and 100% agree with all of the precautions and steps we are doing to fight this and in many ways could be doing more. This is not meant to be provocative, I am just looking for some understanding...
Statistics from the 2018-2019 flu season in the US... https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
35,500,000 illnesses (influenza)
16,500,000 medical visits
490,600 hospitalizations
34,200 deaths
CDC estimates up to 62,000 flu deaths for the 2019-2020 season.
Statistics thru March 30th for COVID-19 in the US...
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
140,904 cases (COVID-19)
2,405 deaths
I realize these numbers will continue to go up, but we haven’t even scratched the surface of yearly flu numbers and I hope and pray we don’t. Another thing that made me think is that flu numbers are this high and that is WITH available flu shots and treatments. What would flu numbers be without our years of research and experience in dealing with it?
Also, why don’t we take the same precautions (e.g. social distancing) we are currently taking with the coronavirus each year with the flu? It’s almost as if we have just given up on fighting the flu and accept the tens of thousands of deaths each year here in the US. Will the coronavirus become part of our society just like the flu? Will people go out and get their yearly flu and coronavirus shots?
Any insight from anyone would be appreciated as this really has confused me from the start. Pinside Doc...any thoughts???

Because this isn't the flu and it is showing to be 10-35x deadlier. Most of us already have some built up immunity to flu viruses along with a vaccine that helps most that get it. It is also a lot more contagious due to lack of immunity with the potential to overwhelm hospitals.

If we don't contain, well over half of the country could get this in the next 6-8 months and you'd likely see deaths in the millions

#5918 3 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Actually you’re wrong. Show me your stats here. Vast majority. Pretty sure last time I checked, you didn’t cure anything. So quit grandstanding

He is a certified doctor of internal medicine who I can personally verify and vouch for since he is an actual real-life friend of mine.

#5919 3 years ago

PantherCityPins here you go Barney Fife

http://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/49/1/1.2

You guys were busy decreasing human life before Corona came along

Facts

#5920 3 years ago

It’s really driven, in my opinion, by patients who demand antibiotics despite the doctor telling them it won’t work.

So the doctor who knows best prescribes them anyway.

You guys are gods!

#5921 3 years ago

Prescribing antibiotics for viral illnesses is a problem that doctors are trying to police. It’s really driven, in my opinion, by patients who demand antibiotics despite the doctor telling them it won’t work. I’ve seen it way too many times in my own practice. It’s not an excuse, the doctor should be able to stand up to the patient and say no but in today’s consumer satisfaction driven healthcare market that’s often a tough choice.

My wife’s number one pet peeve. She won’t do it. Patients get pissed and leave negative feedback. Then she gets called in for having sub optimal feedback numbers.

#5922 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

My wife’s number one pet peeve. She won’t do it. Patients get pissed and leave negative feedback. Then she gets called in for having sub optimal feedback numbers.

Prescribe those folks some Obecalp !

#5923 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yeah, I feel her pain. In my practice I really try to gain the trust of my patient so when I tell them they don’t need a particular medication I have a better chance of them going with my advice. I’m sure your wife does the same. It doesn’t always work.

#5924 3 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Actually you’re wrong. Show me your stats here. Vast majority. Pretty sure last time I checked, you didn’t cure anything. So quit grandstanding

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

pinball_gizzard here you go Barney Fife

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

It sucks being a parking lot security guard doesn’t it?

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#5925 3 years ago

Just got done wiping down $500 worth of grocery's because the wife watched some mother fucking facebook post. China back to opening with their fucking live animal markets. Mod's - Mod away:
FUCK CHINA!

#5926 3 years ago

Permaban, finally.

#5927 3 years ago

3/31 NY Governor's briefing

Highlights:
-2 missions:
--support the battle in the hospital system.
--social responsibility: stay home, don't get infected, or you will just place an unnecessary burden on the hospitals
-hospital staff need relief; they are physically & emotionally exhausted, but this situation will continue
-hospital system needs to be completely reorganized to be more cooperative between facilities & regions
-The normal commercial rules of competition need to be overridden in the hospital system
-transfer upstate hospital staff downstate
-transfer patients from highly impacted hospitals to less impacted hospitals & field hospitals
- Stay at home. Stupid decisions don't just affect you. You can infect others and cause serious illness and even death by your actions.
-Even as an essential worker, if you are out there, your chance of getting infected is very high
-No plan yet for what happens after the 90-day moratorium on evictions ends for residents who would owe rent.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5928 3 years ago

Moderation Notice:

I am absolutely NOT having any misinformation/lies spread on this thread.
Pinball_Gizzard (Rick) is a certified doctor of internal medicine and a personal friend of mine that I fully vouch for. You can absolutely take what he says to the bank.

If ANYONE has a personal problem with anything he says about this subject or any related healthcare questions pertaining to it, you had better PM him first or send a moderator feedback thread to even ask first.

I will NOT tolerate it from anyone.

#5929 3 years ago
Funny-Doctors-Medical-Memes-104-5b4daafddbea0__700 (resized).jpgFunny-Doctors-Medical-Memes-104-5b4daafddbea0__700 (resized).jpg
#5930 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

They get pissed until they take them unnecessarily and end up with a c-diff infection. My wife got c-diff after surgery several years back and my dad last year from antibiotics due to reoccurring UTI's.

It isn't pretty and is increasingly common after use/overuse of antibiotics. My dad failed all antibiotics to treat the C-diff and had to have a fecal transplant 3 months ago. Fortunately, that last line therapy appears to be working.

Don't take antibiotics unless you need to and it is likely to work (i.e. bacterial).

#5931 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

They get pissed until they take them unnecessarily and end up with a c-diff infection. My wife got c-diff after surgery several years back and my dad last year from antibiotics due to reoccurring UTI's.
It isn't pretty and is increasingly common after use/overuse of antibiotics. My dad failed all antibiotics to treat the C-diff and had to have a fecal transplant 3 months ago. Fortunately, that last line therapy appears to be working.
Don't take antibiotics unless you need to and it is likely to work (i.e. bacterial).

Yes the overuse of antibiotics is the coming storm in healthcare. I was at a conference a year or so ago and an infectious disease guy did an entire lecture on the topic. Bacteria don’t like getting killed any more than we do and they WILL figure out a way to survive. It’s a balancing act to use the antibiotics we do have judiciously so we can buy time to develop new antibiotics and hopefully stay one step ahead of the bacteria.

#5932 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Patients get pissed and leave negative feedback. Then she gets called in for having sub optimal feedback numbers.

I take my Yelp reviews with a lump of sugar and a grain of salt.

#5933 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So the doctor who knows best prescribes them anyway.
You guys are gods!

No we’re humans who can and do make mistakes. I’m not saying it’s right and it is something I think the medical community is really trying to correct but there are still people out there who value their own short term benefit over the long term consequences of their actions.

#5934 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Did anyone else really needed a haircut when this whole thing started and now it’s completely out of hand?
#coronavirusinconveniences

Yeah, I have the Oster electric dog clippers, and they are looking like they might work for me! Letting my beard grow out while working at home. So, I can test with that first! lol

#5935 3 years ago
giphy (3).gifgiphy (3).gif
#5936 3 years ago

No we’re humans who can and do make mistakes

Isn't there a test you can do to see if it is a virus before prescribing them?

Seems they are doing a lot of testing now.

#5937 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Isn't there a test you can do to see if it is a virus before prescribing them?
Seems they are doing a lot of testing now.

Not really. There are rapid flu tests available but the vast majority of routine viral illnesses are not flu. What you have to go on are the patients symptoms and tests like chest x-rays. Often it boils down to the color of their sputum. Once it turns green I usually will consider starting antibiotics. Also, bacterial pneumonia often piggybacks onto a prior viral illness so the lines get blurry.

The most common viruses to cause colds are rhinovirus, coronavirus, parainfluenza and RSV. I’d love it if we had a rapid, in clinic test for these but it doesn’t currently exist.

#5938 3 years ago
giphy (4).gifgiphy (4).gif
#5939 3 years ago

Often it boils down to the color of their sputum.

Thanks doc. You just taught me a new word.

#5940 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

[quoted image]

Opera Man. Nice. The ( his) sentance was a bit harsh though.

#5941 3 years ago

Citing precedent difficulties with HIV vaccines, experts caution that a Covid vaccine is no sure thing, let alone soon:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/coronavirus-vaccine-is-coming-in-a-year-to-18-months-show-me

"One of the front-runners, backed by the U.S. institute, is the approach used by Moderna that involves adding viral genetic material to human cells, inducing them to make proteins that spur an immune response. The U.S. company said March 16 that it treated its first patient in an early study.

The novel method is largely untested, and Holden Thorp, editor in chief of the Science family of journals, points out there are no guarantees that such messenger RNA vaccines, and others like it, will achieve their ambitious targets. Falling short could cost both society and faith in science, he said.

The concern is “people would get their hopes up and think that we’re going to achieve something sooner than we are, which will be demoralizing if we aren’t able to do that,” Thorp said. “Long-term, I’m worried that if science is portrayed as not coming through fast enough, that could have lasting damage.”

#5942 3 years ago

"sputum"

#5943 3 years ago

No we’re humans who can and do make mistakes. I’m not saying it’s right and it is something I think the medical community is really trying to correct but there are still people out there who value their own short term benefit over the long term consequences of their actions.

Pretty much this. When you get bugged three times a day about your TPS reports, some folks just give in and do whatever it takes to make the TPS reports go away.

#5944 3 years ago

It’s fun to say isn’t it?

#5945 3 years ago

Not so fun to see though. Reason number 17 why I am not a doctor....evaluating sputum. Number 18 is the poop chart.

(Number 1 is my bedside manner).

#5946 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

[quoted image][quoted image]

It was an inside joke. I’ll bet Levi got it.

#5947 3 years ago

It’s fun to say isn’t it?

It reminds me of hitting my speedbag, except that's more of a spudiditdidit.

#5948 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He is appealing to my never going to see doctors train of thought.
Let's get some more prescriptions for antibiotics to cure all these viruses.

You do realize that antibiotics fight off bacterial infections, and not viruses?

#5950 3 years ago

Did anybody watch the CNN interview with Chris and Andrew Cuomo last night?
It’s pretty amusing how they bring their family into the conversation.
There’s a lot of that sibling rivalry and taking funny jabs at each other.
My wife and I were laughing our asses off last night watching this.
Anyhow, worth a watch if you need a distraction.

Not trying to be political, so mods if you think this is inappropriate, please delete.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/119 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.