272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 576.
#6551 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

[quoted image]

“Let’s get the Hell out of here!”

#6552 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Weather forecasting is clearly more advanced in Canada than here in the US.

My local news gives 3 weather reports. One for the south by Detroit. One local to us, and the third is up north in cottage country. Probably 400km from one side of the area to the other, so naturally the wether would be different in your area.

#6553 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:Is Westchester County so much worse due to the amount of time commuting in to NYC on mass transit?
Infection rates
New York City- 1:181
Westchester County, NY- 1:92

Yes, probably, re: Westchester. It’s NYCs primary bedroom community. It’s a highly desirable place to live (for the most part) and has pretty decent density in its own right in some areas. Lots of towns with villages and shopping districts. And express trains into Grand Central Station.

My county is right across across the Hudson from Westchester. We’re far less dense (and far less desirable, lol) because to get into NYC we gotta cross that damn river. It’s quite bucolic considering I’m 20 mikes away from the George Washington Bridge. We have about 1,800 confirmed cases. 256 in my town.

#6554 4 years ago

A lot of "Empty Hospital" videos popping up, just wondered if anyone in these areas could explain or verify if they are real or bogus. The big Hospital in New York was featured by several people, they all looked like ghost towns.

#6555 4 years ago

No, I am not pleased with the twitter feed right now.

"...hospitals should have been stocked up on supplies and ready before this crisis..."

#6556 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A lot of "Empty Hospital" videos popping up, just wondered if anyone in these areas could explain or verify if they are real or bogus. The big Hospital in New York was featured by several people, they all looked like ghost towns.

In the Chicago area, they have opened closed hospitals that have yet to take in patients.

#6557 4 years ago

608814BD-8741-4BFF-87FC-82E382AF6B37 (resized).png608814BD-8741-4BFF-87FC-82E382AF6B37 (resized).png

#6558 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Could be things similar to this one where the landlord says NO:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/04/02/county-city-discussing-bellaire-hospital-availability-after-landlord-says-no-coronavirus-patients/

Just can't believe some people! Special seats in hell for some folks I hope.

#6559 4 years ago

Why are there sign language people at news conferences when every modern TV has closed captioning?

#6560 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I haven't taken the time to look at any of those videos but in theory they could be possible. A lot of unnecessary (however that's defined) procedures have been canceled so some departments could be very empty right now. I work in several hospital networks for a living, while I don't have a clinical background, I do know from other coworkers around our region it's very hit and miss depending on where you travel.

#6561 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I haven’t seen any of the videos and it honestly sounds like more conspiracy theories.

Here in Texas I can tell you my hospitals parking lot is about half full and that is because the hospital is limiting who can come in and has canceled elective procedures. So, all the traffic of people who are coming in to visit a patient or have an elective surgery, or have a colonoscopy, or an elective cardiac procedure, etc. all those patients are gone.

#6562 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I agree with you in terms of the "hope". But if reality has shown us anything over the last few years, what would more likely happen, is grudges and bad blood and childish acts would spill over into the rest of the site. You think people complain about / engage in stalking, sniping, and downvote bombing now? AHHAHAHA it's but a petting zoo compared to what would happen!
Ergo, politics belongs on a politics site. Period. And if you're so eager for political discourse, before you ask for a politics thread here (or anywhere else) maybe you should ask yourself, "Gee, hmm, why *aren't* I one one of those politics sites...?"

I can easily tell you why. I couldn't give two you-know-whats about "one of those politics sites". This is the only "social" site I go to and bump elbows with anyone online with any frequency. There is no eagerness for political discourse so don't put words into my mouth goingincirclez. It is for insight, understanding and ideally, being able to better relate fellow online community members. Nothing more, nothing less. The mods and site owners have more experience in running their website and know what works and what doesn't. So I will entrust to them what is best as they do a good job of it.

#6563 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

If I had to guess, it’s because they are in between stages, but there’s many other logistical reasons. We’ve heard that doctors aren’t seeing patients (I work in a home office role in pharma) because no one wants to take the risk of going to the doctor regardless of geographic location, if they don’t have COVID. So there’s a lot of hospitals and doctors doing the equivalent of waiting for the hurricane to hit.

#6564 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've had this "knowledge" for months yet Florida is still open for business until midnight.
"Understanding the virus" isn't enough in 2020, unfortunately.

Florida is still open for business after midnight. I can go to any store I "need" to under the stay at home orders. People are either going to be smart about it or not.

I had to do the brakes on one of my cars yesterday. I needed an impact driver because the rotor screws were seized. I go to Harbor Freight. There are entire families with kids shopping in Harbor Freight. People are just f'n stupid. You go to a grocery store with a list. You can't find half the shi* on the list. What do you do? Go without or go to another store? It's easy for me to go without. It's harder when it's my kids.

#6565 4 years ago

I think my favorite comment regarding conspiracy theories is “Anyone who thinks that 100 people are all keeping some massive secret has clearly never been a project manager.”

#6566 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Why are there sign language people at news conferences when every modern TV has closed captioning?

ASL is not a universal language but from my understanding it is more universal than English.

Additionally it may be beneficial during playback if the press conference is summarized during your 5:00 10:00 news segment etc.

#6567 4 years ago

We ain’t at peak yet. Just about every hospital network is cancelling electives and trying to add a metric ton of capacity for the expected surge.

Even our itty bitty 25 bed hospital has emptied out as much as possible and mapped out where to cram as many extra beds as they can in anticipation.

Other hospitals around here are nearly empty because they have dedicated all 500 beds to 100% covid and as of today they have like 50 patients in there.

So yes, much hay and conspiracy is being made about how there are no sick people. Those posts will age just as well as those from a month or two ago that said no big deal, we will have at most dozens dead.

#6568 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I haven’t seen any of the videos and it honestly sounds like more conspiracy theories.
Here in Texas I can tell you my hospitals parking lot is about half full and that is because the hospital is limiting who can come in and has canceled elective procedures. So, all the traffic of people who are coming in to visit a patient or have an elective surgery, or have a colonoscopy, or an elective cardiac procedure, etc. all those patients are gone.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/naturally-we-now-have-a-cottage-industry-of-coronavirus-truther-assholes

#6569 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

please see:

Quoted from cait001:

I won't get into details (because of American politics,) but beware there are lots of grifters pushing disinfo about the virus for political purposes, so best stick to what the credentialed channels are saying. Rumours and hearsay will give us false confidence and perhaps diminish our vigilance.

#6570 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This is good to hear. I do not personally know any North or South Dakota residents myself. Do you feel your area is more predisposed to preparedness and self sufficiency in general? Do you feel people tend to live a bit differently when then overall population density is so low, and good hospitals may be very far away? Your state has about 11 people per square mile, where mine is about 280 per square mile.

Hmm. That's hard to say. I mean plenty of people live on farms where they're used to not going into town that often, but I don't think the average person here is much different than anywhere else I've been. Also, a lot of people around here don't travel beyond the state, or local states, that much, and there really isn't much in the way of public transit. So that would limit spread. I would tend to think that our low population density, combined with being at a great distance from Covid-19 epicenters has helped us / will help us quite a bit. We definitely weren't quick to act (except perhaps in closing schools), but we had enough time to see what happened in Italy, and what was starting to happen in New York, to get our butts in gear. Each passing day more and more precautions are being taken, and people seem to be more and more scared of each other in public.

Another big plus for us is that our largest city, Sioux Falls, has a mayor that has shown tremendous leadership during this crisis. I don't agree with all of his politics, but he has been a great communicator and leader. He does almost daily live-streams from his house or office, or even his garage, updating everyone on what he's been doing and what the latest news and situation is. Really good stuff that helps to quell rumors and punches through the BS. And it's important because Sioux Falls is the highest-risk area for us to have community spread, being our largest city.

#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Fair but driving effective engagement regardless of forum is worthwhile. I belong to lots of communities, but there are few that we can exchange ideas as efficiently as forums and social media. If this was some random thread about the new Iron Man code, you’d be totally right. This is about a bigger idea and government effectiveness is imperative to us being successful.

Well said.

#6572 4 years ago

I got early wind of the severity of the outbreak from news sources in India, not sure that is credentialed.
Many times by the time credentialed News sources print or show something the News is days old.
I have no problem discerning hype or conspiracy from truth. The videos were an anomaly, especially footage
from the one in New York.
Like to read ALL News sources and glean what actual information (if any) as possible.
Bottom line, credentialed news sources are suspect until proven from other sources.

#6573 4 years ago

these are the same people that want to use the coronavirus, and the shift to online classes, to identify professors that aren't sufficiently "patriotic" in hopes of chasing them off their job. There are whole websites dedicated to stalking university professors who don't meet their ideological criteria. it's sad to think that people's minds turn to that in these dark times, but as the article says, it's really a booming cottage industry to be a "citizen journalist"

#6574 4 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I worked at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum as head preparator when Harry Philbrick became director. The precocious son Indigo Philbrick would walk around and look at the art we were hanging. Little did I know he would become famous. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Google Indigo Philbrick. You will find it entertaining.

hahahaha holy shit https://news.artnet.com/art-world/inigo-philbrick-intelligence-report-2020-1800972
wow

#6575 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

these are the same people that want to use the coronavirus, and the shift to online classes, to identify professors that aren't sufficiently "patriotic" in hopes of chasing them off their job. There are whole websites dedicated to stalking university professors who don't meet their ideological criteria. it's sad to think that people's minds turn to that in these dark times, but as the article says, it's really a booming cottage industry to be a "citizen journalist"

Gotta love those randos with a blog or social media account.

#6576 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I believe it was "Randos" who called CBS on the mat for using footage from an emergency room in Italy and describing it a scene from
ground zero in New York. Without Independent fact checkers much of what is presented as reality would go unchallenged.

#6577 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

funny thing is, most of them are very well funded.
I'll say no more here.

#6578 4 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I think my favorite comment regarding conspiracy theories is “Anyone who thinks that 100 people are all keeping some massive secret has clearly never been a project manager.”

My friends from the Masonic Order Fraternity are great at keeping secrets.

#6579 4 years ago

arbitrary milestone reached:
Coronavirus Cases:

Italy and Spain still have the most daily deaths (709, 760 respectively), but USA numbers (616) keep going up. (death numbers are SO FAR today)

#6580 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I believe it was "Randos" who called CBS on the mat for using footage from an emergency room in Italy and describing it a scene from
ground zero in New York. Without Independent fact checkers much of what is presented as reality would go unchallenged.

I’m not familiar with either example. Do you have a link to a retraction from CBS or a link that outlines the claim from:
- Fox News
- AP
- Reuters
- WSJ
- New York Times
- Washington Post

#6581 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

arbitrary milestone reached:
Coronavirus Cases:
Italy and Spain still have the most daily deaths (709, 760 respectively), but USA numbers (616) keep going up. (death numbers are SO FAR today)

I’m getting tired of winning this.

#6582 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’m not familiar with either example

I'm not sure we need to dwell on "some person in the video room maybe used the wrong B-roll during a scene in a single segment". There's more than enough grim facts to focus on.
I don't even know if video news bothers with retractions, but NYT and WaPo generally still do.

#6583 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’m not familiar with either example. Do you have a link to a retraction from CBS or a link that outlines the claim from:
- Fox News
- AP
- Reuters
- WSJ
- New York Times
- Washington Post

10 second google search found 20 stories covering the mistake and apology.
I do not waste my time with New York Times or Washington Post so not sure about those "News" sources

#6584 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm not sure we need to dwell on "some person in the video room maybe used the wrong B-roll during a scene in a segment". There's more than enough grim facts to focus on.

Totally fair. Found an article. CBS retracted it and pulled it from all their platforms. I think to use that as justification as being intentionally misleading is out of bounds. You’re right. Totally a “grabbing the wrong b-roll in the editing bay” mistake.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/cbs-admits-to-using-footage-from-italy-in-report-about-nyc/

#6585 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm not sure we need to dwell on "some person in the video room maybe used the wrong B-roll during a scene in a segment". There's more than enough grim facts to focus on.

There are hundreds of other like "Mistakes". Credentialed News sources should be above approach if they wish to keep their "Credentials".

#6586 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Performance art.

#6587 4 years ago

can't get it to work

#6588 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

There are hundreds of other like "Mistakes". Credentialed News sources should be above approach if they wish to keep their "Credentials".

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between reputable and non-reputable is that the good ones own their mistakes and address them. Don’t let one mistake discount a mountain of solid reporting.

#6589 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Credentialed News sources should be above approach

Cool, let's fund them with public money so they have the resources to be that and aren't just manufacturing content to sell commercials.

#6590 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I am happy I do not depend on others to determine what I need to dwell on. If you are a Major you need to get it right, otherwise I might
as well watch Bogus News Hour.

#6591 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m getting tired of winning this.

China won a long time ago...they just don’t want the trophy.

#6592 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Cool, let's fund them with public money so they have the resources to be that and aren't just manufacturing content to sell commercials.

We tried that with NPR, PBS, TASS and BBC. Don't work.

#6593 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Bogus News Hour

I really want this to be a tie in to the new Bill & Ted movie...

#6594 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I got early wind of the severity of the outbreak from news sources in India

So did the Isreali guy in World War Z. Coincidence?

#6595 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between reputable and non-reputable is that the good ones own their mistakes and address them. Don’t let one mistake discount a mountain of solid reporting.

Yeah, they sometimes own up when they are called out by "Randos" and other fact checkers. Youtube is full of misleading and outright
Fake News Reports from all the Major Players. Seems to be a Trend rather than an "Editing" mistake.

#6596 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

We tried that with NPR, PBS, TASS and BBC. Don't work.

NPR, PBS and BBC are all decent, have defined standards, have an ombudsperson/department, issue retractions, have a large legal team, and robust fact-checkers. NYT is also very similar, but also allows more ink to go to their "opinions" columns. If that's not up your alley, I don't know what to tell you. *shrug*

(I'm unsure what TASS is)

#6597 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

China won a long time ago...they just don’t want the trophy.

Right, if you think of it statistically speaking, with over a BILLION more in population, how could they NOT win?

#6598 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So did the Isreali guy in World War Z. Coincidence?

Cool, didn't know that, will have to watch that again. India certainly calls it like it is.

#6599 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

NPR, PBS and BBC are all decent, have defined standards, have an ombudsperson/department, issue retractions, have a large legal team, and robust fact-checkers. NYT is also very similar, but also allows more ink to go to their "opinions" columns. If that's not up your alley, I don't know what to tell you. *shrug*
(I'm unsure what TASS is)

Is this why a majority of the people in the UK are protesting having to pay for BBC?
TASS is the Russian News Agency

#6600 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Yeah, they sometimes own up when they are called out by "Randos" and other fact checkers. Youtube is full of misleading and outright
Fake News Reports from all the Major Players. Seems to be a Trend rather than an "Editing" mistake.

A mistakenly miscredited 4 second video clip on a morning show doesn't shake my faith in the credibility of the mainstream media.

It's just not very important, unless you really believe there's a media conspiracy to convince you that there is a crisis in NYC's hospitals when in fact it's a paradise right now. Don't worry, the NYC hospital B-roll is coming soon enough and it's gonna be horrifying. For now you can rely on the B-roll of body bags being wheeled out to freezer trucks to tide you over.

I kinda hate to stick up for CBS news as their news division is pretty atrocious right now, but I just don't think this "media lie" is worth the 2 straight weeks of play it's going to get on Fox News.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/132 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.