272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 576.
#6451 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Send that to wolfemaaan.

I would but theres no hope for that guy at all. It would be a waste of time.

#6453 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think you might be missing the point that was trying to be made.
The point was that journalists are generally not subject matter experts on everything. So errors and misunderstandings might be included in an article when they are writing about a subject that they are not an expert in.
If you have ever read an article reporting on pinball, you could probably pick out a handful of errors. Usually minor, but obvious to a subject matter expert (ie, pinball enthusiast).
So, with that perspective in mind, the point was to view articles written on other subjects in the same light. A lot of the significant items in the subject of an article are probably correct, but it's likely that there are minor errors that go unnoticed by readers who are not subject matter experts.

I actually disagree with this summary. I’m a former journalist that attended one of the best j schools in the nation. No longer in the profession. (The pay and hours are AWFUL.). There are two types of journalists. One is a generalist that typically works in TV or a more entertainment driven medium. Those folks are prone to the mistakes you’re talking about. The other type is your typical print journalist that works a beat. These folks at the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and your local newspaper get close to being experts and understanding the nuance of their beat or knowing enough credible sources to help them parse through the information.

I feel It’s important that everyone try to spend a bit more time finding good sources of news. My rule of thumb is the easier it is to consume, the worse it is for you. Print > TV > Some rando with an opinion on Facebook

#6454 4 years ago

Quest has a 160,000 test backlog right now. Given that roughly 20% of the tests have been coming back positive, there is another 32k probable positives we don't even know about yet. And that is just one lab.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/nj-based-lab-company-quest-had-huge-backlog-of-coronavirus-tests-cnn-reports.html

Correction, the article says 35%, so 56k presumed positives. My state next door seems to be around 20%.

#6455 4 years ago

Send that to wolfemaaan.

Glad Wolf is gone. Hopefully finding better things to do. Maybe exercise or something useful

#6456 4 years ago

Chartsmanship 101. This CDC chart (figure 2) of COVID-19 by age:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

The buckets on the horizontal access are not equal. They lumped the 20 year olds in with the 44 year olds.

Our leaders just need to be honest. You're not going to scare 20 year olds into compliance. The risk for people 44 and under is much less than for old people; not zero, but much less. Young people need to help their community by following their regions guidelines.

#6457 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Glad Wolf is gone. Hopefully finding better things to do. Maybe exercise or something useful

Or signing up again as someone new and will be back trolling in no time. What a covidiot that guy was.

#6458 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Quest has a 160,000 test backlog right now. Given that roughly 20% of the tests have been coming back positive, there is another 32k probable positives we don't even know about yet. And that is just one lab.
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/nj-based-lab-company-quest-had-huge-backlog-of-coronavirus-tests-cnn-reports.html
Correction, the article says 35%, so 56k presumed positives. My state next door seems to be around 20%.

My wife’s clinic has the internal ability to do almost a days worth of tests per week.
The outside lab they use just told them they are overwhelmed and to stop sending samples.

It’s like whack-a-mole with these supply chain and throughput issues.

#6459 4 years ago

Ran some numbers this morning on a per capita basis to show where we are at compared to some other places in the world, since total numbers per country are a bit deceiving. Is Westchester County so much worse due to the amount of time commuting in to NYC on mass transit? I am sure in a few years, we will be studying this phenomenon more closely.

Infection rates:
USA- 1:1513
Italy- 1:546
Spain- 1:448
Germany- 1:1061
France- 1:1159
New York City- 1:181
Westchester County, NY- 1:92

#6460 4 years ago

Don’t only blame China for giving false numbers.

Here in Ontario it was reported yesterday That there is a discrepancy in the number of deaths reported. The difference between the provinces numbers and the added up totals for each municipality is over 30 people. The province said that retirement homes totals might not yet be included in their totals, but that only accounts for like 15 of the 30 in recorded deaths.

#6461 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Don’t only blame China for giving false numbers.
Here in Ontario it was reported yesterday That there is a discrepancy in the number of deaths reported. The difference between the provinces numbers and the added up totals for each municipality is over 30 people. The province said that retirement homes totals might not yet be included in their totals, but that only accounts for like 15 of the 30 in recorded deaths.

Like I said, everyone is using their own special math.

#6462 4 years ago

I remember my high school math teacher saying “exponential growth always leads to disaster.”

#6463 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Ran some numbers this morning on a per capita basis to show where we are at compared to some other places in the world, since total numbers per country are a bit deceiving. Is Westchester County so much worse due to the amount of time commuting in to NYC on mass transit? I am sure in a few years, we will be studying this phenomenon more closely.
Infection rates:
USA- 1:1513
Italy- 1:546
Spain- 1:448
Germany- 1:1061
France- 1:1159
New York City- 1:181
Westchester County, NY- 1:92

Interesting numbers. I’ve noticed we have a Pinside Doc and a Pinside statistician.

You did forget one country...
China - 1:2 (jk)

Your efforts are appreciated...thanks.

#6464 4 years ago

“Kushner encouraged Trump to push back against New York governor Andrew Cuomo after Cuomo gave an emotional press conference during which he said New York was short 30,000 ventilators. In a White House meeting around this time, Kushner told people that Cuomo was being an alarmist. “I have all this data about ICU capacity. I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators,” Kushner said, according to a person present. “

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/inside-trumps-decision-to-back-off-of-his-easter-coronavirus-miracle

#6467 4 years ago

And Doc, you’re next

#6468 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

If lung cells become infected, they die- cannot oxygenate blood. Why would ventilators help? For all we know, inducing coma could be the intervention needed.

Ventilators help because even though you have necrotic lung tissue, there IS still functioning tissue. Because of ARDS, your body has to work harder to breathe. Eventually you tire out. That's where the ventilator comes into play. You are sedated, and the machine breathes for you.

#6470 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

In South Dakota, we have one of the lowest case-counts in the country-with 129 confirmed, and 2 deaths. In spite of a lack of a "shelter-in-place" order, all bars and restaurants are closed except for carry-out, all churches have moved to online services and have done so for 3 weeks or more, same with our schools. My daughter's school has been closed since early March, even though at the time of closure there wasn't a single case of covid anywhere within the entire school district (now there's been 1). Most everyone seems to be cautious when going out and keeping a lot of distance at stores and post offices. They have plexi-glass barriers and disposable gloves at the checkout of our small-town grocery store. And a lot of people are working from home. I know I personally use hand sanitizer before and after entering any store or business, and I'm probably not alone. So we're doing about as much as we can here, short of a police-enforced shelter-in-place order.
Hopefully it all pays off, because it's a heck of a life-disruption. Unlike at the coasts, I think we actually started coronavirus-mitigation measures early enough to make a difference. Our distance from the coastal population centers bought us a lot of time to hem and haw. In fact, at least 20+ cases are from a doctor who flew back from Seattle and brought the virus with him. Without that one guy, we'd have the lowest number of cases of any state. But I guess every state probably has a "that guy."

This is good to hear. I do not personally know any North or South Dakota residents myself. Do you feel your area is more predisposed to preparedness and self sufficiency in general? Do you feel people tend to live a bit differently when then overall population density is so low, and good hospitals may be very far away? Your state has about 11 people per square mile, where mine is about 280 per square mile.

#6471 4 years ago

News, not wanted.

#6472 4 years ago

No politics, Art? Seriously? You are politics 24/7 on Pinside. Give it a rest.

#6473 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

No politics, Art? Seriously? You are politics 24/7 on Pinside. Give it a rest.

Thank you for your advise. Im sorry that 66 days ago, when I discussed masks, and the virus it was all thumbs down.
Being Critical as to what is happening isnt political, by choice.
This is an article on how the Virus is being politicized.

So, as we see here, and elsewhere...No criticism is allowed as to whats happening in politics,
yet, I am allowed to share News Links.

Why are you asking now for no links, involving the actions this country takes?

Should I be limited to only News Corp links?

#6475 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you for your advise. Im sorry that 66 days ago, when I discussed masks, and the virus it was all thumbs down.
Being Critical as to what is happening isnt political, by choice.
This is an article on how the Virus is being politicized.
So, as we see here, and elsewhere...No criticism is allowed as to whats happening in politics,
yet, I am allowed to share News Links.
Why are you asking now for no links, involving the actions this country takes?
Should I be limited to only News Corp links?

You are unbelievable and here is another example. I'll pass on taking your bait.

#6476 4 years ago

Looks like the park across the street is finally padlocked.

It’s too bad but it had to be done. Been watching people play basketball there for weeks, and kids running all over the place.

I’ll miss watching that old man stretch for 5 minutes but I have to sacrifice my personal entertainment for public health. And once again it’s been proven the public can’t be trusted, and the government has to step in.

CE4D442D-EEBC-4250-A55B-E304729C5E0D (resized).jpegCE4D442D-EEBC-4250-A55B-E304729C5E0D (resized).jpeg
#6477 4 years ago

If you have to start a post by saying “No politics”, you’re probably about to make a political post...

#6478 4 years ago

If you have to start a post by saying “No politics”, you’re probably about to make a political post...

Not to be an asshole, but....

Ah, never mind.

#6479 4 years ago

Maybe our lives are different, but Im angry.

It IS apparently OK, to be angry at China, the Media, The Governors, the WHO, the CDC, and post that anger.
My anger is the path and method. You are free to disagree.

Perhaps Why, for me.

Ive lost 10 people. I have a Grandaughter 1, and her dad is a doctor in Vanderbilt Hospital,
I worry for them, and hear news, I no longer share.
I have a Niece who gave birth this morning in Seattle. There is concern the baby may be infected.
I have sister in law, an ICU nurse, and found out she has cancer this morning.
My 83 year old Mom is coughing, and recovering from Shingles....I need to help her today.
I may need spine surgery, I cant have it though, because of the Spread.

If what I share is not True, please correct me with a different link....I am fine to be wrong
and admit it.

But critical thinking should not be suspended because the information is uncomfortable.

My comment was meant to mean, not that I am being political, but someone in the article is.

Ill go away now....apparently we only want different info....

#6480 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It IS apparently OK, to be angry at China, the Media, The Governors, the WHO, the CDC, and post that anger.
Perhaps Why, for me.
Ive lost 10 people. I have a Grandaughter 1, and her dad is a doctor in Vanderbilt Hospital,
I have a Niece who gave birth this morning in Seattle. There is concern the baby may be infected.
My 83 year old Mom is coughing, and recovering from Shingles....I need to help her today.
If what I share is not True, please correct me with a different link....I am fine to be wrong
and admit it.
But critical thinking should not be suspended because the information is uncomfortable.

My comment was meant to mean, not that I am being political, but someone in the article is.

Wow....sorry for all of the difficulties you are experiencing. Tough times, sounds like especially rough for you.

I'm not sure why politics are so restricted on pinside. In my humble opinion, this thread was much more active, and frankly more interesting, before the restrictions were put in place (or maybe better said, enforced). But it's hard to deny that your link was political. Sorry, not trying to be mean...I think politics add a lot of color to this thread in particular. It almost drove me away from pinside for CV reading...

#6481 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Perhaps Why, for me.
and admit it.

Your frustrations are real. And your present will be many people’s future. Hang in there...you and yours will get through this. As will we all.

#6482 4 years ago

He's got fans and groupies. And some probably upset at Faucis speech at George Town University January 10th, 2017 stating that "Trump will have a suprise out break" ??

#6483 4 years ago

I hate to look at the other side... but I will. This map really needs a second layer of cases overlay on it. As it is, the red areas look like one thing, but are actually another.

#6484 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Perhaps Why, for me.
and admit it.

I’m truly sorry for what you are going through...hang in there. As far as sharing a link about how campaigns are strategizing, politicizing, benefiting, etc. regarding the coronavirus, it has no relevance and does not add anything of value to this thread. There will be plenty of finger pointing down the road, lasting months and years after this is “over”. For now, let’s focus on gaining knowledge to understand this virus, what we can do to “beat” this thing, and be supportive of each other, not create divide.

#6486 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I'm not sure why politics are so restricted on pinside. In my humble opinion, this thread was much more active, and frankly more interesting, before the restrictions were put in place...

...I think politics add a lot of color to this thread in particular. It almost drove me away from pinside for CV reading...

#6487 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I’m truly sorry for what you are going through...hang in there. As far as sharing a link about how campaigns are strategizing, politicizing, benefiting, etc. regarding the coronavirus, it has no relevance and does not add anything of value to this thread. There will be plenty of finger pointing down the road, lasting months and years after this is “over”. For now, let’s focus on gaining knowledge to understand this virus, what we can do to “beat” this thing, and be supportive of each other, not create divide.

We've had this "knowledge" for months yet Florida is still open for business until midnight.

"Understanding the virus" isn't enough in 2020, unfortunately.

#6488 4 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Chartsmanship 101. This CDC chart (figure 2) of COVID-19 by age:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm
The buckets on the horizontal access are not equal. They lumped the 20 year olds in with the 44 year olds.
Our leaders just need to be honest. You're not going to scare 20 year olds into compliance. The risk for people 44 and under is much less than for old people; not zero, but much less. Young people need to help their community by following their regions guidelines.

In Utah where I live and we have a younger population, the vast majority of diagnosed patients to this point are those on the 25-60 age range. The 25-44 age group tops the chart so far in those requiring hospitalization closely followed by those 44-63.

My guess is those older than 63 are generally being more careful and thus fewer patients diagnosed in that age range, at least so far... although like most areas, they tend to have more serious complications and deaths.

My point is that if 25-50 year olds are still thinking they won't have many if any problems or severe symptoms from this, they are kidding themselves. 10-15% in that age range are requiring hospitalizations as well... at least here.

#6489 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Perhaps Why, for me.
and admit it.

I'm sorry for your problems, Art, I truly am. But please don't lose sight of the fact that we are all in this tragedy together. And we are all scared and frustrated. And unfortunately, there is much more and much worse to come. Best wishes to all of us.

#6491 4 years ago

Dr. Dasai on Fox News discussing the tests, just shaking his head for 5 seconds before talking... https://twitter.com/aalali44/status/1245546863102746624
not encouraging!

#6492 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Dr. Dasai on Fox News discussing the tests, just shaking his head for 5 seconds before talking... https://twitter.com/aalali44/status/1245546863102746624
not encouraging!

Ouch!

Fox having a harder time every day finding anybody with credibility who will go along with their storylines.

#6493 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've had this "knowledge" for months yet Florida is still open for business until midnight.
"Understanding the virus" isn't enough in 2020, unfortunately.

Agreed. You cannot trust much of the public to follow orders and do the right thing for the best interest of our country. Many of these state orders need to be made more strict and enforcement seriously considered.

#6494 4 years ago

There are going to be a lot of leaders in this country on both sides of the aisle that are going to have some serious ‘splainin to do when this is all over.

Having said that, let’s be on the same team right now. It’s not the time for finger pointing.

#6495 4 years ago

Anyone trying to convince themselves that politics wasn't at the heart of our and many other countries reactions to this whole event from the beginning good or bad is lying to themselves.

#6496 4 years ago

Welcome to the party! This was discussed yesterday.

#6497 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Anyone trying to convince themselves that politics wasn't at the heart of our and many other countries reactions to this whole event from the beginning is lying to themselves.

But yet, we aren't supposed to discuss them on a thread about coronavirus.

#6498 4 years ago

There are going to be a lot of leaders in this country on both sides of the aisle that are going to have some serious ‘splainin to do when this is all over.
Having said that, let’s be on the same team right now. It’s not the time for finger pointing.

I think you’re partly right. I agree we need to be on the same team, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be pressuring leaders to ensure:
Adequate testing gets provided quickly
The appropriate stay at home measures are taken
Healthcare workers get the PPE they need
Ensure our neighbors get financial relief if they’re laid off
Educate ourselves to be ready to hold leaders and legislators accountable, the next time they are on the ballot

Those issues are policy and government related and not political. It’s important that we make sure our leaders are accountable to the population. Of course this is regardless of party. Everyone, if you’ve got time, call your leaders and your legislators.

#6499 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

But yet, we aren't supposed to discuss them on a thread about coronavirus.

I understand the why's of it. You see how quickly people start being nasty to each other. I have a strict no politics and religion rule with family get togethers too...but then I also have a strict no family get togethers rule..so..

#6500 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I think you’re partly right. I agree we need to be in the same team, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be pressuring leaders to ensure:
Adequate testing gets provided quickly
The appropriate stay at home measures are taken
Healthcare workers get the PPE they need
Ensure our neighbors get financial relief if they’re laid off
Educate ourselves to be ready to hold leaders and legislators accountable, the next time they are on the ballot
Those issues are policy and government related and not political. It’s important that we make sure our leaders are accountable to the population. Of course this is regardless of party.

I agree with you however arguing on a pinball website about politics accomplishes none of those objectives.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/130 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.