272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 451 of 576.
#22500 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Not as impressive as the festivals in India but equally as stoooopid. This was over the weekend in Jacksonville, FL. 15,000 people gathered for a UFC event.
https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/look-fans-flock-to-ufc-261-for-first-full-capacity-ufc-event-in-more-than-a-year/
[quoted image]

Looks more stupid if we are just comparing the two photos. The Indian festival is outside and most of the people are wearing masks, that is actually relatively safe even if it's a lot of people. The Florida UFC event looks like it's inside and barely anyone is wearing masks, plus it will have a lot of shouting and heavy breathing, that's an easy way to spread the virus.

#22501 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I very much realize a "festival" in India isn't how I as an American would normally think of the word "festival"... but let me see if I can grasp this. Millions of people went to it. 10 days ago.

More people, fewer port-a-potties....

#22502 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If it ain't one thing, it is another.
Depending on your station in life, Covid has had a devastating impact on the economy. And prices are going up. 4 months ago, I could buy a Ribeye steak for 9.47 per lb. Yesterday, at Walmart, that same Ribeye was priced at $13.47 per lb. I am out of the steak buying market.
Do you need a job? Truckers are needed to haul gasoline. But they will not be easy jobs to fill.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/business/summer-gasoline-shortage/index.html
" Millions of people stuck at home for more than a year are expected hit the road for much-needed post-pandemic vacations this summer. Good luck finding gas.
Not that there's a looming shortage of crude oil or gasoline. Rather, it's the tanker truck drivers needed to deliver the gas to stations who are in short supply."
Gasoline has slowly been creeping back up in price around here. I'm paying $2.70 per gal. now.
And I lived through the gas shortages in 1973 and again in 1978. I hope it does not come to that.

3.80 per gallon here what suckers we are.Got my 2 shots pfizer no issues.

#22503 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

This just won't be effective given India's 1.3B population. Times two doses requires ~ 2B doses. My educated guess says that's more than have been manufactured to date.
Covid surges/waves last 8-12 weeks. Vaccines take a minimum of two weeks to be effective and up to five weeks to be fully effective due the second dose. India should be well on their way to the downward side of the surge before then.

J J vaccine is 1 dose and others coming.

#22504 2 years ago

I bought a ticket to a Pinball Show! You remember pinball, right? That hobby all of us here have in common.

Pintastic New England tickets went on sale, and I decided to go. It's in November, and by that time it will have been two full years since I went to a show. I have absolutely no idea what the world will be like in November. The hotel is refundable right up until the night before. So the worst that will happen is that I lose the cost of my ticket supporting the show if I decide it isn't a good idea.

But... the nice part is that the world might be more normal by then. I'm already fully vaccinated, so now it gives me something to look forward to for 7 months. I'm already looking around at what games I'm going to bring. So now we HAVE to have this all under control by then

#22505 2 years ago

Last year was the year that YouTube (owned by Google) turned on its ad machine. With the entire country stuck at home, it was the perfect opportunity to jerk the hook.

The ads are getting longer now and harder to skip. You all know what I talking about.

The move has paid off for Google.

I realize this is the American Way. You always need to buy ticket called an advertisement. But the ads sure are annoying.

Anyway.

Google parent Alphabet sees revenue jump 34% to $55.3 billion in the first quarter

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/tech/google-earnings-q1-2021/index.html

#22506 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

IF you did not believe Covid was real and does not affect you or the Pinball community,
then maybe understanding that Chris Walsh (organizer of the NW Pinball show)
Died this week, in the hospital for nearly 3 months with complications from Covid,
he was about to get released at the end of this month, but unfortunately had a sudden heart attack,
I am sure brought on by complications from covid.
RIP Chris Walsh krunch

Really sad news. Been attending the NW Show since the beginning (incl. the Oak Harbor version) and always looked forward to seeing Chris and his wife. Good people, and always made my son and I feel so welcome. He was a big part of the board and my heart goes out to his family and the all the NW folks.

#22507 2 years ago

India to allow Amarnath pilgrimage despite surge in cases - Facilities for 600k pilgrims being prepared.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-india-to-allow-amarnath-pilgrimage-despite-surge-in-cases/a-57341771

Are they just YOLOing over there, or what? Yeesh.

#22508 2 years ago

Israel has a high vaccination rate and a low infection rate. Taiwan has a low vaccination rate and low infection and low death rate. In Taiwan they mandatory a 14 day isolation when entering the country and they know and abide by mask wearing and nobody complains about it.

The flu rate in the US was very low in the past year. This year and last year I didn't get the flu but I had for almost every year in the past 10. Texas stopped with the mask mandate months ago but the governor made enforcing it almost impossible. I really don't understand the complaints about losing your freedom wearing a mask. Tucker Carlson made some really stupid comments about mask wearing in public. The anti vaccination movement is really pushing their agenda which is just nuts.

#22509 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't think it was putting down because he wasn't able to make a cogent argument. I think he might have been referring to festivals in India where millions of people show up during a pandemic. They were well into this wave when millions of people gathered... millions of them... at a festival. I very much realize a "festival" in India isn't how I as an American would normally think of the word "festival"... but let me see if I can grasp this. Millions of people went to it. 10 days ago.
I think Luckydogg420 may have said it in exactly the right way.
[quoted image]

I was more referring to people like the family that lives across the street. They haven’t taken any of this seriously from the beginning. Despite being having a pre-existing medical condition putting him at high risk. Over the last year they’ve had multiple visits from family members that live on the other side of the country. They never once quarantined when they arrived in the province. Last Friday bylaw was there because someone complained that they were having a get together, the very next day they had another get together. He wanders over to chat the other day while I was out with the dogs. Comes right up to me, on my property and doesn’t keep personal space. Then he proceeds to tell me they have a vacation planned to travel to Alberta and Saskatchewan in June and he hopes the borders don’t close. I asked if it was essential travel, he said no, they just wanted a vacation.

I’ve been respecting the rules for over a year, even delayed looking for a new job to reduce my exposure to others. Only leaving the house for groceries pretty much.

He said that he’s had his 1st shot, but that vaccine doesn’t fix stupid. IMHO If you keep tempting fate it will eventually catch up with you.

#22510 2 years ago

I suppose there's more than one way to achieve herd immunity. Their situation is so dire. Knowing the difficulty trying to source gas or propane after a hurricane, people over there are forced to source their own oxygen to keep loved ones alive. It's hard to imagine.

And with a disease that primarily kills via the lungs, why do they still allow open funeral pyres? I guess it's the R word...

#22511 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

J J vaccine is 1 dose and others coming.

Unfortunately, India has not approved the J&J vaccine.

There is empirical data showing significant protection after the first dose so India should focus on getting at least one dose to as many as possible. That strategy worked well for Israel.

#22512 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

Israel has a high vaccination rate and a low infection rate. Taiwan has a low vaccination rate and low infection and low death rate. In Taiwan they mandatory a 14 day isolation when entering the country and they know and abide by mask wearing and nobody complains about it.
The flu rate in the US was very low in the past year. This year and last year I didn't get the flu but I had for almost every year in the past 10. Texas stopped with the mask mandate months ago but the governor made enforcing it almost impossible. I really don't understand the complaints about losing your freedom wearing a mask. Tucker Carlson made some really stupid comments about mask wearing in public. The anti vaccination movement is really pushing their agenda which is just nuts.

On the last point, it’s already filtering down into real life over here. My wife has heard those famous lines parroted to her by patients and has had a patient blocked from entry (whole clinic heard the confrontation of the patient with front staff) since yesterday.

At parks we do mask if there are other kids present. Covid in the schools has ramped up SIGNIFICANTLY around here. Plus I try to set an example for the kids and not make it too confusing about when and where to mask. Just simpler to say always mask around people.

I am honestly concerned about my wife being confronted at the playground this weekend. Probably will just take the kids myself. Thinking maybe folks will feel less confrontational with a white man vs. a small Asian woman. Funny enough, but she is the one to really fear in this relationship. Just don’t want my kids to witness a confrontation.

#22513 2 years ago

I haven’t heard of transmission of the virus outdoors. Is there record of this anywhere?

#22514 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

I haven’t heard of transmission of the virus outdoors. Is there record of this anywhere?

Its on the CDC site somewhere. Transmission outside happens but has been very low which is why they have changed the guidance.

#22515 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

How would being outdoors make transmission impossible? It just makes it less likely.

#22516 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Google Rose Garden Ceremony for Amy Coney-Barrett.

#22517 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

India festivals would seem to provide some evidence...

And spring break

And Sturgis

Etc...

But those were more packed outdoor events where air can’t really circulate

As far as passing someone or playing street sports...I dunno, but it is really hard to explain that to kids (at least mine). Early on, no one really knew for sure so it was safety first. Plus playgrounds do tend to get PACKED during the start of nice weather.

Better safe than sorry at least for us.

#22518 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

There is empirical data showing significant protection after the first dose so India should focus on getting at least one dose to as many as possible. That strategy worked well for Israel.

India would be foolish not to accept any vaccination. The president of India should be held accountable as being a complete duffus.

#22519 2 years ago

Time to invade India. Obviously can't get their shit together.

#22520 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Its alot less likely but can happen. https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-55680305

#22521 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Prioritising first dosing was the UK strategy too, and it worked. Plenty of real world data now to support that.

#22522 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I was more referring to people like the family that lives across the street. They haven’t taken any of this seriously from the beginning. Despite being having a pre-existing medical condition putting him at high risk. Over the last year they’ve had multiple visits from family members that live on the other side of the country. They never once quarantined when they arrived in the province. Last Friday bylaw was there because someone complained that they were having a get together, the very next day they had another get together. He wanders over to chat the other day while I was out with the dogs. Comes right up to me, on my property and doesn’t keep personal space. Then he proceeds to tell me they have a vacation planned to travel to Alberta and Saskatchewan in June and he hopes the borders don’t close. I asked if it was essential travel, he said no, they just wanted a vacation.
I’ve been respecting the rules for over a year, even delayed looking for a new job to reduce my exposure to others. Only leaving the house for groceries pretty much.
He said that he’s had his 1st shot, but that vaccine doesn’t fix stupid. IMHO If you keep tempting fate it will eventually catch up with you.

I stand corrected. But what does this guy mean when he says the vaccine can't fix stupid? I tag him as a selfish prick.

#22523 2 years ago

The lunacy does not stop.

"Miami private school asks teachers not to get Covid-19 vaccine or they won't be allowed to return next year"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/us/miami-school-warns-against-covid-vaccine-trnd/index.html

"A Miami private school has asked its employees to wait to get the Covid-19 vaccine until the end of the school year, but still cautioned that if they do, they won't be allowed to return next year, the school told staff this month."
=======================================================================

So...get the vaccine if you want. But we will fire you if you do. My attitude is: Boss, I will never tell.

#22524 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"Miami private school asks teachers not to get Covid-19 vaccine or they won't be allowed to return next year"
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/us/miami-school-warns-against-covid-vaccine-trnd/index.html
"A Miami private school has asked its employees to wait to get the Covid-19 vaccine until the end of the school year, but still cautioned that if they do, they won't be allowed to return next year, the school told staff this month."
So...get the vaccine if you want. But we will fire you if you do. My attitude is: Boss, I will never tell.

The letter makes other unsubstantiated claims about adverse reactions non-vaccinated people could have by "interacting with people who have been vaccinated"

Anybody with a basic understanding of science could tell you that's complete nonsense. That's like saying hair color is contagious.

If only the vaccine could spread as effectively as the virus; I think people would be better off for it

#22525 2 years ago

Saskatchewan finally lowered the vaccine age to 42 this morning. Went online at 8am and was in North Battleford a hour later getting my first shot of Pfizer. Took 20 minutes total and was givin a snack bag with a orange juice box and a couple fruit bars and a large box when I left. The box contained all kinds of cleaning supplies and a box of 50 masks. I dropped it off at the food bank as they need the supplies more then me. Can't wait to get the call for my second shot!

#22527 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Saskatchewan finally lowered the vaccine age to 42 this morning. Went online at 8am and was in North Battleford a hour later getting my first shot of Pfizer. Took 20 minutes total and was givin a snack bag with a orange juice box and a couple fruit bars and a large box when I left. The box contained all kinds of cleaning supplies and a box of 50 masks. I dropped it off at the food bank as they need the supplies more then me. Can't wait to get the call for my second shot!

That was a really nice gesture.

Are you feeling any discomfort or issues from the first shot?

#22528 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Saskatchewan finally lowered the vaccine age to 42 this morning.

Ontario has been a cluster fuck. The pharmacy up the road is giving shots to people 40+. They booked up right away, just noticed today they’ve added a number to call to get on the wait list. I’m going to call today. The province is giving it to people 45+ so I can’t sign up on their list yet. My friends live in a hot spot across town, they got their 1st shot yesterday, while booking their appointment the nurse commented that they had 25 spots to fill for the next day. Unfortunately they check postal codes and I don’t live in that part of town. Someone mentioned there’s a 3rd party app that will help people find vaccines because the province is such a mish-mash of different plans.

#22529 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

That was a really nice gesture.
Are you feeling any discomfort or issues from the first shot?

My wife got her first shot of Pfizer a day before me and complained of a sore arm all day yesterday like many others. I had no side effects yesterday. I'm just waking up now and it feels like someone punched me really hard in the arm. Couldn't sleep on my left side last night and my arm feels tight and heavy this morning.

#22530 2 years ago

So I got my first Pfizer vaccine about 20 days ago and scheduled to get my 2nd dose tomorrow afternoon. 

To be honest, I am having some second thoughts on getting the 2nd shot. I know that sounds strange since I already committed to getting it, but it seems like ever since I got the first shot, I have seen more and more info about people getting terribly sick after their second dose. Admittedly, a lot of this has been anecdotal evidence but it has me feeling very anxious about going in tomorrow. Even though I am getting Pfizer and not J&J or Astra Zeneca, those stories are contributing to my feelings toward the 2nd shot. 

I have horrible anxiety. And I know that after the shot, I will be incredibly anxious to see what side effects I have and how severe. This will certainly cause me to have panic attacks. That alone makes me wonder if it's worth it.

I spent some time last night reading the Dec 2020 study by CDC where they tested the vaccine on about 48k people (half got vaccine half got placebo) trying to convince myself that everything will be fine. At some points I felt great about getting it, other times I was super freaked out about the potentially severe side effects (having to go to the hospital). According to the study 127 out of 21,645 went to the hospital (.6%). 2 died, although 4 people died in the placebo group so... 

I have also read that after the first Pfizer vaccine that you are around 80% vaccinated. That sounds pretty good to me. I had no side effects after the first shot other than sore arm, not sure if that has an effect on side effects for the 2nd. 

I guess I am realizing I have a (irrational?) fear of getting sick and ending up in a hospital. And I have been able to avoid getting Covid for over a year now, and the vaccine is basically guaranteeing that I will be sick for a couple of days, or possibly worse. 

#22531 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

And I know that after the shot, I will be incredibly anxious to see what side effects I have and how severe.

I had a family member who was a chronic worrier. Often times, the anxiety was worse than whatever they happened to be worrying about.

If the anxiety seriously that bad, maybe talk to a doctor about something to take the edge off of that before you go for your shot.

Quoted from pinlink:

I have seen more and more info about people getting terribly sick after their second dose.

I've heard about too. At the worst, flu symptoms for a day or two. I've also heard from some people who just said they were tired and needed a nap. A few others I heard from didn't really notice much of anything.

Personally, I scheduled my second dose on a Friday and cleared my weekend. I also made sure I have plenty of food, soup, crackers, Tylenol, blankets, and plenty of movies & tv shows if I need to use any of that.

It's pretty unusual that you can actually schedule and prepare for the possibility of a couple days of being sick.

Personally, I'll take that over the possibility of unexpectedly contracting covid, quarantining for two weeks, possibly ending up in the hospital, and possibly expediting long-term lung and/or heart problems and possibly even risking death.

To me, contracting covid sounds far more disruptive, inconvenient, and risky than not taking the second shot. The possibility of a little discomfort now at a scheduled time is far more appealing than contracting covid and having to deal with everything that goes along with that.

Quoted from pinlink:

To be honest, I am having some second thoughts on getting the 2nd shot.

https://www.austin360.com/story/news/healthcare/2021/04/11/dont-skip-second-covid-19-vaccine-dose-fear-side-effects/7144432002/

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210114-covid-19-how-effective-is-a-single-vaccine-dose

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/business/covid-vaccines-second-doses.html

Quoted from pinlink:

I have also read that after the first Pfizer vaccine that you are around 80% vaccinated. That sounds pretty good to me.

With the Pfizer and Moderna shots, if you only get the first dose, the vaccine is only 60% to 80% effective at preventing symptomatic disease. That second dose brings that efficacy to 95%

If you don't take the second shot, it looks like its effectiveness may wear off a lot faster than if you actually complete both vaccinations since the second shot is what makes your immune system store long-term antibodies for covid.

As the chief executive of Pfizer, Albert Bourla, explained in December that it would be a "big mistake" to skip the second dose, because it almost doubles the amount of protection you get.

Pfizer and BioNTech themselves have already urged caution on the grounds that their data ends at day 21, and "there is no data to demonstrate that protection after the first dose is sustained after 21 days". It's possible that the protection people seem to have will suddenly drop off after that point – in fact, this wouldn't be surprising based on the way the immune system usually works.

Mounting evidence collected in trials and from real-world immunization campaigns points to the peril of people skipping their second doses. Compared with the two-dose regimen, a single shot triggers a weaker immune response and may leave recipients more susceptible to dangerous virus variants. And even though a single dose provides partial protection against Covid, it’s not clear how long that protection will last.

Quoted from pinlink:

According to the study 127 out of 21,645 went to the hospital (.6%). 2 died, although 4 people died in the placebo group so...

To you have a tendency to have to go to the hospital when you get a cold or the flu? If not, then you'll probably be fine even if cold/flu symptoms do emerge.

#22532 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I had a family member who was a chronic worrier. Often times, the anxiety was worse than whatever they happened to be worrying about.
If the anxiety seriously that bad, maybe talk to a doctor about something to take the edge off of that before you go for your shot.

I've heard about too. At the worst, flu symptoms for a day or two. I've also heard from some people who just said they were tired and needed a nap. A few others didn't really notice much of anything.
Personally, I scheduled my second does on a Friday and cleared my weekend. I also made sure I have plenty of food, soup, crackers, Tylenol, blankets, and plenty of movies & tv shows if I need to use any of that.
It's pretty unusual that you can actually schedule and prepare for the possibility of a couple days of being sick.
Personally, I'll take that over the possibility of unexpectedly contracting covid, quarantining for two weeks, possibly ending up in the hospital, and possibly expediting long-term lung and/or heart problems.
To me, contracting covid sounds far more disruptive, inconvenient, and risky than not taking the second shot.

https://www.austin360.com/story/news/healthcare/2021/04/11/dont-skip-second-covid-19-vaccine-dose-fear-side-effects/7144432002/
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210114-covid-19-how-effective-is-a-single-vaccine-dose
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/business/covid-vaccines-second-doses.html

If you don't take the second shot, it looks like its effectiveness may wear off a lot faster than if you actually complete both vaccinations since the second shot is what makes your immune system store long-term antibodies for covid.

To you have a tendency to have to go to the hospital when you get a cold or the flu? If not, then you'll probably be fine even if cold/flu symptoms do emerge.

When I got my 2nd shot I had only the sore arm and a touch of a higher temp for a few hours.No problems.My wife had a sore arm only.If you get temporary symptoms and discomfort its just your body working how it should.Almost 600,000 americans we know of did not get a chance to take the shots.

#22533 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I guess I am realizing I have a (irrational?) fear of getting sick and ending up in a hospital.

You've obviously looked over all the percentages in weighing risks so you know the benefits of getting fully vaccinated outweigh the alternatives. I'll take body aches that I got after the 2nd shot of chronic illness or worse any day of the week.

#22534 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I have horrible anxiety. And I know that after the shot, I will be incredibly anxious to see what side effects I have and how severe. This will certainly cause me to have panic attacks. That alone makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Quoted from pinlink:

I have also read that after the first Pfizer vaccine that you are around 80% vaccinated. That sounds pretty good to me.

You've sort of answered your own question. As someone with extreme anxiety, I think it will start to weigh on you heavily if you are only partially protected. If you get the second shot and boost that immunity up to the full 95%, I'm guessing you will find it much less stressful as you re-enter society.

#22535 2 years ago

Hey pinlink, i was stressing about pfizer's 2nd shot too. Thankfully the worst I had was feeling drowsy like I just took some cough medicine. Hopefully your 2nd shot is no worse.

#22536 2 years ago

Just about everyone I have talked with had either no side effects from the 2nd dose beyond a mild soreness at the injection site or a little feeling of fatigue and possibly a mild headache. I had the fatigue and very mild headache and it was gone 36 hours after the 2nd dose. The side effects of the vaccine are nothing compared to getting a bad covid disease so please get the 2nd dose and sleep well knowing you are getting the maximum protection possible.

#22537 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So I got my first Pfizer vaccine about 20 days ago and scheduled to get my 2nd dose tomorrow afternoon. 
To be honest, I am having some second thoughts on getting the 2nd shot. I know that sounds strange since I already committed to getting it, but it seems like ever since I got the first shot, I have seen more and more info about people getting terribly sick after their second dose. Admittedly, a lot of this has been anecdotal evidence but it has me feeling very anxious about going in tomorrow. Even though I am getting Pfizer and not J&J or Astra Zeneca, those stories are contributing to my feelings toward the 2nd shot. 
I spent some time last night reading the Dec 2020 study by CDC where they tested the vaccine on about 48k people (half got vaccine half got placebo) trying to convince myself that everything will be fine. At some points I felt great about getting it, other times I was super freaked out about the potentially severe side effects (having to go to the hospital). According to the study 127 out of 21,645 went to the hospital (.6%). 2 died, although 4 people died in the placebo group so... 
I have also read that after the first Pfizer vaccine that you are around 80% vaccinated. That sounds pretty good to me. I had no side effects after the first shot other than sore arm, not sure if that has an effect on side effects for the 2nd. 
I guess I am realizing I have a (irrational?) fear of getting sick and ending up in a hospital. And I have been able to avoid getting Covid for over a year now, and the vaccine is basically guaranteeing that I will be sick for a couple of days, or possibly worse.

I gave this an upvote for having the balls to admit your fears in this thread knowing the landslide of responses itll spawn.

#22538 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I gave this an upvote for having the balls to admit your fears in this thread knowing the landslide of responses itll spawn.

Good call. I appreciate people being honest about this sort of thing. Anxiety is no joke either.

#22539 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

This January (only 3 months ago...), at a time when people in Europe and the US were suffering through the peak of the second wave of the pandemic, here is what the Indian P.M. said at the World Economic Forum:

“Friends, I have brought the message of confidence, positivity and hope from 1.3 billion Indians amid these times of apprehension … It was predicted that India would be the most affected country from corona all over the world. It was said that there would be a tsunami of corona infections in India, somebody said 700-800 million Indians would get infected while others said 2 million Indians would die.”

“Friends, it would not be advisable to judge India’s success with that of another country. In a country which is home to 18% of the world population, that country has saved humanity from a big disaster by containing corona effectively.”

Some speeches age better than others.

#22540 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

To be honest, I am having some second thoughts on getting the 2nd shot.

Can I agree with you? Yes I can. To be very honest, I was scared of both shots. My biggest fear was that I had to be near people to get them! Add that to the anxiety of even getting this thing, so much so that I ended up crying while getting it. The nurse kept telling me I needed to relax my arm, and I told her through tears that this was the best she was going to get.

For the fear of getting sick after the second shot, as ForceFlow said very well, it is WAY better than getting Covid and dealing with being sick from that. I know a lot of people that have had all 3 vaccines that are approved. Through work I know a ton more. Plus I had mine (Pfizer). For me, I was feeling tired and off for about 12 hours (couldn't focus). And I'd say from what I've seen, that is very average. In others I've seen nothing, sore arms, tired, minor fever, chills, aches. But I have not seen a single one that was bad. Bed for a day, and back on their feet. I've taken to recommending people take the next day off from work if they can. It seems to hit about 24 hours after the shot. But again, not in everyone, and not that bad.

Overall it is fairly easy. Then you have a couple days of more anxiety, and then a couple weeks later (after your second) you realize you won't catch Covid. And that is a really nice feeling.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've read that if you just skip the second for Pfizer and Moderna, the effectiveness of only the one shot starts dropping after 10 weeks. A single dose can give you pretty good protection, but it is only short term.

#22541 2 years ago

Thanks, all. Feeling better about it already.

ForceFlow Thanks for all the great info and articles, I read all of them.

I am planning to get the 2nd shot tomorrow afternoon. Will post back here and let you know how it goes.

Here is another article I found to be helpful for anyone else that may feel anxious about getting the vaccine: https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2021/feb/5-tips-for-handling-covid-19-vaccine-anxiety/

From the article: ""With any feeling of anxiety, it can be beneficial to turn to someone you trust for support. While this can be hard to do during the pandemic, even something simple as talking through your decision with someone on the phone can help reassure you," says Dr. Orme. "Let the person know you're nervous and give them space to constructively weigh in on your decision-making process if they have concerns."

I guess I just did this by posting in this thread, and yeah, it really did help. Thanks again.

#22542 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Hey pinlink, i was stressing about pfizer's 2nd shot too. Thankfully the worst I had was feeling drowsy like I just took some cough medicine. Hopefully your 2nd shot is no worse.

Got my 2nd shot yesterday morning and had a similar experience. I was sluggish for the rest of the day, but I woke up today feeling great and basically sprung out of bed this morning, energized and relieved.

#22544 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I am planning to get the 2nd shot tomorrow afternoon. Will post back here and let you know how it goes.

My wife and youngest both had flu like symptoms after the second shot. It lasted ~24 hours and then they felt totally fine.

#22545 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I had my 2nd Moderna yesterday, I feel like I have a hangover today and moved a few pinball games, just tired and sore. No biggie. I'm quitting work early and plan to drink a beer or two on the couch watching movies.

#22546 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Only in the US! There's been so many crazy anti Covid, anti masks, and anti vaccine issues here but this one ranks near the top. The rest of the world has to be laughing at us.

#22547 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I am planning to get the 2nd shot tomorrow afternoon.

The worst reaction I personally have heard of is Severe flu like symptoms starting 24 hours after the shot lasting for 48 hours. Again this is a worst case scenario. The majority of the people I know have no side effects or very little! Not trying to scare you, but I am sure you have had the flu, so that kind of gives you a worst case scenario to gauge off of.

The shingles vaccine kicked my ass a 1000 times worse then the COVID vaccine, I even asked the person giving the COVID vaccine which was worse, she said hands down the shingles vaccine! So, if you haven't had the shingles shot, that's something to look forward to! Best of luck and I am sure you'll be fine! You really do have a feeling of relief and freedom after you are 100% done!

#22548 2 years ago

I follow a few climbers on social media that are climbing Everest. There is a Covid outbreak at basecamp that one climber described as a 'shit show'. They have been evacuating sick via helicopter. This is surprising for several reasons. These are wealthy world travelers that I would assume have access to vaccine. It also shows that relatively young, very fit athletes can be knocked down hard with the virus. Battling the virus at high altitude seems like a scary situation. Everest is a beast and it seems each year has its own high stakes drama. I find it fascinating to follow each season.

#22549 2 years ago

I'm still a bit tired on day four after first AstraZeneca shot. It was pretty rough, but way better than covid!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 451 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/451 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.