New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 264520)

The official Coronavirus containment thread

By Daditude

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20,575 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,977 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

source.gif
downloadfile (resized).jpg
vax (resized).jpg
vax (resized).jpg
dasdf (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 5.08.25 PM (resized).png
d37424963aea3e381aadb0a3c3de9822d6df79ce.jpeg (resized).jpg
IMG_20201202_220753 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201201-232212~2 (resized).png
potkettleblack (resized).jpg
AC11569E-C52C-4257-AF14-752F6598EC6F (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201129-150307~3 (resized).png
Screenshot_20201128-235204~2 (resized).png
me (resized).png
Screenshot_20201127-235526~2 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 11.13.48 AM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

137 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 20579 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 412.
#2251 8 months ago
Screenshot_20200324-002629~2 (resized).png
#2252 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, we are gonna need them, cause keeping hotels and golf courses open is more important to some people than keeping us off ventilators.

Yeah, real easy for Dan Patrick to talk like he's some kind of fucking patriotic martyr when he's safe and sound in his mansion.

#2253 8 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The debate between Millions of Deaths or Economy is now center stage.
I did this battle with my brother. He wants to have seen just let the virus take its course,
instead of the economic loss.... "Should have done it from the start"
When we get to numbers, and he quotes Bloomberg, WSJ, etc...The Mortality rates all assume one thing,
EVERYONE getting treatment.
In letting it run the course, we are clueless to the death rate with no treatment of all ages.
We dont know, if that could help mutation.
We dont know if that makes the estimate go from 1-2 Million people, to 20-30 Million people.....
We do have to ask the question very soon, which is that we didnt follow Asian models of War on this,
and we may have to concede Pandemic, and let the shit fly.
I am not sure how the country will respond to piles of Bodies, people dying alone and bleeding out,
and the horrors, we have yet to know.
Equally, we dont know if we will have a vaccine soon.
How Much Money lost, is a Life worth?
How Many deaths are an "Acceptable" sacrifice for anyone to decide?
Will we be Ok with these images?
NY will give us these answers in the next 3 weeks.

Just let him know if we just let it run its course, there will be mass burials of bodies without funerals at landfills or wherever possible like they are on Italy right now.

If he is okay with that, just tell him he needs to volunteer to help with the bodies. Of course, there are younger people dying from this as well ( like the 36 year old Brooklyn principal today), so if he is one of the unlucky ones, he may not have that option.

#2254 8 months ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Got damnit!
No.
Please lock down the state. FML

They should have done that 10 days ago. Many of the early cases in Utah and the outbreak in Park City have been traced back to tourists from NYC or locals that traveled to the area for work.

#2255 8 months ago

The US needs to lock down immediately and hard. After seeing this news report, we've been warned. This is terrifying but collectively we can be resourceful and hopefully hit the brakes.

#2256 8 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

Looks like a country that’s ready to open for business! Nothing to see here.

#2257 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looks like a country that’s ready to open for business! Nothing to see here.

Looks like the missile strike map from the movie War Games.

4BB7DA5A-0855-4BEE-AF58-9E6964FAF372 (resized).jpeg
#2258 8 months ago
Screenshot_20200324-025154~2 (resized).png
#2259 8 months ago

Not everything in the hardware store is life sustaining, but we can't let that get in the way of capturing as much business as possible while they have a captive market!!! WTF dude.

20200324_060546 (resized).jpg
#2260 8 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Not everything in the hardware store is life sustaining, but we can't let that get in the way of capturing as much business as possible while they have a captive market!!! WTF dude.[quoted image]

Come on dude. You know Ace is the place. John Madden told us too.

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
#2261 8 months ago

US is going to overtake China for top spot by the end of the week (as of this morning 46,450 cases). Surpassing Italy most likely Thursday. Science insider has a pretty good video about what COVID actually does.

#2262 8 months ago

UK in lockdown now, only allowed to leave house once for exercise / food shop or medical reason. Basically all shops are now shut.

Crazy times will definitely look back on this and think wtf in the future lol

#2263 8 months ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

US is going to overtake China for top spot by the end of the week (as of this morning 46,450 cases). Surpassing Italy most likely Thursday. Science insider has a pretty good video about what COVID actually does.

Showed video to my kindergartener this morning and she was like “oooohhh that’s why I can’t go to school”.

Thank you.

#2264 8 months ago

Ohio started their two week lockdown at midnight last night. On my way home from work this morning there were cars out the ass on the roads. So much for Ohio's lockdown I guess. Businesses are thumbing their noses at the governors lockdown looks like.

#2265 8 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ohio started their two week lockdown at midnight last night. On my way home from work this morning there were cars out the ass on the roads. So much for Ohio's lockdown I guess. Businesses are thumbing their noses at the governors lockdown looks like.

It's a shame. This is a case where human hubris is going to do so much real damage.

#2266 8 months ago

Sometimes what is interesting about information sites, and How they handle feedback.
Watching closely, and often, if a story on Fox produces Too much negative commentary
almost ONLY on one person, they shut it down. In response to the Country-Virus name debate,
people have been pushing back and calling it the TrumpVirus.

This is simply infuriating enough to censor public statements.

Which direction do we go today? Open Country, or Locked Down to fight this?

#2267 8 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:Ohio started their two week lockdown at midnight last night. On my way home from work this morning there were cars out the ass on the roads. So much for Ohio's lockdown I guess. Businesses are thumbing their noses at the governors lockdown looks like.

It’s pretty much the same in Illinois, if there’s no enforcement not much will change.

#2268 8 months ago

There are way too many exemptions of the list of people allowed to stay open. Big businesses are pushing their suppliers to stay open, and some have questionable motives. Once a big chain store like Ace is allowed to be open for necessities, they push every supplier of theirs to stay open, which pushes everyone down the chain open. The cardboard box manufacturer, the truck driver, the wood skid manufacturer, the packaging plastic manufacturer, the product label manufacturer, forklift repair, etc. So now pretty much everyone is open. I hardly saw any businesses closed yesterday on my way home from work. Even the lawnmower repair place was business as usual.

A friend of mine works in the oil/air filter biz, and the big fire truck manufacturers and everyone else you can think of that uses their oil and air filters sent out pretty much the same letter.

All we are doing is allowing this to blow up worse than it needs to be. Are there that many cities out there that will be at deaths door if their new Pierce fire truck is delivered 2-3 weeks later than estimated?

#2270 8 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

There are way too many exemptions of the list of people allowed to stay open. Big businesses are pushing their suppliers to stay open, and some have questionable motives. Once a big chain store like Ace is allowed to be open for necessities, they push every supplier of theirs to stay open, which pushes everyone down the chain open. The cardboard box manufacturer, the truck driver, the wood skid manufacturer, the packaging plastic manufacturer, the product label manufacturer, forklift repair, etc. So now pretty much everyone is open. I hardly saw any businesses closed yesterday on my way home from work. Even the lawnmower repair place was business as usual.
A friend of mine works in the oil/air filter biz, and the big fire truck manufacturers and everyone else you can think of that uses their oil and air filters sent out pretty much the same letter.
All we are doing is allowing this to blow up worse than it needs to be. Are there that many cities out there that will be at deaths door if their new Pierce fire truck is delivered 2-3 weeks later than estimated?

Exactly, GameStop is deemed essential, Haha.

#2271 8 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Exactly, GameStop is deemed essential, Haha.

Not any more. The governor of PA pulled their PA business license and they wound up closing all US stores at that time.

#2272 8 months ago

You know how a few weeks ago we were mocking the Chinese for using bras and water jugs as PPE? Yeah about that...We honestly aren’t too far away from that ourselves.

Wife and I were researching and making plans to produce our own masks in the event her work runs out. However, The word has gotten out and people are making their own, (presumably to donate) and now the fabric stores are running out of elastic bands and the like. We have enough elastic bands lying around to make a dozen or so and then...

So then we went down the rabbit hole and saw more and more how to’s about how to convert things like bras into masks.

Yikes.

#2273 8 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Not any more. The governor of PA pulled their PA business license and they wound up closing all US stores at that time.

Good to hear, I was just reading that the employees at Michaels up here, the craft store, are complaining because they are open.

#2274 8 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sometimes what is interesting about information sites, and How they handle feedback.
Watching closely, and often, if a story on Fox produces Too much negative commentary
almost ONLY on one person, they shut it down. In response to the Country-Virus name debate,
people have been pushing back and calling it the TrumpVirus.
This is simply infuriating enough to censor public statements.
Which direction do we go today? Open Country, or Locked Down to fight this?

i myself am willing to give up my health so my grandkids can play with their happy meals inside the store..so i loss a lung..worth it to me to open this thing up as i dont want my grandson to loss his chance to get on a game show or anything..over 60? its your duty!

#2275 8 months ago

And then you have these f'Ing idiots here. This is a mega church, not your typical church...its HUGE!!!

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0OWSzyKA?s=a99&pd=036lRQ6C

#2276 8 months ago

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

#2277 8 months ago

One positive thing I did notice is that the gas station and grocery store in town put x’s on the floor 6 ft apart in the cashier lines and people were using them.

#2278 8 months ago

I see https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ has added another column: Deaths per million.

Worldometers (resized).jpg
#2279 8 months ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

i myself am willing to give up my health so my grandkids can play with their happy meals inside the store..so i loss a lung..worth it to me to open this thing up as i dont want my grandson to loss his chance to get on a game show or anything..over 60? its your duty!

I can respect your position, willing to die for the "Economy", but unfortunately what can be left out of this decision you might make, would be the death of others. Now, likely you wont know them, so one might still believe it is a noble cause. What if your decision, god-forbid, killed your Grandchildren, Would you still believe as you do?
We have a family friend with a 5 year old with the virus in critical condition.
The Virus doesnt care what age you are. All statistics Assume Treatment.

#2280 8 months ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Anyone else gaining weight and almost out of bourbon?

Haha. The ice cream and frozen pizza sections at my local grocery store have had low stock over these past two weeks. I grabbed the last two Ben and Jerry cookie dough pints at my local Kroger last week lol. Also, I try every week to make a Detroit style pizza at home. Flour, especially bread flour, has been hard to find over the past couple weeks.

#2281 8 months ago

Do you have any bread machine yeast? I’ll send you a case of paper towels.

Add a 5 pounder of bread flour and the recipe and I can add a large can of lysol.

I’m serious. We may need a pinside fs/ft thread for household goods.

#2282 8 months ago

Agree:

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Trump ally, advised against shifting course, calling it "a major mistake" in an interview with the Washington Post. “I just spoke with Dr. Fauci — he believes that, if anything, we should be more aggressive and do more."

Graham continued: "You can’t have a functioning economy if you have hospitals overflowing."

#2283 8 months ago

Harris County in Texas just issued lock down effective tonight (3/25/2020) midnight.
Got my 'essential business' letter to show should it be needed. Just hope there are businesses near me that still need our products.
In the mean time I could ramp up translite creations.

#2284 8 months ago

Wow, thanks for the link. There has to be something like this going on with the severe cases, with a few extra compromised outliers thrown in for confusion - plus is explains why children are generally asymptomatic. Older>Male>high blood pressure meds> etc. If this is true, you might see less severe cases in not-so-developed countries. It's a mystery, but there's got to be an answer. Hope we've got our TOP MEN working on it.

#2285 8 months ago

In the UK, McDonalds closed down across the country yesterday. In the final few hours of opening, the queues at our local drive-thru backed up through the town so far that the police were out controlling the traffic. First world problems....

#2286 8 months ago
Quoted from Snux:

In the UK, McDonalds closed down across the country yesterday. In the final few hours of opening, the queues at our local drive-thru backed up through the town so far that the police were out controlling the traffic. First world problems....

Society has forgotten how to cook.

#2287 8 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Agree:
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Trump ally, advised against shifting course, calling it "a major mistake" in an interview with the Washington Post. “I just spoke with Dr. Fauci — he believes that, if anything, we should be more aggressive and do more."
Graham continued: "You can’t have a functioning economy if you have hospitals overflowing."

Yeah, hopefully Republican leadership stands up to him and tells him to pound sand on this one. Republican or Democrat, I just think this is a bad decision from a public health standpoint.

#2288 8 months ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Society has forgotten how to cook.

This should be a boon for companies like Hello Fresh and Good Food. Weekly delivered groceries with instructions!

#2289 8 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I just think this is a bad decision from a public health standpoint.

Only all of the evidence on the entire planet points in that direction...you’d think it was obvious...

#2290 8 months ago

We can't let science and evidence get in the way of hunches and miracles!

#2291 8 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Thanks Craig! If you want a distraction or break from our daily COVID reading extravaganza....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vampire-restoration-input-suggestions-welcome
In times of crisis...always powdercoat the rear backbox panel.
Now back to our regularly-scheduled shitshow...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

One of my favorite movies is The Right Stuff with Ed Harris, Sam Shepard, Scott Glenn, Fred Ward. I always like that part where these military wonks would look at each other and say, "fuckin' A Bubba" ! I don't want to repeat a vulgarity in polite company, so Fn A Bubba ! You do nice work !!

#2292 8 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

“I just spoke with Dr. Fauci — he believes that, if anything, we should be more aggressive and do more."

To summarize, now that it's too late for us for the "Aggressively track and isolate the few cases found" strategy (Singapore, Taiwan), we are left we three possible options:

(1) Do nothing, let people work. Business as usual. Just close a few events and wear masks on TV. This is basically what Iran is doing right now. Human death toll will be absolutely horrible, even Iran's population is younger than Italy's, for example. Most people have no other choice than to keep working, not necessarily because the government forces them to, but because no job equals no food.

(2) Close everything, impose a very severe curfew, lock people in their homes for 2+ months. Basically what China did in Wuhan / Hubei province. It *does* stop the infection but the economical cost is huge - not to mention impact on moral and sanity...

(3) Take the middle path: close schools and a few non essential events (large gatherings indoor for example), but not factories or transport.

My impression is that solution (3) (the "middle truth" according to Kevin Kuleck...) is not a good one. The disease is so contagious it will still spread, and the economical cost will be still be important once your hospitals are overwhelmed (you won't flatten the curve enough but will perhaps delay massive contagion by 2 weeks ?). In addition people will be afraid and won't go out to restaurants, or have to keep the children at home. They will also stockpile essential items and create shortages, economical exchanges with other countries will be slowed, etc...

No matter what, the tourism industry will be either totally disrupted (2) or extremely affected (1,3).

To me the only viable solution for a wealthy and (relatively) aging country is 2) while poorer countries won't have any choice but (1), while pretending to actually take measures and claim (3).

#2293 8 months ago

I can't help but wonder what the real death toll was in China.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-closing-of-21-million-cell-phone-accounts-in-china-may-suggest-a-high-ccp-virus-death-toll_3281291.html

This article is probably bogus and I know this website is . . . out there but i wonder. Another interesting article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8077787/Disturbing-black-rain-reported-falling-parts-Japan.html

Someday we will know the truth. I wonder if the truth would help us make better decisions today. sigh . . .

#2294 8 months ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-closing-of-21-million-cell-phone-accounts-in-china-may-suggest-a-high-ccp-virus-death-toll_3281291.html
This article is probably bogus and I know this website is . . . out there but i wonder. Another interesting article.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8077787/Disturbing-black-rain-reported-falling-parts-Japan.html
Someday we will know the truth. I wonder if the truth would help us make better decisions today. sigh . . .

The smoke from the crematories could be seen on satellite from space relatively early on. I don't believe the official number for a minute.

#2295 8 months ago

I am shocked that our local media here in OC and LA areas are promoting take out day. Encouraging everyone to order Take out today.
WTF?
I think this is a very bad idea. Not saying our fast food workers hands aren't washed enough. Not saying take out from local Italian isnt amazing. Just thinking, stay the Fuck at Home!!!
This is how it will spread further.
Avoid the Drive-thru gang.

#2297 8 months ago

One good thing has come from this in my house so far. Yesterday my wife finally used the pasta maker that we've had for close to 20 years. It was so delicious that I don't think I can go back to boxed pasta.

#2298 8 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

To me the only viable solution

Stimulus should pay a % of payroll to keep workers getting checks, not a blank check bailout. Send people direct money.

All other solutions seem to kill people AND kill economy...you can’t run a business if half your employees get sick and the healthcare system stresses and breaks.

This cure/disease meme is dangerous.

#2299 8 months ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

I have friends and colleagues in Jiangsu province and I visit them quite often.
The situation is much better than in France right now. Universities are open (but for staff, not yet for students. Expected to reopen mid-April). Hospital are OK (hospitals are not OK anymore in France). Travel restrictions were severe, and are just starting to be softened.

I don't believe for a second 21 millions people died because 21 millions cell phones went dead. It's just that cell phones were not a priority anymore for some people, especially when locked at home (as long as you have internet).

On the other hand, the death toll in Wuhan was probably worse than reported. And we'll probably never know the really death toll in Iran (especially in Qom).

#2300 8 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

And we'll probably never know the really death toll in Iran (especially in Qom).

Or in the US since testing has failed. True number of cases will likely never be known

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 235.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 199.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.95
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 1,000.00
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
$ 229.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 79.99
Great American Pinball
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 24.95
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 12.00
Tools
Troxel Repair
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 20579 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 412.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside