272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 576.
#6301 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

What kind of construction?

Im a subcontractor, I work primarily on these beachfront Mcmansions we have so many of here now. The building of these has pretty much slowed down to a stop since this started, most of them are funded by investors who are probably a little hesitant to be funding the building of a bunch of beachfront vacation houses right now.

Well, I was way too late going to the Walmart. I would have had to have fought my way in, the entrance was blocked with people trying to get in past the mile long line of loaded carts snaking all across the front part of the store waiting to check out. It was a madhouse. I bailed and ran into a Publix, where I was able to grab one pack of pork chops, two ribeyes and a pack of hot dogs and quickly check out at customer service and get the hell out.
Looks like steaks for dinner!

#6302 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

At least a few of us contemporary art nerds around

I worked at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum as head preparator when Harry Philbrick became director. The precocious son Indigo Philbrick would walk around and look at the art we were hanging. Little did I know he would become famous. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Google Indigo Philbrick. You will find it entertaining.

#6303 4 years ago

Bill Gates is incredibly smart and it's amazing to see him devoting his retirement years to helping others around the world. Everyone who lived through the Spanish Flu (except for the very few now in their 100's) are gone. It seems like governments and humanity in general got rather lazy over the past 100 years in regards to global epidemic prevention.

Here's the full video

#6304 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

One time in the gameroom thread someone spotted a Tehching Hsieh photograph on my wall and was able to make a joke about it's circumstances!
At least a few of us contemporary art nerds around
By hoe do you figure 3 people?

You, him, and the original poster?

Quoted from o-din:

That is the point I would lay down under the avocado tree.

From now on I’m not saying “kick the bucket”... I’m saying “lay down under the avocado tree”. It’s much more poignant and poetic.

Thanks Odin

#6305 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I’m saying “lay down under the avocado tree”.

It's been my plan for years because there aren't many left around here to give me a true Indian burial.

#6306 4 years ago

Hey Doc,
From what I am reading, it appears that individuals that are put on a ventilator are often pretty severely impacted from a life-quality standpoint if they manage to survive. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. There was an interesting article in the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/article/ventilator-coronavirus.html) and I am curious if your experience is consistent with the article.

Thank you

#6307 4 years ago

Why in the world are they talking about the war on drugs during the Corona briefing?

#6308 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why in the world are they talking about the war on drugs during the Corona briefing?

"Hey guys, I know I messed up on the corona, but I'm sure gonna get those drug guys!! I'm doing SOMEthing right...right?!?"

wow.

#6309 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I no longer view these briefings. I am depending on the media to do it for me and let me know what - it anything - of value was discussed.

Thanks media! Doing an awesome job during this crisis.

#6310 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

Some people use the asterisk after his name to denote his impeachment. Kind of like Barry Bond's homerun record with an asterisk. He has the title, but with a caveat.

As an apolitical person who enjoys sports I thank you for the clarification.

#6312 4 years ago

Have we just jumped the shark?

#6313 4 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Have we just jumped the shark?

I think we jumped it long ago, this is a painfully obvious bait and switch.

#6314 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Pa just announced theirs today also. We did have county by county lock downs but not a state wide lock down.
Ps. Your state is also hidden. Just an FYI if you didn't know.[quoted image]

I think everything is hidden unless we follow each other. I live in Maryland.

#6315 4 years ago

This is just embarrassing. F’ing unbelievable.

#6316 4 years ago

"For me, this chart is the most alarming of the latest batch.

US & UK daily death tolls are accelerating in a straight line on a log scale chart, i.e still increasing exponentially.

~All other countries had begun slowing the rate of increase in deaths by now."

IMG_20200401_181122 (resized).jpgIMG_20200401_181122 (resized).jpg
#6317 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Maybe this is more realistic. Everything is speculation. Nobody can predict the future....[quoted image]

That’s pretty stark, actually. Hopefully the distancing will lower the % even further. The news that most people that go on vents don’t make it is also alarming. As is the fact that if you’re over 50, the chance of you dying goes up quite a bit too.

Probably why tempers flare a little around here.

I got lucky today. For the first time in a week I was able to actually get groceries delivered. And my beer store has a call ahead and pick up system that they have down pretty good. No one in the store, parking lot pick up that keeps the distancing and has plenty of disinfectant handy. All the guys that work there are ready to assist on however you need to wrangle your beer to get it in your car clean. I was able to remove the plastic from a case of Guinness, leave it on the ground, and then deposit my gloves on the ground as well and they took care of it. Simply brilliant.

Now, I need a 1.75 of good Rye and and another .750 of Cinzano Rosso. Wonder if the hard licks outfit has their shit together?

#6318 4 years ago

I just noticed the correlation with my pinside pulse..
I thought I was plateauing... then that just happened

16CCE126-0932-47B3-890B-7C318985B1CB (resized).jpeg16CCE126-0932-47B3-890B-7C318985B1CB (resized).jpeg
#6319 4 years ago

Why Governor DeSantis chose to Lockdown. Apparently Governors communicate with Presidents
on What to do.

Who would have guessed, that Government worked that way.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20200401/coronavirus-florida-desantis-orders-statewide-lockdown

#6320 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:Here is something that went down in my hometown:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/31/coronavirus-test-sites-operate-without-louisvilles-knowledge/5100299002/?fbclid=IwAR0cEWi7yzP1C5umVJclV6oyD91MspkQOaGIts2qnu8P4b8SxgSiwkMC1_c
It appears that some 'testing' companies opened up some drive-in testing facilities over the weekend. There was no coordination with local governments or health officials. It was being run by marketing companies and charging 200-250 a pop for tests. This was all done in poorer areas of town.
It appears to be shady as hell.

Jesus H Christ. Where is the decency? It’s really disgusting and sad and just about every other shitty thing you can imagine.

This is why entrepreneurship can’t be allowed to run wild. Think about it. And then abstract it to a much grander scale.

#6321 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Hey Doc,
From what I am reading, it appears that individuals that are put on a ventilator are often pretty severely impacted from a life-quality standpoint if they manage to survive. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. There was an interesting article in the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/article/ventilator-coronavirus.html) and I am curious if your experience is consistent with the article.
Thank you

I will hit the NY times paywall so I can't read the article.

However, I will try to answer your question.

Ventilator support is a last resort measure. It's often the difference between living and dying but it does have drawbacks. The lungs are meant to be a negative pressure system, they suck air in. A ventilator turns them into a positive pressure system as it forces air in. That does damage over time to the lung tissue. Usually when patients are on a vent long term (more than a couple weeks) there are adverse effects on the lungs themselves. The patient is more susceptible to pneumonia and other infections. Pneumothoraces can occur (holes in the lung tissue and then air leaks into the chest cavity).

In the case of COVID-19 I would say the majority of the issue is the ARDS itself. This is a severe respiratory condition with a very high fatality rate. The fact that we can save anyone at all with ARDS is pretty remarkable. There may be long term lung scarring related to ARDS in a survivor.

But, it's better than the alternative in most cases.

#6322 4 years ago

Now folks, I am REALLY not trying to get booted from this thread. But doesn’t this underscore the importance of a free press, that can get to the facts with hard nosed - and often risky - investigative reporting? And isn’t it nice to be able to count on such a thing in a world where power had the potential to corrupt absolutely, and do whatever it can to stifle truth?

The first step is not to look at news as political. And if you are having trouble, find different news sources. But the bottom line is news sources are allowed to have an opinion - it’s called “commentary” and “Op-Ed” - but those opinions can still be rooted in truth, whereby the reader makes their own decision. Note I said reader. Very little TV news is worth the time if you’re actually trying to get to the heart of something.

#6323 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/100#post-5562108

#6324 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Hey Doc,

Try opening an incognito or private browsing tab and then copying the url/link into the window.

Usually works for me.

Some sites have gotten smarter than that but most work that way still.

#6325 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I cant believe it took Florida until today to announce a stay at home order.

And it's a garbage one at that... when you look at the details

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-91.pdf

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-83.pdf

#6326 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:Florida. Am I the only person that can see the city and state next to my avatar?
[quoted image]

I can’t see it when you post. but I see it in your screenshot.

#6327 4 years ago

had to turn the tv off. My apologies for

141E1900-82A2-47C0-89F6-22A4FE2A3491 (resized).jpeg141E1900-82A2-47C0-89F6-22A4FE2A3491 (resized).jpeg
#6328 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Hey Doc,
Try opening an incognito or private browsing tab and then copying the url/link into the window.
Usually works for me.
Some sites have gotten smarter than that but most work that way still.

Thanks, I guess the Times is running a no subscription offer during this pandemic so I just had to give them an email address. More spam for me! Yay!

So the article is a decent description of how a vent is used for the average person.

The longer term effects they talk about are PTSD and the like which can occur but this also can happen with almost any severe illness.

Again, it's better than the alternative. Unless maybe you're O-din and there's a nice avocado tree nearby...

#6329 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The part of that I would fear is the medically induced coma laying there to die.

Nope - you just suffocate from lack of oxygen.

#6330 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:We still don't have one in South Carolina.

There’s a joke here, just waiting to mushroom. But I’m not gonna bite.

#6331 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:The part of that I would fear is the medically induced coma laying there to die.
I would rather be able to move around and go outside, unless it was to the point of not being able to breathe at all. Then I'd probably just lay down under an avocado tree and let nature take it's course.

As that Italian doctor wrote (was quoted) - it’s a key post in this thread - aside from the absolute reality of death, the worst part of this, for those hospitalized, is the dying alone. That goes against every stand of human fiber throughout human history as I understand it.

It’s terribly sad.

#6332 4 years ago

Indeed.....Ive been pretty close, and know the feeling.

#6334 4 years ago

I like the Media cause it is free.
If I had to pay for Media I would cancel the service. Newspapers? I predicted their collapse 20 years ago.
Paywalls? Are you kidding? I enjoy reaching my 3 article free limit so I don't have to read the drivel anymore and
quickly know if I stumble upon one by accident.
Lets see, Fox,MSNBC NBC, CBS, and ABC? Wouldn't care if they dried up and blew away tomorrow.
CNN? They should pay me to watch.
CNBC sometimes has good Stock Market news. Glad its free. So some would say,"Where do you get your News?
I read lies from a dozen places and discernment reveals the truth.
Media going broke? Sue Facebook. Cut off Taxpayer funding for NPR, BBC, anyone else that follows this Model.
I tell you, every time you turn something on they will always be talking heads spouting propaganda, then a commercial
break for 15 minutes.

#6335 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:It’s terribly sad.

Yes it is

#6336 4 years ago

Wow they are still allowing church services? Pretty much all the churches in my town have closed up for the duration.
Also I dont think a lot of the “essential activities” listed are essential at all.
Yeah after reading through that order is pretty weak, doesnt seem to be that much different from whats been going on here the last couple weeks.

#6337 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

"Hey guys, I know I messed up on the corona, but I'm sure gonna get those drug guys!! I'm doing SOMEthing right...right?!?"
wow.

At this point, can’t we all just agree drugs for everyone? Responsibly anyway? An interesting offshoot of this might be a reexamination of the way our laws and justice system and prisons work. The US spends a lot of money on incarceration. And maybe some of it isn’t really all that necessary? Just a thought, because prisoners are being released in some places based on their age and the nature of their original crime, etc.

#6338 4 years ago

Ventilator support is a last resort measure. It's often the difference between living and dying but it does have drawbacks. The lungs are meant to be a negative pressure system, they suck air in. A ventilator turns them into a positive pressure system as it forces air in. That does damage over time to the lung tissue. Usually when patients are on a vent long term (more than a couple weeks) there are adverse effects on the lungs themselves. The patient is more susceptible to pneumonia and other infections. Pneumothoraces can occur (holes in the lung tissue and then air leaks into the chest cavity).
In the case of COVID-19 I would say the majority of the issue is the ARDS itself. This is a severe respiratory condition with a very high fatality rate. The fact that we can save anyone at all with ARDS is pretty remarkable. There may be long term lung scarring related to ARDS in a survivor.

Doc, NY Times and WaPo and probably other credible news agencies are giving free access to all their Corona related material. You might have to register (NYT for example), but then all the content in question is free and accessible.

#6339 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I like the Media cause it is free.

Here's some food for thought.

Have you ever had the media cover something you are an expert on? We can use pinball for example. Usually they will need to report or regurgitate the information the host of a pinball event is being provided to them. Even that or other topics have you caught them slipping up or missing some information?

It makes you wonder when they cover a topic you are NOT an expert on how much accuracy is lost or left out. Not putting anyone at fault or accusing them of lying.....just an observation.....things happen.

#6340 4 years ago

One more thing, great explanation Doc. Coincidentally, NPR in NY (WNYC, great station) had an in depth conversation on this exact point this afternoon. It’s really sobering.

#6341 4 years ago

So uh..

I bit/bit chewed on my nails for 37 years.

Anyone else have beautiful long lady like nails for the first time in their lives?

#6342 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

At this point, can’t we all just agree drugs for everyone? Responsibly anyway? An interesting offshoot of this might be a reexamination of the way our laws and justice system and prisons work. The US spends a lot of money on incarceration. And maybe some of it isn’t really all that necessary? Just a thought, because prisoners are being released in some places based on their age and the nature of their original crime, etc.

I've been looking forward to dispensing some Coca (leaf) Cola (nut) syrup some day. They would pour to syrup line, and then add hot water. Says delicious, exhilarating on one side and refreshing and invigorating on the other. I want to be invigorated. They used these dispensers until the 1930s, but I believe stopped using the coca leaf cola nut syrup formula around 1914. This is a 1973 replica.

20200331_173410 (resized).jpg20200331_173410 (resized).jpg
#6343 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

So uh..
I bit/bit chewed on my nails for 37 years.
Anyone else have beautiful long lady like nails for the first time in their lives?

Nope. The only time that happened in my life was when I was activated and because the conditions were nasty I purposely stopped myself and I hated it because I couldn't pick anything up and kept cutting myself. I'm convinced my bad/nasty habit is what has prevented me from getting sick that often.

#6344 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Here's some food for thought.
Have you ever had the media cover something you are an expert on? We can use pinball for example. Usually they will need to report or regurgitate the information the host of a pinball event is being provided to them. Even that or other topics have you caught them slipping up or missing some information?
It makes you wonder when they cover a topic you are NOT an expert on how much accuracy is lost or left out. Not putting anyone at fault or accusing them of lying.....just an observation.....things happen.

We don’t need the media to “report” on Pinball. And other like things. We need the media to report on world events that truly impact and shape the world as we know it. There is good media and there is bad. Frankly, to me it’s always been pretty easy to tell the difference. And a wise person chooses to invest their time in sources they believe are doing all they can to shine sunlight - a disinfectant of sorts - on all the hucksterism and absolute BS the world is told by people with truly something to gain by the truth being buried or discredited.

#6345 4 years ago

I wonder what happened that people dont trust the media.
Did someone say something?

Since retiring, I take them all in plus BBC, AlJazeera, India News, Turkish News, Russian News (tass)

Critical thinking is all it takes.

#6346 4 years ago

I like dry news, without a partisan slant either way agenda free.
Like Sgt. Friday "Just the facts Ma'am".
Everyone has a camera and an opinion these days, which is great. I can quickly identify key talking points they all use
and turn them off.
News organizations should never have any influence over an area, just give me the facts and go on.
Get a few non-partisan Robots to deliver Reports. Just show dry coverage of an Event, a news conference. Leave out
all the blather and opinions. This is why the Media is going broke. People don't fall for the lies, the slant, the agenda anymore.
They refuse to pay for it too.
Create a Dry News source and become rich.

#6347 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I like dry news, without a partisan slant either way agenda free.
Like Sgt. Friday "Just the facts Ma'am".
Everyone has a camera and an opinion these days, which is great. I can quickly identify key talking points they all use
and turn them off.
News organizations should never have any influence over an area, just give me the facts and go on.
Get a few non-partisan Robots to deliver Reports. Just show dry coverage of an Event, a news conference. Leave out
all the blather and opinions. This is why the Media is going broke. People don't fall for the lies, the slant, the agenda anymore.
They refuse to pay for it too.

Please share an example of where you find this?

Meanwhile, Whats going on in Texas, and some other states?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6348 4 years ago

A kind NH resident left this sticky note on an eighty year old woman’s car from Massachusetts that my wife knows. I guess she was wearing a mask shopping and the person felt angered.

23913509-2547-4025-B757-F7AC73F39C37 (resized).jpeg23913509-2547-4025-B757-F7AC73F39C37 (resized).jpeg
#6349 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Reuters and AP are both pretty dry. NPR and BBC can be as well, although people mistake their refusal to report bullshit as "leaning left."

#6350 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Please share an example of where you find this?
Meanwhile, Whats going on in Texas, and some other states?[quoted image]

So like in my state, while they haven't mandated stay at home, in general many people are actually doing it the best they can. We're much more laid back here and not constantly go go go gotta socialize. We drive an hour just to go to the grocery store.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.