PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 373.
#5551 6 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

I couldn't have said it better. Right now, I own 2 pinball machines that I can't/don't play. Batman 66, because I played the heck out of it so far, all the way up to 0.75 code, and don't want to ruin the magic of the theme by overplaying the same couple things over and over. And Star Wars because the latest code update literally breaks the machine (which I installed almost immediately on its release). So I can't play it until they release an update to fix it. As a Stern fan, it was a very souring weekend.
It might not have been so bad if JJP didn't show off their newest game. But seeing a company release a new game that they are going to stand behind and support with loads of options, modes, etc kind of made it even more aggravating, and I even started doing the math in my head ("if I sold my Batman SLE and lost $3000 on it, I could still afford the Pirates game and have some money left over...").
Eventually I decided not to make a move and wait it out, but like the previous person said, we're running out of time where Lyman is working exclusively on the Batman 66 machine before he has to move on.

I can only add......don't think JJP didn't (doesn't) have bugs, coding updates, etc.Being an early WOZ adopter, I can say the game was literally unplayable upon release, now a gem.

We've had a rough go lately, from incomplete code, challenging build quality, and small companies attempting to break into the business, across the board. However, I've never been more excited for this hobby, and the potential that is in front of us.

Ice's advise was (is) best - only pinball, spend time on some other machines, and breathe a bit. Hard to do sometimes (speaking from experience), but definitely the correct course.

#5552 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Worse is my realization that there just isn't enough progress or time for my grail theme BM66 to ever be completed like I hoped it would. I'm sure Lyman can make it better with probably one more intermediate-term update after whatever is in the hopper for next week, but reality dictates that he very soon must jump on Elvira(?) full time, and then I suspect that we'll go over a year before they "make another pass" on BM66 as they look back at it from their rear view mirror. After all, the assembly line must keep rolling and future big sellers like GotG, Iron Maiden, Beatles, Munsters, or whatever will rule the day. A year or so from now BM66 will settle about one rung above WWE in sales and be yesterday's news. I own plenty of other games to play and there are many non-Stern choices for great new games which I'll pursue, but I'm still very disappointed in what's happened this year with Stern and especially BM66. I know it's just business, but it feels personal right now.

I think this is a very likely possibility, which is really terrible for us. With each passing day that code isn't even Beta, there is a greater likelihood that our game will end up like Kiss or WoF. I have a premium and I feel like Stern deceived me, I can't imagine how the folks feel who paid twice as much for an SLE. Even though there are technically several modes in BM66, the game isn't deep or challenging in its current state.

#5553 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Stern mentioned some code status on their facebook page. They mention "major villain cliffhangers".
Hope they do something with the minor villains as well with the next update.

... Stern of the Union... haha
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10155797068804244

Tomorrow it's two weeks. Except of a disastrous appearance during the Pinball Expo nothing happened.

It's a pity that I can thumb up this thread up only once...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dark-night-for-stern

#5554 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Patience is a virtue. Gee thanks for that nugget of wisdom

This has been a great thread. Pay attention

This IS a great thread, didn't say it wasn't. And, you're welcome for the "nugget"....now you have 3.

#5555 6 years ago
Quoted from Bamatami:

This IS a great thread, didn't say it wasn't. And, you're welcome for the "nugget"....now you have 3.

Learn something every day

#5556 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I can only add......don't think JJP didn't (doesn't) have bugs, coding updates, etc.Being an early WOZ adopter, I can say the game was literally unplayable upon release, now a gem.
We've had a rough go lately, from incomplete code, challenging build quality, and small companies attempting to break into the business, across the board. However, I've never been more excited for this hobby, and the potential that is in front of us.
Ice's advise was (is) best - only pinball, spend time on some other machines, and breathe a bit. Hard to do sometimes (speaking from experience), but definitely the correct course.

I hear ya. I've seen you in the Alien threads as well (if your avatar didn't give it away), so I know that you and I are both patient and understanding people who have waited a long time on something we enjoy. With Batman 66 and Alien, it's definitely been a rough patch.

I just picked up my WOZ over the summer, so the code was great on it when I got it. Glad I didn't have to suffer through the period where it was unplayable - it's definitely one of my favorites, and it's also helping make the wait on these other machines a little bit easier. I really REALLY hope that Batman 66 turns that corner and gets the code it deserves. It has all the potential in the world to be such a cool machine, given the theme, call outs, video clips, etc.

#5557 6 years ago

I cant help but think that their never was a design document created before production. Clues include comments attributed to Lyman/Gomez about writing code and then deciding to abandon it because it didn't fit and the apparent difficulty of putting multiple developers on the project.

I've seen the marketing dept request development of prototype products with stubbed code.. They sell it and throw it over the fence to the software design/development team. It rarely ends well. Seems like this might be a case of deciding the market needs a BM66 (no problem) followed by a decision of 'we need to show something by Expo' (big problem). So they, in essence, prototype a product with all the accouterments (tip of the hat to Keith) of BM66. Lyman tosses together some code knowing full well it is not a cohesive product but it gets them past Expo. Now he is caught in a bind. (Boy, this brings back some painful memories.) I do worry about what happens to this game if Lyman gets hit by the proverbial bus. I've seen software companies where this has occurred (not a bus but car accident, mental breakdown, drugs....I once worked for a company when I got a call from the wife of the owner (an amazing idea guy)...he decided to drop out' got in his sailboat and was going to sail around the world. Fortunately, he only made it a couple of weeks...but what a ride)

This theme hits the mark 100% for me but I'll be spending my $ on something else until this whole thing gets sorted out.

#5558 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

there is a greater likelihood that our game will end up like Kiss or WoF

What's wrong with KISS?

Don't say "the cities don't do anything .." ... they are doing what they were designed to do (change the callouts) That's all they were supposed to do.

Don't believe the hype. KISS is a solid game and is pretty much done.

rd

#5559 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Thanks for the correction. I gladly take that back and doing so gives me a little more hope on BM66.

#5560 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What's wrong with KISS?
Don't say "the cities don't do anything .." ... they are doing what they were designed to do (change the callouts) That's all they were supposed to do.
rd

It's more solid and full-featured than Aerosmith, code-wise. So if people want to complain about KISS, Aerosmith should be ahead of it.

#5561 6 years ago

Doubt this will make anyone feel better but it Really could be worse.... I paid Full price for a BBB and waiting 3 Years to get a Game let alone the software. What about the poor TBL buyers? They paid this much and More 4 Years ago and in my view that deal looks more like a Berny Madoff game than a hope. Just saying, we are All disappointed Stern Way over shot our Expectations but it Really could be worse. Plus I have only had my game for one month so....lol JK!!

#5562 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Doubt this will make anyone feel better but it Really could be worse.... I paid Full price for a BBB and waiting 3 Years to get a Game let alone the software. What about the poor TBL buyers? They paid this much and More 4 Years ago and in my view that deal looks more like a Berny Madoff game than a hope. Just saying, we are All disappointed Stern Way over shot our Expectations but it Really could be worse. Plus I have only had my game for one month so....lol JK!!

Plus.....the game is still quite fun w .75, as long as you take it in doses....

#5563 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's more solid and full-featured than Aerosmith, code-wise. So if people want to complain about KISS, Aerosmith should be ahead of it.

Dunno about that. Both games are very similar. So similar, I sold the KISS and bought Aerosmith. I liked KISS, but the LCD puts AS over the top. Plus the toy box is f**king cool.

Quoted from Rasavage:

Thanks for the correction. I gladly take that back and doing so gives me a little more hope on BM66.

I have to pick it up, because rumours like that destroy a game. I've had a number of people here say "KISS has poor code" and I ask "have you ever played it?" ... "no, I read it on pinside" Now, I realise that everything on the internet is 100% true and gospel (lol) ... and that's the problem. Someone says "the cities don't do anything!" and now it's "a thing".

rd

#5564 6 years ago

Some fun trivia to ponder and lighten the mood regarding code.

This is every word/text that has appeared during BM66, I wonder if we will see them all in the pin, would be pretty cool to eventually have them all appear through the modes or randomly in multiballs.

IMG_6052.GIFIMG_6052.GIF

#5565 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Dunno about that. Both games are very similar. So similar, I sold the KISS and bought Aerosmith. I liked KISS, but the LCD puts AS over the top. Plus the toy box is f**king cool. rd

The toybox is awesome and the second-best thing about AS. But KISS has more multiball modes and more balanced scoring.

#5566 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Some fun trivia to ponder and lighten the mood regarding code.
This is every word/text that has appeared during BM66, I wonder if we will see them all in the pin, would be pretty cool to eventually have them all appear through the modes or randomly in multiballs.

All any of us want to hear is the "Plop" of the code drop..............lol (yes it is in there)

#5567 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

All any of us want to hear is the "Plop" of the code drop..............lol (yes it is in there)

Agreed and you never tracked me down for your drink.
Maybe next show, I will be at Freeplay FL in November.

#5568 6 years ago

Are we expecting a code update this week?

#5569 6 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Are we expecting a code update this week?

Depends on which Gomez you believe. On expo stage Gomez said this week (one week after expo). Off expo stage Gomez said next week (two weeks after expo). Your choice.

#5570 6 years ago

My batmobile turntable seems a bit sluggish, I can’t get too many revolutions (2-3 at most). Is this typical? I recall it spun more freely when I first got it, and I don’t see any obvious adjustment screws.

#5571 6 years ago
Quoted from davidSpumpkins:

My batmobile turntable seems a bit sluggish, I can’t get too many revolutions (2-3 at most). Is this typical? I recall it spun more freely when I first got it, and I don’t see any obvious adjustment screws.

Make sure wiring isn't getting caught up underneath.

#5572 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Make sure wiring isn't getting caught up underneath.

Are you talking about the entire turntable mech? Previous poster was talking about the Batmobile spinner on the turntable I think.

#5573 6 years ago

Well I heard from a very reliable source that Lyman has been working on BM66 this entire time.

This makes me feel kinda bad.
1) If true that is a lot of man hours and cost to Stern. Anytime this kind of thing happens, they start thinking price increase.

2) I feel bad as I had heard from other sources and I hate to spread gossip, but Stern let's us do this by not addressing us directly. I do apologize.

Can Stern just communicate with us and stop all this other crap. Really, it took them a bit to acknowledge SW 0.92 code on the premium is killing the motor.

It's a no win going forward, unless they start communicating. Let Lyman come out and talk about the code and the issues.

#5574 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Well I heard from a very reliable source that Lyman has been working on BM66 this entire time.

That's nice to hear and would confirm George's Expo comment, but at this point really makes little difference. Stern is either going to let him complete the game or not.

Quoted from hank527:

1) If true that is a lot of man hours and cost to Stern. Anytime this kind of thing happens, they start thinking price increase.

Yes, that's a lot of man hours, but the SLE margins alone should cover it. And that's a Stern issue. If the programming projection for Batman was way off, you don't fix it by compounding the problem on a future product.

Quoted from hank527:

2) I feel bad as I had heard from other sources and I hate to spread gossip, but Stern let's us do this by not addressing us directly. I do apologize.
Can Stern just communicate with us and stop all this other crap. Really, it took them a bit to acknowledge SW 0.92 code on the premium is killing the motor.
It's a no win going forward, unless they start communicating. Let Lyman come out and talk about the code and the issues.

Can they? Of course.
Will they? They just blew a golden opportunity at Expo to do so.
Do they understand how beneficial to the situation it would be? Doesn't seem so.

If Lyman had said publicly what he apparently said to doc and the others at Expo, I expect the mood about the code state would be very different. As it is, I expect we will be disappointed with the next code drop because it sounds like it will be still quite a way from finished.

Stern takes a camera and walks through the factory all the time. It shouldn't be that difficult or time consuming to have Lyman talk about Batman for 10 or 15 minutes and post it on Facebook. The only reason I don't do that if I'm Stern is if Lyman would be uncomfortable doing so. But everything I hear is says he wants the information to get out.

#5575 6 years ago

I think someone with a cell phone video talking to Lyman for 5 minutes about his plans for Batman66 would go a loooooong way.

#5576 6 years ago

I have zero sympathy for Stern about the financial concerns of keeping Lyman on the pin until its properly done. All of us owners have more than paid that due with the prices these went for! I have never had ill feelings toward Lyman throughout this ordeal, he's simply caught in the middle of a string of bad decisions by upper management.

I've typed so many follow up comments to other posts the past week or so. And just delete them cause it'll do no good, for me or us as a group

The update better come out this week. And it certainly should have more content than what was seen on the show floor. If they drag it out to Thursday again or *gasp* longer, there better be a damn good reason.

Expo was the drop dead date for us, and it passed with nothing new in our games.

#5577 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

FYI - Stern has not directly confirmed anything about .92 killing the the motor ... that post in Star Wars problems thread was not from Stern but rather a blast email from a re-seller to their Star Wars customers. .91 and .92 code both seem to be exploiting something in certain machines that is killing the node board that controls the motor BUT Stern has not stepped up and officially stated the cause.

#5578 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Are you talking about the entire turntable mech? Previous poster was talking about the Batmobile spinner on the turntable I think.

Ahhhhh yes, i was thinking he meant the whole mech.

#5579 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I meant the batmobile spinner. It’s like it needs some lube.

#5580 6 years ago

My TV and Node Board 24 apparently were killed by the update to .75--it might be the Spike update process itself that's the problem.

#5581 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

My TV and Node Board 24 apparently were killed by the update to .75--it might be the Spike update process itself that's the problem.

Was this recently?

#5582 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

FYI - Stern has not directly confirmed anything about .92 killing the the motor ... that post in Star Wars problems thread was not from Stern but rather a blast email from a re-seller to their Star Wars customers. .91 and .92 code both seem to be exploiting something in certain machines that is killing the node board that controls the motor BUT Stern has not stepped up and officially stated the cause.

I emailed them yesterday asking if I should play my SZLE or wait for the updated code and was advised not to play it until they sort out the problem.

#5583 6 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I emailed them yesterday asking if I should play my SZLE or wait for the updated code and was advised not to play it until they sort out the problem.

solid advice - hopefully we will see a fix soon.

#5584 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

solid advice - hopefully we will see a fix soon.

Chas said in the next couple of days.

#5585 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I had the exact same issue. Had to get a replacement node board. This happened to me when I installed 0.75 back in May. Stern told me I was the first that had that node board fail during update. The replacement node board had a different revision number on it so something was changed from the previous version. The only visual difference i noticed between the two was that the new LCD had nylon washers on the screws holding the LCD that were not on the original one.

You can still use the machine with that board not working but mini LCD will be dark. Hopefully you get a replacement quicker than I did. It took 7 weeks to get my replacement.

#5586 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It took 7 weeks to get my replacement.

Holy ridiculous delay Batman!

That's inexcusable unless that's when they designed and fabricated the new node board revision (and even that seems long).

#5587 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

That's inexcusable unless that's when they designed and fabricated the new node board revision (and even that seems long).

SW update may go back to version .89 per Pat. On BM66 the node boards can have issues.

#5588 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Reading about node board failures by just doing something,that SHOULD be as simple as a code update is getting to sound worrying - read and heard of this first hand on SW,AS and BM - something doesn't sound right.Dunno if it's build quality, bugs, poor info on doing the process "right" , or fundamental floored system, just hope they find fixes. Kinda glad I aint got a Spike sysytem at the mo TBH. But feel for anyone that does. Here's hoping all gets put right .

On a different note, I believe they still show the option of Team Scoring in Spike games?but still doesn't work, this is a bug I reported to Stern - either thru email,messaging and face to face conversations with people over the years inc Gomez and Gary at ukshows.EVERY SINGLE SAM game was the same!!
Shame as i quite liked the option, but if it aint ever gonna work remove it from the options Stern - or , maybe try fixing it?surely it cant be a mega problem to do so.I think team scoring adds to the game - love it on my RBION and LOTR - and also on.....
my old tag Team

#5589 6 years ago

From Stern Facebook... Sounds like the code might not be dropping this week... But, ya never know..!

Screenshot_20171017-193514 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171017-193514 (resized).png

#5590 6 years ago

Off course that a 1.20.0 is better, but this 0.76.1 or .2 is better than nothing or an abandoned game.....

#5591 6 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Off course that a 1.20.0 is better, but this 0.76.1 or .2 is better than nothing or an abandoned game.....

0.01.1 progress in over 5 months? Big picture, that's pretty much as close to nothing as you can get without actually being nothing. Shocking that they can put that BS out there about audits and balancing and hope people buy it.

#5592 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

0.01.1 progress in over 5 months? Big picture, that's pretty much as close to nothing as you can get without actually being nothing. Shocking that they can put that BS out there about audits and balancing and hope people buy it.

Probably you’re right vireland, and honestly I’m upset about Stern’s lack of respect, lies and their BS too...

I just prefer something vs. an abandoned game

#5593 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

As I've said before, release number levels are pretty meaningless, but other than that I have to agree.

Something really doesn't add up. But at least the post seemed to clarify that what we'll see "in the coming weeks" is essentially the same "teaser" code shown at Expo. Certainly better than nothing, but not by much.

Maybe we should start a #freeLyman campaign - let's hear the status and plans for the game directly from him.

#5594 6 years ago

I would hope the code that drops is not the same as the 0.76.1/0.76.2 since the Major villian modes for Continuing were not complete for all the villians, e.g. Joker vs Penguin. My interpretation was that the tease was the incomplete version and what drops will be more fleshed out. I guess we shall see

#5595 6 years ago

Im not sure what info they would be collecting from the audits that would be useful to finishing the remaing modes.

The part of that post I find a little weird is the line "... while also implementing player feedback that was supplied directly to the team at this years show..." what is that all about?

I didnt see anyone from Stern by the games asking opinions or having players filling out comment cards. Did anyone who played the games at the show get asked about code?

#5596 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The part of that post I find a little weird is the line "... while also implementing player feedback that was supplied directly to the team at this years show..." what is that all about?

I think it's called "making stuff up on the fly" ...

It's like they were surprised people were expecting new code at Expo.

I want to know why anyone with a USB stick could get a copy of tbe new code but those of us that have been waiting the better part of a year can't get it because scoring might be unbalanced. If Stern really wants to implement player feedback they should start with feedback from those most invested in the game.

#5597 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Im not sure what info they would be collecting from the audits that would be useful to finishing the remaing modes.
I didnt see anyone from Stern by the games asking opinions or having players filling out comment cards. Did anyone who played the games at the show get asked about code?

Only the Stern Army was interviewed! lol Didn't you get your recruitment papers? I think #JHF is just upset he wasn't enlisted in their awesome army to spread pinball joy across the planet! lol Just Kidding!!

#5598 6 years ago

waiting for code mods.

IMG_3920 (resized).JPGIMG_3920 (resized).JPG

#5600 6 years ago

the cabinet art is just the nuts on the SLE. sometimes I wish I'd ponied up for it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 373.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.