PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 373.
#6251 6 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Doc, I just saw that you had a “Revenge From Mars(1999)” I’m sure that was a nice Pin.

That game was very cool. I actually thought its was more fun than AFM. I don't have a lot of space so I play them for a while then sell them and get something else. Not too many hobbies you buy something play it a while then sell it for near what you paid (sometimes more).

I think Batman66 will be a keeper though. I still like just looking at it even when its off.

#6252 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nuts. Now I may not even want to take it out of the package ...

Lol I was going to say the same thing. Doc made the packaging as cool as the Mod! Decisions, decisions, to open or not to open... As usual, an outstanding job and attention to detail.

#6253 6 years ago

I like to repair my own pins. Batman 66 is my first Stern, and my first NIB. I'm a bit nervous about repair issues, as it seems now you have to replace entire electronics (nodes) when things fail. There isn't even any sockets for bulbs...

I love BM66 but I have a feeling it will be a bitch to fix as it ages (as will most modern Sterns). I get the value of the node architecture, though I think a good compromise would be nodes with repairable electronics...and sockets for bulbs.

Have most of you had good experiences with the Spike architecture?

#6254 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol I was going to say the same thing. Doc made the packaging as cool as the Mod! Decisions, decisions, to open or not to open... As usual, an outstanding job and attention to detail.

Thanks it was a fun mod to make. The packaging isn't a real blister pack. Its a snap fit clamshell so you can open and close it to your hearts content with no damage.

#6256 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I like to repair my own pins. Batman 66 is my first Stern, and my first NIB. I'm a bit nervous about repair issues, as it seems now you have to replace entire electronics (nodes) when things fail.

The better thread on the topic is https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike

I believe that down the road there will be people that can repair the node boards, but I'm hoping Stern addresses the long term concern.

The node board system is the Achilles heel of Batman 66 and any recent Stern game. The idea is sound, but the implementation problematic. If node boards were truely interchangeable and relatively inexpensive, it wouldn't be an issue. But that's not the case. For Batman 66 specifically most of the reports I've heard are node boards failing during the code update process. Fortunately, Stern has been replacing failed node boards for free (even those outside of warranty), but that can't last forever and at about $300 each it's not feasible to have a spare set for a game. My plan is to look at getting a set as during the last run of Premiums before the license expires (assuming they even run more) to have the latest generation node boards known to be supported by the Batman code.

My biggest concerns about Batman:

1) Will the node boards last 10+ years or be repairable/replaceable?
2) Will the playfield hold up?
3) Will Lyman be allowed to finish the code?

And 1 and 2 are WAY more of a concern than 3.

#6257 6 years ago

I like the new code, but the turntable moves jerkily and slowly now.

#6258 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Definitely sounds like something is getting caught in the mech. During my atomic pile install I needed to turn the turntable and one loose connection was hanging up the mech big time. I'd check it asap before something gets ruined.

#6259 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Definitely sounds like something is getting caught in the mech. During my atomic pile install I needed to turn the turntable and one loose connection was hanging up the mech big time. I'd check it asap before something gets ruined.

Agreed - the update hasn't slowed down my mech at all. It's still the same speed as always. Definitely look to see if a wire is getting caught. A lot of those wires are just as long as they need to be with barely any slack. If one gets caught, I could see it slowing down the mech.

#6260 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The better thread on the topic is https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike
I believe that down the road there will be people that can repair the node boards, but I'm hoping Stern addresses the long term concern.
The node board system is the Achilles heel of Batman 66 and any recent Stern game. The idea is sound, but the implementation problematic. If node boards were truely interchangeable and relatively inexpensive, it wouldn't be an issue. But that's not the case. For Batman 66 specifically most of the reports I've heard are node boards failing during the code update process. Fortunately, Stern has been replacing failed node boards for free (even those outside of warranty), but that can't last forever and at about $300 each it's not feasible to have a spare set for a game. My plan is to look at getting a set as during the last run of Premiums before the license expires (assuming they even run more) to have the latest generation node boards known to be supported by the Batman code.
My biggest concerns about Batman:
1) Will the node boards last 10+ years or be repairable/replaceable?
2) Will the playfield hold up?
3) Will Lyman be allowed to finish the code?
And 1 and 2 are WAY more of a concern than 3.

I'm a network engineer (originally) so I see the thought process here. I couldn't leave well enough alone so I spent a bunch of time taking apart my system, examining the node bus elements themselves, what sort of system components they use, etc. Plugged in an analyzer, watched and decoded the traffic, how power was distributed (9v x2), etc. I definitely see a future possibility of a cheap, "standard" board that will replace all these node boards in the future. That's doable... so in 10 years, the replacement part for node boards might be a few standard, inexpensive BOMs with some different serial control outputs. The custom shaped boards for lighting, different story, but those seem more repairable to me anyway.

I was just curious how people generally felt...I see those threads echo my anxiety. I suck at anything surface mount and that's not going to change.

Meanwhile, I love BM66... Can't wait for Thanksgiving!

#6261 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

You can adjust turntable speed, but it shouldn't be jerky. Sounds like you have an intermittent connection.

#6262 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can adjust turntable speed, but it shouldn't be jerky. Sounds like you have an intermittent connection.

The smaller the number the faster it goes right?

#6263 6 years ago

trying to help a mate of mine, can anyone clone the image of the SD card on a premium and make it available for me to download?

Whilst upgrading to the latest code something bad happened and he can't get his machine to boot.

Cheers,
Neil.

#6264 6 years ago

Yep. I've got mine down to 100 and it definitely moves faster. Not sure why it ships with a longer delay and why you would even want a longer delay.

#6265 6 years ago

Yes

#6266 6 years ago

Version .81 up on the site ! Bug fix patch it looks like

#6267 6 years ago

V0.81.0 - Nov. 7, 2017
======================

- Added instructions for the major villain modes.
- Reworked Bat Turn mode instructions.
- Rebalanced sounds, speech, and some music.
- Added penguin VUK shot to the list of shots lit when the crane is hit
during the penguin mode.
- Added double quote character to the Batman style font; it was missing.
- Added sounds for hitting the flipper button during collect/continue.
- Added score stinger sounds for major villain score awards.
- Fixed issues where the joker last stage and the penguin last stage
collect/continue was not holding up the penguin VUK kickout.
- Fixed an issue with the super skill shot where the mode RGB arrows
would not show when the ball was sitting in the shooter lane.
- Bat turn and multiball start will now move in front of most effects
in progress.
- Main multiball was not honoring the "Multiball Scores nX" for completing
the GORDON target before the first shot is made during the major villain
modes. This has been corrected.
- Major villain mode start effects are killed on the first shot/award.
- Reversed the order of the batphone hurry-up and the major villain mode
start display effects so they appear in the correct order (batphone
FIRST, mode start SECOND).
- Reworked major villain modes to give the batcave sequence priority over
the main shots.
- Forced batphone hurry-up awards over all other foreground display
effects.
- Made sure orange batcave sequence arrows show on top of major villain
mode arrows (riddler was not honoring this).
- Terminated magnet hold cycle when batphone hurry-up award display
effect is finished.
- Added magnet pulse to penguin magnet stage during the penguin mode.
- Fixed a bug with the magnet where certain sequences would be terminated
prematurely.
- Added clips/stills for joker and penguin modes.
- Removed dim non-selected icon/text from collect/continue when an action
is taken.
- Fixed issues with multiple awards coming through on one shot for the
GADGET targets and the TURNABLE targets.
- Added fight sounds to the fight sequences for the major villain modes.
- Added a setting to help clean up the interaction of the VILLAIN ESCAPE
wizard mode with the major villains. The default is that when VILLAIN
ESCAPE is able to start, the player will not be able to start a new
batphone hurry-up (major villain). The other behavior (not the default)
is that when VILLAIN ESCAPE is able to start, the player will be able
to start a new major villain mode, and if they do, then VILLAIN ESCAPE
will not be able to be started until the batphone hurry-up / new major
villain mode ends.
- Removed the batphone hurry-up award from the top eject. This is not
needed anymore now that the lockout adjustment has been implemented.

#6268 6 years ago

Geez that was quick

#6269 6 years ago

where is the GRAPH!!!

start the machine!!!

univac_wide-190d553fd0b628d79ccfe0e11d0f29e6bfb5e4f5-s900-c85 (resized).jpgunivac_wide-190d553fd0b628d79ccfe0e11d0f29e6bfb5e4f5-s900-c85 (resized).jpg

#6270 6 years ago

I'm hoping the .81 release is what Lyman wanted to release a couple weeks ago and that there is still going to be a Thanksgiving release.

Or maybe this is the Thanksgiving release and Stern delivered "early" ...

#6271 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I'm hoping the .81 release is what Lyman wanted to release a couple weeks ago and that there is still going to be a Thanksgiving release.

Per the Stern of the Union Address for November, looks like one still coming for Thanksgiving, but pushed the Christmas update out to New Years?:

"Batman ’66 – The dedicated programming team also has outlined a plan for code updates with releases scheduled around Thanksgiving and an additional update around the New Year. Be on the lookout for a teaser pic soon showing some things in the works involving the minor villain mode implementation; some very unique and innovative rules!"

#6272 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeWellSpent:

Per the Stern of the Union Address for November, looks like one still coming for Thanksgiving, but pushed the Christmas update out to New Years?:

I hadnt seen the new SOTU - thanks!

(I hate Facebook - can never find anything)

#6273 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’d say that is a very accurate guess, I think we got the code earlier than planned just to get some code out to us, as Lyman was working on the bugs before we even got 0.80.

#6274 6 years ago

New code downloading now! .81

#6275 6 years ago

My Wholesaler told me he just got an email from Stern that .81.1 was released. Maybe up soon.

#6276 6 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

My Wholesaler told me he just got an email from Stern that .81.1 was released. Maybe up soon.

Are you sure about the last digit? The Commissioner Gordon email says v 0.81.0

#6277 6 years ago

I don't know the 1 and 0 are pretty far from each other on the keyboard. That would be a pretty bad typo.

#6278 6 years ago

Holy confusing Batman!!!

#6279 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’d say that is a very accurate guess, I think we got the code earlier than planned just to get some code out to us, as Lyman was working on the bugs before we even got 0.80.

Agreed, but also added features, not just a bug fix....thank you Stern!!!!

#6280 6 years ago

That's a decent update, and quick. Hopefully whatever logjam was holding things up has broken and the rough timeline of BM66 being completed by Christmas will hold.

#6282 6 years ago

As per the Stern of Union:

Batman ’66 – The dedicated programming team has outlined a plan for code.....

Be on the lookout for a teaser pic soon showing some things in the works involving the minor villain mode implementation; some very unique and innovative rules!

Really excited to see what Lyman has in store for us with the minor villains, unique and innovative rules, I like the sound of that!

#6283 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

As per the Stern of Union

Where do i find the Stern of Union posts?

#6285 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

trying to help a mate of mine, can anyone clone the image of the SD card on a premium and make it available for me to download?
Whilst upgrading to the latest code something bad happened and he can't get his machine to boot.
Cheers,
Neil.

Sent you a pm Neil.

#6286 6 years ago

I thought I was crazy about the MB multiplier. Glad to see it fixed.

#6287 6 years ago

New code drop already and all these great mods from Yelobird! Exciting time for us BM66 owners!

#6288 6 years ago

Emphasis on........"very unique and innovative"!

"Be on the lookout for a teaser pic soon showing some things in the works involving the minor villain mode implementation; some very unique and innovative rules!"

#6289 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Emphasis on........"very unique and innovative"!
"Be on the lookout for a teaser pic soon showing some things in the works involving the minor villain mode implementation; some very unique and innovative rules!"

I read one of the Sharp brothers bought themselves a Batman66 recently. That should be a definite sign of even cooler stuff is coming codewise. Cant wait to see the teaser pic.

#6290 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I read one of the Sharp brothers bought themselves a Batman66 recently. That should be a definite sign of even cooler stuff is coming codewise. Cant wait to see the teaser pic.

Pardon my stupidity, but one of the sharp brothers is now doing Sterns Facebook/social media is the other involved in coding? Or game development?

#6291 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Pardon my stupidity, but one of the sharp brothers is now doing Sterns Facebook/social media is the other involved in coding? Or game development?

I mix Zach and Josh, but one is Stern Marketing and I think the other works at Raw Thrills which does video games.

#6292 6 years ago

I can't update my game until tomorrow - any early reviews/comments on .81?

#6293 6 years ago

I just played a few games. I saw new Joker clips and I think a jazzed up clip of the bat belt close-up. Didn't notice any sound inconsistencies, hopefully they are now fixed.

#6294 6 years ago

Still has problems not lighting the yellow arrows at ball launch for the super skill shot sometimes.

#6295 6 years ago

I’m thinking of letting my SLE go
Are the updates enough to make me want to keep it?

#6296 6 years ago
Quoted from Rapzilch:

.80 was a big step. There are two more decent size releases in the next two months. Why not re-evaluate after you have a chance to play those?

#6297 6 years ago
Quoted from Rapzilch:

Certainly are steps in the right direction, but way too early to tell what the long-term prognosis is. Load 0.81 up and see for yourself. It only takes about 10-15 minutes, and it's WAY better than whatever you have on it now.

#6298 6 years ago

Only 1 gain issue remains..the very soft " to the batpoles" after triggering one of the villians ( catwoman, I believe). The rest seem to be balanced now.

Occasional yellow arrow issue still seen.

Many more fight sequences, Riddler getting up to par w the rest, and even noticed some multiball variants. Penguin has yet more interaction...callouts and directions are much more prevalent as well. Much better gameplay now, imho...

The game has become quite fun ( and challenging) for me now. Actual purpose and reward to many of the shots.

If code was having you consider selling it, I concur w vireland...put in .81 and spend time on it.

#6299 6 years ago

Can anyone confirm if they got rid of the odd Utility belt close up showing the pills? Also, are the flashers lit when you make a crane shot back? Not sure why they'd get rid of that.

#6300 6 years ago

Crane hits needs to loose that BDK sound effect and be replaced with Penguins quack, when I hit the crane I want to know I’ve hit him and hear his reaction, it was always great in the show when he would get annoyed with batman and go into a quacking frenzy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
19,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mead, WA
There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 373.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/126 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.