Topic Stats

• 14,614 posts
  • 547 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Budman
  • Topic is favorited by 213 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,163 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG-20191013-WA0034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_184145 (resized).jpg
BA97A0F8-107D-4077-B3DF-98CD6827EF76 (resized).jpeg
CB6F95C0-4BAF-4A09-BD55-A26D728BB77A (resized).jpeg
37C12AEF-440E-4127-B25A-9220071DEBBA (resized).jpeg
30339673-5806-4FEA-AA6A-BAFBC579FE9D (resized).jpeg
20191006_153609922_iOS (resized).jpg
20175E4A-6449-45AB-8077-2DFC194618A5 (resized).jpeg
6D8EF379-11FC-4DB8-A72C-DF6691EA4F2E (resized).jpeg
3E4CA27E-CE4F-4BF0-A25B-33C12E89C4E8 (resized).jpeg
AE5EB170-C0A3-482E-AD5A-6A2465812D12 (resized).jpeg
FF00B1F8-789F-4ACE-B754-1B32C991BF35 (resized).jpeg
3AC42BAD-DC26-48C4-8A2D-781E06576AD5 (resized).jpeg
C3A04D9E-3B23-4F8F-A5A1-6CF3054795E9 (resized).jpeg
44CB95D6-EAC9-44FB-80EE-BCE17F893BF4 (resized).jpeg
020B3070-E15C-4851-902D-9C5870B937DB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

47 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (2 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (2 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (2 years ago)

Post #1649 How to level the turntable mech on Batman 66. Posted by rlslick (2 years ago)

Post #1658 Version 0.69 code released Posted by PinB (2 years ago)

Post #1914 How to Diagnose "Stuck Joker" targets. Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Post #2008 Version 0.70 Code released Posted by frolic (2 years ago)

Post #2353 Version 0.71 Code released Posted by frolic (2 years ago)

Post #2556 Version 0.75 Code released Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Post #2755 Game Adjustment #139 for Enabling Attract Mode Music Posted by thundergod76 (2 years ago)

Post #2873 Link to announcement of Batman'66 Accessories. Posted by Rasavage (2 years ago)

Post #2926 BatSignal Beacon information. Posted by MK6PIN (2 years ago)

Post #3369 docquest's full helicopter guide. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider legionsoup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4385 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

All can and will be forgiven when the big update drops, and they've assured us it will.

Where do they talk about a big update dropping?

#4387 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There have been emails/communications from Stern to distributors as well as several of us being told by Stern themselves Lyman is working on it and it's coming soon.
None of which is particularly reliable based on Sterns past behaviour of lying to their customers however the biggest assurance is the fact it is Lyman working on the code, he always finishes his games and has spoke out publically about code more than once followed by a surprise/final update.

Gotcha. I really like this machine, and I enjoyed the last update, but I haven't played this game in a while in anticipation of the next update, hoping it would add a lot of "character" to the game (call outs, videos, etc). If it does that and adds most of the missing modes, it'll definitely be a game getting solid play time.

#4392 2 years ago

The next update sounds like it's going to be worth the wait. Thanks for posting!

#4495 2 years ago

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is this after-market ramp that's being worked on to replace the current ramp that has the clear plastic to keep the ball on the rails?

Let's say I'm interested. How difficult would it be to install if I've done very little/no real work on a pinball machine? (I've changed some fuses, changed out DMD for a color DMD, and added some really easy mods).

#4548 2 years ago

Interested (thanks for all of the replies - definitely helped!)

#4586 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

It's awefully quiet here in our beloved thread, following the passing of yet another disappointing Thursday.
I've reached a point where I'm actually exhausted from capturing Catwoman, Joker, Riddler, and Penguin so much. I can't do it anymore, or I'll scream! My last game I just concentrated on Bat Turn, complaining like Muttley under my breath.

I don't play my Batman 66 anymore. I enjoyed my time with the last code update, but I don't want to get sick of the machine before it's fully realized.

Why does Thursday mark the end of the week for the code to drop?

#4638 2 years ago
Quoted from Pfunk237:

Batgirl bust fits perfectly. Extreme double-sided tape. The riddler is next.

Where did you get that from?

#4669 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed....they've left some pretty aggressive ones on their main page, regarding a variety of issues. I may be naive, but always have gotten best results w problems with direct communication to the manufacturer ( leaving out the drama), voicing my concerns/ problems.

I left a message on Stern's facebook a few weeks back (someone even posted their reply here) and it was a non-reply. It was as vague as possible. Sometimes, even a little communication can go a long way. For example, what features are planned for the next code update. A window of time for when they are trying to get it done. Anything. But when you get "we're working hard and it's awesome" that tells you as much as you knew before they replied.

#4672 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed, but pitchforks here I believe even have less effect. We all know the challenges here...

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Attacking them is the wrong way to go about it. I never attacked them, and I didn't even make the implication that it was the way to go, so we're on the same page there. I just think that ANY information they could give to customers who have paid close to $10k or more is deserved for something like this. It's not like incomplete code nearly a year after release is an industry standard for pinball (is it? I honestly don't know - if so, I take it all back).

Also..."we all know the challenges here"? Are you sure you don't work for Stern?

#4759 2 years ago

Every so often, I sit down at my computer and refresh the Stern game code website. I think I'm going to literally fall out of my chair when the Batman update drops.

It's honestly going to feel like I ordered a new pinball machine and got the message that it's going to be delivered on that day.

#4791 2 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

So I'm moving games around to make room for ACDC vault and just notice the bottom of BM66 is nice!
Do the premium and LE cabs look like this?
Just figured it could be something else to discuss while we wait for code......

SLE here - mine looks exactly the same.

#4801 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How many days are we up to since the last code drop?

May 25th.

So - 4 months (120ish days).

#4807 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

You rang?

Good news is there's a drop coming for Batman'66, and some other pins are getting code updates pretty soon as well, likely within the next week. So this ridiculous Batman '66 slog is maybe (?) coming to an end. I hope so. I have no idea what the Stern management internal situation is, but Gomez's name is mud where production promises are concerned after this. You can't believe a word he says anymore.

The best part (in terms of the comedy) with this chart is that, going as high as 120-140 days is completely unnecessary until this last update. I really hope you don't have to extend that graph past the 140-days mark.

#4907 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

It does sound like a cool feature, I'm just hoping that they don't think that will atone for almost 5 months of nothing on a game that isn't even to beta-level code.

Agreed. I was REALLY happy when I saw the update, but that turned to concern when I read what was updated. You'd think they'd be proud of any and all new features that the code will introduce and want their customers to know about it.

#4984 2 years ago

So which game reaches code build 1.0 (or higher) first?

Batman 66 or Star Wars?

#4986 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Providing what has been said is true and actually comes to fruition BM66 release should be v1.00 or higher when it drops next week.

Fingers crossed!

#5055 2 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

My fear is the code will be an Expo exclusive to test the code a little more before release. Hopefully, this is not the case and we will all receive it at the same time.

I'm gonna say we are darn near guaranteed to get the code this week since Stern updated their facebook page not too long ago saying Star Wars and Batman 66 code updates were about to drop, and Star Wars dropped last week.

#5100 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

That's words, then action. That's what got them into this mess.
We need action, then words.
If it isn't released tomorrow, it should be a simultaneous release at Expo. If not, I hope Batman owners will grill Gary at 6pm Thursday.

Thing is, if the code basically makes the game new and they want to unveil that at the expo, they AREN'T releasing the code to us first. That wouldn't make sense, as any of us could make a youtube video and ruin their big unveiling. They will almost definitely talk about/show off the code at the show before it's released to the owners.

#5140 2 years ago

Toy mod and graphs. The two things keeping us afloat until the code drop.

#5144 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don't forget about the new left ramp ...

Very true. I think all of us put down "interested" on that one.

#5252 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Gomez said drop would be "in a few days" version will be 0.8 something.

Wow - from version .75 to .8-something in, what? 150 days? Where's the graph showing how long it'll take to get to 1.0 given 150 days for a 0.05 update?

#5288 2 years ago

I don't understand how he is saying they do ideas and if they don't like them they scrap them. That's not how programming works. You create a design doc with a complete concept, and then program to that.

#5474 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

With both BM66 and SW, there is a lot of video and audio to work with, and I am told the number of lines of code to run pins like SW and BM66 is over 10 times the number of lines that exist in the older DMD games.

If this is really the case, how come Star Wars, which just came out, is already in the .92 code. It has lots of call outs and video clips. Shouldn't Star Wars be facing the same issues as Batman 66, and really be stalling when it comes to new code?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I feel like there's a disconnect since Batman has been out so much longer and is still significantly behind Star Wars when it comes to the code.

#5550 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

This weekend was a double whammy for me. I've backed and passionately defended Stern for years and easily spent $50K on their NIB games in the past 5 years, but this weekend brought a long overdue epiphany to me that I've been backing the wrong company. Worse is my realization that there just isn't enough progress or time for my grail theme BM66 to ever be completed like I hoped it would. I'm sure Lyman can make it better with probably one more intermediate-term update after whatever is in the hopper for next week, but reality dictates that he very soon must jump on Elvira(?) full time, and then I suspect that we'll go over a year before they "make another pass" on BM66 as they look back at it from their rear view mirror. After all, the assembly line must keep rolling and future big sellers like GotG, Iron Maiden, Beatles, Munsters, or whatever will rule the day.

I couldn't have said it better. Right now, I own 2 pinball machines that I can't/don't play. Batman 66, because I played the heck out of it so far, all the way up to 0.75 code, and don't want to ruin the magic of the theme by overplaying the same couple things over and over. And Star Wars because the latest code update literally breaks the machine (which I installed almost immediately on its release). So I can't play it until they release an update to fix it. As a Stern fan, it was a very souring weekend.

It might not have been so bad if JJP didn't show off their newest game. But seeing a company release a new game that they are going to stand behind and support with loads of options, modes, etc kind of made it even more aggravating, and I even started doing the math in my head ("if I sold my Batman SLE and lost $3000 on it, I could still afford the Pirates game and have some money left over...").

Eventually I decided not to make a move and wait it out, but like the previous person said, we're running out of time where Lyman is working exclusively on the Batman 66 machine before he has to move on.

#5556 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I can only add......don't think JJP didn't (doesn't) have bugs, coding updates, etc.Being an early WOZ adopter, I can say the game was literally unplayable upon release, now a gem.
We've had a rough go lately, from incomplete code, challenging build quality, and small companies attempting to break into the business, across the board. However, I've never been more excited for this hobby, and the potential that is in front of us.
Ice's advise was (is) best - only pinball, spend time on some other machines, and breathe a bit. Hard to do sometimes (speaking from experience), but definitely the correct course.

I hear ya. I've seen you in the Alien threads as well (if your avatar didn't give it away), so I know that you and I are both patient and understanding people who have waited a long time on something we enjoy. With Batman 66 and Alien, it's definitely been a rough patch.

I just picked up my WOZ over the summer, so the code was great on it when I got it. Glad I didn't have to suffer through the period where it was unplayable - it's definitely one of my favorites, and it's also helping make the wait on these other machines a little bit easier. I really REALLY hope that Batman 66 turns that corner and gets the code it deserves. It has all the potential in the world to be such a cool machine, given the theme, call outs, video clips, etc.

#5607 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

If it was always just the initial 30 SLEs, i think they'd keep their value no matter what the state of the software. But then it got bumped to 80, and add 240 LEs. We found the limits of the rich guy market.

I thought the SLEs had 50. Each one is numbered by year, from 1966 to 2016. I just looked at my certificate that came with the game and it also states there are 50.

Did they make more? I'm honestly just curious.

Bat1 (resized).png

Bat2 (resized).png

#5681 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Having seen the posts in the SW thread about the pulled update of v092 on premium games, i doubt we will see anything ourselves until this problem is resolved and the SW updates are re-released. All these games share the same lower control layer code, or framework i would think.

The new Star Wars code just dropped (0.93), so hopefully that means Batman 66 isn't far behind, now.

#5686 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

SW maybe getting a lot of code drops but the one thing I keep noting is a lot of it is tweaking and optimisation.
The only real adding of content has been to the LCDs - video mode, light saber duel, loads of extras focused on the mini LCD, once code on BM66 is level with SW, it's going to blow SW away, BM66 will be able to have all the mini LCD stuff SW has plus the physical stuff like the crane, 3 sides of the turntable and the villian content on the screen.
I'll take the turntable and crane over the mini LCD 3 bank any day! Which I think is another reason why SW is progressing faster than BM66, SW is all LCD LCD LCD, BM66 has a lot more physical real estate in my opinion and far more physical coding opportunities plus it can have all the mini LCD stuff SW has plus all the villian vision specific features like villian taunts etc.
I really do hope Lyman knocks this one out the park it will certainly be his crowning jewel in just how damn good he is at taking layouts and turning them into the best stern have to offer.

Why do we have to compare games? They are both going to be awesome finished products, and they play dramatically different.

The one think I hope you're right about is - I hope Batman 66 IS better than Star Wars. Because Star Wars is freaken amazing. If it's better than Star Wars, it's going to be ridiculous. And at this point, we DESERVE ridiculous!

#5723 1 year ago

Very cool. I'm gonna be honest. I didn't even know the factory version was the Atomic Pile (didn't even know it was called that until this message board, actually). Your version makes it clear. Count me in, too!

#5781 1 year ago

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I've seen a couple people on here mention that they have a playfield protector. How does this work, exactly? Is it a thin, clear piece of plastic cut for the specific machine? Is it adhesive, and it needs to be applied perfectly?

I was thinking about getting one, but I wanted to know a bit more about how it's applied and what exactly it is (adhesive, plastic, etc).

#5821 1 year ago

I'm new-ish to pinball, and the NIB machines I've purchased were code-complete (MMR, WOZ), so I honestly didn't realize that you could buy a new pinball machine and it required constant updates to continue adding features. As someone who loved pinball growing up, I didn't realize the huge amount of coding it took to get a machine working, either. I always thought it had to be pretty simple. So on that end, I take the blame. I could have done more research before buying a NIB machine that was just released.

The issue I have is the communication. 2 months ago Stern started a "Stern of the Union" that I've only seen the 1 time. It was supposed to be a monthly thing, but no Stern of the Union was released this month even though it was expected (and possibly promised?).

It's a problem when we can sit here and speculate on our own what features might be added and how they might work. We shouldn't have to do that. Good communication would clear all of that up.

If Stern (and possible other pinball companies - not just picking on Stern here) just said "this is what we are working on now for this machine" and then gave a list of features, what to expect, and a window of when to expect it, that would be great. Even if they missed the window, just come back and say "we ran into unforeseen issues with bugs etc" I think people would be a lot more understanding. As it is, we're just...waiting.

#5869 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

An OCD question. How many times per week do you guys check the Stern website for the long awaited code update? 2-3-......30? Or do you just wait for the Batman 66 thread to light up? I do hope today is the day. I could use a breather to enjoy some (little) new Batman entertainment and challenges.

I probably check it 30 times....a day. I work from home so I always have that window open and I'm constantly hitting refresh. Work for 30 minutes. Refresh. Go to the bathroom. Refresh. Make phone call. Refresh. Eat lunch. Refresh like 10 times. Etc.

#5875 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
At the first part of the year, I checked every few weeks. These days I'm mostly watching for mod news from Yelobird and ramp news from mk6pin ... if code does drop the thread will blow up and vireland will put out an Amber alert.

You have to have SOME level of insanity to still willingly be in this position.

#5908 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10155897770794244?comment_id=10155898430769244&notif_id=1509076105998240&notif_t=feed_comment
A couple comments on it already...not from Stern....
I approached in a very non aggressive manner, but straight to the point.

I added my 2 cents to your comment as well. Hopefully we can get some kind of info on it.

#5916 1 year ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Would love to add my two cents to the great FB post. But I was banned over a year ago after making this comment..."Incomplete code aside, KISS is a great game."

Wow - that's crap. You paid them thousands of dollars, gave an opinion on your purchase (and one that I view as mostly positive), and they banned you.

#5939 1 year ago

Credit where credit is due. On facebook, they talked about the biggest features of this release. They also said they are planning for another release around Thanksgiving, and then another at Christmas.

That's all I think we wanted. Not to be kept in the dark. (and some awesome code lol)

#5950 1 year ago

For anyone wondering, this update adds a TON in terms of personality. It felt like there was a lot more video. More callouts. It felt like what I expected it to be. I'm not saying there isn't a lot to do to finish it, but this update is the first real taste at when I think the finished product will feel like.

I picked up Star Wars when it first came out, and it felt very robust in terms of where the code was at on release. Almost like a complete game. That's where I'd say Batman 66 is, now.

#6111 1 year ago

Just being cautious after what happened with Star Wars (circuit board for the fork ramp was being fried by a code update, so Stern made it so you couldn't download the Star Wars code until they rolled it back to an older version of the code, and eventually fixed it), but there are no known issues that are similar for Batman 66, are there?

#6155 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Looks awesome. Cant wait to get mine. How long did it take to install?

It doesn't take long, but I had to break my comfort zone. You have to lift the entire playfield to install it. The only tricky part is feeding a wire through a small hole that doesn't have a lot of hand-space for maneuvering. All in all, it probably took me about 40 minutes because I went slowly and carefully.

My light didn't initially work, either. But I figured out the issue (in one of the connections, the wire had been pushed out so the male/female metal connectors weren't making contact), and another 30 minutes of testing and troubleshooting later, it was working. It looks amazing.

#6191 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Gotta say how lucky we are Yelobird owns a B66. The other modders gave up when they realized there wouldn't be many b66 made. Not yelo.
He's not going to stop until he gets us there.....a new mod every two weeks.

I know we ask a lot of the graph people, but would it be possible to have a graph that shows how far apart the code drops are compared to how often the Mod Couple come up with a new mod?

#6259 1 year ago

Definitely sounds like something is getting caught in the mech. During my atomic pile install I needed to turn the turntable and one loose connection was hanging up the mech big time. I'd check it asap before something gets ruined.

Agreed - the update hasn't slowed down my mech at all. It's still the same speed as always. Definitely look to see if a wire is getting caught. A lot of those wires are just as long as they need to be with barely any slack. If one gets caught, I could see it slowing down the mech.

#6332 1 year ago

I'm confused. I'm referring to Batgirl riding across the screen during the show intro that plays during attract mode. After the new update 0.81.0 she no longer appears.

I think he's saying that because of the new code, everything in the game was reset. Similar to how the volume is reset to the default volume, and "free play" is reset so you have to pay (the 2 things I always change after each update).

Batgirl is reset until you complete the in-game specifics that make her show up on the TV screen. I never looked for it myself, so I'm not sure what you need to do, but apparently, if you did the right things in the 0.80 software, there would be a clip of Batgirl (please correct me if I'm wrong), and if this clip was successfully reached, she would also appear in the attract mode.

But because the game was reset with 0.81, you will need to redo the requirements to get her to appear in attract mode again.

2 weeks later
#6917 1 year ago

Been away for the weekend. Just got home, and about to install the new code. How is it? Anything I should know about before diving in?

3 weeks later
#7485 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

The entire turntable needs to be modded. Atomic Pile mod, new phone, better Batmobile, better spinner. What a difference!
Here's what Stern gave us.

Look at the difference with the stock spinner (with the flat black Batmobile with the trademark symbol on the door) and The Mod Couple spinner kit using a much better Batmobile).

And multiple options for replacing the phone

Oh wow. I picked up the atomic pile, but the batmobile and the phone/bust look really great on the turntable. Great pictures. May have to invest in that.

Is the phone/bust from the Mod Couple?

1 month later
#8546 1 year ago

So I downloaded the new code (0.87) and finally had time to update my machine today. Everything looked good. Downloaded fine. Opened file. Put it on a usb. Same as always.

But when I put the USB in the machine to update, once you hit the "Select" button once, and then a 2nd time to begin the update, it just hangs without starting the update.

I've never missed an update, and I have never had an issue with the update. Tried 2 different USB sticks with the same result (both of them have worked with Batman 66 in the past). Anyone else with the same issue? Any ideas?

Note: after a while, I turned the machine off, removed the usb, and turned it back on, and it plays the 0.86 code.

2 months later
#9617 1 year ago

When I start a game and have the 4 major villains, I've noticed that my Joker isn't completely responsive when I hit it. Sometimes it counts as a hit, but there are times when I hit it directly in the middle with a forceful ball and it doesn't register the hit. Any ideas on what that might be and what I could do to fix it? Thanks ahead of time!

#9630 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Is it only at the start of a game or at any point during the game? If the latter, it's possible the Joker targets have gotten bent/stuck. Some have put a piece of foam behind them or just bent the target(s) forward.

I believe it's at any point. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the fast feedback, guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider legionsoup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside