PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (7 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (7 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

985 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jfh. You are on page 1 of 4.
#254 7 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Not mine, but set this up for a customer and helped him play a few games to break it in

I'm in! Bought an LE today. Should be here next week. Can't wait!

It's going to be set up next to the TAF you restored for me ...

#257 7 years ago

(And yes, I feel a bit guilty for finding/buying an LE in a day when they have been sold out for months. But my gameroom has been ready for this for years ...)

IMG_9006 (resized).JPGIMG_9006 (resized).JPG

IMG_9004 (resized).JPGIMG_9004 (resized).JPG

IMG_6770 (resized).JPGIMG_6770 (resized).JPG

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

( ( (( BAM )) ) ) ( ( (( POW )) ) )

Don't ZAP yourself setting it up ...

#310 7 years ago

I seem to remember someone that custom laser cut PET for pins. Anyone have a link? May be a good thing to put on BM66 day one.

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Anyone else have this MESS with their plaque? Pulled the protective plastic cover off and it left behind a gooey mess that only Goo Gone would remove. Cleaned it up then re-installed with a PET-G cover to protect it from scratches ...

That horrible QC on any game, let alone a $15k one ...

#421 7 years ago

Chris Franchi will be having a print sale starting next Friday and will have a print specific to the pinball game and some other BM66 art.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Metaluna-5-Media-169657579716029/posts/

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hoping to become an official member of this club this week. I even shoveled a path to the basement in preparation.

Hey - you paid for the game already. That's about as official as it gets. You're in!

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

Not sure how many guys will like this mod or not, but I replaced the Batmobile and bat boat on my BM66SLE with the Corgi Batmobile I've had since I was 9 yrs old.
It's a little larger scale than the HotWheels one, it's nicked up from being played with, and I'll have to reposition the bat boat to the left ramp protector, but it has a lot of meaning to me.

Cool. I used to have the same one, but my Mom through it out long ago.

Hopefully someone will make a mod so Premium / LE users can do something similar.

#447 7 years ago

Batgaget #58 Bat mini-charge is in the house. Game (and Topper) delivered today. Code level .6

Batgirl on the sides (!)

IMG_0980 (resized).JPGIMG_0980 (resized).JPG
IMG_0981 (resized).JPGIMG_0981 (resized).JPG
IMG_1001 (resized).JPGIMG_1001 (resized).JPG
IMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1037 (resized).JPG

IMG_0963 (resized).JPGIMG_0963 (resized).JPG
IMG_0965 (resized).JPGIMG_0965 (resized).JPG
IMG_0974 (resized).JPGIMG_0974 (resized).JPG

IMG_0997 (resized).JPGIMG_0997 (resized).JPG

#449 7 years ago

Ok, what are you guys choosing for the keychain? Logo or Emblem?

(Also in the Goodie bag - extra target stickers, pricing cards, Game Instruction card in Spanish)

IMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPG

#450 7 years ago

What is a power up?

IMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPG

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Awesome, AND a topper!!!....congrats!!!

A topper with the emblem applied correctly even ...

#459 7 years ago

I wonder if the Eaglemoss ones will be too big to put in the playfield.

#461 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody get the new update was supposed to be posted today?

No. Discussion of new code in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it/

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Rattled shots on left orbit will be the norm for any shot that is not "near perfect". Next time you have the glass off, hold a ball up there next to the ramp...it's barely enough room for a ball to pass! Really tight so it requires good accuracy.

My left orbit shot gets blocked by the wire to the cat sign on the left ramp if the shot isn't perfect. Going to have to see if I can tie the cable to something.

IMG_1072 (resized).JPGIMG_1072 (resized).JPG

#484 7 years ago

Any thoughts on how best to protect the magnet from getting dimpled to death? Do people making protectors cover the magnet too?

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

whats another day.

Your most agonizing 24 hours in 2017?

I would drive your car to your wife's work, leave it and take the van and go get the game. But that's just me. You've been ready for your grail game for how long?

Congrats on getting your game whether it's this afternoon or tomorrow.

#496 7 years ago

Anyone know how to tell if Churchill made the playfields for a given Batman game?

Been reading about the problems people have had with ghosting on playfields made by another vendor and would like some piece of mind.

#502 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

My LE topper arrived today. It's an easy install, but there's an astonishing number of wires to connect; seems like the topper harness could bring in signals from a large chunk of the pinball machine. I can't believe it takes all of those wires to run the few lights and SLE bat projector, so I'm hoping that there's a lot more interaction coming in the future than merely some attract lighting.

It is pretty amazing there are two boards and that many connections required for the topper. It is very cool, but I hope it's used for something cool during game play.

#503 7 years ago

Started a new thread for code discussion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-code-discussion-v065

Note that Stern also uploaded corrected versions of the flyers showing the proper artwork.

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

And I hope the topper is made available for the Premium.

There is a part number for the boards in the manual, a part number for the topper and a common code base. I presume if your distributor can order those parts you could add the topper.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I hope the topper interacts a lot with the game as this will be my first ever topper.

I hope it will eventually do more, but even with what it does now it's the best topper I've seen.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I am guessing the premium is missing the boards found in the LE and SLE?

I have not looked inside one, just guessing the boards are not in a Premium based on some comments George made at Expo.

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

i havent seen pics of any "sub-villains" on the LED screen on my LE.....
Is that a difference in coding between SLE and LE???

Difference in coding yes, but same code. The software is aware of the game model, but the basic game play is identical between models.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I really wanted a gadget version and I was happy to see I got one. I was even happier to see what one it was. I peeked in the box and couldnt believe my luck, its the freaking Batmobile!

Holy Jackpot !!

Edit: OK, Holy Fake Inflated Jackpot ... I should have know better - the real Batmobile is Gadget #1

#554 7 years ago
#561 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How do you order/buy a print on that site? Hiding it!

Open the gallery. Instructions are under each print on how to send a PayPal payment to the artist. Editions are limited to 66, so if you want one, order soon. Sales are cut off on the 20th or when sold out.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I took a metal coat hanger and cut off a few inches of it to make a copter support. Twisted a little loop on the end and captured it with the same nut the SLE uses to mount its copter.
In addition to looking nice, the eaglemoss vehicles alread have tapped screw holes and the screws from where they mount to their display box. Make another loop on the other side of the wire and secure it via a screw under the copter. Tweak the shape of the wire until it looks good.

Looks nice. I'd like to do something similar. Have an eaglemoss Batmobile, Batboat, Batcopter, Batcycle, Batgirl cycle coming. Will have to see what fits where, but I like the copter where you have it.

Were your pictures taken with the glass off?

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Wow! I paid in full for my Pre in Oct. in hopes of getting a signed card. If I don't get one I'm gonna be pissed!

There are a few signed cards on eBay, though not in silver pen.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

I completely agree. Those were two perks that made spending some extra on this title worth it (to date I've been a 'Pro' guy). If you're happy or pleasantly surprised you're getting Batgirl, that's how we felt. Except we paid for our Premiums with Batgirl on them. We shouldn't be UNpleasantly surprised that these items have changed for the worse.

I suspect if you are a Premium owner expecting Batgirl art based on the original flyers, your distributor could get replacement stickers for you. You could ask about the card, but that was never promised to any Premium buyer (though I understand the expectation that 180 early Premiums would have them). Maybe they are being randomly placed on Premiums during the build process.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Having issues downloading new code. Following directions. Any ideas. See pics on two screens i get. This is the second flash drive used. The spike system sucks. I had a led light fail and this caused half of the lights to go out and flippers to fail. Unbelievable!!!

I do not remember seeing this sequence during the update process. I presume the failures you mention happened before the update?

#624 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

LE Episode #62 here.
Special thanks to PinballSupernova for the video of my machine.
» YouTube video

The video has some nice split screen of the LCD and playfield action (about the last third of the video). Not on the 0.65 code level, but still useful.

#625 7 years ago

I'm thinking of replacing the stock rubbers with some colored one. Anyone have a suggestion on brand and/or colors that would work well with the game?

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

hope Stern will make it right ( you would think so)

Hope isn't going to cut it here. Stern needs to be proactive by developing a response plan and communicating it quickly.

If any of the SLE owners see similar problems, it could create a PR nightmare ("owners of the most expensive production pinball machine ever sold are reporting massive issues with poor craftsmanship and playfield defects on Stern's flagship new Batman game"). Unlike any previous game, Batman SLE/LE games were clearly targeted almost solely at the collector/home market. Comments at Expo indicate that Stern understands this, but with multiple examples of playfield problems this early in the life of the game, they clearly haven't done anything to address the expectations of this market segment.

If the playfield problems were one-offs, it would be a minor concern for the market overall. But if this is now a systemic problem with the primary component of a pinball game, it does not bode well for Stern, especially if operators and collectors actually do start voting with their wallets.

As an LE owner, I'm extremely discouraged and disappointed to see others with these issues. I hope I don't see similar problems, but it is unreasonable to expect my experience will end up being any different. I'm going to go over my game with a fine tooth comb before another ball is plunged and may even wait until I can install a full playfield protector. It is a shame I even have to consider that, but it's a travesty that some have already suffered such significant damage in such a short period of gameplay.

#727 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

I purchased the game from Pinball Alley in Rochester, New York. Playfield manufacturing date was 12/2/2016. Mine is LE 38 Interdigital Batsorter. I am located in Texas and the game is home use only. I got the game on January 3rd. The sticker below is on the playfield.

What's the serial number and date of manufacture? It will be on the back of the main cabinet. It may also be on the box, but I don't remember and no longer have my box.

I'll be glad to collect details from folks that want to report that info to see if we can identify anything in common. However, I would expect that we aren't talking too many different batches of playfields this early.

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alas, that's what happens when I fall behind in a thread.

Don't feel bad - you weren't the only one that got fooled ...

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So far, I believe we've only seen 1 playfield affected in this thread, so it could just be a one off problem.

At least two - texasff78 and calprog.

#814 7 years ago

Mirco has playfield protectors up for preorder. Will not be shipped before the end of the month (waiting on production playfield to fine tune the prototype). I ordered one.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com

Decided I'd try one and see if I like it rather than take a chance I have a defective playfield. Not going to play my LE much, if at all, until it's installed. That's probably silly, but no too much sillier than paying $10k for a toy ...

#824 7 years ago

In either case, it doesn't seem like this is a difficult install - take off both ramps and the sling covers?

Quoted from MT45:

I'm going to send them an email to give them a heads up that they will need to add two small "ears" of material to the left and right of the piece of the protector just below the turntable. (They probqbly already know this). My original template did not have these designed in and I HAD TO add them afterward. There are 2 small cavities built into those areas that allow the pinball to be pushed into as the turntable spins to help alleviate jamming the mech. If you don't have those small pieces the ball gets pushed into those cavities and off the edge of the protector, then can't rollback over that 2mm edge. I cut 2 small pieces of material afterward and mylar ed them in and it now works perfect ... see image for area.

Thank you for doing this - I hope Mirco can add these flaps to the production versions.

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Sad when it is coming to this on new games. How do those protectors install anyway

I agree. It is sad to have to consider this, but I consider the $100 to be playfield insurance. I've never used one before, but have heard good things from folks that have used them on other games. And $100 is nothing compared to the anguish of possibly going through what others have with defective playfields. Even if I end up having a defective playfield and Stern does replace it, that would cost me more in time and aggravation.

The nice thing about these compared to other options is that it just lays on the playfield - no adhesive, no sealing, just a nice coat of wax before laying it down. I hope it doesn't make the PF look dull, but I think I'd rather have dull than damaged.

#841 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How do you know if you have a defective PF if you use the protector?
What if the protector gets all scratched up, ends up being not worth it after a year or so and you pull it off and find you have a F ed up PF.?

What do you think the PF would be F'ed up from? It's a smooth piece of plastic going on a waxed playfield that will have little if any movement. What would damage the PF?

You are correct I probably won't know if I have a defective playfield. But the whole point of using a protector on a new game is to avoid dealing with the fallout if I do.

#852 7 years ago

Post in another thread says Stern rejecting almost all BM66 playfields coming in for Premium builds. Anyone have any more details?

#863 7 years ago

Thanks for doing this.

You three look like you are having fun. The ramps aren't as hard to make as you guys are showing ...

#871 7 years ago

PiperPinball - which Catwoman toy is that?

I like the ramp stickers? Decals?

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Its the hallmark Catwomen. We installed a single 1.8mm cool white, slow flickering led behind the diamond in her hand.

Can you provide more details / pics on how/where you mounted the LED?

#888 7 years ago

In general, I agree with both of you. But since we don't have any confidence that Stern has a handle on the playfield issues yet, I'm not willing to risk the aggravation of having to deal with a return/replace scenario. That is not covered by the warranty, so that relies on the goodwill of Stern and/or the distributor.

If I knew for sure my PF would be replaced if it exhibits some of the issues others have seen, I would absolutely play my game now and hope for the best. But that's a potentially expensive bet avoided by a $100 protector (or less if DIY).

I'll reevaluate if I can't stand having the protector on my game and certainly hope that we don't see any other playfield issues on Batman games.

But I'm with you with regard to future NIB games - no longer a consideration until there is general consensus that the playfield quality issues have been fixed. That is disappointing, as I have great interest in two rumored future titles.

#889 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure that's a protector made out of a different and thicker material than what would be used on Batman.

#891 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I don't understand pf protectors personally. To each their own!
I do understand lighting. George skimped a bit on GI I added four spotlights and a trough light. I ran out of whites so I had to use some purple for two spots and green for trough temporarily. These pics are glass on with PDI.
I'll be streaming this again tomorrow around 7pm EST

Yup, I think spots are needed on this game.

#903 7 years ago

Ive had no problems with BM66LE #66 and no dimpling, etc. We played over 50 games last night and about a dozen or so this morning. Hopefully nothing changes.

Good to hear. My game was built the same day so maybe that means our playfields are from the same batch.

But I would still like to understand why a couple of the games in this thread look like crap and that one magnet is totally trashed.

#909 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Was watching some BM66 tonight (somewhere around episode 34-36 or so) and went down to play a game afterward.
Realized that one of the first "mods" I did was to add the Pinball Life red "Pinguard Nylon Legbolt" washers (red). Never took the time to share the pic
Small but nice touch

I like the washers, but I think I would also go with black leg bolts.

#911 7 years ago

Don't forget to post your episode and gadget info in the related thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-le-episode-and-gadget-list

#942 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Here are some pictures of my mods to BM66 so far.
- PDI glass, of course
- 4 black spotlights added to the GI on top of the slings
- Batmobile and Batcycle near the flippers (temporary until some innovative Pinsider comes up with a better idea)
- Spotlight in the back right, currently wired to the GI as well
- Bust to access batpoles on top of a bumper cap (again until someone comes up with a better idea)
- Batcopter above the left ramp
There's less room for mods than I expected. The only obvious open spots that seem to remain are by the right ramp cat and the far left, back corner, perhaps. The bust should have been by the phone, but there's just not enough room there to add it. I wonder if it might be worth the extra work to mount little bat spotlights all over to enhance the GI instead of the usual silver/black pin spotlights we're used to? I'll throw that idea out there and hope one of our Pinsider modders come up with something like that, though it'll cost a bit to buy a bunch of bat signals. Anyway, some of these are place holders until I see a better idea.

How did you mount the toys? I presume they are the Mattel versions and not the Eaglemoss ones?

#943 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Found white lights for my spots. Friend brought some, including trough LEDs. Way better. I also did a batmobile, batcopter, and boat.

Looks like the trough light is washing out the bottom of the bat logo. Does it look like that in person?

#958 7 years ago

Want.

#961 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

the red bat-phone toy on the turn-table is all red. But, if you watch the LCD, the videos of the red bat-phone show it having a black center piece. think the toy should be colored black too in the middle?

This one has bugged me ever since I first saw the game. A decal is needed for sure.

#973 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello,Fellow Bat Fans!! MY B66LE came yesterday,and I've gotten all the paperwork out of it,but,not unboxed yet!!My question is,Where do you find out what Bat gadget you get??? Nothing in my paperwork says what it is??There is a #56 on the box,does that give a clue?? Any help ??Thanks!!!

You have to look on the plaque on the left front of the backbox.

Unbox it and let us know ... you could have an episode or a gadget.

Post pics here:

#980 7 years ago

Interesting that you have 53 and the box said 56. Sorry to hear about the TV. To answer your question, yes. My game was playable out of the box.

Do what many of us have done - go through your game, check for loose and missing screws/hardware, check the zip ties (especially left ramp), glue the Batmobile screws in and do the QC that Stern apparently missed on many of these games. And keep your fingers crossed your playfield isn't defective.

#987 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm guessing the $11,500 firm price is what's stopping those two from getting together.

Yup. $10k list is insane enough to start with. I really, really wanted an LE. But no way, no how would I have ever considered more. I hope the Batman flippers flop.

For those where $10k-$11k is rounding error, maybe. I suspect that LE will be available for quite some time.

#991 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Is the topper interactive during game play? No lights are on at all.

The topper currently only functions during attract mode.

How did a light short out two node boards?

#996 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Happened again. LED in sling (specifically the right top led) ... ball is impacting. Replaced with flat tops this time.

What is a flat top and why do you think that will be better?

#1012 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Well.my B66LE #53 was delivered Friday! Pin never worked! Completely FUBAR!! Shaft to the turntable welds broken!

Do you have a picture?

#1014 7 years ago

Based on the serial numbers I've seen, at least 600 (SLE/LE/Premiums) are out now and I'm sure that's low.

I don't know where you're getting 2-3% or what you consider issues, but what matters is the type of issues. Missing or loose screws is one thing; playfields that look like the surface of the moon after 100 plays is much worse.

#1021 7 years ago

Where can one order it? Link?

If it's orderable, your distributor can do it. But the part number isn't listed in the manual. Perhaps it's in the addendum that came with the SLE topper.

#1030 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hopefully it wont be too over priced.

It's going to be a Stern accessory. By definition that means it will be overpriced ... especially since they know their potential market is limited to 240.

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I assumed premium buyers could use it as well. Seems like Stern would be leaving money on the table if it was just for LE owners.

I just assumed it connected to the auxiliary boards for the toppers that are only on the LEs and SLEs.

#1038 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

There are actually 2 node cards in the top of the backbox dedicated just for the topper ( seems like overkill, but true)....guessing the premiums don't have these cards (?)

Correct. I presume they could be added, but the Premiums do not come with them.

#1048 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

It may have been mentioned already, but I was surprised to see the head decals on the LE and Premium were switched. I like the Batgirl head decals and was a little confused to open my Premium and find it had LE head decals (Batman on one side, Robin on the other). I inquired about it and was told they switched them.

This was covered a few weeks ago. The backbox side art was switched between the Premiums and LEs after the initial flyers were printed. The updated flyers are on the Stern site, but the original promo art "photos" has not.

It would be interesting to see what % of Premium/LE owners were disappointed by the change. I'm an LE owner that wanted the Batgirl art, so I was happy. But I'm sure some were disappointed.

#1050 7 years ago

CCC and BM66 - a lot of pinball money side by side (!)

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I figured it out. Checked all of the cables and found that the one cable that was plugged on the left board into CN1 was off by one pin. Not sure if Stern purposely did this because the topper shipped seperately or what.

It wasn't Stern that plugged the cable in incorrectly...

#1069 7 years ago

Holy Bat-theme pinball game cards!

Holy Schizophrenia, Batman!

#1073 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Here's a photo of an experiment I'm trying, dueling Batlights. I installed docquest's version in the back right corner hooked into the appropriate SLE plug. The one in the back left corner is hooked into the GI. Truth be told, there's not a lot of real estate for installing these. Anyone else thinking about going with more than one?

I think more than one is overkill, especially given the number of Batsignals already depicted on the playfield. I haven't installed my docquest light (awesome work!), but can't figure out a better spot for it than the back right. I did look at where yo have the left one, but it looked "lost" and did not draw my eye to it like the Stern location.

But I agree with the idea to get more light on the playfield - it's just too dark.

#1075 7 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Just installed yellow plastic protectors.

It's a little hard to tell by the pictures - what is your impression about them looking directly at the game?

#1082 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I saw this photo in another thread and it made me cringe. I am shaking my head on this one, this is not normal to have wear this quickly. If I saw HO! HO! HEE! HEE! right below major defective pf wear I would feel like Stern was taunting me, every time I looked at it.

Yeah, for some reason there is a group of people that want to equate this and some of the other horrible playfield issues with normal dimpling and expected wear. Not sure what they gain by denying that Stern has a quality issue with some portion of the playfields that they haven't figured out how to resolve yet.

#1089 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like export Aerosmith games need a metal cage around the spike 2 board for EMI reasons. So will export Batman66 games need that as well?

Yes.

#1095 7 years ago

Anyone hooked up an external Polk subwoofer yet? How do you connect it?

#1125 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I had double spots set up like that too, but the harsh reflection of the bulb on the black artwork right next to egghead and bookworm was driving me crazy.

So where did you move them? Or did you just take them off?

#1183 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

OK ... update time. I'm working with the folks from Germany doing some test fitting of the new PF protector for BM66 (you're going to love it. Nice fit, total coverage and not too hard to install).

1) Does it have the wings for the turntable?

2) what do you have to take off the playfield to install it?

3) are you going to recommend any modifications?

#1230 7 years ago

You happen to know a part number for that wire? LEs and Premiums don't have it.

Is the black screw the one that comes on the Eaglemoss?

#1409 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I scanned through the clips in pinball browser of the 0.68 firmware and didnt see any clips from the movie. Also didnt see any batgirl clips either.
Interestingly, l didnt see any video clips of shame, egghead, mr freeze, mad hatter, or king tut. They did have "cartoonized" clips of the minor villains getting jailed though (similar to the jail clips of the 4 major villains).
There were a bunch of bookworm video clips in there though. It seems odd they would have video clips of bookworm but not the minor villains. So I hope they will add the others later (and maybe movie clips and batgirl).

I can understand if they can't have movie clips because of licensing issues, but we absolutely need Batgirl clips!

#1452 7 years ago

Anyone know what scale the Batmobile on the turntable is?

#1458 7 years ago

The Catwoman mod is awesome - great job. I especially like the detail of blacking out the red wire.

For anyone willing to make one for those of us who have absolutely no dexterity or skill to make this mod, I'll be your first customer ...

#1559 7 years ago

Playfield protector installed today. Unless you know where to look, you can't tell it's there. Nice job on it. Apparently much easier to put on when you take the crane off the top. I can't think of any downside to using it, especially on a home game. And it looks so much nicer than it photographs - adds a very nice glasslike sheen to the PF.

Handful of games and already had clear issues at the shooter lane and by Riddler saucer, so stopped playing until the protector showed up. First game after it was installed (first ball even!). the Batmobile comes flying down the playfield. Locktite/glue no help ... no chance this will screw back on. Going to have to get a replacement.

The BDK cliffy is a perfect fit for the Penguin scoop.

IMG_2192 (resized).JPGIMG_2192 (resized).JPG
IMG_2194 (resized).JPGIMG_2194 (resized).JPG

#1562 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Same happened to me with the locktite. The locktite actually melts the plastic on the crap Hotwheels bat car and the whole thing fell off. Ended up bolting it on.

I'm hoping one car I just ordered has a metal bottom. NFW my current car can be bolted/riveted back on - nothing left to grab. For now, no Batmobile in the Batcave ...

#1563 7 years ago

Has anyone played with audio or video out of the game to an external amp/monitor?

#1574 7 years ago

If you haven't already done so, post your game details here:

And don't forget to take the poll. I have quite a few more games documented than poll votes.

#1575 7 years ago

What pitch are people leveling their games at?

#1585 7 years ago

Aww s**t!! I just put some blue Loctite on mine. Is it doomed for sure?

I got 1/2 way through one ball of play ...

#1589 7 years ago

I have attached one of the black collapsible cup holders to my machine. I thought that was the most appropriate style, because I want to create a sticker for the face.

I was thinking something like "Bat Drink Containment Device", but the font would be too small to read. My daughter suggested "Bat Beverage Berth".

Anyone have any good Bat gadget names for a cup holder they would like to share?

#1592 7 years ago

Batman doesn't drink alcohol.

#1623 7 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Need some help here. Just received a new rotating assembly from Stern. After installing it, I noticed that the front part of the rotating disk facing towards the player isn't flush with the playfield. Ball at times will get stuck on the left and center lip which at the moment is about 1/8 - .25 down. I
Called support and they tried to explain that there is a way to adjust the mech. Still confused on where to change the height. If someone has expierenced the same issue can you post a pic showing which screw(s) to adjust. Thanks in advance!

I have a similar issue and couldn't find a way to adjust one section of the turntable - need a way to tilt the center support axis.

#1624 7 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

See if they'll send out an updated replacement. Let us know.

They will. Spoke to Chaz a few minutes ago. Sending me a replacement Batmobile assembly and a shipping label to send the old one back.

#1625 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I have a similar issue and couldn't find a way to adjust one section of the turntable - need a way to tilt the center support axis.

According to Chaz, if you put the turntable in the Batphone position, there should be two feet that can be loosened to allow you to adjust the pitch. I don't remember seeing those, but will check it out.

#1630 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sending a new turn table? I watched tech adjusting it to level. Took some trial and error to get it right

No, just the Batmobile spinner. I'm going to see if the turntable front to back leveling can be done before I would ask for a replacement. I'm concerned it might be damaged because it wasn't properly secured to the playfield, but if it can be leveled that's a whole lot easier then replacing the whole thing.

#1636 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sending a new turn table? I watched tech adjusting it to level. Took some trial and error to get it right

With regard to the turntable, I'm not talking about adjusting it up and down. I can't figure out how to adjust the front to back or side to side pitch.

#1640 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I would be happy with flush at the front and the turntable lower at the back.

IIRC, this is the way Chas said it is supposed to be. It apparently is not supposed to be perfectly level at all three positions (which I don't understand).

#1643 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For LE and SLE owners.
Does the bat logo on your topper go on and off or is it on all the time?
I noticed mine is always on and when I go into diagnostics for that lamp its still on and doesn't flash.
Is this how it works on everyone elses topper?

I believe mine is always on. Can't check tonight, but can tomorrow.

#1647 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK you guys go fu....g around with that metal "kabob",you break it,and a replacement will cost you more time than money to replace! Now,I'm warning you! Of 3 B66s in my area,my tech has had the same thing happen to all three!Just a headsup on a weak part!!

The tech has broken 3 turntables? Doing what exactly?

#1661 7 years ago

I want to turn down the force at which the ball feed kicker fires, but couldn't find an adjustment. Anyone know if there is one and/or where it is?

#1665 7 years ago

I like the new full orbit shots in .69!

#1709 7 years ago

While I would love to see the movie bomb sequence, I suspect the license only covers the TV series.

#1721 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

reminded me to strongly recommend the Flipper Fidelity Spike 2 high output upgrade speaker and sub kit. Don't have to be an audiophile to hear the dramatic improvement.

Absolutely agree. Huge difference.

#1730 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

It's dramatic. Regarding the Jensens, I haven't heard an SLE in person yet.

Ditto. I'm sure they are better than stock, but no idea how they compare to the FF set.

#1733 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Batphone, w proper button:

Which toy is that? Where did you get it? Looks the the best option if you aren't going to do a bust/desk setup.

Or is that the Stern chew toy with a modification?

#1739 7 years ago

I like the Riddler plastic!

#1748 7 years ago

What is this a picture of?

#1776 7 years ago

Did anyone else notice the little Batman trophy next to the grand champion high score seems to have disappeared with the latest code?

The trophy appears when any player in the previous game makes the HS table. It's still there.

#1799 7 years ago
Quoted from PinNin:

There is a shooterlane protector for BM66 available:
http://pinball-universe.de/batman-66-shooter-lane-protector

I'd buy one if I could understand enough German to order one ...

#1807 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

if you open it in with google chrome browser a "translate page" option appears in the upper right corner. Here's the translated version.

I got that far, just couldn't get the shopping cart to work with google translate

#1808 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thought I would drop this link in here, thread created by cooked71
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-get-wireform-made
How many BM66 owners would be interested in an enclosed wireform to replace the cheap'o plastic cover?
Ideally a small top side only wireform could be made to make the beginning of the ramps complete/full wireforms, it would also be the most cost effective option, but if it had to be a complete replacement wireform would people still be interested at the added expense?

I am absolutely in. The cost would be a drop in the bucket compared to the price of the game and the ramp would be like it should have been in the first place.

#1825 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

question:
if we put on the full playfield protector (overlay), do we also need the cliffy protectors? or no?
if we did need both, i'm guessing the cliffy protectors would go on first, then playfield protector.

I put the Cliffy on the scoop before the overlay. No issues.

#1826 7 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

Where would one specifically locate a Cliffy for this game...that is available?
I am assuming it is the same as BDK.....but I cannot find one for sale??
Mike

It is the BDK scoop Cliffy. Perfect fit.

#1827 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I would take the Crane over the usual static bash toys that make the playfield look more loaded but don't actually do anything

Until I started playing the game, my first thought is "the playfield is too open and looks a little sparse". But that changed when I saw the crane go into action. I think it's one of the most unique bash toys in modern pinball and it works very well in this game. It's not original, but very few are going to have both BDK and BM66 in their collections. If you have either, you have a game with a very cool toy.

The most common complaint about BM66 (QC issues notwithstanding) is that it's just a retheme of BDK because of the scoop and crane. I remember playing BDK a fair bit and really wanted to like it. I never did. I don't know how much theme played into that (not a big BDK movie fan).

As someone else said, I think there was a missed opportunities by not having toys like "sliding down the Batpoles" or "Batmobile exits the Batcave", but if we just see BM66 as a retheme, George got it right this time and the uniqueness of the crane toy is a big part of why it works.

#1860 7 years ago

Very cool!

See if you can get a picture of either one playing it ...

If it were my game, I'd get them to personalize and sign the translite.

#1871 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Stage 2 beautification initiated... Hemi and I have a master plan.

Care to share your plan?

#1880 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

A had a flipper spring break on my Batman66 this weekend. First time I've ever seen a spring break. The connecting loop on one end just snapped off. Is that typically seen on Stern machines? It was at a show so I had to improvise a fix by uncoiling the last few turns and making a new connecting loop.

Never had a spring break on a Stern before, but have only owned 4.

How was the game received at the show? Did you have the duo autograph the game?

#1885 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or he wants to make sure the next code drop is epic. That's what I'm thinking.

That's what I'm hoping.

Be nice to get some official word from Stern that Lyman will be given the resources to properly finish the game on the company dime.

#1906 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It was a good weekend. It was a real treat to play my Batman66 with the actual Batman and Robin.

That's the Pinside understatement of the year.

Congrats!

#1912 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

During our game walkthrough I told him the code would be evolving and there would be future updates.

I typed up a summary of the current rules and modes, the email address to send his info to Stern to get on the code update email list, and a copy of the page from the manual that details the update process.

I would have put the current code on a USB stick and given it to the pinball boy wonder .... just sayin'.

(Also just sayin' how incredibly jealous I am of your weekend!)

#1941 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did he really say the thing about the utility belt? I've seen Adam West in full on charm mode and that's one of the standby lines

West has used that line for years in interviews and appearances. Even though I've heard it a lot, it's always funny.

#1943 7 years ago
Quoted from melumga:

With the introduction of the right orbit loop in code .69, I find that upon completing the loop twice consecutively that the 3rd time around the ball has picked up so much speed that attempting to hit the loop again causes the ball to kick up and hit the glass. Makes me wince every time and I've learned to hold back on hitting the loop more than twice. Is anyone else having this issue and what can be done about it?

I would check to see if the left flipper rubber is on correctly. I'm pretty sure I've made the right orbit three times in a row and didn't see this happen.

#1958 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

While waiting for the next code update, I replaced the stock start button (came crooked from the factory) with one of my own design.

Very nicely done!

#1973 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They will send out new assembly asap
Then you gotta install it. I went through the same thing

I haven't examined mine. You've probably looked at the assembly a lot closer - how well do you think it's going to hold up over time?

1 week later
#2107 6 years ago

In 0.70, if trying to start a game and a ball is missing, Pinball ball search does not trigger the Riddler scoop switch.

1 week later
#2156 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

I wonder if the "incremental update" option does this. I too have a few settings that are annoying to reset. I did the 'full update' from 69 to 70.

Yes, it does. What is surprising to me is that all the play counts are reset too.

#2169 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, today is 2 weeks since the last small update, but they've been as long as 5 weeks between updates. Someone said it was supposed to be today, but Stern is not exactly reliable with their pledge to update Batman every two weeks (hasn't happened once on the two week "Gomez Drops" mark since release). So probably some time between today and 3 weeks from today.

For someone who has given up on the game, you sure bitch a lot about the code. Stern has pledged that Lyman will be given the time he believes he needs to complete the game. That is enough for me and almost everyone else who bought in to Batman 66.

You complaining any time Stern doesn't release an update when you think they should adds nothing to the discussion about the game. I'm sure you have justified it to yourself that you're selling the game because the code is incomplete. Fine - that's your prerogative. But there's no reason you have to back-door bad mouth the game because you are disappointed at the frequency of code updates on a game you wished you hadn't purchased in the first place.

#2179 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I still have the machine. Covered. It now gets played for a day or so when the new code drops and is almost like the old code, then goes back into hibernation for 3-5 weeks until the next drop.
Anyone who believes that Lyman is being given full time to work on Batman '66 NOW is a rube. The code drops are way too sparse to account for 40 hours x the number of weeks it took since the last drop (in the case of .70 that was 5 weeks. The update was no way, no how 200 hours of work). And if they believe that he will be given time to polish it out into a masterpiece, I have a bridge to sell you. He's being pulled in too many directions, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was working on at least parts of one or two other pins currently besides Batman.
Nothing Gomez has said regarding Batman'66 code has come to pass. His two week promised "Gomez drop" schedule "until we getcha there" never materialized, and the space between drops is getting longer and longer, most recently 5 weeks.
In our case, this was supposed to be a cool "thank you" to players on a route, but the machine is so shallow with almost no content that we won't even put it on route. The operator I work with is not a happy camper about the whole situation. So the machine's up for sale, and if it sells, great. If it doesn't, at the current rate we should be able to put it out in late Summer with beta code for players to finally enjoy. Until then, it sits covered, waiting for the engine to make it fun.

As I said, you have sour grapes about your purchase. You continue to make unsubstantiated claims about how Lyman is spending his time which contradict statements from both Stern and Lyman. He has done some work on the Spike 2 platform, so if you want to split hairs - there you go.

If anyone is a rube, it's someone who bought the game without understanding the status of BM66. I don't know of a SINGLE owner that didn't understand (a) the code was very early because the game was pushed forward 5 months and (b) Lyman was doing the software. Was it a risk (especially as an LE or SLE buyer)? Sure. But it was a known risk and educated buyers moved forward knowing that status.

I'm sorry you had unrealistic expectations or didn't do your homework. But your constant whining is childish.

#2190 6 years ago

The game was accelerated 5 months. A fair baseline comparasion against other initial releases is late May.

#2195 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

To say a club thread has to be unrealistically chipper when we're almost 5 months post-launch

As I stated above, I'm pretty sure everyone who did their homework knew what to expect (except for you and your operator friend apparently)

We are not unrealistically chipper. What we are is tired of your incessant whining about the same thing over and over and over. What is your end game? You say you want the game to turn out awesome, but it seems like all you want to do is to gets others down on the game because code isn't being updated as fast as you, the world renowned self proclaimed pinball software development expert whose math shows zero comprehension of the software development process, want to see.

Other owners are going to make their own judgements on whether or not it was a wise move for them to buy the game so early. We don't need your schizophrenic rants of itsucksitsucksitsucksihopeitsgoingtobeawesonebutitsucks to decide for us.

#2198 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I do not agree with this statement. I own a BM66LE and indeed i knew the code was not very good when they showed the machine, but I expected that Stern would take pride in delivering a good experience, especcially with this machine. They presented it as their best machine ever and also priced it like that. It has been everything but that, quality wise and gameplay/code wise.
I feel the same frustration as vireland . Not so much that the machine is bad, but the fact that we are constantly being fooled (or lied to) by Stern about the progression of the software. No way that an experienced programmer as Lyman takes this many hours producing that little code.
I do not understand the hostile reactions to the stating of the fact that Stern does not (NEVER) do what they say. They just do not come through on their statements. We paid a crapload of money based on the statements of Stern regarding BM66 and until now we do not have much to show for it.
I believe sincerely that the machine will get better and I will not sell it or anything, but I also dislike the fact that Stern is obviously always more interested in the next game that will bring in the money than taking care of the people that support and trust them to deliver on what they promised.

You and vireland miss the obvious. Batman 66 was pushed up at least 5 months in the development cycle. That means under normal circumstances there would have been work (e.g. code development) going on for 5 months we would not have seen. We are essentially seeing that now - the incremental steps toward an initial release. It's not reasonable to judge that until the initial cycle should have been done.

To compare apples to apples we should be judging by what Stern has released for Batman by late May or early June. To do anything else simply displays complete ignorance of the product development cycle. If Stern hadn't pushed Batman up to name the 50th anniversary date no one would be upset about code status because we wouldn't even have the game yet.

#2201 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A hilarious statement since I do game software for a living. I have about 25 years of experience with the "software development process", so yeah, I know BS when I see it regarding coding output vs claimed time allocated. No way Lyman is spending 100% of his time on Batman '66 for the last 19 weeks as Gomez claimed

Then you of all people should know that being on a project full time does not equate to 40 hours a week of coding/development.

I know BS when I see it too. If you were to look in a mirror it would be obvious where it's coming from.

#2202 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

You miss my point that I am trying to make. It is not about the code development at all, my gripes are with the fact that Stern cannot be trusted with their statements. Not regarding the code, not regarding the number of SLE's being built etcetera.

Ah. Well on that, I agree. To a point. Stern has a long way to go with communication (see the GB playfield replacement issues). But most of the knock on BM66 code has been based on third party comments, not anything official from Stern (and no, George's "every two weeks" was not an official Stern position).

"Can Stern be trusted?" Is a whole different conversation of which Batman code is only a small part. The future buying patterns of past (and potential future) Stern customers will provide the answer to that question.

#2208 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're right. Full time in software development is often 60 and sometimes 80 hours a week in crunch time. But you're not helping your case.

You should really learn to quit when you're behind. Now you want to change project management methodology to try and make a point? I've been an architect, developer and project manager on major (multi-million dollar) and minor software projects so I know you are cherry picking to advance your point without any basis in fact. You aren't part of Stern development nor privy to their process. Stop claiming you know better than those at Stern that actually do.

#2209 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Ok, so honest question here. I have no idea how the software development is done for this game. However, I have a fair bit of experience in development, including running development for a software company. We tried to break products down into the smallest independent modules we could. Not only did this facilitate reuse, it also simplified testing and allowed multiple teams to work on components independently. (It's the old axiom "what one developer can code in one week, two can code in three") As a result, when we decided on a specific release package, large chunks of work could be excluded from the release. Maybe some aspect wasn't done, perhaps there were efficiency issues, maybe the test process couldn't be completed in time or, god forbid, maybe there were bugs. Added to this was the fact that a release would often include changes to some of the 'behind the curtain' code to enhance supportability, efficiency or lay the groundwork for some future capability. These often took a lot of time but were hidden from the users. As a result, it would be impossible for an outsider to conjecture on how much time was spent on development between two releases.
So now for my questions. Are the components structured in a similar manner? In other words, is work on callouts independent from video, independent from the this feature (say crane), independent from another feature (say turntable)? If so, is it possible that large amounts of time are being spent coding components that are not included in a given release? Is it also possible that some aspects are being reworked for efficiency, future needs, etc.?

This would be interesting to know. We know that the work on the callouts for Batman 66 and presumably most/all of the video (not necessarily new animation) has been done because they are already in the code.

I presume that coding for the platform (Spike 2, which is new with BM66) may include function not fully utilized by BM66 and is therefore somewhat independent, but that code for specific game features like the crane and turntable is not.

I think we have some evidence of work for efficiency/future needs of the platform in the last few updates (replacing the old style red dots instant info, support for incremental updates) that aren't directly related to Batman code. If indeed Lyman is responsible for the Spike 2 platform code as well as the Batman code, then the pace of game feature enhancement can be understood. But I don't think we should assume Lyman is doing all the work. I doubt he is doing any of the graphics or any asset editing.

I would love to see Stern put something together to show us what was involved in development of both Spike 2 and Batman.

#2211 6 years ago

Good post @jonm. I think we can all agree that Stern has failed miserably in demonstrating that they understand how to commicate with their customers or acknowledge and thank the customers who supported Stern so they could even have an anniversary pin.

But Stern succeeds in spite of itself because operators, enthusiasts and rec room buyers (to use Gary's market segments) continue to buy new games no matter what Stern does (or more correctly, doesn't do). Until there is a marked decrease in sales that can be directly attributed to Stern's failures, we are just going to see more of the same.

#2218 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I'm hopeful that there has been some behind the scenes work all along on the minor villains and that we'll see them in the next update or so and it'll jump up 10% or further along. Perhaps Lyman has been working and building on minor villains all along, but has had to keep it unimplemented in game play thus far due to Gomez insisting on smaller but faster updates than usual. It's probably something that has to be turned on all the way or not at all, without bugging up the game play.

This is a great point. There could very well be code that is just being branched around because a particular feature isn't ready for prime time. The other thing to consider is that it always take some extra time to get a release candidate together (build, test, regression test) so any time spent getting a release ready for us is less time spent on actually writing code. (Probably not a lot, but still).

1 week later
#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Better be some damn Batgirl in there soon too! She's featured on my LE's translight, head sides, and a playfield plastic. That's at least as much as the dynamic duo.

Agreed. I haven't gone through all the video in the code, but I haven't seen any with Batgirl. Does anyone know if there are any Batgirl clips in there?

#2329 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, I know. Their only reason was that the goods will get damaged. I told them I would take full responsibility if it got damaged, but they haven't responded.

Getting prints from Franchi is hit or miss. If there is any issue or hiccup, it takes months to resolve and he is horrible about timely communication. Great art, terrible customer service.

#2330 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And three weeks of "a bug came up that prevents release" is grade "A" Gomez BS. There are plenty of recent Stern games with buggy firmware (GB still has a transient reboot bug, even). In the state BM'66 is in people EXPECT that, so there's no reason not to release the code and let people choose whether the improvements outweigh the "bug" downside. Unless that was made all up and Lyman's not been working on Batman 100% of his time as previously stated and Gomez is once again vamping for time.
4 weeks since the last Gomez Drop. A third of a year since the game shipped.

I knew you couldn't resist another cheap shot. It's amazing you slam Gomez assuming third or fourth hand comments are fact. You still don't seem to understand the timeline here. Which is pretty amazing given your self-proclaimed intimate knowledge of Lyman's work habits and Stern's code development process.

1 week later
#2399 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Received No:110, no I idea if it is an Episode or Gadget, haven't been able to open it yet due to work

Getting a new pin is always reason for a vacation day.

#2418 6 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

What to you do to activate this mode/video?

BAT TURN mode:
- Lit at the ATOMIC PILE after 10 hits (default) to the BATMOBILE.
- BATMOBILE spins increase the payoff value.
- When the mode starts, all shots are lit for the payoff value, which
counts down.
- Shoot any shot to collect the payoff value and stop the countdown.
The shot will no longer be available.
- Hitting the BATMOBILE increases the payoff value, re-lights all of
the shots, and re-starts the countdown.
- If a multiball mode (either TURNTABLE MULTIBALL or VILLAIN ESCAPE)
runs with BAT TURN and the turntable moves to the TV side, all of the
shots are re-lit and worth 2x the current payoff value, and the value
will not count down. Shooting a lit shot re-lights all of the other
shots.
- The mode is TIMED (40 seconds, default). The timer can be reset to
40 seconds by hitting the BATMOBILE, or by getting "MORE TIME" from
tHe Mystery award.

#2419 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

lol, I am guessing the .01 designator is more than likely poking fun at those in this thread that are hung up on what number the code revision is assigned. The version number means nothing as far as quantity of code goes, it is just an arbitrary number the programmer assigns to the revision. You will probably see a small code change with a big revision number somewhere in the future...lol

I agree. I thought the .01 was a great smackdown of our resident negative Nancy, who immediately took the bait.

Certainly can't expect 29 more major modes before the game is "complete", but it does seem to indicate there is a lot more to come.

#2422 6 years ago

We were all surprised by the new Bat Turn mode.

That got me to thinking - other than the obvious modes missing/incomplete (seasons, minor villians, Batusi) - what other modes would be cool? Here are some I'd like to see:

- Holy Flypaper mode : Get Robin to say as many "Holy" phrases as possible

- Bat Wall Climb - reveal as many window guest stars as possible. Use the Riddler hole shot to hold the ball while playing the longer clips.

- Enter Batgirl (maybe the Season 3 mode?)

- Good Citizen mode: Batman gives advice on each shot

Any other suggestions?

#2435 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can anyone explain how the X shots and X lights work? makes me think of multi kill

Hit the Commissioner Gordon target 3 times to light the x targets, then making the flashing shot will multiply (double?) value of the shot. I think you can repeat to increase the multiplier, but I've never done it.

#2464 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Because the idea that Lyman, or anyone at Stern, would change their update designators so that the " .01.....is more than likely poking fun at those in this thread" seems highly unlikely.

Actually, I think it's more likely than not. It's too perfect a zing for the code complaints not to be deliberate.

#2470 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Im really looking at buying a BM66. Im wondering how deep the code actually is right now? Is there any wizard modes coded yet? How long does it take to play through the entire game, basicly dont want to see the entire game in the first few days like Hobbit.

If you assume the Batsui adjustments in settings refer to a final wizard mode, then the answer to your question is no. Some might consider villian escape to be a wizard mode, so maybe the answer is yes. If you are a good player I believe you could play the (.71 level) code in a few days. I haven't yet, but I'm only an average player at best.

If you are looking to buy a Premium NIB, I'd wait to see the how the code fleshes out. Premiums will be available for quite a while. I had the same questions as you and only bought the game early because I had to decide on a NIB LE. If the LE hadn't been a possibility, I was planning to wait until at least summer and take another look.

#2471 6 years ago
Quoted from kingkong16:

Anyone still having problems with the Joker target sticking on the metal post? I have adjusted it a few times now under the PF but it still gets stuck when the ball hits it hard. What are the best ways to fix this?

I have not experienced this, but someone placed a small piece of target foam behind it and I think another bent the target forward slightly. There are details and pics earlier in the thread.

#2502 6 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Sorry if this was covered already, but has anyone seen what very much appears to be Steve Ritchie in one of the many extra ball animations. I'm 99% sure it's him wearing a black tucked in t shirt with glasses.
I know I'm not hallucinating because my buddy didn't believe so then we went glass off to confirm... and sure enough.
Steve Ritchie is the new cow Easter egg lol

Yes, the tourist is absolutely Steve.

#2509 6 years ago

Maybe Gary has changed his tune on code in general. When I have talked to him in the past, his comments were always along the line of "operators don't really care about code the way you guys do" (before "enthusiasts" became an official market segment for him).

However, BM66 may be in a chicken and egg situation - if the game isn't selling well (I have no idea how well the Premiums are selling), how do you know if it's because of code status? What evidence is there that says major game sales are tied to the robustness of the code?

BM66 may be in a special situation - certainly everyone on Pinside or anyone that went to Expo should have known the game was released early with alpha code. But that didn't matter to those interested in an LE or SLE. But if you don't care about one of the limited editions, why would you buy a game early/now if you are concerned that it may never be "finished"? No reason to take that risk since the game is likely to be in production for three years or so. I had the same thought process - I was very interested in the game, but if I couldn't get an LE, I was going to wait and see.

I do think sales will increase as the code matures, but I hope sales aren't crippled just because the game has an early ding for alpha code. If Lyman does what we all hope he will, BM66 will turn out to be a sleeper hit.

#2524 6 years ago

Always sucks to sell a game when you really don't want to.

Good luck with your move and hope to see you back in the club in short order.

3 weeks later
#2697 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The next update will probably b 6/29/17. That's 35 days, which is right in the range for the last few updates of 31-34 days. There's an off-chance that we get it on 6/22/17, but that's an abnormally quick 28 day Gomez drop. There hasn't been a "two week" Gomez drop below 30 days apart since February.

Spoken authoritatively by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the Stern code process.

#2714 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Okay, so we're about half way in between the most recent and next BM66 code updates and there's not a lot to talk about until the next code drop, except the crazy SW threads, so what do we all think is coming in the next code update? Keeping in mind that there was quite a bit of polish and some new clips in the last update, though a couple of the primary modes are probably in line to catch up to the last update's polish. Here are the most likely options I could think of:
1 - A surprise new mode like Bat Turn. (This is my personal vote and hope right now)
2 - Implementation of Minor Villains.
3 - A much bigger implementation of Gadgets than what we've seen thus far.
4 - Implementation of Seasons.
5 - Wizard or Minor Wizard modes, creation, updates, or polish.
6 - A substantial amount (shit load) of new call outs and video clips.
7 - Just a lot more polish, bug fixes, etc., kind of like the last update.
So, what's on your minds if you care to opine?

8. Batgirl

#2716 6 years ago

Was just about to post.

R.I.P. Adam.

Thanks for the wonder, hope and fun that you brought to Batman.

For me, there was only one Batman - Adam West.

#2738 6 years ago

The Stern accessories wait for this machine is getting ridiculous.

I'm guessing they haven't sold enough games yet to make doing accessories worthwhile.

#2776 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

They just showed boxes and boxes of "Bat Signal Topper Kits" on the Stern live stream.

Want.

#2778 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If so I hope they still plan to offer just the batsignal projector for the LE owners who already have a topper.

It will be a major disappointment if they don't.

#2781 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Would seem unfair to offer an upgrade to a premium owners that's not available to LE owners. Unfortunately I wouldn't put it past Stern if it means they sell more toppers.

The rumored Premium topper is totally different though since the Premium does not have the boards in the back box to drive the topper like the S/LEs do.

#2785 6 years ago

Kinda odd that these alleged toppers are ready to leave the factory and Stern hasn't given so much as a teaser.

That would require Stern to have someone on staff that understands basic marketing concepts.

#2796 6 years ago

If you haven't heard them, listen to Wally Wingbert's "Adam West" songs, both the original 1989 version and the 2004 dance mix. I happen to think they make fine tributes to the Bright Knight.

http://www.wallyontheweb.com/ph/ph.php

#2870 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If I ever find oblivion, I know there will be a big pile of my lost pinball parts there waiting for me.

Along with all the socks that disappear from the dryer.

#2872 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

is that Stern art or is it original BM66 TV show art ?

Stern.

#2913 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Another way to look at this. IF (big if) there is any truth to this rumor it could be that the next code update is 1.0 and is basically done (except for maybe some outstanding bug fixes). That could be a valid reason for Lyman to move on to support other projects.

There is far too much left to be done to expect the code is going to be complete with the next release.

I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on one rumor. I don't think it's realistic to expect that Lyman will work on BM66 exclusively until it's complete, but it is realistic to expect Stern to keep the commitment to allow him to finish the code. Expecting that he will finish the code on his own time is unfair.

Someone at Stern must understand that a big part of why Premiums aren't flying out the door is that people are waiting on the code. Unlike SLE and LE buyers, there was/is absolutely no reason to buy a Premium early.

Will people stop buying Stern games if the BM66 code is abandoned? Some, but probably not enough to make a difference. JJP sees and understands the value of deep and completed code to their customer base, which is 90% home. So far, Stern just pays lip service to that crowd.

#2959 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Be great if they could continue this level of communication and fan service moving forward.

Not sure I would be so quick to praise posting a picture without comment or any detail as improved communication or fan service.

If they had posted the pic and said "Lyman will officially be working on the code until he says it's done", that would have been something to celebrate.

#2963 6 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

The game will be 'completed'- as much or more so than his modern games. If you think otherwise you aren't paying attention to all publicly available information.

I don't think otherwise - that's exactly why I was willing to take a risk on buying an LE with alpha level code in January. I may not have faith in Stern, but I do in Lyman.

But I don't think Stern should get credit for great marketing or customer service simply because they posted a picture without any commentary. The picture may imply something, but in this case words are worth more.

#3023 6 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am excited about the game. I actually noticed it has 7.0 installed not 6.5 as I said earlier. I will try to update the SW later this week and let everyone know how it goes.

Welcome to the club!

You don't have to worry about loading multiple releases - just install the latest code (either 0.75 or later)

(You have your decimal point in the wrong place - current code is 0.75)

#3041 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have been involved with commercial game software for over 25 years and I can't figure out the version numbering vs the actual changelog on Batman'66. Gave up. All I know is we're a LONG way from anything close to basically complete.

We decided sometime ago that Lyman was just messing with the self-proclaimed software experts with the version numbering. Apparently one of them missed the joke ...

#3042 6 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

So what would be the significance if it was .80 and not .76. Does anyone really know what an increase by .01 means? Not really sure how they choose the numbering system. Maybe a software person can chime in.

Versioning is totally up to the software team or project or release manager. Usually a 1.00 version release level indicates that all design elements are functional. A .01 level change typically indicates a minor bug fix or non-critical change, a .1 release indicates some minor change or addition to function. A version change (e.g. 2.0.0) would typically indicate a significant functional change or in the case of pinball code a significant rule change.

However, no one here knows what, if any, criteria Stern uses. Until we do, I would ignore the significance of any numbering less than 1.0.0

#3081 6 years ago

Sadly, I think the topper for the Premium looks like a mess. Especially with the Batsignal added on. Between the translite, topper and Batsignsl there are three versions of the logo in the span of a few inches. And the villain art is too repeative of what is on the translite. It's like it was designed in a vacuum without even considering how it would look on the game. And by giving the minor villains the same stature as the main four it will make it even more noticeable if they aren't added to the game in a big way.

Are there individual lights in the topper behind each villain so they could light up when they are active or have been defeated? Curious as to just how "interactive" the topper will be (not that the LE/SLE topper does that much, though Lyman should at least make it active in Bat Turn mode).

#3125 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Great thanks, it is what kept coming up online but wanted to double check, seems to be no difference between the 2008 and 2015 releases other than different packaging, although the 2015 bat boat seems more metallic.
Has anyone tried putting a better model of the Batmobile on the spinner yet?

Any other scale there will be too long and too heavy.

#3140 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I modded my premium with a Bat signal topper I got custom made for $85. It is powered such that it says on whenever the game is on, but would be about as easy to make it on whenever the play field bat signal is on:

I got one of those too, but was extremely disappointed at how poorly the light throws. It is a single LED that barely gives off any light even in very dark conditions. It looks very nice, but fails as a functional batsignal. Maybe it's because I got the larger one, but it is absolutely not a substitute for the projector in the Stern batsignal.

#3147 6 years ago
Quoted from Bamatami:

I spoke with a pinball seller/repairer with quite a few years of experience. He says there will definitely be a "pro" model somewhere down the line. I just wanted other opinions. Yes, it means more $$ for Kapow, but if demand is high, they both will be making a lot of $$.

Sorry, Stern is not going to design another model for BM66. Any further production will be Premiums (which, as been pointed out, are really Pros). The Premiums don't seem to be selling well now and that's probably not going to change until potential buyers have a better idea of what's going to happen with the code.

Let's hope Stern realizes and understands the link between code and potential sales. If not (or they don't think the two are related), that doesn't bode well for the future of BM66.

1 week later
#3260 6 years ago

Totally agree! I added some of the soundtrack and it makes the game experience even more fun.

Where did you put it?

#3281 6 years ago

Ok so I made a new trans-light for my BM66 LE#66.
Numerous reasons:
1. I was was pretty bummed I didn't get a gadget. So I added it. (bottom left corner)
2. The original LE trans-light was too busy and Batman/ Robins crotch front in center wasn't their best moment.
3. Batgirl and Catwomen front and center is more appealing, visually. (like the Tron girls)
Anyway, if you would like a custom translight and have your gadget added, send me a PM. Donations welcomed.
And if you if don't know your gadget, make one up> Batshit Detector # , Bat-Alternate-Translight #, etc.

How about one with the proper Batgirl (Yvonne) and Catwoman (Julie)?

#3286 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Kapow boutique release vs Stern cornerstone release.

Big cash grab vs. bigger cash grab

#3311 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I feel like Stern doesnt understand that they are alienating a large portion of their repeat customers with the way they market their new products and support their older products.
Most of it is my fault for buying it based on what was shown initially but it was a dream theme for me and I jumped on the hype train because I didnt want to miss out on an LE.

The real problem is that Stern does understand - they just don't seem to care. For every potential buyer that gives up because they feel burned Stern thinks there is another replacement buyer.

I bought an LE for exactly the same reasons - and banked heavily on Lyman. I'm not sure I would have risked it without Lyman on the project. And, with Batman 66, it was an LE or nothing for me.

My next "must have" is Elvira 3 - also rumored to be a Lyman game - but after BM66 (and the various quality issues on other titles) I may not be a day 1 buyer and may forgo an LE to see what the state of Elvira is until about a year after the release. Or maybe I forgo Elvira entirely and get Dialed In or a future JJP title.

Space is at a premium for me and I can't afford to gamble on what Stern is becoming - a company that cares more about quantity than quality and that seems to have little regard for what it takes to want customers to become repeat customers.

#3326 6 years ago

I have been playing Batman far less than I might otherwise be because of the code level. I'm pretty sure I've seen everything there is to see in .75 and I'm far from a great player.

Are others doing the same? Is your game mostly sitting waiting for new code? Or are you playing as much as you expected to, code level notwithstanding?

#3330 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Mine has been sitting since 0.75 came out since my node board stopped working with that update. Once the replacement is here it'll be like new code for me since I couldnt run the 0.75 yet.

That's a double whammy

Let's hope you get some new code to test out the new board.

#3346 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll never doubt Lyman. Just a matter of time
A bit frustrating though

No one doubts Lyman.

But no one trusts Stern.

#3351 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The way I see it, the longer the wait, the bigger the update.
I'd rather Lyman stay focused on coding the game instead of trying to get constant updates out.

Absolutely agree.

Quoted from frolic:

As long as he's working on it, I can live with it.
I do wonder what kind of QA period is needed before every pinball software update.

Logic says that more frequent updates while working to 1.0 level code would take longer because of time needed for system test/regression test/QA so, until then, I'd rather see bigger updates.

But throw us a bone Stern - send us a Commissioner Gordon email and give us an idea of what to expect and when to expect it - here are the changed you are likely to see soon, new features/modes, etc.. Yes, I know they don't do this for games, but Batman is a special case.

Stern told us up front the game was pushed forward and that the release code was going to be bare bones and essentially asked us to trust them. I think it's reasonable they trust us in return to handle an update on code status before we actually see a release. I don't mind waiting, but would sure like to know what I'm waiting for.

#3356 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

He will eventually knock BM66 out of the park and it will be a masterpiece before it's all said and done. The skeleton for amazing code is already there.

You would think so, given he signed the playfield.

#3360 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I have no doubt Lyman will get some amazing code in there but I think another aspect that will really make it shine is the variety of video clips and custom call outs ...

Batman66 had Adam West and Burt Ward as well as a great sound alike of the TV narrator during hundreds of custom callouts (plus there are thousands of audio and video clips from the show itself) ....

The 0.75 code has 4570 sound clips and 2124 video clips. .. . It will be interesting to see how Lyman integrates those with the Adam and Burt Stuff.

My biggest concern is that many of those incredible custom callouts won't ever get implemented. Just looking at the shear volume of material makes you realize just home time consuming it will be to integrate them. It's reported Lyman likes to do that stuff last, but having done code myself I understand that fit and finish sometimes takes almost as much time as base function and Stern may simply not allow him the luxury of being able to do so.

#3363 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I believe that's why Lyman has on more than one occasion finished a title off in his own time

This is true. The problem is that it's not only unfair to him for us to assume this, but for Stern to expect or anticipate this.

As for Premium sales, I have heard from more than a few people who were going to buy Batman but are holding off to see what happens with the code. Classic Catch-22. There are multiple distributors that have told Stern "No thanks" when asked to take more Premiums. And (it seems) almost entirely code driven - Stern isn't going to sell what they could (or expected) with the current code level. So it wouldn't surprise me if some bean counter says "Batman's a dud" - don't devote any more resource to Batman code - completely ignoring that it was Stern that created the situation in the first place.

I would like to think that those who could not only afford the premium pricing for the LE/SLEs, but took a gamble after the Expo code announcement are exactly the customers Stern can't afford to alienate. Bu maybe that's just wishful thinking.

#3372 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I also got the Hallmark Batcopter that just came out. I had the Eaglemoss copter and the Hot Wheels copter but I like the fact that the Hallmark copter had little Batman and Robin figures in it. I took a few pics of the three side by side in case others wanted to see the size differences. The Eaglmoss is the biggest and most detailed. The Hot Wheels one is the smallest and least detailed. The hallmark falls in the middle size wise and detail wise.
I mounted it using some 0.041" lock wire from harbor freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-inch-stainless-steel-lock-wire-1-lb-coil-8895.html
The Hallmark copter already has a screw on the bottom so you just cut a length of wire, make a loop on one end to go around the copter screw and a loop on the other end to go around the screw that holds the left ramp to the left plastic.

That's a hard choice. Seems the Eaglemoss copter would look better in the game, though it certainly makes more sense to have the figures in the cockpit.

#3384 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I've always ben positive about BM66....it's too good of a theme to be half-baked, and Lyman won't let that happen.

Nice dodge of the question ...

#3416 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I know....a slacker, I've been.....the world will be right this weekend!!!

Only if you have your new ramp, PDI glass and release level code ...

#3474 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well...no new code and no new ramp yet...but PDI rocks on this machine ( glass on in these pics)!!!...really like the purple underglow, and shiney batmobile ( kind of liked the blue windshield, so left it), a good BM66LE night....

What are you using for the purple under glow ?

#3480 6 years ago

Custom hinges and Batsignal installed along with some Mezel mods. The kicker and VUK lighting mod is terrific.

Not sure what I'm going to be able to do with the Batsignal once the machine is back in place. There may not be enough clearance to get to the ceiling with the soffit in the way.

IMG_2432 (resized).JPGIMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2433 (resized).JPGIMG_2433 (resized).JPG
IMG_2438 (resized).JPGIMG_2438 (resized).JPG
IMG_2441 (resized).JPGIMG_2441 (resized).JPG
IMG_2445 (resized).JPGIMG_2445 (resized).JPG
IMG_2454 (resized).JPGIMG_2454 (resized).JPG

IMG_2456 (resized).JPGIMG_2456 (resized).JPG

#3484 6 years ago

Note to self..."Remove soffit".

Yeah. I really liked the design and totally forgot about the pinball machines when I did it. Most of my toppers barely fit. Unfortunately there are air ducts on one side so I really didn't have a choice.

#3485 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

love that space themed games room, very nice!

Thanks. Stern featured my game room on their Facebook page a while back. It's my Star Trek Holodeck.

The set pieces are from Star Trek: Enterprise. Karl Urban autographed his pic next to my ST:LE "Damn it Jim - Just play pinball and talked to me for about 10 minutes about my collection and pinball in general with about 100 people in line wondering what the hell we were talking about.

IMG_9792 (resized).JPGIMG_9792 (resized).JPG

IMG_9808 (resized).JPGIMG_9808 (resized).JPG

IMG_9853 (resized).JPGIMG_9853 (resized).JPG

IMG_9856 (resized).JPGIMG_9856 (resized).JPG

IMG_6082 (resized).JPGIMG_6082 (resized).JPG

IMG_5760 (resized).PNGIMG_5760 (resized).PNG

IMG_6813 (resized).JPGIMG_6813 (resized).JPG

IMG_9797 (resized).JPGIMG_9797 (resized).JPG

#3495 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

never been in a pinside pinball club where there is so little to discuss. Stickers, plunger spring color, PSU, etc...
The thread is on fire about so little.

We are in the "calm before the storm" period.

The next code update seems it will be a big one and will certainly generate discussion. When Lyman eventually completes the game he signed we will start to see the bitching and moaning rants of frustrated Pinsiders who wanted or sold LEs but gave up on the game prematurely along with a spike in demand for NIB Premiums. Maybe the game will never meet Stern's original sales projections, but it will end up being a somewhat rare game (certainly as LEs go) which may help offset the initial sticker shock down the road.

I may be in the minority of Batman 66 owners, but I'm not worried. There are very few "dream themes" for me. This is one. It is a beautiful, fun game. For a fan of the series, this game has so much potential. I hope Lyman gets to do what we know he can and that we see many more of the incredible audio and video assets implemented going forward. But even if Stern lets us down (which, sadly, I believe is more likely than not), BM66 is still good enough for me to remain in my collection indefinitely (though if they do it's my last NIB Stern).

There are some folks working on some great mods and those will certainly generate discussion here (MK6PIN's replacement ramp should be flat out AWESOME). Stay tuned Batfans! This forum will never have the traffic of a Star Wars forum, but so what. I feel bad for them anyway -- on theme integration alone we got the better game

#3501 6 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

I was sad to see that Stern's room at San Diego Comic-Con was filled only filled with Star Wars machines. Surely, Batman 66 would have resonated with this crowd. Alas, no dice...

Absolutely, especially given the tribute to Adam West.

But there doesn't seem to be anyone at Stern than understands (or cares about) marketing to (potential) home users, so it doesn't cone as a surprise at all.

#3522 6 years ago
Quoted from Bamatami:

Do you really think it is worth it? I'm guessing yes! I finally got my LE today and I love that "new" pinball smell! I'm looking forward to doing some of the mods we talked about!

I also have PDI glass on my Batman and would highly recommend it. You paid big bucks for Batman, what's a few hundred more?

A remarkable improvement over the standard Stern glass.

I have Invisiglass on most of my other pins and PDI is slightly better in my environment.

#3528 6 years ago

Can anyone with a Batsignal topper addition tell me if there is an option to disable it when hooked up? I haven't been able to find it.

I'd like to disable mine in software until I can relocate the game to be able to properly project it on the wall or ceiling.

#3530 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Its easy to remove!!

For me, not without help.

I'm short and need a step stool, which I can no longer safely use, to do so.

#3540 6 years ago

Unfortunately there is nothing written into the code (yet) regarding the Batsignal. It would be nice to have some options to change its behavior.

What other behaviors would you like to see?

1). Disable
2). Cycle every x minutes during attract mode
3) Sync with playfield Batsignal
4) ??

#3544 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I want to see several alternative paths, such as maybe focusing on a series of minor villains in association with maybe one major villain, for variety (could be tied to seasons somehow). I don't know how that could be implemented, but I think some alternative pathways like that will be necessary for BM66 to become a great game. The lack of inserts suggesting those opportunities is worrisome though.

Inserts might be nice, but you have 2 video screens that could be used to compensate for the lack of them.

#3553 6 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

One of the guys on Aussie Arcade asked (nicely) about when new code and got this reply.
/start of email
Hello,
I received your email asking about the status of Batman code. As we attempted to do releases every 2 weeks it became clear to us that the types of features that could be released every 2 weeks would be minor and the complaint would then be about the lack of significant* impact of those features. This means that the work required to complete bigger features requires more development and testing time than a 2 week duration will allow.
In addition it is not uncommon to discover bugs related to the new code or how it interacts with the existing code during testing, which in turn regresses the release for fixing and re-testing.
Lyman and I are personally committed to delivering a product worthy of the legacy of games that we have created thru the years. To this end he is working on the game full time and will remain so until the game is done to our satisfaction. This particular game requires significant effort due to the breadth of material available in the Batman 66 theme. We have every intention of delivering on the promise of a great game.
We are very close to doing the next releases which contains many of the features that the community has been asking for including substantially more video, speech, sounds and more evolved rules and play events.
Thank you for your patience.
GG
/end of email
So they are on to it and it will get done. I personally prefer them to do it right rather than do it quickly.

Great note and what most of us hoped and expected.

It would be nice if Stern send that email out to all registered owners via the Commissioner Gordon email, but it's great that we have a written confirmation of ecpections.

#3555 6 years ago

One other thing - it's pretty clear to me from reading George's email that although the next release will be significant, it won't be "1.0" and that there will be more to come after the next release.

I am very encouraged that they seem committed to using a good portion of the audio/video assets in the game. That would be good for the first Spike 2/LCD game, but it also (easily) shows the increases in resources required over doing a DMD game.

#3562 6 years ago

That's what is great about this club - plenty of people to help keep the faith if someone else has a little less energy to do so!

#3569 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I haven't had my Batman for several months now and I've kind of been out of the loop on this but did they finally get all the minor villains in there?

No.

#3571 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess they should be added soon then? I know a place to play one but won't go there until that stuffs added for sure. I couldn't even play mine the last few weeks I had it.

The last stuff added were Bat Turn mode in .71 and the reworking of Joker and Riddler modes in .75 (current) release that includes changes to include the To the Batpoles, Batcave, Gordon and Atomic Pile shots.

The expectation is that minor villains and season modes are big additions and the expectation is that we'll see at least one in the upcoming release (where I would expect the same mode extensions to Catwoman/Penguin as Joker/Riddler in .75)

#3576 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Unlikely. The Gomez email was to buy more time, probably at least 2 weeks from that letter, so likely 8/3-8/8.
Also, it's interesting that the letter says, "We are very close to doing the next releases which contains many of the features that the community has been asking for..."
That sentence was clearly edited and then not proofed. He probably initially said "the next release which contains" then decided that he was promising too much for one release (with Lyman on it only part time), so he changed it to "next releases" without editing "contains" making the sentence read "the next releases which contains" which no one would write in one pass since it's an obvious error.

Either "releases" or "contains" could be the word either the extra "s". The meaning of the sentence changes based on which way you go. You picked the most ominous interpretation and totally discounted the possibility that there was simply a typo, which occasionally happens to those of us not as omnipotent as you.

Just give it a rest.

#3579 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That e-mail does sound more or less like a continuation of this thread-
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases

Hadn't seen that one before - thanks!

IMG_1296 (resized).JPGIMG_1296 (resized).JPG

#3588 6 years ago

Version numbering is irrelevant.

It's reasonable to assume that version 1.00 assumes "this is what I wanted to achieve when the plan for the game was put together". Anything above or below that is arbitrary.

I don't care what the numbering in if the game is done and relatively bug free.

#3659 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Isn't Lyman on Elvira 3?

Yes.

#3664 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Lyman has already jumped (or, technically, been re-assigned).

Absolutely not true.

What is it with you? Why do you just make sh*t up?

#3668 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Excuse me here but Steve Ritchy at CAX on Sat.said just that!! Sheets has 3 other pins they are working on,and we have to wait!!

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood him. The "other pins" refer to Lyman's work on Spike 2 platform issues (AS, BM, SW).

(And it's Ritchie, not Ritchy)

#3673 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

NO ,Sir,I asked him about code myself!!! What row were YOU in when he spoke????

I think he was messing with you then. I've heard from multiple people (who I have no reason to doubt) that Lyman is still fully engaged on Batman. Your original comment makes it sound like there's nothing coming and that is absolutely not true.

Comments like yours and vireland's uninformed bashings put Stern in a "damned if they do and damned if they don't" position. The Gomez "every two weeks comment" was well intentioned - George thought if they could show steady progress it would calm down those that thought the code would remain in a very unfinished state. The problem with making that statement was perhaps he didn't understand the difficult spot that put Lyman in. Any good programmer can tell you that adding/testing/regression testing code in incremental steps is far harder and more time consuming than fleshing out the features at once.

The .75 code is a perfect example. Lyman extended the Joker and Riddler modes to be closer to what he intended but the Penguin and Catwoman modes were unchanged. Why? The artificial time constraint of an interim release didn't allow him to finish. That must have absolutely killed him to release code he knew we know wasn't complete (as the J & R mode changes made obvious).

Now we're in a pickle. Stern clearly is aware of all the bitching and nay-saying. What do they do? If they put out another release now that has incomplete modes like in .75, people will bitch more. Maybe that makes them think it's better to put more in the next release even if it takes longer to get out. And of course if that version doesn't have all the expected video and callouts (which I presume are very time consuming to do), people are STILL going to bitch that Lyman had been pulled from the project (likely without any proof to back it up).

Yes, Stern's past actions put them in this mess. Maybe management didn't realize that to support/exploit the new LCD screens was going to take an order of magnitude more of code. Yes, Stern could have been more forthcoming. But the recent Gomez email has to be taken at face value. We still have no reason to doubt that Lyman will be able to deliver his vision of the game. If that doesn't happen until the end of the year as some have mentioned, fine. If George wants to have any credibility with those buying Stern pins, he has to ensure that the original promise that Batman will become a showcase game is kept.

I'm sure that someone at Stern realizes how disastrous it would be to the future bottom line if they don't allow Lyman to make Batman what was promised. Not only will the gravy train of an LE/SLE structure go poof (unless code is completed at release), but future buyers of ANY title will be justified in keeping their wallets closed until code on a new title is complete because the one time Stern said - "trust us, the early code will get finished properly" will have turned out to be a sleezy lie worthy of only an unscrupulous used car salesman.

For me, if Lyman isn't allowed to finish Batman, I'm certainly not going to risk buying Elvira 3. The only reason I was willing to gamble on Batman early was that Lyman was coding it. If that turns out to be a mistake, it's one I won't make again. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

#3684 6 years ago
Quoted from Bamatami:

I know from a really reliable source that Lyman is working on a new game. This is not to say he is NOT working on BM66, but I do know he is working on a brand new game that will make everyone excited! That is all I can say or I will be killed and I'd like to enjoy my new LE....

A new game other than Elvira 3?

If it's Elvira 3, its old news. If not E3 and not Spike 2 platform work, then that's interesting news.

#3685 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

if another game is released by Stern with Lyman doing the coding without significant progress on BM66, I predict it'll be the beginning of the end for Stern. Hell hath no fury like what will rain down on them in a PR disaster if that happens. Too many big spender, nearly automatic LE buyers like myself bit on the over priced BM66 amid promises of catching the code up quickly, and nothing would guarantee the catastrophic loss of our customer base than releasing a new Lyman coded game before BM66 is "significantly" further along. Surely, Stern knows that and the fact that it would be goodbye to any future hope of SLE sales.

Yup. Echos a main point I made above.

Let's hope:
1) Stern doesn't screw us on Batman code
2) if they do, there are enough future lost sales that can be quantified to show Stern we're serious about complete code.

#3696 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My prediction is that after the next code drop, sales of the premium will pick up big time.

I would like to think this is true but I know there are a number of distributors that have refused Stern's request to take more Premiums because of the code situation.

It's pretty clear that most who have the LEs/SLEs are in this for the long haul, but is it already too late to jump start Premium sales? AS, SW are out and the next game is likely to be announced before the end of the year so Batman will be "4 games old" before Batman comes off of the "we can't sell this game because of the Alpha code situation list".

How does Stern win back potential buyers who might take another look when the game is finished?
Can they?

#3704 6 years ago

I don't see Stern dropping the price or trying to remove/change things to create a Pro model. Distributors may discount existing Premium stock to move them, but there isn't a lot of inventory to move. Distributors will have to order more for Stern to produce more and distributors aren't going to do that until they start getting requests. I'm just not sure where those requests are going to come from unless Stern mounts an active marketing campaign ("Holy Bat-Code pinball fans! The game is complete! Good things come to those who wait, Robin!") and I don't see them doing that.

Without a sales boost Stern bean counters will be back to "see? code doesn't really matter" and that bothers me.

#3705 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Anyone notice the alternative BM66 art blades at marco:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-7029-00

It has a Stern part number but says its out of stock. I also didn't see it on the Stern store website. These blades features Batgirl and Catwoman along with Batman and Robin. Its a little more dynamic than the one with just the words on it that Stern put on the LE's/SLE's and sell at the stern store. Still not any new art though, just re-using some stuff that is already on the game.
The best choice for art blades would be the ones made by BM66 artist Chris Franchi that Stern decided not to use. It features a full collage of all the 120 Bat-Gadget drawings he did for the LE gadget plaques. I can't understand why Stern decided not to sell them. Its new art that's otherwise not on the game made by the artist to fit in with the rest of his art package. The 60's retro tech asthetic looks great and compliments the theme of the game so well. Chris had a single set made for his personal BM66 machine and thats it.
https://www.facebook.com/169657579716029/videos/pcb.1831238746891229/1831235820224855/?type=3&theater

Maybe if enough of us asked Stern they might think about making it available at the Stern store?

Were the blades pictured at Marco's site actually produced? Too much of a rehash of existing art for me. If there were more originality, I'd be interested. The gadget blades would seem a better option.

#3707 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This was always a "boutique" run. Was there ever expectation that it was going to sell Ghostbusters level? It sold at a higher price across less units, that was where their profit lies and it made money.

True, but Premium sales were disappointing (because of the code situation?) and they still have the license for 2+ more years - certainly they want to sell more Premiums.

#3712 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Excellent point.
They will have to lower the premium pricing to be competitive with other premiums if they want to sell big numbers.

If they keep raising the MSRP every game, pretty soon the Batman Premium pricing is going to seem like a bargain ...

#3713 6 years ago
#3765 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I forgot about Batgirl - best part of owning the LE .

How could you forget about Batgirl??

This game won't be finished without a Batgirl mode !!

#3777 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

When I looked at the sound/video clips in the 0.75 code via pinball browser there was very little Batgirl in there so I'm not sure if they are planning some kind of Batgirl mode or not. Plus there is no insert for a dedicated Batgirl mode so if there is one it would probably be something small.

No need for a dedicated Batgirl insert - just have any Batgirl stuff in whatever is in the Season 3 mode.

#3798 6 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

If I was still pumping out Refinery games, this would have been a fun one to trick out...

What would you have done?

#3877 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm one of the only ones calling out the truth, just most people didn't seem ready to hear it.

No, you're just banging the same old tired drum and still not taking responsibility for your own actions when you ignored that the game shipped with alpha code.

For a self-proclaimed programming expert you continue to show a complete lack of understanding of the process. Screaming "go faster" helps no one. There is only one Lyman writing code and only so many hours in a day.

I want the code finished to Lyman's vision. I don't want him rushed or pressured to meet an artificial time table. That never ends well - a project may be done, but it's a hollow victory if it's not really finished.

Stern won't get away with anything - if they don't complete Batman as promised, not only will Stern has lost the good will of Batman 66 customers but anyone considering buying a NIB Stern game in the future.

#3888 6 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

8k approx sitting dormant for 8 months

It's comments like this I don't get. The game is still fun with the .75 code. Have you really not played the game all year?

#3895 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

But I have to admit that it's feeling past due for a code drop.

Rumor has it that there was a code drop planned for a few weeks ago that was scrapped because, although it was a significant update, Stern was still going to get crap for releasing what was clearly going to be another interim release. Rather than spend resources on testing, Stern decided to have Lyman continue on the code, scrapping the planned drop.

As I wrote some time back the whiners have put Stern in a no win situation. IMO scrapping interim releases until we are very close to a release version is the smart move. But this means we have to wait longer between updates.

I expect 3 more significant releases (two by the end of the year)

1) 1.0 release code
2) polish release adding A/V assets/callouts
3) bug fix for 1 & 2

And hopefully some extra stuff after that if Lyman isn't happy with those 3.

#3899 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

And another thing,Vireland is just trying to be practical!All your negativity toward another Pinsider is what is plaguing this site!

I agreed with you until I got here.

Except for his Batman code obsession, vireland is a valued contributor. But his constant negativity on the code state is nothing more than to try and get people to "agree with him because he was right all along".

His Stern bashing started after he recommended to an operator friend to get Batman early on after missing the announcement at Expo that almost every other early purchaser of Batman understood - that because Batman was released very early to make the anniversary year, the game was going to be barely flippable at release. Instead of being on route earning money, the game is apparently at vireland's house waiting for code. I'm sure that doesn't make his operator friend (who presumably paid for the game) happy.

Vireland isn't being practical at all. If he were, he would have denounced Gomez's initial comments about "code every two weeks" as being rediciously impractical (as most who actually understand code development will tell you) rather than bitch constantly that the two week intervals were missed.

#3905 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Christopher Franchi said he hopes his next game might debut at Expo. My gut (with no inside info) is that this could be the Elvira game, which would be another boutique release.
The only way another boutique run will sell is if the Batman code is seen as mostly complete by then. The pool of buyers for these games is pretty small.

Franchi better not be doing the art for Elvira 3. That game needs to be all Dennis, Greg and Cassandra.

Not sure Elvira will actually be a boutique (or boo-tique) release, but I certainly agree that the success of boutique game that ships without complete code is heavily dependent on what happens with the Batman code. I'm certainly in that boat - Stern can only lose me as an Elvira 3 purchaser. Unless they screw it up (which includes not finishing Batman code as Lyman envisions it and making Batman a true showcase release), I'm in.

#3906 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, sure. Don't blame Gomez and Stern for shipping a woefully unfinished game and repeatedly making commitments they didn't keep and literally lying to the owners with things like "Lyman is on Batman full time" long after it was clear he was splitting his time with other projects. Blame the customers. Somehow twist it into Gomez was butt-hurt because *I* was calling him out on his BS. Yeah, that's good. And that doesn't hold water because I didn't really start complaining until many, MANY "Gomez Drops" had been missed. So what's the excuse for those missed commitments? Regardless of what that is, we're over 8 months since the game was released and nowhere near a shippable 1.00 version with even MOST of the stuff coded, not all. That has never happened in Modern Stern history, but it's my fault.
Give me a break.

You just don't get it. It's not your fault that Stern shipped an unfinished game, but it is your fault you didn't understand that. There were not repeated commitments that were missed, except those in your mind. Your claims of Stern lying to customers is simply BS - the "other project" is Spike 2, which is integral to the success of Batman. Lyman has been involved in discussions on Elvira, but he is (and has been) working on Batman and Spike 2. Period. (This is also another reason I don't expect to see the Franchi/Expo announcement to be Elvira 3).

Stop whining, man up and admit that the only reason for your childish crusade is that you screwed up by making an uninformed decision.

#3909 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I don't blame them a bit for selling an unfinished game......they can't sell a thing without a buyer, and we all bit! If anyone is to blame, it is all of us here....

Can't agree with this. Stern did something unprecedented with Batman - they released a game to meet an artificial calendar deadline with (apparently) no other reason after it was clear to they weren't going to meet the original schedule (perhaps because they underestimated what was going to be required for Spike 2 or to exploit the LCD screen?).

Yes, there were buyers who bit but most because (a) they really wanted an LE or SLE (which, unlike most Stern LEs, were actually limited) and (b) were willing to gamble that Lyman would eventually do the game code justice or (c) didn't want to forfeit deposits.

The only benefit to releasing Batman before the game was finished was to allow Adam West to see the game before he died (though Stern certainly couldn't have know that). Any other reason Stern used to justify the early release decision shows that they take their customer base for granted.

The decision to release a Batman early was short-sighted (and IMO, stupid). The Gomez "two weeks comment" was an ill-advised attempt at damage control, but what they have done since with Batman is reasonable and we should not pass further judgement until Stern considers the game complete.

I'm confident Stern (and distributors) understand how this has impacted Batman 66 Premium sales (and potentially sales of future titles with early code). If they don't change because of that, shame on them. If we give them a pass on another title (waves to SW buyers), shame on us.

#3912 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

If you really think they care a whole lot about the sales of this boutique game, then you are going to be disappointed. They have a bunch of other games they can put in it's place, and they have a pretty good backlog of orders at the moment, so I don't think they are losing any sleep over BM66 sales.
But aside from that, I never said it was a good business decision, or that it wasn't a just a cash grab. We all know that is was nothing more than stern throwing a bright and shiny object out there and watching everyone fight for it. You know they were laughing their asses off at the way people were acting, they had to be. People were sending in videos for Christ's sake, trying to show how they were a worthy soul to be able to pay $15K for a game that barely worked. They played us all like chumps, and as I said, we all bit. When I say I don't blame them....I really don't. In a free market, I can put anything I want up for sale, so long as it is legal. Market determines whether I made a good decision or not. Most of us (you included) have admitted we bought the games knowing full well there was no meaningful code. You can argue that we were promised code sometime soon, etc, etc....but just because someone promises you something, does not necessarily mean it will happen. There is a risk involved in any transaction. So we all bought this box of lights with a lazy susan on the playfield, and took the chance Stern would deliver us some good code. Had we been lied to about the status of the code, it would be a different story, and I would place the blame on them....but they told us from the start they had almost no code completed. Now I know for a fact the code is coming, and despite what some would like you to believe, I know for a fact that Lyman is hard at work on this and it is his #1 priority right now. Do I think he is chained to his desk....probably not. So the big complaint here is that the code has not come fast enough...that is all. We are not complaining about the build quality, we are not complaining about electrical shorts, .....we are talking about the frequency of code drops. Again, we are all adults...lots of things could have happened here, and we took the risk. Stern could go out of business before the code was finished, Lyman could leave the company, Gomez might decide he doesn't like anyone from California, etc.....my point is that any number of things could have happened and we would be sitting with a box that had no code and never would. WE TOOK THE RISK........so I do not blame anyone at Stern......I BLAME US. Why do you think Stern keeps raising the game prices at every release? Because people are lining up to shell out the cash.......again I BLAME US. If we stop paying, then they will lower the price. Yes, they played us like fiddles.....I will freely admit that. But they never held a gun to our heads..........

I think for the most part we are in violent agreement.

And, no, I don't really care about the potential lost sales of BM66 (other than the extent to whoch sales levels will impact code or game support). If Stern is so cocky that maximizing sales of any given title isn't important to them, there is nothing any of us can do about it. If Stern considers me a sucker for buying BM66 (and that turns out to be right), it's the last Stern game I'll ever buy.

#3947 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If Stern have any marketing sense

Funniest thing I've read on Pinside in a long time.

Stern has shown time and again that "marketing" is a foreign concept. We can only hope that Zach has a clue.

#3960 6 years ago

Holy off-topic discussion Batman!!

#3979 6 years ago

The SW code update is nothing to brag about.

Agree that not using the Commission Gordon email is just a massive marketing whiff. How Stern thinks they benefit by being so tone deaf is beyond my comprehension.

#3980 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They need some F ing programming help if they keep pumping out titles

There are additional programming resources added/being added. But that doesn't help Batman as Lyman prefers to work alone (though I think others work on graphics).

#3995 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Did exactly the same with my distributor about a 6 weeks ago. He called Gary who assured him 2 weeks for the next drop (I know, sounds like a 2 week joke) and game finished by end of year.
So, the first goal has been well and truly missed. Let's hope the end of year one works out.

Actually, that sounds right. Given that timeline that's about when a new code drop was in testing but before Stern decided to skip it and have Lyman just keep going, so what Gary said was probably true when he said it.

#4017 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Is it a NIB or a previoulsy enjoyed one.
I wonder if Stern actually sold all 80 of the SLE's?
Didnt Stern have some kind of clause about buyers not being allowed to sell them for 2 years. That was a bit of a joke and I dont see how they would even be allowed to enforce it.

They sold all 80. The "can't resell" condition was quietly dropped. There is at least one NIB for sale in Colorado (or at least as of a couple months ago) that was available at $20k OBRO. If I could get an SLE, I wouldn't. I think the LE is the best package of the three. And, once the code is finished, the Premium is going to seem like a bargain, especially when compared to Star Wars ...

#4021 6 years ago

THIS! Any help on this would be great. Its gets a little annoying at times.

Check BDK manual.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/batman/batman/439/Batman_TDK_Manual.pdf

#4027 6 years ago

Don't understand complaints about the music - fits perfectly. One of the first things I noticed.

I've only upgraded the speakers on a few of my games, but swapping out the stock speakers for a Flipper Fidelity set made a huge difference (in addition to the general sound improvement in Spike 2).

#4029 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The current music isnt bad but I would still prefer the actual Nelson Riddle music from the series and 66 movie. He had some great themes for each of the villians.
Once the code is done I plan on using pinball browser to add some of the origianl music to the game.

Agree, especially the movie music.

And I hope Lyman will put some video in a place where a clip from the movie's "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" would fit in nicely.

#4037 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

That wont happen, pretty sure Gomez confirmed that Stern don't have the rights to any of the movie assets. As long as he puts something in the game that's almost placeholder though (there is an animation of the bomb scene for extra ball I think?) then we can swap it out with pinball browser which is fine by me! I would also love a place holder mode/scene where we could put the exploding shark/shark repellent scene into the game

Yes, exactly what I meant.

#4050 6 years ago

Guys - there are plenty of threads to talk about what games Stern might do. It's not even marginally related to Batman 66. Can we please try and keep the Batman club thread free of such way off topic discussion?

Batman would probably remind Robin that such discussion is out of place -

"A Stern reminder Robin - It it is imperative we keep our thoughts pure and focus on protecting the good citizens Gotham City from distracting banter designed to clutter their minds."

"Holy Yellow Submarine Batman! I can't believe I was so inconsiderate !!"

"That's quite all right old chum - acknowledging you were inconsiderate shows how considerate you are!"

#4071 6 years ago

Your pics/stories are welcome and relevant to the thread - it's Batman 66 !

One of these days I'd like a Batmobile to go with my pinball machine ...

(And thanks for getting Burt to sign cards for some of us - they will be a cool addition to our games!)

#4104 6 years ago

Not confusing - irrelevant.

#4122 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

cant say anything as I was asked not to

If anyone in the know told you not to say anything, that is BS.

Stern owes all Batman 66 owners an update, not just a select few. I'm patient to a fault and expect Lyman to make the game great, but what purpose does it serve to dribble out information to a select few?

#4124 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Because I pushed and asked can we expect something and to be blunt asked not to say any of the details which I won't.

I'm not criticizing you for keeping your word not to say anything. I'm criticizing whoever asked you not to.

#4140 6 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Seriously, what could they say that any of us would believe? I have zero faith in any further verbal updates, promises, etc. Until the code shows up, everything else is an empty promise.

Well, they could give us
1) the readme of the code level that was in test or
2) the running readme of what Lyman currently has in the code
3) some general release target (a couple weeks, months, whatever)
4) roadmap of what needs to in the code before they consider it done
5) an apology for underestimating the resources it was going to take to deliver code fitting for a flagship anniversary release
6) an acknowledgment that expectations for code have changed
7) a general idea of how they are going to meet (or temper) those expectations.

This is not just a Batman code problem - see all the complaints about SW code - but a Stern problem. They have shown they pretty much have no commitment to any game that isn't actively on the line. That has been a workable approach for years, but, with many realizing the emperor has fewer and fewer clothes, that may be coming to an end sooner than Stern thinks.

How many non-operators are going to continue to buy games if they have to worry that code may never be finished, cabinets may not stay together, playfield clear and ghosting issues may be permanent issues, game specific node boards may not be supported in a few years? As a buyer, all of those things get harder to swallow as costs go up while games get cheapened and designs get sparser.

Lack of communication is what will eventually doom Stern. Some good faith non-marketing BS information on Batman would go a long way to showing Stern's end point consumers that they (a) understand that and (b) care enough to change.

#4155 6 years ago

I hope any "complete" drop won't be the last. If any game needs to be truly finished, it needs to be Batman. You have to think that no matter what drops there will need to be bug fixes, clean up and polish.

As for better communication, Stern has to know that is an issue. Whether it has actually impacted sales is another story. (I do think it has impacted future sales, but that hasn't hit the bottom line yet).

Downsizing to a condo is a great idea. But even the smallest condo has room for at least one pinball machine.

(Congratulations on your promotion!)

#4157 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They just need to correct their handling of the customer base and managing expectations. Obviously how they've done things is an ongoing issue, so it would be wise to fix that sooner than later.

The problem is that Stern does not consider those that actually buy their games to play their customer base. The distributors are Stern's customers. Everyone else is treated as an annoying byproduct.

#4181 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

He'll send me the modified version back, I'll reinstall, test play it ALOT, take some notes, then send back.

Please post pics when you get it back. Even if it's a prototype, it'll be nice to see. And it will be terrific to have something positive to discuss. I'm not sure which I'm more excited for - the new code or the new ramp!

#4194 6 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

That's how I think also. Was it available in green. Since it is a question mark kinda shape

Can't find the picture right now, but someone did their left ramp in green.

#4196 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think Steve did it...just looked at the site, they are a part of cointaker now? Is Gio still a part?

I think you are correct. Steve does work for Cointaker now; Gio went back to work for a former employer.

#4207 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'd actually thought about purple sparkle on that one ( Penguin color) at some point....I'm still in withdrawal mode having my machine down, so one step at a time for me....

I think a Batgirl purple sparkle would look good on the right ramp.

#4212 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The more I look at it, the more that right ramp NEEDS to be purple sparkle. Guess I'll reach out to Matt and beg him to put more work on his plate on this....Machine us already apart anyway....

You are absolutely correct!!
If he can come up with a purple Batgirl sparkle (which you know is perfect for the LE), I'm on the list ...

Are you thinking this would be another improved replacement ramp or we just send him the originals to powder coat?

MK6PIN doing everything he can to make the LE as Bat-tastic as possible...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
11,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
985 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jfh. You are on page 1 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.