PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (7 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (7 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#536 7 years ago

I'm in the club finally!

IMG_2667 (resized).JPGIMG_2667 (resized).JPG

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

about time... what took ya

yeah no shit!!

#539 7 years ago

IMG_2672 (resized).JPGIMG_2672 (resized).JPG

#540 7 years ago

The topper will fit

IMG_2674 (resized).JPGIMG_2674 (resized).JPG

#548 7 years ago

Ready to fight crime!

IMG_2677 (resized).jpgIMG_2677 (resized).jpg

#549 7 years ago

We filmed a video as we learned what LE we had. Watch this video like watching a scratch off lottery video

#582 7 years ago

I added a spot light to mine on the right sling to light up the center.

IMG_2680 (resized).JPGIMG_2680 (resized).JPG

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yep...putting 2 or 4 on mine next week....all that color in the middle...begging to be lit!!!

If I had a second spare one, i'd definitely put one on the other sling.

#591 7 years ago

After 20 games, I can report I've not had any mechanical issues or any "tweaking" needed, other than adding the spotlight.

Software is very early, but I feel strongly that Lyman will pull this one through for us. The pieces are all there for something really special.

I owned BDK, and actually sold it to make room for BM66, and to me they are 2 different games. Just as any 2 fan layouts are different with different themeing and programing. Or a toy can get reused on different games. It feels like a Stern game, so it has that in common with all my other Sterns.

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

have you had yours long enough to do one of your cool reviews of it ( maybe it's up higher in the thread, but figured I'd ask before digging)?

Well, since I'm late to the party and other people have had them for a few weeks now I skipped my own thread and the usual photos/notes. I'll just chime in this thread. I'm liking my game so far, I like the theme, the music, that its different from my others.

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Been playing mine a lot today and so far just one issue and its driving me nuts. Ball couldnt get out of the crane scoop. After closer inspection I saw a screw in the bottom if the scoop. Ive combed over the entire playfield but cant figure out where the heck that screw came from.

I just found a screw under my batmobile. I finally figured out it was mounted UNDER the batmobile into the plastic. This is probably going to be a problem on everyone's machine, but easily fixed. I'm going to use some sort of permanent glue to keep the screw in.

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

If that's not it, check the right cat woman ramp. The left screw goes into a standoff. Mine fell out of the bottom of the standoff (under the ramp). I put a little blue loctite on the screw, held it from under the ramp and tightened the standoff.

ha, my left screw was ok, but the right side of the ramp was real loose. So basically a bunch of screws will need some glue attention.

#631 7 years ago

Just reassembled my car on the spinner. All I had was krazy glue but that should the job. Also refastened and glued the screws on the ramps by the cats.

#665 7 years ago

Had some people over tonight to give the game a whirl. It got non-stop play for about 4 hours. I'm happy to say since I refastened the screws on the batmobile and cat ramp there was no failures anywhere in the game. No pulling of the glass.

Software is super early, but I know Lyman will deliver a classic for us in time.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

How's the playfield looking? Any excessive dimpling other than the norm?

I'm going to say, as someone who has done the NIB thing many times.... it is no different than normal. Games get dimples.

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

If I like the machine, it's kind of fun going through the code process...like getting a new machine every time a version drops.

This is a big part of the fun of NIB for me. I only got 1 new game all of 2016, Ghostbusters, the game before that was GOT LE, and now I've got a Batman, but between all the code updates for ALL of my games (Hell, I even got my long awaited Avengers update last year!), there is always something new happening.

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

With loctite /glue on everything would that be an issuse down the road when you need to unscrew something to get to a certain part of the game? Like the turntable, etc? Or is E6000 a better choice?
BTW, we plan to unbox my #66 next Wed

I don't think there needs to be glue on "everything". For certain the batmobile screws need it, but that should be fine, as it rests on that plastic piece.

Possibly some other screws just need to be inspected and tightened.

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Try putting the leg levelers in the front all the way down and bost the back legs up try to pitch the game at 7.5 degrees and let me know if that calms the ramp down.

You can also try setting flipper power to soft to see if it makes a difference.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Frolic, when are you going to post your review of the game? Pros and cons and recommended fixes/enhancements for any negatives?

Posted this in another thread. I didn't create my own thread this go 'round because I wasn't first on the ground with it, but maybe in the future I'll give every game the same treatment.

Here are my impressions after having played the game a bunch of times and having some guests play it for the evening:

-It is impossible to fairly evaluate this game at this time. The software is sooooo early. I've never had software this early on any machine I've bought before. I am ok with this, the game will be fine in my collection as it evolves but I can see how people who play it on location or a few games somewhere are going to be left thinking "blah", because normally a game with software like this would only be seen inside the development office.

Having said that, I can offer the opinions on these things that will not be changing (much):

-I love the artwork and themeing of the machine. It looks awesome. I'm happy my LE features Batgirl.

-The style of music used in the game is a fun change from everything else I own.

-After I refastened the Batmobile screws, there has been no other tweaks needed.

-I sold a BDK and replaced it with this game and feel they play like 2 different games. I know some other people think otherwise, but that's my opinion. Just as 2 fan layout games can have the same shots but theme and programming makes them totally different or how toys can be reused.

So, the verdict for me is.... there is no verdict, but I am hopeful Lyman has all the pieces to make something really fun and special.

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think (no expert....VID where are you?) but i think the mylar only protects playfield from wear, won't stop the dimples.....

From my understanding, dimples come from the wood, and the clearcoat does not protect against it, so mylar wouldn't either.

So far, I believe we've only seen 1 playfield affected in this thread, so it could just be a one off problem.

#748 7 years ago

Fair enough, I can't defend what is going on, just trying to make sense of what is happening and the scope of it.

#750 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My TWD and GOT both have bad dimpling but I thought dimpling was normal according to most people here. It doesn't really bother me since you have to be in direct light to see it, but I'd rather it not be there. Only my 2 new Sterns have dimpling, my other pins are smooth.

I expect to see dimpling, so it's tough to say where the line is.

One thing that should NOT happen is clear coat chipping. That is a definite problem.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

What happens if stern decides to make physical design changes to the game for later runs. Are owners of the early games just out of luck or do they warranty those same changes on early games? Anybody have experience with a precedent on this?

There could be a service bulletin with a change or new part.

#760 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I imagine that's the minus of being an early adopter.

Back when I joined pinside, so over 4 years ago, I remember someone dispensing the advice that it's good to be the 2nd owner of a machine, and let someone else tweak it out.

Just about every game I've ever bought has needed tweaks. That is par for the course of being a nib buyer, and a Day 1 buyer at that.

Now I'm not speaking of watching the game disintegrate in front of your eyes, but I'm certain Stern will address that as well in time, even if their communication is piss poor.

#886 7 years ago

The game is either going to dimple in a normal way, or disintegrate in front of your eyes. If it disintegrates, I believe Stern when they say they'll swap it... when they are ready to do so (basically when they understand the problems fully). So play the hell out of it.

1 week later
#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

annoying to lose your two balls locked for MB.

It seems like an easy software fix for that would be to do a "level 1" ball search first (move the crane, turntable), then if nothing found do a "level 2" ball search and release/trigger everything including the locked balls.

#1330 7 years ago

Sorry to hear it, Ice. Hopefully you'll be up and running soon.

#1356 7 years ago

There's this line in the readme of .68:

- Incremental updates - speed up future code updates by only copying changed file(s)

so i suspect we won't get stuck downloading all 4gb anymore.

#1414 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Question here for you more experienced players: The 3 little tv sets down by the flippers,epsodes 1.2.3.,when do they light up??? My bulb test tells me they are ok,but they don't come on at all during game play!! Thoughts???

You hit those 3 standups, and it lights the minor villain tv mode on the left orbit.

#1418 7 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

I was in early on the LE and love the theme, artwork, LCD, ect...
But......
Is anyone else worried about this game??
I know the code is super early and am willing to be patient to a degree, but gameplay and flow seems kind of redundant and boring.
When I compare it to GBLE, the fun factor doesnt even seem close.
Anyone else feel the same??

GB shipped with basically near done code. It's been tweaked since, but the game today is pretty much the game when it shipped.

With BM we are seeing the sausage get made.

I'd be more worried if it was in anyone else's hands other than Lyman. I had already expected a 1 year journey based on his previous games. I wasn't expecting it to be so bare bones on shipment, but it is what is is at this point, but I'm confident he will deliver and I believe all the pieces are there for him.

Just consider for a moment these things:

-It's still called version .68, so it is acknowledged as no where near done, and far below any version number we've seen ship before.
-People have seen 1800 video clips in the rom file, barely been touched so far
-The game doesn't even have call outs active yet (hardly any)
-Lyman's past track record on games. TWD was not well received at first. AC/DC as well. MET was seen as unfinished for a long time. All are now considered top Stern titles.

2 weeks later
#1675 7 years ago

This latest update has been interesting. It's such small changes "on paper" but you can see the ripple effects throughout the whole game, and the fun factor steadily increasing.

#1686 7 years ago

The more I play the last update, the more pumped I am about this game. It's going to be amazing once that mode is added for finishing the 4 villians, and then all the call outs and stuff to be added, and everything else.

The skeleton game that's there is really demonstrating an awesome risk/reward game. How much do you push your luck? Will be a new classic.

#1719 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I just got my topper installed and working, just confirming with others, I don't see it active yet during game play, just during attract mode basically?

yup.

I suspect it might turn on for a multiball or something later? Obviously you don't want it on too much.

#1741 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That Commissioner Gordon target is taking a beating. I'm working on mastering the backhand approach.

The real challenge is to time your backhand so you can repeatedly hit it as it returns full velocity on the ramp. That is fun.

1 week later
#1877 7 years ago

I had my spring go on the flipper which made it act weird.

#1886 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

A had a flipper spring break on my Batman66 this weekend. First time I've ever seen a spring break. The connecting loop on one end just snapped off. Is that typically seen on Stern machines? It was at a show so I had to improvise a fix by uncoiling the last few turns and making a new connecting loop.

That was exactly what happened to me and exactly how I fixed mine.

#1900 7 years ago

Wicked photos and write up. Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#1980 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

does it seem weird that aerosmith is at v1 already?

Completely different teams, 1 game was rushed out to meet a party and the other was held back to accommodate it. So... it is what it is.

I won't be happy if I hear Lyman has been pulled off Batman but as long as he's working on it and as long as it meets its potential, we'll end up with a great game.

#2008 6 years ago

New code

V0.70.0 - March 22, 2017
========================

- Added a wizard mode for defeating all of the major villains.
- Started at the top eject (Bat Signal).
- 4 ball multiball, all villains lit.
- Shoot the left and right ramps to defeat Catwoman.
- Shoot the turntable to defeat the Joker. (Once the Joker has been
defeated, the turntable will move to the Batcave position and the
playfield multiplier will be available.)
- Bash the crane (complete all positions) and shoot the Penguin VUK
to defeat The Penguin.
- Shoot the left/right loops to defeat The Riddler.
- Defeat all villains to light the Top Eject for Super Jackpot.
- Shot scoring is based on villain mode play (number of batphone
hurry-up target hits + number of mode shots made).
- Super Jackpot scoring is based on the super jackpot values
collected during the villain modes (in order). A new value is
added each time a super jackpot is collected.
- Added lamp effects for turntable lock kick, top eject kick, and penguin
VUK kick.
- Batphone hurry-up is awarded at the top eject if the major villain wizard
mode is ready to start.
- Added display (removed red dots) for the multiplier award display effect.
- Added additional biff bam pow effects for multiball and villain wizard
mode.
- Main multiball, main multiball lock, and major villain wizard mode
shot/super jackpot awards were not killing the large effects when the
display effect would go away. This has been corrected.
- Added major villain high scores (+ attract mode display).
- Penguin crane set to HOME position if a valid position cannot be found.
- Added display for lock lit. Added sounds and speech.
- Added display for atomic pile hit (playfield multiplier).
- Added info for lock lit and atomic pile (playfield multiplier) lit.
- Added display for lighting the atomic pile.
- Added attract mode displays for BAT PHONE CHAMPION and BONUS CHAMPION.
- Fixed an issue where the music for the minor villain mode select
background was starting before the display effect.
- Added a setting for clearing the penguin VUK in case multiple balls get
stuck in the VUK and cannot be cleared by a single kick.
- Removed main multiball start from the list of effects that can be
aborted by pressing both flipper buttons.
- Playfield multiplier now paused during main multiball start and villain
wizard mode start.
- Replaced custom message display in attract mode.
- Cleaned up attract mode HSTD. Seperated out animations so they can be
flipped through individually such that the player doesn't have to wait
for HSTD 1/2 or even longer for HSTD 3/4.
- Fixed "Game Over" animation so the text can be translated.
- Fixed "Replay At" animation such that the translated text ins't rendered
outside of the black area.
- Added background to the find out more at sternpinball.com.
- Combos were not scoring values with the shot multiplier. This has been
corrected.
- Added a background lamp effect for catwoman ready.
- Added a background lamp effect for joker ready.
- Added basic instant info (newspaper / replace red dots).
- Timers now paused when the ball is in the top eject and the penguin VUK.
- SPIKE 2 O/S changed to 2.0.4 (better handling of split SPK files).

#2010 6 years ago

this new villain multiball will help with giving more to do in the game.

#2013 6 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

It's only 0.70 haha. A beast in the making. Like many predicted all along.

We can only assume Lyman has a road map to 1.0, and this is his way of showing where he thinks he is, and I agree once completed it should be pretty amazing.

#2016 6 years ago

Just played a few games. Was unable to start the wizard mode so I can't comment on that yet. Did not see or hear any new call outs or videos in the existing modes, but that was not stated in the readme. So we're still waiting for the big update where all the call outs come to life as well as a lot more video content.

The high score screens though have Villains now, and also a Bonus High Score, and they are easily scrolled through with the flippers, so that is cool.

So it seems the big change then is that wizard mode.

#2040 6 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

I'm in the club I cannot get the machine to load the USB stick

The file was zipped this time, make sure it is unzipped before you put it on usb (2 files).

#2044 6 years ago

I'm on a mac as well. Did you double click the file to unzip it first? Try that, then copy to usb that is formatted fat32.

#2048 6 years ago

Just had a 600 million game.

The main multiball has a lot more video clips and overlay effects, so the action is super charged.

There is a "winter is coming" type of flickering going on at times, but I don't know why it came up, but I found the usage in this game less hard on the eyes than on GOT so no complaints from me and good to see some GI effects.

I managed to get to the new wizard mode. There is new music used in it. Shots are all lit, the crane is in use as well. Lots of video clips. Since I was playing I couldn't see too much on the screen but there was stuff happening.

There is a crane flasher that seems to be used a lot more than it was before.

Still lots of placeholder video and still waiting on the call outs.

1 week later
#2136 6 years ago

I just heard the "Super Jackpot is Ready" call out by the narrator's voice. I agree, they got an amazing sound alike.

#2154 6 years ago

Scores are always reset, because the scoring can be changed between updates so it wouldn't be fair to leave high scores up if the game scores lower from balancing.

Avengers for certain wiped the scores.

1 week later
#2260 6 years ago

yeah, just the lack of callouts and video assets properly integrated is a huge piece still missing.

#2303 6 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

no code today.
I asked George. He said newest version goes into testing today. With a hope for a release early next week.
He said there's a lot in it. No other details, but its not coming today fellow owners.

Well, at least we've been spared the misery of waiting for something that isn't showing up.

#2350 6 years ago

I'm telling you if the next update is labeled 0.71 I'm gonna be pissed!

It's just a number. He could call it 1.23 if it made you feel better.

What's more important is what is in there (and what isn't).

An update containing minor villains and gadgets integrated properly would be pretty decent.

We've been told that call outs will be last, so I'm not expecting that yet.

#2353 6 years ago

V0.71.0 - April 24, 2017
========================

- Added BAT TURN mode.
- Lit at the ATOMIC PILE after 10 hits (default) to the BATMOBILE.
- BATMOBILE spins increase the payoff value.
- When the mode starts, all shots are lit for the payoff value, which
counts down.
- Shoot any shot to collect the payoff value and stop the countdown.
The shot will no longer be available.
- Hitting the BATMOBILE increases the payoff value, re-lights all of
the shots, and re-starts the countdown.
- If a multiball mode (either TURNTABLE MULTIBALL or VILLAIN ESCAPE)
runs with BAT TURN and the turntable moves to the TV side, all of the
shots are re-lit and worth 2x the current payoff value, and the value
will not count down. Shooting a lit shot re-lights all of the other
shots.
- The mode is TIMED (40 seconds, default). The timer can be reset to
40 seconds by hitting the BATMOBILE, or by getting "MORE TIME" from
the mystery feature.
- Added a display effect for batmobile spinner hit.
- Implemented "MORE TIME" for the major villain wizard mode.
- The right loop was not being considered for combos (due to the control
gate). This has been corrected.
- Fixed a problem with the batphone hurry-up where the music would revert
back to different music (noticed mostly when the CATWOMAN hurry-up was
started).
- Batphone hurry-up text now set to the correct value in the award display
effect.
- Fixed a problem with the batphone hurry-up where the turntable would
move when a new hurry-up (other than the first) was started.
- Added a setting (default: NO) that allows completed major villains to
be locked out until VILLAIN ESCAPE is started.
- Bonus was counting combo sequences each ball instead of the total number
of combos each ball. This has been corrected.
- Gadget applied during the penguin mode now awards a crane hit if there
is nothing else to award.
- Riddler shot with super jackpot lit will not choose the penguin VUK.
- Synced multiball BIFF/BAM/POW item chosen for the main display with
villain vision. Added BIFF/BAM/POW for villain escape.
- BAM display for MULTIBALL and VILLAIN ESCAPE was not being displayed
properly. This has been corrected.
- Reworked VILLAIN ESCAPE
- Part 1 is timed (default: 30 seconds) of 1 ball play. All switches
increase the jackpot value.
- Part 2 is multiball, like before, with all villains worth the jackpot
amount that was built up in part 1.
- Replaced animation and video clips.
- Fixed attract mode custom message (use drop shadow).
- Added gadget use via the lockdown bar button, which will open the
turntable lock diverter after the ball is plunged. The physical lock
must be available and the ball must be past the right loop switch before
the button press will be considered to open the diverter.
- Fixed a bug in VILLAIN ESCAPE that would cause the scores to be
initialized improperly. This caused the jackpot values to take on bad
(large) values. This has been corrected.
- Added color to little girl in extra ball effect.
- Fixed inconsistency between the cartoon intro and the extra ball. The
intro has color mid ground people and as subject matter gets farther away

#2354 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

- Added a setting (default: NO) that allows completed major villains to
be locked out until VILLAIN ESCAPE is started.

I like this. Will probably set mine for Yes.

Bat Turn is appreciated. Nice to see the game get deeper in an unanticipated way.

#2488 6 years ago

Just updated the code and got Bat Turn going. That is a lot of fun. Not sure what I was supposed to do in it, but lots of lit shots all over the playfield and really enjoyed the new music.

1 week later
#2506 6 years ago

From past Lyman coded games I've expected a year+ journey. This game has taken longer than I expected to get to a base level (1.0) but I trust in Lyman to get us to where we need to be. Also, considering this is the big Stern 30th Anniversary pin and first Super LE I just don't see them abandoning it and his work so far is showing us a nuanced game.

#2510 6 years ago

I do think BM66 is a special situation. A "boutique" release with limited sales goals at high end prices. They NEED us (BM66 buyers) to be happy for this to happen again.

If the "cost" to them is paying Lyman for the time he needs (year+) on this one title, then that is a reasonable expense to set up their next SLE offering.

#2515 6 years ago

Dutch Pinball just announced Willy Wonka as their next game. Likely that was a license being shopped around recently.

#2517 6 years ago

Never seen that as a bug, but often on Sterns you can get dead flippers from a false positive on the trough switches, thinking the ball had drained. If it happens again try double checking the connections.

#2526 6 years ago
Quoted from melumga:

Not necessarily Batman-related, but how would one put their pinny into a single-player-only config? I want to disable multiplayer for a party so that kids can't keep pumping the 'start' button when it's on free play. Thanks.

Not sure if you can on free play, but when I expect kids I make sure the ball auto launch is set so the game will at least clear itself in time.

#2539 6 years ago

If we're lucky they'll also offer the SLE speaker grills .

1 week later
#2563 6 years ago

V0.75.0 - May 25, 2017
======================

- Tightened up the lock post closing time after a ball is locked or
multiball is started. The lock post and the diverter should both be
fully closed before a new ball is served.
- Added batphone hurry-up award when restarting VILLAIN ESCAPE via
add-a-ball as there is a possibility that the hurry-up can be started
during the VILLAIN ESCAPE grace period.
- Skill shot award was not stopping the super skill shot or the penguin
skill shot. This has been corrected.
- Reworked the Joker mode:
- At the start, the Gordon target, the Penguin hole, and the Atomic
Pile target are lit.
- Shooting the Atomic Pile target starts the main part of the mode
and cancels the Gordon target and the Penguin hole. Shooting the
Penguin hole starts the Batcave sequence, lights the left loop to
finish the sequence, and cancels the Gordon target.
- The timers for the Gordon target and the Batcave sequence are set
via adjustment (default: OFF).
- The player may play and see as much or as little of the story as they
want. Playing more of the story results in bigger scores during VILLAIN
ESCAPE.
- Added sounds, clips, and speech.
- Reworked the Riddler mode:
- At the start, the Gordon target, the Penguin hole, and both Riddler
loop shots are lit.
- Shooting either Riddler loop shot starts the main part of the mode
and cancels the Gordon target and the Penguin hole. Shooting the
Penguin hole starts the Batcave sequence, lights the left loop to
finish the sequence, and cancels the Gordon target.
- The timers for the Gordon target and the Batcave sequence are set
via adjustment (default: OFF).
- The player may play and see as much or as little of the story as they
want. Playing more of the story results in bigger scores during VILLAIN
ESCAPE.
- Added sounds, clips, and speech.
- Added SLE tables. Reworked some custom speech to use data from the
micro-SD card for custom speech in attract mode.
- Fixed a bug with applying gadgets during VILLAIN ESCAPE that would
award shots that had already been completed.
- Main multiball lock display effect was not being queued when awarded
from the turntable lock. Certain higher priority effects (super skill
shot) were preventing the lock display from running. This has been
corrected.
- Super skill shot and short plunge skill shot were not scoring points
multiplied by the shot multiplier. This has been corrected.
- Added super skill shot display effect. Fixed a bug with the penguin
skill shot where it would not display the correct number of points
scored.
- Fixed a bug in the villain vision effect request code that was
preventing certain background effects from running.
- Added a setting (default: ON) to disable super jackpot collect during
multiball.
- Added villain vision effects for ball save, tilt warning, extra ball
lit, extra ball, and tilt.
- Replaced main multiball villain vision effect with jackpot.
- Extra ball lit effect is killed in some cases where extra ball is
awarded and extra ball lit is running or pending.
- Major villain wizard mode multiball autofire timer increased by 5
seconds. Super jackpot gives add-a-ball, adjustable: settings are
NONE, 1-4, UNLIMITED. Default = 3.
- Fixed a bug in bat turn where the villain vision and batphone targets
would not score a shot in the mode.
- Fixed bat turn mania champion text. When entering initials, the text
would not fit on the display.
- Added lockout for applying gadgets immediately after a ball is served.
- Added check and recording of major villain (Catwoman, Joker, Penguin,
Riddler) HSTD.
- Fixed hurry-up re-initialize of hits left to start the hurry up again.
The villain should only be harder to start the next time if the hurry-up
was made and the villain mode was started.
- A new ball in the turntable lock now kills the skill shot.
- Extra ball award display effect kills the extra ball fanfare when the
display effect goes away. The fanfare was running past the end of the
display effect, and since it ducked the music, it was causing some
mode music (primarily Riddler 1/2) to be very quiet.
- Removed some bad extra ball speech.
- Changed MORE TIME for VILLAIN ESCAPE, PLAYFIELD MULTIPLIER, and BATTURN
such that the time is added without a cap.
- Removed more time from batturn batmobile spinner hit.
- Added playfield multiplier to timed modes group so MORE TIME will work.
- Increased initial time for the playfield multiplier from 20 seconds to
30 seconds. MORE TIME value is 20 seconds.
- Turntable lock post was not being raised during ball search when lock
was lit for a physical lock. This caused the locked balls to empty out
of the lock during ball search. The lock post is now raised during
ball search.
- Player score now updated during bonus when "TOTAL BONUS" page is
displayed.
- Implemented different newspaper headlines for instant info.
- Worked in the newspaper zoom to the first frame of the instant info.
- Reworked instant info so the newspaper animation loops, which eliminates
occasional glitches between pages.
- Changed batturn mania RGB lamps from WHITE/CYAN to CYAN/BLUE so they
stand out more from other modes.

#2621 6 years ago

My game updated fine but when the node update happened an audible buzz started from the speakers and remained even after I power cycled. Anyone else get this?

#2624 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My game updated fine but when the node update happened an audible buzz started from the speakers and remained even after I power cycled. Anyone else get this?

This seems cleared up after the game was off for a while. I did power cycle it initially and the buzzing remained, but now it seems to have gone away.

#2627 6 years ago
Quoted from melumga:

The missus made me this Bat-acular cake for my birthday...

Holy shit, that is amazing. That is like tv show cake.

#2658 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

from what I can see, BM66 is more beautiful and more interesting looking.

I agree.

You have 2 nostalgia themes, but they never made games like BM66 IN the 60s, so it is a really unique piece.

Star Wars 40 year old Original Trilogy license just feels dated to me. And it's been done before, multiple times. I suspect a Force Awakens license might have felt a little more contemporary.

I'm still reserving judgement about the new Star Wars till we see more, but I'm surprised how little its doing for me.

#2670 6 years ago

At first I had room for 1. Then we moved things around and turned the game sideways, so we could fit 2. Then we moved some more stuff and rented a storage locker and made room for 4. Then finally squeezed in 5.

Then I bought a new house. lol.

1 week later
#2722 6 years ago

Sad. But I'm glad we were privy to the last year of his life and it all seemed to be a positive thing for him.

1 week later
#2914 6 years ago

I am surprised we're at the end of June 2017 and the code is still so incomplete. Definitely has been a slower ride than I expected. Not sure why that is.

#2948 6 years ago

I'm glad Stern at least squashed that one quickly instead of letting the wheels fall off.

#3017 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Do you think this game will ever have audio cues during gameplay like SM does? I fear it will just be lounge music, instead of voice callouts like other superhero games have. Ie. "Get a move on". "Web slinger is back!" "Do it again! (Combo)".
The silence while playing is deafening, even after the last 2 updates.

One of my most awaited updates. Both Adam West and Burt Ward recorded custom audio, so I have to guess the game will come alive at some point. I think it was explained once that Lyman does that work last, once the rest of the game is done.

That will also give us some idea of when the game is considered close to complete.

2 weeks later
#3241 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I agree. My patience and goodwill are wearing a little thin. We all know the story of BM66 being rushed out, ahead of AS for example, and many of us have been cool with that situation since Expo, while both AS and SW came out with much better code. I expected that. If we get another new pin release after SW with better code than BM66 has by that point, my goodwill will be over. I'm still hopeful, but no longer optimistic. My BM66 LE purchase deposit invoice is dated August 30, 2016. How much longer can Lyman dedicate significant resources to BM66 with Lonnie and Dwight having coded new games since he has?

Best I understand, at Expo last year Lyman had been on BM66 for 4 months, which was too early to let the public play it. That would put the start date around June 2016 for his work.

So we're around the 1 year mark on BM66. I am not sure how long a game typically gets, and how much is supported by other coders as opposed to the main coder.

Was BM66 hamstrung by the frequent public releases, where the game would have to be frozen and tested for each release, as opposed to just knocking it out?

All of this is moot if the BM66 code could be wrapped up in a satisfactory way.

#3253 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I find it hard to believe that at expo there was 4 months in the pure batman code but in all honestly I have limited knowlege on what the basic requirements are just to make the Lights flash, the ball search and scrolling the LCD screen which was all the game did at expo.

That was all the demo was set to do at Expo (attract mode), but internally the game was "playable". Just not well enough to let 1000 people play it. There was that report of a kid dropping a quarter into the demo machine and it started the game.

#3350 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The way I see it, the longer the wait, the bigger the update.

I'd rather Lyman stay focused on coding the game instead of trying to get constant updates out.

As long as he's working on it, I can live with it.

I do wonder what kind of QA period is needed before every pinball software update. And look at the Star Wars thread about the story of blowing node boards about what can happen with pinball bugs.

1 week later
#3552 6 years ago

Thank you for posting this.

I know it won't shut up a certain person around here by it's nice to hear once again they are committed to it as much as ever.

#3581 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Life is too short to focus this much negativity on one thing.

yeah, no shit. What a sad way to live.

1 week later
#3706 6 years ago

This was always a "boutique" run. Was there ever expectation that it was going to sell Ghostbusters level? It sold at a higher price across less units, that was where their profit lies and it made money.

#3726 6 years ago

After playing some more BM66 this weekend, and comparing it against the SWLE footage I've seen, I've concluded BM66 is way superior to it for theme integration, and I believe the fun factor will be way higher on BM66 when it is done. I've cancelled my SWLE order as I just don't have any excitement for it, but I can't wait for the big code drop for batman.

#3758 6 years ago

The wait sucks, no doubt about it.

We can keep our expectations in check, but this list has to be incorporated at some point:

-more video assets from the show
-minor villain modes
-all the custom speech recorded by Adam and Burt
-Bat gadgets incorporated fully
-Villain vision on the tv
-Batusi

and the "reach" goals would be unexpected new modes like Bat Turn.

If the above list is done, then we have a real gem. I can't see them NOT delivering on the above as most of the ground work is laid already for most of it.

#3764 6 years ago

I forgot about Batgirl - best part of owning the LE .

#3858 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hmmm, maybe too many labels. I think I like the "Bat-Plunger" one but others might be too busy.

I like them, but yeah I'd say keep Bat Plunger, and Bat-Start Button, and maybe Bat Door Lock.

#3901 6 years ago

Christopher Franchi said he hopes his next game might debut at Expo. My gut (with no inside info) is that this could be the Elvira game, which would be another boutique release.

The only way another boutique run will sell is if the Batman code is seen as mostly complete by then. The pool of buyers for these games is pretty small.

#3914 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I don't know if they really consider us "suckers", but I do think they pushed the envelope with a "let them eat cake" attitude. They don't lose any sleep if jfh or Manimal don't have code.......lol

I don't know about that. I think in the end this was a miscalculated gamble to get the game out for the 30th anniversary. They could be doing the best they can. It all depends on whether the final game is delivers on its potential. Then we can decide their attitude.

Hell, considering Adam West died recently, and I'm sure call outs are recorded late in the process, who knows if he would have ended up being in the game at all otherwise if the game didn't come out last year.

1 week later
#4156 6 years ago

Stern was literally the only game in town for a long time, now there is a lot of choice. Things like how you support your customers will affect business.

From everything I've ever been told about people who visit Stern, it is filled with people 100% dedicated to the passion of pinball. They just need to correct their handling of the customer base and managing expectations. Obviously how they've done things is an ongoing issue, so it would be wise to fix that sooner than later.

#4246 6 years ago

Isn't there always a beta test period? So wouldn't it be "known" that a code drop is coming if its been put into beta. Seems like Stern could at least communicate that.

This idea that we're waiting around every Thursday wondering if today's the day is ridiculous and they could manage that so much better.

#4281 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't think Stern does outside betas. Pretty sure the testing that's done is all in house.

My thinking was that when it was in beta, no matter who or where it is being tested, they could say it is in beta and a release coming soon. If the b66 code is not even being beta tested, and features still messed with, then we know for certain it isn't being released this week, or next week.

#4290 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sadly, we are all freaking about code drop on a pinball machine. In the grand scheme of things, pretty pathetic.

I ponder this a lot. Well before this week. These are the problems in my life. Who am i to complain.

#4338 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

What have they said besides its coming and stay tuned.

Quoted from pauloz:

One of the guys on Aussie Arcade asked (nicely) about when new code and got this reply.
/start of email
Hello,
I received your email asking about the status of Batman code. As we attempted to do releases every 2 weeks it became clear to us that the types of features that could be released every 2 weeks would be minor and the complaint would then be about the lack of significant* impact of those features. This means that the work required to complete bigger features requires more development and testing time than a 2 week duration will allow.
In addition it is not uncommon to discover bugs related to the new code or how it interacts with the existing code during testing, which in turn regresses the release for fixing and re-testing.
Lyman and I are personally committed to delivering a product worthy of the legacy of games that we have created thru the years. To this end he is working on the game full time and will remain so until the game is done to our satisfaction. This particular game requires significant effort due to the breadth of material available in the Batman 66 theme. We have every intention of delivering on the promise of a great game.
We are very close to doing the next releases which contains many of the features that the community has been asking for including substantially more video, speech, sounds and more evolved rules and play events.
Thank you for your patience.
GG
/end of email

#4382 6 years ago

I take comfort that way back Lyman had publicly complained that TWD was not given enough time for code and was incomplete. Then not too long later, like a handful of months, he dropped the big update that changed that game. So, in a lot of ways we've been here before. All can and will be forgiven when the big update drops, and they've assured us it will.

#4388 6 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

Where do they talk about a big update dropping?

Quoted from pauloz:

One of the guys on Aussie Arcade asked (nicely) about when new code and got this reply.

/start of email

Hello,
I received your email asking about the status of Batman code. As we attempted to do releases every 2 weeks it became clear to us that the types of features that could be released every 2 weeks would be minor and the complaint would then be about the lack of significant* impact of those features. This means that the work required to complete bigger features requires more development and testing time than a 2 week duration will allow.

In addition it is not uncommon to discover bugs related to the new code or how it interacts with the existing code during testing, which in turn regresses the release for fixing and re-testing.

Lyman and I are personally committed to delivering a product worthy of the legacy of games that we have created thru the years. To this end he is working on the game full time and will remain so until the game is done to our satisfaction. This particular game requires significant effort due to the breadth of material available in the Batman 66 theme. We have every intention of delivering on the promise of a great game.

We are very close to doing the next releases which contains many of the features that the community has been asking for including substantially more video, speech, sounds and more evolved rules and play events.

Thank you for your patience.

GG

/end of email

#4391 6 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Just curious, when was that response written?

Was posted here 41 days ago.

#4430 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

BM66 Premium has no more in it than Aerosmith Pro or TWD Pro does

didn't realize Aero Pro or TWD Pro had mechs like this hidden somewhere inside

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 1.19.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-01-04 at 1.19.43 PM (resized).png

#4442 6 years ago

I personally don't get why the concern over how much profit Stern makes. It's a free market and these are toys. This isn't cancer medicine sold to dying people who need it. It's either "worth it" to you, or it isn't. You either have the money to buy it or you don't. Last I checked, these games were still available in the public to play for around a buck.

#4574 6 years ago

I've got the shirt ready

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.36.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.36.06 PM (resized).png

#4601 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

New rumor is no GOTG at Expo. I'm curious if this is because Lyman is not done with BM66 yet.

Everything is driven by the factory. If there is no new game at Expo, it is because the factory schedule is full and no new title needed to fill production.

I suspect programmers have very little effect on game releases, and BM66 is a great example of that. They demoed it non-playable at expo, and obviously we're all familiar with the state of the code a year later.

#4701 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

How good would that be!!!

yeah i'll take it.

#4719 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I know I am going to get accused of making something up when I say this part is not true, but it isn't. There may be a few collectors that are passing on the SW theme, but the route operators are loving it because it is earning a lot more than most other games. Maybe that is just the theme, or maybe it is the play, but the route guys are happy with SW and I am told the orders are very robust. I have personally seen the parts and cabinets stacked up for production on both SW and AS, so I doubt Stern is singing the blues. I don't know what the targets actually are, but they are still selling well.

If there is no game shown at Expo, then you will absolutely be confirmed as correct on this. If SW was underselling, the next title would be rolled out. If the factory is busy, then we wait.

#4726 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

It blows away any game I have seen in years

good lord, he's really sucking on the hype pipe.

1 week later
#4897 6 years ago

I like the look of that Batman cliffhanger thing. Throw that in along with the rest of the features we are expecting and that is a tremendous game.

#4910 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So based on the screen grab it looks like you play a villain mode then after a certain point you have the option of collecting points and ending or to you can keep going and possibly risk losing your points?

Does Lyman have anything like that in his other games?

Kind of reminiscent of MET Crank it Up.

#4915 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

How does that mode work?

Like this:

Crank It Up becomes eligible after you do a series of qualifying

Scoop lights up for CIU

When you put the ball in the scoop, you can select a song for Crank it Up mode, or take a 5 million point cash out immediately.

Shoot the lit shots for that song, missed shots move the shot.

After some time, the scoop lights up again, and if you hit it, you can cash it in, or keep playing CIU.

So then it's how long do you press your luck, or take the points.

I can see this translating to Batman episodes/villains.

It was a great addition to MET at the time.

#4968 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Guess it's not this week then.

hmph.

#4990 6 years ago

These version numbers remaining below 1.0 is new. Stern never used to release software numbered that way. Games that were absolutely not complete were always released above 1.0 on release day.

I wonder if Stern did adopt a system of using version 1.0 as it's base way of acknowledging whether a game is "feature complete", after that is small tweaks, but don't expect huge changes post 1.0.

#4992 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps releasing Batman at .65 was their way of letting us no it was no where near complete. And might be a while before it would be.

Yes but TWD for example was as version 1.0 on release, and that had inserts and modes missing for a good year. Let alone all the other changes and refinements.

Calling something version .65 IS useful though, so I don't want to crap on this. I'm just pointing out that this wasn't always the case and something has changed inside Stern.

#5078 6 years ago

I’m not sure if Batman was supposed to be a big seller. That was the whole boutique concept of it. Less sales but at higher pricing. Obviously we’ve run the numbers here and their cash take on it when you factor in SLE is significant.

But if they leave the Batman owners not feeling good about their games it will be very hard the next time they try a boutique release.

#5194 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Until talking with him the past few weeks, I had no idea the software could do so much damage to the different boards and how careful they have to be.

This is the real reason we won't see open source pinball code. Video games just crash, pinball literally fries things.

#5264 6 years ago

George is speaking about B66 now. He says contrary to rumors Lyman has worked on nothing else but B66, but working out ideas takes time and if they're not happy they'll drop it and try another idea.

#5266 6 years ago

He says the 2 weeks announcement was a mistake, he shouldn't have said it. He said him and Lyman are dedicated to making it a great game.

New code is on the show floor.

#5273 6 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I think George's answer was honest. They have obviously had issues with working out how to create the best rule set and redone things, scrapped stuff they weren't happy with. It makes more sense to me hearing this and takes guts to admit things don't always go right first time

I thought George's answer was honest. He said it has gone slower and has been a very challenging title. Obviously we don't know all the details, but if Lyman is there working on it, what more can we ask.

#5275 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unless it's a major theme must have for me I'll be waiting to buy in the future when code is actually complete.
Plenty of other options right now

Games are produced for years off the line. We're the nutcases that buy them on day 1.

#5302 6 years ago

I'm frustrated, but at the same time I believe them when they say they are dedicated to it being a great game.

#5334 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

But without a software miracle and a demonstrated commitment from Stern that deep and challenging code is important, Batman 66 may be my last Stern game purchase.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. There is a TON of competition for MY money.

Best way to keep my money in their pocket is to make sure i'm a happy customer. Doesn't matter what is going on behind the scenes, all I care about is my enjoyment of a high priced toy.

#5368 6 years ago

Having slept on it, I think everyone is this thread is right to be upset with Stern.

BM66 was a different game. There was no Pro model at all. It was their most expensive game, created to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

The hundreds of us that bought it are the "cream" customers that are going to be poached by other companies and less likely to be Stern LE customers, and certainly day 1 customers.

Stern will always have their Pros, and that will be the bedrock of their business, and they aren't going anywhere, but BM66 was a high-end "boutique" title, and they've blown it.

It's frustrating to watch, frustrating to be a part of it, because I like Stern the company and the people that work there. I'm left scratching my head.

#5406 6 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Did anyone attend the Franchi and Freres session?
Was it recorded or streamed? The one bright spot for us is art.

Pinball News had a very brief blurb about it. Sounds like it was them recounting the story of how Freres recruited Franchi. No mention of any new game.

#5417 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does anybody really believe Gomez and Lyman are going to (as in the future) buy Batman66?

Why is that hard to believe? Lyman told me that himself.

John Borg sent me photos once of his collection of his pinballs he owns.

Everyone who works there is a pinhead. We know this.

#5420 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just assumed if you were part of the design team you already owned one. Care of the company you are working for.

I don't know what they pay, obviously its a factory price. I never expected they'd get freebies. McDonald's employees get food for half price, not free .

#5471 6 years ago
Quoted from Pfunk237:

All three said 'If you love it now wait TWO Weeks, and this new code is going to blow you away'.

There was no indication at the Stern talk at expo that the upcoming code release is at "blow you away" territory. I wish they wouldn't say that. That's the kind of stuff like "every 2 weeks" that gets them in trouble.

I expect the game WHEN FINISHED will "blow you away", but that won't be happening in 2 weeks.

#5510 6 years ago

thanks for the info. Good to get some actual information about the game code. Cool that Lyman was there in person and could talk about it a bit with you.

Everything we've been told, over and over, is that he'll finish it on his terms. It's been longer than any of us wanted, but I still feel like we'll get there.

#5575 6 years ago

I think someone with a cell phone video talking to Lyman for 5 minutes about his plans for Batman66 would go a loooooong way.

#5606 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

ebay.com link
wowsers.

If it was always just the initial 30 SLEs, i think they'd keep their value no matter what the state of the software. But then it got bumped to 80, and add 240 LEs. We found the limits of the rich guy market.

#5717 6 years ago

That new atomic pile is neat.

Is this all made possible by 3d printing? I don't know much about that technology but that is cool if this is how this stuff is being fabricated.

#5872 6 years ago

Almost never. I spend too much time on Pinside.

the link will be posted here in 3 seconds so don't sweat it.

#5932 6 years ago

The download only took a few minutes today.

#5957 6 years ago

"1 year"+ is always a good rule of thumb for Lyman coded games. And he's the only coder at Stern that does big fundamental changes to his games well after release.

I definitely would have predicted a year at the start. I guess all of this went south by the early "every 2 weeks" declaration, that was an impossible objective and just set a feeding frenzy of posts watching the clock tick.

#6112 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

It is a Stern game designed by John Borg.
From Chris Franchi's facebook page
"PINBALL UPDATE!!! I was given a sneak peek at the playfield build-up of the newest pinball game I designed for Stern Pinball today. I almost crapped my own pants. It is AMAZING!!!! It blows away any game I have seen in years and I am so privileged to have had the opportunity to work with legend John Borg, master Art Director Greg Freres, Steven Martin and the skilled geniuses at Stern. All will be revealed very soon! Save your pennies! This is a MUST HAVE! (Don't try to get clues from the photo - It's just a stock image)"

Now that we've seen GotG, I think with Lyman's finished ruleset, BM66 will be the superior game and an incredible theme integration experience that few other pinballs can touch.

#6180 6 years ago

Yeah I heard Josh had gotten one. Thought that boded well for what is known on the "inside" about the game.

#6225 6 years ago

I just noticed my joker standups aren't triggering. I know there's been discussion about them in the past. Has there been consensus about a reliable fix for them?

#6280 6 years ago

That's a decent update, and quick. Hopefully whatever logjam was holding things up has broken and the rough timeline of BM66 being completed by Christmas will hold.

#6413 6 years ago

Just installed .81. WOW!!! The game is coming together now. Lyman is giving a clinic on how much a pin can change through software and how much more fun it can be.

I dare say this can be one of Stern's best titles ever when it is done. The theme integration is just so off-the-charts and in a class of its own, and Lyman's rules and variety is really starting to shine.

#6417 6 years ago

I haven't gotten deep into the new code, but there is NO WAY Lyman is going to leave any aspect of this game as "chopping wood", even if parts of it seem that way today because it isn't completed.

"In Lyman we trust" and I'm pretty pumped about the prospects now that there is movement again.

1 week later
#6769 6 years ago

I passed on buying Star Wars, because I didn't want another new game arriving with my Dialed In, and having 2 games competing for my attention.

Now Batman is giving Dialed In a run for my attention, and is winning.

And that's not to say Dialed In is anything less than what it is. It's that B66 is turning out THAT GOOD.

#6797 6 years ago

Just played the new code!!

Minor Villains are in the house! Now there is a reason to shoot those TV Season targets on the right side. That will be a very valuable shot now, this will be reminiscent of how much TWD changed when those drops became important.

This is going to really change the game, you won't be as focused on the main villains all the time.

I just started Egg head, and its a self contained mode all on its own. This is going to add a lot to do in the game with 3 seasons each.

#6868 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It's under game specific adjustments somewhere near the end if I remember correctly. Can look tomorrow and post the exact adjustment. In .81 I had mine set to 1000.

Is there a reason we don't want the turntable to spin as fast as possible?

1 week later
#7037 6 years ago

We’ve been getting our updates lately as promised. No idea how much time Lyman was involved in the Twd update but we don’t have much to complain about at this time. All eyes on the Christmas update.

#7195 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

- Added CHANNEL CHANGING for the main TV when small TVs are displayed.
Press and hold the GADGET BUTTON for ~1/4 second to change the video,
music, and lights that are associated with the main TV.

This seems interesting.

#7201 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Maybe long hold for changing vs short tap for gadget

I think that's exactly it.

To me, the channel changing is just so you can choose what stacked mode is taking priority with what you see. So if you get a minor villain, you can decide whether you want them on the main channel, or the primary, etc.

#7206 6 years ago

Yeah I’d like to see some regular multiballs added.

They keep saying ‘you ain’t seen nothing yet’ so who knows.

#7213 6 years ago

I think most pinballs need that cooling off period, before code is revised one last time. So if we can get it to a "1.0" feature complete state, and then Lyman comes back to it one last time at some point in the future, that sounds good to me.

The Stern version numbering has changed since the days of TWD which shipped at "1.0" and that was hugely incomplete.

#7220 6 years ago

Just had my first game of .84.

That changing channel feature is cool as hell! I had Penguin running, then added Freeze to it. And holding the button down lets you flip back and forth. It's such a dramatic switch of TV video, music and lit shots, it really is like changing the channel! This definitely qualifies as "new and innovative". I hope there is more like that to come.

#7248 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Does anyone have a video of the Channel Changing feature in action? Am I correct in saying you can switch modes when they are stacked so you can see which shots are needed (on the playfield and display) for a certain mode, then switch to a different mode that is running and see which shots are needed for that mode?

I believe the modes are stacked, but unlike normal games when it gets confusing, you can select the channel to light what you want to focus on.

#7289 6 years ago

Loving the game now. Glad I have an LE.

My prediction was always "1 year" for Lyman games to mature because that is always how its been. The road was bumpy because it shipped so bare bones and the lack of info during much of the last year and it left the rumor mill to spin overtime. But that is all behind us now, fortunately.

#7313 6 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

As someone who lives in the middle of nowhere in Channel Islands I have no local tech support

Contact Stern tech support, there will be some factory fixes they will send you (ramp fix), and then also mention the missing screws, which they will likely include in your package. I think they'll also replace the Batmobile if you've not fixed yours.

#7327 6 years ago

I turned on Villain stacking last night, to try with the channel changing. It worked really well. I had 3 or 4 Major Villains stacked together, and at any time could change the music and primary video to my preference.

I threw on Egg Head for good measure.

I'm not sure if I prefer Major Villain stacking, in general, and may revert it, but the test worked great and certainly makes stacking that much better since you have the control.

#7329 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

One thing I don't understand about stacked modes. If you have two modes running and they each require the same shot - do you get simultaneous credit in both modes if you make the shot?

Can't speak for Batman because I haven't analyzed it enough, but generally in pinball, yes, you get double the credit. That's what makes stacking modes so potent.

ie: Stack as many modes as you can, then throw a multiball on it, and huge scores follow.

2 weeks later
#7688 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Don't stack the major villains. Let that settong off.
your game will be total chaos.
you can stack a main villain with a minor villain with multiball with batturn...

I agree. In the beginning when the game had hardly anything going on, there was some sense is trying to stack the villains as an extra challenge, but nowadays I wouldn't bother.

#7708 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

So Why only 2 minor villains are available in the latest code if they were playable in the previous one?

they were never playable before. Only selectable. Now there are 2 playable.

#7763 6 years ago

Cool that we got an update.

.85 tells us really where Lyman thinks it is. I'll take the .85, rather than a "1.0" that doesn't feel complete, knowing there is more to come.

#7792 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The size increase was due a TON of new video clips. The 84 codes had 4,595 video clips. The 85 release has 6757 video clips, thats a huge 47% increase in clips!

WOW!!! Amazing news. This game will be in a league of its own.

I started the Mad Hatter mode and realized it's named after my LE (The Thirteenth Hat), which was cool.

Started the Shame mode, which is the 2 ball multiball, and it said it stacks on other multiballs.

#7842 6 years ago

Had some great games on the .85 code yesterday.

The 2 additional minor villains really add variety, and its exciting to think that there are a bunch more yet to come.

The channel changing really comes in handy now, because I want to watch and listen to the new modes, so I have the ability to do that.

All the additional clips and call outs are really starting to make the game stand out.

I realized, Batman66 has:

-thousands of TV show clips
-Original call outs from Adam West
-Original call outs from Burt Ward
-Original call outs from the announcer sound alike, who will do pinball specific call outs in that voice "Super Jackpot is lit... or is it?"
-Licensed music, Batman theme

This game will absolutely go down as the best theme integration ever for a pinball. It isn't missing anything.

#7849 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I can give you a $0 fix.
Turn your lights on. Install a dimmer switch if they’re too bright.
I can’t see this weird fascination with playing in the dark. Are you all cave dwellers?
rd

It's like going to a concert and the house lights stay on for the show. Some people might like that, but I prefer maximum light show.

#7860 6 years ago

Yeah, you can "channel surf" in BM66 .

#7865 6 years ago

What's fun is when you get 4-5 tvs going, then you can really surf it up.

1 week later
#8062 6 years ago

and "still" only .86

#8067 6 years ago

What exactly does this mean?

In general, way more minor villain action.

#8070 6 years ago

That's what I figured. Just not sure what it means to "spot" a target.

My interpretation is it will light the bottom target sometimes when you hit the middle one. 2 for 1.

#8077 6 years ago

update went fine for me, with the same old stick I use for everything.

the 2 new minor villains is great. I only played each one briefly but they seem fleshed out, with clips integrated like the others.

I counted 5 remaining greyed out choices.

#8079 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

good to know....3 files, correct?

yup.

#8100 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Major Villain
+ Multiball
+ PF Multiplier
+ Minor Villain
+ Bat Turn

yeah, I think I've seen max of 5 TVs on the screen. Main TV, and then 2 small TVs on both left and ride sides of LCD. Makes for some great channel surfing!

#8105 6 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

What kind of modes do you guys think will be added to the game to make it 1.00? I have been playing the game and love it, but was wondering if there will be another wizard mode added? Any goals/benefits to completing all 3 seasons or how you will beat 3 seasons, etc.

Things I can think of that it doesn't have:

-5 greyed out minor villain (seasons)
-Batusi multiball

I think it needs a wizard mode, beyond villain escape.

#8117 6 years ago

Hate to nitpick but I'm hoping Lyman does something more with the light show (or lack of). It's really generic at this point. But with what they've given us recently with code, I can live with it.

I remember the light show on TWD changed quite dramatically later on.

#8145 6 years ago

Considering you can have up to 5 modes going at once, every arrow would be lit with some color or multiple colors. Remote control may indeed be the best solution.

#8167 6 years ago

It's funny listing these modes from favorite to least favorite. Talk about an embarrassment of riches

#8170 6 years ago

When I saw that photo of Lyman signing the games in the factory, that is what sold me. I knew he'd not let us down.

#8207 6 years ago

My scores have jumped since the new code. I'm not a great player and don't press my luck with Gordon, but i've still seen my scores get better.

1 week later
#8342 6 years ago

I haven't done this myself, but I wonder if someone feels like pulling their glass and testing the magnet for each villain to see if the ball doesn't rebound too quickly, whether the behavior is to grab the ball every single time.

Mine catches the ball sometimes, sometimes it doesn't, but I always thought that was just a case where the ball ricocheted too quickly, and out of reach of the magnet.

#8369 6 years ago

It was pretty grim around here going into Expo. Glad things have tipped over for this title.

I feel for the folks at Stern. Sometimes it must be hard to have to eat the online criticisms when internally they know what their plans are, what the holdups are, and what they can and can't state publicly.

I was told from the beginning by Lyman that he was promised he gets to finish the game to his satisfaction. There really was never a time frame for it. So in the end, it looks like what the original plan was will be completed.

#8377 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Some of the BM66's sold for 2x the price of a regular stern Pro didnt they? At those prices, they better have their shit together when it comes to everything...Including code.

Yes, it's on Stern to deliver on the value, and if they don't, then sales will suffer.

#8399 6 years ago

so the rumors lately is no Elvira this year. Do you think that is because Lyman is still finishing BM66, and then he needs a good chuck of time for Elvira, so they don't repeat the same mistake? Would make sense to me. Would also set up Elvira for an awesome launch, if later than expected.

#8412 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Four files now in this update. I don't think it's going to fit on my usual 8GB flash drive. Has anyone had to go to a larger drive on this update?

It's 6GB. My 8gb stick still handling it, but I've got to reformat it usually each time.

#8446 6 years ago

No problems for me with the new code. Played some games. There is definitely way more game here now than I am able to play in a single game. I do like that any game I have the choice of: any of the major villains, play any minor villain in any order. So over multiple games you can kind of scratch the surface everywhere.

I don't think I'm good enough to get to a Batusi, or it won't happen very often. same goes for Villain Escape, really.

I like that Shame is an easy multiball. THat's basically a gimme. The main multiball is achievable also in most games.

And then there's the whole dynamic of working the Gordon shot to build multipliers, but I'll leave that to the top competition players to worry about.

#8448 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is there a shot I need to look for, like the bat computer or something like that?

I wish those computer inserts has color changing lights, because they often become priority shots but you don't realize it.

1 week later
#8656 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, if Kaneda's rumor is true this might be the last Lyman game which will bring even more appreciation for these code updates.

What rumor is that?

#8658 6 years ago

wtf.

#8671 6 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

If I opt for a Premium, what will I be missing? I realize the LE/SLE Topper would not be possible to get. What else would I be sacrificing by settling for a Premium? I assume the majority of the mods (Modcouple) would work on any version.

Besides topper, you will be missing:

-web armor
-art blades
-"1 of 1" machine for LEs (episodes/gadgets)
-Batgirl imagery on LE

those things are probably the biggest differences besides the topper.

then the usual le stuff, George and Lyman's playfield signatures, Gary certificate.

#8677 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I much prefer the art package on the LE vs Premium! (cabinet & Back box) for that mater I prefer the LE art package over the SLE as well... Jmho

Batgirl for the win .

#8705 6 years ago

I got some very serious health news yesterday not sure what is in store for me now but I may be selling all my games soon including BMLE. My wife wants me to keep them because they make me happy but if this is worse case for me then I don’t want to leave her with pinball machines to deal with. In the mean time I could use all the prayers I can get, I’m going to see a neurosurgeon on Monday.
I am walking around in a daze thinking of my wife and young daughter, cherish every moment guys.

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

On a practical note - in my estate planning, I've assigned someone to liquidate my pins at market prices for me, so my wife doesn't have to do it. So, in my worst-case-scenario this person would convert everything to cash, over a time frame that the market can absorb (say a year) and give that money to the estate, less a percentage that I've already discussed with him for the effort.

Perhaps you can let your wife "win" this one, let you keep things that make you happy, but have a worst-case plan in place for your own peace of mind and to not burden her with.

I sincerely wish you the best-case scenario this time 'round.

1 week later
#8835 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Chris Franchi provided images for 120 different gadgets that could be used on the LCD but I don't thing they have used all those images yet.

I believe those are used for the LE gadget models. If they end up in the display, that is Lyman finding a second use, but not because that was what they were made for.

#8844 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I still have to "nudge" the ball off the magnet,after bat phone hit!!Does .88 go any easier,or do I have to lower magnet strength???

There's no way the magnet is staying engaged then. So it has to be magnetized balls.

On past games, I've had balls get magnetized just after a couple of plays. It doesn't take much. Hell, I run my nut driver over my speaker a few times to get it to hang onto screws.

#8852 6 years ago
Quoted from Sutol:

Even though it can frustrate the hell out if me I'm with you. All my machines are set to 3 balls.
Just love the challenge and the sense of achievement I suppose.

I like keeping my average game times normal. And if I blow it up and have a great game, it really means something.

#8863 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

There was a post in another thread that said the Lyman retiring rumor was a red herring to trace leaks out of Stern. I'm sure someone will ask at TPF.

HA! That's some straight up Steve Jobs shit right there. Glad it's bogus.

#8875 6 years ago

WOW! What a photo. Well, the good news is you woke up. Sincerest best wishes for the ongoing fight.

#8926 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

played a couple games last night. Magnet still pretty hit or miss on grabbing the ball when you hit batphone...I feel like this would be something easy to fix...My sparky magnet on MET PRE was almost 100%...

Could straight up be a physics problem, location of targets and ricochet as opposed to sparky's feet, making it harder to catch the ball.

#8990 6 years ago

Ok last health update on me here on this my favorite Pinside thread. After a successful “craniotomy” last Thursday (tumor removed) I got the call that I had been stressing about since my diagnosis.. my pathology report, It turns out my tumor which was the size of a lemon was a benign grade 1 tumor (not cancer) which was the best possible news I could have received. I was able to sit down with my Daughter and tell her that her dad didn’t have cancer which was a pretty special moment. I can’t begin to say how lucky I feel and considering that 1 week ago I was in ICU recovering from brain surgery and today I am resting at home. I am still struggling with my speech a bit as it can be difficult for me sometimes to put my thoughts into words and I am dealing with some serious headaches but all things considered I feel very very lucky!!
Fun fact I got off of my anti seizure meds 2 days ago and finally me and my Bat Dog (Noah) went and played my BM66 and I beat my all time high score! The thing is that I have never been a great pinball player and have always struggled with making consistent shots, it seems that this tumor was pushing on an area that affected my motor function because I am hitting shots and playing better and more consistently than I ever have!
On a side note I am probably going to have to think about a different hairstyle.

Wow! What great news! Very happy to hear that this story has a happy ending. All the best to you and your family.

#9051 6 years ago

We've inched along all this time, would it really jump like that?

#9064 6 years ago

I have to believe the version numbering has meant something. To be at .88 hopefully means those last .12 will be as significant as the last .12.

#9100 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

This is what I was talking about

That's definitely something unique to the SLEs. For sure Lyman will utilize it at some point.

#9151 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

but admits its much more challenging with the video screen and timing of the video to the game play

Considering there has never been a pinball that has as many licensed video assets as BM66, this is a clear challenge and makes sense.

#9195 6 years ago

holy crap, choose an episode now for each major villain?

Man, we've got to eat some major crow here. We were told at the beginning that Lyman was promised he could spend as much time as he felt on the game until HE thought it was done. We were told this over and over again. We were told he wasn't working on anything else. We were told repeatedly by George it would be completed to their satisfaction.

Yet the online rumor mill kept making shit up about him working on other games, him working on Elvira.

I mean, I get it, it took longer than we wanted, and for a while it was slow going. But here's Lyman talking about the leg work needed to watch and edit every single freaking episode.

I've learned my lesson to take a chill pill in the future. Either that or don't buy games on Day 1, which is a choice as well. But I'm very glad to be an LE owner.

3 weeks later
#9556 5 years ago

It's wild that we keep inching along version numbers with new modes added every time, and there is still a .10 left.

#9595 5 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Are there known problems with installing a shaker motor in this game ? I understood from a reseller that stern advised not too

My LE has a factory shaker.

#9598 5 years ago

I'll be installing the new code today. copying to USB now.

#9613 5 years ago

I'm hesitant to suggest anything, for fear it could be interpreted as not-appreciative as what is there already, which is absolutely not the case, but I'd love if we had a few non-Villain modes like Bat Turn. No idea if its in Lyman's road map or not, but he did surprise us with Bat Turn.

#9616 5 years ago

This game is certainly Lyman's Pinball Opus. He wanted to do something big with it, and is almost there. It's been a huge amount of time and work. I wonder if a project like this could ever happen again. It is a new standard that future games will be compared against.

#9681 5 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

Took me a while to figure it out. On your first ball before the plunge hold down the right flipper button until an episode title appears, press the left flipper button once to make the new show title appear. Let go of the buttons and repeat the process to select the other new episodes for each major villain.

I hate to say anything critical of the game, but this is not intuitive. Most people would have no idea to press the right button, and even when you do you're confused about how it will all work.

I wonder if a simpler way of handling this would be to make the Major Villains a "pick your episode" just like with the Minor Villains. So, basically, say you start Joker, you get an episode selection right then.

#9684 5 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

I like your idea, but it would only work if the magnet held on to your ball after you answer the phone long enough to make your selection. Nine out of ten times I answer the batphone the magnet fails to capture the ball.

ah, poop, you found a weakness in my idea.

The magnet is not reliable enough. Lyman is probably 2 steps ahead of us on this. and i thought i was so clever .

#9685 5 years ago

Perhaps its fine as it is then. Only "advanced" players would even want that much variety in the villains and they would know to swap it out in the start.

#9687 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm guessing the location and spread of the targets that trigger it will not let it be completely reliable.

That's my conclusion. Straight up physics, distance, speed, angles. The magnet probably attempts every single time but there's too many variables and the ball is out of reach.

#9690 5 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

I'd be cool with a menu option that can be set to randomize which villain's episode plays each game. Keep me guessing what I'll see 1st time through, as the 2nd time starting them will automatically play the other content.

I would find this acceptable.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but the "Secret code" isn't the only way to see the new modes. I think starting them a second time will play the other episode, right?

I likely need more time on the new version.

I was preoccupied with the "hold right button" thing.

#9696 5 years ago

Ok. Playing it some more I see that they are additional modes when you requalify a major villain. No need to hold the right button. I think that’s fine as is. The right button really seems useful just for testing.

1 month later
#10111 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

From a theme integration standpoint, it is the best game ever.

Hard to argue against this.

Quoted from jfh:

It's pretty much the only game I've played in the last six months

Pretty much the same for me.

1 month later
#10313 5 years ago

It's a very good game as it stands. The only reason it's unfinished is because of the ambition of Lyman's vision for the game.

1 week later
#10361 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sounds like we still have quite a bit more marvelous Batman code to come.

Wow.

2 months later
#11013 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Though that was apparently before Lyman really knew what he wanted to do with the game and I think George later clarified that was only an example of what they could do.

I think taunting would be neat but where would you use it in the current implementation? I don't see where it fits now.

Lyman's iterative process means some ideas never make the final game, but we get a ton more stuff he didn't conceive of at the start.

2 weeks later
#11203 5 years ago
Quoted from melumga:

I'm happy we get another multiball mode, but it's a shame that these modes will hardly ever be seen due to the difficulty of defeating a minor villain from each season. Any first-time or novice players will have next to no chance of getting to them (or even knowing how to get to them). I almost wish that the multiball mode choice was available after the standard locking of 3-balls into the turntable.

I agree. Finishing season 1,2,3 is a challenge for most people, and all that stuff is buried there. The main multiball would be a great place to put more multiballs.

1 week later
#11269 5 years ago

version .98... are we nearing the end of Lyman's vision?

#11271 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I was hoping for more callouts.

This could definitely still happen in his final passes.

#11274 5 years ago

I suspect 1.00 means roadmap = 100%, but he'll return to it to tweak it in the future as he normally does. Just don't expect any major content added past 1.0.

#11319 5 years ago

Is there a recommended way to do Minor Villains for us that suck?

#11357 5 years ago

Just had some great games on the latest code. What an amazing pinball game. I play to "see" the game, so I just cash in Villains as soon as I can, collect the phone, start modes. Score is secondary. Really cool how Lyman has developed the game.

Here is my sucktastic player strategy: I save all my gadgets and go hog wild on Mad Hatter season 1 so I can make sure he is completed, so I can restart minor villains in the game. Usually a lot of gadgets are collected in multiball, so I'll just play that and stock them up.

My same strategy goes for other minor villains when I get to them - cash the gadgets in quick and try to wrap it up. Major villains are less important since they don't end.

I did notice there was a game adjustment to give you more than 1 gadget for every button press but I think that is unnecessary.

I also saw sling power in the game features adjustments, for those discussing it.

#11358 5 years ago

Batman and Deadpool side by side. My 2 current favorite games.

IMG_0160 (resized).JPGIMG_0160 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#11446 5 years ago

I'm not a great player so I primarily work on 4 villains and only doing 1 episode each trying to get to the jailbreak multiball.

if TV mode lights up, I start with season 1 mad hatter, then try adding season 2, but i've never made it across 3 seasons.

Throw in the regular multiball into the mix.

#11465 5 years ago

Had my best game ever on 0.99. Man, this is such an awesome game. So much choice and variety.

#11499 5 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

I fixed it but noticed while the glass was off the main spinner seems to be making a rather loud noise when turning.

I'd have to go listen to mine again, but I don't hear anything unusual about yours.

There's a constant noise, and then as it spins a louder noise. I am not sure how all the gears work, but it's noisy.

4 months later
#12785 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The flyers and most of the Batman publicity photos have never been updated and are ‘wrong’.

I've seen this happen with other games. If you look up Star Trek, it still shows the original warp catapult, which was never in the final game. They seem to archive their initial announcement photos and never update them.

2 months later
#13588 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

What is the best guess as to how many BM66 machines were made?

Here are my guesses:

80 SLEs
240 LEs

Those 2 numbers are known.

The rest are guesses.

Pinside shows 389 pinsiders own the game.

If I guessed Premiums, it is:

250 regular premiums
100 Catwoman (by the time it's done)

670 total.

There is no way it is over 1000 games. This will be a very collectible game in the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
11,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 210.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
19,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mead, WA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.