087b86b5-22d3-4d40-a287-5f9841ff2489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9011 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

716 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nokoro. You are on page 3 of 3.
#9579 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You can de-magnetize balls by heating in an oven at 350-400 degrees for 45 mins.
Let them cool naturally.

Wow! Never knew that.

#9584 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im having a problem with my Winkie Target going down when it is supposed to. I can hear it clicking as the coil is firing but it doesnt drop. I feel like it happens on and off.
Any help is appreciated.

Can you confirm the coil is actually firing? Perhaps try in coil test mode with the playfield up so you can see.

If so, then it is likely something mechanical. Check it over and see if anything is catching. Is the spring intact? Etc.

#9586 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yea its firing. I can hear it clicking when its trying to lower the target during game play. During test, I can hear it firing as well.
The spring is attached because it goes down just fine when playing and the ball hits it. Its only when the game tries to lower it with a coil that it doesnt go down as it should.
To be honest, im not sure when the target is supposed to go down on its own haha. Its not even a big issue.. I dont think.

Ok. Next make sure it raises and goes down on its own in coil test mode. If it doesn’t go down in coil test mode, but the coil is definitely firing, then there is something wrong with the mechanical connection. I believe the coil triggers a little arm that pushes the drop target back causing it to fall, but I can’t look right now to make sure. You should be able to see the mechanism.

3 weeks later
#9693 4 years ago

Can we get back to happy thoughts?

So that Ruby Red edition is a nice looking game, right?

#9698 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It just looks like the wall is too low. I don't have that version, so I'm not sure how it connects, but can you put some washers where it mounts to raise it up 1-2mm? That'd probably be enough...

A small piece of weather stripping also works well to lift the castle wall just enough. That’s what I’ve used.

3 weeks later
#9811 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok, whats the trick for getting the battery out for replacement? Ive tried every tape imaginable and it wont budge...

There’s a little tab that you have to pull back with your finger nail, and then it just pops out. Watch out for the whirring fan blade. It really cuts, as I learned the hard way.

#9832 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Gotcha. Thanks again.
I felt like a complete moron last night trying to get that out lol.

You're not alone. It took me a while to figure out. Once you figure it out though, you're like d'oh!

#9840 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

No it was not the crystal ball mode. Single ball on the playfield, shot from the Throne room bam right into no hold flippers instantly. Seemed similar to the no hold flipper punishment for exploiting the left flipper backflip to Crystal ball. Except I was not doing that.

Maybe your CB switch is acting up, and it registered three times on its own? Just a guess, but perhaps check the optos (I think they’re optos), make sure they are properly aligned and not being triggered from vibration.

2 weeks later
#9891 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I appreciate the responses guys...thank you. There's one fs in IL that was professionally upgraded to 2.0. Do you guys think that to be inferior and more prone to trouble vs a later model with 2.0 factory installed?

You should be good.

3 weeks later
#9959 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

What does the opto on the rail ramp at the exit of the castle pf do? Its probably going to be a duh question but I can’t figure it out.

I’m pretty sure it tells the pin to stop playing oh eee oh ohhhh oh, and start being in normal playfield mode, but I haven’t tested it.

#9960 4 years ago

Probably also useful for MB to tell the pin to stop having 2x scoring for a ball on both playfields.

#9977 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

Can someone describe how the wikie target correct funciotion would be ? E.g
-first rescue 2 hits
-2nd recue multiball 3 hits
I hit mine once and went down, I supposed it needed two shots. Them during there is no place like home it went up right away.
Not sure if it ir a malfunction because it is not trying to reset ... any ideas ?
the switch on the down position is registering, not sure if could be the up position.

It is supposed to be up in No Place Like Home mode because you don’t use the upper playfield.

Winkie hits are variable, and I’m not sure they necessarily go in order. I’m pretty sure I’ve only needed one hit at times.

It sounds like yours is functioning normally unless I’m missing something.

#9986 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Yes...they're all firing. The one to the far left was stuck on the side of the playfield but I dremeled the edge down...they all work great. It's just weird that the ball flies through the forest when you have an orbit shot without hitting any bumpers. I tried changing the post rubber to a little larger one thinking that might divert it more toward a pop with no success.

So, on a right orbit or plunge, the ball just sails out the left side without hitting any pops? That is weird.

I do know that my metal ball guide on that exit side is bent out slightly. Came from the factory that way. Perhaps it was an adjustment to prevent that issue that was never made on yours by mistake. Call JJP and see what they say, assuming they are around. Or maybe LTG knows.

#9992 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

The pops work as they should. When a ball hits one they bounce around among the three as they should, but the problem is that the ball goes straight through the opening without touching any of them.

Then I would revisit my post. Perhaps take a video if you can of the ball exiting to really make sure it is not hitting any of the pops. The other thing you could try is adding a small piece of felt tape at the exit side of the metal ball guide. That might slow the ball down and divert the ball enough to hit the pops.

#9995 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

The pops work as they should. When a ball hits one they bounce around among the three as they should, but the problem is that the ball goes straight through the opening without touching any of them.

I just played a game, and the ball always hits the left bumper on both fast and slow shots through the orbit. If you are sure it is not touching it at all, then I would check the position of the metal ball guide and level of your playfield. If it is touching it, even if just slightly, but not triggering the bumper, then you need to adjust the switch as stated.

#9999 4 years ago
Quoted from Gamer85:

Really? interesting..

Yes. It helps with strategy to get a haunted mode going if you can time it correctly or do it off a plunge.

#10000 4 years ago

And 10,000!!!!

1 week later
#10032 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Nobody has ever been of help to you?? Thats too bad. Many, many people on pinside have been helpful in general it seems.

I think he’s joking.

#10036 4 years ago

While we’re praising LTG , I will add that he offered me repair advice on one of my first posts on my first pin when I was really in over my head nearly 6 years ago. Without that advice, and the advice of others over the years, I never would have stayed in this hobby, and certainly wouldn’t have had the courage to buy more pins, like WOZ, that I own today.

#10041 4 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Ok, so all this amazing talk about Lloyd. Maybe he can help. My crystal ball is “lagging”. The videos that are supposed to play are playing late. Meaning they don’t match up to gameplay. I have reseated all cables, flashed a new sd card image (thanks to harryhoudini for the image), and even updated the software to run 7.02. Still lagging. Where do I go from here?

I don’t think it is uncommon to lag. It is an imperfect toy that was a cool idea but execution never really matched expectation. However, if it is significantly lagging all the time, that might be something.

2 weeks later
#10152 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

How can you possibly keep track of all the goals in this game!? I barely could keep track in tspp and this game makes tspp look like fish tales. Lol

Watch this. It really helps and is a good tutorial.

#10155 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Oh I did already. Thank you! This is obviously slightly older code, as he blatantly back handed the crystal ball shot over and over, which has now been thwarted.
By the way, that series of multiballs at the crystal ball confuses me. Every "award" is like, "hey, here's a multiball. Go fuck yourself." Lol

It is risk / reward. Every crystal ball MB rewards you with 2x playfield scoring but also punishes you with something like weak flippers or no hold flippers, etc. Try to stack them with another MB like emerald city and also a munchkin mode like munchkin frenzy. Crazy points that way.

1 week later
#10200 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I picked up (first pin) for 7500 BOD nov 2015...I fixed a couple issues but am taking it downstairs soon and will have a local tech dial it up as I am new to this .Was wondering what is a moderate $ per hour for a tech to come out .I know parts I need and what they cost I just want to make sure guy is not gouging me as I do a lot of remodel work for people and I’m fair to all.Thanks for input n yes this game is great !! I’m sorr to NIB buyers but I was glad to see this game stretch to 10,500 new .I was worried I overpaid .

What still needs fixing? It may be simple, and we can talk you through it. Or if you’re not comfortable, we may be able to tell you how involved it would be for a tech to fix.

#10209 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Sorr fell asleep last night busy all day .The wizard works with what it’s supposed to do but doesn’t light up .The crystal ball worked when first home but nothing at all now.The NB stays red on rainbow .I tried quick unplugs with nothing. I have to check lighting wires on wizard ,I’m guessing LED control board on rainbow and crystal ball have no idea ...I’ll finally have time to dive in this weekend any help will be greatly appreciated .

Wizard: you may need a new LED strip. This is a common failure point for some as I’ve read in this thread.

CB: search this thread. Others have had to deal with this. You may need to reseat the connectors and SD card.

NB on rainbow: unfortunately, you probably need a new board from JJP. This will require removing the munchkin playfield to replace which is a little involved but totally doable, and there are great instructions in the manual. You are likely not on the 2.0 lighting system which means you may have board failures from time to time. You can upgrade but it costs $800 and takes about 12-14 hours of your time. I did it, and I’m not very handy. But if you are new to pinball, it can seem like a big lift at first. The 2.0 system uses phone like data cables to go to each board. The earlier lighting system uses other data cables which travel from board to board in series and have green or red sharpie marks on the connectors.

#10213 4 years ago

You dont have to remove the munchnin PF to replace the rainbow board.
It comes of pretty easy, but the little rubber holders are tricky to reinstall without damaging them.

Didn’t know that. I stand corrected.

I do agree with you about the rubber standoffs. I hate those things.

#10247 4 years ago

WOZ stops being floaty when you up the pitch and increase the flipper strength. My WOZ is fast and brutal.

I go back and forth between games. Right now, I’m on a WOZ kick again in terms of what I’m playing. I’m reminded every time I turn it on and plunge a ball just what a masterpiece it is.

#10253 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I dont know if I believe pitch or flipper strength has anything to do with it. Id say is a design of the game. Theres two orbits and 1 ramp, and the rest is almost target hitting.

If by floaty, you mean stop and go as opposed to flow, then I agree with you. However, if you mean slow moving ball, then pitch and flipper strength can affect that dramatically, and a little adjustment will go a long way.

#10265 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I mean stop and go...

Ah, then you and I agree. Some have used the term floaty in the past to describe how it has been set up at shows, where the flipper strength is often lowered, and the game is not that fast. But, yeah, WOZ is stop and go. No debating that.

1 week later
#10330 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

The game was designed for the ruby slippers to flip 3x randomly, not every time.

I didn’t know it was intentionally random. That’s interesting. I always assumed it was a bug, the fact that the slippers didn’t do this every time, that they never bothered to fix.

#10338 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Mine did it every time. Now they never do. It is certainly odd.

Well, since others say it is random, I guess your luck has taken a turn for the worse. I wouldn’t play the lottery for a while.

1 week later
#10356 3 years ago

My games with WOZ either last 2 min or 20 min.

#10382 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

How do you get this high with the horses ? I thought they were giving little points when you go to collect.

A successful collection of horses — meaning all the same color or all different colors — will multiply your munchkin score at bonus collection time. So, for instance, if you happen to start a MB while you have munchkin frenzy going and let’s say a crystal ball mode as well, then every switch hit is banking points at 2x frenzy value to be awarded at bonus time. Now let’s say you have also successfully collected horses on that ball. Then that munchkin bonus gets multiplied even further. I believe my highest bonus was 400,000 doing something like that. Doctor6 bonus of 800,000 is even better and doable if you get extremely lucky like this.

#10385 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Thank you ! I had no idea, it's too early to turn the game on, one of the moments where I wish I had a man cave, but I can't wait to try and finally get some big scores.

Just wait until you build up a huge bonus only to tilt and see this displayed: “Bonus Lost 340,000”.

#10387 3 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

I took the plumb bob right out of the game. Yes, there's a brief error message on start up,but would rather nudge the game more for longer ball times,more fun.

I always find nudging to be more challenging with WOZ. The thing is so darn heavy.

#10392 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Well no wonder my Glenda switch wasn't working. Does anyone know where this white wire goes and does it have to soldered or is there another "easier" way?[quoted image]

Looks like it goes on the bottom metal lug in your picture. You will need to remove the old solder, put the wire in, and solder it back in place with the bottom leg of that diode. Use a heat sink on that diode leg when you are doing it so as to not damage the diode.

#10401 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Just curious would a test lead connected to the diode leg be a sufficient heat sink?

I’m not sure but if you search for one on amazon, there are a few options all about $5-7. Here is what I use:

Heat Sink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VNUZYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_y9pYEbKX9V3TD

#10413 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Glad you’re stoked! It’s fun to read enthusiastic posts like yours. Lots of folks probably aren’t answering your “what was your first pin and do you still have it” question here because this is a club thread, reserved mainly for talking about WOZ. Answering a fun question like that here tends to derail the thread. Your question is perfectly suited for being its own topic. Start a new topic then circle back and post a link to it here!

A question for this thread might be: What pin in your collection is never leaving? And, the answer, of course, is WOZ!

#10426 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Considering a ECLE with light boards that are 7.5 revision 2.
We're there issues with these that will eventually require the 2.0 kit upgrade?

Likely you will have issues eventually. When and how often seems to be very game and location dependent. I had issues every winter when the air became dry and staticky before I upgraded to 2.0.

#10432 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

With 7.5 rev 2, if a light went out, could you simply replace that single light/board?

Yes, but the larger light boards are $200 +/- each. The small GI ones are about $20-30 each. If you have issues, you’ll get sick of replacing them and spending that money. The upgrade is $800 and about 12-14 hours of your time. It is not too bad, though. Just time consuming. I broke it up over a few weekends and actually had some fun doing it. Just make sure the pin is priced appropriately for having the older lighting system.

#10439 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m having trouble with the ball getting stuck under the house somewhere usually coming down the lanes.I have machines right side up against a wall couldn’t see it .Its been happening alot.When I get home from work tonight I’m gonna open up and have a look besides any hanging cables does anyone know some things I should look for thanks a bunch.

Make sure you are using fresh carbon steel balls. When my balls get magnetized, they hang up there more often.

#10444 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m not sure to tell you the truth.The guy I bought from said they were the original balls.Thank You I’ll look into that too.

If you’re new to pinball, one tip is to swap out the balls every ~500 games plus or minus. They can get dinged which causes playfield wear.

Also, carbon steel balls (as opposed to chrome steel) are better for games with magnets as they retain magnetism less. They can still get slightly magnetized over time, which is why swapping them out every so often helps.

#10460 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Don't get the expensive balls. They magnetize very quickly.
You might take a look at this sight I just found on a google.
Can't speak to them as a retailer (anybody had experience with Ball Baron?) but there is some good info.
https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

They’re a very responsive retailer and pretty good balls. I buy from there. They’re not as good as the pinballlife oh so shiny balls that you used to be able to get, but alas, those appear to be no more.

#10510 3 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

[quoted image]

Someone grabbed the wrong sticker by mistake.

1 week later
#10565 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've just spent the last 11 hours installing the 2.0 light boards and it made a big improvement.

11 hours might be a record. Congratulations!

Can anyone beat that? I spent ~14 hours so not me.

#10567 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

@Hogbogged did it in 6 which I was trying to beat

He should call Guinness.

#10569 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well, trying to speed up the process is what led me to make a mistake and kill my crystal ball, so...

Ok. So in all fairness, you need to add the repair time back into your total.

#10584 3 years ago

First just go into switch test mode and press the switches to see if they work. It could just be that you haven’t hit them in some time as Bmanpin said.

#10585 3 years ago

The castle VUK is likely an opto. Stick a pencil in it when in switch test mode to see if it triggers. Keep coin door open while you’re doing this.

#10588 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Not sure what opto means or where to poke it .Im going to try again tonight when home I cleared the tnplh the others for castle no luck .Im working on my pinball lingo Lmao

An opto is an optical switch that emits a light on one side and has a sensor on another. When you break the beam, so to speak, it triggers.

I always get confused with what closed means for an opto. I think it means that the beam is not broken. So likely same issue. You haven’t nailed the shot behind the castle doors in a while. Stick a pencil in the VUK hole to try to trigger it.

#10594 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

How many production runs of the RR woz were there? Are they all the same or are the newer runs better somehow? thanks

Only difference I am aware of is that the newer runs have the 2.0 lighting system. Not sure which date they switched.

#10625 3 years ago

Not normal. Are you getting good plunges? If not, check out my posts #2129 and #2348.

#10627 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Plunges seem fine - I'm able to skill shot to the OZ lanes, short-plunge to the upper flipper or rocket it through the orbit as I wish. Just sometimes there's a smack.

Is the e clip on the shooter tip hitting the metal housing that has the lines indicating strength of plunge. If so, you may have to tighten the lockdown bar against the cabinet or check to see if anything has gotten bent.

#10631 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, nothing like that, the shooter is fine. It's just the ball striking something in the upper right of the machine.

Last idea. Is the lower right corner of your munchkin playfield screwed down too tight, and is the ball hitting the edge of the cliffy? That happened to me once a long time ago. But, perhaps that’s not the right area that you’re describing.

If not, I give up.

#10664 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Guys. Everything works great all the other times. The coils are all working great. The switches all register. It is just on a multiplayer game every once in a while it simple doesn't know better. Ther than that only diverter coil works 100% of the time. Only happened twice which makes it much harder to pinpoint. I was thinking it could be software related, perhaps.
EDIT: I have a theory. In an attempt to eliminate the random extra ball slipping out when the ball lock let one go, I reduced the coil power.... I wonder if it is too low and maybe all three balls pushing against the gate is what is happening. I will try to increase the coil power and see of that's what is happening.

I’m pretty sure Lloyd has posted somewhere in here about other ways for ensuring the arm has strength enough to lift when three balls are being held behind it. There may be a mechanical adjustment to make as well, but I would have to defer to LTG

#10676 3 years ago
Quoted from arqpuebla:

Greatings!
I own a first edition of woz, (with the problematic gi boards) and I have someone to want to buy it.
The question is, YBR? Or RR?
Can't find a side by side comparition. I know ybr has no monkey.
What I should do? Seek for a RR? Or just buy a YBR?
Thank you very much fo your input.

They’re both beautiful machines, but if you have hope of finding a RR with the 2.0 light boards, I would go for that.

Aside from the cosmetic differences, it really does come down to the monkey mech, which I happen to like a lot.

#10714 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Thanks! I'm not great at reading directions from a manual. Are there any videos on how to remove the upper PF to get at the door mechanism underneath? Kind of like the JJP upper sling rubber replacement video? That was very helpful today. But I still think a 2" rubber there is way too tight and maybe why they keep breaking on this game?!
I'd hate to take a bunch of stuff off that doesn't need to come off.

The directions come with diagrams and are very detailed. No video that I know of.

#10733 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Also my left tree bumper doesn’t seem to work again

Does the coil work in test mode? Does the switch register in test mode? If the switch doesn’t register, check if the wires are connected and haven’t broken loose from that switch and others in the same column on the switch matrix. A common switch for the wires to break off is the skill shot target, as the wire can snag when you are raising and lowering the playfield. This can take out other switches in that same column.

#10737 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I've had that a lot too. It took me a bunch of times to figure how to hold it when lowering the playfield.
An easy way to see if that's your problem is to remove the glass and tap on the tree, if he doesn't move it means he is stuck against the cabinet. In that case you shouldn't wait for your next tech visit, I'm worried it might bend the bracket if it stays stuck too long.

Or, it could hit the rail and possibly send 70v into your switch matrix frying your I/O board. Please see this post for something that everyone should check next time they lift the playfield:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/149#post-4983796

#10742 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man what would I do without pinside . Replacing that sound box with a new version mentioned here from amazon fixed that , the left tree was stuck on the cabinet I think now it’s free !
Ah but now I have a nonfunctioning rescue e switch

Are you sure it doesn’t function? If it came up in a test report, it probably just means you haven’t hit it in a while. Go into switch test mode and check.

#10776 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I saw a metal decorative strip that covers the bare wood edge above the rainbow targets for sale... somewhere. Anyone know it's sold?
Any other MUST HAVE mods?

It is indeed a protective cliffy for the munchkinland playfield. It is probably the only absolutely necessary cliffy in the game. Without it, that playfield is at serious risk of getting chipped at any time.

#10791 3 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Just got my WOZ YBR. What a beautiful machine and what a difficult game! Can someone post links of some good “How-To” videos for gameplay? Thanks!

This is the best I know of. Takes you through all the rules right up to the final wizard mode. And, there’s a surprise ending if I remember correctly.

#10796 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

If I’m reading this right if I have a 7.5 and one led board goes out then I have to upgrade whole set ?

No. You can buy replacement 7.5 boards from JJP. But, they are expensive and prone to failure. The upgrade kit avoids having the issue reoccur frequently.

#10818 3 years ago

Also, as long as we're talking magnets, my Glinda and Dorothy magnet under the house exit sometimes doesn't activate properly. For example, sometimes after saving the ball via completing TNPLH, the ball will just keep rolling after dropping through the spinning house exit hole. Not always, just sometimes. Any idea why?

Watch the ball as it exits. Does it drop in the same place each time, or does it sometimes get dropped a bit to the left? If the latter, this is an issue with how that upper playfield is leveled. You can tighten the nut on the right hand side that holds the playfield to the support posts, or loosen the nuts on the left just a bit. This will tilt the playfield slightly more to the right, making the ball more consistently land where it is supposed to and be caught by the magnet.

#10842 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I haven't had any issues with the bilbo ramp in my woz.

Only certain WOZs built after December 2017 came with the bilbo ramp. It was the special Smaug Emerald edition.

#10844 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

And apologies as I posted in wrong thread.

We know. We’re just giving you a hard time in a friendly way.

3 weeks later
#10944 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Humm... now I'll have to pay attention to the Bonus recap at the end of the ball better. I am fairly sure, on more than one WoZ, I've not gotten bonus multipliers while completing the lanes many times. No real video elements going on at the same time. Would be nice to have tilts and bonus shown on the screen fulltime.

The bonus multiplier is not very lucrative for WOZ as it doesn’t apply to parts of your bonus like munchkin mode points. What is much more lucrative is the HOADC multiplier.

#10955 3 years ago

I have a 10 second ball save which is generous, I know. But there were too many times when the ball came out of the pops on the first plunge to go straight to an outlane that I wanted something.

#10959 3 years ago

The other thing to note is that the WOZ ball save doesn’t go away if you drain like DI or other games. It lasts for the full time you set it for. Unfortunately, I’ve had it trigger a few times in a row when I’ve been particularly unlucky.

3 weeks later
#11020 3 years ago

Can someone make this a key post?

The WOZ thread is seriously lacking in key posts. There is so much knowledge in here that’s hard to find.

1 week later
#11162 3 years ago

Melt the Witch is one of the best wizard mode / mini wizard modes in pinball. The sounds, images, lighting are all just terrific. And the mode itself is an exhilarating rush. Difficult to complete but not impossible. I melt her a couple of times a year, and finishing the mode is extremely satisfying with well done fan fare.

#11184 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Also the game plays a little floaty. Do you all have your games jacked up? There is probably a half inch left on the leg levelers in the back.

Up the flipper power and raise the pitch a bit. Mine is fast and difficult. Set it to match your taste.

1 week later
#11268 3 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Would like some input please. In the attached picture there is pooling under "There's no place like home" in the left bottom corner. Would this cause any hesitation on your part as a buyer? This is the only thing wrong I've seen on the entire game. Going to look at it shortly for purchase. Appreciate any input!!
[quoted image]

Are you talking about under the word “There’s”?

You sure that’s not some weird reflection or artifact in the picture?

1 week later
#11303 3 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I never was good at collecting the horses, guess that is something to work on. I posted on this before but when you have a killer game it would be nice for it to record gems/jewels you collected.

The collect horse shot is exceedingly difficult, for a reason — it is very powerful. The best I’ve done at it is during MB, if you have two balls cradled on the right flipper, a quick flip can send one up and through to collect.

1 week later
#11309 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Just got a WoZ RR manufacture date 2015. #392 being shipped. Does anyone know if this version came with Invisiglass and shaker? Thanks.

I believe all RR versions had both. Mine did.

1 week later
#11329 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

With all due respect. Then you replace it or you fix it and you move on. Any of these games could break in the middle of something epic.

This topic has been discussed to death, but there are those that had very few problems and those that had a lot. I had multiple boards fail every winter. Simply keeping the old boards going wasn’t really a very good solution long term.

#11331 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm still stuck below 1 million so I've been training more on getting Horse collect.
My main problem is still the chaos during the Emerald multiball, I can't keep an eye on the mini playfield without losing the balls on the playfield.
What's your technique to keep an eye on everything ? I know it's a broad question but I'm still trying to control the panic.

If you have balls on one of the mini playfields and balls on the main playfield, focus on the mini. You’ll be able to see, with your peripheral vision, when the balls on the main playfield get near your flippers so not so hard to keep them in play, though you won’t really be able to aim your shots that way.

Really getting points is all about stacking. Try as much as possible to get a MB going with a munchkin mode and with a 2x crystal ball mode.

#11333 3 years ago

I was reading through the thread for tips on the haunted forest shot and not seeing much. Then I was looking around the settings and say this: Bumper Kill Availability. This should be a huge help being able to turn off the bumpers once the collect is lit. Didnt know this was possible!
[quoted image]

Correct. Often if a haunted mode is ready, you can hold both flippers on the plunge and get it in there. Otherwise, it is just a matter of timing when the ball is in the bumpers.

1 week later
#11376 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah... often. When two balls are on the left flipper, you can back hand it all day long 100%. But from the right flipper, I'd say I have about a 70% chance of it going in on a clean shot.

Try back handing it three times in a row without hitting any other switches and see what happens.

#11406 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

What do you use to clean the right ramp ? I bought a novus 1 a while ago but never used it. I read here and there that's it's scratchy.

Novus 2 has abrasive. Novus 1 does not. Honestly Novus 2 is fine for ramps as well. It won’t scratch it up. Perhaps polish it a little. How dirty is yours?

#11408 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

It has some ball traces, they don't come off with the polish.
I guess I'll try the novus 1 then

Novus 2 followed by Novus 1 might work a bit better. Novus 2 shouldn’t scratch a ramp but polish it. Novus 1 is a bit of a finisher. These products were made for polishing plastic.

1 week later
#11462 3 years ago

You can increase the brightness of the LEDs in settings. I found when I put 2.0 on the max setting, it was no different than the old version 1 boards. Some people say the GI is a bit dimmer though. I haven’t noticed all that much but GI is just dim on WOZ in general.

#11467 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Are you sure? I thought the LED settings were for inserts only? Those I dont need any brighter.

Sorry. I think you might be right. I misread your post.

Yes, the inserts are definitely just as bright, especially if you up them in the settings. The GI might be a different story, but it never bothered me, and you can always add some spotlights to brighten things up.

3 weeks later
#11526 3 years ago

getting 7 of 8 emeralds is pretty common.

Common? Maybe for the best. I don’t think I’ve gotten over 3 in years of playing.

#11535 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

An easy question for the wizards here.
Sporadically (sometimes feels frequent, other times it's ages between occurrences), during a game, many of the PF lights will freeze on with some apparently random color.
This is always remedied by power cycling the machine. (I haven't found another method to get them to behave.)
I have a vague recollection of seeing posts about needing to fuss with(?) a set of cables (where they plug into the computer?).
ECLE SN 0196, very early run (first run?), 5V light boards w/ a couple 7.5V boards in there.
Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction!
-Jason
PS--This issue has been here & there for some time, but I melted the witch today (have done a handful of times, but certainly not frequently) & didn't get the full light show, so that was the last straw for me!

Look in the manual for the diagram showing the light boards and how the data lines run from one to the other in series. Identify your last working board. Reseat all cables on that board and the next one downstream. If that doesn’t fix it, try bypassing either board by following the directions in the manual. One of those boards will very likely be faulty and need to be replaced.

It might be time to consider an upgrade to the 2.0 lighting system.

#11540 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

ltg , nokoro
Thanks for the replies, but the request is to aid in finding the info about the trick to adjust a cable when a light board temporarily goes out.
I tried searching but failed.
(No need to bypass a bad board--there is no bad board--the locked lights are random & different every time, happen only occasionally, & all is well after a restart.)
(Can't go to 2.0 boards at this time.)
Thank you!
-Jason

Hopefully, it is just a cable, but I had the exact same thing happen, and it was one of my boards starting to fail.

#11555 3 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Do any of the online stores sell the tiny-tiny adjustment hex bolts used to adjust the witch switch mech? Do they have a name/size?
thanks I lost one

I’m pretty sure I’ve bought from Bolt Depot in the past when I need an odd screw. The only issue is you pay .20 cents for the screw and $7 for shipping if I remember correctly. But I think they have everything.

#11558 3 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

is there a consensus on which version is the best? looking to add one to my collection. I heard Ruby Red 2.0 is where it's at, is that true?

As an owner of a RR converted to 2.0, I say yes. But in all honesty, they are all good. You can’t go wrong. The RR versions probably have the most bling, but other versions have cool stuff like yellow sparkle on the playfield (YBR) or wooden apron (ECLE). The only thing to really be aware of is that the YBR lacks the monkey mech, and that not getting 2.0 could lead to more unreliable light boards.

#11568 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

Does YBR have the 2.0 boards? Not sure what you meant by not getting 2.0? Thanks.

Yes it does. Sorry for the confusion. I meant that to be a separate statement and not tied to the YBR statement.

1 week later
#11605 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

If they ran RR again do you honestly thing they'd drop the price to below YBR??? I seriously doubt it! If anything it would likely be higher than YBR as they are re-adding the monkey mech...

Didn’t they already rerun RRs after YBR came out at the lower price point, or am I mistaken?

#11611 3 years ago

Let's have some fun to see who has the better average here -- I know it won't be me. (This only works if you are the primary player on your machine.)

Go into audits and post:

(a) Total number of games played.
(b) Total number of Witch Battles.
(c) Total number of Witch Battle Wins.

Here are mine:

(a) 2447
(b) 130
(c) 7

I thought I was better than I was.

#11626 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I am definitely the main player but I have hosted leagues and the children always gravitate to WOZ during holiday parties. Excuses aside I thought I had better numbers than this too! Sure seems like I've beaten her more than 37 times, it's such a rush that I usually suck at the MB that follows because of it.
a) 2007
b) 242
c) 37

Those numbers are pretty good.

I think the MB is one of the more brutal ones out there. Only two balls, short ball saver, and just so so much pressure.

#11706 3 years ago

Well, it’s been years since I got my machine and have never greased the rods. I suppose it is time to do some preventative greasing. I just ordered some superlube. How much do I apply, and do I apply it to the whole threaded rod, or just in one place and then move the monkey back and forth to work it’s way in?

#11713 3 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

My tin man rollover button rarely registers. It works when I test the switch but it takes a harder push then the other ones. How do I adjust it to be more sensitive then when I adjust the leaf switch? Do I slightly bend the long leaf closet to the playfield down away from the playfield or do I bend the shorter lower leaf up towards the playfield? Or something else all together? Thanks in advance for the help!

I don’t think it matters. I usually do whatever works just to get the round contacts on the leafs closer together but not so close that the switch triggers from the vibration of the flippers. Pinballlife.com sells a nice leaf switch adjustment tool that makes adjusting easier.

#11715 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The long one should be just touching the rollover button. The shorter one below it close enough so a ball hit triggers it yet vibration doesn't.
Make any adjustments as close to the leaf blade base where it screws on. The closer you adjust to the end that makes electrical contact you end up driving yourself nuts trying to keep it adjusted.
LTG : )

Much better said than me.

1 week later
#11784 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Help! How do I melt the witch? I have gotten there twice and one ball drains in 5 secs as I am trying to figure out what to hit. Thx!

Hit the white or red shots. White is worth more but they count the same towards the goal. You need to hit four of them.

After you do that, the drop target will come down. Hit a ball into the saucer behind the drop target. It will “lock” there starting a timer. You then have to hit the other ball up the ramp. The diverter will send it down the munchkin playfield and to the upper flipper. You then have to hit the witch, thereby melting her.

Good luck!

#11791 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Sadly, ALL JJP games suffer from too little gi. wonka has 7 or 8 total gi bulbs! Why does JJP cheap out on the gi? Doing so makes way for places like pinstadium to follow through.
Sad that after spending almost $10k on a JJP game, we need to spend another $500 on a pinstadium fusion neo because JJP won't adequately light their very expensive pinball games.

My DI has plenty of light. I haven’t seen it in person, but I would venture GnR does as well.

#11804 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Added some side art and pinstadium omegas to my Emerald City just now, which along with Titan rubbers are my three must-do mods on every modern game that doesn't have them. WoZ really benefits from extra light. First game with the new lights, got my #1 (not GC) score. People taking about the PS lights blowing out the table, but you can adjust the brightness. I think I have mine at 65%.
[quoted image]
Anyone still sell the stand-up decals?

That’s a great photo. Looks like you have plenty of light but still keeps the dark mood.

#11826 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The munchkin playfield cliffy prevents the damage but will not cover the damage that has already happened on the top from chipping artwork. In other words, once the damage caused by the ball striking the edge of the playfield has happened it is visible even with the cliffy installed. The cliffy prevents the damage from ever happening.

Agreed. I would highly recommend installing at least that one. It should be considered mandatory. And, it looks stock; doesn’t take away from the look at all. You won’t regret installing it, but it is very likely you will regret not installing it sometime soon.

#11843 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

That is good. I have the board set from JJP that cost $800. So I can just replace the ones that need it.
What is the best grease for the Monkey?
Thanks!

To be clear, the $800 board set that it sounds like you bought is likely the 2.0 board set. Those cannot be swapped for version 1 boards. Did you in fact buy the 2.0 conversion kit to do an upgrade someday?

#11854 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks Guys!
Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I was reading that it some people 12 hours to do the Light kit.

Break it up over 2-3 weekends. Much less daunting that way, and you are less prone to making mistakes if you take breaks. I’m not that handy. If I can do it, most people can.

#11898 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It is really tight over there. I’ll check that too. Thanks! It worked and didn’t work all while sitting up on the rails. Basically just stopped working right as I was triggering the skirt.
On the bright side, I melted the witch on the one game I played after it started working!

One piece of preventative maintenance you may want to do is wrap the bracket and lugs for the skill shot leaf switch in electrical tape. Mine would make contact with the rail, and one day when the left bumper fired, it also made contact with the rail sending high voltage into the switch matrix through that skill shot switch and frying my I/O board. A rare event to be sure, but it can’t hurt to protect against it especially if you are already having some issues with that area.

#11912 3 years ago

Curious if anyone on here has the pindemption dongle for any of their home use pins? Seems like it could be a neat way to play a quick game with friends but I don’t even see it listed on JJPs store (although I know a lot of items you have to call about). Anyone have experience with the pindemption software and/or have one for sale? Thanks

I have one. It was a neat way to play for about a couple of weeks, but haven’t used that option since. I do think it is good if you want to set up the game for a casual, non-pin head to play. There are some easy to achieve goals, and you can set it for unlimited balls within a certain time period. Whereas the regular rules can be intimidating on this pin for a novice. But, because I rarely have other people over to play, especially during COVID, it hasn’t been used.

#11923 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You know, the one thing I dislike about WOZ is the nasty metallic SMACK that frequently happens on plunge.
If there's anything that can be done about that, I would like to do it.

Felt tape in the shooter lane helped me with inconsistent plunges:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/47#post-3372442

#11938 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I have inconsistent plunges as well and after slo-mo vids and observing it closely, the ball is making contact in the same areas where you have felt tape. Did you find that this corrected the problem?

Yes, though I probably need to redo it as the felt flattens over time and has less of an effect. If you compare the WOZ shooter lane with others, it has a longer area that is flat (no groove) and allows a lot of ball wobble. The felt tape lessens the wobble and seems to slow it down just enough. When I first installed it, if I remember correctly, I went from like <50% consistent plunges to 80-90% consistent plunges. As I said, I probably need to redo it, as the consistency has lessened over time.

#11949 3 years ago
Quoted from robey99:

I really love the look of the ybr but it is missing the monkey. Has anyone tried making a 75th into ybr? I assume you just could clear coat the wire forms, legs, rails, lockdown, etc. maybe buy a translite and apron if available. I know it does not have the radcals. If anyone has attempted, do you have any pics. Thanks.

I don’t think you could replicate the sparkly yellow on the playfield.

#11961 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

It's tough for me to comprehend written instructions as my brain has been increasingly malfunctioning as time goes on. So a video or 2 would be helpful.
I hear it's a pretty lengthy install.
r/
Mike

I think it would be hard to document the whole thing on video as it is a 12-14 hour process. The written instructions are very good. However, if you do eventually do the upgrade and find yourself not following them or stuck, I’m sure there’s several of us — myself included — who have done it and wouldn’t mind getting on FaceTime or some other app with you to see where you are and guide you through that step the best we can.

#12008 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Hi Everyone
Have my first problem with my WOZ. Turned the game on, lights working normally. In about 20 minutes or so the lights were flickering like lightning bolts, then would go from working normally for a minute, then flicker. I seem to remember another pinsider with the same problem, but can't find the post. About to lift the playfield up, does this most likely be a cable problem or a board failure?

When I had this problem, it was a light board. Though it could be a cable. Start by reseating the cables on the last working board and the next one downstream. See if that helps. If not, start following the manual about how to bypass light boards to find the faulty one.

#12011 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Thank you my friend. Only problem is with all the arching from the lights it's difficult to find the last working board. Man I hope its a cable - only have 700 total plays on the thing! Will start diving in tomorrow. Do you recall what board it was that crapped out on yours? Will probably be my starting point if looking for a board failure. Oh the pain, the pain...

Mine was the very first board in the chain that was bad so it affected pretty much everything. I forget which one, and can’t look in the manual right now. (Perhaps WOZ6 ??) If you have trouble telling, perhaps take a video and post and we can help.

Good luck! I feel your pain.

#12046 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You are correct the stock is black. But this game is visually improved by using other colors for the rubbers. These are the colors I use on my RRWOZ.
The GITD color goes extremely well with many area on this playfield.
I do have black under the apron, next to the witch and the minipost in the above area.
Also black on either side of the castle door hole, but these rubbers don't really need replacement, they are not listed in the manual and are not in the pic below.
[quoted image]

That’s a cool picture. Now, show us your full WOZ.

#12049 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Well I spoke too soon, problem is back. Space heater not on. Took video and will upload to you tube since I don't know how to upload directly to pinside and I'll paste link. Was wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Yeah, I was wondering if it would be back. I had a similar intermittent problem with a board. Rebooting the game helped, but only for so long. Eventually, I just needed a new board. I suppose it could be a cable, but if reseating them doesn’t help, then I would follow the instructions in the manual and start bypassing the boards to see if it is actually a board that is the issue. Sorry. It will be a bit of a pain, but you’ll figure it out.

#12058 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Here's the link
Turned game on this morning, like the other day it acted up for a second, then worked normally. Tried hitting playfield with my fist, no change. A few hours later in attract mode it started up....

I think it is WOZ 6, same one I had an issue with. That one appears to be working, but all others are not. WOZ 6 is the first one in the line. Try bypassing it. If not that one, then try the next one down.

#12074 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Love the game, but this doesn’t make me want to pay 8K for a pile of issues..... was considering getting one, but will pass now. Take it off my wishlist too.

The only reason you are hearing about more issues with WOZ is that there are more mechs than most other pins. Some need adjustment. Really, the only things to really worry about IMO are the very early runs with playfield issues and the ones that use the non-2.0 light boards. And, for the latter, either find one with 2.0 light boards or, if you are willing to spend the time and money, upgrade yourself. All other issues are typical pin issues that could happen with any pin. Don’t let that stop you from getting one of the greatest pins ever made.

#12092 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

I tried replacing J102 cable on WOZ6 and swapped WOZ6 and 29 boards with backups, still does the same think. I haven't tried replacing J101 cable to I/O board as I don't have one long enough to try. If you're referring to a different connector please let me know, this has become very frustrating. Thanks!

That’s the first cable that provides the input to WOZ6, is that right? Yet, is it true that WOZ6 always works? If so, I wouldn’t think it would be that cable.

Have you contacted JJP for advice?

#12094 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Yes that is the first cable providing input to WOZ6, and it always seems to work. Doubt it would be that cable as well. Haven't contacted JJP being a weekend, will call them tomorrow
As you pointed out from the video WOZ6 appears to be working and the others aren't. If a bad board affects only those ahead of it does it make sense to continue to bypass boards further along the chain since it wouldn't affect anything behind it?

If WOZ6 is truly the only one working, then either it or the one after it would be bad, if it is a board issue. Are you sure there isn't another working board after WOZ6?

Here's something maybe to try: Why not bypass the first 4 or so boards and see if everything now works (assuming you have a cable long enough). Then, add the boards back in in reverse order one by one to see if one is causing the issue.

#12096 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

That's a good idea, I'll try that. I didn't know you could bypass more than one board at a time. Thank you my friend.

I think you can, but I haven’t done it. Just remember to shut them off in the software as well.

#12126 3 years ago

My “c” and “e” targets in rescue in the upper playfield need to be more sensitive. I have a leaf switch adjuster but I don’t know how to access those targets. Do I have to remove the entire upper playfield or can I get to them in an easier way? Thanks!

For what it’s worth, I find the “e” just to be tough to hit well overall.

1 week later
#12181 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

This green light under the rainbow plastic showed up today right when I turn the pinball on. It stays on permanently after.
Any idea what it could be ? I've never seen it.[quoted image]

I think that’s normal. There’s a little indicator light on the LED boards if I remember correctly. Those are 2.0 boards, right?

#12196 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

What does everyone set their flipper strength settings to? Trying to use the best strength without breaking things.

It’s really going to depend upon how it performs in your house with your particular set up. I even find myself adjusting settings between winter and summer due to the extra draw on power from the AC. I would just start at default settings, see how it plays and adjust from there. Just a point or two at a time. You won’t break anything, but make sure you have the munchkinland cliffy installed because that playfield can get chipped from airballs.

#12198 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Thanks. It was set at 22 when I got it from the previous owner. What is default? They are great but pretty strong.

I forget what is default, but if you go into settings and move the value up and down, when it changes color (to green I believe), that is default.

2 weeks later
#12254 3 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

Question:
I want to change the battery on the motherboard of my ECLE.
Change while the machine is running, because of the BIOS settings?

Watch out for the fan next to the battery. It draws blood.

1 week later
#12260 3 years ago

Can someone tell me if there is a way to level to castle playfield left to right? Mine is over one degree slanted. Thanks!

It sits on posts doesn’t it? Could you put a washer on one of the posts before you screw it back down? I haven’t tried this so just a thought.

#12274 3 years ago

Having some strange symptoms I haven't been able to chase down yet.
During gameplay the RESCUE will pop up randomly ever though I'm not on that upper playfield. It has happened even with the Winkie guard up. Its happened at the exact time I pressed the right flipper, but unsure if thats just a coincidence. It does not stay active but pops up and then dissapears again.
Any guidance on what to check first? My monkey did not release the ball prior to this happening last game, but again I'm not sure if that is related.
What would make it activate?

Likely one of the switches on the castle playfield is gapped too close and being triggered by flipper vibration. The game thinks the ball is up there when it isn’t. Put game in switch test mode and bang around that playfield with your fist to see if anything triggers.

1 week later
#12299 3 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

My WOZrr started some strange behavior last night that I can't seem to wrap my head around. The game had been working fine up until last night and I have not lifted the hood in a while, so nothing recently changed as a part of anything I had done.
So initially, the game would play fine until the ball hit the upper left pop. Once it hit that pop, the flipper power would die and some random coils might fire (castle VUK or crystal ball VUK) until the ball would drain. Once the ball would drain, the house would spin for a second and then the flipper power would return and a new ball would get fed to the trough. Game would be fine until that upper left pop got hit again and then the same thing would happen.
I rebooted the game and same problem existed. Raised the hood thinking something on that pop might be shorting out on the side rail, but nothing I could see looked wrong. Put it back together and went to coil tests. Initially when testing that upper left pop, it would also briefly cause the house to spin once or twice, then that stopped. I went through the other coils and when I would test the castle VUK and then go to the crystal ball VUK, it would switch, but then fire the castle VUK one more time about 5-10 seconds into the CB VUK test. Also did through same the other way, firing the CB VUK during the castle VUK test.
Anyway, tried playing again and the game suddenly began to play fine with the upper left pop not killing the flippers. All was good until it hit the crystal ball VUK, and then that coil killed the flippers until the drain, the house spun for a second, before all was restored again.
Another strange thing was at one point back when the upper left pop killed the flippers, the game was awarding jackpots and super jackpots with callous as the ball was coming down the field to drain. I think this was happening while other coils were mysteriously firing.
Anyway, I have never seen behavior like this and don't even know where to begin diagnosing this problem. Anyone seen anything like this before and have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance...

Just a hunch, but the bracket and switch for the skill shot is really close to the rail and can cause a short to ground especially with the left pop firing right next to it. Try wrapping the bracket and switch in electrical tape — not a bad precaution in any case; see some of my earlier posts where I had a major issue with it — and see if that helps anything.

#12304 3 years ago

When mine acted this way, I had fried a chip on my I/O board. Perhaps visually inspect the board for anything that looks amiss.

#12310 3 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Thanks for the replies so far. I was going to call or email JJP tomorrow regarding this and I've scanned over the IO board and not seeing anything obvious.
As for the loose connectors or short, its possible and I've gone over every harness but not finding anything yet. The strange thing is I can't seem to isolate a consistent issue. Sometimes one target or pop will initiate crazy behavior and later it will be a different one. The flippers work when it is not "possessed" and then they stop working when it decides to flip out. I'm guessing it is activating a tilt as part of its craziness but not calling or showing tilt.
There is no consistent pattern that I can find other than suddenly everything (switches, flippers, coils) will go dead and then it freaks out for a bit.
I'm hoping LTG has seen this before and can shed some light on the situation. In the meantime, I have a call into a buddy of mine who does some pinball tech, maybe I can pay him to future it out...

If you pull the playfield out and rest it on the service rails, does it still happen? Just trying to look for obvious places where there might be a short to ground.

#12314 3 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I got it Barry, thank you! I will try and get to it this week after work as my schedule allows. I don't have faith in my ability to find it if it isn't obvious, but luckily I know people smarter than me and will call on them if In have to.

Make sure you let us know what it was when you figure it out.

1 week later
#12329 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

black electrician tape over steel lane guides ( on top,, sides a tiny bit so balls don't hit it ) to lessen the chance of motor leads shorting to the tops.

By any chance, did you take a picture when you did this? I would love to see exactly where the tape goes so I can put some in next time I have that playfield off.

#12343 3 years ago
Quoted from pbjksb:

Hi. the letters RAINBOW does not light up, where and what should I check first. This does not have 2.0 lighting. Thank you.

Reseat all connectors to that board. Check the manual for what boards are downstream of it. Do they light up?

#12364 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I’m getting a lot of rejects when trying to shot the ball into the crystal ball. A lot of times it even makes it past the spinner and still comes back out. Anyone else experience this?
If there’s a post about this already please share!

Yes, it’s normal. About half my shots are rejected. During MB, if you have two balls on the left flipper, doing a quick mini flip is a good way to send one to the CB.

#12373 3 years ago

This exploit will cost you your bonus if done twice, be careful.
There was a code update to penalize you for this exploit.

3 times actually. Twice and you are ok. Just have to remember to hit another switch after the second time. And, I thought the penalty was no hold flippers for the rest of the ball, not loss of bonus.

1 week later
#12418 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Sorry, just learning about this pin. Did RR have different models, standard and LE, or just one?
Thanks

RR is just RR. Standard, ECLE and YBR are all different models. With RR, however, there are the older versions with the pre-2.0 lighting, and the newer or converted versions with 2.0. 2.0 is more reliable and less prone to failure. (Cue the 100 posts by people who have the old boards without issue. )

#12458 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

For those of you who have done it, how much time should I allot to upgrade to 2.0?
Is it tedious or difficult or both?

14 hours for me, but if I did it again, it would probably take 12. I had some delays figuring out certain bits. The instructions were good and have since been improved. It is not difficult, just time consuming. I broke it up into small chunks over separate weekends. That kept me fresh. It is very doable even for ones like me who don’t do this stuff normally. I kind of enjoyed it in the end. Is it tedious? It depends upon your personality. I started to enjoy it, and by the end had a lot of satisfaction on getting the job done.

3 weeks later
#12496 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Saw this today, which got me thinking... what amount would actually get me to separate with my WOZ?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-wizard-of-oz-yellow-brick-road-le-5
The interesting conundrum is that while its not a price I would ever be willing to pay, I also don’t think I would sell mine for that if someone offered it to me.
Maybe I’m being sentimental but it feels hard to replace.... ECLE with the Govida witch, crystal ball and monkey plus castle walls and some other mods I have selectively added over the years. It was my first NIB pin and while I don’t play it regularly anymore I still enjoy a game or two occasionally... i would miss it if it were gone and while the pin itself isn’t rare by any means I doubt I could ever replace it with all the mods.
Anyway, i think to me the game is priceless and while that amount of cash on the glass would probably separate me, I don’t know if I actually ever would.
Anyone else feel like their particular WOZ is something they would never want to sell?

I just don’t feel there’ll ever be another game like this. And, the theme is a perfect fit for me. Total nostalgia. Yeah, I’m with you. Probably the one pin I’ll never sell. Unless someone offers me 6 figures for it, which at this rate, may happen in a year or two.

Quoted from merccat:

Should I upgrade to lighting 2.0?
I have a late ECLE with the last generation 1.x light boards (7.5v?)
Anyway, I have never had a large board go bad on me but I do always seem to be chasing the little single general illumination boards. At this point I do have a couple more that are needing replacement and starting to wonder if its time to bite the bullet on the 2.0?

If it is a keeper for you, you should definitely upgrade. I was chasing small boards as well. At some point, it may be difficult to get replacement boards of the older versions. So, having the more reliable boards is the way to go, especially if it is not leaving your house.

#12507 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I have been looking for a WoZ emerald city or ruby red edition. I have been offered a standard. Other than cosmetics (aprons, colored metal, etc.) is there any difference in the playfield or mechs that are not on the standard model? I can always have the metal powder coated.
Thanks

Nope. The only difference is bling. Both play exactly the same.

EDIT: Not sure if the standard came with a shaker but one can always be added, I suppose.

#12512 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thats considered "bling" haha. Not changing the gameplay..

Funny. I was wondering whether to mention that, but I had the same thought. Invisiglass is bling.

Not sure if the shaker should be called bling or a mech. It doesn’t interact with the ball. I guess it’s bling for your senses.

1 month later
#12639 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

I did check and reseat almost all the cables. I’m out of town for the holiday and when I get back I’m going to try again. I’m not convinced it’s a board issue given every board is affected. Even with bypassing boards.
Thanks for all the tips from everyone. I will report back in about a week or two

If every board is affected, it is likely the very first board in the chain. Did you try just bypassing that one?

3 weeks later
#12681 2 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Howdy-
I wish to buy these. Does anybody have them?
1. Single LED PCB, 5V, for LED 15. See attachment for the direction of the bracket.
Looks like SKU: S51-000000-00 http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Wizard-of-Oz-Parts/General-Illumination-board-5-Volt-.html
2. 10" RGB LED cable that goes between 17 & 18.
P/N 19-3031-10 4583
Thank you,
-Jason
PS: the story:
Half the PF lights were out.
Investigation revealed that 15 was showing only red, 16 was working fine, & 17 plus all downstream from 17 were off.
Swapped in a replacement (w/ the wrong bracket angle) for 15. 15 now good.
Noticed that the 17->18 cable's ground wire was broken at the crimp on the 18 end. Repaired pretty well (dig out cable strands, solder, heat shrink, hot glue).
No change.
Replaced 17.
All good.
So, in summary, 15 went partially bad, 17 went bad, & the 17->18 cable all went bad (at the same time?)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You might look for someone who recently converted to 2.0 and buy a whole set. If you’re keeping the earlier system, more boards will fail in time so having spares is a good thing. Also not sure how many people want to break up a set by selling individual boards. Going rate for a full set is about $300 from someone who swapped. Much cheaper than getting them from JJP.

1 week later
#12694 2 years ago

Several replacement dongles have been issued due to failure or what-not.

This actually worries me. If dongles go bad, what happens in the future if JJP isn’t around to replace them? Hopefully they will be, but could a third party provide replacements if not?

#12696 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

No need to worry, someone will figure out how to copy them and make new chips if it becomes necessary.

Is that possible? I assume the encryption is strong.

#12700 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

What I'm saying is... Don't worry about it.
What is your worry gonna achieve?
In the event that JJP shuts down, they could release the code officially - or an employee could dump it on the internet unofficially.
Indeed any number of things could happen that would end with the result that you can still buy the security dongles or bypass them somehow. Do I know exactly which one will happen? No. But history shows that it will indeed happen. Check out K's Arcade website and see all the things you can buy for Williams and Bally machines that would have been impossible years ago.
If there is a demand, it will be met. Don't worry bro.

Ok. I’m not terribly worried. It just occasionally passes through my mind.

When I was a kid and bought The Legend of Zelda cartridge for the NES, I was upset that it only came with a 5 year battery to hold your saves. My father just laughed at me.

Quoted from adol75:

I wouldn't worry about it, the arcade industry used dongles in the 2000s when they moved to PC based mother boards and all of them have been cracked or bypassed after their makers dropped support

Good to know.

1 week later
#12723 2 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

So you guys are both saying that I could replace the bad board, but the root problem still exists and the only long-term fix is the $800 kit? If so, that makes sense. If you don't mind me asking, what is the root cause that causes the issue with the boards? I appreciate the responses, thank you!
I'm a little frustrated my initial inquiry to JJP years ago was brushed off when there was a known issue. But, considering this is Pinside, I'll skip the rant as I'm sure it's been expressed many times over.

The pre-2.0 boards are flawed and subject to static damage and possibly other issues. Every year, during the winter, when the weather got dry, I would have a couple GI boards go bad. Even though JJP was great and covered them well after warranty, I eventually got sick of replacing them and upgraded.

1 week later
#12743 2 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

Hello WoZ owners. I just recently joined the club with ECLE #670 and upon setting up the machine for the first time found this LED strip that wasn't attached to anything. Can anyone tell me where it is supposed to go? It is wired into the back box lights and is sticky on the back. Found it near the monkey.
-RLF[quoted image]

Maybe under the Wizard in the throne room. Looks like the small strip for that area.

#12753 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Like this?
[quoted image]

Yep. That’s 2.0 lighting.

#12757 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

The N light at the end of Tin Man is acting strange. When all inserts are red it does not light. When all are yellow, it lights green. Not sure about other colors. Any ideas on that?

The LED is bad. It is missing the red so red shows up as nothing and yellow, which is a combination of red and green, shows as green since there is no red. You likely need a new board.

1 week later
#12790 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

My WOZ has been acting up for a week in a weird way
In short the game suddenly feels overpowered, the ball flies everywhere, there's a big métal noise of the ball hitting the VUK wire forms when it comes out.
I also get a lot of air balls, like when hitting the magic wand target the ball flies up on the munchkin playfield.
I could reduce the power of all the coils one by one but I'm worried there's something else going on.
Any clues ?

The power to my game varies over the course of the year as people start using AC in the summer and turn it off in the fall. I definitely notice the difference with WOZ and DI which for me seems to be more sensitive to such variations than my other pins. I usually adjust the power to the coils accordingly to account for this.

#12795 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I know, what I meant to say is it's a lot of settings to change one by one, then change them again when the power goes lower.
My problem is it's not just the bats that shoot too strong it's literally every coil.

Typically I do the bottom flippers. Sometimes the VUKs. It just depends on how it is playing. It takes two minutes and I only do it 2-3 times a year.

3 weeks later
#12837 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Thank you. A good day, like 8 hours?

More like 12-14. I broke mine up over a couple of weekends to stay fresh. It’s not bad. Just time consuming.

#12848 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sounds to me you have a switch closed somewhere. Anything show up in switch test?

Agreed. Likely a switch on the upper castle playfield given the Rescue music.

#12851 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thanks for the insight! My tests are running clear, is there a way to manually trigger or test it? Do I just pop the glass and manually press things in that area and look for something? This is my first pin, just bought a couple days ago. Entirely new to maintenance but ready to dive in.

Yes. Put in switch test mode, take off the glass and manually press the switches on the upper playfield. Also bang around with your fist to make sure nothing is triggered by vibration.

You could also try, with the power OFF, unplugging and reseating the connectors on the opto I/O board. Make sure none are loose. Check the manual for where to find that.

2 weeks later
#12886 2 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I know jumping motherboard has been covered and know how to do that. Recently every time I try to play a game after game has been turned off, I have to jump start it. Get the no signal error every time I switch the game on. Tried putting motherboard from Hobbit I own into WOZ and it starts and plays great with that board So probably a problem with the WOZ motherboard? Fixable or replace?

Did you replace the battery? Not sure if that would be the cause, but maybe try it if you haven’t.

#12898 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

2. In the menu settings, when I got to the switch test mode (or is it coils test?), where it says to press Start button to test a switch; I can navigate between the switches, however, the start button doesn't actually trigger anything. When looking at passive switch detection, it registers the Start button just fine, and the Start button works everywhere else just fine. Just seems to be a bug in that menu?

If you are in switch test mode, then pressing the start button doesn't test the switches, just the start switch. You need to take the glass off and press the switches manually.

If, in fact, you are in coil test mode, then you need to pull the interlock switch by the coin door to allow high power to flow so that you can test the coils. See the manual for where this is if you are unsure.

1 week later
#12938 2 years ago
Quoted from schwts:

Upgraded my Woz to 7.04 now all my playfield lights are messed up. I go into led tests and when I select a certain light it lights up a different light on the playfield. Even if I check the gi lights they light up different lights on the playfield. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed

Have you tried turning it off and on a few times, pausing in between? If that doesn’t sort it out, try reinstalling the code.

#12971 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Nice! Amazing how much is in this game.

Just wait until you get no hold flippers and try to hold.

#12986 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You start the mode by hitting the witch, the insert will be pulsing red when it's ready, then you have to hit three white shots turning them red, this drops the drop target then you have to hit one ball into the VUK for the castle PF and the drop target will raise and the music starts pulsing faster and faster. Before the timer runs out and it kicks the ball to the upper PF you have to hit the ramp, the ball will divert to the mini PF and drop through to the upper right flipper which you have to use to hit the witch thereby melting her. It's a pretty awesome mode and one I point to when people say the game doesn't have any great moments in it.

Just one point of clarity. You can hit the red shots as well. I think you need a total of 4 made shots, either white or red, to advance to the next part. Hitting all white shots just increases the jackpot amount I believe.

#12990 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Any tips out there on how to smooth out a launched ball trajectory?
I can usually get it over to the Haunted forest if intended, but it is never very smooth, it often hits the metal rail just past the Oz lanes and rattles there and then continues. Occasionally it doesn't make it. Video here, but might still be processing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvu0Zn6lsuYyWMnmMPv6ux2BOYESKG8M/view
I've looked at the lane and can't seem to see any misshapen things or reason for the non-smooth arc.
Happens during manual plunge or automatic.
I think my playfield tilt is around 6 degrees.
Standard model, no mods/cliffys/protectors nearby, nothing.
Thanks for any thoughts!

Black felt tape placed as shown here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/47#post-3372442

1 week later
#13013 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

What version boards do you have? If not 2.0 you may have a board starting to fail

The pre 2.0 boards are prone to this, and especially the GI boards. You can try reseating the connectors or bypassing boards by following the instructions for diagnosing light board problems in the manual, but my best guess is that those boards will need to be replaced.

2 weeks later
#13054 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

im not seeing anything in this pic. Except for wax buildup?

There’s a chip at the edge to the left of the triangular insert.

2 weeks later
#13081 2 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Very happy to have become a member this weekend! Picked up an absolutely beautiful Ruby Red 75th edition this weekend from our local distributor. It was delivered Monday evening, and had soooo much fun playing the 4 games we had time for that night. Fired her up when I got home from work yesterday, and crap....... I fell victim to the dreaded led board failure. The entire bottom half of the playfield went dark as it was booting up. It displayed a short error message about communications and checking cables etc, but I can't retrieve that message now, as I haven't figured out if I can or not. Anyway, spent a lot of time reading here, and I will be tracking down the culprit board tonight and looking to order a new one. I called JJP, and got added to the waiting list for the 2.0 boards, ( behind quite a few others I'm sure ). With any luck, I'll find it, isolate it, and disable it so I can continue to play. Other than the board issue, which I was aware existed prior to byuing the game, I think it's a fantastic game and glad to have it in my collection!

Congrats on the new game. Sorry that happened. Try checking all the connectors to the last working board and the first non-working one. Reseat them. Best case, something may have just come loose in transit or your first few games. Worth a try.

1 week later
#13100 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Smelled electrical burning during play on standard edition. Opened it up and suspect it is coming from this part that looks blackened a little. Safe assumption? Would fixing just be replacing that board? Thanks![quoted image]

It’s a known issue. JJP has upgraded boards now. Contact them to get a replacement.

1 week later
#13130 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

A ruby red is worth more than an emerald city because the boards are updated.

Some Ruby Reds had the updated boards and some didn’t. Mine didn’t and I had to do the upgrade myself. ECLEs might be worth more than RRs if someone updated the boards as they had other desired features like the wooden apron. (That’s assuming it wasn’t an early run ECLE with playfield issues.) However, the RRs have more bling in terms of non-interactive toys (castle walls, Toto sculpture, etc). My point is that the type of game is only one part of the value. Whether pinside should break it all out or not, I don't know. But not all RRs are worth the same and not ECLEs are.

#13140 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

The first WOZ produced were ECLE's and the first ECLE's had the 5V boards. By the time RR's came off the line they had switched to the 7.5v boards. No production RR's had the 5V boards. Later RR runs had the 2.0 boards which sadly are dimmer but they are much more stable and less of a PITA.

Yes, when he was talking about the updated boards, I assumed he was referring to 2.0. I don’t think there’s a price difference in machines that have 5v vs 7.5v. But there is likely a justifiable price difference between 2.0 games and those with 1.0+ boards.

2 weeks later
#13209 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow! Mine has started, not bad yet. What do I get to protect against this expanding?

Cliffys protector for the edge is great and looks stock once installed.

#13213 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I still have some trauma from trying to take off that playfield and put it back on again, I hope I never have to do that again !

It’s easier the second time.

#13223 2 years ago
Quoted from TrueJedi:

Is there an easy way to get these black rubber pieces separated from the plastics and light boards? If the rubber piece breaks is the only option to buy from JJP?
[quoted image]

The hard part is putting them back in. Use a little playfield wax and twist.

#13225 2 years ago

I have had good results using smooth needle nose and a blunt bamboo skewer to ease in the edges.
More and more Im using bamboo skewers and the generic chopsticks as pinball tools.

Good tip. Thanks.

#13251 2 years ago
Quoted from TrueJedi:

Ok, follow up to my post above. I was able to get the black rubber pieces pushed through with a small screw driver, but here’s my issue. The white connector on the board has broken as seen in the pics. What are my options? Can this connector be bought somewhere and soldered on as replacement? Or do I need to buy a new board? JJP tech was helping me (ie follow the daisy chain), but since I found this issue won’t respond for the last month despite 3 emails. http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Wizard-of-Oz-Parts/W10-.html
[quoted image][quoted image]

My guess is you can find a close enough connector even if not the same. You may have to cut the mating connector off the two wires to get one that matches and then make sure everything fits.

Other thing you could do is put the old connector back on and hot glue it to hold it in place. Of course, that doesn’t allow you to take it off again easily so use the least amount of hot glue as possible.

Others may have better solutions.

And keep trying JJP. Call them instead of email.

2 weeks later
#13306 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm probably the worst handyman in the universe, I had a panic attack when I cut the first cable and realized there was no way back, but I ended up doing it and actually enjoyed it.

Ditto. It is very doable and manageable especially if divided up into small chunks.

#13307 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Yep... this is correct. You have to carefully bend the bar.. It will take a few tries be patient.

There is a setting, and that should be tried first before one starts bending metal. My settings occasionally needed adjustment to keep the timing consistent on the arm.

#13309 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

What do you think is causing the problem if the setting has never been changed?
Fix the source of the problem and you won't have to periodically adjust your settings to compensate.
Some may get tired of constant adjustments. And eventually the settings may no longer have any effect.

For me, coil strength varies throughout the year depending upon energy load, such as if AC is running, etc. Every once in a while, I had to tweak the timing of the ball release to compensate. I haven’t had to do it in a while, but I haven’t been playing as much as in the past. I’m just saying, for me, I would rather just change a setting every now and then than try to bend a mech and potentially mess things up.

#13346 2 years ago
Quoted from swampy:

Found the skill shot target soldering tabs broken underneath.

Those tabs are very very close to the metal rail and can get bent and broken. Consider putting some electrical tape around them as well to insulate them. I had a very unfortunate short where voltage going to a coil went into the switch matrix through those tabs. It wasn’t good. I’ve wrapped them in electrical tape ever since.

#13363 2 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

What do you have to do within the game to have the house Wall drop and show the witch's feet? I just found out about this feature and made adjustments on my game. Only had the game for a couple weeks.

Hit the ball around the house enough times to qualify the munchkin mode. Once the ball exits that playfield, it will get trapped by the magnet for a second while the feet drop and the Munchkin mode is announced.

2 weeks later
#13424 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Owners that have the 75th topper - are there holes on the bottom so it stays locked in? Haven’t installed the one I just got yet but it doesn’t. Is that normal?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes there are holes. It looks like yours is cut short by a quarter of an inch or so at the bottom.

1 week later
#13441 2 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Having a strange issue with my WoZ. I can turn on game, it boots up, goes into attract mode. I cannot toggle through attract mode with flippers, I also cannot start a game. Every time I hit start, nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Check connectors in cabinet, by coin door, and near boards. One may have come loose and needs to be reseated.

1 month later
#13510 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

CR 2032, that was it...and updated to 7.04...seems to be working fine...What bulletproofing does this machine need? It has the 7.5 light boards it appears...everything else appears to be stock....

No bullet proofing but consider getting on the list for 2.0 boards as the others will fail eventually. Also, make sure you have the munchkin playfield cliffy installed. Otherwise, that area is prone to chipping.

2 weeks later
#13590 1 year ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Also I and the person I bought my machine from were completely unaware that the inserts were yellow and he gave me a few $100 off because the said there were some lights which were always more yellow...

2 weeks later
#13635 1 year ago
Quoted from Xantanian:

About 6 months ago, my WOZEC had a GI light go out, and with the old light boards made the game impossible to play. I ordered the new GI to replace the one that was out, but I also went ahead and ordered the 2.0 light system. I have had it sitting in the closet for a few months because I knew the time it was going to take putting them in. I finally got around to installing them last week. Every day after work for a few hours a night, and I finally got it finished. For the most part the instructions were easy to follow, but there were a few steps/pictures that did not match my machine. I did have to contact JJP support a couple of times, but they were very quick to respond. After about 10-12 hours of total work, I finally got the job completed! It is so nice to have my WOZ running great again (the wife is happy too!). It was not overly difficult to do the upgrade, but cutting wires and drilling holes into the bottom of the playfield was a little nerve racking for the first major repair to a pin that I have done. It was definitely a fun learning experience.

Congrats! It’s definitely a confidence building experience and one that leaves you with a good feeling of satisfaction.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#13694 1 year ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

JJP doesn't have them for sale on their Website,

Did you call them? They might have them to sell even if not on their site.

#13733 1 year ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

We are beginning to install the 2.0 kit as I type this.
Jersey Jack customer service is closed today and I've got questions I couldn't answer by searching other Pinside threads.
Would anyone who has installed this kit be willing to give me a call to answer a few questions? I'd be glad to PayPal something for your expertise.
Message me and I'll reply back with my phone number.
Thanks!!

Don’t know if you saw this thread, but it has some specific tips. Though, JJP upgraded the kits a bunch since this thread was started so some of the advice may no longer apply.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-installed-woz-20-yet-im-about-too-

You can PM me if you’re stuck, but I did my swap 3 years ago, and the memory is not top of mind. Someone who did it more recently is likely a better resource.

#13752 1 year ago
Quoted from Whynot:

Thanks as always for replying so quickly.
I couldn’t find anything on the process in the manual. I’m assuming it’s these screws that are removed? Is it easy enough to remove and then put back? Not looking to create a night long project.
[quoted image]

Yes. Just keep a hand on it as you’re removing the last screw. Some connectors in the back as well.

#13754 1 year ago

It looks like it was pulled out of the black heat shrink. If someone can confirm it goes to that strip (I’m not home right now), you would need to remove the heat shrink and solder the wires back to the copper pads.

EDIT: Are they on the same panel? If not, then I would think there should be a connector or something. You’ll need someone to confirm how it is hooked up to their game.

#13756 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

If the wire reaches that high, that is where it goes. Yellow and black are your 12 volts for lights.

Ah, right. The connector is on the board on the monitor panel. It does look like the wires were pulled free from the heat shrink. Perhaps by a prior owner not being careful when removing the monitor.

#13801 1 year ago
Quoted from etien:

Hi; received the v2.0 upgrade kit like 2 years ago but never bothered installing it as my Woz SEvis just fine. Shall I worry? Will jpp contact me if needed?
Is there a way to know if my kit has a defective board?
Etienne

It sounds like the defective boards were a recent issue. But, one risk of waiting is not knowing whether one of your boards is bad. When I did the upgrade a few years ago, I had two bad light boards that needed to be replaced.

2 months later
#14186 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Then lift playfield, look upon all edges - anything shorting to anything inside the cabinet when you lower it ? Top parts of coin door shorting to anything when the playfield is down ? Diagnostic switches - any of their wiring shorting to anything ?
Should be an easy fix once you find it.

Very common for the skill shot switch by the bumpers to be bent and touching the rails.

#14188 1 year ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

I will definitely look closely again at these things… and I gotta find my outlet checker too… I know it’ll be simple once I actually find the dern thing
All your ideas have been great and have given me more direction every time I’ve been floundering, thank you everyone! Thank you for suffering me through this nonsense.
For now, the lady was very happy to get to play it again tonight, and I even got a half million in a particularly exciting game (for us)

Sorry if you already did this and I missed it, but I was rereading your recent posts and wondered if you checked the opto I/O boards. There are two. If you swap them, does a different set of switches start going crazy? I wonder if one has issues.

#14200 1 year ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

Thanks for the idea; the game worked great for two days and then went back to doing the same thing. I swapped the opto boards and it’s the same issue and switches m, so I reckon those are both okay.
Someone previously had mentioned looking for chewed or loose wires around the witch mech. I have a friend over and we were doing that, not seeing anything, but the switch frenzy certainly seemed to intensify when we were jostling the wires all around the witch.
We cut a few zip ties and inspected the wires around it pretty closely, not finding anything.
I think it’s weird how all the playfield lights flicker when all these switches go off. Seems like a clue to me, but could be normal I suppose.
We shall march forward on! Stiff upper lip and all that. Nevermind the blubbering bottom lip…

I mentioned also checking the skill shot switch to make sure it is not bent and touching the rail. Have you done that?

#14202 1 year ago
Quoted from deejaypee:

We did! No problems there. Now, I’m not saying it’s suddenly fixed, but my friend suggested I get a replacement usb cable for the I/O board to the motherboard “just to see.” I did so and all the dang problems stopped. We only got to test it for 10 minutes but no misfires or flickering in that time. I’ll try it more when I get back home but jeez, maybe that was it.
These things are wacky.

Could be a flaky cable. Hope it stays fixed.

1 month later
#14332 1 year ago

I havent had too many problems in 7 years...

You’ve been lucky. I lost a few GI boards and occasionally a main board every winter. That’s why I finally upgraded to 2.0.

Quoted from Mattyk:

Hey guys. I’m picking up a WOZ that has unbuffered 7.5v led boards. If I ever have an issue with the boards any idea if JJP has some replacements? I know the 2.0 boards are out of stock but could they send a new 7.5v board? TIA

You should reach out to JJP. They used to return, replace and repair the older boards. I’m not sure if they’re still doing that. And, the cost of the larger boards for replacement is going to be a bit high.

1 week later
#14362 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

You need all 8 gems, and some of those require lots and lots of sequential accomplishments, all without losing a ball.

You can lose a ball. You don’t have to get all eight gems on the same ball.

Quoted from DiabloRush:

Is it just me? Do others routinely reach this? I’ve played quite a few tables over the decades, this honestly may be the hardest to reach Wizard mode I know (at least, reading how to do it in the rulesheet).

That said, most mortals will never reach SOTR, the final wizard mode. Try to melt the witch which is the intermediate wizard mode. When I played regularly, I would get to that mode every month or so, and melt the witch a couple of times a year. Really great feeling doing that.

#14364 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Of course. I was referring to individual gem modes where you can't lose a ball. A great example is the gem from Rescue Multiball. The rulesheet is below. This seems nearly impossible to me to complete during the multiball (where you have to actually keep at least 2 balls in play). You have to cycle through every shot a minimum of three times and then bash the castle and enter the saucer at least 6 times before you can even light a mega-jackpot. Brutal.
----
Rescue Multiball
During this multiball the following jackpot shots are lit: Spinner, Left Orbit, Winkie Drop Target, Ramp, Right Orbit, and Throne Room. For each of those shots, the first time you hit it will award a 1x jackpot. The second time will award a 2x jackpot. The third time will award and 3x jackpot. And hitting it after that will award 0.5x jackpot values until the end of the multiball or a super or mega jackpot is scored.
Once a 3x jackpot has been achieved for a shot it will light a corresponding R-E-S-C-U-E target letter on the castle mini-playfield (R – Spinner, E – Left Orbit, S – Winkie Drop Target, C – Ramp, U – Right Orbit, E – Throne Room) and enable Super Jackpot. To collect a super jackpot you need to hit at least one blinking RESCUE target and then get the castle doors to open and finally get the ball into the rescue saucer. You can stack the super jackpots by collecting multiple blinking rescue letters to get even more points (e.g. collect 3x jackpots at multiple locations and then get the super).
Note that once a super jackpot is collected all shots revert back to 1x so keep that in mind if you have good progress towards lighting the Rescue letters (e.g. 2x on the other jackpot shots). Fortunately a super jackpot does not unlight the rescue letters that have been collected.
Once all R-E-S-C-U-E letters have been lit (by collecting 3x jackpots from all jackpot shots and then hitting the R-E-S-C-U-E letter) a Mega Jackpot can be collected by getting a search orbit to castle door combo (i.e. hitting the search orbit and then immediately hitting the castle doors breaking through them and getting into the saucer behind).
Scoring a Mega Jackpot also immediately awards a Jewel towards SOTR.

I think, but may be wrong, that the rescue letters carry over from ball to ball. So, if you don’t do it on your first Rescue MB, you still have progress towards it on the second go around. Again, I could be wrong.

That said, that is the hardest jewel to collect IMO. I’ve never done it. And, most games, I don’t even get to Rescue MB, let alone get to it twice or make much progress in it.

So, again, SOTR is pretty much out of reach for most. There are videos, though, of really good players who have gotten there.

#14366 1 year ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Yeah that’s my biggest knock on this game. SOTR is virtually impossible. Kind of a buzz kill

I don’t mind something unobtainable to always try to reach for. I get plenty of joy trying to melt the witch which is thrilling whenever I accomplish it.

1 month later
#14495 1 year ago
Quoted from CrashJT:

I have a RR75th anniversary and I've tuned the spinning house perfectly in the Test Menu, but during gameplay it always uses different settings and only opens 1/2 way. I'm on Ver RR7.04. Is there some other place where I need to set the values or is this a bug? Thanks.

Quoted from LTG:

I'd play with settings so it fails in test but works great in game play.

Mine is also just variable. Doesn’t land in exactly the same place. Each spin a few mm different which can make a difference.

#14508 1 year ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Mine seems to get out of place after every time I have it perfect. I just deal with it opening 90%. Too annoying to keep messing with.

Yep.

1 week later
#14529 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

I was thinking about putting side blades or mirror blades on but the playfield seems really tight against the cabinet compared to my other machines. Anyone have issues with this?

I would not be able to fit them on mine.

3 weeks later
#14587 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Talk to me about collecting the horses. I think all 4 of the same color and one of each color is best. But are they worth taking the risk collecting them?

Yes. They increase your bonus multiplier for that ball that you collect them on if I recall correctly. So, it can really be lucrative if you score high in a munchkin mode, for instance, or something else that only pays off during the bonus.

#14589 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Very nice. I thought I saw a 400 pop up on the score when I collected, what I thought was one of every color. Unless I misread the screen. I’ll have to see if I can find a rule sheet

There is something somewhere that lists all the collected score amounts for the horses. However, those scores are not worth the risk of collecting. It is the bonus multiplier that is the reason to collect.

1 week later
#14594 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

The coils are firing way too hard with no option to go lower. At the lowest possible setting, the coils are firing way too hard. There is nothing physically wrong with any of the mechs.
I am hopeing the gentlman here from JJP can provide some insite.
I know you are trying to help LTG and you gave a similar response when I first posted this problem but I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I appreciate your help though.
I’d actually question whether I even have any control over the coil power at all since any adjustment seems to make no difference. I’ve only found one other case of this with no solution. Same deal, happened right after updating to 7.04….
Its either something in the new code, or because I did a full install coming from 7.02 to 7.04 which should not matter since 7.04 would have contained everything in 7.03.

What happens when you fire it in test mode?

By machine gunning, do you just mean loud, or repeated fires when it should only have one?

#14602 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Nah is wired right....dunno, maybe there is just too much damn wax on this thing. I did put three coats of good carnuba wax on it
Line voltage is good. Coil DC is at 65v. I know a fresh coat of wax makes things a little nuts for a bit but.....I guess I will see if it dies down a little after a while.

You only need one coat of wax, and even with that, things will be crazy for a few games.

2 months later
#14727 11 months ago
Quoted from Moli410:

Hey fellas, im in the market for a WOZ. Just a quick question to all you owners, for as much of the research I've been doing. What is the probability of the 7.5 light boards failing on theses machines, and are these light boards available should one fail?
Ive seen people convert to 2.0 light boards and I can't imagine the process it would be convert the machine to 2.0
Just looking for some insight before I make the final plunge in the next day or so.

Very likely to fail. Some people have gotten lucky and had zero issues; others have chased issues repeatedly.

I’m not that handy, and I converted to 2.0 after replacing light boards on the older system every winter. It’s not too bad, just time consuming. If you take it slow and follow the instructions step by step, not only will you have a rock solid game but also a real sense of accomplishment.

#14747 11 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Really don’t understand why the 7.5vs would scare people off so much now that the 2.0 kits are available.

It’s just about 12 hours of work to do the swap, and time is money. Also, a lot of people who haven’t taken on a Pinball project of that magnitude may lack confidence in not messing it up.

I find it interesting that some people have had zero issues with 7.5 boards and others like me were plagued with problems. Probably no way to tell which group was the majority, but it is definitely a gamble. And, as people said, the 2.0 system is just better to deal with and much more reliable.

1 month later
#14817 10 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

So the double cradled backhand shot doesn’t work? What is the punishment?

Do it three times in a row without hitting any other switches and you automatically enter no hold flippers.

3 months later
#14948 6 months ago

I fired up WOZ today for the first time in a while. Had one of those games where things just come together. Got Haunted Forest multiball stacked with a crystal ball mode (lights on) and EC multiball. Went from 100,000 points to 700,000 points in a couple of minutes. Everything was crazy. Rainbows everywhere. Reminded me why this is one of the best pins made.

2 weeks later
#14963 6 months ago

After years of flawless operation of the upper castle playfield, all of a sudden, my right castle door is only opening halfway. There's nothing binding it, as I can physically push it all the way open. I just removed the castle playfield, and the set screw feels firmly in place. I know this has been written about a bunch, but is there any common cause besides something binding or the set screw? Thanks!

#14965 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

The motor.

Meaning it may need to be replaced? I’m a little confused why it would only open halfway.

#14967 6 months ago

Ah. Found this thread. I guess a weak motor can stop when the spring tension gets too much.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-castle-doors-1

1 month later
#15046 4 months ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Every once in a while i get different woz music and a cool video at the end of a game as its entering attract mode. It’s pretty rare but it happens every so often. I cant figure out what makes it occur. I have checked all the settings. Does anyone know why this happens and if there is a setting to make it happen more often?

If you get a daily high score or regular high score, you get different ending music than if you get no high score.

#15050 4 months ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Ok my bad. So you think a switch might be triggering the video? I’ll give it a try… but i really dont think thats what happening. It seems random and intentional. Not that I know.

If it happens at the end of a game before attract mode like you said, it’s not a switch issue. Please see my answer and see if that could be it.

#15052 4 months ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Thank you for the suggestion. I’m not sure how to check that. It definitely doesn't do it with high scores. Its much more rare than that. Are you getting the video with high scores?

Perhaps post a video as I’m not sure what you’re talking about. There are different pieces of music and light shows that play at the end of the game. And one that plays if you get a high score. I thought that might be it.

#15055 4 months ago

I have to replace my castle door motors. I have the motor assembly removed, and all four hex screws attaching the motor to the assembly out, but I can’t separate the motor from the long rod it is inserted in. It is absolutely stuck. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0362 (resized).jpegIMG_0362 (resized).jpeg

#15057 4 months ago

I usually have to force a flat blade screwdriver into the gap and pry them off.

Thanks. That worked with some effort.

I havent found a solution to the beat up screw on the lower right door. It gets totally flattened.

That was a pain. Had to use a locking vise to turn it off. I’m thinking about leaving it off or loose. Not sure if that’s a good idea or not.

The rubber door latch pads are problematic.
Carefully unstick them and turn them around to get an un-beveled edge.
Glue them back on with a small amount of 5 min epoxy.
Beveled rubber door stops wreak havoc on trying to adjust the door latches.
I ordered new door latch pads from JJP (I had already turned them around once). The self stick glue was dried out but it scraped off easy, and it was easy enough to epoxy the pads on with just a couple tiny drops.
Old epoxy scrapes off easy with a screw driver.

I’m not sure I’m following this or know what this is.

EDIT: Never mind. I see what you’re referring to.

#15059 4 months ago

Bad idea.
I just check it every 400 plays when I change the balls out.
"change balls every 400 plays and change that screw"
Its easy to replace it from the topside if it isnt flattened, get some spares.
I have maintenance notes inside my games to keep them like new.
I wax every 350 plays and change out the balls.
Buy balls in bulk, run them in the polisher for 3 or 4 days.
I just bought another 100 balls for 63 cents each on black friday.

Yes, I regularly change my balls and wax. I ordered a bunch of screws. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

I may take a break for today. This is the second most complicated thing I’ve done on WOZ. 2.0 conversion was the first, and I think I preferred that.

#15074 4 months ago

Just finished swapping the motors on my castle playfield. The new motors didn’t have caps, so I took the old caps and soldered them on the new. I felt like I might have hurt the first one I did, so out of an abundance of caution, I checked each with my multimeter. Sure enough, that first one is shorted. So, now I’m ordering new 104 caps. Glad I checked. Fixing this mech is a PITA.

1 week later
#15097 4 months ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

I need to change a few LED bulbs under the upper playfield, how long should this take ? does anyone have any links I could possibly refer to please ?

Do you mean the castle playfield or the munchkin one? Either way, there are detailed directions for removing them in the manual. It will take about an hour your first time. It gets easier after that. Note that there are no “bulbs” in WOZ but LED boards. Just making sure you have the replacement boards before you start.

#15143 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just finished swapping the motors on my castle playfield. The new motors didn’t have caps, so I took the old caps and soldered them on the new. I felt like I might have hurt the first one I did, so out of an abundance of caution, I checked each with my multimeter. Sure enough, that first one is shorted. So, now I’m ordering new 104 caps. Glad I checked. Fixing this mech is a PITA.

Turns out the cap wasn't shorted after all but the motor. I got another replacement from JJP and reassembled everything today. Everything is working again. (I always feel like that's a miracle. )

Thanks to pinballinreno and Pinballomatic for helping me along the way!

3 months later
#15322 2 days ago

#15327 2 days ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I finally got to try and melt the witch! I was so excited that all of a sudden a couldn’t hit anything and failed miserably. What exactly are you supposed to shoot for during that mode?

You have to get four shots I believe, red or white, though white builds the jackpot.

Then lock behind the Winkie target. Then hit the ramp and combo to the witch when the ball drops down out of the munchkin playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
716 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nokoro. You are on page 3 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/3?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.