767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

714 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nokoro. You are on page 1 of 3.
#934 8 years ago

Hi all. I'm seriously considering getting a Standard WOZ. I have a few questions.

In the US, what is the typical distributor price I should expect to pay for the standard version NIB delivered?

Are there any game play or significant feature differences between the Standard and some of the limited editions, or is it all very nice bling?

Finally, I need to free up some more funds and am looking at April of next year to purchase. Do you know if they will still be available NIB at that time?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

#958 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hi all. I'm seriously considering getting a Standard WOZ. I have a few questions.

In the US, what is the typical distributor price I should expect to pay for the standard version NIB delivered?

Finally, I need to free up some more funds and am looking at April of next year to purchase. Do you know if they will still be available NIB at that time?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Bump.

#960 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

There will certainly still be WOZ NIB but what you will pay is uncertain. As for pricing I would call a distributor and ask. I use Buddy Herron from Mountain Entertainment http://www.buddyspinball.com He goes by Doughslinger on Pinside.

Thanks for the response. I didn't really want to start calling distributors yet because I'm several months away from making a purchase. I was just wondering what the ballpark distributor price for a standard was.

3 months later
#1062 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I am in about the same position as you. I am probably a couple of months away from deciding and placing an order. I'm trying to decide between WOZ and the Hobbit but I am already doing some preliminary research. Prices are all over the place online. The best price appears to be Joe @ Pinballstar at $8000 for a standard. Next seems to be Automated at $8500 for a standard with a shaker and Invisiglass. Most expensive is JJP at $8500 (no shaker or Invisiglass, those are $500 extra). Shipping can make or break who is the best.

Thanks. Assuming no March surprises in my finances, I'm about 1-2 months away from joining this club. I can't wait!

3 weeks later
#1109 8 years ago

Hi all. Just ordered a RR 75th. I'm very excited and can't wait until it arrives.

I have a couple of questions to prepare: First, how many balls does it take, and can I use the balls that come with the game, or are they like the Stern balls that you should throw out immediately?

Second, where is the best place to get the munchkinland edge cliffy protector? I didn't see them at pinballife. How easy is it to install? Drilling holes in a brand new game scares me.

Anyway, thanks! I'll post pics when it arrives.

#1113 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I put the cliffy on and I don't think I have ever had a ball hit on it.

Funny. I also have life insurance, but so far it hasn't been worth it. I do wonder what percentage of these things get chipped. You hear about the ones that do but not all of the ones that don't.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Passionforpinball.com is Cliffy's site and where to buy that protector. It's easy to install.

Thanks. For some reason, I didn't think he sold direct. I'll check it out.

#1121 8 years ago

Hi all. My new WoZ is coming tomorrow. Are there any adjustments that most people find they need to make that I should be on the look out for? Things like sling and flipper power settings and the like?

#1124 8 years ago

Ok, thanks all. Much appreciated.

#1128 8 years ago

Thanks again for the replies. WoZ came today. I've been spending almost all afternoon playing. Loving it! Here are the pictures:

IMG_0675_(resized).JPGIMG_0675_(resized).JPG
IMG_0673_(resized).JPGIMG_0673_(resized).JPG
IMG_0671_(resized).JPGIMG_0671_(resized).JPG
IMG_0670_(resized).JPGIMG_0670_(resized).JPG

#1130 8 years ago

So, just a few questions:

1. When the winged monkey captures Dorthy, he gets caught by the door on the way up. He always powers through and successfully deposits Dorthy in the castle. But, is there some way to adjust the door to move it slightly forward, or adjust the monkey to move it slightly back. I don't want him to keep getting scraped by the door.

2. The code that came with it is 4.11. I'm thinking about playing on it for a while to get a feel for the game and then updating. Any downside to doing this other than not having the best code? For example, are there major bugs?

3. My plunger seems stiff. It is hard to control the softness of the plunge. Is this normal, or should I adjust somehow?

4. Occasionally, the right sling seems to double fire. I need to check the gap. It could just be slightly too close.

5. Sometimes, right at the start of a game, before I plunge, I'm in witch hurry up mode. That seems wrong. Is it?

#1133 8 years ago

Well there is something wrong with my witch switch. It is not a normal leaf switch. It looks almost like a push button switch on both sides. When the switch is hit, it doesn't always turn off. I can see this in switch test mode where they are both green. If I start a game with both switches hit, I get the witch hurry up right away.

Can anyone tell me how those dual switches are supposed to work? Maybe it is a bad switch?

#1136 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

There are 2 witch switches so figure out if it's the upper or lower. Then loosen the switch on the underside, adjust and retighten.

So, I figured out that when I press the switch, it registers. Then, I let it go, and it doesn't press back hard enough against the switch to turn it off. So, it may be both. Can you tell me what you mean by loosening, adjusting and retighting? It looks pretty tight under there, and I'm not entirely sure how this one works or what specifically to adjust. Thanks.

#1139 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

You'll see 2 micro switches on the underside of the witch . They have a roller attached to them. Push the witch switch as a ball would and observe how it works while looking at the underside. Each of the 2 switches is attached to the mounting plate. You need to loosen the switch where it mounts then you can slide it towards or away from the activating plate. I think it was 2 very small Phillips screws.

Quoted from arcadenerd925:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89824152@N07/9474484418/in/album-72157634995600921/
Lloyd posted this pic in another thread with a similar problem. It shows the underside of the witch and the nuts to loosen are circled in red (its a very thin red line, so zoom in a bit if you cant see it). Once loose, you can adjust how close/far the switches are, sounds like they need to come back a a little.
Let us know how it works out.

You guys rock! That was the exact problem and fix. Thanks for the clear explanation and posting of pictures. It really helped and things are working again. I was hoping there would be an easy adjustment, but I kept looking at the thing and couldn't figure out what it was. You saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks!

#1140 8 years ago

Well . . . now my ruby slipper fell off the flipper bat. I assume this is fixed with just a couple drops of super glue, is that right?

#1143 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I talked with Mr Melvin Anderson of JJP quality control witch switch division. While he is sorry you had witch trouble he suspects someone monkeyed with the witch after it left the factory.

monkey_office_1a_(resized).jpg

I'm guessing the travel sprites loosened that switch and set it back.

It's so interesting to play a new pin and think that something may be wrong but not be completely sure. As I was playing, I kept noticing a scratchy white noise sound that repeatedly went off. I was wondering if a speaker was malfunctioning. It got to the point that I couldn't stand playing because that was all I could hear. Then, it occurred to me that it almost sounded like straw rustling and that it might be the scarecrow. But, as I watched the game, I didn't hit that rollover enough to make it sound so often. Finally, I took the glass off, and started hitting the ball around on the switches. I noticed that all of my SCARECROW letters were lit without once hitting the rollover. Looked under the playfield and discovered that the leaf switch was gapped so close it was basically touching. Easy fix, but because I wasn't familiar enough with the game, it took a while to figure out what that awful sound was.

#1149 8 years ago

So, here's my next question: a hard shot to the crystal ball spinner from the right flipper causes the ball to go through the spinner and sometimes bounce back out (again through the spinner) without going to the VUK. I haven't gotten a good look at where it is being rejected. Is this a common problem, and is there a tweak to fix it? (I should note that soft shots and shots from the left flipper while cradling two balls both work ok.)

#1151 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's how they all work that I've played. It's a tight shot.

Wow, that's a tough shot with a lot of risk to have it be rejected so often when you seemingly nailed it. Any tips for when and how to get the crystal ball shot?

#1172 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

OK - WoZ has been ordered. It was built within the past 6 months, so all of the lightboard issues should be resolved. NIB, so I have the JJP warranty if I need it.
Are there any specific "out of box" tweaks to be aware of? Re-read the posts by Nokoro to get an idea of potential hiccups I may have, but other than that...The Cliffy set is about the only thing I need to grab for HUO play, right?

Congrats! I'm loving mine.

I did have a fair number of tweaks and issues out of the box. It worked, just had some loose bolts and switches that needed to be adjusted. It was hard to figure out some of the issues since I had only played on location before and wasn't entirely sure what was normal behavior. My advice: after you play those first 3-4 mandatory games and want to take a rest, go into switch test mode and make sure no switches are closed that shouldn't be. Tap around the playfield to see if any close by vibration such that you would have to adjust the gap. Etc. You'll also be rewarded with a beautiful switch matrix display which will have you wondering how you ever put up with the Stern DMD one.

Also, as I have been playing, I've noticed a few things. For example, soft hits on the castle targets don't register hits on my machine. I increased the castle flipper power, and that seems to have helped. The wonderful thing is that, unlike Stern games, almost everything is adjustable. Despite the few issues I've had, I'm really impressed with the technology that JJP developed. Enjoy!

#1182 8 years ago

My ceilings are too low in the basement to put my 75th anniversary topper on. I'm thinking about trying to mount it to the wall. Has anyone done that or anything else with the topper?

#1185 8 years ago

I bought the munchkinland cliffy but no others. Now, I just have to build up the courage to install it. . . .

#1187 8 years ago

Yeah, the drilling into my brand new machine part is the part that really scares me.

#1203 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Got my game setup! I was unaware that the standards were numbered? Few questions about it!
1. Never mind! Turning the game off and on with the USB in did the update automatically.
2. When I'm in the menus, there's a slight humming that comes out of the speakers. What would cause this?
3. How do I make the State Fair Balloon more "active"?
4. Speaking of the State Fair Balloon...When the playfield is lifted, is the game supposed to rest on that? Seems strange...
5. The little metal slot coming through the apron next to the State Fair Balloon - what's the purpose of it? It seems to cause ball stick issues once in a while.
6. At the top of the playfield where the glass contacts the back of the trim, there's that black clasp running all the way across. That makes it super hard to push the glass up. Does that get easier over time? I don't want to break my glass.
Otherwise, I've not had any real issues with the game. Is the Castle Playfield supposed to have what feels like a really weak flipper? It would make sense given that you're so close to the parts and it.

Congrats!

Some answers (I don't have all -- new owner myself): you can individually control the strength to every coil. So, increase the state fair balloon a bit. I also increased the flipper on the castle play field to register more hits on the targets. As for the glass, I find that if I gently press the top of the glass down by the black clasp while I slide it in that extra half inch, it goes in without a problem. I have a hum from the speakers when the LEDs shine bright in attract mode. I'm assuming it is normal.

#1205 8 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

Spots are tied into the existing spots. All parts purchased from JJP, 12 volt LEDs came with the spots.

So, is there an already existing connector that these plug into, or is it more complicated than that to set them up? I'm not sure what it means that they hook up to existing spots.

#1208 8 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

No connector. You can make a connector or use standard electrical connectors. You will be connecting the new spot wires to the 12 volt wires for the existing spots.

Forgive my electrical ignorance: does this mean cutting the wires and splicing two sets of wires off of it -- the ones for the existing spots and the ones for the new spots? I've never done this before.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

I talked to Ken at JJP - he suggested using the unused 12v connectors by the State Fair Balloon.

So, does that mean no cutting of wires, just plugging?

#1219 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Not 100% sure, but here's the exact response I got:
"The lighting system in the WOZ is separate from the spotlights and runs on 7.5 volts and communicates through digital data cables so it is not a good idea to wire anything to the GIs. 
Your best bet would be to run the wires over to the unused 12 volt spotlight connector near the ballon bumper."

I'm feeling blind because I can't seem to find that unused connector. Are you going to do that? If so, I might wait and copy off of you, especially if you take some good pictures (hint, hint).

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Any tips on removing the castle playfield? Trying to install these protectors and can't figure out how to get under it.

Aren't there detailed instructions in the game manual? I seem to remember that, though I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment.

#1223 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I'll keep trying. As long as I'm not going to totally ruin some assembly...Never had this problem on any of the other games I've owned. Could just be that this playfield is so much more packed that it contributes to the issue.

Just making sure, but did you remove the two pieces of packing foam at the back end of the playfield? The first time I took it out, I couldn't get it back in until I realized there was packing foam glued on back there.

#1226 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I had to remove the packing foam too, so bizarre , but then maybe not?

Thinking about it, it probably makes the whole game really secure for shipment. I just think there should have been a note about it. It would have saved me a couple of minutes of frustration trying to push the playfield back in and wondering why it wasn't going.

#1232 8 years ago

I have a couple more questions:

1. How easy is it for you to collect on the HOADC shot? I keep thinking I hit it, but the ball keeps bouncing back without going in. I didn't expect to have such a hard time. I own a Star Trek Pro which has a similar under the upper flipper shot, and I can hit it relatively consistently. Looking at that shot and comparing it to WoZ, the two shots are different in the sense that in WoZ, the ball hits the wire ball guide at nearly a 90 degree angle, whereas in Star Trek, the angle of the area where the ball hits is much different, seemingly making it more conducive to falling back into the shooter lane. Anyway, do others have a hard time with this shot, and are there any tips?

2. My ruby slipper on the right flipper broke in half and fell off again. I put in a ticket request yesterday, and Lloyd responded today saying he would forward it to parts to take care of. Kudos for the great customer service! I never expected a response on a Sunday. Now that I have to take the flipper bat out, I'm thinking of putting super bands on. I don't have them on my other games, but I'm having a really difficult time getting the ball under control on WoZ. The flipper angle is a bit more shallow, I think. What is the consensus of super bands with this game? Also, what colors do you think would look good?

#1245 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

There was a note in mine that clearly stated to remove the packing foam before operating the game

I'm sure this was my bad and that there was a note like that. I don't recall it specifically pointing to the foam in the back of the playfield, but I may have missed it. It was not visible from the game. Anyway, all is well.

#1246 8 years ago

Thanks, Chosen_S about the advice on super bands.

Can I bump up this question:

Quoted from Nokoro:

1. How easy is it for you to collect on the HOADC shot? I keep thinking I hit it, but the ball keeps bouncing back without going in. I didn't expect to have such a hard time. I own a Star Trek Pro which has a similar under the upper flipper shot, and I can hit it relatively consistently. Looking at that shot and comparing it to WoZ, the two shots are different in the sense that in WoZ, the ball hits the wire ball guide at nearly a 90 degree angle, whereas in Star Trek, the angle of the area where the ball hits is much different, seemingly making it more conducive to falling back into the shooter lane. Anyway, do others have a hard time with this shot, and are there any tips?

I'm really curious as to others experiences with this shot. Thanks!

#1249 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Very difficult shot. I have more luck backhanding it from the right flipper.

Well, I'm glad its not just me. I've backhanded it with two balls on the right flipper, never with just one. Is that what you mean? During multiball?

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Either I've become a better player, or my game is just setup different. I had the hardest time with the Away Team shot on Star Trek, but the HOADC shot on my WOZ is nothing compared to that. I do use superbands, so that COULD have something to do with it? I make it almost every time I aim for it.

That's really strange because I could never understand why people complained about the Away Team shot. It was challenging, but I made it a good percentage of the time. The HOADC shot is like 1 in 10 for me. I just lowered the flipper coil power a bit, so maybe that will help. How do you like the superbands on WOZ?

#1265 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I get a ball stuck issue right here on about 50% of my soft plunges. I have NO idea how as there's nothing to catch on. Anyone else?

Yes, I get that too, but not 50% of the time; just once in a while. It baffled me as well. Perhaps the balls are slightly magnetized. I bought some of the pinball life ultraglossy ones but haven't swapped them out yet. Usually, a stiff slap on the side of the cabinet does the trick.

Quoted from wtatumjr:

The way I understand it the monkey picks up the ball and deposits it in the correct place but the correct place isn't holding it. My WOZ is 120 miles away now but the way i remember the monkey releases the ball by cutting off the upper magnet. A lower magnet should activate to "catch" the ball. It sounds like your lower magnet is not activating. Mine did this because a screw on one of the monkey switches came out so make sure each of the upper and lower monkey switches have 2 screws in each. My whole switch would pivot causing the sequence to malfunction. Otherwise check with Frank or Loyd.

I'm not sure there is a lower magnet. At least I couldn't see one on mine. There is what appears to be a small rubber lip that would hold the ball and prevent it from falling onto the playfield. If the ball is not centered on the monkey, or if the monkey lets it go a split second too soon, I can see it falling. Isn't there a switch adjustment to make sure the monkey is fully retracted behind the castle doors, or am I making that up?

#1276 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

but starting Rescue MB is still confusing me. I haven't managed to do it yet. I don't fully understand how to.

Your inability to capture the ball because of the monkey switch is likely preventing you from starting Rescue MB. Fix that problem, and you'll have more success. It is one of the harder modes to start for me, but I've done it a number of times. Made it to the witch battle a few times as well, but still haven't melted her. Really fun game! Still trying to figure out everything myself.

#1277 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Need a little help on gameplay too
I've been getting to fireball frenzy and have no idea where to shoot, it seems I shoot for the blinking lights and I complete the shot, but nothing happens to award the shot??
How do I complete FF?

I believe you have to shoot for the blue shot which moves around. Hitting the flashing red shots causes the witch to shoot a fireball at you. Three fireballs and you are out. So you want to avoid those shots. At least, I believe that is right. . . .

#1303 8 years ago

Just had my best game since getting WOZ! 470,000 points (not as good as the rest of you, but hey I'm an average player). Finally got a jewel for starting Haunted multiball. I had no idea what I was doing during it. It probably didn't help that I also started ECMB and Crystal Ball weak flippers at the same time. Man, what a rush and a blast!

#1308 8 years ago

Nicoga, I wonder if the downstream LED boards are getting a bad signal. Since all of them are out, perhaps it is a bad connection on the first board in the chain. The manual can help you identify which one that is. Reseat the connectors. If that doesn't work, I would contact JJP Tech Support.

#1309 8 years ago

I just installed Titan translucent rings on my slingshots. Wow! They look fantastic! The light completely shines through which enhances the lighting effects for all the modes. Highly recommended.

#1318 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Anyone have any tips for wiping down the playfield and waxing? I've got just under 100 games on it and want to wipe things down this weekend when I install my Cliffy's. I don't like having to take everything off for a cleaning. There's a lot of nooks and crannies on this game. I know it seems like a silly question, but it's something I tend to struggle with on every game I own. Everyone says "wax your playfield" and "wipe it down with Novus 1" regularly. I do that, but I'm never sure if I'm getting enough of the field. With plastics, mechanisms, and hidden spots galore, this pin is giving me the most anxiety when it comes to a good cleaning!

I'm going to be doing the same thing this weekend. I want to install the Munchkinland playfield protector. Then, I want to wax. I've held off waxing for now because I didn't want the ball flying around like crazy -- which usually happens for the first 30+ games after waxing -- while that playfield was unprotected.

I don't take things apart to wax. I just get the areas that are accessible. I think this is most people's approach from what I have gathered, unless they are doing a full shop. One thing I have found useful, however, is to cut a bit off of a Swiffer pad and duct tape it to the end of a plastic or wooden rod, making a nice padded tip. I spray the end with Novus 1 and then gently run it up and down hard to reach areas and lanes, like the opening to orbits. It doesn't go all the way, but you can get a bit more cleaning done that way.

#1320 8 years ago

I just took another look at the playfield. It doesn't seem like it would be too bad to wax. Most of the playfield is wide open. The mini playfields seem accessible enough. The only parts that aren't accessible are the orbit -- which you don't really see anyway -- and the area near the OZ lanes. As for the area near the OZ lanes, I'm going to try to wax if I can, but if not, I'm not sure it is a big deal. That area doesn't get a lot of action, and the coil there is fairly low power so the ball seems pretty gentle when it bounces around. Not like an area near pops or slings where there is a lot of fast action.

One question for everyone: How do you wax around the rollovers? Do you just wax over them as if they were a part of the playfield, or do you just go up to the edge as best you can? It would seem like an area where wax can accumulate.

#1322 8 years ago

I removed the munchkinland playfield and installed the cliffy protector this morning. It was . . . difficult, but successful. I'm always surprised when I do something like this that the machine still works afterwards. . . .

#1323 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm always surprised when I do something like this that the machine still works afterwards. . . .

I spoke too soon. Hitting the left flipper button caused a flutter of white lights across the rainbow targets and several of the inserts. It gradually got worse and worse. Fiddling under the playfield seemed to fix the problem, but only temporarily. Diagnosing the issue, I discovered that if pressed the button just slightly so that the left flipper would trigger but not the munchkinland flipper, then the issue would not happen. So, it was being triggered by the munchkinland flipper. Eventually, I noticed that some of the wires to the lightboards go right past that flipper on the underside of the playfield. Those lightboards are early in the chain and can affect everything. I moved the wires out of the way of the flipper, thinking they must have gotten in the way while I was reassembling the playfield, and reseated the connectors. I've played 3 games, and it seems to be working. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. This is turning out to be a stressful day.

#1331 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Your fix sounds correct fingers crossed it will be fine!

Thanks. Yes, I've played several more games, and it seems to be solved.

I'm having another problem resulting from the installation of the cliffy munchkinland protector. Now, when I plunge, about 50% or more of the time, the ball won't make it around to the pops. I've watched it carefully, and believe it is catching the right most edge of the cliffy protector, where it hangs over into the shooter lane. This rattles the ball and slows it considerably. Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do? I'm thinking of loosening the three screws that hold the munchkinland playfield down by a few turns to see if that will raise it enough so that it is out of the way.

#1335 8 years ago

Thanks dmacy. Your pictures are spot on. That is exactly the trouble area. I think I just increased the reliability of the plunge to 80%, which is frankly where it was before I put the cliffy on. I loosened the 3 munchkinland hex screws by a few turns. I also noticed that the forked metal ramp in the shooter lane (I'm not sure what it is called) had a very steep angle at the beginning. I loosened the two screws and slid the two fork ends a bit to the right. After doing both things, I had several perfect plunges in a row, and I don't think I ever had a perfect plunge before that didn't feel just a slight bit sluggish. I still have a few balls that get hung up in that lane, but I can live with that. If it gets worse, I may try your suggestion about spacers, but I am in no mood to take that playfield off again anytime soon.

#1336 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Getting the Munchkin playfield out was a breeze compared to the damn Winkie VUK.

And that's why I won't be doing that.

#1353 8 years ago
Quoted from Tigixx:

I love this machine. My son from Seattle just came and played it for the first time this last week and now its game on to see who gets the highest score !

That's great. I wish I had someone in my house to compete against, but my family doesn't play that much and when they do, unfortunately, they don't get on the board. So, I just have to compete against the factory default high scores.

Quoted from craigj:

I'm very close to purchasing a new ruby red. These things are priced a little out of my comfort zone but this is the closest I've come to pulling the trigger. Thoughts? We are more of a one pin house, trying to make it count. I was told there are not many left new.

Call some distributors. I bet there are a bunch of RR's still out there. It is a great game. Very different than anything else I've played. I also think it will likely hold its value quite well so if you ever grow tired of it, you can sell, buy a Stern, and have money left over.

#1354 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Horse of a different color shot behind the upper right flipper. Hit that when you have a full stable of all different colored horses or all the same color and it's a "win". A win gets you 0.5 added to the multiplier for munchkin modes. It's applied during bonus.

I thought a loss added 0.5 to the multiplier while a win added +1. Am I wrong?

#1358 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A loss adds nothing...it might even drop you 0.5, but it never goes below 1.

Well then I'm never going for that shot unless I have a win lined up. It is too dangerous. Thanks.

#1364 8 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Learn the shot, you can get MONSTER bonuses if you get good at it.

The shot is so tight on mine, I almost never make it, like only a 5% success rate, unless I backhand it with two balls on the right flipper. Sometimes, I think I make it only to have the ball bounce back out or get pinched between the flipper and the lane.

#1368 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also, I think I need to start trying to control my multiballs more. My current approach is basically controlled chaos - shoot shots while the balls are going bonkers. I need to learn to trap up and take my time.

For me, trapping during multiball is extremely difficult on WOZ. The angle of the flippers is much shallower than my other two pins, and the balls seem to roll right off. The good thing, though, is that when I do trap and shoot just one ball at a time, I find getting control over that one ball again without draining is manageable.

#1369 8 years ago

In case anyone missed it, WOZ was featured on the Sci channel on Machines: How They Work. You can find it on demand. Nice computer renderings of exploded views of the game.

#1371 8 years ago

I just had the most amazing game! Somehow I stacked munchkin frenzy, rescue MB, emerald city MB, and crystal ball lights out. I got my munchkin award up to 260,000 points. I've never had that much from a munchkin mode. If I had tilted, I would have lost it all. I love how the game is coded to only award points for certain modes during the bonus. Completely makes you think twice about nudging when you have the points built up that high. This game is totally unique and thrilling (when it isn't beating the crap out of me).

#1389 8 years ago

I'm in Jamaica right now and have no desire to return. The only thing that remotely makes me want to come back is knowing that I get to play WOZ again.

#1393 8 years ago

So I've discovered the secret to high scores with me is to stack a munchkin mode with a crystal ball mode and, if possible, some multiball. I just got a 400,000+ point bonus which ended up being 80% of the points for my entire game.

#1394 8 years ago

Has anyone tried to do anything to hide the gap at the end of the munchkin huts where the lock ball arm comes out? I don't like staring at the mechanical guts and think it might be more aesthetic if I hung a small piece of black fabric, glued to the inside. Anyone try something similar?

#1398 7 years ago

Two questions:

1. I just noticed that the munchkin multiplier that you get from collecting HOADC doesn't carry over from ball to ball. Is there a way to change that in settings? I didn't see one.

2. Do people find the hurry ups to be lucrative in terms of points? I don't have time to watch the screen to see how many points I'm getting from them, but it doesn't seem like a lot.

#1401 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

1) Only good for that ball...no carry-over. Not sure why you'd want it as it would be too powerful.

I agree it could be too powerful. At the same time, I have only been able to cash in on the munchkin multiplier once, though it was a biggie, netting a total of 400,000+ points in the bonus. The difficulty of making the HOADC shot for me made me want to preserve my bonus multiplier when I get it. At least the number of horses carries over.

#1403 7 years ago

I installed the Titan silicon rings on the main flippers. I feel like I have a lot more control and am better able to trap the ball. They also look a heck of a lot better than the stock rubbers which always seemed dusty.

#1405 7 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Supers or Titans on all flippers. That's the way to go.

Yep. All other flippers have been switched. Getting the Titans on the mini flipper was a royal pain.

#1408 7 years ago

My lock ball arm is getting close to releasing two balls at once. I saw a setting for controlling the timing of that arm. Am I right that I should lower the timing slightly? Is there any other adjustment to help with this?

#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah - the ball lock release timer setting has something to do with that. I just adjust it down a few ms, play a few games, and make additional adjustments as I see fit. What's crazy is that it will work fine for 5 games or so, and then the next game it will release 2 balls at once. All about getting that sweet spot.

Thanks!

#1413 7 years ago

I have to say that properly leveling this pin makes a huge difference. I was at 5.9 degrees while maxing out the height of the back leg levelers due to the slope of my floor and carpeting. Another pinsider suggested I move the location of the nut on the front leg levelers from being between the leg leveler and the leg to being behind the leg. I now have the pitch up to 6.3 degrees and the game plays a lot faster and smoother. Problems I was having with inconsistent plunges seem to have lessened. And, slow balls that got diverted by mylar or roll over targets also have lessened. I know there are some critiques of JJP pins as being too slow and floaty, but I really don't think that is the case once properly leveled. My game now plays plenty fast, and the multiballs are even more insane.

#1425 7 years ago

Ugh! I was in the wicked witch battle, thinking now is the time I'm finally going to melt the witch, when one of my balls got stuck between the drop target and the plastic protector above it. The target kept bouncing up and down rapidly, keeping the ball trapped. It wouldn't stop. I was afraid I was going to break something, so I quickly opened the coin door to cut the power to the coils. I closed it quickly, but it was too late. Double drain!

Is there a setting for coin door ball save? I didn't see one in the menus.

#1432 7 years ago

An observation and a question:

Observation: If extra ball is lit, and you are playing There's No Place Like Home, hitting the saucer will still award the extra ball. I wouldn't have expected that.

Question: When is the munchkin multiplier (given by collecting HOADC) applied? During the bonus award at the end of the ball when the munchkin points are applied, or only during the munchkin mode itself? In other words, let's say I start Munchkin Frenzy without a multiplier, and I score 10,000 points. Then I get the multiplier for 1.5x. I then start Munchkin lullaby and score 10,000 points. During the bonus round, will I receive 30,000 points (1.5x 20,000), or will I just receive 20,000 points because the multiplier was only applied during Munchkin Lullaby, and the points took that multiplier into account?

#1434 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Munchkin mode points are awarded during bonus count, including multipliers.

So I don't need the multiplier while I'm playing the mode, is that right? I just need it before I lose the ball?

#1445 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Munchkin mode points are awarded during bonus count, including multipliers.

Ok, I'm still confused about this. Let's say I play Lollipop Lullaby and get 10,000 points. I have a Munchkin multiplier of 1.5x. At the end of ball bonus screen it will say:

Lollipop Lullaby 10,000
Munchkin Multiplier 1.5x 10,000

So, in both cases, it says 10,000 points. I should get 15,000 points. Perhaps that is calculated and not shown except in the total? If so, what is the meaning of showing "Munchkin Multiplier 1.5x 10,000"?

#1447 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's how it's always been. Keith explained it once somewhere...it is confusing, but the multiplier is actually applied first.

It's too bad it is not more straight forward. I normally like seeing my base score and how it gets multiplied. It makes me feel good. Here, I just feel confused.

#1450 7 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Perhaps it just means this:
You have the Lollipop Lullaby bonus of 10,000. The Munchkin Multiplier is at 1.5x, so therefore you are getting 1.5x 10,000 points. So it doesn't mean there are two 10,000 bonuses. Perhaps it was done this way in the event of another bonus so they get added together? For instance:
Lollipop Lullaby 10,000
Dorothy's Diapers 7,000
Munchkin Multiplier 1.5x 17,000

That may be. Though, you would think it would be "Total 17,000" instead of "Munchkin Multiplier 1.5x 17,000".

And, Dorothy's Diapers isn't being implemented until 7.0 code.

#1454 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Quick question from a soon to be buyer. Does the game have ball saver? I have a 6yr old that loves playing but isnt a good player yet. I read the game didnt have ball saver but not sure if they coded it in yet. Thanks!

Yes, but you have to set it. I believe the default is no saver.

#1463 7 years ago

I have to hand it to Keith. The way he programmed the outlanes to grow 10 times in size every time I make it to the witch battle is sheer genius.

#1476 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Tracking our WOZ as it slowly makes its way across the US. Hopefully will arrive before the weekend otherwise it will be a loooong weekend lol. I have been keeping myself occupied by working on a couple of my project pins that I need to get out of the way.
Any reccomentations for items to check before first power up?

Congrats! Loose connections and screws, as well as switches that need to be adjusted, seem to be pretty common out of the box. Mine had a few. Some may be obvious and others will reveal themselves as you play.

#1480 7 years ago

I noticed that sometimes when I'm done playing, I just sit there and stare at the machine. The thing is beautiful. So much to take in.

#1482 7 years ago
Quoted from Vexx_182:

Also turned on my machine today and the screen ran fine but none of the lights on the play field were working. I gave it a few minutes but still nothing so i turned off the machine and turned it back on and wha lah everything worked again. Anyone else had this happen? If so is it just a common glitch or something to look into further. My WoZ only had 150 Plays on it when i bought it so i wouldn't think it would be anything electrical with it being almost mint.

It's happened to me twice. I have a ticket in about it, but no answer yet. It is very uncommon in my experience, but I guess I'm not alone.

#1493 7 years ago

What do the two witch light inserts in front of the witch mean? Sometimes they are both green; sometimes one is green; sometimes one is orange; sometimes one is orange and the other is flashing. . . . I may have this a bit mixed up, but can anyone explain the different configurations? Thanks!

#1498 7 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure I've seen one witch insert orange and the other green so not sure what that means. I'll pay closer attention. It is not intuitive certainly.

#1500 7 years ago

I've figured out the witch inserts:

Orange = witch skill shot is ready
One flashing white = two shots away from starting witch hurry up
Two flashing white = one shot away from starting witch hurry up
One green = one hurry up completed
Two green = two hurry ups completed
Two green plus fireball = fireball frenzy ready

You can have combinations of the above. So if one is orange and the other one is green, it means skill shot ready and you have completed two hurry ups. If one is green and two are flashing white, it means one hurry up completed and one more shot to start the next hurry up.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's it.

#1501 7 years ago

Finally melted the witch! So cool!

#1515 7 years ago

Finally beat the default GC score with a score of 704,453! My highest yet! (Take that JJP!!! ) I'm really starting to get a feel for the game and how to combine all the modes. Awesome fun!

#1520 7 years ago
Quoted from Vexx_182:

My castle door switches seem to be registering while my ball is in play down on the main play field. Ill be playing my game and then all of the sudden i hear the crack of the axe for the castle doors and the winkie music comes on along with the blacked out rescue letters up on the screen for about 2 seconds and then in goes back to normal play. Any ideas what may be causing this? Running the most current 6.06 Version of the software.

Sounds like the switch is too closely gapped and being triggered by vibration. I haven't examined that switch to know what kind it is, but most of the switches are adjustable. Not sure if you will have to remove the upper playfield to get at it.

To test this, put the game in switch test mode and bang around the playfield, both regular and upper, to see if vibration causes it to trigger.

#1523 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

My monkey started dropping the ball and I noticed that it was snagging on the door today. After looking around here I tried adding washers to the door but that actually caused the door to deflect more into the monkey, I next tried loosening the upper playfield and nudging it but still couldn't get enough clearance (also I think I may be missing a screw there)
Anyway the solution i came up with was super easy and since I have not already seen it I thought I would share. I noticed that the door stops against a rail back there where the monkey drops the ball. All i had to so was add one of those stick on pads to the back of the door positioned so that the pad would rest against the rail. Presto! Plenty of clearance now.

Great! I thought about doing something like that myself. Does the door stick out too much now?

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Not really alhough a thinner pad would be ideal I figure it will edentually wear/compress. From the players position it is not at all noticable. The second picture is actually the door with the pad in place.... Wait, no this is the picture with the pad in place.

I just did this with a tiny piece of weather stripping. Seems to compress down to an ideal thickness. The monkey moves back and forth smoothly, and the door looks completely normal from the player's position.

1 week later
#1569 7 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a new shooter rod for my Ruby Red WOZ. I have a chrome housing and a black knob that came with it. Has anyone installed the Modfather rods? What do you think? I like the ones for the RR WOZ, but some of the other ones with the swirls are cool too. Has anyone experimented with other rods? Also, is there any other vendor who sells rods like that?

#1571 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Yes all his mods are awesome and he is a great guy also to boot! Got a bunch of his mods and Shooter rod on my WOZECLE!! Don't hesitate to ask him questions.

Cool. Did you get the larger knob on the rod or the smaller one?

#1576 7 years ago

That looks great! Larger may be the way to go for me.

#1595 7 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

The rr also came with the printed manual...not a game changer, but handy when you need to troubleshoot something

It is a beautiful manual. A really nice bonus.

#1609 7 years ago

I installed the munchkinland cliffy because of what others said. I've looked at it a few times since installation, and it's definitely taken some hits from the ball. So, I agree that it is pretty necessary.

#1610 7 years ago

Just had an awesome game where everything went right! Melted the witch. Completed ECMB. Started Haunted Forest Multiball with ECMB and with 2x crystal ball scoring all stacked together. Ultimately, I got a score of 965,563, my highest to date. I wish I could have pushed it over the edge to 1,000,000, but not today.

All in all, even though I play a 3 ball game, I had 6 balls with the extra balls that were awarded to me. Just curious how many people play 3 ball vs. 5 ball games. I've heard a lot of people do 5 balls, but I think if I did that, my best games would last perhaps too long. I don't consider myself a great player, but once I get to know a table, I usually have a decent number of good games that can last a while.

#1615 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I set mine to three ball and set the special to add a ball as well. I'm curious though, of the people who really enjoy the game, how many plays do you have in so far?
After about a month between the wife and I (and occasional friends) were already close to 1000 plays. I was suprised at a ECLE being sold with under 500 plays that had been passed around to a couple people already. My only thought was maybe they really didn't like it, but then folks were suprissed at how many we racked up on ours to date.
So home game fans of WOZ... How many plays do you have? Am I just obsessed? I still try to play my other pins sometimes but they just don't have the same magic at the moment.

I have a lot of plays. You are not obsessed. I don't have a lot of pins, so when I get a new one, I play the heck out of it, and then things slow down over time.

#1621 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Touched up the scrapes on the inner sidewalls with a sharpie and finger rubs.

That's an interesting idea. Can you describe more? It worked out ok?

#1626 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

My WOZ was built about 7 months ago. The only light issue I have experienced is two random times on bootup the lights didn't come on at all. I figured the PC just didn't recognize a driver or something as after a reboot all was good again. We regularly have ours on about 4-5 hours at a time.

I put in a ticket about this. Vic suggested I move the USB connections in the back of the metal box to other slots. I need to do that this weekend. I've only had this happen a few times, like you.

#1639 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Question on flipper rubbers, do most keep the stock black rubbers or have you switched to something else? If something else what are you using and how do you like it?

I switched to Titan silicon flipper rubbers. They look great, are much cleaner, and handle quite well.

#1641 7 years ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

Same here - a worthwhile (and inexpensive) upgrade in my opinion. I switched out all five flipper rubbers, post sleeves and all of the easily accessible rubber rings. Started with yellow on the main flippers but then decided red looked better with the ruby slippers.

Nice. If not too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it with the red flipper rubbers. I kept the colors the same but did swap out all the flippers. I also put clear Titan rubbers on the slings which look amazing.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Interesting, maybe I should have ordered two sets then. I guess I'll see how they hold up, hard to see it being worse than my slipper on a black flipper which only lasted a month.
Maybe if the right one breaks too I will epoxy the slippers back together on top of red flippers.

My right one came off within a few days. I super glued it back on, and it broke in half after a week. JJP sent me a new one. They said they had a bad batch of slippers which weren't flush and didn't adhere well. The new one has held up so far. Knock on wood.

Count me in the group that likes the slippers. It was a little hard getting used to, but now I can't imagine the game without them.

#1672 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

And here is the titan competition red ring on WOZ.

That looks great! I may have to do that. Thanks for posting.

#1673 7 years ago

Ok, really strange request here, but can someone try this for me: Start ECMB. While the balls are bouncing around, open the coin door and go into test mode. The game will end and the balls will drain. You can go through the menus for a few seconds. Then, exit test mode and go back into game mode. Look at your "Lock" LED right before the ramp. Is it working?

Don't worry if it isn't. Just turn off the pin, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on again. It will work again.

I want to know if this is just me.

First one to try and report back gets entered into a drawing to win an all expense paid trip to Kansas! (Expenses not included.)

#1681 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, really strange request here, but can someone try this for me: Start ECMB. While the balls are bouncing around, open the coin door and go into test mode. The game will end and the balls will drain. You can go through the menus for a few seconds. Then, exit test mode and go back into game mode. Look at your "Lock" LED right before the ramp. Is it working?
Don't worry if it isn't. Just turn off the pin, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on again. It will work again.
I want to know if this is just me.
First one to try and report back gets entered into a drawing to win an all expense paid trip to Kansas! (Expenses not included.)

Bump for this. I'm really curious if this happens to others. Would someone be able to do me a favor and try this with the glass off? Thanks!

#1693 7 years ago

Variations in power affect game play a lot.
I have 4 games on one 20 amp breaker. I have them all set so that they play pretty good when all are turned on at the same time.
If I fire up only one game, like the WOZ or TH they play way too strong and fast.
Other than screw up all my settings, I just turn on all the games and the problem is solved.
Also sometime all the games play super fast and strong, when running at the same time.
This has to do with the available current on my street at any given time.
I have a 200 amp line to my house but I think once in awhile its less than that.

I believe WOZ is very sensitive to variations in voltage. My AC seems to have an effect on WOZ while not affecting other pins:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-my-ac-drawing-power-away-from-my-pins

#1703 7 years ago

After I started using the P21S, I havent looked at anything else. It puts down the thinnest layer of wax and I love the lack of white dust and that it leaves an incredible shine that lasts.

I have Blitz wax. How does P21S compare to Blitz?

#1704 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Just got the mylar kit from JJP sent to me, they also sent those decals for the PF. Just thinking, should I just put down the decal in the state fair balloon area, for extra protection? I plan to own the game 10 years until the kids are off to college. My game is only 2 weeks old, the playfield is perfect. I haven't stuck down the mylar yet, just wondering if I should bother with those 3 additional stickers they sent. One is for the tree pops area, one is for the winkie target and one is for the balloon area, also have the mylar for all those areas too. Any thoughts?

Aren't the decals for people who have the old playfields that showed early signs of wear? I wouldn't think you would want to use them at all unless you actually get wear. I would just use the mylar if it is not already on there.

#1727 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Has anyone developed a reliable method of hitting the"b" in ball?

Yes, get the ball into the slings and hope for the best.

In other words, no.

#1733 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I might be joining the club soon. Can someone that owns a Ruby Red measure the distance from the floor to the top of the topper for me please? I have a lower ceiling in the basement and want to see if the topper will fit. Thanks!

My topper doesn't fit but the game is awesome anyway.

#1746 7 years ago

Hang in there, Jakers. A lot of us have had issues out of the box. JJP support is great. You'll get your game fully operational soon.

#1755 7 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I get the Forth of July lights when I hit either flipper. Is it possible to narrow down which connection is
loose by shutting down a single board in the software and seeing if the problem goes away?

I got that for the RAINBOW lights when I hit the left flipper. Eventually figured out that when I removed and put back in my munchkinland playfield, I shoved the wires back in such that they were touching the munchkinland flipper shaft. I moved them out of the way and solved the problem.

#1757 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Also, I tested the witch house legs coil and it only pops the legs out halfway. Is there a way to adjust this?
Thanks.

Fortunately, this one is easy. Watch this video:

#1770 7 years ago

Yes, you can order directly from Cliffy, and he has great customer service.

#1796 7 years ago

When you have a non-pinhead over to play some games, how do you describe what to do in WOZ? I love the rules, but they are so complex that I have a hard time describing even short term goals to a newbie. I'm left with wait until you see lock lit and then hit the ball up the ramp; do that three times to start multiball.

#1802 7 years ago

Thanks all. All good ideas. I especially like your approach merccat.

One thought I had was to tell people to hit the rainbow targets (an easy enough goal) until Twister is qualified and then shoot the ramp. If the lock becomes lit, then they are on their way to ECMB. Otherwise, they can try for a munchkin mode.

#1805 7 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Wish I just had walked away last night before I got so frustrated! I should know by know not to work on pins late at night and when tired of trying to get one stubborn problem fixed!

Ha! I've made that mistake before. From now on, I don't work on pins at night or before vacations.

#1814 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I'm getting balls stuck on the upper shooter lane mylar when I soft plunge. It happened to me 3 times during a game the other night and it really breaks the flow of the game. Any advice other than raise the angle of the play field? The only thing I can think of is to cut away some of the mylar that's at the exit of the OZ lanes so gravity can easily take the ball back into the right orbit.

Also try replacing the stock balls with pinballlife oh so shiny ones. I thought my JJP balls were getting slightly magnetized which was contributing to the ball getting hung up in that area. Switching seemed to help. The oh so shiny ones don't get magnetized and look great.

#1833 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thanks LTG. I'll adjust that next time I have the playfield up.
While I was working on WOZ today I decided to fix my munchkin cliffy. Ever since installed, about 50% of the time the ball would hit the edge of the cliffy on its way up the shooter lane and not even make it to the lanes. I took a dremel and shaped the edge. The ball never hits the edge anymore and I can reliable plunge for those skill shots. Just thought I would share.

Interesting. I was having a similar issue but solved it by loosening the screws holding the munchkinland playfield down a few rotations. That raises the playfield and allowed the balls to clear better.

#1838 7 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

I just got a WOZ last week, what an Amazing game. Whenever I played one on location I thought it looked great but was just "kind of fun". I always wanted to get one anyhow because of how it looked and a persons thoughts on a game can change once they understand the rules. I'm so glad I did. I have owned LOTR and currently own TSPP, I think Keith did an incredible job on the rules for WOZ. I love the modes, the light shows that go along with them, and just the different types of modes thrown in "no hold flippers, weak flippers, etc".

Totally agree. WOZ is a difficult game to get a feel for on location. It definitely is something to be appreciated in a home setting. I'm wondering if Hobbit is the same way. I only played it a couple of times on location, but I could tell that there was so much complexity to it that I would probably need 50+ games to really start to understand it.

1 week later
#1852 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Whoohoo!
My best game to date... Got flipper frenzy, haunted multiball and 3 munchkin modes...
At one point had the following stacked: munckin mode, ECMC, Crystal ball, Haunted Multiball, and Rescue Multiball.
Still didn't melt the stinkin witch tho.

Nice! What was your score?

#1854 7 years ago

1 week later
#1866 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I dig. Maybe white or red text with a black stroke for legibility

Agreed. Looks great but hard to read.

#1874 7 years ago

Much better to read. I love the ruby background too.

I second the notion that you should mention how to capture Dorothy -- both the monkey targets and the orbit shot for the magnet.

I also think when you say "spot character switches" you should add "... to light locks".

#1876 7 years ago

Nice!

It's a testament to the complexity and depth of the game how hard it is to get everything on one sheet. And, you didn't even touch the haunted modes. I think you did a nice job balancing what you could fit and what new players would want to know.

#1881 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is the lighting kit still needed on ruby red editions? Thought jjp fixed that, no?

I have a Ruby Red. It is dark like the rest. I got one of those cheap standing lamps with three adjustable lights. I have all three lights adjusted so they shine from the edge of my room onto the playfield. I turn them on when I'm playing WOZ and turn them off when playing other pins. Works really well if you don't want to trouble yourself with the light kit.

#1882 7 years ago

Chosen_S, wow! The white font is even better.

#1890 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

At what point during the game are the Witch's legs supposed to be revealed under the house?

When you make enough lops to start a munchkin mode, the ball drops through the hole, is held by the magnet, and the legs come down. The mode then starts.

#1891 7 years ago

I've had an issue that reoccurs every once in a while. When the ball exits the munchkinland playfield, instead of landing right on the magnet, sometimes it hops a bit to the left and out of reach of the flipper. It has happened to me a couple of times when I was about to melt the witch, and that was really frustrating. It also happened to me a couple of times when I completed There's No Place Like Home. It seems to happen more when the ball is rolling slowly down the playfield, having just been diverted from the ramp, rather than on completing a fast loop and then exiting.

Anyone else experience this, and is there an adjustment to be made to correct it?

#1898 7 years ago

The angle of the mini PF needs adjustment. Check the mounting screws for tightness or obstrutions, especially if you have removed it to install cliffy protector.
You can also add a washer to the rainbow side stand-offs to angle it better towards the hole.
Also check your left to right (horizontal?) main playfield level.

Thanks. That may be it. I raised the right side a bit because the ball was hitting the cliffy on the plunge. I guess I have to find the right balance between leveling the munchkinland playfield and not having the ball hit that edge too much.

#1899 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I'm having a random lighting issue. 2 times in the past week, when I power on the game ALL of the insert lights do not work. A power cycle fixed the problem both times but is this something I should be concerned with?
On another note.....THIS FINALLY HAPPENED!

This happens from time to time but shouldn't happen that often. JJP advised me to move around the placement of the USB plugs in the back of the box under the playfield. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening at a high frequency.

#1904 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thanks Nokoro. I'll move around the USBs when I get home.

Ironically, after I posted this, it happened to me again. I only moved two of the four USB plugs since the other two didn't have enough slack. I guess I'll have to cut some zip ties and move the other two to see if that takes care of the issue.

#1907 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Good luck but I'm thinking Pinballinreno may be onto something witch checking for low available current at the outlet. To me unless you have a usb controller dying on the motherboard or have dirty contacts moving a usb plug shouldn't have any significant difference (maybe the same performance boost your car gets from attaching an edlebroc sticker on the window).
However if current is low, perhaps at the moment the PC is doing its peripheral search/driver load, the device in question (light controller in this case) has not yet gotten to the point where it can return a ready response to the PC.
I would try powering up for a while when WOZ is the only thing drawing power from the circuit and see if that helps. Also may want to remove any extension cords or power strips from the circuit. My WOZ is plugged into a surge protector directly mounted to the outlet.

The problem with diagnosing this issue is that it only happens once every 1-2 months. It really isn't that big a deal. The next time it happens, I'm just going to play a game with all of the lights not working. It will probably be my best game yet.

#1908 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Free to all, enjoy
8.5X11
If anyone wants a specific size please let me know

How is everyone planning on printing these posters? I have a crappy ink jet printer, and the colors always look terrible. Perhaps it could be sent to digital picture lab to get a high quality print on photo paper . . . .

#1928 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hey guys, considering a woz but not sure which version. Price tags on all 3 are pretty hefty nib; with standards seeming to be the most reasonable vs used wozle's. Insight is appreciated and i havent seen a standard in person, but Are there many (any?) Differences between the standard and newer run ECLE's besides green armor, topper, and limited edition plaque?

Keep in mind that a standard won't have invisiglass or a shaker unless they were added. Those are two really good additions. I have a Ruby Red. I love the extra bling, but the gameplay is exactly the same.

1 week later
#1977 7 years ago

Congrats to all the new WOZ owners! You guys are going to love it!

#1996 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Any tips for adjusting the witch target?
It is becoming nearly impossible to register a hit, even with a solid shot. When I went into test mode i could easily activate both switches when pushing on the lower half but holding it square in so the switch was all the way back squarely against the rubber pads would not activate either. Pushing a ball against the switch, it would only activate on the very edges.
Those switches look to be a bit burried in there so I was wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks!

It is easy to adjust. There is a screw or two to loosen, and it slides back and forth.

Quoted from agodfrey:

I'm about to order some wizard mist and spit shine what's the stuff I need for cleaning invisaglass?

Sparkle. It is purple.

#1997 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I can adjust my Spinning House Witch's legs in the test mode - they work perfectly.
Unfortunately, they never work during a game when I start a Munchkin mode. I can see the door struggle, but it won't open.
I've tried increasing the coil strength to open the door (even though the door opened fine in test). I've also tried adjusting the house to be slightly off in test, thinking it would correct itself during an actual game. (I'm thinking the spin adjustment in test mode does not accurately reflect the final house position during a game.)
In any case, they just won't work during a game no matter how I try to adjust it in test.
Has anybody experienced this and/or know of a solution to get the feet to display properly during a game?

This has now started to happen to me, where the in game alignment of the witch's house does not match the alignment in the test. Mine used to work perfectly. Now, it is very hard to get it to work. It also seems as if each time the house spins, I get a different result. Could there be something on the motor that needs to be tightened to keep the alignment a bit better?

#1998 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

It is easy to adjust. There is a screw or two to loosen, and it slides back and forth.

By the way, here is a picture of the switches and the screws:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89824152@N07/9474484418/in/album-72157634995600921/

#2002 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Looks like the first lighting board from J101 works. All the others are flickering crazy colors. Ideas?

Unplug and then plug back in all the connectors to that board. One could be loose causing all the rest downstream to go crazy.

#2006 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That was it. Thanks nokoro.
Ah the fun of owning a jjp game. At least it was a relatively simple fix

That's great! Those things can be pesky.

#2008 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It's not clear when you say "each time the house spins I get a different result." Is that each time it spins in test, or each time during a game (without ever making an adjustment in settings)?
The only way to test it accurately for me was during a game, NOT during the test mode. It is now working consistently when I play.
Just disregard the test mode for the spinning house, and continue to tweak the numbers based on the end position of the house by manually starting a munchkin mode with the glass off in a real game.
Test mode ending-position just didn't match the actual ending-position when in a real game.
If your alignment is different every time during a game without ever making an adjustment in settings, then your problem is different and could be mechanical. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a mechanical motor adjustment.

Yeah, I did adjust it during actual game conditions. It worked for a bit, and then was off again. I'll keep playing with it. It does seem like each time it spins during a game it is in a slightly different position, which is why I was wondering if there was some mechanical adjustment.

#2015 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This game is handing my ass today!! I'm running on complete factory settings minus some coil power adjustments. BUT....I finally hit a good game. Got to the melt the witch sequence, with bitchin lighting and red targets all around; what a bad ass mode! Eventually, there were no more red shots and I finally noticed the castle shot was lit. I made that and the game went nuts and I hit the replay but drained the other ball. correct me if I'm wrong, but is the next shot the ramp and then melt the witch?
Same game, I had a ton of modes running and think I completed emerald mb cause the music playing was the merry ol land of oz and I felt like I accomplished something. But I had lights on, munchkin mode, and emerald so had no idea what was going on.

Yes, to melt the witch, you first need 4 shots, red or white, but white shots will increase the jackpot. Then shoot the castle and lock a ball behind the drop target. Then hit the ramp with the other ball. It will divert to the munchkin playfield. Once it drops through the hole, hit the witch with the upper flipper. If you don't do it in time, the locked ball will release, and you will have to lock it again. If you make it, you get an awesome victory mode.

The craziness of stacked modes is fantastic in this game. Getting a MB going with a munchkin mode (preferably frenzy) and double scoring from the crystal ball can be awesome.

#2029 7 years ago

Cool idea for a contest. Of course, I believe factory settings means no ball save, is that right?

#2032 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That is correct and no ball save is brutal! Love it lol

It sure is, especially when you plunge the ball into the pops, and the pops send the ball straight down the right outlane.

I must say, I love the pops in this game. It is one of those games where the randomness of them means something, and the ball doesn't just trickle out some predefined path.

#2039 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Here's my submission for tonight. Just shy of my GC score.

That's basically my GC score but with easier settings for me. Nice job!

#2057 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'd like to know too. I tried mine and the volume is VERY quiet. I couldn't find a setting for headphones volume but didn't look too hard either.

I had this problem too.

There is a switch in the little circuit board on the coin door near the top upper left.
You can barely see it from the edge, use a flashlight.

And now I know why.

#2080 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

No but the Glinda target can award it randomly, perhaps you hit it when you missed the witch.

I was going to say the same thing, but I think the Glinda target only rewards one or two of the letters, not all. I would put the game in switch test mode and bang around the playfield near the targets to see if one or more is gapped too closely.

#2082 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Could be or he may have just got lucky and hit glinda and had a bounce and hit a few letters.

Maybe, but I think we better get to the bottom of this before he enters the contest. We don't want phantom points due to vibration skewing the results.

#2084 7 years ago

I just ordered the pindemption dongle. I had a few questions, so I called JJP and they put me in touch with Jack to my surprise. It was really nice of him to take time and answer my questions. Anyway, I want a way that I can play with guests where we can take turns and they don't have to wait 20 minutes for me to finish a ball if I'm having a good game. I think beginners will also appreciate a simplified rule set with defined goals, unlimited balls and a timer. It may even get my kids back into playing. Anyway, I'll report back when I get it and try it out.

#2095 7 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

When you get the multiplier up you can get insane bonuses:

Holy crap!

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought I'd be better at that shot cause of STLE, but it's a tough one.

I thought the same thing, but it is ten times harder than the ST shot. I too go for it if I have two balls cradled on the right flipper. I've been getting better at making the shot from the left flipper, but you have to be perfect. As noted, it can be really really lucrative. My best bonus has been 400,000+ points. I love how the award for munchkin and haunted modes are only awarded at bonus time so you have to be really careful not to tilt. Otherwise, you get a nice message of exactly how many points you just lost.

#2097 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea I've tilted quite a few times lol. I love the per game tilt rules! This game is much more brutal than I imagined. When I played on location it was 5 ball, light tilt, with a ball saver lol. Keefer nailed the factory settings on this.

Yeah, but on the flip side (no pun attended), I think it is one reason why people are turned off on location. There's nothing worse than putting a dollar in and losing your ball without a ball saver before you can even flip.

I have to admit, the ball saver and tilt warnings per ball were the first two things I changed, but I'm no where near the player that you are.

#2115 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The jewels are on the main display too along with the emeralds. No need to go to a status page.

Correct. They are right around the four emeralds. They are just a bit harder to see but look like points on a compass.

#2129 7 years ago

I'm having more and more trouble with inconsistent plunges -- meaning, plunges that won't make it all the way around to the pops. I used to have this problem, and then it largely went away. Now it is back. I've looked carefully, and a good chunk of time that it is happening is because the ball hits the edge of the block shown in this photo.

WOZ Block (resized).JPGWOZ Block (resized).JPG

Has anyone had this problem, and is there a fix? I was wondering if I put a piece of felt tape at the end of the shooter lane on the left block if that might divert the ball a bit to the right to avoid the other block. But, I figured I would ask first. Much thanks for any advice!

#2135 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I have this issue also and believe its from the munchkin cliffy

That was a problem for a while, but that seemed to go away by raising the right side of the munchkin playfield. Of course, that created another problem of having the ball fall through the hole and skip to the left of the upper flipper at times. Someone on here posted about how they cut out a portion of the cliffy to prevent this, but I don't have the stomach to take off that playfield again any time soon.

Does the plunger hit the ball squarely in the center of the ball?

I think this is part of the problem because if I rotate the plunger on its axis, some orientations work better than others. The rubber tip is a bit lopsided. At times, when I have taken the rubber tip off and put it back on, it seems to work better for a while before becoming a problem again. I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Is there another way to adjust the angle of the plunger?

I wanted to try my felt tape idea, but some sticky felt thief apparently broke into my house and absconded with my tape because it is no where to be found.

#2143 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ok i took some slow motion videos of failed launches. When I have a chance I will compile them together but it basically seems like the ball generally just isn't stable entering that area. Sometimes it would glance before the cliffy, I did see it graze the cliffy once or twice and sometimes it would hit on the right.
Here is an interesting example:
» YouTube video

Wow! Great video! That's really interesting. That looked like an absolutely perfect launch with the ball going where it should, but somehow it got all bounced around once it left the metal lane. I've never had this much of an issue launching a ball before. I know sometimes mine definitely hits the block that I indicated. Other times, it hits the cliffy, but that has lessened. I'm not sure if I've experienced what you just posted, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Interestingly, I get way fewer failed launches with the auto plunger. Maybe it is spin from an imperfect hit by the tip of the plunger . . . .

#2144 7 years ago

Separately, tonight I finally put my pin back on factory settings. It really is brutal, but I think it is making me a better player. I am way more alert because every bounce of the ball counts that much more. I was able to get 153K+ on one of the games, but I've had a bunch of games that are over way to quick. I'm going to see if I can do better and post my final score before the deadline. I know I won't win this contest, but I'm curious how well I can do on default settings.

#2149 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Check the edges of the ramp guide, if they are sharp or have nicks just use sand paper to file them down and fine grit sand paper to make them smooth, had this happen on a few pins and that fixed the issue. It also wouldn't hurt if you replaced your shooter tip.
Another reason could be that in a HUO environment a pin is played a certain way and not at random in a commercial setting, meaning that you most likely pull the plunger a certain way either right or left or downward, in any case it can create uneven wear for the plunger. to fix that a washer or two may be needed at any one of the four bolts securing the plunger housing which will adjust the angle ever so slightly of your plunger. Hope this helps

Interesting idea about the washer. I may try that if other things don't work. There is definitely some play with the shooter rod so that it wiggles a bit.

I also think there is quite a bit of space between the end of the carved out wooden shooter lane and the start of the metal ramp with the two prongs. Plenty of space for the ball to veer off course or catch some spin before hitting the metal ramp. I'm not sure if this is more than usual for a pin, but it looks like a lot of space in a wide channel to me.

#2151 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I also think there is quite a bit of space between the end of the carved out wooden shooter lane and the start of the metal ramp with the two prongs. Plenty of space for the ball to veer off course or catch some spin before hitting the metal ramp. I'm not sure if this is more than usual for a pin, but it looks like a lot of space in a wide channel to me.

So I just compared WOZ to my other two pins, and the wooden groove on the shooter lane in WOZ is way shorter. For instance, on Star Trek, the groove runs up the full length of the lane until the metal ramp takes over. I think this empty space on WOZ probably contributes to a lot of the instability.

#2164 7 years ago

Hey guys, I may have a fix for inconsistent plunges. I added a strip of black felt tape at the end of the shooter lane on the left wooden block. It is about 1" wide (top to bottom) and runs from right under the "Collect" insert (basically the edge of the block) to the end of the switch (and a bit past -- basically even with Toto's ear on the plastic near it). It is almost invisible from the player's perspective. My felt strip is about 1 mm thick so this has the effect of narrowing the very end of the lane by 1 mm and possibly slowing down the ball just a bit. On mine, this seems to keep the ball under control as it hits the metal ramp. I just played a few games and went from 50% good plunges to 90%+ good plunges. Time will tell whether this will continue to work, but I wanted to pass it along as it might help everyone else.

#2190 7 years ago

Well, I think this will count as my official entry. Not a winning one, I know. I just couldn't get anything to stack well this weekend.

WOZScoreEntry1 (resized).JPGWOZScoreEntry1 (resized).JPG

I really enjoyed playing on factory default for a while. Thanks TaylorVA for doing the contest. It is good to dial back the settings you have gotten accustomed to once and a while. Here are a few things I learned:

1. I like ball savers.
2. I used to reward myself with an extra ball at 100,000 points. I think I'm going to leave that off for a while. I found that when I used to play, I never really paid attention to advancing Yellow Brick Road. I sort of let it happen naturally, knowing that if I just played long enough, I would eventually get that extra ball from points and then again from the YBR. However, when I played on factory this weekend, I found myself actively trying to advance down the YBR so that I could get that extra ball. It was that much more important. It added a new goal for me, so I think I'll keep it that way for a while.
3. When I first got the game, I found TNPLH to be nearly impossible, so I made it a bit easier by increasing the time and making every shot to a rainbow target register a hit. Now that I've gotten more used to the pin, I've been doing better at that mode. I like the factory settings where you actually have to aim for the individual rainbow targets, and I like the shortened time to get stuff done. It adds much more of a sense of urgency.
4. I think I will still go back to giving myself an extra ball when I get SPECIAL. It is lit so rarely, and the animation when you get it is so cool, that I feel like I deserve something good.

Anyway, lots of fun this weekend. Thanks again.

#2198 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Your enthusiastic perspective on WOZ says a lot SKB since you've owned (and appreciated) a long string of Sterns.
I'd like to add a WOZ to my currently Stern-rich collection.

There really is a difference. I went back to playing Star Trek for a while, and it just seemed so bare in comparison. On the other hand, I loved feeling the flow again as the ramps gobbled up my shots. Variety is definitely a good thing.

#2212 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So no shit guys, I just did this!! Haunted MB, rescue, no hold flippers, munchkin, and ECMB all stacked!!!

EDIT: replaying the game in my head, I did all this on ball 3. I was around 750M, so already stoked I was on pace to beat my previous GC. I was able to pull out a 2 ball rescue mb. Then got haunted, and to my surprise it was haunted mb. I was able to cradle two balls on my right flipper and start munchkin with the left. Then started no hold flippers (holy shit that mode is "Chaos!"). I believe ECMB started sometime during all the madness too. My wife, who way laying in bed came into the game room and says 'are you alright?' I was literally screaming 'yeahs!' 'Fucks!' And 'oh gods!' - never has a pin done that to me. This might just be the best pin I've ever played/owned. I hope it's not just the honeymoon speaking. But on factory settings, with the pitch steep (think I'm 6.9 or 7), this pin reminds me of IM meets FGY meets TWD. Love it! My adrenalin is still pumping.

Congrats! There is no better feeling than when you can stack modes like that in this game. Pure chaos, but hugely fun.

#2219 7 years ago

It seems like there are a bunch of new WOZ owners. There's a thread going to discuss game strategy:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-strategies-for-points-and-for-the-quest

As you guys figure out your own individual ways to play, it would be great to have your input in that thread on what you see as good strategies.

#2229 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

So Eskaybee was the winner of the WOZ challenge from what I can tell. Anyone do better than his 2+million score?

Beginner's luck.

Just kidding. Congrats!

#2231 7 years ago

Do you recall what your bonus was that game? What's really awesome about WOZ is that you can have a normal score and then quadruple it or more with a good stacked munchkin or haunted mode. Just don't tilt!

#2247 7 years ago

Congrats! Melting the witch is such a great feeling, and the victory mode after it is so cool.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or when the bonus is displayed for munchkin + HOADC it's wrong - it shows the same exact score. For example it shows:
Munchkin 60,000
HOADC +1.5x 60,000
Shouldn't it display like 30,000 extra points? Am I not reading it correctly?

Yeah, it makes no sense. I wish they would change it. Someone said Keith had some logic behind it, but it makes no sense to me. You are awarded the right amount of points. The display is just confusing.

#2272 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm a Jonny come lately. Played WoZ on location a few times but never clicked with it, just didn't impress me with the gameplay, but I played it the other week at a friends house and found it was better than I had remembered.
However I'm at a first grade level, meaning I don't know much about the rules. But for example years I didn't like Tspp until I bought it and now it's one of my top pins.
Is WoZ like Tspp in that way, I mean it's got several levels that you must keep track of at certain times. Also the rules, are they really good at this point? I had played WoZ years ago so maybe I wasn't getting the right impression the code might have been very basic.
I have the ability to get a RR for $8400 that's just 200 plays mint. Is that a real good deal, I want to jump on it, but wanted to make sure it's a very good deal. I like the RR color and the tasteful figurines.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to get into this pin better once I own it. Just asking for advice or encouragement. How is WoZ compared to TH? I'm sure people have opinions, is WoZ better than TH, I played TH and really didn't understand a bit of what was going on, I think TH looks better but I hated the movies compared to WoZ which is a timeless classic.

Hmmm. Asking people in a WOZ Fan Club thread whether you should purchase WOZ . . . . Seems like you already made up your mind and want some affirmation.

All kidding aside, it is a great pin for all the reasons that others have said. And even just reciting the rules or watching people play doesn't truly give you a feel for the subtlety of how all the rules interact with each other to make playing a truly unique experience. It is a tough game to get a feel for on location. But, you won't be sorry owning one.

Congrats on your impending purchase!

#2273 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

A few quick examples but there are many other more subtle effects:

- When crystal ball is ready, hitting the targets sends. Ripple through the playfield colors as it changes selected mode.

Wow! I didn't notice that. I'll have to look harder next time.

#2284 7 years ago
Quoted from GorfFan:

This is very similar to how I feel when I first saw WoZ. It was actually 2 years ago and I was at the Pinball Museum Hall of Fame (HoF). I stood there and watched two guys playing the game, but unfortunately I never got the chance to play. The game looked and seemed to play SO different from any of the other couple hundred pins that were there. Fast forward almost a year later and here I stand in my new friend's game room and there it sits again. I remember thinking, "Hey I remember this game at the HoF!" When I got to finally play it (There was a line to play it again), I had such an amazing experience, that I did whatever I had to do to buy it. I sold furniture, 2 of my 3 arcade games, dozens of items from my other hobby, stock, etc to get a RR a year later!
I tell you all this to state the following: JJ Pins are the 4TH GENERATION OF PINBALL! The first generation was EM, second generation SS, third generation was Dot Matrix, and now we have the fourth generation, WoZ & The Hobbit. JJ has changed pinball forever.

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Now, save up for The Hobbit, JJP#3, . . . .

#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from GorfFan:

Hey guys please help a new pin owner who has their first pin. I've only owned my WoZ for 2 days, and I'm reading this entire thread. I've encountered many posts that I really don't understand like this one. I may likely be in the low minority of readers who are so new to pin ownership, that I don't understand a lot of the pin terminology or acronyms. It's a bummer that some of the comments use acronyms or terminology that only the educated understand.
What does this quoted post mean? Is there a screen shot anywhere of this issue? Where is the WoZ forum that shows vids/ screen shots for fixes at?

You'll catch on in no time. Just keep reading.

He's talking about the upper left playfield, the one that is raised and has castle walls around it. When the ball is up there, you can either hit the RESCUE targets, the castle doors, or a loop. The loop has an insert in the playfield that says search. When you shoot that shot, the ball is supposed to loop around and come back out at your flipper. But sometimes, it goes in and bounces back out without making a full loop. There is a metal wire ball guide that is curved that guides the ball around for the loop. This sometimes has too low of a height so that when the ball hits it, it doesn't follow the track of the guide but just bounces out. If this happens to you, you can try bending it ever so slightly up by gripping the middle and pulling up. Don't pull too hard. You can also try lowering the flipper power a bit in the settings menu for the flipper in the castle playfield.

#2303 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hey guys, I may have a fix for inconsistent plunges. I added a strip of black felt tape at the end of the shooter lane on the left wooden block. It is about 1" wide (top to bottom) and runs from right under the "Collect" insert (basically the edge of the block) to the end of the switch (and a bit past -- basically even with Toto's ear on the plastic near it). It is almost invisible from the player's perspective. My felt strip is about 1 mm thick so this has the effect of narrowing the very end of the lane by 1 mm and possibly slowing down the ball just a bit. On mine, this seems to keep the ball under control as it hits the metal ramp. I just played a few games and went from 50% good plunges to 90%+ good plunges. Time will tell whether this will continue to work, but I wanted to pass it along as it might help everyone else.

Just a note to say that this fix seems to be holding up over multiple games. I can't say that I'm still at 90% perfect plunges, but I would say 75-80%, again up from 50%.

#2317 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was able to get some mini pliers under the plastic to get the first nut off. That second is partially under the ramp though so gonna be a bit tougher to access. I gotta bail in a few so might not get to it today.

Maybe something like this with the right attachment. You would need to see if a socket was available for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Ratcheting-Screwdriver-Close-Quarters/dp/B000XYOUS6/ref=sr_1_17

Not sure if you have enough clearance though.

#2333 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Got home a bit ago so was able to tackle this. The hardest part was getting the nuts off the plastic piece which those posts hold the rubber in tack. I don't know how merrcat did it without removing those nuts as the posts is what holds the rubber in place.
EDIT: looking at it again, I guess you don't have to remov the plastic piece and stretch the rubber around it - that's what Merrcat was saying. So just loosen the 3 munchkin screws to get the rubber in and you should be golden...
Anyway, here's what you need for anyone doing it. Remove nuts to get plastic off using a 11/32 wrench; if you can get a ratcheting wrench that'll help a lot. The hard part is the post screw moves with the nut, I have no idea how I got it loose, but eventually the pinball gods just threw me a bone and it budged. You'll probably need a 5/16 to tighten the post back down. The munchkin playfield is easy; just remove screws 5&6 in the screenshot and loosen, but not remove, 8. That gives you enough clearance to get the rubber in.
I replaced the rubber with a 2 1/2 white; seems to work just fine.
Here's the tools you need and screenshot from the manual:

Nice write up. From what I've heard, I feel like that rubber ring is a ticking time bomb in these games. It will snap at some point; it is just a matter of when. I'm glad to hear that you don't have to take the munchkin playfield off. I had a more difficult than usual time taking it off way back when to put the cliffy on.

#2337 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

That upper slingshot is a time bomb lol.

Yeah, maybe that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I guess every ring will break in time. It just seems that one is supposed to break more frequently and seems to be in a pretty tough area to get to. Don't mind me; my hands get all sweaty any time I even think about working on my pin. I'm a nervous repairman.

#2341 7 years ago

Look what just arrived for my WOZ.

IMG_0953 (resized).JPGIMG_0953 (resized).JPG
IMG_0954 (resized).JPGIMG_0954 (resized).JPG

The pindemption system was very easy to install. Just plug and play. And, it seems quite easy switching back and forth between playing for tickets and playing under the regular rules. One nice thing that I wasn't expecting is that I can now play under the regular rules but on a timer with unlimited balls. So, I can now challenge my kids and guests to see who can get the most points in, say, 3 minutes. And, they don't have to wait around for me to finish the occasional 20 minute ball. I'm looking forward to exploring the options.

#2346 7 years ago

Slight update to my fix for inconsistent plunges. I was starting to have issues again, so I added a second strip of black felt tape to the wooden block on the left immediately above the collect insert. So, I have a strip of felt both above and below the collect insert. This seems to keep the ball centered on the metal ramp in the shooter lane. I'm back to nearly 100% consistency. I'll see if it holds up.

#2348 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have inconsistent plunges too. Both manually and automatic. I'll give this a shot. Care to share a pic?

Sure. Here you go. As you can see, the felt is hard to notice. I had to take the picture with a flash so you would see it at all. I added horizontal green lines to show the length of each piece.

WoZFeltFix (resized).jpgWoZFeltFix (resized).jpg

If you try this, report back with the results. It would be good to get a second data point.

#2350 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Is that simply sticky backed stuff from a craft store? I may try it myself

Yes, exactly.

#2352 7 years ago

My wife and I just had a mini pindemption tournament. She won with 57 tickets in 3 minutes. She said she likes playing that way better because it evens out the playing between us, and she doesn't have to wait. She did go through 8 balls in those 3 minutes, but hey, she won!

#2357 7 years ago

The speaker that is directly under my cabinet is really soft. How loud is yours? When I looked at it, it looks like the black wire that connects to the speaker might be severed right next to the plug. It is crimped there, so I can't tell whether it is fully severed or if signal is getting through.

#2361 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Also I tried Nokoro's ball launch felt fix. So far so good, about 20 plunges in including auto launches all successful. Here is what I used, but I'm wondering if the hard felt might be better? Got this at Hobby Lobby.

Glad it's working. I think I probably used hard felt because my sheet is fairly stiff, but I honestly didn't know there were two types.

#2362 7 years ago

I posted this elsewhere (in a thread about pindemption), but I thought I would repeat here for people who are considering pindemption:

Just to report back after playing with pindemption for a few days:

* It's fun, but obviously not very deep. It definitely won't be the main way I play, and in fact, I played more on regular rules than pindemption rules even though it was new.

* Still, it's great for a quick fix. Last night, I only had a few minutes to play and didn't want to get sucked into a long game, so I played with the pindemption rules. I have it set to 3 minutes and sudden death. I had a blast. I'm trying to melt the witch in that amount of time (more about that below), and I loved trying to complete the objectives in a short time period. It was fairly addictive.

* The objectives are simplified but kind of cool. For instance, to melt the witch, you first have to spell each of the characters via the roll overs and also advance 10 times down the yellow brick road. It's pretty difficult to do that in 3 minutes, but I only have average shot accuracy. I finally did it last night with 20 seconds left. The witch shot is then red. If you hit it, it seems like you go into an abbreviated BTWW mode. The BTWW music comes on, the playfield turns green, and the winkie shot is lit. That's as far as I made it before time ran out, but I assume you have to shoot that shot and then the ramp followed by the witch. But, you only have one ball in play, so I'm not sure. Again, it is pretty addictive to try to do this in 3 minutes.

* The animation for the ticket awards is cool, and it is fun when you get a large pay out like completing the castle objective. That involves lighting the monkeys, getting Dorthy captured, spelling RESCUE and bashing the doors. Since you only have one ball, once Dorthy is captured, you are immediately up in the castle playfield and can start trying to spell RESCUE.

* As expected, it is good for people who are less familiar with pinball. My daughter had a friend over yesterday who had never played a pinball machine. (I had to show her where the flipper buttons were and what they did.) Her game would have been over in seconds on normal settings. But, she got to play for a full 3 minutes and really enjoyed collecting the tickets. At the end, I heard her tell my daughter that pinball was fun. Again, she may have had a completely different experience on normal settings. Even my wife prefers it. We had a mini pindemption tournament. (She won with 57 tickets.) She liked taking turns and not having to wait a long time for me to finish a really good ball.

* So, overall, it is a good compliment to regular play, though most of the time I will be playing regular rules.

EDIT: The BTWW mode in pindemption actually puts two balls in play and starts with the winkie shot being lit. I guess when I got there before, time ran out before it could put the second ball in play. Kind of nice that they give you a multiball mode.

#2365 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

hey guys - just joined the club (RR). Do you play 3 or 5 ball? My game is on 5 right now but is that standard? Thought it was always 3?

Congrats on your purchase! I play 3. There are plenty of opportunities to earn extra balls. Default settings are 3, and I would recommend starting there before you up it.

#2411 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Hey, I really like that yellow on the lower flippers, nice job!

Yeah, that looks great there.

#2430 7 years ago

For those having inconsistent plunges, in case you missed it, a page or two back, I posted a solution that may help involving putting felt strips in the shooter lane. I also posted a pic showing where to place the felt. It has helped me considerably, though I still get the occasional failed plunge.

#2431 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

i can not figure out how to get the balls out of this machine. Doesn't seem like there is a setting either and the way I used to do it on my older games doesn't work. Anyone know how to get the balls out? Want to replace them.

If you open the coin door, you can manually press the coil up to get the balls out one at a time. Make sure the high voltage is off or just do it with the power off.

#2453 7 years ago

HOADC is an extremely difficult shot. If you are in multiball and have two balls cradled on the right flipper, a soft, quick flick of that flipper to backhand the shot with the first ball will often get the job done.

#2462 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

So it seems like there is no real easy answer, thought I was maybe missing out.
On another note, can someone explain the crystal ball trick with two balls, that ends in a penalty? I've never really understood that one either... two balls cradled for a quick flip?

I think the HOADC shot is extremely hard on purpose. When you get that multiplier and can use it with a munchkin mode stacked with something else, it can be very lucrative.

As for the crystal ball penalty, if you have two balls cradled on the left flipper, you can do a quick flip to get the crystal ball. It is fairly easy to do. If you do this three times in a row without hitting any other switches, you automatically go to no hold flippers for the rest of the ball. I'm not sure exactly why it is in place as I'm not entirely sure how you use that shot over and over for your benefit.

#2464 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

If you're in Rescue Multiball, three hits are needed to complete each required shot. So this rule prevents cradling to repeat the Crystal Ball shot three consecutive times without hitting another switch first.

Got it. Thanks. That makes sense, though completing Rescue MB is so hard, you would think they could throw you a bone on that one.

#2466 7 years ago

Just had an awesome game! Scored 920,000 points for 1st place. That said, I missed my grand champion score of 960,000, and more importantly fell short of beating 1,000,000, which is becoming my white whale in this game.

Feeling pretty good that I scored so high given that I recently changed the settings to not give myself a point based extra ball. Instead I earned two extra balls via YBR and HOADC. Finished ECMB, got to the witch battle but drained just as the winkie shot was lit. I really thought I was going to break one million, but I guess that will have to wait. . . .

#2489 7 years ago

In defense of wtatumjr, he never said this was after 2 weeks of ownership. He said the first chip near the winkie was after 2 weeks of ownership. He repaired that, but now, at some later point in time, the other chips have formed. That later point in time could have been years later.

In any case, I hope he gets it straightened out.

#2492 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just had an awesome game! Scored 920,000 points for 1st place. That said, I missed my grand champion score of 960,000, and more importantly fell short of beating 1,000,000, which is becoming my white whale in this game.
Feeling pretty good that I scored so high given that I recently changed the settings to not give myself a point based extra ball. Instead I earned two extra balls via YBR and HOADC. Finished ECMB, got to the witch battle but drained just as the winkie shot was lit. I really thought I was going to break one million, but I guess that will have to wait. . . .

Bam! White whale defeated!

Most awesome game ever! Purposefully stacked Haunted MB with ECMB with Crystal Ball lights on with Munchkin Frenzy! Totally insane!

IMG_0968 (resized).JPGIMG_0968 (resized).JPG

#2500 7 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I have half of my rainbow lights out and the first T and last O of TOTO out. Does this seem more like a light board issue or a connection issue ? I have an early game.

It could be either. The first thing to try is to reseat the connectors both to those boards and the board upstream in the chain. If that doesn't work, call JJP.

1 week later
#2510 7 years ago
Quoted from GorfFan:

I've owned my game now for 1 month ( my first pin purchase), and just had my most exciting game. It's lasted for an hour and my score was 3,833,622.

Wow! Please tell me you are playing on 5 balls.

#2514 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Congrats! Without the topper and with that low ceiling, the game has an interesting halo over it. . Nice TZ too!

Hmmm. I don't have the topper, and I don't think I have a glow like that. Is there a setting to turn the topper on and off?

#2516 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

There is a topper brightness setting but more likely the LED strip was removed or disconnected or burnt out.

Actually, I was able to get up there and have a look (had to move another of my pins to do it). The LED strip works but shines backwards and not up. I never tried to put the topper on since I don't have the space. Maybe I have to move a bracket or something. Anyway, it is kind of irrelevant unless I find a way to drop my floors or raise my ceiling by 6".

#2519 7 years ago
Quoted from twindad:

New owner of a 75 WOZ - manufacture date of 9-12-16. Are all 75th WOZs signed by Jack?

Congrats! Mine is signed on the back.

#2539 7 years ago

I've had the ball get stuck between the winkie drop target and the plastic above it once. The target pulsed up and down rapidly and would not let go of the ball. I think it is a very rare occurrence, but it can happen. My recommendation is to immediately open the coin door which will kill power to the coils. As soon as the ball is free, you can close it again. No game, no matter how well you are doing, is worth burning out a coil or fracturing the plastic.

#2564 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Tricks to hitting throne room shot....
anyone have any?

Yes. Aim for the right orbit. Whenever I do, I hit the throne room.

#2585 7 years ago
Quoted from GorfFan:

My Winkie target is down for the count and my game is only 5 weeks old. The target has not popped up for a week, so it's stuck in the down position. There aren't any other errors with the game that are relevant to this issue.
I'm brand new to pin ownership and feel over whelmed since just opening the play field is intimidating. Is there a kind soul out there who can give me specific instructions on what to do?
I've filed a support ticket with JJ, and already got an auto email reply saying they got my support request.

Go into switch test mode and see if the switch for the Winkie is registering. Mine came loose. It is easy to fix if so. When the target is down, it presses on a switch so the game knows it is down. If it is not making good contact, the game will not think it is down and will not reset. Push the switch up and tighten the screw securing it in place so good contact is made.

If the switch is registering, go into coil test mode and see if the coil fires.

#2591 7 years ago

I lost one of those little switch screws. Had to order one for 10 cents over the internet and pay $6 in shipping.

#2594 7 years ago

get screws here:
https://www.fmwfasteners.com/products/2-56-x-5-8-phillips-pan-machine-screw-18-8-ss?gclid=CICQyq-hgdACFQuraQodMqoE5g
Check the length in the manual and maybe get a couple sizes for ramp witches and whatever....
Also a good source for regular #8 x 1/2" or 5/8" slotted hex sheet metal screws and what ever you might need in stainless steel.
I dont think they have the unslotted screws for the factory look.

Thanks. I'll check out their prices next time. However, hopefully the times I need that really really really tiny screw are few and far between.

#2629 7 years ago
Quoted from 1quartershort:

Went through the same process a few months ago. I bought a NIB WOZRR. They are all great games I just thought the RR was the better value. As I recall, the RR was about $1,200 more than the NIB STD. Primarily the RR adds the following:
Shaker & invisiglass-value $500
Tornado, 3D resin castle walls, resin toto-value $350 from Back Alley
Printed manual (along w/cd rom)-value you decide but I think JJP sells them for $150
Powder coated legs, side armor, lock bar and habit trails-value you decide but in my market that is $600+ and it is beautiful deep ruby fine metallic. Plus the extensive habit trails in ruby rather than chrome really blend nicely with the play field. And if the game stands alone or at the end of a line up, the RR really looks nice.
Again it is whatever suits you, it is a tough choice but.....it is a lot of fun and nicely made! If you want NIB you might call automated, Mike had some pretty good deals going.

+1 for Mike at Automated. He had the best deal on a NIB RR around if you are willing to pay by check. Fantastic service too.

1 week later
#2667 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Deal made. I'm in the club as of tomorrow. Picking up my RRWOZ. TZ is gone. But I can always get one again.

Congrats!

#2682 7 years ago

That's not normal. Is your rubber ring centered on the indent of the posts?

#2684 7 years ago
Quoted from Docb8456:

It appears to be, the green circle target for "home" seems to be too far over if I could just move it a bit, but I am new to owning a machine and have never worked on one yet

I think you're going to have to lift the playfield and take a look at the position of the target from underneath. Perhaps you can loosen the screws holding it in and reposition it ever so slightly. Or maybe the switch is just angled strangely and you can push it back. The first step is to look underneath and see how it is set up mechanically. I'll try to do the same when I next lift my playfield to see if I notice anything, but it may be a few days.

#2698 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I did not order it. I traded my TZ for it. Also, what is the latest code out for WOZ. Mine has 6.06 version.

That's the latest.

#2699 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, it doesn't. It just reacts to things you hit instead of showing what you should hit.

Agreed. I think the crystal ball was a cool idea on paper, but the images always seem a step behind or out of sync. It would be great if they could polish it up a bit with one more code release, but I'm not holding my breath.

#2702 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

QUESTION: I have a quick question on the RRWOZ i just got. I had to make a few adjustments, not a big deal. But, this one i am not sure about. Everyone knows what it sounds like when the ball hits the sling shots. Well, when i launch the ball and it hits the slings at the top before it comes down, those slings sound different. Not sure how to describe it but just don't sound like it should or sound like the slings at the bottom of the playfield near the flippers. Any input would be appreciated.

The sling at the top does sound different, like chimes or bells.

#2742 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That sounds like the red of the RGB LED has failed. You likely need a new W10 board to fix it. Since the W10 board is the last light board in the string it should not affect any other lights in the game.

This diagram has appeared a few times in this thread. If a moderator or new editor is watching, they should make it a key post. I just bookmarked it.

#2771 7 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

2. I was awarded Multiball from the Throne Room during single ball play but the game didn't give me Multiball?

I had that happen once. Thought I was crazy. Must be a bug. Most of the time it works.

#2793 7 years ago

"Wizard of Oz" is on this Sunday on TBS.

#2802 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Tweaks will also depend on your environment. WOZ seems sensitive to local power variations so you may have to adjust a few things up or down accordingly.

I seem to have to readjust coil settings depending upon the season, as the draw during the summer months seems to be more, and I get a drop in voltage from the outlets.

#2832 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I've had my Cliffys on order for some time now ... getting anxious each time an airball smacks that playfield ... do you remove the mini playfield to install?

Yes. There are instructions on how to remove it in the manual. And there are instructions on how to install the cliffy on cliffy's site.

#2850 7 years ago

You know those little black half inch rubber posts that hold the clear plastics up above the regular plastics . . . . The ones with the pointy tips . . . .

I took one off and had trouble getting it back into the hole. I had to use a needle nose pliers and took a bit of the tip off with it. Is there a better way to do that?

Also, does any vendor sell them in a silicone or other material that looks a bit sharper? My posts have always had a bit of a dusty look to them.

#2853 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

They're a pain. I always just apply pressure from below and kinda use my thumb on top to flex it back and forth. It always squirts through eventually.
I don't know where to buy them or even what they're called!

I mentioned them in the Titan silicone ring pinball thread that it would be great if they could make some out of silicone. If others agree, please let them know as well. I would love for a company to make some better looking replacements.

#2857 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Also saw your post on the munchkin cliffy with the ball hitting the edge -- I *think* that might be what is happening on mine. I haven't looked at it too closely but since installing last week, I've noticed a lot of auto-plunges are getting bricked/interfered with.

A few pages back I show how if you apply sticky felt to a couple of places on the shooter lane, you can reduce inconsistent plunges. My felt has gotten compressed a bit with time, and I'm no longer getting 80-90% good plunges, but it is definitely better than it was.

#2866 7 years ago

Does anyone else think the ball save timer on the Wicked Witch Battle is far too short? You spend all that time trying to get to the battle only to have the mode end in seconds if you screw up quickly. Then you are faced with the daunting task of having to qualify everything all over again.

I don't want it to be too easy. I've melted the witch a few times. I just always feel dejected when I mess up right away. Just an extra five seconds would be nice.

#2868 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

But I'm melting the witch once or twice a day so I can't complain too much.

#2872 7 years ago

Would you guys mind taking a quick look at your throne room and letting me know whether the LEDs are squarely placed under the wizard or if they are somewhat to the rear of it. My LEDs seem to have slipped out a tad, and I sometimes have to push them back in a bit. I'm wondering how they are supposed to be positioned and held down. Here are some picks of mine after I pushed them back a bit but not fully.

IMG_1013 (resized).JPGIMG_1013 (resized).JPGIMG_1014 (resized).JPGIMG_1014 (resized).JPG

#2875 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Mine seem to be lined up squarely, but I can look more closely when I take the glass off. I'm wondering if it's just the basic adhesive backing has come loose, and not strong enough to keep it in place? Maybe a touch of double sided tape or glue to more securely hold it in place?

Thanks for checking. Another weekend project for me .....

1 week later
#2915 7 years ago

I'm not following this and feel like I'm missing something. What is not being supplied anymore, and what does it do?

#2917 7 years ago

Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about how LEDs work to know what this means. Does this mean that JJP may not be able to make replacement boards in the future, or does it just mean that people won't be able to repair their own boards?

I don't have the skills to work on soldering chips on and off boards so I think I will always be dependent upon getting replacement parts from JJP. I do worry about the costs. I'm still under warranty, but when that runs out, they do charge a lot for the boards. If they lasted for years, that might not be a big deal, but if you have one or two fail a year, that is a much bigger expense than being able to simply replace a bulb.

#2924 7 years ago

The led driver chip, A6281 3-Channel Constant Current LED Driver with Programmable PWM Control,
has been discontinued from the manufacturer, Allegro. Its unknown yet whether or not a suitable replacement can be fitted.
All is not lost though as there are thousands of Chinese made $2 LED driver boards available, to steal the chip from if necessary for awhile.
Herg provided a link to some here
http://macetech.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

I'm still not following. Does this affect JJP or just those who want to fix the boards themselves?

#2927 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I get it now. I wish I was skilled enough to do board repair. Its going to have to be something I teach myself in retirement, which is quite a ways off. In the meantime, I do wish there was a cheaper alternative once warranties run out especially if board failure is going to be a not infrequent occurrence.

#2937 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

And the right tools and equipment.

That I'm definitely lacking. I just have an old clunky soldering iron that's good for wires connected to switches and coils. I need to make an investment and then start practicing and learning.

#2940 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sadly, I'll be departing this club shortly. It was a short journey but must say WOZ is one of the best games I've had the luxury of owning. Such a great ruleset to accompany the layout with an overall amazing package. I'll always enjoy playing it on location or whenever I come across one. But In the end, the theme is not something that was clicking with me in my very small 2-pin lineup. Luckily it is going to a nearby friend so I'll get to continue melting the witch and striving to beat recue mb
There aren't many games that come close to stacking a 4-5 ball rescue mb, then starting EC mb; then starting a crystal ball mode; then starting a munchkin mode; and sometimes starting haunted mb. Good times!
Peace out.

Sorry to see you go. You always liven up the discussion. Maybe The Hobbit will be more up your alley. The rules there look amazing and equally deep.

1 week later
#2979 7 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Received my NIB RR a few weeks ago, Had out of box issues that have mostly been repaired. Still have monkey issues after being fixed. Monkey works about 80 % of the time. After being adjusted still doesn't pick up every time.
Question I have is now every time I push the left flipper button the lower playfield lights strobe a white color. I know this is not normal. I am calling JJP tomorrow. Just curious is this a dependable game? Or every week or two I am going to have an issue ?
I total understand things break and nothing is perfect it just seems s little excessive all the issues I have had. The game was produced nov of this year. I did already voice my concerns to JJP. I was told that the latest run of WOZ'S have had more issues than other runs. I am confident that everything with get fixed eventually, Just a little frustrated.

Mine had several issue out of the box. All were taken care of by JJP. I know it is frustrating, but hang in there. There are a lot of connections and switches that get knocked around during shipment. Often times, it is just something loose.

As for the left flipper strobing the lower playfield, this is likely a loose connection with one of the wires in the chain of LED boards. A loose connection upstream affects all boards down stream. There is a diagram in the manual that shows the boards in the order that they are hooked up. The first thing I would check is the tiny board right near the left flipper. One of the connectors is right next to the flipper and the wires can be hit with the movement of the flipper. Make sure it is tightly plugged in and move the wires a bit out of the way. If that is not it, then it is likely that your flipper is setting off another loose connection through vibration. You can try unplugging and replugging the LED boards late in the chain to see if that helps

#2984 7 years ago

Hey guys. Here is something I've been working on for a bit that I'm fairly proud of. My ceilings are too low to put the topper on WOZ, so I've been wanting to make some sort of holder for it. I finally had time over the holidays. I light the topper with an IKEA color changing LED light strip which was just the right size. Here are some pics:

WOZlight1 (resized).JPGWOZlight1 (resized).JPG
WOZlight2 (resized).JPGWOZlight2 (resized).JPG
WOZlight3 (resized).JPGWOZlight3 (resized).JPG
WOZlight4 (resized).JPGWOZlight4 (resized).JPG
WOZlight5 (resized).JPGWOZlight5 (resized).JPG

The holder is made out of wood. I put too coats of acrylic paint on it. The first was a metallic red. The second was a sparkly red with glitter. Together, they create a finish that is pretty close to the rails on my RR 75th. It looks way better in person, but here is an up close pic of the finish:

WOZlightfinish2 (resized).JPGWOZlightfinish2 (resized).JPG

I plan to add some key hole brackets to the back and hang it on the wall next to my pins.

Anyway, if you have low ceilings like me, this might be a solution for you. I hope you like it!

2 weeks later
#3049 7 years ago

As to prices, when I looked and eventually bought last year, you could find distributors with standards for ~$8,250 shipped, and you could find distributors with RRs for $9,000 shipped. Definitely call around if you are being quoted JJP sticker prices. There isn't as much wiggle room as with Sterns, but there is some.

1 week later
#3117 7 years ago

I didn't realize (or forgot) that you got an EB at 10 fireball frenzy jackpots. Of course, I have yet to get 10 fireball frenzy jackpots, but that's another issue.

#3120 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Just bought my first pin a new WoZ 75th. Doesn't get delivered until tomorrow. Planning a family game night tomorrow and they have no idea, should be fun!
My son took me to an 80's arcade a couple of months ago and I was hooked again. Went to look at the WoZ and it blew me away. Guy said it left the factory on January 7th and is number 138. I asked about play field protectors and he said it didn't need it. Anything you think I should do immediately to help protect it?

Congrats! You're all going to love it!

Nothing is really required except for the cliffy that protects the munchkinland playfield. It is a bit tough to install, but many people have had that playfield chip without it. There will be a bunch of posts in here about it. You don't need a playfield protector for home use. Just read Vids guide on cleaning and waxing, do it regularly, and replace the balls every once in a while.

#3138 7 years ago

If the topper isn't installed, then the metal bracket, which is L shaped, blocks the LED strip. You have to unscrew the bracket to put the topper on. The strip is revealed when you do that.

1 week later
#3191 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

So this weekend I decided to experiment a little. I always thought a little more light would be nice in the haunted forest so today I took one of the bumpers apart and added a light as an experiment. The end result isn't bad, now I have to figure out how to take them apart without sheering off the screw heads and work out a better light and wiring.

Nice! Looks great.

#3211 7 years ago

I'm confused. Are we expecting a new mode called reverse ball play that is different from reverse flippers?

Any new mode at this point would just be icing on this already terrific cake of code.

#3213 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Falconpunch corrected it and said "Reserve" rather than reverse. I don't know anything, but my guess would be a ball is held somewhere when in multiball and is given out to extend a multiball.

Ugh. Sorry. Missed the spelling correction.

1 week later
#3321 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In the picture the LED on the light board is actually not in the proper position aligned beneath the tube.

I recently had to replace a few of the GI light boards and noticed that the original ones were often not properly centered with the tube. By rotating them, I was able to get them centered. You definitely get more light that way. There may be others where due to space they needed to have the LED behind the tube. You still get the tubes to light up, but they are a bit more dim. One of these days, when I'm feeling bored, I'm going to go through all of them and see if I can get more properly aligned.

#3379 7 years ago

Just had my 6th GI board go in under two months. Luckily I'm still under warranty for a month or two, but this is getting ridiculous. I think I got a bad batch of GI boards. Feeling frustrated . . . .

#3382 7 years ago

They are 7.5v I think, but I don't know whether they are buffered or not. I bought the game in March 2016. I forget the build date but it was probably only a few months before then. The new GI boards that they are sending me look a bit different than the old ones, like they have an extra mini board attached or something.

#3388 7 years ago

those are buffered ones

So, the new ones I'm getting are buffered, is that right? What does that mean? What does the buffering do? Each of my failed GI boards has intermittently or permanently displayed the wrong color. I just find it weird that they are all going at once, after about 8 months of ownership. Also, why are the GI boards going but the other boards are not?

#3391 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

What do you use for the intermittent cleaning of the playfield between waxings?

Since reading Vids guide, I've basically just been vacuuming with the occasional cleaning with Novus 1 if I think it needs it.

#3394 7 years ago

a bad batch. It is common though once one goes bad the others are not far behind.

That's a bummer. At least they are still under warranty and have all been in easy to replace spots. Once that one under the castle playfield goes, though, I'm going to be pissed.

#3401 7 years ago
Quoted from BingoBongo:

All, I just had my first lighting problem and hoping someone has some ideas on how to fix it. It is the lower right flipper light and seems that just the blue diode is not lighting. You can see in the attached pictures how it is either not light or the color is off due to the lack of blue. Any thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

That's one of the GI boards. You are having the same problem I am having. You need a new board. Figure out the number of the board and contact JJP.

#3403 7 years ago
Quoted from BingoBongo:

Is that a call or an email to them?

On their website, they have a support portal. You can put in a ticket. It used to be somewhat unreliable, but I've had very fast responses lately from using the portal. Is your game still under warranty? If so, the board will be free but you have to send the old board back once you swap it out.

#3407 7 years ago
Quoted from BingoBongo:

I'm not totally sure. Bought it through a distributor back in October.

Quoted from BingoBongo:

Looks like the distributor will need to do it since they were the original purchaser.
Does any one know how to tell if I have the new boards that are supposed to be trouble free?

If you bought it NIB in October, you are still under warranty. With JJP, you typically handle warranty claims on your own, not through a distributor. JJP support is excellent. This should be an easy swap.

#3419 7 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Interesting, if the boards are always lighting, but sometimes displaying the wrong color, makes me think you didnt blow a board (where it just does nothing, and then all lights in the chain behind it are also dark) but instead (since it works intermittently) makes me wonder if you have a bad or failing solder joint on the RGB LED itself.
Recently one of the lights next to my state fair balloon (right by the left flipper) is doing the same thing. I am going to try and reflow the solder to the RGB LED and see if it really was just a bad solder joint (might as well, mine is way out of warranty).

Data is definitely getting through to the downstream LEDs. It is just something wrong with that individual one. Or, I should say, those six LEDs that failed recently. Not sure if it the solder joints, but I do seem to have received a bad batch.

#3436 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Well, I just joined the wonky light board club. Fortunately it's just one of the small GI boards and nothing downstream is impacted.
What's weird is that all the colors work, just not always the right colors.
For example in test mode:
Red = Red
Blue = Blue
Green = Green
White = Blue
Tried reseating it but no dice, I guess it's a call to JJP tomorrow.

Yep. That's exactly the problem I've been having. Though, it is different colors affected each time.

#3458 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

WOZ has technically supported 2.0 lighting (well, both light systems) since the last ISO update (6.06), though the lamp ordering changed since that release, hence 6.10 exists. There is a WOZ update in the works that should hit beta this week that will get the corrected lamp order out for everyone as well as some extra goodies.

Awesome! Can't wait for the extra goodies.

For those of us with the older system, what does the lamp ordering change mean? Perhaps we need to wait and see . . . .

#3460 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Nothing. There was 1 prototype set of woz 2.0 lighting boards made, then when the boards were released to production, the ordering was different from prototype to release. 6.06 supports the prototype ordering. Both are different from 1.x lamp ordering. Just an addressing issue, that's all. You could run a 2.0 lighting oz with 6.06, but the lamps would not be lighting up in their intended manner (e.g., the game might be thinking it's blinking the YBR #1 lamp, but really it's shoot again).

Ok. So those of us with the old lighting system (before 2.0) won't notice anything. But, we can still do the code update and enjoy the new features, is that right?

#3475 7 years ago

Some of my GI boards worked fine in test but intermittently didn't display white during game play.

#3489 7 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Thank you very much for saying all that, jletourn. I'm new here, and really not trying to start trouble, or do a bunch of bitching & moaning. It is what it is. Also, I'm aware that some of the people helping me from JJP are on these forums, and so I reeeeally want to be careful not to come across as some ungrateful d'bag. I can't say it enough.....everyone at JJP who I have spoken to have been incredibly friendly and helpful. I even sent an email to Jack, just to introduce myself and hopefully bring my situation to his attention, and he replied to me within MINUTES. I could not ask for better customer care & support from a company. REALLY.
As for the distributor.....while it was not my original intent to 'out' them in this forum (although I did drop a clue!), I agree with what you are saying, and if sharing this can aid anyone in future dealings with them, that's worth it to me. I purchased this pin from Automated Services LLC, aka Pinballs.com. In my last message to the lady who took my order, I made a point to say that I don't EXPECT them to do anything to make this right, and I just want them to know how thoroughly unhappy I am that I wasn't sent the item they SPECIFICALLY TOLD ME I was purchasing. I accepted delivery on good faith anyway, not wanting to make a huge issue out of it....because THESE THINGS HAPPEN. But in light of the unusual number of issues this particular unit has....I feel pretty screwed.
......And I haven't heard back from Automated since. They heard the words "I don't EXPECT anything" from them, and they really took it to heart. That's ok.
AGAIN, I know JJP will continue to work with me to get everything sorted out. They are the best. THE BEST.
And that's my story.

moonduckie, I'm really sorry for your experience, and if I were you, I would be pissed too.

I don't mean to take anything away from that, but I do want to offer a contrary view of Automated Services. I bought my RR75th through them and had a great experience. I called Mike the owner in advance and asked a lot of questions. He always took my calls right away; I never had to wait for him to call me back. The delivery was flawless. And, when there were a couple of issues that came up after delivery, I emailed Mike, got an immediate response, and he fixed things. I later ran into him at Pintastic, introduced myself and thanked him for the customer service. He hugged me. (I was a little surprised by that, but it was a nice gesture that I took to mean that he really cares about his customers.)

Perhaps the problem you experienced resulted from dealing with someone else there. My sense of Mike is that if he gives his word, he will follow through.

I don't mean to turn this WOZ fan club thread into a debate about distributors. I just wanted to let people know that there may be another side to Automated. My suggestion to you would be to call Mike personally and tell him about your experience. I'm not sure he can completely fix it since the game has been opened and played, but he might be able to make it up to you in other ways. At a minimum, he should know about the experience so he can prevent it from happening in the future.

#3490 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

I agree that eventually first generation lamp boards will no longer be available. The supply of parts will dry up and it's highly unlikely JJP will run more of them to service what will be 10 year old machines at that point. Especially since that system has been deprecated.

I'm not so sure about this. There were thousands of WOZs sold with the old board system. I have to think that JJP is not going to abandon those customers, now or in the future. And, if they are no longer around as a company, someone else will make boards to help all of those owners out. It is too large of a market to just stop servicing.

#3510 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yeah, i'm running it. Its really awesome that they are still updating the code!

How did you get the beta? Does it have any new features?

#3511 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

What is the easiest way to rack up a lot of points on WOZ? I am just a mediocre player and have only scored a high of 333,000 after around 50 games. I'd like to crack a million. What is the fastest way to do this? I don't care about progression through the game for this particular goal.

There are some tips here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-strategies-for-points-and-for-the-quest

#3514 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Thank you! I had a first ball with Rescue, Emerald City and Haunted Forest Multiballs and went crazy for about 760,000 points then my next two balls sucked and I ended with 806,000 and change! Not yet a million but more than double my previous high!

Great! By the way, it took me 7+ months to break a million, and I've only done it once. I'm just average, but that game was a blast.

#3525 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Earlier in the thread I read someone protected the mini munchkin playfield with something other than the Cliffy. I'm a big fan of cliffys, but the difficulty to install on this one has me shying away. I don't like drilling playfields at all. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think someone said that they might have put some weather stripping on as a temporary measure until they got their cliffy, but I could be making that up.

Frankly, you should bite the bullet and install the cliffy. The piece of mind alone once it is done is worth it. I'm like you. I get extremely nervous about these types of things. And, despite what others said about this not being so bad, I found it pretty difficult. But, I don't have a lot of experience. Still, I got through it. Just follow the instructions and take it slow. When you put everything back together, double check the placement of the wires under the playfield. Make sure they are clear of the munchkinland flipper or it could affect the lights when you flip. Again, you'll feel better when you do this. Believe me, if I can get through it, anyone can.

#3545 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Man, now I might have to look...

It's bad to read pinside and then look at things on your game. I've discovered so many issues that way that I never knew were there . . . .

1 week later
#3581 7 years ago

Get the cliffy for the munchkin mini playfield at the very least.

Ha! I think Pinside needs to add a feature that every time someone adds a WOZ to their collection, they get an automatic email telling them of the importance of adding that cliffy. It seems like one of us is saying it every 50 posts or so.

#3585 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Last night I powered the game on and during the game I noticed the whole playfield lighting was out, bar the Wizard hole and the crystal ball. I powered the game off and back on and the game played as normal again. Has this happened to anyone before? I was worried that a light board had died.

Yes. It has happened to several of us. It is a rare occurrence for me, and I assume you too. Rebooting is the solution as you discovered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
714 posts in this topic match your search for posts by nokoro. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/1?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.