Screenshot_20240423_152310_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_2020 (resized).jpeg
20240423_100836 (resized).jpg
20240423_100825 (resized).jpg
20240423_100718 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider basementfacts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

286 posts in this topic match your search for posts by basementfacts. You are on page 1 of 2.
#15034 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

As much as I like DP and AIQ with those final blows, I don’t always realise I’m on that shot.

I've never played AIQ, but it's very obvious on DP. The scoop light pulses, GI goes dim, and there's a "heart beat" audio queue.

#15110 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I would buy a BTTF pin sight unseen.

Same. As stated in my fandom contract.
It would have been the same for EHOH, if not for the clause at the end: "If the deadheads look like a Windows 95 screensaver, this contract shall be null and void."

#15111 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

For artwork I can see something like Ghostbusters that turned out with the cartoon style artwork from ZY.

I'd be happy to never see another ZY pin again. He's good, but that style is played out.

#15115 3 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

It's hard to imagine him not doing comic book style art for some specific titles though, like DP and GB. He really brought a fresh style to a lot of the stiff looking Stern art of the past. Definitely don't need him on every title but he is still a breath of fresh air for Stern art 5 years later.

It was certainly an improvement. Looks great. But.... so does X-Men. Good comic art doesn't start and end with ZY. It's actually the wrong look for AIQ imo. Perfect for TMNT tho.

#15255 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

To me releasing Godzilla while Jurassic Park is being produced makes about as much sense as releasing Mandolorian while Star Wars is being produced.

So just because both franchises have giant lizards in them means the fandom is the same? They seem EXTREMELY different to me, but I'm not a big fan of either.

#15417 3 years ago

So since it's a Kapow title, is it more likely we'll get a good license treatment? Movie clips? Audio clips? I wonder if that's one of his requirements when he signs on? I suppose I'm fine with Mayor Goldie doing call-outs.

#15421 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Are you just assuming it’s Kapow?

No. He teased it at 1:36 in this podcast -- https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/12947717
It's likely the first tease that sparked the rumor. The schedule and "big license" lines up also.

#15463 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Actually I worked at a movie theatre as a projectionist in 1985 when it came out. It was an awesome movie which I still quite enjoy. And I think the 80s was the best decade but I still don’t get the over-the-top love for the theme as it relates to pinball.

Maybe you're too old then. I saw it when I was like... 5? And it blew my mind. It's been my favorite franchise of all time ever since. It's a DNA-infused thing you only get when you're a kid.

Quoted from FalconDriver:

Look how many AIQ LEs flooded the market after the buy first play later routine. It will happen again with BTTF I'm sure.
Just another nostalgic thing like Ghostbusters was in the 80s. Shitty material coming out of Hollywood anymore so why not go Back in Time and relive those special themes many around here grew up with.

Disagree. Marvel isn't in the same league as BTTF in the pinball-buying demo. The GB guys are going to hang onto BTTF. For me, those two will be the cornerstone of my lineup and will never leave. (I own GB Premium). It would need to be SUPER shitty (like 1990 shitty) for me to get rid of it.

#15522 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I hope they make Harry Potter so I do not have to drop another $12K on a pin this year, lol.

Pinball is probably one of the only hobbies where you *don't* want them to release what you want.

#15599 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

BTTF 1 and 3 were both excellent 80s movies. But for me personally, part 2 is a pretty bad film that hasn’t aged well. But that’s just me, I’m sure many bttf fans here love them all. I do like 1 & 3, I’m just surprised how campy and strange the 2nd one feels. And I laugh every time at Elizabeth Shue playing Jennifer with that 80’s wavy hairdo. At least most of the futuristic predictions came true!

I've always felt Part II was strange as well, but I don't like it any less. It feels kind of like a dream, which I like. It's also the most interesting one with the time travel element. It's the glue that holds I and III together, which were more straight-forward plot-wise.

#15683 3 years ago

Joe Kaminkow seems to take on projects he has personal interest in. He's got a Batmobile, and the rumor is he was Marty on the original BTTF backglass with Gary (Gary is in his inner circle of friends) contrary to the belief that Marty was the son of [I forget the designer]. I don't have anecdotal evidence for why he did Beatles, other than it's a weird choice for a license and maybe supports the idea that he and Gary will do something just because they want to, not for business reasons. For me, it's enough evidence to be sure that BTTF is coming eventually and it's a Kapow game. I can't wait.

1 week later
#15816 3 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Cost-related: I think all the machines hold their value well and my gutt feeling is that LE is the best investment as people always are looking for the LE versions.

From what I see, you're right, LE is most sought after, and there are of course a ton of Pros. Premium is kind of forgotten and retain value well also, since they seem to be about as rare as LE. I'll buy Premium if I love the theme and have no intention of selling. LE buyers seem to flip more because of the "investment".

#15878 3 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

We need a break from the music pins...unless it Queen...lol

Or Beastie Boys or Daft Punk.

#15887 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Daft Punk highly unlikely since they are no longer together as a performing band,act whatever they are.

Whether they perform together anymore has nothing to do with licensing or fan demand.

#16104 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I could honestly even do the movie of this. It was a pretty cool fever dream.

[RE: Speed Racer live action movie]
I quite enjoyed it. It's really the only live action I've ever seen that truly feels faithful to the source. People shit on it because they compare it with other movies, instead of comparing it directly to the animated series.

#16108 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Yup this one also crossed my mind. What other huge video game franchises would qualify?

I'd love a Metal Gear Solid pin. High-tech + Military theme. It'd be pretty unique in pinball. Tons of lore to craft around too.

#16110 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Speed Racer live action just felt like a colorful mess to me.

Which is why I loved it. Different strokes.

#16138 3 years ago

You’re not wrong that some people buy it anyway. But it sucks and a significant number of people pass on them for these reasons.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Mando w/ 2 seasons can do that.
TMNT doesn’t have the content of the 100s of episodes...or the real voices. People bought it anyway.
GOTG had 1 movie & fake voices, people bought it anyway.
Sopranos doenst have the whole story. Doesn’t matter. You’re doing mob shit & that’s all it needed.
TWD has zero show content. You’re fighting zombies. That’s all it needed
If Mando has 7-10 modes based an action scenes and quests of the existing seasons, that’s enough to make a solid pin. If it has the real music, clips & some good custom voices (Bill Burr, Amy Sedaris, Pedro Pascal) people will be more than happy with it.

#16140 3 years ago

I have no evidence other than anecdotal Pinside talk. But no one is going to say they want a half-assed use of a license. Dunno why you’re defending poor executive decisions.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Show me evidence that a significant number of people pass on any TV based game for those reasons. Not ONE TV based game contained an entire series worth of story & content.
As beloved as TSPP is, it didn’t have ANY episodic or story content from the series...but it had a ton of jokes, lines, characters, and that’s all it needed.
To be a great representation of a theme does NOT mean a machine has to tell a story of any kind. It just has to be the essence of the story & include iconic elements.

#16262 3 years ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

It's not my number one but I think if you ask Stern which theme would sell the most pinball machines I'd bet a LOT of money that the answer would be Harry Potter. Number of books sold, movie box office, theme park revenue are all strong indications of how well this theme would do.

As much as I dislike wasting a slot for it, you're probably right. Harry Potter will be very successful in barcades, and probably a lot of young family home users as well.

#16290 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

He said it wasn’t BTTF on his Facebook post. ‍♂️

Kaneda has built his entire life around trolling and market speculating. I'd never trust a word he says.

#16292 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You know him personally?

No. Only about 10 years observing his online behavior.

#16294 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

You have been following him on facebook for 10 years, but only 2 years active on Pinside?

Various arcade related forums, of which he's been banned from most. Hey, just my opinion fellas.

#16333 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

is Stern in any rush to release another title?

A new title nets them millions of dollars almost instantly. And red states are mostly open, god bless 'em.

#16359 3 years ago
Quoted from John0560:

The only music pin I want to see is a Weird Al Yankovich.

Fuck all the other nonsense in this thread. THIS is what we need. It would sell, not joking. A pin to unite us all.

#16395 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Lifestyle brands don’t send out surveys to their community. They set the trends they don’t blindly follow mob rule.

True. But Dad Rock? That's hardly setting a trend. That's gray hairs making decisions because their generation likes it. As a 40-year-old who loves pinball, it's one frustrating thing about the hobby. They're quickly becoming out of touch with a growing demographic. Spooky at least got it right with R&M. Scooby is a step backward though.

#16401 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

It's been determined previously that about 25% of pinball buyers are on Pinside in some capacity. This conclusion was reached by comparing known quantities of a given title versus registered owners on Pinside, combined with some other math to account for variables, such as people keeping their collections private, ect.
Someone laid it all out in a thread once. And from what I've seen, it seems about right. Pinsiders represent probably the single largest group of buyers in one place, but not even close to a majority of buyers.

If this is true, then this comment makes even more sense:

Quoted from John0560:

People that are buying new 6-15k dollar machines are already screwed up in the head enough and addicted enough to this hobby to not be on here. I value your opinion as a fellow pimsider but respectfully disagree.

NIB buyers are people who DGAF about what it is I.E. commercial operators who buy Pros and addicts with too much money to blow on LEs.

#16403 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Classic rock is timeless, and all generations know it and like it. Check out all the music reaction videos on Youtube...20-somethings are listening to AC/DC, Rush, etc and LOVING it.

Know what they would love even more? Music from their generation.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Scooby has never ended. It's relevant to every generation since it started.

Because modern Scooby is killing it, isn't? People can't get enough of Scoob, can they? The same gray hairs are green-lighting Scooby "because we liked it 50 years ago".

#16432 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The "kids" won't buy a pinball machine of their favorite music genre. They will, however, enjoy a classic rock pin if one is in front of them.

Seems like you're still categorizing Age 0-45 as one demographic.

#16442 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Playfield has a wooded area.

Twin Pines Mall. BTTF confirmed.

#16448 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Music made today doesnt even last a year. People dont buy albums, they buy songs. New "music" will not translate at all, or sell to us grey hairs that have the $$$ to spend.

Really interesting how a couple decades are completely forgotten on this forum, and 30-to-40-year-olds have no money. I have money for Beastie Boys, Eminem, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Offspring, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Radiohead, Green Day, Foo Fighters, and Michael Jackson.

#16451 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Umm, that is 90s music, 30 years ago and Im sure Stern will change as needed, they know their market. You may not have grey hair, but you might as well be considered one.

85-05 = 2 decades. You missed my point, then called me a gray hair which supports my point. Still interesting.

#16453 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Nirvana? Early 90s, Beastie? late 80s. Good PJ? 90s. Thats my point. That music is being played on classic rock, just like LZ and the Doors. There time will come, just not today.

Your (and many others here) point was that people who like any music made after 1985 are kids with no money. Also what station includes grunge with LZ and Doors?

#16467 3 years ago

This > Mandaborian.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We now know Stern wants to reach the late teens and early 20 year old market. The nearly confirmed rumor of the next Stern pin is a game called "YouTube Star", an official license from Google. You are trying to get as many subscribers as you can to become the number 1 influencer in the world. Hit ramps and orbits to generate ad revenue in a race to become the biggest YouTube channel.
Shoot the 3 drop targets and "Like and Subscribe" bash toy to earn ad dollars. All games feature custom callouts by some of the worlds biggest YouTube stars. Go crazy in "Subscriber Multiball" where all switches score your channel a new subscriber. This game will be internet connected and if you earn a high enough score you will appear on Stern's official "Trending High Score" leaderboard (*subscription to The Stern Global Lifestyle Network required). A built in camera will also capture video of you playing and auto generate to YouTube (hit bumpers for more jump cuts). The special "Gold Subscriber Edition" comes with a unique gold mirrored back glass for $15k.

#16531 3 years ago

If Stern is at all smart with marketing and mitigating leaks, they would “leak” misinformation. Still hoping it’s BTTF. If not this round, maybe later in the year.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#16722 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not saying only pins with assets can be great

I like Deadpool's presentation, and I think it works better than if it was based on the live action movies. But I also think comic book themes get a pass for that. I'm fine with AIQ's half assed animation because it resembles a comic book. DMDs also get a pass to a certain extent, as long as the audio is there. If a license' source is only from a film, I expect assets from it on LCD pins. Otherwise it feels like a knockoff. I'm not paying 5-8 grand for a knockoff like JP.

#16783 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Original BTTF pin couldn’t get MJF’s license. If a BTTF pin ever does happen, you’ll likely be very disappointed.

How is something that happened 30 years ago relevant today? Besides, the next BTTF is a Kapow title. He doesn’t fuck around with licenses.

#16834 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

LOL! Of course they do. But you missed the point.
Stern has a pretty significant production back order for proven, current titles for distributors/customers with money already committed. That back order demand should be reduced significantly (by producing more games) before a new game goes on the line. That benefits Stern by keeping customers happy and giving the software team more time to improve the release code for the new game.

Logical and heart warming, but not how a corporation operates. Priority #1 is to make money. New releases generate huge revenue instantly.

#16860 3 years ago

I think y’all are overestimating the popularity of Mandalorian. Stranger Things was a fresh, cultural phenomenon that everyone was talking about. Netflix has more reach than Disney+. The Marvel pins had pre-pandemic blockbuster movies in front of them. Normies were into them, is what I’m saying. Mandalorian seems more nerd-culture niche in the grand scheme of things. And if Stranger Things did poorly at launch like some are saying, I suspect Mando to be almost DOA by Stern standards. But I mean, cool/lucky for you guys that like the show. Just a business misstep IMO.

#16893 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Good businesses take care of their current customers first so they will come back and buy more.

Stern knows you’ll come back anyway, and at any price.

#16967 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

But the pin would’ve had to start in design a year ago .That’s the only reason it’s not the 2/1 fav .

Stern has been talking to Disney for a long time. They would know about Mandalorian well before a public announcement. A tentative deal for a pin could have been inked before the show started airing. If I were Stern, I'd set a condition that the show would need to reach a certain amount of popularity before going ahead with production. Meanwhile, Stern takes a small gamble and starts designing the pin in anticipation of it being successful. It's plausible the design was nearly finished when the show started airing. Pretty standard business practice.

#17033 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

HP is past it’s sell by date.

And yet Batman 66 successfully exists. Also "its".

#17036 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, Batman '66.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.10.12 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.10.12 PM (resized).png
#17124 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I wonder if cara dune will feature in the game as Disney gave her the spear at the end of season 2. Surely the game would have been basically finished before that even happened.

Very doubtful Disney would have control over the code, art, etc (or remembers this pinball license) this late in the game. It would fuck Stern and Stern could probably sue depending how much work has been done.

#17127 2 years ago

Everything has already been greenlit by now. A licensor can’t just keep changing things forever. It would ruin the licensee’s business and reputation. No way Stern would roll over if the cabinets are already in production, unless the extra money and time to remake the cabs are on Disney’s dime (which is certainly plausible). All that aside, I can’t fathom the pettiness on Disney’s part if they did that. I still don’t think they care that much about pins.

#17434 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I choose not to decide.

ichoosenottorun (resized).jpgichoosenottorun (resized).jpg
#17494 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's nothing wrong with the Stern LCD screen size but they need to step up their animation game

EHOH looks like a PC game from 1997. Main reason I didn't buy it.

#17524 2 years ago
Quoted from Zukram:

That youtube tease says coming soon, not coming next....

Exactly. Watch Mando be a "home pin" and not a mainline title.
It's plausible Stern is teasing it just because it's May 4th, not because it's actually next or a mainline.

#17652 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

DP is perfect for newbies. The battles are just a series of lit shots then flashing scoop to finish, it’s as simple as shooting what is lit, How is that unclear?

I recall a pinsider, perhaps in this very topic, complain about the final shot not being clear enough. When you’ve got a Pinsider saying it, all hope is lost for Joe Both-Flippers.

#17719 2 years ago

Why does everyone assume it’s a specific guy’s (like Dwight) fault? From my experience, 99% of the time it’s an executive’s fault for rushing a product that’s not ready or reassigning people to different projects. Gary had zero incentive to improve GB, so my guess is Dwight did it in his down time. Sounds like a good guy to me. I have no doubt he wants to make everything he touches awesome if he had the time. That’s the mentality of any creative professional.

#17725 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because Gary is an accountant - not a rules designer. He doesn't meddle in the factors people are talking about here. This has been discussed time and time again in interviews over time. Gary is like an Executive Producer - he doesn't get into the weeds.

You’re confirming my statement that he’s an executive with authority to ship products without them being finished. Dwight has a boss. If it’s not Gary, it’s someone else. Blame the boss. It’s silly to think Dwight is just haphazardly doing whatever he feels like.

#17729 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

But all the programmers have the same boss. Do you think the boss is giving Dwight and Lonnie different resources, including time and support, than someone like Keith? Or that Munsters was afforded less resources for whatever reason? Or are you just saying that the boss is ultimately accountable for the end product, so Dwight is off the hook because the boss accepted the final product?

All of the above could be true. It’s my opinion that Dwight has made some great games. It’s possible he had less time for certain games, or he works slower, or some other reason. But yes, at the end of the day, accountability falls on the boss. That’s why they’re the boss.

#17730 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The beef is with his choices for the code.

That his boss must approve. Curious what line of work you do if you’re failing to understand that concept.

There is precedent for Dwight making good games. So it’s more plausible that some other factor is involved with Munsters than Dwight just being a shitty programmer.

1 week later
#18306 2 years ago

My issue is not so much the end-user flippers, but the distributors who auction their LEs for several thousands over MSRP. They are abusing their privilege and making thousands off of Stern. And the ultra-rich are gatekeeping LEs. I'd like to see two changes. 1) Stern needs to update their distro agreement and make it forbidden to sell above MSRP. 2) If distro has more demand than supply, simply choose names from a hat.

Quoted from Grantman:

Something needs to change with this Stern LE situation. There are a bunch of Mando LEs in the marketplace already asking $12k to $16k. That's insane. As a collector (not a flipper), I hope that Stern ramps up the LE production so that only collectors (or operators) are buying them and demand doesn't outstrip supply so much that the LEs are difficult to buy when they first come out. From Stern's (and distributor's) perspective, it doesn't do them any good that there are people willing to pay $9k for a game and can't get them. I know somebody is going to say that defeats the purpose of a "limited edition" if they are making 1,000+, but are you buying a game to play or are you just hoping that the value goes up? These are toys/entertainment, not investments.

#18312 2 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

So much for the free market . People - and yes businesses too - can list items for sale at whatever price they see fit . You don’t t have to buy . If idiots are willing to pay then so be it .

Really? Everything everywhere? GameStop can list a PS5 for $1000? Sony is cool with it? Doesn't seem likely, but I don't know for certain.

2 months later
#19606 2 years ago

Casuals don’t pay attention to even the most basic instructions. For example, time and time again, on Scared Stiff, the spider hole:

Visual Queue: PF goes dark, DMD displays arrows pointing up and instructs player to use flippers to stop the spider.
Audio Queue: “Look up! Stop the spider!”

You know what they do? Don’t look up, stare at the PF, they think the game broke, and start mashing the flippers. There is no saving these people. I think even the most complicated rule set on a modern pin is easier to understand than solid states — but I didn’t grow up on those so might just be lack of experience. Hobbit can fuck off though.

Quoted from V8haha:

I’ll probably get some heat for this but stern can we please get a game with a simple easy to understand rule set?
BSD is one of my all time favorite games and it’s because of how basic and rewarding the rule set is.
Easy to start multi ball and for the advanced the challenge of staking all 3.
As an operator I’m afraid that the casual player has no idea what’s going on and if their doing well or not. Leaving the experience unrewarding.

#19608 2 years ago

Oh Jesus don’t weebify my BTTF.

Quoted from HomerEBW:

Would love to see a SLE Back to the Future!
[quoted image]

#19637 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

I've had a growing ire for the extra action button. It's feeling more and more like a solution in search of a problem, rather than a desirable feature that makes the game better

Isn't the rumor that its primary purpose was to help casuals start a game? You'd be shocked by how many people can't figure out how to start a pinball machine; blinking start button be damned. I generally like the extra mechanic. Tacked on, sure. But it's a nice little "extra thing to do" while playing, and some strat involved on when to use it + when it's safe to take your hands off the flipper buttons. Deadpool does a good job with it.

#19690 2 years ago
Quoted from prl867:

I’m good with Godzilla. I’d much prefer a BTTF, but only if they are able to secure all likenesses (MJF, CL, LT, DMC, etc). I wouldn’t want it to be a Jurassic Park situation where the only license they can get is like the Mayor or someone similar.

Kapow doesn't fuck around with licenses. It'll be the full deal or Joe won't make it. I believe it's Joe and Gary's pet project so it's gonna be killer. IMO.

#19698 2 years ago
Quoted from alpo3744:

It would be great to have Chris Lloyd do the call outs.

Could be hit or miss. He's really old and his voice doesn't have the vigor anymore. Mayor Goldie might be the better pick. It would be SUPER dope if MJF did it, of course. After everything MJF has been through, and after hearing his Fresh Air interview, I wouldn't be surprised if he's more open to fun projects like this for modest money. Baking MJF Foundation donations into the price would be a no brainer, and I think buyers would be receptive to that. I would.

#19804 2 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

I would love to see a modern High Speed game

How do you top Getaway?

#19850 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

flipper collectors

Flippers. Not collectors.
My guess that the reason Stern doesn't do direct sales is just because of ancient legacy relationships. Old boys' club. Might change when Gary leaves.

#19893 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Do you think Stern could slow down the release of new games, given the massive backlog they're still trying to work through?

Ethically, it would be prudent to do so.
Business-wise, new titles inject predictable millions of dollars instantly.
Which option is a business likely to choose?

#19956 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Can we please get a 007 Bond game...Player could advance through the different actors who've played bond or it could be straight up Bond vs Spectre.

I feel like there are way too many films to include the entire franchise. The different actors is a neat idea.... buuuut overall I think there will be a lot of content missing that won't satisfy anyone. Best bet for success would be to focus on the Craig era -- sorry if you're fans of others, just makes the most commercial sense.

#20016 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Beastie Boys anyone?

This is the most obvious choice for newer music with wide demo. Insta-buy for me.

#20272 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

And if i missed a great game then i can consider to buy it later in the secondary market.

Unless it's JJP, Spooky, or Stern Studio that actually appreciate in value. FOMO is real.

1 week later
#20599 2 years ago

You are blinded by bias for whatever reason. People (probably not on Pinside) spend $100k on Delorean replicas, there are often cast reunions at cons, Nike made the shoe, MJF and CL were on Jimmy Kimmel, there's a BTTF documentary about fandom, the list goes on. None of the IPs you listed, including Godzilla (in the West), have done all of these things.

Quoted from gambit3113:

In my opinion there are far better 80s movie licenses for properties that have carried much more general popularity into the 2020s: Ferris Butler’s Day Off, E.T., and Goonies come to mind top of head.

#20602 2 years ago

Worldwide popularity of a franchise is less relevant in the context of pinball.

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

As popular a theme as BTTF is Godzilla is about 100x bigger. Something like 60 films since 1954, sofubi and Bullmark kaiju toys that collectors pays thousands for. Sure some Americans don’t care / don’t get it but that does not negate the fact that Godzilla is one of the largest licenses the world over with millions of fans.

#20611 2 years ago

You're right about that. There is more nuance to it. I'm not sure a mega-band like AC/DC from Australia is a fair comparison to Godzilla. Pinball is less popular in Asian countries. I don't think Godzilla will get them playing more pinball.

Quoted from gambit3113:

That’s fundamentally untrue. Why do you think AC/DC was chosen before all the other bands that Stern produced? The first run of pros go onto shipping containers to Europe and Australia. The worldwide market is 100% relevant. A license that leaves Europeans and Australians (in particular) scratching their heads is a non-starter. Hell, Munsters was a questionable choice in that department.

#20707 2 years ago
Quoted from mostater:

Based on box office sales, big trouble doesn't seem like it was all that popular. According to IMDb, there were many, many other movies released that same year that did so much better

Many cult hits fail at the box office. Big Lebowski is probably the best example.

#20752 2 years ago

So what's the codename for Godzilla if everyone is so sure it's Godzilla?

#20829 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Give me the Clubber Lang " I'm the baddest man in the world " LE

I prefer the "HEY WOMAN! LISTEN HERE!" LE myself.

#20832 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

If they make 1000 of them the term ‘Limited Edition’ becomes somewhat of a misnomer.

If Spooky can sell out 750 in minutes, I'm pretty sure 1000 is still limited. Seems like a reasonable number after the highly-flipped Mandalorian. Flippers will start thinking twice, and those who actually want to keep their LE will have a chance.

#20884 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

If you’re going to use a Keanu Reeves film make it Bill & Ted or John Wick.

Speed pin would be insta-purchase. Lots of material to use creatively for the pin. Don't drop below 50mph for a hurry-up mechanic is obvious. Great Dennis Hopper callouts from the movie. Etc etc.

#21083 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I think thats the best looking munsters even though the colored version is amazing too

It was a cool gimmick, but it's one of those things you can only get away with once.

#21225 2 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Im done with people crying nonstop about stern’s prices rising. Take a look around, ALL PINBALL PRICES ARE RISING! Look at the Banning auction and see what folks a dropping on used games. Stern is a business and business is good so why not raise prices?

Not to bring up home prices again, but the point is, the world is upside-down right now. Everything is more expensive, including other hobbies I partake in not related to pinball. But I get it, it's hard to resist complaining about it. We are in an unorthodox period in history. This sentiment goes far beyond pinball. We (society, humans) need to weather this storm and hope it improves. Get ready for a long haul.

#21330 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

I don't mind original animation/video if done well. Deadpool video assets are fantastic. AIQ videos on the other hand feel soulless, and TMNT... those turtles look like they could be from Five Nights at Freddy's.

This. Stern's animation is garbage. Spooky too. On the other hand, their 2010s dot work was fantastic. ColorDMD > most Stern LCD.

#21525 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Maybe a tribute to the original 1954 film poster, instead?[quoted image]

I would have liked to see this artwork, or any period artwork, over Zombie "Target Toy Aisle" Yeti.

#21538 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I dont mind waiting a year sometimes to get a game used.

In today's market, waiting a year doesn't necessarily mean lower price. In some cases, same or higher price.

1 month later
#22606 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I tend to sell off the games that have risen in value to fund NIB games after they’ve paid for themselves. Used to have exclusively 90’s Bally Williams pre pandemic but now I’m just going the new hot thing route. Definitely earns more this way and less upkeep.

Solid logic. It's what a lot of ops are doing these days. But it turns out to be a little counterintuitive imo, when every location starts having the same pins. I hold on to my 90s/00s lineup for this reason. I let the Jones's have their NIB. It trains pinheads to keep anticipating the next new thing, which is what you want, but when they get bored, they return to my infrequently changing lineup anyway. So it's not really hurting me. Upkeep, I dunno. I don't spend much more time on old games than new Sterns with their poorly made parts.

2 weeks later
#22991 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

There will not be a BTTF pin nor will there be a Jaws pin. Those two themes are not happening.

ETA is unknown, but all information so far makes it more likely that BTTF is happening, vs it not happening:

- Joe Kaminkow deliberately hinted at it on a podcast 2 years ago.
- Kapow hasn't released a title in awhile.
- Kapow has a track record with big licenses.
- Joe and Gary are the models on the 1990 BTTF backglass.

#22994 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Soda? Purple stuff?
Sunny D

Marketing fail. Purple stuff every time for me.

1 week later
#23178 2 years ago

https://vocaroo.com/1j1byFeX9Vab (The Pinball Show Podcast)
Taken from a BTTF hype thread. It's coming! Elwin's BTTF August 2022!
[quoted image]

Strange he only mentions SLE. SLE-only at $11k+ would be a big "F-you" to fans.

#23199 2 years ago
Quoted from spectrum-1980s:

I heard the cowboy bebop is a licence candidate from netflix. That kinda makes sense

If it's the live action license and not the original animation I will 100% believe I'm living in a simulation. Suicide watch if Stern's "artists" attempt custom animation.

#23200 2 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

If it's the live action license and not the original animation I will 100% believe I'm living in a simulation. Suicide watch if Stern's "artists" attempt custom animation.

#23273 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Absolute dream theme BTTF & Bond are the only 2 themes I will go in on now at the new crazy loco prices we are at.

Cash is already locked away for BTTF. I didn't care for a Bond pin til after watching No Time to Die (action was amazing; plot and villain was meh). It reinvigorated my interest for Craig's Bond. For me to be interested it would need to be the Craig era. Plenty of material to work with.

"So, as charming as you are Mr. Bond, I will be keeping my eye on our government's money and off your perfectly formed ass."

"You noticed?"

1 week later
#23518 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

On another note, what would you guys think of a Lego themed Pin? I am pretty sure this is as about cross-generational as you can get. Maybe Lego Batman or multiple Lego themes in one pin?

As an old(est) Millennial who played the shit out of Legos in youth and still buy sets to this day, I've never understood Lego [insert unrelated IP] movies, video games, and the like. I'll buy a Lego Star Wars set no questions asked, but products that aren't Lego sets don't make sense to me.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Place your bets?
Venom or Loki?

Not a huge fan of Marvel, but Loki production design was AAA+. If they could capture that in a pin, it has my attention.

#23542 2 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Radiohead would be a much better choice than Foo Fighters or Muse.

While I like Radiohead, their music is about the most anti-hype pinball music ever. Beethoven is more hype.

#23574 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Now I can't stop thinking about taking a pin who's callouts/story are centered around directly antagonizing the player and re-theming it. Replace all the abuse from the King of Payne or the Black Knight with moral support and backhanded compliments along with an art package of drab browns and greys that explode with soft pastel unicorn vomit when things happen.
"You drained your ball, that's nothing to be ashamed of!"
"You could fill two internets with what I don't know about pinball."
Draining right after the ball save expires: “You know what the happiest animal on earth is? It’s a goldfish. You know why? It’s got a 10-second memory.”
Bricking a hurryup until it's at the minimum value: "The harder you work, the luckier you get.”
Tilting: "I never know how to react when a grown man beatboxes in front of me."
Replay knocker replaced with "Knock-a-doodle-doo!"

Bob Ross pin LET'S GO. Each new game could be a random painting you need to complete. Find a great voice actor and LET'S. GO.

Calendar_810x608 (resized).jpgCalendar_810x608 (resized).jpg
#23620 2 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

I’m still hoping for a Futurama pin. Ridiculous amounts of content that would be perfect for callouts.

In 473 pages of this damn thread, this is the safest and most practical choice. The license has gotta be in the discount bin by now. Sign me up!

#23655 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

For the kids/grandkids though. Probably not as the only pin in the collection and I'm not an op, but I feel Pokemon would be a huge seller, especially now with the Stern interaction.

Our local barcade is heavily 20-somethings into 30s. Pokemon would do well there, as well as other video game themes. But I have a hunch Stern's priority isn't ops anymore. Also someone said the new Stern Prez comes from Disney? He could be the champion we need to seal deals for more obscure fan favorites like Futurama. Can we be done with Marvel and Star Wars for awhile?

#23742 2 years ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I think a hip hop pin would be great. Would open up the market to a whole new demographic. Every rapper and night club would have to have one. Not to mention all the Vanilla Ice wanna be’s…

That's a little optimistic... but... I think a group like Beastie Boys is mainstream enough and blurs the genre line enough to sell very well. Personally, I'd love it. I'd also love a "YO! MTV RAPS" compilation pin -- but that's way more niche for rap enthusiasts.

#23748 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Would love to see a new Indiana Jones game.. maybe in 2023 with the new film?
[quoted image]

If it's to promote the new film, be careful what you wish for.

1 week later
#24086 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

If you're gonna do pokemon please do sonic the hedgehog 1st

For sure! Sonic is as relevant to "ball go fast" as Pokemon. Let's get a Green Hill Zone loop in there! (powered by electromagnets like Getaway)

#24171 2 years ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

So did he really go to a pay only model? Seems incredibly stupid to make a pinball podcast only a couple hundred people will hear.

Outrageously optimistic.

#24255 2 years ago
Quoted from atum:

That’s a weird video… not the aesthetic I was expecting.

Stern animators firing up the old PlayStation 1 dev kit once again.

#24302 2 years ago
Quoted from flipperstick:

Rush - BTTF - Bond... How do people even get in the know about future unpublicized releases? Baffles me, but still enjoy reading the thread and other Hype threads.

Joe Kaminkow all but confirmed BTTF in a podcast, linked in this thread. It's 100% coming. He didn't retire after Beatles.

#24309 2 years ago

If Venom is comic book style (classic, not Zombie), I'm interested. If based on movie, my interest becomes 0%.

#24314 2 years ago
Quoted from bestbrad:

BTTF may happen some day but not likely in 2022 after reading the Harrison Drake Stern Pincube on Insider. He said he's already working on Elwin's next game. Says it's a secret, of course. Then jokes about it being BTTF just to feed the trolls. No way he would reference it if it was coming soon.

Elwin working on it is the least evidential rumor I've heard about the project. I'm not convinced this statement bars the pin from coming out in 2022. Elwin may not be involved.

#24465 2 years ago

Let's stay on topic. BTTF 2022 LFG!

#24553 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

What is the origin of all these BTTF rumors? Could it be that all the time machine related hints were really just for RUSH annd BTTF is codename for RUSH?

1) Joe Kaminkow said (very deliberately) "I have a meeting with Doc Brown" at the end of a podcast in early 2020.
2) Joe designed the original BTTF.
3) Joe is the model on the BTTF flyer with Gary, further indicating his strong connection to the IP.
4) Joe owns a 1966 Batmobile, indicating he makes pins based on IPs he personally likes.
5) Kapow deals with big IPs.
6) Kapow is due for a new release.
7) Hint from Danger.

#24571 2 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I'm no longer holding my breath for Back to the Future in 2022 with the focus being on Bond now. Need someone in the know to chime in other than the hopefuls talking about crumbs from podcasts.

Is there more evidence (or crumbs) for Bond than BTTF? Please share (no snark).

#24577 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Bond would only be economically viable if it was released with an insane price tag. It's a licensing behemoth.

TBF, it can't be far off from Disney, unless Stern got a bulk discount.

#24669 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Yeah, but in reality, the RUSH nerd that got the A+ in Calculus is currently knockin' down a comfortable salary as a software designer or engineer ... "Being Cool" is way over-rated....

Having worked in software, the job and industry sucks and it's boring AF. Glad I switched careers. Go ahead and nerd away. Us "cool dudes" aren't missing much.

#24723 2 years ago

The more logical thinkers here are getting hung up on specifics. Don't be deliberately obtuse. In my mind, "Dad Rock" is the extremely popular, mainstream, household names of the era. Boring, safe picks. (all of Stern)

#24767 2 years ago

You know you're on Pinside when...

Quoted from dzmechanical:

I don't think Justin Bieber could fill a stadium.....

Quoted from screaminr:

I'm scared to ask what tiddies is

Quoted from Vespula:

It's phonetic..
Swap DD for TT and see if you figure it out.

#24893 2 years ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

Why would you want a pinball machine for a video game?

You hate video games. We get it.

#24946 2 years ago

Didnt I mention Final Fantasy. BTW How would you possibly play a role playing game on pinball?

Fundamentally RPGs are no different than movies.

#25005 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No. Different demographic entirely. And we're not even ready for another NFL pin, either.

If it was done very well, it could work. There's a lot more ways it could go sideways than done well, but it could work. A Snoop or Beastie Boys pin would be $$$$ on location. Just like Pokemon. Time to start thinking outside the box. It's really hard to believe sales will continue to increase with Rock pins after Rush. Are we saturated yet?

#25033 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think Stern and JJP have a good idea of who their demographic is when they're determining the next music pin; it's certainly worked out well for them to this point.

Spoken like a true corporate crony. "The demographic" are getting old fast. The pin industry better start pivoting soon. Will another 10 Rock pins over the next 10 years be just as profitable as they've been for the last 10 years? At some point risks must be taken in business, or shrinkage is inevitable.

#25052 2 years ago

And since there isn't a ton of visual IP associated with most hip hop, it could be a good vehicle to inject "original" IP with great music -- which is something a lot of folks here talk about wanting. Again, tricky to execute successfully, but could be done with the right people involved.

#25189 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

Spider-Man, Hot Wheels, Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, all the pinball themes are Child themed.

"It's true. This man has no dick."

"We came, we saw, we kicked its ass." (the alt of this is in the pin: "We came, we saw, we got our asses kicked.")

But maybe you're right. Maybe they are babies' toys. (BTTF let's go!)

Quoted from radium:

Do you even have kids?
My son is 4 years old and has a ton of TMNT and Transformers stuff. He also watches Voltron and Thundercats. Two of my daughters dressed up as marvel characters for halloween.

Only because you introduced him to them. No way he's into those IPs 100% of his own discovery. But Marvel of course is still marketed to children.

#25224 2 years ago

Randy Martinez on BTTF art?
[quoted image]

Please no. Franchi.

#25334 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

I would like to see this!
[GI Joe image]

1) Include the movie intro.
2) Keep Cobra-La storyline to minimum, but keep wacky Serpentor and Nemesis Enforcer.
3) Heavy Baroness and Jinx fan service.
4) Profit.

#25335 2 years ago

[double post]

#25348 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Hopefully me this year going to get .
BTTF
JAWS
[quoted image]

drake-bttf (resized).jpgdrake-bttf (resized).jpg
#25363 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Venom art work . What will the art look like. 3:30 am thought.
[quoted image][quoted image]

McFarlane or nothing.

Quoted from screaminr:

I've said it before but every time it's on TV I'll say it again .
This is the Matrix pin I want .

Classic "work your way up to final boss" mechanic. Just re-theme Deadpool. It's almost too easy!

#25421 2 years ago

I'm a BTTF true believer and convinced it will be Kapow's next title. But if Kapow releases something else, my hope will drop significantly and I'll use my earmarked cash for something else. I'll probably throw in the towel if nothing happens in 2022.

#25459 2 years ago
Quoted from big-c66:

ELVIRA is now November but the price is going to 9800$ to 10,000$ holy crap.

At least it'll bring the used market down to earth. There's going to be some folks underwater on this one.

#25490 2 years ago

RE is my favorite series of all time. (Classic RE 0-3 anyway)
1) The puzzles could be hurry-ups.
2) Shoot shots to get keys, then shoot more shots to unlock modes.
3) Upgrade weapons for bigger points.
4) Unlock everything for Master of Unlocking Wizard Mode.
5) Jill/Claire/Rebecca/Ada fan service.
6) Profit.

ada-claire-small (resized).jpgada-claire-small (resized).jpg
#25548 2 years ago
Change_My_Mind_Meme_Maker (resized).jpegChange_My_Mind_Meme_Maker (resized).jpeg
#25577 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That’s why Stern should just make Pokémon a location game. Make one pro model and churn em out. My location allows kids so this theme is an absolute no brainer coin drop wise.

I keep seeing the "kids" comments but arcade bars are filled with 21+ who will drop money as well, much more than kids. The prime demographic is like 25-35 now.

#25586 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What if Jaws is code for ….. ???

Plausible! Namco has been loose with the license lately. Not sure how you could make a whole pin based on Pac-Man though. A multi-theme with other classic Namco games might work...

#25635 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I don’t think it’s coming anytime soon either, I spoke with one of the guys at the head of BTTF merchandising a few years ago and he mentioned the only thing pinball related that had been brought to his attention was involving Vpin.

Because it would be prudent for "head of BTTF merchandising" to break NDA on a multi-million dollar deal to some rando?

#25640 2 years ago

Evidently you have all the answers, so how much money is involved in a pinball machine with a license like BTTF? End to end. From the moment of conception, negotiation, R&D, production, marketing, and sales?

#25641 2 years ago

[deleted]

#25650 2 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

We need an EDM pinball machine. I propose The Chemical Brothers.

I'm a huge EDM fan (90s/00s era) but I think the only act that could pull it off would be Daft Punk. There's enough style there and they'd be really into making custom music/fx for it. I really can't see anybody else being good for selling pins, including The Chems.

#25672 2 years ago

It would be cool to have different "year" art for Pro/Prem/LE:
1) Pro: 1955
2) Prem: 2015
3) LE: 1885
4) SLE: Alt-1985

#25691 2 years ago

Theme or gameplay is irrelevant for the whales/speculators who will buy every new LE just because they can. I'm sure this is the majority of the fabled "List".

#25695 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I believe Jaws was the code name for Jurassic park.

Then what is the codename for Jaws? Everyone seems to know the real names but not the codenames...?

#25711 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Im a fan .....but what a terrible film !

It did fall apart in Act 3 but it's better than QoS and Spectre.

2 weeks later
#25960 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Love the enthusiasm for it but I don’t think a BTTF is in the near (2 year) future any more than a TRON VE. Stern just has too much else going on.

How do you know what else they have going on? BTTF could be within 1-2 titles away. A brand new game is more important than a vault anyway.

#25964 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

there have already been enough hints dropped to determine that BTTF is not in the short term plans

sub·ter·fuge
noun - deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.

#25968 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I just want a Dragon Ball Z pin.... Transfers to Pinball So Well.

9000 Wizard Mode

#25976 2 years ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Because they do not want to get a bad reputation.

When they are, practically speaking, the only game in town, rep is meaningless. They are untouchable for the foreseeable future and they know it.

#25988 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Oh boy, BTTF is coming this year

Heard this from a legit source?

1 week later
#26078 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Beverley Hills Cop should have had a pin, first two movies where great! A funny pin is always a winner and why Deadpool is so loved!

Eddy's not doing much these days. He'd obviously need to do the call outs. And it would be epic.

1 week later
#26267 2 years ago

My future projects include sound modding, in entirety, 2011 Transformers and 2012 X-Men with their animated counterparts.

Quoted from briyau15:

I’ve seen it mentioned in the past and would totally support and purchase a Batman Animated Series. Maybe even dive into that universe a bit with Superman Animated Series and Batman Beyond. Possibly a bit of the Justice League stuff too.
Then thinking about all the other at home cartoons while 40 year olds were growing up I’m thinking Animaniacs (which was just rebooted on Hulu) and Tiny Toons (but that’s when WB was large in the 90s but maybe not as popular now). I’m sure there are others I’m missing that’s in that 90s window after the 80s mix of He-Man, Thundercats, and GI Joe.
Edit: X-Men animated series would be another now they are rebooting but may be redundant with the existing pins. The animated Spider-Man show was awesome too but same there.

#26284 2 years ago

Oh Jesus not the dad rock debate again.

#26409 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Say what you will about dimpling, ripples, etc, that people have issues with on their NIB machines, Stern's playfields still hold up surprisingly well under heavy use. My GOTG pro was routed and had these beauties in it when I picked it up. It was inside a laundromat and you would think this thing needed its own lint trap. When I got it you couldn't see all of star lords head between the flippers, it was just a brownish mass. It had ball trails and grime all around the orbit. A little bit of Novus 2 and an hour of cleaning and the playfield looks beautiful.
[quoted image]

I'm inclined to think a layer of grime actually protects the playfield

2 weeks later
#26572 2 years ago
Quoted from Pugster:

I sure hope that if BTTF happens that they get Huey and the rest of the News to sign on as well. "Back in Time" playing in attract mode = freakin awesome.

Imagine the balls it would take to release BTTF without licensing the theme song. It's naturally the only choice for Game Over music also.

1 week later
#26712 1 year ago

I'm 41 and liked very limited Hanna-Barbera stuff. I can only think of Scooby Doo and Wacky Races that I liked. In the 80s it was already past its prime. How can you compete with the badass IP Hasbro was doing? I feel like the folks who want HB stuff are the same folks who want more dad rock. Folks in the 35-45 range are still young in the pinball demo it seems.

#26736 1 year ago

I heard rumor of a revamp of Ghostbusters on the new spike 2 platform with new assets code named back to the future. Would be awesome.

Very much doubt Stern would ever revisit anything in this day and age, but it sure would be neat to get Insider Connected on GB. Otherwise, I think GB is a perfect game as-is with no need for revisiting.

#26743 1 year ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Beastie Boys is my dream music theme, been preaching this to my friends at Stern for years. Their music videos are hilarious there's loads of great content to pull from. Still hoping for a BB pin someday.
[quoted image]

It would shatter music pin sales records guaranteed. However I don't trust Stern with that license. That poster is sick btw.

#26756 1 year ago
Quoted from Diamond:

I’m pretty sure the LE’s are already sold out.

That's a reach. Then theoretically all LEs ever to be produced are "sold out" based on distro's Old Boys' Club waitlists.

#26777 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Name a Marvel movie that IS good.

I suffer from Marvel fatigue but the 1st movies per character (Iron Man, Thor, Cap) are pretty solid. Winter Soldier is my favorite. The action is more realistic and badass compared to others.

#26824 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I wonder what Stern is willing to pay for an IP. They have made Star Wars and Marvel games. Those are some of the most expensive IPs out there. I dont think its a cost issue if they can afford those two. I think its more of who is willing to work with them.

I assume every deal is different. Each IP holder has different wants/needs. Given the exhausting number of Disney IP pins, I'd also assume they got a bulk discount.

#26855 1 year ago

I love GB and have no problem with the flipper gap. I play just as well/poorly on it as other tables. BUT I think Tobin's Spirit Guide kinda breaks the game when it gives you the random 2x/3x multipliers (they stack for 6x). Those multipliers literally make or break your score since the rest of the game is fairly low scoring. The game becomes more chance than skill, which is unfortunate. But it still doesn't bother me too much because it's a thrill when you've got the multipliers running and a nice mode at the same time.

#26907 1 year ago

Tron Legacy was neat. The original aged extremely poorly.

#26952 1 year ago

Don't forget tv ads for the most popular brands in the world.

#26957 1 year ago

Why not a Disney land pinball. With different areas of the park represented on the playfield. .
Different modes like parking mode
New ride construction
Ticket que
Ride que.
Lunch
Profit operations
Staff and new hires

And once you beat wizard mode, it's revealed that all of the points you earned is money deposited into a Chinese bank account.

#26983 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I think it is where it depends where the money is with the demographics. HP will reach the players in their 20s-mid 30s. The money isnt there as much as 30-late 40s. I doubt people in their 40s would drop 10k for a Harry Potter pin over BTTF or some other 80s early 90s theme. Theme plays a big factor in selling machines.

We'll never know, but I'm curious to know the sales data of Operators vs HUO. I think HP is a perfect case study. I think it would kill on location, but not so much HUO. Dad Rock pins would be the opposite. And so on. Themes aimed at 25-40 vs 40-55 are very distinct, IMO. And it wouldn't matter (to manufacturers) if the numbers in each demo balanced each other out.

#27076 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I secretly wish they would release a Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones pin fully using the latest Stern hardware, but I know that will never happen.

Man... their dot work was 1000x better than their embarrassing PC CD-ROM motion graphics on LCD. Thank God those titles were still DMD.

#27145 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

There is a lot to be optimistic about with Stern Pinball
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Jarvis

Is he working with Stern now? He made great games early in his career, but Raw Thrills is meh.

1 week later
#27296 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

With all the utter garbage and weak cash grabs Hollywood pumps out every year I think that was a very very real possibility. Look what Disney did to Star Wars for crying out loud…with the original cast too boot. Heck, check out Hobbit. The examples are endless. Top Gun could have easily been horrifically bad, glad it wasn’t…no one would have taken a chance on it before release for a capital project like a pin.

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is Tom Cruise with jets. As Exec Producer, he takes it as seriously as M.I. He makes quality film when he's bankrolling.

#27370 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s very likely from what he has teased that he has Harry Potter.

He has teased BTTF just as blatantly.

#27423 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

They had been making fun for 5 years, that I agree with.

When it's any other theme: "100% Truth."
When it's BTTF: "Just making fun. Never happening."

(not calling out PinballManiac, just in general)

#27427 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Too many hints means it’s a diversion dawg.

4 (or more) individuals (all of whom are busy professionals) are coordinating a grand BTTF diversion just to own pinsiders?

#27444 1 year ago

How lame is it to only have Spike 2 games for your entire collection? Just my opinion of course.

#27548 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I think it’s a fair way to compensate for the crazy people calling to demand to be on lists for games that don’t exist. Most distributors don’t have staffs of 50 or 100 people where they can waste their days with rabid fanboys who want to be first on the list for games that are only rumors.
I think if it is a title you care deeply about, put in you $5 and get on the list before the flippers call on day one of the release and try to buy up all the new stock.

The ethical and easiest way to do it is:
1) Don't take list requests.
2) When a game is announced, state how many you'll have for sale on Day 1. Deposit must be made by a certain date.
3) After that date, randomize the people who made a deposit. They get a game. Refund the others (unless they still want to place an order and wait).

#27576 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Venom doesn't seem like that big an IP to me. It's ok but Bond, Jaws and BTTF all sound far better.

True, but it's a far cheaper license which means more money in Stern's pocket. They probably want to do cheap licenses every once in awhile.

#27592 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Cheaper I would say. I doubt any Marvel franchise is "cheap".

No doubt in my mind they got a bulk discount with how many Disney licenses they've already done.

#27629 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

True…but…I’ll beat a game 100x if it’s fun. Looking at you Deadpool. Too easy, too fun. Beat it twice in a row…beat twice in two balls, who cares.

Got video?

#27659 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I was actually going to buy a Mando since they had some in stock at Player One but I got nervous because they are in stock everywhere and if I don't like it I may have to sell at a loss.

Remember when selling at a loss was just a given?

2 weeks later
#28104 1 year ago
Quoted from JToeps:

Well I believe a cartoon G.I. Joe pin would be very interesting. A G1 transformers with Cullen and Welker has more global appeal and probably more nostalgia in general.

Man... I think a GI Joe x Transformers double-feature pin could work (animation). Just include both IPs. At the beginning of the game, shoot 1 of 2 shots to go down the GI Joe path or the Transformers path. It'd be a challenge for the PF art but it could work!

#28183 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Most importantly I hope Stern does not walk the same plank JJP did with price increases on Toy Story 4 . It is hard to lower your price point down after you set it on the moon.

Seems stupid to increase price "because JJP is doing it". "Yes... let's be like JJP and have potential buyers yell at us and not buy our pins also!" Pretty sure undercutting your competition is a good thing. If Stern keeps premiums under $9k (with Pros even more appealing), Stern is eating JJP's lunch. 5-digits is certainly the breaking point for most people. It leaves very little reason to buy a JJP unless you're a whale who just wants to show off or you literally already have a shrine at home for the theme. Hard to believe in JJP's future after this.

#28313 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

The license is expired. There will be zero new Stranger Things, it’s over.

ok? No reason they can't make another deal. It's just as valid/invalid as other theme requests. It could be easy money for both companies with little effort at this point. New code update + updated assets. Done.

#28335 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I love how people will just downvote facts on here. Very funny.

And I love how people will just downvote someone for quoting them.

#28484 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’ll take Yeti Venom art over Todd’s style in this video any day of the week.

I love Todd's style and what is in the video is not Todd. Unless Todd has suffered some kind of mental or physical injury (and I don't mean that to be edgy or rude). I'll take 90s Todd over Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-Yeti any day of the week.

#28570 1 year ago

My wallet is on ice until BTTF but an updated Stranger Things could change that. I'm a theme guy and I haven't heard of anything else on the horizon I want NIB.

#28583 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

These are toys, not investments.

It's stunning that you're ignoring the 50% growth in pinball the last 2 years (or the 400% toppers), but take a deep dive into Lego investments sometime if you really want to talk about toys. Not that I endorse pinflation. It won't last. But there's no denying it.

#28862 1 year ago

We still have ~40 days til August 31st. Chill, people.

#28869 1 year ago

^^ I'm the demo (41) but those bands are a whole lotta yikes. Sorry. But it makes me think why hasn't Wayne's World been done yet? Or rarely brought up? Perfect pin material.

#28907 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I wonder how long it will be before an anime pin is made. Dad rockers probably dislike anime too much for Stern to take the risk, but maybe an older anime like Speed Racer could be appealing.

Spooky is best/only chance. Evangelion / Cowboy Bebop / Ghost In The Shell are most popular and would be Day 1 for me.

#28930 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Sir, I too am also old. AKIRA was released in 1988 and still to this day it is regarded as one of the most amazing examples of hand drawn animation committed to celluloid. I would recommend this to anyone living or dead. Young or old. It is a triumphant piece of film. Absolutely incredible. Nothing will ever touch this and the process by which it was made is a thing of the past (very unfortunately). Not a single studio in the modern age would ever pay for the man hours necessary to create such a masterpiece. This is a perfect example of cell animation at its apex. So ummm…yeah, check it out! Highly recommended haha.

It's a technical masterpiece, but the story is a bit lacking for me. Those who've read the manga say the same. It's probably the most important anime in history, but it's overrated as a film. Just my opinion of course.

#28983 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I love your blind optimism; I think Stern want_ to do it but there are still too many license gaps, some way to expensive for Stern to shell out for

Kapow is doing it. If he can get Beatles, he can get anything.

#29030 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I grew up on Speed Racer and Robotech, enjoy Miyazaki, but anything with a Naruto or Pokemon vibe is eye cancer to me. And I'm something of a dad rocker, so... story checks out?

I was keeping this to myself, but since we're still talking anime -- yes. I'm out for anything after 2000. Just give me this:

anime starter pack (resized).jpganime starter pack (resized).jpg

#29214 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Sterns are definitely snappy but I prefer Bally WMS (and oddly enough Spooky flippers feel amazing to me because they use all Bally WMS parts. My ACNC and HWN are like buttery smooth feel with amazing drop catch sensitivity) I hate the JJP weak flipper feel too.

I can agree with this. When I go back to my Getaway and Scared Stiff, I'm like "godamn this feels good". Could be the stainless steel lockdown bar though...

#29298 1 year ago
Quoted from dpkzone:

OK, it’s August. Where is the announcement?

They technically have 30 more days.

Quoted from Jmxdc:

don't worry they will announce it when I'm busy and can't get back to my computer.

Same. Except I'll be sleeping while all the preorders fill up. I wake up to the Price-Is-Right losing horn every time.

#29319 1 year ago

This topic thread in one image:

B5B63597-67C7-4212-B6C4-00AF146B2E37 (resized).jpegB5B63597-67C7-4212-B6C4-00AF146B2E37 (resized).jpeg
#29348 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I just like that we don't know for sure what the next title is again. It's boring when everyone knows the next 5 titles that are coming.

It is actually pretty impressive how well they do keeping a secret given the size of the organization and all the people in manufacturing. There are leaks from time to time, ironically due to literally insane pinheads spotting the top 3 pixels of the Rush logo, but overall, A-

#29407 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

technically, wasn't batman 66 considered a "cornerstone" title? (it did not have a pro version)
I think that their definition of a cornerstone title is one that is developed and produced in-house by stern employed staff (engineers, designers, etc...)

Batman 66 is Kapow. So no. Elvira HOH also isn't cornerstone even though it was developed in house. Neither had Pro versions. So the definition of "needs a Pro version" remains. (IMO)

I am kind of curious what the structure of the Kapow/Stern relationship is though. Seems like the only difference is Joe is Producer/Director on the project and he uses Stern resources for everything else.

#29412 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Bttf: Blue. Maybe the chameleon trim that was on the Heavy Metal pin. Depending on art package.

Anything other than brushed stainless is the wrong answer.

#29472 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Cute thought but my Spooky games earn very well.

How well a game earns =/= how good it is (goodness being subjective anyway). Normies literally play anything that's not occupied, especially if it's a license they recognize. Pinheads don't touch my Ghostbusters Premium. "Well, Ghostbusters sucks" you say? Well, they don't touch my Scared Stiff either. Besides one dude who dominates its leaderboard. In fact, pinheads are so fickle that their/our opinions don't matter anyway. People like what they like and hate what they hate. Thankfully we have many to choose from.

#29519 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I spelled it Axel because subliminaly I want a Beverly Hills Cop pinball.

Bruh.... I need the Eddie Murphy laugh in my pinball machine.

#29584 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Going to watch Pray tomorrow night. Trailer looks good.

Is that the Amen reboot?

81w7Su8PzAL._RI_ (resized).jpg81w7Su8PzAL._RI_ (resized).jpg
#29707 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Far Cry might be the best multiball music ever.

Wait til I mod Transformers with "The Touch" (Stan Bush).

#29742 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

EVERYONE has different preferences and the like.

And nothing confirms this point better than the fact that some people actually bought a Pontiac Aztek.

Aztek1 (resized).jpegAztek1 (resized).jpeg
#29777 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

personally bttf is not a license that I like very much... I prefer teen wolf or robocop before back to the future... maybe it's because of my age... I was born in 1980 and it has never been a movie that drives me crazy. ...if I had to choose a topic for a pin, I'm sure I would choose many other topics before this one....but I understand that bttf fans are in the mood for a new machine.

I was born in '81 and BTTF is my #1 favorite nostalgia license. Therefore not sure how age plays a role in level of interest. Do you think you're too old or too young?

#29780 1 year ago

^Makes sense. I missed the location.

#29887 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

the dealers and insiders who know what the next three machines are already.

If everyone knows besides us, why not just post them here and save everyone the trouble? People posting they want BTTF have as much right to be here as the “insiders” giving us all the “facts” (but of course can’t back it up with sources).

#29938 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I can understand someone not wanting to promote over-sexualization of women with kids around. I can also understand why a bunch of old white dudes on a pinball forum don't get it though.

Plot twist: She's a lesbian! Could be an opportunity to teach an inspirational story!

Also -- Elvira was on The Super Mario Brothers Super Show... twice!

#29950 1 year ago

Remember when disney was normal. Need a pin of this for sure.

A "Disney Afternoon" pin with all the shows integrated would be epic.

1 week later
#30784 1 year ago
Quoted from dpkzone:

Horse poop. It’s called communication. Keep your customers, whoever they are, updated with timely communication. That’s how us adults do it at the big companies in our real jobs. Over communicate. Give them the “no update update” if you have no news. Even better, if dates are slipping, let your customers know. I’m sure you know this regardless of your age. Good communication and transparency solves so many problems. It even resolves problems before they become problems.

Except they said August. Check your calendar.

#30926 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Roger Moore is still the best, he would be already in bed way before the chick even got there.
"I thought you were going to take care of me personally"

A lot of folks put Moore at the bottom of the list, but I agree and like Moore the best (besides Craig-era which is a different conversation). Moore embodied the campiness the best. For Bond, I want full camp or full serious, it loses me when it goes somewhere between.

#31103 1 year ago

TFW 141 new posts since I went to bed and no news -- only bickering! I shoulda guessed.

#31230 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Why is there not a GI Joe pin? We’ve had Transformers, TMNT and now rumored He-Man.
GI Joe was just as popular and it would make a sweet machine.

Is Michael Bay what you wanted for Transformers though? TMNT was closer to the animated series but it was still a 5/10 presentation of what it could have been. Careful what you wish for. Stern makes great shooters but their treatment of beloved IPs leaves much to be desired.

#31373 1 year ago

Mario and/or Zelda would kill. Stern execs are too oldschool to consider that, though. IMO. It's actually really frustrating how old-leaning pinball is.

#31399 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

But in all seriousness, it’s most likely Nintendo being Nintendo. Seeing as how stranger things was made, which is an original IP and the newest one in all pinball of the last decade I do believe.

I dunno. Maybe it's just my Type-A personality, but if Stern really wanted to make it, they'd send their A-Team of salesmen to get it done. When a Mario movie starring Chris Pratt is announced, anything becomes possible. Not even mighty Nintendo can scoff at Stern's portfolio. Stranger Things makes more sense [why it got made] because licensing TV/movies is in their wheelhouse. Vidya games would be new territory. Just takes one zealous salesman to break into it though.

#31495 1 year ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

The fact that pokemon is a huge theme and franchise doesn't mean they will sell more pinball machine in the end. Look what happen with WWE, they are huge and have massive fan audience but the theme did not sell to pinball buyers.

WWE is 1 grain of sand on a Pokemon beach. (but I missed Pokemon by a few years; not interested)

#31508 1 year ago

This isn't my quote.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 2.31.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-29 at 2.31.54 PM (resized).png
#31656 1 year ago

^^^ I like how you're 100% in frame and he's cut off like an ex.

#31667 1 year ago
bisonstern (resized).jpgbisonstern (resized).jpg
#31914 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Over 100 TNA pins sold in the first 2 minutes... I am expecting a price hike from Stern this go around. I'm not hoping for one, but I'm expecting it.

Nah. TNA is its own crowd. It's actually boo-tique. Notice they are not sold out yet. The 100 weirdos got theirs That's all.

#31916 1 year ago

^^^ ahem I'm in the 2.0 weirdo gang. Let's get weird!

#31962 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Crystal Skull was very disappointing from Indy CGI swinging over crates

Don't forget the horrible CG ants! IJ4 was already a low-energy assisted-living Harry Ford. I can't even imagine IJ5.

#31976 1 year ago

What a way to deflate the hype by missing your mark, though. Stern is losing sales by the day. They can at least reveal the teaser if they're a little delayed with everything else.

#32000 1 year ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

If that is your argument you are wrong. This isn’t an attack on you personally but more everyone in society with the action movie=better mentality.

T2 isn't just dumb action. It's got everything including humor and emotion. The look of pure terror on Sarah's face when she sees Terminator walking out of the elevator in slow-mo is the greatest scene in movie history. Admittedly it wouldn't hold such gravitas if it wasn't for the first movie, but the fact remains. Go back and watch T2 if it's been awhile. It's fucking fantastic from beginning to end. T1 is cool, but it didn't have it "all" like T2 does.

Come with me if you want to live... [chef's kiss]

#32003 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Jaws license only gets you the title Jaws, the shark and the Orca. No music, no actors, nothing else. If Stern can pull an Erwin Juraasic Park and make a mostly original shark hunting game out of it, great! Just saying, most of what you love about the movie can't be included.
(see also BTTF where you don't get Doc or Marty)

How do you know the contract terms for either?

#32066 1 year ago
Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

Loved T2 as well as well, but Edward Furlong..... ugh

I'll give you that. He was annoying. But I overlook it because that's how a kid would act IRL. Kids are annoying.

#32176 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'd go He-Man over GI Joe.
It's visually more interesting and doesn't involve guns or the military.

As a kid, I much preferred GI Joe specifically because of the technology and weapons. I never liked fantasy stuff. I couldn't sit through the first LOTR and never tried again. Different strokes I guess.

#32182 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Technically speaking this thread is the "NEXT" Stern pinball and there is no way BT*F is even in the next three.

You hate BTTF. We get it.

#32509 1 year ago
Quoted from Bellystyle:

It is absolutely true that you will be paying the new higher price.

It makes my head spin how unethical that is.

1 week later
#32918 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Any confirmation of Kaminkow involvement with Sterns new 007?

If no, it guarantees BTTF.

#32935 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Gameplay over everything.

So you'd be happy if your entire collection was whitewoods?

1 week later
#33056 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

I could say the same thing and we still average out. There are a lot of people who would buy if they could get a LE for 8K.
If you read what i'm saying is, it's faster and cheaper to produce a single line without options, if that is true, then the full machine could be cheaper to produce.
The complexity of the options and making them different makes ALL of the machines more expensive. Can you agree with that, or does it make them cheaper?
Just the design process is more difficult, then you have the different wire harnesses, code, graphics, etc. You get the point. It's expensive to make all of these options different.

Coming from a software development perspective (particularly UX design), I agree. Stern should can the Pro and design the best ONE GAME they can. Keep the LE the same game with bling like they have been doing. That strategy really should lower the price some, if they were ethical. Maybe meet in the middle between Pro and Premium prices of today. As a designer, there's nothing I hate more than making something I'm happy with, and then needing to figure out how to make it worse. I mean, Stern designers do a great job making Pros good, but it's a waste of resources. They could be well on their way designing the next thing if they only had to worry about 1 game.

#33199 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Stream of the game is a couple weeks away per George.
Waiting on some vid/music approval.

You'd think they would get that sorted ahead of time...

#33204 1 year ago

Hard to tell from the pic, but if the "classic score reel" is just an animation on an lcd.... uh..... and I get what they were going for with the cabinet art, but that is literally zero effort.

#33245 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

seems like all the games are named after the movie, not James Bond (look at the plaque on the pro and premium)
It's funny how none of the James Bond games actually say James Bond. Even the Elwin Edition says 007 and not James Bond

Quoted from Psw757:

I find it odd as well, makes you wonder if they will not have the famous Bond….James Bond line in the audio. Pretty lame if left out.

Well, it's accurate. None of Ian Fleming's works have "James Bond" in the title. I don't think *that* has anything to do with audio/callouts. We didn't get a Bilbo Baggins pin did we?

#33331 1 year ago
Quoted from Inpw:

Sick of It All

You and me both, buddy.

#33342 1 year ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Stern's support is fantastic.

Heck, I've even seen Gomez jump in on Facebook comments to help folks fix their games. Now that's service!

1 week later
#33501 1 year ago

Dahmer pin when?

dahmerslapsave (resized).jpgdahmerslapsave (resized).jpg

1 month later
#34078 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/657302232690032/

Cool that Seth is acknowledging vidya games. He's only been at Stern a year, so everything we're seeing was in the can before he arrived. It's plausible we'll start seeing a skew towards a younger demographic soon. Gary seems genuinely on board with him. Excited to see how he steers the ship.

I think the first pin company to land a solid video game license will be ahead of the game.

#34081 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Where the heck is Sonic?!

It really is the closest 1 : 1 transition to pinball there is, no matter how you feel about the franchise. And Sega is generous with licensing. But Sonic isn't really A-list these days. Slight risk there.

#34121 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I just hope this pin market will correct in a year or two. Then prices can hopefully go back to where they were pre-covid

I think it's already happening... with the huge production number Sterns from the past 2 years at least. Distros still sitting on unsold Rush and Led Zepps. And you'll never need to pay full retail for a TS4.

#34243 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Last time they moved they were shipping games at the old factory on a Friday and then were making games at the new place the following Monday
The game development side shouldn't be slowed down too much

When I worked at Microsoft and they had to move whole buildings of people, they hired a literal army to help move. We were in the new building the following day.

#34248 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm done with NIB... but I'd buy the shitake mushrooms out of a pin based on this.

10 kittens perish every time Chris Pratt says "Letsa go".

#34269 1 year ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Back to stern.
I think we will see great things with a production expansion. Possibly 5 releases a year?

Sure. Whatever keeps them from delivering current releases in a timely fashion. New orders only 6 months out? Way too close for comfort. They'll finally have the backlog capacity unlike anything we've seen before!

#34320 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Worked at Wendy’s 6 yrs through high school. Still get nightmares about it. One of the shittiest jobs there is. They deserve $20 hr.
5.50 hired in 1999 ended at $7.15.
Med frosty was 99 cents now over $2
Should’ve worked elsewhere but if I didn’t work there my next boss wouldn’t have heard about me, wouldn’t have learned website design with him and start my belt empire that affords me pins. Worked out perfect I guess.

I'm 42 and have been working since 15 years old. I have shitty work experiences too, with a success story at the end. Funny how working hard and testing yourself prepares you for seizing opportunities that may come in the future. I'm looking at the inflation calculator, and what I was paid in shitty jobs between 1995-2002 is still below $15/hr in today's money. Soooo..... *shrug*. The "living wage" argument is lost on me. I'm not trying to raise a family at 15 years old living with my mom lmao. I woulda been dead at 15.

#34326 1 year ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

why not make a GOOD Street Fighter 2 game with both of those aspects? I know Gottleib made a bad one in the 90's

I still enjoy it. It has plenty of challenge to make it worth playing. Add the custom color dmd Malenko made and it’s a solid affordable title. But yeah a new Street Fighter pin would be cool. There’s hype for it again because Street Fighter 6 is almost out.

#34430 1 year ago

Avatar 2 gonna flop big time. Cameron is way too far up his own ass at this point.

#34476 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

If they can afford Star Wars and the Beatles. Then why are they are putting out IPs like Godzilla and Rush.

They're saving up for the BTTF motherload.

#34479 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Gameplay to titles. Im not denying Godzilla is a good game. What I am saying is if Stern can get the Star Wars IP which is one of the top 5 of all time. I think they can afford a better IP than their last 3 games.

Someone said this before, but they make more money (in theory) with cheap IPs because their prices don't change regardless of IP. They eat the cost of higher priced IPs. That said, one could argue they'll sell more games for more popular IPs so maybe the point is moot. But I also think it's the personal biases toward certain stuff at the executive level. Hopefully Seth can turn that around a bit.

#34499 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I find it really weird it does not say James Bond anywhere on the translite or the box.

This again? Ian Fleming never included "James Bond" in the titles of his novels.

But I tend to agree the Connery era of Bond has a limited fanbase. The "top XX of all time" metric is less compelling when the franchise spans multiple generations and the product in question is only a (very old) piece of it.

1 month later
#35579 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

2022-2023 will be the years that the new pinball machine price ceiling was found and exceeded.
A costly mistake for Stern Pinball and Jersey Jack Pinball.
Let's hope that reality hits for these manufacturers and things settle down from here.
[quoted image]

Especially after recent facility expansions. Pinflation has peaked. They have no choice. Buyers market incoming. See you on the other side, fellas.

#35618 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Yes, several distributors still have them, several listed in the marketplace as well, almost 20, exception of a few very confused people, they are all mostly at MSRP. This is the first release in a long time, where pro premium LE and even the super LE are all in stock after release and production.
Part of this could be due to how the release and reveal were handled as well as the lackluster code shown and implemented so far and of course the new pricing. Curious to see if we see the same thing with the next cornerstone release.

Production speed has improved recently and with so many new (and good) games the past 5 years across all manufacturers, the market is getting saturated. Supply is catching up with demand. I'm looking forward to price adjustments on the secondhand market, as well as manufacturers sweating bullets deciding whether or not to lower prices.

#35630 1 year ago

If Bond isn't flying off the shelves, Foo Fighters will be a mistake.

2 weeks later
#36107 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am not sure FOMO is granted for FOO Fighters? Do you guys think this game will have mass appeal?

For those with distributor friends, was Bond a letdown? Outside looking in, I don't think it sold well. I think Foo will be the same or *slightly* better. Now Venom? This is a long stretch of C-list IP (yes, Boomer Bond is C-list for a lot of us). If JJP's bombshell Harry Potter tease is true, good luck Stern.

BTW, not trying to offend anyone. Just my personal taste and I'm probably not alone. Music is super subjective.

#36118 1 year ago
Quoted from Lounge:

“Bombshell Harry Potter” … like bombshell Toy Story, Willy Wonka, Wizard of Oz????
POTC (while not immediate) and Guns and Roses are JJP’s best efforts. If they release a Harry Potter, it’s the parents of millennials that will be buying them for their kids just like the movie tickets.
JJP needs to get off this kiddie theme stuff. They’re great at making games but their theme choices just baffle me.

TS, Wonka, and WOZ aren't in the same league as HP. They are C-list as well, with the exception of maybe Toy Story. HP is solid A-List. And I don't even like HP. I know zero about it, other than it makes a ton of money in box office and merch.

#36132 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I'd like to ask Gomez or someone at Stern why they keep doing this. I think maybe 2 games in the last 20 have shipped with 1.0 code.

Dev cycle is too short, for increased sales cycles. Sadly, consumers have accepted this behavior in video games and evidently pinball too.

#36170 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

It was confirmed a long time ago by IP titan Joe K. That if HP is going to be made, for which he controls the license for pinball, it will be done by Stern. Here is his TWIP statement on the matter.
[quoted image] Even Pintastic is billing Godfather as JJP’s next release. [quoted image]

Welp. Either Jack has HP or he's the biggest troll in history. (screenshot taken after Foo was announced)

Pinside_forum_7424609_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7424609_0 (resized).png
#36197 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wondering how this game will do in a bar scene? I may underestimate the hipster scene nowadays-could be HUGE!

Depends on the bar I suppose. Foo Fighters is still too dad rock for the <35 crowd.

#36201 1 year ago
Quoted from BW1029:

Have been a longtime casual player and now a new owner of a Bond Prem. I'm already hooked and am plotting on what my 2nd machine should be(pending wife approval of course). Honest question though with all this discussion about themes. I appreciate a good theme but how do you weight theme vs layout/playability. I know its ultimately personal opinion but it feels like such a hard decision when committing to one game to own and play vs. feeding quarters wherever my heart desired.

I feel like you gotta love the theme AND layout to buy a game. If either falls short, why spend so much money? This is especially true if you live in an area with decent locations.

#36216 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Someday they will make BTTF....and so many people will be upset with it

At this point, I doubt it. Even if it's a bad game, people will just accept that it exists so they can finally move on.

#36351 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Stern all- access website LE's are gone. Not sure the amount.
[quoted image]

It's a marketing gimmick IMO.

#36405 1 year ago

I'm not a fan of ZY's art style but it's pretty much perfect for G1 Transformers. One can dream.

#36486 1 year ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Not to derail this thread btw - I’m seriously curious: What defines my ‘style’ and what don’t you like about it?
Legit question as all I ever try to do is spend every second I can squeeze out of a schedule trying to prove that you can create unique and interesting composition and drawings that hopefully look like they’re worth the price and are thoughtful to the subject at hand. There’s more - but that’s the basic gist…
But something about that is unlikeable to you so I am curious. Not trying to be a dick - legit trying to understand in case I’ve been wasting my life
I haven’t had a vacation in 10+ years as a result btw. So I really do question my efforts. This could help!
/end derailment

It was an off-hand comment of a personal opinion that is irrelevant to your work. The "no vacation in 10 years" is part of the problem for me. I'd like to see more variety in Stern titles. Relatively speaking, your work is some of the best pinball has ever seen, but when so many releases are illustrated by you, they start to look a little same-y and perhaps less impactful (which would be true of any artist). If that means less work/income, then I apologize for that statement as well. You do you. Just one consumer's opinions on a pinball forum not directly aimed at you in the first place... not to mention praising you for wanting to see you handle my literal favorite franchise.

2 months later
#37199 11 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

MORTAL KOMBAT please.
Ed Boon, the creator of Mortal Kombat used to work on coding pinball machines for Williams in the late 80's. He also did the voice for Rudy in Funhouse.
Mortal Kombat 12 releases this year, perfect timing!

Update: It's officially called Mortal Kombat 1, and retcons the series. But yeah the timing is perfect.
Also, Venom codename for MK logo (even though technically a dragon) or Reptile?

#37210 11 months ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Still thinking Top Gun Maverick would make for a cool (and probably very popular) theme.

I don't really get the popularity, but it's requested enough I guess. They should just build on F-14 with the license. It would cut the dev time in half and be easy money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Muskegon, MI
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
FlipMods

4,894 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
286 posts in this topic match your search for posts by basementfacts. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider basementfacts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=basementfacts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.