IMG_20230126_143046 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230126_191630 (resized).jpg
MadMax (resized).jpg
F31BAD2F-767B-4506-8CA0-CF4E1DABD969 (resized).jpeg
EE0C2C22-DAB6-4DFE-88E6-95AB12280BB9 (resized).jpeg
Futurama (resized).png
batman-vs-superman-dawn-of-justice-movie (resized).jpg
ExaltedRapidKingfisher-size_restricted.gif

There are 35,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 690 of 708.
#34451 51 days ago
Quoted from doublestack:

It's just a mediocre movie that aged like cheese on a radiator.
The main draw were the technical achievements Cameron spearheaded at the time.

Yeah, it was one of those movies that wowed you at the cinema and then you completely forgot about it afterwards. The only thing that will save it as another pinball machine will be if Keith Elwin is designing it. Gameplay trumps a mediocre theme.

#34452 51 days ago

Keep riding that ticket. JP and GZ didnt age well. Time for new ideas.

#34453 51 days ago

Someone asked if they have a new better lcd screen… anyone know? Not washed out blacks.

#34454 51 days ago

No idea.

#34455 51 days ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Either was the movie, sorry but hated it. But as usual like all the comic marvel movies which never interest me I always wish and hope the pin is fun to play if at least made

Heh. I never saw the middle of the movie. I took my kids and one of their friends to see it. The 3D (which was neat) made my daughter very sick about 1/3 of the way in, so much that I had to take her home (where she promptly projectile vomited all over the place as soon as she stumbled into the master bathroom). After getting her settled and cleaning up the bathroom (parent fun), I made it back to see the end of the movie with the guy in the mech.

And I never watched it again to see the whole middle I missed.

#34456 51 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Heh. I never saw the middle of the movie. I took my kids and one of their friends to see it. The 3D (which was neat) made my daughter very sick about 1/3 of the way in, so much that I had to take her home (where she promptly projectile vomited all over the place as soon as she stumbled into the master bathroom). After getting her settled and cleaning up the bathroom (parent fun), I made it back to see the end of the movie with the guy in the mech.
And I never watched it again to see the whole middle I missed.

Aw man that sucks.

We just rode the ride at Disney and it was bonkers! Kids loved it. My son is a huge fan.

We got tickets for next weekend at one of the largest true imax screens in the nation. And it's in 3D. Went to see the star wars movies there as well. Can't wait to see this movie in 3D especially after the ride at Disney!

#34457 51 days ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Aw man that sucks.
We just rode the ride at Disney and it was bonkers! Kids loved it. My son is a huge fan.
We got tickets for next weekend at one of the largest true imax screens in the nation. And it's in 3D. Went to see the star wars movies there as well. Can't wait to see this movie in 3D especially after the ride at Disney!

Have fun with the kids man! Thats what life is all about.

#34458 51 days ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Have fun with the kids man! Thats what life is all about.

No doubt! After this week (they've both been home sick with the flu) it will be nice to get there next weekend!

Being huge imax 3D the price is the same as a normal screen. It's about an hour and a half away but it's also in the air and space museum so it's an entire day and experience!

#34459 51 days ago

I'm still.hoping that Stern gets the GI JOE license and goes all in on an original cartoon style pin!

The way sterns shoot I think would be best served on this theme. It could be amazing and there's loads of content!

Was anyone else a huge Joe's fan back in their childhood like I was?

#34460 51 days ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I'm still.hoping that Stern gets the GI JOE license and goes all in on an original cartoon style pin!
The way sterns shoot I think would be best served on this theme. It could be amazing and there's loads of content!

2019 Expo in Chicago, Jody from Stern was wearing a GI Joe shirt.

#34461 51 days ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I've never thought of this idea before but it sounds awesome. Huge fan in the 80's of Joe! I don't know how relevant the theme is to anyone else, but late gen x /early millennial would eat it up.

#34462 51 days ago

Prince6 has a thing against Disney so this fits.

#34463 51 days ago

Often.

#34464 51 days ago

Next Stern pin: Scooby Doo 2.0

#34465 51 days ago

I just love Avatar. Great great movie and blew me away.
Soundtrack by James Horner is just amazing and no cheesy actors.
Storyline is ok, but the total is impressive at least. In 3D even more.
Visuals are great, Zoe Saldana at her best.

You can say whatever you want, the movie stands out for so many reasons.
Seems people have difficulties accepting the fact that it's the best earning movie. Maybe a lot have watched the movie, but have not seen it.

For example I do not like star wars at all. I experience it as quite stupid and hard to believe the story and setting but who am I to say that it's bad. If that much people love it then there must be something really good about it

#34466 51 days ago

Avatar is the best presentation of a bad movie ever made.

#34467 51 days ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Seems people have difficulties accepting the fact that it's the best earning movie. Maybe a lot have watched the movie, but have not seen it.

The movie blew my mind when it came out in the theater. I watched it again a couple of years ago and it just didn't age well. I think it was more the visuals and effects than the story or characters that I liked.

It's still ok but it's no Star Wars franchise.

#34468 51 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

I watched it again a couple of years ago and it just didn't age well.

Funny thing is I find myself watching Titanic over and over(because my daughters favorite movie) more so than Avatar. Today I would instantly turn off Avatar if it came up on TV. It has lost it's cinematic magic and now is just a cheesy love story to me.

I would entertain a Titanic pin before another Avatar(does absolutely zero for me)

#34469 51 days ago
pocovatar (resized).png
#34470 51 days ago

This is awesome! And I am sure you can go back in time before Pocahontas and make that same claim to that movie..... At no time have I heard anyone say its orginal storyline. But since I like science fiction and fantasy genre more, and the special effects, cgi, were slightly better than Pocahontas, it is Avatar ftw.

#34471 51 days ago

If Spooky can afford a IP like Scooby Doo. I don't see why Stern can not shell out the money for a big name. If a top tier IP costs $1,000,000 and lets say Stern sells 5,000 games that's about $200 for the IP per machine. That is a very realistic and doable number. If they can afford Star Wars and the Beatles. Then why are they are putting out IPs like Godzilla and Rush.

#34472 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

If Spooky can afford a IP like Scooby Doo. I don't see why Stern can not shell out the money for a big name. If a top tier IP costs $1,000,000 and lets say Stern sells 5,000 games that's about $200 for the IP per machine. That is a very realistic and doable number. If they can afford Star Wars and the Beatles. Then why are they are putting out IPs like Godzilla and Rush.

What top IPs are they missing?

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Godzilla is the top-rated pinball machine of all time. It will probably be the best-selling game of the past 20 years when they are done making them. About 2,300 Pinsiders own a Godzilla (Pro/Premium/LE).

#34473 51 days ago

With Scooby Doo from Spooky, does this mean stern took the Speed Buggy or Jabber Jaw license they were hoping for?

Jabberjaw-Scooby-Doo-Ripoffs (resized).jpg
#34474 51 days ago

If money was no object, Fast and the Furious would be a great license. But all the films, actors, car rights, etc... probably not tenable from a BOM license stand point.

Also there is some benefit to a "cheaper" license like Godzilla vs Led Zeppelin. Look at the difference on the playfield when your BOM isn't mostly eaten up by music rights...

#34475 51 days ago

#34476 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

If they can afford Star Wars and the Beatles. Then why are they are putting out IPs like Godzilla and Rush.

They're saving up for the BTTF motherload.

#34477 51 days ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

They're saving up for the BTTF motherload.

I can wait 2 more years for my Grail machine. In the meantime its Scooby for me!

#34478 51 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

What top IPs are they missing?
Also, in case you haven't noticed, Godzilla is the top-rated pinball machine of all time. It will probably be the best-selling game of the past 20 years when they are done making them. About 2,300 Pinsiders own a Godzilla (Pro/Premium/LE).

You are comparing apples to oranges. Gameplay to titles. Im not denying Godzilla is a good game. What I am saying is if Stern can get the Star Wars IP which is one of the top 5 of all time. I think they can afford a better IP than their last 3 games.

#34479 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Gameplay to titles. Im not denying Godzilla is a good game. What I am saying is if Stern can get the Star Wars IP which is one of the top 5 of all time. I think they can afford a better IP than their last 3 games.

Someone said this before, but they make more money (in theory) with cheap IPs because their prices don't change regardless of IP. They eat the cost of higher priced IPs. That said, one could argue they'll sell more games for more popular IPs so maybe the point is moot. But I also think it's the personal biases toward certain stuff at the executive level. Hopefully Seth can turn that around a bit.

#34480 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

James Bond is one of the most popular franchises in history.

#34481 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Godzilla is apparently one of their best sellers and it's a massive world wide IP.

Also Spooky is doing a limited release, such a license is typically far cheaper than what Stern wants, which is a product they are going to be producing and selling for years with no set number attached to it, it's an ongoing cornerstone product. A license like that costs big bucks, compared to doing a one shot limited run product like what Spooky has been doing.

That also brings with it, risk. You are spending up front big money on a multi year license with no guarantee that it's going to pay off, doing a closed one shot limited time sale pretty much guarantees your math

#34482 51 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

If money was no object, Fast and the Furious would be a great license. But all the films, actors, car rights, etc... probably not tenable from a BOM license stand point.

It almost happened, but apparently fell through. Mustang is what it became.

#34483 51 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

There's a difference between an expensive license and a fun license that appeals to people. What is cooler than giant monsters beating the crap out of each other and trashing a city? I don't care if the monsters are wearing 1950's rubber suits, it's just awesome fun and so is Scooby.

#34484 51 days ago

Licenses from TV shows or movie series with lots of episodes or film to pick from are ideal.

The only modern Stern LCD games I can think of based off of a single movie are Guardians of the Galaxy.

#34485 51 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It almost happened, but apparently fell through. Mustang is what it became.

I thought that one was supposed to be Hunger Games, or was that WWE?

#34486 51 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I thought that one was supposed to be Hunger Games, or was that WWE?

Not sure about WWE/Hunger Games. I always heard Mustang was supposed to be Fast and Furious, which makes sense given the car theme.

#34487 50 days ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

For example I do not like star wars at all. I experience it as quite stupid and hard to believe the story and setting but who am I to say that it's bad. If that much people love it then there must be something really good about it

Groundbreaking special effects, killer visuals, fantastic sound stage. However, I can't think of a more wooden actor than Sam Worthington.

#34488 50 days ago

I actually think James more casted his voice than his human performance. And the fact that he was a more lowe profile actor than a well known one. That way it wouldn't distract too much when he was running his Avatar body. Clever by James Cameron
I even like Stephen Langs performance a lot! Norm and Trudy are for me the less interesting actors.. not alone say they had a deleted bed scene!

I compare Avatar to Tron legacy... Visually breathtaking, great atmosphere, great sound, less good storyline, but I always enjoy watching it alot.

#34489 50 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It does have a lot of stuff in it. We'll see how the code shapes up, because the quality of Stern gamecode is (generally) leaps and bounds better than what Spooky does. The stuff and layout may attract you to the game, but the quality of the gamecode is what keeps you coming back to play.
There is a reason why HWM/UM are as available and cheap as they are on the secondary market...

When podcasters and haters here dont get the fan l

Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also there is some benefit to a "cheaper" license like Godzilla vs Led Zeppelin. Look at the difference on the playfield when your BOM isn't mostly eaten up by music rights...

I thought Mustang(Remember that!) was supposed to be Fast and the Furious.. Decent pin with some good music. I could see this being an easy retheme actually.

#34490 50 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

James Bond is one of the most popular franchises in history.

James bond doesnt even break the top 20. Which is crazy to believe.

#34491 50 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

James bond doesnt even break the top 20. Which is crazy to believe.

what

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series

It's behind Marvel Cinematic Universe, Star Wars, Spider-Man, and Harry Potter.

#34493 50 days ago

ok? But stop acting like Bond is a small franchise when you're citing it from a "top 25 highest grossing media franchises of all time" listicle

#34494 50 days ago

That's not adjusted for inflation. Almost half the movies came out in the 60s and 70s.

In any case, James Bond certainly qualifies as a top IP even if it's "only" the 22nd all-time highest grossing franchise.

Would you prefer a Hello Kitty pinball machine instead?

#34495 50 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

ok? But stop acting like Bond is a small franchise when you're citing it from a "top 25 highest grossing media franchises of all time" listicle

Dude i never said it was. I just pointed out its not as big as you think it is.

#34496 50 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Dude i never said it was. I just pointed out its not as big as you think it is.

But it's on the top 25 of all time? How is it not "as big" as I think it is? You just said it was a "very small franchise compared to others"

Whatever.

#34497 50 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

That's not adjusted for inflation. Almost half the movies came out in the 60s and 70s.
In any case, James Bond certainly qualifies as a top IP even if it's "only" the 22nd all-time highest grossing franchise.
Would you prefer a Hello Kitty pinball machine instead?

Again never said it wasn't big just as not as big as people think. You don't count for inflation sorry its not that big. I highly doubt it will sell as well as people think. As you said most of the movies came out from 60-70s that's 50-60 years ago. Plus I find it really weird it does not say James Bond anywhere on the translite or the box.

#34498 50 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

But it's on the top 25 of all time? How is it not "as big" as I think it is? You just said it was a "very small franchise compared to others"
Whatever.

You are acting like its its top 3 of all time. It is a very small franchise compared to others. Its 22 out of 25. That is bottom of the pack.

#34499 50 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I find it really weird it does not say James Bond anywhere on the translite or the box.

This again? Ian Fleming never included "James Bond" in the titles of his novels.

But I tend to agree the Connery era of Bond has a limited fanbase. The "top XX of all time" metric is less compelling when the franchise spans multiple generations and the product in question is only a (very old) piece of it.

#34500 50 days ago

This thread is fun like drinking battery acid is fun… I just can’t stop myself.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
12,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilbert, AZ
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon Hills, IL
There are 35,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 690 of 708.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!