51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1713427968712 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 725 of 941.
#36201 1 year ago
Quoted from BW1029:

Have been a longtime casual player and now a new owner of a Bond Prem. I'm already hooked and am plotting on what my 2nd machine should be(pending wife approval of course). Honest question though with all this discussion about themes. I appreciate a good theme but how do you weight theme vs layout/playability. I know its ultimately personal opinion but it feels like such a hard decision when committing to one game to own and play vs. feeding quarters wherever my heart desired.

I feel like you gotta love the theme AND layout to buy a game. If either falls short, why spend so much money? This is especially true if you live in an area with decent locations.

#36202 1 year ago

How many posts on here have been asking for BTTF, Jaws, Van Halen, MOTU, Super Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon? Instead they made Rush, Bond, and Foo. Great market research.

#36203 1 year ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

How many posts on here have been asking for BTTF, Jaws, Van Halen, MOTU, and Pokemon? Instead they made Rush, Bond, and Foo. Great market research.

That's because they aren't making games for you or me..... they're making games for themselves.

#36204 1 year ago

How many posts on here have been asking for BTTF, Jaws, Van Halen, MOTU, Super Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon? Instead they made Rush, Bond, and Foo. Great market research.

Clearly, they are making terrible decisions, based on their lack of current backlog of games.

Oh wait...

#36205 1 year ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Clearly, they are making terrible decisions, based on their lack of current backlog of games.
Oh wait...

Who else here agrees with this guy? So the last few themes were poppin?

#36206 1 year ago

Three of those are from one of the most tightly-guarded, controlling companies in any industry. Pinside is not "the market" and this sort of thinking highlights why.

#36207 1 year ago

my bad I forgot the pinside thread motto regarding stern. "They should raise prices, why shouldn't they?" really.

#36208 1 year ago

Who else here agrees with this guy? So the last few themes were poppin?

“Poppin”… is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Quoted from astro_judge:

Three of those are from one of the most tightly-guarded, controlling companies in any industry. Pinside is not "the market" and this sort of thinking highlights why.

Perhaps that is why Stern isn’t “poppin”. I think I am starting to understand finally!

#36209 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

“Poppin”… is that what the kids are calling it these days?

community-poppop.gifcommunity-poppop.gif
#36210 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

There is no way that if you put out a survey the results would show in favor of foo over bttf.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#36211 1 year ago

my bad. groovy, hip, legit, slick.

#36212 1 year ago

Someday they will make BTTF....and so many people will be upset with it

#36213 1 year ago

K

Quoted from BW1029:

Have been a longtime casual player and now a new owner of a Bond Prem. I'm already hooked and am plotting on what my 2nd machine should be(pending wife approval of course). Honest question though with all this discussion about themes. I appreciate a good theme but how do you weight theme vs layout/playability. I know its ultimately personal opinion but it feels like such a hard decision when committing to one game to own and play vs. feeding quarters wherever my heart desired.

Like you said, everyone is different. Some people are all about the theme. Others are more interested in the layout & rules. And it’s all just personal preference.

For me owning at home, I want it to stay interesting for awhile. So for me that means a pin with

1. A good layout with a couple interesting shots

2. A rule set & callouts that make it fun to play and that gives those energetic pinball moments where you celebrate accomplishing something, and

3. Depth with a few fun wizard modes that makes it not terribly easy to get to the end of the game.

So theme is relatively low on my list of factors.

However, while a great layout is certainly nice, I think an average layout with good rules and good callouts/music can be much better to play and own than a great layout with average rules and bland callouts/music.

#36214 1 year ago

poppin, fresh, lit...try those

#36215 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I won't be upset. Good or bad shooter, I'll sit on the sidelines and save up some money for a theme that I like. Maybe by the time it comes out in 2025 from Homepin, I might change my mind.

#36216 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

At this point, I doubt it. Even if it's a bad game, people will just accept that it exists so they can finally move on.

#36217 1 year ago

Im out. its not necessarily the themes but the methodology that sucks. we spend hours thinking up and discussing themes here. none of which get made, then we are expected to pay 10k for something no one asked for. makes sense.

#36218 1 year ago

Im out. its not necessarily the themes but the methodology that sucks. we spend hours thinking up and discussing themes here. none of which get made, then we are expected to pay 10k for something no one asked for. makes sense.

Confused… you’re “out” of what exactly? This thread? ‘Expected to pay’ for something?

Yes… very confused indeed.

#36219 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Confused… you’re “out” of what exactly? This thread? ‘Expected to pay’ for something?
Yes… very confused indeed.

Im out = I have to get back to work.

#36220 1 year ago

There is no way that if you put out a survey the results would show in favor of foo over bttf.

That might be the case, but there are plenty of factors other than just public opinion that go into these choices. Another company might own the rights to the license or maybe Stern knows that BTTF4 is coming out in 2028 and they should be patient. Companies will listen to feedback from customers, but only to a point. They're not a pinball co-op. Also, you're not "expected" to fork over your money if you don't want to. This might sound crazy, but people other than yourself might be interested in something you aren't.

#36221 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

This might sound crazy, but people other than yourself might be interested in something you aren't.

That’s just madness, sir. Madness.

#36222 1 year ago

How come we don’t mention release # for Stern’s cornerstones, when we do this for every other manufacturer? JJP release #9, AP release #5, Spooky release #9, CGC release #4 and Stern release #??. See how it is different? I guess we could agree to a starting year and count them once and for all. Counting all versions of a pin as one, Stern must have 65+ of them.

Or perhaps, beginning with release #10, a company grows up and joins the big boy leagues. The Big Boys are built to stay and I guess, have earned the right not to have to be tracked as closely as the startup companies. There is but one company in the big boy club right now - Stern. At the door are Spooky and JJP.

#36223 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

That might be the case, but there are plenty of factors other than just public opinion that go into these choices. Another company might own the rights to the license or maybe Stern knows that BTTF4 is coming out in 2028 and they should be patient. Companies will listen to feedback from customers, but only to a point. They're not a pinball co-op. Also, you're not "expected" to fork over your money if you don't want to. This might sound crazy, but people other than yourself might be interested in something you aren't.

I think that pinside and youtube play a bigger role in the primary and secondary market for the pinball hobby than you realize.

#36224 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How come we don’t mention release # for Stern’s cornerstones, when we do this for every other manufacturer? JJP release #8, AP release #5, Spooky release #9, Stern release #???. See how it is different? I guess we could agree to start date and count them up once and for all. Suggest counting all versions of a pin as a single and Stern must have 65+ of them.

Because the rest make so relatively few you can kinda keep them all in ordered in your head. Stern has made over 20 Spike 2 games alone...

And also how far back do you go with the counting. Just Stern Pinball? Data East Pinball? Pinstar? Stern Electronics? The Sam Stern games at Williams?

#36225 1 year ago

I think that pinside and youtube play a bigger role in the primary and secondary market for the pinball hobby than you realize.

Okay.... and? That still doesn't mean Stern is expected to cater to those audiences. It feels like you're frustrated that Stern doesn't act based on input from a subset of their customers -- which I can sort of understand, I guess -- but why should they? They certainly aren't struggling to find success. They're leading their industry in a boom period for a niche hobby.

Every game / theme / layout / art package / ruleset will have people who are in or out based on totally personal reasons, so there's no reason to let that same public dictate business decisions.

#36226 1 year ago
Quoted from astro_judge:

Okay.... and? That still doesn't mean Stern is expected to cater to those audiences. It feels like you're frustrated that Stern doesn't act based on input from a subset of their customers -- which I can sort of understand, I guess -- but why should they? They certainly aren't struggling to find success. They're leading their industry in a boom period for a niche hobby.
Every game / theme / layout / art package / ruleset will have people who are in or out based on totally personal reasons, so there's no reason to let that same public dictate business decisions.

This is exactly my point. Do we all agree with this?

#36227 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You mean you have to use your hands?

96A713CB-4600-4168-8789-8355EB27BBDF.gif96A713CB-4600-4168-8789-8355EB27BBDF.gif
#36228 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm 35 and think of Foo Fighters as more like "my older brother's rock" than dad rock. But they're closing in on my demographic!

I'm the same age as Dave - it's 100% dad rock LOL

#36229 1 year ago

This is exactly my point. Do we all agree with this?

What is your point to agree with exactly? That Stern should start acting based on input from the community? Or that not doing so means they don't care about their customers or something?

#36230 1 year ago

Both.

#36231 1 year ago

Foo Talk.

#36232 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Yeah, so I've decided that because I didn't experience this band in real time, and to me the alternative grunge trend came and went with the 90s, the conversion won't ever happen for me. I appreciate the intro, but It actually hurts my ears, truth be told. Run, was ouch. Pretender was different but better and gave me some hope, then walk, left me puzzled and realizing I just missed the FF van and really big picture perspective is that I never got the grunge thing in my blood, never hung around with grunge or punk crowds and exposure to the vault of alternative grunge sound past the turn of the millennium is not going to bring me in as a new FF fan and as such their humor is also a miss.
Learn to fly is likely the only song I can listen to all the way through and say, yeah, that's a big hit. Everything else is FFFO (Foo fighter fans only) to me.
I can appreciate the musicianship and can see how it's good pinball music for the deep FF fans of the 90s who happen to also like pinball, enough to make it a successful venture for Stern, probably similar to Rush. Dedicated, older, pinhead fan base with cash to buy. Hopefully FF turns out to play at least as well as Rush does ! I'm excited you get your #1 music theme for sure, and I know what that is like since Rush is my all time favorite !
Looking forward to playing it on location. Thanks again for the FF ride, if nothing else I learned how unaware I was about how successful of a band they actually are, which by nature is a bit of a paradox for me. If I'm unaware of their existence for decades, except two songs from the late 90s, are they really that successful? Lol. Rush had success with little to no mainstream acceptance or radio airplay so for that reason I do understand and relate to how this paradox can exist... And the fact grohl is such a big Rush fan, makes total sense... So maybe Learn to fly their Tom Sawyer. The one everyone recognizes, if they know any at all.

No worries at all, music is so subjective...I can tell you where I was and what I was doing the day I first heard Nirvana's Smell's Like Teen Spirit the first time..I literally had never heard anything like it...and this was coming from GnR, Def Leppard, ACDC, Van Halen, Metallica, and the harder stuff of the late 80's...This all hit my first year in college in 1990 at age 17, flanel shirts, Doc Martins, binge drinking, Gulf War just started... you get the picture...those 1st 3 years were bonkers and are forever in my DNA now. Foo Fighter's just filled that gap for me from 94 until present, super nostalgic references on most songs I hear from them. Thanks for giving them a chance

#36233 1 year ago

The reason I really respect the Foo Fighters guys is because of their covers of Abba and Bee Gees songs. They pay respect to music from the past that their fan base wouldn't necessarily be into, and it takes a lot of guts (or not giving a shit) to dive into stuff like that and show people it's okay to be influenced by all types of music.

So while they might not be considered "dad rock" (for at least the next few years), they wouldn't be who they are without having listened to it growing up.

#36234 1 year ago

My hope is there will be an alternate music mode which is the Dee-Gees.

#36235 1 year ago
430E623F-D7E4-4555-A694-3288E159014C.gif430E623F-D7E4-4555-A694-3288E159014C.gif
#36236 1 year ago
BB63EE6E-04F6-43C4-826B-76F71C513537.jpegBB63EE6E-04F6-43C4-826B-76F71C513537.jpeg
#36237 1 year ago

Foo info.

8C16C057-DEED-402D-AAE8-6E9DD03F0AED (resized).jpeg8C16C057-DEED-402D-AAE8-6E9DD03F0AED (resized).jpeg
#36238 1 year ago

Hoping video is up to the caliber of Yellow Submarine.

367B23C4-DD26-4BF3-9D6E-7DE6EE5A77D1.gif367B23C4-DD26-4BF3-9D6E-7DE6EE5A77D1.gif431C70F7-E414-4DA0-A0AE-7C0AAA65111A.gif431C70F7-E414-4DA0-A0AE-7C0AAA65111A.gif7018B84B-59A5-4699-95C1-BB02C2D96D53.gif7018B84B-59A5-4699-95C1-BB02C2D96D53.gifD4FCA1E5-9CFE-436A-99D2-5E22DF553C12.gifD4FCA1E5-9CFE-436A-99D2-5E22DF553C12.gif
#36239 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I'm the same age as Dave - it's 100% dad rock LOL

So what's on your "not dad rock" playlist that you would like to see a pin of?

#36240 1 year ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Welp. Either Jack has HP or he's the biggest troll in history. (screenshot taken after Foo was announced)
[quoted image]

Confirmed today: “Jack is the biggest troll in history”, just as you stated.

Now that’s cleared up, we can look forward to seeing FF.

54331FC8-B1D3-4368-9052-31D6E1379AAD (resized).jpeg54331FC8-B1D3-4368-9052-31D6E1379AAD (resized).jpeg

#36241 1 year ago

thanks for the JJP info, good to know. But this is the Stern thread so I’ll ask if anyone remembers Gomez interview that he said Jack Danger’s next pin reflected a new direction for Stern? I am wondering what that meant.

Initially thought he meant any music group needed to provide access to full music and video assets. Or maybe he meant any pin needs to have cooperation and provide voice talent for callouts. I could keep on guessing but I can’t read the tea leaves here. Anybody got a good theory?

#36242 1 year ago

thanks for the JJP info, good to know. But in the Stern thread I’ll ask if anyone remembers Gomez saying in an interview that JD’s next pin reflects a new direction for Stern? I am wondering what that meant.
Initially thought he meant any music group needs to provide access to full music and video assets. Or maybe he meant any pin needs to have cooperation and provide voice talent for callouts. I could keep in guessing but I can’t read the tea leaves here. Anybody got a good theory?

I think in light of the teaser that it means it's not just a "featured band playing their music" pin. It's a themed STORY, original IP, but with a band's music powering it. So for the people decrying the lack of original non-licensed pinball machines, it's a half step in that direction. Essentially a non-licensed theme with licensed music. We'll have to see how it's implemented, but props to JD and Stern for testing giving pinheads what they say they want, in a way that's not too radical for Stern's balance sheet.

#36243 1 year ago

thanks for the JJP info, good to know. But in the Stern thread I’ll ask if anyone remembers Gomez saying in an interview that JD’s next pin reflects a new direction for Stern? I am wondering what that meant.
Initially thought he meant any music group needs to provide access to full music and video assets. Or maybe he meant any pin needs to have cooperation and provide voice talent for callouts. I could keep in guessing but I can’t read the tea leaves here. Anybody got a good theory?

Jack has dealt with a LOT of DMCA garbage while streaming… sure would be awesome if somehow they were able to nip all that in the bud for this pin (i.e. if you bought the pin you could stream with the songs playing loud and proud without worry of that stuff). Probably wishful thinking though.

#36244 1 year ago

As you mention DCMA, I am going to give you my left field theory. One possibility is that this pin’s code only runs on insider connect. One needs internet connection and Stern charges $10 monthly. HOWEVER the Big Bone dangled is that a player can pick their favorite 13 songs from catalog of 40 really good ones imo. Also since all 40 songs are licensed, anyone can STREAM the pin being played with full music and the band’s backing to do so.

The game becomes a personal experience. Play the game. Select 13 other songs and play again. I know it sounds kind George Orwellian, but it could happen and soonish. If you are still here … my personal wish is for $5 more, I could choose my 13 songs from the catalog of 40 great Nirvana songs. That idea makes me SCHWING!

#36245 1 year ago

Foo song list.

B4EEDD93-60DA-466D-983C-ACD6E123104C (resized).jpegB4EEDD93-60DA-466D-983C-ACD6E123104C (resized).jpeg
#36246 1 year ago

15 songs not bad!

#36247 1 year ago

Nice that’s a good amount of songs. That is usually a problem with the music pins is they fall short on the amount of music you get.

#36248 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Foo song list.
[quoted image]

I just listened to all of them. I know/like 3 of those songs. Was hoping I would recognize more of them. Just confirms that it's not a pin for me...and that's okie day. When do we get Eddy's BTTF (code Venom)?

#36249 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

No worries at all, music is so subjective...I can tell you where I was and what I was doing the day I first heard Nirvana's Smell's Like Teen Spirit the first time..I literally had never heard anything like it...and this was coming from GnR, Def Leppard, ACDC, Van Halen, Metallica, and the harder stuff of the late 80's...This all hit my first year in college in 1990 at age 17, flanel shirts, Doc Martins, binge drinking, Gulf War just started... you get the picture...those 1st 3 years were bonkers and are forever in my DNA now. Foo Fighter's just filled that gap for me from 94 until present, super nostalgic references on most songs I hear from them. Thanks for giving them a chance

Awesomeness. Love this. I get it!!!!!

#36250 1 year ago

Created a playlist of songs. I knew and like all but Run. It’s a strong song list. 15 songs is great, but pressuring Stern to add another 6 fans selected songs would be greatest. Especially at this early stage as it appears the songs will be played jukebox style and not be tied to specific modes. So far, Jack Danger has made good choices.

66DE3028-C9CD-4039-AB72-19D70277AD4C.jpeg66DE3028-C9CD-4039-AB72-19D70277AD4C.jpegC3CEF973-1B06-4CCB-925F-3A5292022F64.jpegC3CEF973-1B06-4CCB-925F-3A5292022F64.jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Diddy's Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 47,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 725 of 941.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/725 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.